Seagulls are nasty birds

Dixie Flatline

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To all, thanks for your ongoing support. It's much appreciated to know that you're enjoying the story. icon_smile.gif

I had a scare last night when the computer crashed in the middle of saving the game, but it appears I've only lost the one game I had played prior to saving it the last time, so fingers crossed, we can keep going.

14th of October 2007

Arsenal doesn’t give me a response before Lupoli’s loan expires, and he returns to London, with my words of good fortune in his ears: Arturo Lupoli (20 y/o, ITA, S C): 1(12) apps, 5 goals, av rating: 7.15

15th of October 2007

Jonathan Spector’s loan expires before Manchester United respond to my enquiry, so he returns to Manchester, again with my words of good fortune in his ears: Jonathan Spector (21 y/o, USA 13 caps, 1 goal, D RC): 12 apps, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.67

In brighter news, Patrick Bexfield and Agustín Delgado are listed in the Championship Team of the Week.

16th of October 2007

Unfortunately, Sinama-Pongolle opts for a three-month loan to Wolves. To add insult to injury, El-Hadji Diouf decides to sign with Coventry on a free transfer, resisting all attempts by myself and the chairman, Mr Knight, to woo the Senegalese international to Brighton. When I speak to Diouf’s agent, the reason becomes very clear – the Sky-Blues could offer Diouf triple the wages I was allowed to offer the forward, and there was no way Diouf was going to choose Brighton over Coventry on those terms.

Arsene Wenger thanks me for my continued interest in Lupoli, but makes it clear that Lupoli will not be returning to the Community Stadium in the near future.

With my day full of depressing news, I head home early to spend some quality time with the family, and I try (successfully, thankfully) to leave my troubles at the door as I play with my daughter.

17th of October 2007

“Boss, the reserves beat Rochdale reserves 2-0 at Dark Lane in Burnley, with Bisgaard and Smyth scoring the goals. Bisgaard was the most impressive player from the reserves.â€

“Thanks, Bob. The reserves have done well so far this season, haven’t they?â€

“Yep, boss. We’re first on the ladder at the moment, two points clear of Darlington’s reserves.â€

20th of October 2007

Seagulls loan Villa youngster

Via its official website, Brighton confirmed that Aston Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor has agreed to join the Albion on a three-month loan. Agbonlahor, 21, has made 5(7) appearances for Aston Villa since signing professional terms with the Birmingham club after coming through its youth academy. However, in the last two seasons, Agbonlahor has spent time on loan at Stoke and Swansea. It will be a race against time for Brighton to file the official paperwork with the Football Association to ensure that Agbonlahor is available to play today’s game against Bristol City.

Spector demands reassurances on his future at Old Trafford

Manchester United defender Jonathan Spector, 21, has apparently issued a behind closed doors ultimatum to Red Devils manager, Hugo Sanchez, to play him or risk losing him to another club. Spector, capped 13 times by the USA, has recently completed a loan spell with Championship club Brighton and Hove Albion, and manager, Senor Dixie Flatline, is thought to be a keen admirer of Spector and wishes to take the American permanently to the Albion. Spector is also reputedly attracting the interest of a number of other clubs, including Everton, Leicester and Atletico Madrid.

Reading the latter story on the Guardian’s website makes me smile, as I put the finishing touches to my preparation for this afternoon’s game against Bristol City, last in the league. Bob’s news brings me back to earth a little bit, as he confirms that the U-18s were beaten 2-0 by Bournemouth’s U-18s. Ismaele Solinas, however, impressed Bob with his work ethic and all-round play.

Agbonlahor is registered in time to be considered for selection in today’s match.

Championship – Game 12: Brighton v Bristol City

In the end, Agbonlahor must settle for a place on the bench, as it’s impossible to dislodge the red-hot Agustín Delgado from leading the line for the club in our now favoured 4-1-4-1 formation. Riccardo Scimeca replaces the now-departed Spector at right back, and Adam El-Abd finds a place on the bench.

Against the bottom club in the league, I tell my players that I want a clean sheet and three points. So, you can imagine my horror when we make an awful start to the game, conceding the first goal on 3 minutes. Fagan beats Scimeca to a long ball out of the Bristol City defence and reaches his own knock-down to pull back into the penalty box. Doherty meets the ball and nods it down for Brooker to slam home from point-blank range. icon_frown.gif When Bexfield is tripped inside the Bristol City penalty box 9 minutes later, I feel the relief knowing that we have a penalty and a big opportunity to make amends, but Darren Purse, who takes responsibility for the spot-kick, hits his shot straight at the Bristol City goalkeeper, Steve Phillips, who knocks it down then smothers Purse’s follow-up attempt. icon_mad.gif

However, our trusty predator Agustín Delgado is on hand to turn home the rebound from James Beaumont’s wickedly curving shot, which Phillips could only parry away, on 26 minutes. That’s the cue for the floodgates to open as three minutes later, Delgado collects Purse’s long pass in acres of space near the Bristol City goal and, notwithstanding the desperate attempts of the Bristol City defenders to close down the Ecuadorian, he laconically laces his drive into the back of the net to make it 2-1 on 29 minutes. icon_smile.gif We ensure all three points when Luke Wilkshire’s corner is nonchalantly headed into the back of the Bristol City net by Adam Virgo on 33 minutes and we cruise to a comfortable 3-1 victory. Agbonlahor makes his Brighton debut with about 20 minutes to play, but with the players already in cruise control, he doesn’t have much of an opportunity to shine. The only downside is a slight injury incurred by Patrick Bexfield that will rule him out of our trip to Old Trafford in four days.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Scimeca; Ãlvarez; Bexfield (Oster 71), Beaumont, Wilkshire, O’Donnell; Delgado (Agbonlahor 71).

Bristol City (4-3-3): Phillips; Palmer (Hart 62), Lescott, Clarke, Carey; Osman, Doherty ©, Orr; Fagan (Shuker 62), Brooker, Barnard (Cotterill 73).

Final score: Brighton 3:1 Bristol City

MoM – Agustín Delgado

Our latest victory pushes us into fifth position on the Championship table after twelve games, a magnificent achievement so far. Our next stop – Old Trafford, and the mighty Manchester United.

After the game, Brian Tinnion, manager of Bristol City, tells the media that he believes we have a reasonable chance of remaining a Championship club at the end of the season. That’s more than I can say for Bristol City, which is struggling to put together any type of form in the first twelve fixtures.

22nd of October 2007

Delgado is named in the Championship Team of the Week.

Bob Booker tells me that I have another unhappy camper in the ranks, with Gez Murphy becoming frustrated that he continues to play for the reserves when he feels that he should be playing for the senior side. Gez was a very useful stopgap measure for me when I first joined Brighton and needed somebody to bang home goals, but he is down the depth chart considerably. I’m now leaning towards the view that it would be better for all concerned if Gez was to ply his trade elsewhere.

23rd of October 2007

Jonathan Spector rejoins the club on a new three-month loan from Manchester United! icon_smile.gif He won’t play in the Carling Cup game against his lords and masters due to the terms of his loan arrangement, but I’m very pleased to have the defender back amongst the ranks, at least for another three months.

24th of October 2007

Carling Cup – 3rd round: Manchester United v Brighton

Cavenaghi hat-trick ends Brighton’s Carling Cup run

A hat-trick from Argentine striker Fernando Cavenaghi ended Brighton’s participation in the Carling Cup at the third round tonight. The striker’s clinical finishing illustrated the gulf between Manchester United, second in the Barclaycard Premier League, and Brighton, fifth in the Coca-Cola Championship. Senor Flatline expressed prior to kick-off his immense respect for his opposite number, Senor Hugo Sanchez, and the array of talent available for Senor Sanchez was clearly underlined tonight. Wayne Rooney and Ruud van Nistelrooy were both omitted, but Yakubu and Cavenaghi were able replacements. Senor Flatline, with an eye towards Saturday’s home match against Wolverhampton Wanderers, named a below-strength eleven, featuring players such as Adam Hinshelwood, Mark Smyth, Rene Adler, Gabriel Agbonlahor, Dino Sangiovanni and Regillio Vrede who have barely featured in Brighton’s season to date.

Adler was busy from kick-off, with Manchester United immediately seizing control of the midfield, notwithstanding Brighton’s use of Senor Flatline’s favoured 4-1-4-1 formation. It took United only ten minutes to ***** the bubble of Brighton’s resistance, and it was a goal of stunning simplicity. Yakubu nodded down Silvestre’s free kick from the left side into the path of Cavenaghi and from six yards, the Argentine couldn’t miss. Four minutes later, he had his second when Yakubu was played through the Brighton defence by John O’Shea but as Yakubu sized up his options, he chose to square the ball to the unmarked Cavenaghi rather than shoot, and Cavenaghi was left with another simple finish. Cavenaghi completed his hat-trick on 57 minutes when he was set free down the left channel by Kleberson’s pass, and notwithstanding the difficult angle found sufficient space between Adler and the far post to squeeze in his shot from the edge of the box to seize the match-ball at the end of the game. Brighton’s night grew worse on 90 minutes when veteran defender Regillio Vrede was shown a red card for two bookable offences in the space of 90 seconds.

Well, this was always going to end up this way, no matter how many times we played United. I chose logic above the romanticism of knocking out United and rested as many of my first choice players as possible to keep them fresh for our next game against Wolves. Really, the only person associated with Brighton coming out of tonight’s game with a smile will be our chief accountant, as the split from the 60,000+ gate that attended the game pushes our gate receipts to over £1 million for the month, more than four times our usual gate receipts.

Manchester United (4-4-2): Howard ©; Silvestre, Fernando Meira (G. Neville 57), O’Shea, P. Neville; Willis, Kleberson, Ferguson (Gordon 45), Mamam; Yakubu (Calliste 45), Cavenaghi.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Adler; Mayo, A. Hinshelwood, Vrede © (s/o 90), El-Abd; Nicolas (Scimeca 63); Smyth (Oster 47), Sangiovanni, O’Donnell; Walcott; Agbonlahor (Kraja 63).

Final score: Manchester United 3:0 Brighton

MoM – Fernando Cavenaghi

After the match, I issue official warnings to Vrede for his red card, and to Nicolas and Smyth for their poor performances. It’s just about the final nail in the coffin of Smyth’s career at Brighton. He hasn’t improved his capabilities so far this season, and he’s a long way down the depth chart at the moment, without much possibility of rising above his present station.

27th of October 2007

Championship – Game 13: Brighton v Wolves

I restore my first eleven, as far as possible, to play Wolverhampton, with Patrick Bexfield still missing through lack of fitness after recovering from his injury sustained last Saturday. That means that John Oster comes in on the left side of the four-man midfield. However, the game is a largely forgettable affair. Wolves, down in 19th on the ladder when the game kicks off, have the better of the first half, creating a number of opportunities which are either frittered away through poor finishing or well-saved by Kuipers.

Oster and O’Donnell are having very poor games, and I think long and hard about removing them, but decide to give them some time in the second half to lift their games, as I’m forced to bring on Riccardo Scimeca for Jonathan Spector at half-time. However, neither Oster nor O’Donnell rise to any great heights, and it’s not until I substitute both for Dino Sangiovanni and Adam El-Abd, pushing Wilkshire out to the right wing and putting Scimeca in the midfield, that we actually look creative, even with a man advantage for the last half hour after Jody Craddock is sent off. Delgado wastes a golden opportunity to score late in the match, and then sees another shot saved by the Wolves keeper. The match ends in a 0-0 draw which is a fair result given the poor quality of the football on display. To make things worse, Delgado picks up his fifth yellow card of the season, meaning he misses our trip to Watford on Tuesday.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Spector (Scimeca 45); Ãlvarez; Oster (Sangiovanni 75), Beaumont, Wilkshire, O’Donnell (El-Abd 75); Delgado.

Wolves (4-3-3): Anderson; Crainey, Craddock (s/o 59), Hudson, Clyde; Bircham ©, Bullard, Iván Campo; Miller (Taylor 59), Sinama-Pongolle (Seol Ki-Hyeon 72), Camara (Stewart 72).

Final score: Brighton 0:0 Wolves

MoM – Mark Hudson

The scoreless draw drops us to sixth on the ladder. In brighter news, Bob Booker tells me that the reserves had a good 3-1 win over Bradford City’s reserves at the Odsal Stadium in Bradford. An own goal gave our reserves the lead on 17 minutes, but our opponents equalised three minutes later through Dennis Francis. Guiseppe Cozzolino restored the lead on 23 minutes and after Bradford City’s reserves missed a penalty (Francis was the culprit) on 44 minutes, Cozzolino iced the cake a moment later. However, the Italian suffered a chest injury in the second half, which puts him out for five days and means he cannot be considered for selection for our next game against Watford.

By dint of our greater ability to find the back of the net (20 goals in 13 games), we lead a group of four clubs on 22 points each, keeping us in sixth position after the day’s fixtures are completed.

28th of October 2007

Despite conceding the first goal, the U-18s pull a 2-1 win over Dagenham and Redbridge’s U-18s out of the fire with youngsters Emiliano Grassi and Jamie Wardle particularly impressing Bob Booker.

30th of October 2007

“I hope it’s not serious, Malcolm,†I say to my head physio anxiously. He smiles and responds, “Kerry has taken a look at Agustín. He’s damaged his shoulder a little bit when he hit the deck at training this afternoon, but he isn’t too badly injured. I’d say you’ll have him back in a week.â€

“That’s a relief, Malcolm. Thanks for your news.â€

Being injured for a week means that Delgado will be in some doubt for our game next weekend away to Preston. Hopefully, I can convince the board to invest some money in our ramshackle training facilities at the end of the season to improve the surface and to minimise the likelihood of further injuries occurring during our training sessions.

Championship – Game 14: Watford v Brighton

Sangiovanni’s last gasp equaliser salvages a point for the Seagulls

The first goal of his Brighton career for former Atalanta midfielder Dino Sangiovanni rescued a point for the Seagulls in a topsy-turvy clash between promotion rivals Watford and Brighton at Vicarage Road this evening. Watford had raced to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Danny Webber and Neil Barrett by 25 minutes and without the suspended (and injured) Agustín Delgado up front, it appeared that Brighton lacked a cutting edge to threaten Watford. However, a wonderful long-range effort from Patrick Bexfield on 51 minutes cut the deficit in half and with basically the last kick of the match, Dino Sangiovanni bent a free kick past the Watford wall and above the outstretched left hand of the Watford keeper to hit the back of the net on 92 minutes.

After the match, Brighton’s manager, Senor Dixie Flatline, paid tribute to his goalscorers and his defender, Darren Purse, who was voted man of the match: “It was a discouraging start to see Watford go to a 2-0 lead with two goals in four minutes. In fact, I told the players at half-time that they were lucky it was only 2-0, as Watford dominated the first half. I was indebted to Darren to limiting the damage to the two goal deficit, as he was immense at the centre of our defence, whether winning the ball in the air or tackling it away from Watford’s forwards on the ground. His calmness under pressure spread amongst his teammates and that gave us a platform to build upon in the second half. I’m also pleased for Patrick and especially Dino. Both are young players, just making their way in their professional careers and to score goals like they did today should give them plenty of confidence.â€

Watford manager, Mr Ray Lewington, said in the post-match press conference: “Look, we’re disappointed to have conceded two goals in the second half to end up drawing the match, especially after we set ourselves to win this one to move into the top six. The players felt at half-time that they were comfortably in control, and perhaps that allowed complacency to creep in to their play in the second half. But Brighton never gave up the fight and they have some good young players developing nicely. It’s a blow to have dropped two points this evening, but we owe it to the supporters to put tonight behind us and look forward to our next game against West Ham at Upton Park.â€

An injury late in the game to on-loan defender Jonathan Spector is likely to see the American international sidelined for up to three weeks with a back strain.

It was looking gloomy when Webber and Barrett pierced our defence with ease on 21 and 25 minutes respectively, scoring simply past Kuipers, but Bexfield’s goal, from about 30 yards and on the run on 51 minutes lit the spark that drove us back into the game. Sangiovanni’s goal was a brilliant effort and one I’m sure he’ll cherish. Both are contenders for goal of the month, in my mind. I’m pleased that we come away from Vicarage Road with a point, especially with the start we ceded to our opponent.

Watford (4-4-2): Ashdown; P. Mayo, DeMerit, Carlisle ©, Doyley; McNamee, Barrett (Gunnarsson 65), Chambers, McAnuff; Parkin (Bouazza 65), Webber (Andrews 76).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Spector (Scimeca 87); Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont, Wilkshire (Sangiovanni 75), O’Donnell; Agbonlahor (Kraja 62).

Final score: Watford 2:2 Brighton

MoM – Darren Purse

31st of October 2007

I’m in the stands to watch the reserves play Torquay United’s reserves at Woodside Road in Worthing, and I’m pleased to see the boys take out a 3-1 win over our opponents. Mark Smyth, Theo Walcott and Gez Murphy all bagged a goal apiece to secure victory, with young Kevin Morris, Walcott and Mitchell Booth all prominent in the win. After the match, I speak briefly to Gez Murphy to let him know that, now he is match-fit, he should train with the senior squad over the next few days in order to prepare for our next game with Preston.

1st of November 2007

“Two months through the campaign – 14 games – and sixth in the Championship. Dixie, we’re delighted with your performance so far,†enthuses a delighted chairman, Mr Dick Knight, as the board meeting kicks off.

“Thanks, Mr Knight. I’m sorry we couldn’t take the fight up to Manchester United a week ago, but I’m pleased with the effort the players put in last month. At least we went through the month undefeated in the league.†I sip my coffee and look at my chairman.

“Oh, don’t worry about the Carling Cup result, Dixie. We picked up a good windfall from the gate receipts from that match, and nobody around this table seriously expected the players to give United a fright. It would have been fairy-tale stuff had we even scored at Old Trafford, let alone won the match. But we’re pleased to see the club pick up two wins and two draws in its last four Championship games. It puts us on a solid platform, doesn’t it?â€

“Yes, Mr Knight, it does indeed. We have a good core of young players, with some experience to help shape them.â€

Mr Knight beamed. “Yes, I’m glad you were able to lure Jonathan back to the club, even if you had to burn a short-term loan spot for him. It’s too bad he’s injured his back.â€

“Yes, Mr Knight. I was disappointed with the referee for not at least showing the Watford player a yellow card for the challenge which injured Spector. It was a poor challenge and we’re lucky that Jonathan is out only for three weeks. I think we have the cover for him, with Adam El-Abd and Riccardo Scimeca ready to play, and Adam Hinshelwood champing in the reserves.â€

Mr Knight said, “Well, I’m glad that the results are going our way, because as you know, you’re still above the wage budget we set you for this season. Martin will give you the financial details in brief.â€

With that, Mr Knight nodded to the man sitting at his right, Martin Hinshelwood, in charge of the financial details at the club. Clearing his throat, Mr Hinshelwood looked at the papers in front of him and told me, “We earned just over £1.2 million in the month of October 2007, and that was primarily composed of £1.1 million in gate receipts. As you’ll be aware, we visited Old Trafford the past month and with a gate of over 60,000 spectators, the gate receipts comprise a good portion of the split from the Carling Cup. We had just over £565,000 in expenses for the month of October, the bulk of which comes from wages (£202,000) and ground maintenance (£100,000). That gave us a profit margin of just under £600,000 for the month of October 2007. For the season to date, we’ve made a profit of £2.6 million, which gives us a bank balance of £3.6 million. At the moment, we’re not comfortable in increasing either the wage budget or your transfer budget, so you’ll have to make do with what you have.â€

“There you go, Dixie,†says Mr Knight, with a smile on his face – the sound of a profit being made is always attractive to the chairman. “As you know, the FA releases details of its awards for each month. Agustín Delgado was named runner-up in the Player of the Month award, and Patrick Bexfield was named runner-up in the Young Player of the Month award. We’re really pleased for Patrick, as we see him as a long-term player for the club.â€

“Thanks, Mr Knight, I do as well. He is by far our most valuable player in terms of the money we could realise if we need to sell him, according to my scouts and coaches, and it’s hard to remember sometimes that he’s just 18, as of six days ago. He’ll hopefully have a brilliant career with the Seagulls. I’ll let Agustín and Patrick know the good news – they’ll be pleased.â€

“Okay, Dixie, thanks for your time. We’d better let you get on with preparing the squad for Preston.â€

3rd of November 2007

Championship – Game 15: Preston v Brighton

Soaring Seagulls take all three points as Preston crashes to earth

Two excellently crafted counter-attacks was all it took Brighton to ease to a 2-0 win over Preston at Deepdale this afternoon. Luke Wilkshire, Brighton’s Australian midfielder, was the architect of the moves that allowed Gez Murphy and Elis Kraja to notch their first goal of the season for the Albion as they weathered a first-half storm from Preston and then counterpunched with dangerous ease in the second half to record Brighton’s seventh win of the season from 15 games.

After the game, Brighton’s manager Senor Flatline praised his team’s efforts: “We were distinctly second-best in the first half and it was only through the heroics of the defenders that we weren’t behind at half-time. However, I’m a great believer that in order to succeed at football, you need players who can pass the ball accurately, pass after pass. With Luke Wilkshire and James Beaumont in my side, I feel that I have two players who are capable of doing that. Wilkshire’s passes on 52 minutes and 84 minutes to create opportunities for Gez and Elis were superb. Having said that, I have to congratulate the strikers on putting away the chances when they came. Preston controlled us and we needed to be pinpoint with our opportunities in order to claim the maximum points on offer today. I’m very pleased with the result.â€

Preston manager, Mr Steve Coppell, was philosophical: “That’s football, isn’t it? You control the game for large patches but you’re undone by lapses of concentration at the back. We really should have been in front by half-time and had we had that goal our work in the first half deserved, I think it would have been a very different game after half-time. But all credit to Brighton – they took their chances when presented, whereas we did not.â€

Having seen our side be battered by Preston for the first 45 minutes, and not create a chance for ourselves in the first half, I was bracing myself for the worst and hoping that we could sneak away from Deepdale with a point from a scoreless draw. However, to see Wilkshire thread the ball through the Preston defence for intelligently-timed runs by Gez Murphy and Elis Kraja to both score goals from their only opportunity each, gladdened me immensely.

Preston (4-4-2): Lonergan; Davidson ©, Cohen (Agyemang 67), Ingimarsson, Stockdale; Keenan, McKenna, Mahon, Bakke (Rix 75); Ricketts, Quigley (Jackson 67).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Scimeca; Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont, Wilkshire, O’Donnell; Murphy (Kraja 68).

Final score: Preston 0:2 Brighton

MoM – Luke Wilkshire

Our win over Preston lifts us into a season-high fourth position, with 26 points from 15 games. We’re only three points shy of Manchester City, who sit in second place but have a game in hand. However, as we’re only one-third of the way through the season, I’m not holding any great hopes at this stage that we will be in a position to challenge for promotion by the end of the season.

Following the game, Mr Knight telephones me to offer his congratulations on the victory and tells me to pass on his pleasantries to the rest of the squad. I tell him that I will and kill the call on my mobile. A moment later, it rings again and I’m puzzled, thinking that Mr Knight must have forgotten to tell me something. It’s not Mr Knight on the phone, however, but the agent for Crewe striker, Stefan Moore, who tells me – on the QT – that his client is very keen to join Brighton. He tells me the URLs to some videos the agent has uploaded to YouTube on behalf of his client and urges me to check them out when I return to Brighton. Making a non-committal comment, I hang up the phone once more, then instruct Bob to accompany me to my office once we’ve reached Brighton to watch the videos. The videos were of Moore’s double strike for Crewe against Peterborough played today and they show that Moore appears equally adept in either the left- or right-channel and demonstrate that Moore has a single-track mind for goal.

The issue, however, is price. Crewe aren’t going to let a player with Moore’s talent go cheaply, and I can’t really afford the base valuation my scouts have placed upon him. I instruct Bob to prepare a formal enquiry of Crewe to see whether the club is prepared to let Moore go.

4th of November 2007

Crewe’s response to my enquiry is to slap a valuation of £1.2 million on Stefan Moore, which is almost ten times what I can afford at the moment. There’s no point continuing, so I immediately break off the negotiations.

7th of November 2007

With the senior side in recess for a fortnight following our win over Preston, I travel with the reserves to New Milton to watch them play Bournemouth’s reserves. I’m rewarded with a battling win, with Mitchell Booth – about to play Australia’s U-21s for the Welsh – particularly prominent. Steve Griffiths opened the scoring for the hosts on 2 minutes, but Guiseppe Cozzolino replied nine minutes later. Regillio Vrede, the reserves’ captain, won the match with his 71st minute goal.

9th of November 2007

Gez Murphy suffers a mishap at training which will keep him off his feet for a week, thus putting in peril his chances of representing Brighton in our next match against Wigan in eight days.

“Boss, Mitchell Booth played the first 67 minutes for Wales’ U-21 side against Australia’s U-21s, but the result didn’t go their way – a 2-0 loss for the Welsh.â€

“Thanks for letting me know, Bob.â€

10th of November 2007

“Boss, Ismaele Solinas is developing nicely as a player. He scored the only goal in the U-18s win over Worksop U-18s today and generally led the lines really well. The win came at a cost, though. Emiliano Grassi suffered an injury that will keep him off for two weeks, and Ivan De Franceschi was sent off just before half-time. He’ll miss a game.â€

“Thanks for letting me know, Bob.â€

“No problems, boss. I should also let you know that Adam Virgo sat on the bench for Scotland but he was an unused substitute as Belgium won the first leg of the Euro 2008 qualifier 3-0 in Anderlecht.â€

“Tough luck for the Scots, but at least Adam is being recognised for his great play for our club over the last twelve months.â€

“Yes, it would be great to see him capped. He’s deserved it, really.â€

11th of November 2007

Fulham sack Coleman; Brighton manager linked to vacancy

Fulham sacked long-time manager Chris Coleman today after a string of poor performances from the men of Craven Cottage, and with the club languishing just two positions and two points above relegation, Brighton manager, Senor Dixie Flatline, has been one of the managers linked with the vacancy. The bookmakers have Coventry’s Micky Adams as favourite to take over at Craven Cottage, but Brighton’s excellent progress under Senor Flatline over the past 12 months certainly has caught the eye of respected pundits and fans alike.

Neither Senor Flatline nor Fulham could be reached for comment today.

Fulham certainly would be a big challenge and with a demanding chairman at the helm, the penalty for failure would be harsh indeed. To be truthful, my family and I are settled in Brighton and it would need to be a very good offer before I would be prepared to uproot my family and move back to London.

13th of November 2007

“Boss, Mitchell Booth played the full 90 minutes for Wales U-21 against Liechtenstein U-21s. The Welsh won 4-0, but Mitchell’s game was average.â€

14th of November 2007

“That’s the third strike, Ismaele. What do you have to say for yourself?â€

“Boss, my knee – it’s injured. Surely you don’t expect me to train with an injured knee.â€

“The physios tell me that the injury is minor and doesn’t prevent you from doing weight training. We expect you to turn up to the club to carry out your regime if you are medically cleared to do so. Unless you have a very convincing reason why you missed training, I’m going to fine you a week’s wages for this transgression, Ismaele,†I say sternly to the 18 year old forward sitting across from me. Ismaele shakes his head and remains mute.

“Okay, I’m instructing the accounts department to withhold a week’s wage from you. I don’t want to see you back in my office again this season for missing a training session, do you understand me?â€

“Boss, I’m finding it difficult to settle. The weather, the language, school, it’s too difficult for me. I really want to go back to Italy.â€

“Ismaele, I understand you’re missing your family and friends, but this is the life of a professional footballer. You need to make sacrifices to succeed at this game, and I’m confident – and so are the coaches here – that you have a very bright future, if you apply yourself diligently and work hard at every training session.â€

Ismaele nods his head but still looks glum. With a sigh, I dismiss him from my office.

Later in the day, I go down to Woodside Road at Worthing to watch the reserves play Scarborough Reserves. Unfortunately, the evening does not finish well, as two goals in the space of 8 minutes to our opponent puts them in a winning position, and Theo Walcott’s goal on 75 minutes is insufficient to drag the match back to a level pegging.

The international matches are also played this evening. Adam Virgo again sits on Scotland’s bench, an unused substitute, as the Tartan Army draws 0-0 with Belgium at Hampden Park. Elis Kraja came on in the 72nd minute for Albania as they lost 3-0 to Croatia thanks to an Ivica Olic hat-trick.

16th of November 2007

I read in the morning’s newspaper that Wigan boss, Colin Todd, has been complimentary about me and wishes the Seagulls every success under my guidance. Asked for a quote in response by The Argus I tell them that Colin is one of the best managers in the business and a great guy to boot. With that homily out of the way, I concentrate on planning the downfall of Wigan tomorrow.

In the evening, we gather at the club to watch Mitchell Booth take to the field for Wales U-21s as they attempted to qualify for the U-21 European championship by facing Switzerland U-21s in a two-legged play-off. Mitchell had a fine game, dominating the midfield for the Welsh, but they lost the match 2-1. Patrick Widmer’s goal on 20 minutes was cancelled out by Stuart Fleetwood on 25 minutes, but Alain Huber on 84 minutes gave the Swiss youngsters the edge on the first leg.

17th of November 2007

Colin Todd echoes our friendly sentiments in the papers again this morning. This is becoming a little tiresome. At lunchtime, Bob sends me a text to advise that the U-18s had a solid 2-1 win over Accrington Stanley’s U-18s despite conceding the first goal.

Championship – Game 16: Brighton v Wigan

After the meaningless pleasantries were exchanged during the week, it’s time to get down to business, as we host sixth-placed Wigan. It seems like a carbon copy of many of our recent games, as Wigan, coming out in an attacking 4-2-4 formation, signal their intent by battering Michel Kuipers’ goal relentlessly in the first half. However, the Dutchman is in fine form and is ably assisted by his defenders, particularly Darren Purse and Adam Virgo, who are keen to break up any Wigan attack as soon as possible. We serve warning to Wigan of our intentions when we sweep the ball away from a Wigan corner, only to lose our way on about 35 minutes. However, Wigan’s players fail to heed the warning, and a few moments later, Adam Virgo strides forward with the ball at his feet, no defenders around him, and several Brighton players streaming forward in support. The Scot reaches the penalty box, looks up and sends the ball to James Beaumont, who delights in smashing the ball home from just inside the penalty box to make it 1-0 to Brighton on 41 minutes. icon_smile.gif

I substitute Beaumont at half-time as he’s suffering from a slight knock that I’m advised could worsen if I don’t take him off immediately, bringing Dino Sangiovanni on to replace the midfielder. On 55 minutes, we double our lead when an intricate move involving most of our out-field players culminates in Bexfield crossing for Delgado to head home past the Wigan keeper. icon_biggrin.gif With Delgado tiring, I take him off for Elis Kraja a few moments later. Wigan’s players continue to strive for their first goal of the game, and they have a lifeline when on 77 minutes, Wright delivers a corner to the penalty spot where Johansson is lurking, and unmarked he powers his drive past the static Kuipers to make it 2-1 and a contest. We should have had a third goal but for Kraja dwelling on the ball when he should have pulled the trigger, and down the other end, some acrobatic keeping by Kuipers and stout defending preserves our lead until the referee blows the final whistle on an absorbing contest.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Scimeca; Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont (Sangiovanni 45), Wilkshire, O’Donnell (El-Abd 81); Delgado (Kraja 70).

Wigan (4-2-4): Marshall; Clarke, Traore, Moore, Wright; Whalley, Johansson ©; Huckerby (Gray 55), Johnson (Jarvis 68), Forster (Hazeldine 55), Skora.

Final score: Brighton 2:1 Wigan

MoM – Michel Kuipers

Remarkably, the win takes us into third position on the Championship table after 16 games! icon_biggrin.gif However, the win does come at some cost, with Stephen O’Donnell straining a calf muscle, which will see him sidelined for a fortnight. John Oster is likely to replace the Scot. Bob tells me after the match that Patrick Bexfield is starting to feel the public pressure of performing week-in, week-out for the Seagulls and suggests that it might be time to rest the 18 year old for a spell. I agree with Bob, and decide to elevate Mark Smyth from the reserves and put him on standby to face West Ham in three days.

Thanks Spav

20th of November 2007

Championship – Game 17: Brighton v West Ham United

Kraja strike the difference as Brighton consolidate top six position

Albanian international striker, Elis Kraja, on as a substitute for Ecuadorian international Agustín Delgado, scored the only goal of the game between Brighton and West Ham United. The Hammers were looking to consolidate their position in the top six, but a red card to Mark Noble on 60 minutes for two bookings put paid to any chance the Hammers might have entertained of bringing the high-flying Seagulls back down to earth.

Brighton manager, Senor Flatline, made two changes to the side that had beaten Wigan last Saturday, with John Oster replacing the injured Stephen O’Donnell and Mark Smyth a surprise inclusion at the expense of 18 year old Patrick Bexfield, who did not even make the bench. Smyth suffered a knock early in the first half and was replaced at half-time without exerting much influence.

The game quickly settled into a fencing pattern as both sides concentrated on defence, leaving their respective strikers to plough lone farrows up forward. James Beaumont wasted a couple of long-range efforts, while West Ham failed to test Michel Kuipers in goal for Brighton. However, the introduction of Elis Kraja and the dismissal of Noble changed the match’s complexion. Darren Purse cut out a long pass forward from West Ham’s midfield and headed the ball to Brian Barry-Murphy. The full-back immediately sent the ball forward to Dino Sangiovanni, Smyth’s replacement, who took the ball deep into West Ham territory before sending a cross over for Kraja to head home from point blank range on 73 minutes. West Ham tried in vain for an equaliser, but were lucky not to concede another goal when a similar move saw Kraja head over the goal rather than underneath the cross-bar.

That was a good win and it keeps our unbeaten run alive. West Ham are a dangerous opponent and with Bobby Zamora up front, they have a former Brighton favourite on their team. However, the formation adopted by my counterpart did him no favours and he was essentially left to wither on the vine, especially after Noble was sent off. It was good to see Kraja step up and score the decisive goal to seal the three points. I hope it gives the Albanian confidence in his abilities.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Scimeca; Ãlvarez; Smyth (Sangiovanni 45), Beaumont, Wilkshire, Oster; Delgado (Kraja 62).

West Ham United (4-3-2-1): Höcker; Vignal, Phillips (Dabizas 60), Caldwell ©, Wright; Francis, Greening, Noble (s/o 60); May, Mason (Etherington 45); Zamora (Ashikodi 60).

Final score: Brighton 1:0 West Ham United

MoM – Brian Barry-Murphy

After the game, word filters through from Wales that the Welsh U-21s defeated Switzerland U-21s 2-0 in Cardiff with Mitchell Booth playing the full 90 minutes but exerting minimal influence. The Welsh U-21s won the two-legged tie 3-2 on aggregate and thus qualify for the European U-21 championship.

21st of November 2007

“He might have conceded an own goal, boss, but Morten Bisgaard was by far our best player tonight, as we drew 2-2 with York City reserves at Bootham Crescent. He laid on both of Cozzolino’s goals and bossed the midfield. Vintage stuff from Morten.â€

“Thanks Bob. I note that he’s out of contract at the end of the season.â€

“Hmm, well, you’ve only played him once this season and that was only to sacrifice him to Manchester United. I wouldn’t be rushing to renew his contract, nor that of Regillio Vrede.â€

“I was just thinking that myself, Bob.â€

23rd of November 2007

“This is becoming ridiculous, Ismaele,†I exclaim angrily as I shut the door behind the recalcitrant Italian forward. “There is no good reason why you should not have been at training this morning. Every other player on my roster turned up for training, except you. It’s unprofessional, Ismaele. I’m not interested in hearing any excuses, I’m fining you another week’s wages. You step out of line once more, and I’m upping the fine to two weeks. Do I make myself clear?â€

Ismaele nodded his head without looking me in the eye.

“Good. Get out. I don’t want to see you in my office again.â€

Seagulls move to extend players’ contracts

Brighton announced via its official website this afternoon that it had reached agreement with several players on contract extensions. Strikers Gez Murphy and Agustín Delgado, defensive midfielder Ãlvarez, and defender Brian Barry-Murphy all put pen to paper on contracts that will keep them at Brighton for at least another season. Senor Flatline said in a written statement published on the Brighton website that he was pleased that the contracts were concluded so quickly and that all the players had expressed their loyalty to and satisfaction with the club so easily.

24th of November 2007

Championship – Game 18: Brentford v Brighton

“That was appalling defending,†I tell the players in the locker room after the game. “We had the match under control at 2-0 and we concede two goals in the space of two minutes to end the game 2-2! I’m very disappointed with that result, and I hope you are too. Delgado and Agbonlahor put us 2-0 to the good, then poor communication cost us the chance to extend our winning streak. Michel – what were you thinking when the second goal was scored? You were neither coming out with authority to punch the ball clear nor staying on your line to try to pressure the Brentford striker. Betwixt and between solves nothing! Be bold! Be prepared to commit yourself! I want you to think about how you played today and where you can improve, because I know that this game sees us drop two points, not gain a point!â€

As we board the bus back to travel back to Brighton, Bob sits down beside me and says, “You were a bit harsh back there, boss. After all, we’ve played sides looking to come into or stay in the top six for at least the last three games on the trot in the Championship. It’s been cut-throat each time and we’ve done well. We’ve kept our unbeaten streak going and we did at least pick up a point.â€

I turn to my assistant and respond, “On 40 minutes, Delgado and Ãlvarez combine to set Delgado away through the middle of the Brentford defence. Delgado takes a couple of paces to steady himself then rifles a shot into the right corner. A brilliant goal, especially since he’s picked up a knock and wasn’t fully fit. I take him off at half time and bring on Agbonlahor, who does brilliantly to play a one-two with Wilkshire, turn a Brentford defender inside-out then beat Myhre at the near post. With 70 minutes played, at 2-0, we should have secured all three points. It’s galling, therefore, to see us concede twice in the space of 120 seconds. The first goal Brentford scored was a ripper, I’ll give you that, as O’Connor volleyed the clearance home with a powerful drive that I bet he couldn’t replicate on the training pitch. So, 81 minutes played, and we’re still 2-1 in front. A minute later, Tabb picks up the ball on the right and delivers a long ball into the penalty box. Usually that’s meat and drink for defenders like Purse and Virgo, but they’re off picking daisies while Darren Powell sneaks in at the back post and heads past Kuipers, who was too slow to react coming off his line. No, I don’t think I was too harsh, Bob. I want them to sweat over today’s result and realise we should have had another win under our belt.â€

Bob shrugs his shoulders and leaves me to consider angrily the defensive lapses that cost us another victory. Still, I have to admit that Brentford’s players did stroke the ball around nicely and they had threatened to score a lot earlier than they did. Our goals were particularly well taken, so credit to Delgado and Agbonlahor in that respect, and it probably would have been unfair on Brentford had we won the match. But still, I’m in the business to win games, fairly or not.

Brentford (4-4-2): Myhre; Frampton, Lucketti ©, Turner, Yahia; Tabb, Dobson (Powell 67), Hutchinson, O’Connor; Harrold (James 67), Peters (Watts 53).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Scimeca; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Beaumont, Wilkshire, Oster (El-Abd 70); Delgado (Agbonlahor 45).

Final score: Brentford 2:2 Brighton

MoM – Brian Barry-Murphy

The draw doesn’t alter our position (third) on the Championship ladder, but we’re now five points behind Manchester City, which is second on the table, and Nottingham Forest draws to within a point of us. Sunderland, in seventh position, has 29 points compared to our 33 points after 18 games.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks d_s. As the readers may or may not know, my wife recently gave birth to our second child, so this is about the first opportunity I've had to write some more.

27th of November 2007

“It could have been worse, boss.â€

“It’s bad enough,†I snapped at Bob Booker. “He’s a key member of the first team and he’s a vital play-maker. Notwithstanding our good league position, it’s a thin squad when you look at in general, and to lose Luke Wilkshire for a fortnight with a pulled hamstring at this time of the year is not a blow we can easily absorb.â€

“Well,†says Bob. “We do have some alternatives. Mitchell Booth is back from his international commitments and he’s raring to have a crack at first team action. Patrick Bexfield, Theo Walcott and Dino Sangiovanni can spell Wilkshire. It’s not good to lose Luke for any length of time, but, let’s face it boss, we will have injuries through the season – it’s a question of managing it.â€

“You’re right, Bob. I want you to ensure that Luke does everything the physios require him to do in their rehabilitation program. He needs to be back on the training track as soon as possible.â€

“Of course, boss. I’ll see to it.â€

Bob is right – we do have alternatives to fill for the injured Luke Wilkshire, but the Australian has been a pivotal member of my midfield for the first three months of the season and I’m anxious that we don’t regret losing his creativity. It strengthens my resolve to speak to the board at the end of the season about improving the training facilities at my disposal, to prevent – or at least minimise – these types of injuries.

28th of November 2007

From the rumour files

… And, finally, Championship struggler Hull City is apparently monitoring the progress of Brighton midfielder James Beaumont and is lining up the finance to make a take-it-or-leave-it offer to Seagulls manager, Senor Flatline, to allow the former Nottingham Forest midfielder leave the club. A spokesperson for Hull neither confirmed nor denied the rumour and Senor Flatline could not be reached for comment…

We’re not in the position to have to sell players to remain solvent, though I would need to sell in order to raise funds for a transfer raid, but I’m not prepared to sell a player of the calibre of James Beaumont to a rival club. I’ll make sure that this rumour is quashed quickly.

“Boss,†says Bob Booker on a crackly line. “Theo Walcott made a fine case for promotion to the senior squad as he played a near flawless match for the reserves, scoring a goal and being involved in the others as we defeated Gravesend reserves 3-0 on the road. It’s a pity that Guiseppe Cozzolino saw red, because he was playing well, also.â€

I take the advice of my assistant manager and inform Theo that he should prepare to train with the first team ahead of our next game on Saturday. He’ll probably start on the bench, as Dino Sangiovanni is in pole position to take over from Luke Wilkshire while the Australian is recovering from his pulled hamstring.

1st of December 2007

“Dixie,†says a beaming Mr Knight. “We don’t want to hold you up too long this morning, as we know you have a big game to prepare for this afternoon against Norwich. As a board, we’re looking forward to watching the team in action.â€

The other directors of Brighton nod and murmur their assent to Mr Knight’s comments. The club chairman continues, “In fact, to put it bluntly, we’re over the moon with what you’ve been able to achieve so far this season. To think that we’re third in the Championship at the start of December is beyond our wildest imagination. Sure, the wages are well above what we budgeted at the start of the year, but we’re still showing a profit for the season to date and we’re looking well-placed to avoid the drop.â€

“Thanks, Mr Knight. It has been a good month. We managed to go through it without being defeated in the league though, as you probably know, I was disappointed with our last result, as I feel that we dropped two points that afternoon. We did play some quality teams in the Championship, so I’m feeling confident about things at the moment.â€

“So you should, Dixie, so you should. As you know, on the first day of each month during the season, awards are given out. I have one for Luke Wilkshire, being second runner up in the Player of the Month award – he’s done well, the boy, and I’m glad you didn’t have to pay any club any money to bring him to the club! I hope he recovers from his injury soon. Anyway, back to the business at hand. Here is the other trophy we have been given by the FA – the Daily Mirror Manager of the Month award for you! Congratulations, Dixie, and keep up the good work!â€

I smile my appreciation, as I can sense my reputation in the world of managers lifting once more: “Thank you very much, Mr Knight. It’s a pleasure.â€

The face of our finance controller is a little glum, though. “Dixie, we had some good results on the pitch last month, but off the pitch, well, things could have been easier. It’s lucky we had the windfall from the gate receipts in October, because last month, we lost almost £275,000. Our income for the month was £252,000, or thereabouts, primarily composed of gate receipts (about £178,000 in round figures). Our expenses totalled £527,000, or thereabouts, most of which comprises wages and bonuses, and ground maintenance expenses. It would be nice to see the wage budget brought back under control, Dixie.â€

Mr Knight quickly interposed himself: “Yes, it would be nice, Dixie, but we’re still showing a very tidy profit for the season, and there is always the potential of playing a big Premier League club away from home in the FA Cup that could bolster the coffers a little more, too. Look, Dixie, I know you have some eyes on some players coming out of contract at the end of the season. You work the phones on tying up some deals, and I’ll take care of the finances. Now, go and enjoy the match.â€

“Thanks, Mr Knight.†With that, I take my leave and hurriedly repair to my office to plan the strategy for today’s match against Norwich and, in particular, decide how I will cover for the loss of Luke.

As I’m completing my preparations for the game against Norwich, Bob Booker sticks his head around the door to advise me that the U-18s had a comfortable 3-0 win on the road against Macclesfield Town U-18s, with Gary Lovell particularly prominent.

Championship – Game 19: Brighton v Norwich

Ten men Brighton strangle the Canaries

A single goal, the 17th of the season for Agustín Delgado, was enough for the Seagulls to see off a wayward Norwich at the Withdean Stadium this afternoon. The Ecuadorian international took possession from a pass delivered by Italian midfielder Dino Sangiovanni on 53 minutes and let fly with an unstoppable drive from 25 yards that left the Norwich keeper, Paul Gallacher, flapping at thin air.

However, Brighton endured a poor start to the game as Welsh winger John Oster was sent off for two yellow card offences inside the first ten minutes, as the referee looked to stamp his authority upon the game. Indeed, both sides suffered from somewhat over-officious refereeing from match official Gary Scott, who dished out six yellow cards to the host (including Oster’s two) and two to Norwich. After the game, Senor Flatline told the press: “Look, it was a difficult match for 80 minutes after Oster was sent off for two yellow cards. I don’t want to land in trouble with the FA, but I felt that Oster’s offences combined barely warranted a yellow card, let alone two, and I think the situation could have been handled better. I don’t believe the match benefited from the refereeing today.â€

Norwich manager, Mr Paul Jewell, told the assembled press: “It was a well-taken goal that sunk us this afternoon and with the quality of Delgado’s finish, we can have no complaints about the scoreline, particularly as we played with a numerical advantage for most of the game. Our finishing wasn’t up to par, and it goes to show that if you don’t take your chances, you’re likely to lose. We’ll be working on that on the training track, I can assure Norwich supporters.â€

I’m angry with John for succumbing to a lack of discipline in the manner he did this afternoon. To be truthful, he’s been disappointing since he joined the club but with injuries and a desire not to over-exert Patrick Bexfield, by default he has had an opportunity to re-establish himself – an opportunity so far he has failed to take.

On the other hand, Agustín Delgado simply goes from strength to strength, and his magnificent finish under some pressure from the Norwich defence was awe-inspiring, and worth the admission price. I’m also pleased for Dino Sangiovanni, as Oster’s dismissal meant that I had to essentially isolate the Italian in the middle of the pitch to try to retain our shape. He responded very well, playing a series of fine passes and generally ensuring that Norwich couldn’t have their own way in the middle of the park. He is a talent.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Scimeca; Smyth, Sangiovanni, Beaumont (Spector 66), Oster (s/o 9); Delgado.

Norwich (4-4-2): Gallacher; Drury ©, McCartney (Barker 69), Tebily, Duke; Konchesky, Jarrett (Parlour 54), Reid, Jonson; El Ouargui (Henderson 69), Moore.

Final score: Brighton 1:0 Norwich

MoM – Dino Sangiovanni

John Oster receives an automatic one match ban for his red card and I give him an official warning for his transgression.

The victory keeps us comfortably in third position, three points behind Sheffield United in second place (Manchester City is now first), and six points above Preston, in seventh. In terms of the relegation zone, we have a 19 point buffer over Wolverhampton.

2nd of December 2007

Former Northern Irish keeper Pat Jennings joins Seagulls

Former Northern Irish international goalkeeper Pat Jennings has joined the back-room staff of Brighton and Hove Albion, according to an official press release made available via the Seagulls’ website this evening. Jennings, who earned 119 caps for Northern Ireland and enjoyed a remarkable playing career with Newry Town, Watford, Tottenham Hotspurs and Arsenal, previously worked under Brighton manager, Senor Flatline, at Sheffield Wednesday. The Owls, however, did not renew Jennings’ contract and he left Hillsborough to pursue other ventures outside football, before being coaxed back by the chance to work with Senor Flatline once more.

3rd of December 2007

For his excellent game against Norwich on the weekend, Dino Sangiovanni is picked in the Championship Team of the Week today.

Rovers host Seagulls in FA Cup, third round

Brighton has been handed a difficult task if it wishes to advance to the fourth round of the FA Cup, as the Seagulls face a journey to Lancashire to play Premier League club Blackburn Rovers, who currently sit seventh on the league ladder. Brighton manager, Senor Dixie Flatline, told The Argus that he looked forward to squaring off against counterpart Mr Mark Hughes on the 5th of January 2008.

Another cup tie away from home against a Premier League club – the bank manager will be rubbing his hands in glee at the prospect of the gate receipts split.

5th of December 2007

I watch the reserves go through their paces at Woodside Road in Worthing against Halifax reserves. Regillio Vrede’s goal on 4 minutes puts the reserves on the path to victory, and an own goal seals the win. Morten Bisgaard looked to be in fine form.

8th of December 2007

Word filters through to the dressing room while I’m preparing the players for our game today against Stoke that the U-18s lost 2-0 to Portsmouth U-18s.

Championship – Game 20: Stoke v Brighton

For a game that pits sixth against third, this is a surprisingly underwhelming affair. We lose Adam Virgo for this match, as he fails a fitness test thanks to a small injury he picked up during training in the week, so Jonathan Spector joins Darren Purse in the centre of defence. Stephen O’Donnell replaces the suspended John Oster.

However, Stoke’s favoured 3-5-2 system doesn’t seem to advantage Stoke’s strikers and, apart from one fine save made by Michel Kuipers in the second half, Stoke barely threatens our goals. Having said that, Delgado sees two shots well-saved and other Brighton players waste plenty of other opportunities through poor shooting for goal. The match ends in a goalless stalement.

Stoke (3-5-2): Ward; Dailly, Hall, Thomas; McVeigh, Gudjonsson, Neal (Russell 60), Henry ©, Sedgwick (Buxton 72); Akinbiyi, Graves (McMillan 60).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Spector, Scimeca; Ãlvarez; Smyth (Bexfield 68), Sangiovanni, Beaumont, O’Donnell; Delgado (Agbonlahor 68).

Final score: Stoke 0:0 Brighton

MoM – James Beaumont

The draw doesn’t affect our league position, as we stay third, three points behind Sheffield United. We are five points clear of seventh-placed Watford, as the table below demonstrates:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts

------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Man City 20 13 4 3 42 13 +29 43

2nd Sheff Utd 20 11 7 2 28 14 +14 40

3rd Brighton 20 10 7 3 30 16 +14 37

4th Nott Forest 20 10 5 5 28 17 +11 35

5th West Ham 20 9 8 3 25 15 +10 35

6th Stoke 20 9 5 6 23 19 +4 32

7th Watford 20 10 2 8 30 27 +3 32

8th Preston 19 8 6 5 30 21 +9 30

9th Charlton 20 8 6 6 23 17 +6 30

10th Wigan 19 9 3 7 30 26 +4 30

11th Sunderland 20 9 2 9 27 25 +2 29

12th Brentford 20 7 7 6 26 23 +3 28

13th Swindon 20 8 4 8 22 22 0 28

14th QPR 20 6 9 5 19 21 -2 27

15th Reading 20 5 10 5 20 24 -4 25

16th Derby 20 6 5 9 28 33 -5 23

17th Norwich 20 6 4 10 15 20 -5 22

18th Rotherham 20 5 6 9 19 31 -12 21

19th Hull 20 3 9 8 16 25 -9 18

20th Wolves 20 4 6 10 19 32 -13 18

21st Ipswich 20 4 6 10 22 39 -17 18

22nd Gillingham 20 4 5 11 15 25 -10 17

23rd Bristol C 20 3 8 9 18 29 -11 17

24th Burnley 20 3 4 13 11 32 -21 13

</pre>

11th of December 2007

Championship – Game 21: Brighton v Rotherham

Stephen O’Donnell’s goal sinks Rotherham

In an entertaining end-to-end contest at Withdean Stadium this evening, a goal to Scottish midfielder, Stephen O’Donnell, settled the contest between Brighton and Rotherham in the Seagulls’ favour. O’Donnell received the pass from hard-working Gabriel Agbonlahor, on as a substitute for Agustín Delgado, and his initial shot was partially blocked by Rotherham’s defenders. However, O’Donnell was quickest to react to control the loose ball and before Rotherham goalkeeper Darren Randolph could react, O’Donnell prodded the ball into the empty net. The result was tough on Rotherham, down in 18th position before kick-off, as they took the game up to their more highly fancied opponents and but for some desperate defending by Darren Purse and Riccardo Scimeca, plus good goalkeeping by Michel Kuipers, Brighton could easily have surrendered the lead on numerous occasions.

After the game, Senor Flatline appeared relieved: “This was a very tough match, and I’m glad we picked up the three points. Rotherham set out their stall to attack from kick-off and they wouldn’t go away for the entire match. Having said that, had Delgado taken any of his chances in the first half, then I think things would have been different. However, kudos to Randolph – he stayed on his line when other goalkeepers would have rushed out to try to take the ball off Delgado, and that bought him those few precious moments to block Delgado. We’re pleased to come away with all three points today from a battling effort.â€

Rotherham manager, Mr Alan Knill, said: “I’m pleased with the boys’ effort tonight. They never gave up the ghost even when we conceded the goal on 65 minutes. They weren’t pleasant conditions out there, and we decided that we needed to adopt a physical approach to the game, which suited our strengths. Brighton has some skilled players and to give them something to think about was our primary aim. Randolph pulled off some great saves, but so did Kuipers for Brighton, and when the chance presented itself, O’Donnell was able to take it, which proved the difference. I’m disappointed with the result, obviously, but hopeful that we can turn things around soon.â€

Difficult weather conditions and having to back up for our second game in the space of three days made the match tougher than I would have liked. With a number of our better players not available or requiring rest before we embark on the busy Christmas-new year set of fixtures, there will be some tired bodies tonight. O’Donnell should be well-pleased with his goal as it was reward for effort from himself and Agbonlahor, who is a talented youngster and a good foil for Delgado.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Purse, Spector (El-Abd 45), Scimeca; Ãlvarez; Smyth (Oster 58), Sangiovanni, Beaumont, O’Donnell; Delgado (Agbonlahor 58).

Rotherham (4-4-2): Randolph; Ricketts, Branston, Wheater (Scott 65), Richardson; Negouai (Butler 62), Vernazza, Eustace ©, Campbell-Ryce; Cresswell, Proctor (Fletcher 62).

Final score: Brighton 1:0 Rotherham

MoM – Dino Sangiovanni

Relaxing in the office after the match, I flick over to take a look at the status of the clubs in the English Premier League. As expected, Chelsea is flying this season, topping the ladder with 38 points from 17 games, although Manchester United, in second place, has 31 points from 15 games, so can make up lost ground relatively quickly if the Red Devils win their games in hand. Newcastle United, under the management of Gianluca Vialli, is keeping the top two honest, lying just a point behind Manchester United and 8 points behind Chelsea, having also played 15 games. At the wrong end of the table, my former club Sheffield Wednesday is propping up the division, with just 11 points from 17 games (one win in those games, also). Coventry and Crystal Palace are also occupying the relegation places at the moment.

In Spain, Real Madrid leads Real Betis by two points after 14 games. Deportivo La Coruna and Valencia are currently tied for third, on 29 points, four points behind Betis. At the bottom, Ejido is struggling, with just 9 points from 14 games, Terrassa and Real Vallodolid each have 12 points to fill the other two positions, though Vallodolid does have a game in hand. To Italy, and AC Milan leads with the way with 34 points from 16 games, two clear of Roma and four clear of Parma. However, Juventus, with 28 points from 14 games, cannot be discounted just yet. At the bottom, Catania, Avellino and Catanzaro are dealing with the relegation battle.

12th of December 2007

Bob Booker sends me a text message to advise that the reserves had a comfortable 3-1 win over Darlington reserves on the road, with Morten Bisgaard and Gez Murphy particularly prominent.

15th of December 2007

Championship – Game 22: Burnley v Brighton

We travel to Turf Moor to see if we can continue our winning ways against a club struggling at the foot of the table. I’m feeling confident that we can prevail, even though we’re away from home and missing regular players, Adam Virgo and Luke Wilkshire from the eleven. My faith is rewarded on 9 minutes when we break up a Burnley attack, with Kuipers hitting the back-pass to Brian Barry-Murphy. The Irishman hits a long ball forward, splitting the Burnley defence and allowing Delgado to run on to the pass. With some neat footwork, Delgado wrong-foots Brian Jensen, the Burnley goalkeeper, and passes the ball into the empty net. icon_smile.gif

However, the smile is wiped from my face just six minutes later when Burnley’s players conjure the equaliser. The move is launched when Beaumont’s pass is picked off, and N’Toya nods down the long ball for Valois to interchange passes with Sandor Torghelle. Valois receives the ball on the edge of the box and rifles a shot into the back of our net, notwithstanding the fingertips of Kuipers brushing against the ball. icon_mad.gif We set about restoring our lead, and we have the match’s third goal on 20 minutes when Smyth’s perfectly weighted cross is headed home by Delgado for his second goal of the game, fighting off the desperate attentions of Burnley’s captain, Frank Sinclair.

But the lead does not last when on 77 minutes, our corner is cleared away by the Burnley defence, and it lands with substitute Bjarni Gudjonsson. The Icelandic midfielder streams towards goal, drawing defenders to him like bees to the honeypot. I scream at my players to ensure that they aren’t sucked in by Gudjonsson’s fancy footwork, but I can see Rhys Carpenter steaming into the penalty box unmarked. Sure enough, Gudjonsson’s cross is accurate enough to find the Welshman, who hits an unstoppable shot into the far corner of Kuipers’ goal. It’s the equalising goal and despite our best efforts, the 2-2 score is the final score.

Burnley (4-3-3): Jensen; Camara, Quedrue, Sinclair ©, Maybury; Valois (O’Neill 60), Grant, Ashbee; N’Toya (Carpenter 60), Torghelle, Paul (Gudjonsson 72).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Spector, Scimeca; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Sangiovanni (O’Donnell 56), Beaumont, Oster (El-Abd 73); Delgado (Agbonlahor 56).

Final score: Burnley 2:2 Brighton

MoM – Brian Jensen

The draw does nothing to alter our current league position – still third – although the gap between ourselves and the teams below us has narrowed. Indeed, West Ham has the opportunity to leapfrog us into third from fifth if the Hammers defeat Stoke tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks milanfan_apoorv, I'm glad you're enjoying the story! icon_smile.gif

19th of December 2007

Bob Booker tells me that the reserves accounted for Plymouth’s reserves 1-0 away from home with Morten Bisgaard netting the only goal of the game in the 31st minute. Bisgaard and Walcott (named man of the match) were the stand-out players for Brighton’s reserves side.

20th of December 2007

“Hello?†I say after picking up the ringing phone. “Who is this?â€

“This is Aurelio Cassati, agent for Ismaele Solinas. I’m instructed by Signor Solinas that he wishes to be placed on the transfer list.â€

“Please inform your client that the request is denied,†I snarl. Without waiting for a response, I hang up then immediately call Bob into my office. I inform him of the situation and tell Bob that Ismaele’s training regime needs to be strengthened. The Italian forward is a talented player and simply because he’s feeling homesick doesn’t mean he has no future at this club. Bob nods his understanding at the plan I outline for Solinas and goes to commence preparing its implementation.

21st of December 2007

Derby manager, Mr Mark McGhee, praises Brighton gaffer, Senor Flatline

The Rams manager, Mr Mark McGhee, commented outside the Derby training ground this afternoon that the Seagulls gaffer, Senor Dixie Flatline, was a good manager who deserved plenty of success with the Seagulls. He hoped that the best team tomorrow won.

In response, Senor Flatline said that Mr McGhee was a fine manager and deserved every success with the Rams, as they look to improve upon their lowly position of sixteenth in the league.

22nd of December 2007

A tad under 500 people watch the U-18s defeat Grays Athletic U-18s 2-0 at Woodside Road in Worthing.

Championship – Game 23: Brighton v Derby

Brighton puts four past Derby to stay third at half-way

The Seagulls rammed home four goals past the Derby keeper, Colin Doyle, to maintain pressure on the top two sides in the Championship at the half-way point in the regular 46-game season. Few prior to the season had given odds on the newly-promoted club challenging for automatic promotion at half-way, but on today’s performance, it’s little wonder that the Brighton fans are dreaming of hosting the Premier League clubs on a weekly basis.

Derby manager, Mr Mark McGhee, adopted an attacking 4-3-3 formation, as he looked to snap a slump that had seen Derby drift down to 16th on the Championship ladder. He would therefore have been gratified to see Derby fashion the first chance of the match inside 60 seconds when from a free kick conceded by Riccardo Scimeca, Gray’s diving header from Garry’s set-piece grazed Kuipers’ bar. However, Brighton quickly asserted control of the match and opened the scoring on 13 minutes when the usual suspects, Luke Wilkshire and Agustín Delgado worked their magic for the latter to score his 20th goal of the season in all competitions. Wilkshire gathered Scimeca’s headed clearance and knocked a ball into the path of Delgado to hit past Doyle, notwithstanding the vigorous attentions of Derby captain, Chris Morgan.

The match was an open affair, with Brighton happy to concede Derby plenty of possession, safe in the knowledge that with Purse and Virgo marshalling the defence in front of Kuipers, the Dutch goalkeeper would be rarely threatened. However, while Brighton looked dangerous, the match remained a contest until the 57th minute when Delgado scored his second goal of the game. Wilkshire’s pass, intended for Delgado, ricocheted off Adam Bolder into the path of Patrick Bexfield, and the youngster had no hesitation in sending the ball forward to Delgado, who duly completed formalities with a drive that whistled past Doyle.

Ten minutes later, and it was 3-0 to Brighton when Stephen O’Donnell’s near-post corner was headed home by Darren Purse for his first goal in Brighton’s colours. The popular central defender had been a bed-rock of stability at the back for the Seagulls, and his goal was warmly received by the Brighton faithful. Senor Flatline proceeded to make his three substitutions then watched as first Brian Barry-Murphy and then Riccardo Scimeca were forced from the field with injuries. However, that didn’t stop Brighton adding a fourth goal, when in injury time at the end of the game, Stephen O’Donnell and Gabriel Agbonlahor worked together to tee up John Oster, and the Welsh winger made no mistake from ten yards.

After the game, Senor Flatline said: “It was a pleasing result, no question of that. Points are always at a premium and we’re entering a busy period for fixtures. It was important today that we played well and took all three points to reward the fans who give up their afternoon each week to watch us play. I was particularly pleased with the work of Luke Wilkshire. I felt that he dominated midfield and many of our best moves came about through Luke’s good work. I’m also pleased for Patrick Bexfield. He needed rest from first team duties but he came back today looking and feeling refreshed, and he was a vital player for us.â€

Mr McGhee said: “After three consecutive draws, we thought that we might be a chance of snatching a result here today, but it goes to show that Brighton are a well-drilled outfit with some promising players and handy experience. I feel that the scoresheet probably doesn’t reflect the true state of affairs, but you have to give credit to Brighton where it’s due – Brighton’s forwards took their opportunities and our forwards didn’t do that. It’s something we’ll have to work on.â€

A very pleasing result, although somewhat soured by the two injuries suffered by Barry-Murphy and Scimeca which forced them from the field. It turns out that Riccardo’s problem is easily overcome and he should be able to rejoin his teammates for training as per the normal schedule. However, Brian is out for a month with a fractured wrist, according to head physio, Malcolm Stuart, and that presents a problem. Although Kerry Mayo is an experienced defender, he is short of match fitness and he’ll need to get up to speed quickly if he is to cover for Brian.

After the game, Mr Knight comes into the dressing room to offer his congratulations to each and every player personally on the magnitude of the victory and the position we find ourselves in with half the regular season completed. It’s a nice touch and I hope it spurs the players on to administer the same type of gameplan against Gillingham on Boxing Day.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy (inj 82), Purse, Virgo, Scimeca (inj 89); Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont (Sangiovanni 61), Wilkshire (Oster 74), O’Donnell; Delgado (Agbonlahor 74).

Derby (4-3-3): Doyle; Garry, Gabbidon, Morgan ©, Turner (Mensing 68); Idiákez, Morán (Sakiri 77), Bolder; Cooper (Reich 68), Tudgay (inj 90), Gray.

Final score: Brighton 4:0 Derby

MoM – Patrick Bexfield

23rd of December 2007

Ismaele Solinas disciplined by Seagulls gaffer, Senor Flatline

There are rumours emanating from Falmer Stadium this morning that talented Italian forward Ismaele Solinas has been disciplined by Brighton manager, Senor Dixie Flatline for failing to present at training without an adequate reason. The 18 year old Italian, currently playing for the Seagulls U-18 side, has apparently missed a number of training sessions, which has not endeared him to his colleagues or the Brighton training staff. Signed on a free transfer, Solinas is expected to play a big role in the future of Brighton, but there is growing speculation that the player wants out of England and is prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to ensure that his quest is successful.

Another missed training session; another two-week fine. It’s becoming almost a routine now. Something has to give, but I’m determined not to lose Solinas to the club without a fight.

26th of December 2007

Championship – Game 24: Gillingham v Brighton

At 45 minutes, I’m pleased with the performance of my team. At 90 minutes, I’m disappointed. It truly is a game of two halves. I decide to make some changes to my first eleven, resting Agustín Delgado, Riccardo Scimeca and Stephen O’Donnell, bringing in Gabriel Agbonlahor, Jonathan Spector and John Oster for the trio, while Kerry Mayo replaces the injured Brian Barry-Murphy.

At half-time, we enjoy a 2-0 lead over our opponent, which is stuck in the basement of the Championship. On 4 minutes, Bexfield’s long free kick is powerfully headed home by Agbonlahor, who peels off his marker to have a free header on goal. On 32 minutes, Agbonlahor doubles his and our tally when he controls Oster’s long pass, evades the Gillingham defenders and slides the ball through a thin gap left by Ben Williams at his near post. icon_smile.gif

However, on two occasions in the second half, our defence fall asleep, allowing Gillingham opportunities to score and eventually equalise. The first goal comes on 57 minute when Elliott beats Agbonlahor to Kuipers’ goal kick and heads the ball to Payne. The midfielder feeds Milne who takes a quick shot at goal. Kuipers manages to knock it down, but Delron Facey is favoured by the rebound and before we can react, he puts the ball into the empty net. I’m furious with the way in which we concede the goal, and I hope that we can immediately restore our two-goal lead. However, on 71 minutes, from a short throw-in, Jarvis launches a cross into the box where Milne slips between Mayo and Virgo to power his drive past Kuipers to make the score 2-2. Agbonlahor wastes some good opportunities to restore our lead and secure his hat-trick and the match finishes with a tame 2-2 draw. icon_mad.gif

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Purse, Virgo, Spector; Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont, Wilkshire (Sangiovanni 66), Oster; Agbonlahor.

Gillingham (4-4-2): Williams; Rose (Edworthy 58), Elliott, Hope ©, Nosworthy; Payne, O’Connor, Pouton (Johnson 70), Ward (Jarvis 58); Milne, Facey.

Final score: Brighton 2:2 Gillingham

MoM – Gabriel Agbonlahor

“Too bad about the result there, boss,†says Bob Booker in a serious tone. He continues, “The reserves managed to beat Blackpool reserves 2-0 at home with Guiseppe Cozzolino scoring both goals. Theo Walcott was the stand-out player, however.â€

“Thanks Bob. The reserves are doing well, aren’t they?â€

“Yep, first in the league, with a six point gap over Huddersfield’s reserves, though we have played a game more.â€

29th of December 2007

“The U-18s won again, boss. It was a big 4-0 win over Gravesend and Northfleet U-18s. Everybody played well, but I reckon that Roberto Bambi was the best player.â€

“Cheers, Bob.â€

Championship – Game 25: Nottingham Forest v Brighton

This match between two clubs in the top six of the table, is settled in the first half. We take the lead on 23 minutes when Stephen O’Donnell’s free kick takes a slight deflection off the Nottingham Forest wall and deceives Dirk Heinen, the Forest keeper. However, Forest strike back just about immediately when Müller is allowed by Mark Smyth to run down the right flank before delivering a lobbed cross into Mikael Forssell to nod on to the advantage of Muzzy Izzet. The former Turkish international has no difficulties in hitting the back of the net through Kuipers’ legs on 27 minutes.

The remainder of the game passes by without much incident as it appears that both sets of players are content with the point on offer.

Nottingham Forest (3-5-2): Heinen; Rozehnal, Curtis ©, Thompson; Commons, Robinson (Gardner 74), Izzet, Ifill, Müller; Johnson (Parker 62), Forssell (Westcarr 62).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Purse, Virgo, Scimeca; Ãlvarez; Smyth (Oster 70), Beaumont, Wilkshire, O’Donnell; Delgado (Agbonlahor 70).

Final score: Nottingham Forest 1:1 Brighton

MoM – Riccardo Scimeca

We lose Adam Virgo for a match after he picked up his fifth yellow card of the campaign against Forest.

31st of December 2007

I receive from Millwall an offer for experienced Dutch defender Regillio Vrede of just £1,000. However, I consider that to be a bonus, as I had determined not to renew the contract of the 34 year old defender and was prepared to let him leave on a free transfer at the end of the season. Vrede has played just one match for the first team – turning out for the Seagulls as cannon fodder when we travelled to Old Trafford in the Carling Cup – and he would be unlikely to ever play for the club again. Although the offer values him at a tenth of his nominal going rate, at least Vrede will have the opportunity to play some first team football at Millwall. Having gone so close to being promoted to the Championship behind Hull last season, the Lions are languishing in 16th in League One and need an infusion of new talent to buoy their spirits.

1st of January 2008

“Dixie, how can I say this?†beams Mr Knight at an early-morning board meeting on the first day of the new year. “We’re absolutely delighted with the progress you’ve made so far with the club. To be third going into the new year, more than half-way through the season – well, that’s just a remarkable outcome and more than we could possibly have asked of you. To be honest, sometimes I feel as though I’m in a dream and I have to look at the league ladder to make sure I’m not.â€

“Thanks, Mr Knight. It’s been another good month for us results-wise. I was disappointed to see points dropped against Gillingham before Christmas, but we battled hard against Forest and came away from the City Ground with a point, so they evened themselves out.â€

“I won’t detain you much longer, Dixie. I know that you’ve accepted an offer from Millwall for Regillio Vrede. I think that’s a good move. Vrede did well for us last season but he’s obviously surplus to your requirements and letting him go would clear £1,600 per week off the budget. Speaking of the budget, how does it look, Martin?†Mr Knight nodded towards the finance director to give us a quick run-down on the figures.

“We made a profit of just under £12,000 on the month, Dixie, which is a good result, all things considered. We earned just under £378,000 on gate receipts and managed to sell £58,000 worth of merchandise and £1,260 of season tickets. We also picked up some revenue from interest earned on our profit sheet. Our expenses were dominated by wages, with £258,000 being paid to the players, along with bonuses of £3,900. It takes us just under £100,000 to maintain the ground and servicing the debt with the bank means paying interest of £73,000 per month. We’re looking forward to receiving a split of the gate with Blackburn later this month.â€

“Okay, that’s it for now, Dixie. Good luck with your match this afternoon.â€

“Thanks Mr Knight.â€

As I stand and move towards the door, the club’s chairman calls out after me, “Oh, Dixie, I almost forgot. I have an award from the FA to be presented to Patrick Bexfield. He has been voted the Championship’s Young Player of the Month for December 2007. I’m no judge, unlike yourself, Dixie, but I feel that we have a potential gem in that player. I hope you hang on to him for as long as possible.â€

Accepting the award from Mr Knight, I say, “Well, I always thought he had talent and I’m glad he’s been able to demonstrate that objectively on the pitch in the last month or so.â€

Later in the day, as I’m preparing my pre-game notes for the evening’s fixture against Sunderland, I’m contacted by Rotherham’s manager, Mr Alan Knill. The club is struggling to avoid relegation from the Championship, being 20th in the league at the turn of the new year, and Mr Knill feels that Regillio Vrede could assist in turning things around. He matches Millwall’s offer of £1,000 and I decide to accept the offer.

Championship – Game 26: Brighton v Sunderland

My confidence going into this game turns out to be sorely misplaced, as the game – as a contest – is over by half-time. For 45 minutes is the length of time needed by Sunderland to race to an insurmountable 3-0 lead and to end our unbeaten streak at 13 games. Indeed, the three goals scored by Sunderland come in the space of 12 minutes, which makes the result particularly galling. Liam Lawrence opens Sunderland’s account on 30 minutes when he bends a free kick over the wall and past Kuipers’ outstretched right hand into the back of our net. icon_frown.gif Sunderland’s lead is doubled when on 36 minutes, Thornton finds the same space between Kuipers and the net from the other side of the pitch using a free kick. Finally, on 42 minutes, Lawrence’s long ball down the line for Kevin Kyle is pulled back by the striker for Brown to lash home from just inside the penalty box to make it 3-0 and game over.

With 30 minutes remaining, I switch to a 4-1-3-2 formation, bringing on Gabriel Agbonlahor for John Oster and trying to inject some life into my side. However, Sunderland’s players easily deal with our weak sorties forward and I’m forced on 75 minutes to make some more substitutions, with Stephen O’Donnell coming on for the tiring Luke Wilkshire and Dino Sangiovanni replacing James Beaumont. O’Donnell tees up Delgado for a consolation goal on 83 minutes, but the night goes from bad to worse when the normally unflappable Ãlvarez is shown his second yellow card for the game and is given his marching orders. Sunderland tries to rub salt into the wound, with the player switching to a 4-2-4 formation in the last five minutes to try to take advantage of their supremacy but the match finishes 3-1 to Sunderland and a comprehensive loss to Brighton.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Purse, Spector, Scimeca; Ãlvarez (s/o 85); Bexfield, Beaumont (Sangiovanni 76), Wilkshire (O’Donnell 76), Oster (Agbonlahor 63); Delgado.

Sunderland (4-4-2): Walker; Gilbert, Breen, Southgate ©, Lynch (Doumbe 64); Livermore, Healy, Thornton, Lawrence; Brown (Rankin 64), Kyle (Davidson 49).

Final score: Brighton 1:3 Sunderland

MoM – Chris Brown

Although the loss doesn’t mean we lose any places, we’re joined on 46 points by West Ham and Sunderland leap into seventh place, just four points behind us. We’ve slipped to be seven points behind Manchester City and Sheffield United. To make matters worse, joining Ãlvarez in the sin-bin for a match is Riccardo Scimeca, who is banned for one match after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season. Next up, a trip to Blackburn Rovers for the third round of the FA Cup.

2nd of January 2008

“Tough luck about the result last night, boss, but I hope you’re pleased to learn that the reserves took care of Exeter reserves 2-1 on the road, with Morten Bisgaard particularly prominent.â€

“Thanks Bob. That’s a good result.â€

Adler unhappy at the Seagulls

German goalkeeper, Rene Adler (22), signed by Brighton from Manchester City at the start of the season is said to be unhappy to be playing second fiddle to established Dutch keeper Michel Kuipers. Speculation surrounds the future of the German, who has apparently demanded consistent first team football from his manager or a transfer away from Brighton. However, with Kuipers looking somewhat shaky over the last three games and with Senor Flatline showing a preference to play Adler in cup matches, perhaps the demise of Adler as a Brighton player could be somewhat premature…

3rd of January 2008

Sampdoria defender to join Brighton in the summer

The Argus has learned that former Italian U-21 defender Ivan Artipoli has agreed to join Brighton on a free transfer from current club Sampdoria in the summer of 2008. Artipoli, 21, is currently on loan to Serie B club Lucchese and has sufficiently impressed Brighton manager Senor Flatline that he was prepared to fly personally to Italy to negotiate terms with the young defender.

4th of January 2008

Northern Irish international striker to join Brighton in the summer

Former Manchester United striker, and Northern Irish international, David Healy has agreed to join Brighton on a free transfer with effect on and from 1 July 2008, according to Healy’s agent today. The Argus has learned that Healy has been disaffected with Leeds for most of the season after the Elland Road-based club was relegated from the Championship at the end of the 2006/07 season. Healy, who has scored 18 goals this season, is said to be excited at the prospect of playing at a higher level once more, with Leeds currently seventh in League One.

5th of January 2008

Third summer signing for Brighton announced

Hard on the heels of Ivan Artipoli and David Healy agreeing to join the Seagulls in the summer of 2008 is the announcement from the agent of Leeds winger Danny Pugh that the 25 year old left sided midfielder will join the Albion on a free transfer.

Lost somewhat in the excitement engendered by the news that three new players will be joining the club in the summer is the news that stalwart defender Regillio Vrede has decided to leave the club and continue his professional career with struggling Rotherham for £1,000. I thank Regillio for his service and wish him the best for his future: Regillio Vrede (34 y/o, NED, D C): 24 games, 5 goals, 2 assists, 3 MoMs, av rating: 7.37

FA Cup – third round: Blackburn Rovers v Brighton

Sensing that we would have little chance of causing an upset and not wanting to risk injury or suspension to any of my first team players, I decide to send out a side composed of reserves and young players, so the likes of Adam Hinshelwood, Morten Bisgaard, Mitchell Booth, Theo Walcott and Elis Kraja are selected to play. I also choose to rest Michel Kuipers, giving Rene Adler an opportunity to put his money where his mouth is.

Our resistance is stout for the first 19 minutes, but Irish midfielder Liam Miller eventually cracks it. The goal is a model of superb passing with Spaniard Luis Garcia at the heart of it, as he rolls the ball forward to Miller to sidestep Adler and pass it into an empty net. icon_frown.gif Jonathan Stead adds Blackburn’s second goal in the 59th minute when he heads home Luis Garcia’s cross from the right-wing. We had a few opportunities to put pressure on Blackburn but Friedel deals with them comfortably and we bow out of the FA Cup.

Blackburn Rovers (4-4-2): Friedel; Tierney (Johanssen 60), Matteo, Biscan, Henry; Gamst Pedersen, Douglas © (Savage 45), Miller, Reid; Gallagher (Stead 45), Luis Garcia.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Adler; Mayo, Purse ©, A. Hinshelwood, Spector; Nicolas; Bisgaard (Oster 60), Sangiovanni, Booth (Wilkshire 60), Walcott; Agbonlahor (Kraja 60).

Final score: Blackburn Rovers 2:0 Brighton

MoM – Steven Reid

8th of January 2008

“Fortunately, Darren is only injured for a week with a twisted knee. When I saw him go down under the challenge of Delgado, I thought the worse,†says a relieved Bob Booker to me after training.

“Yes, given the last two results, we need as many experienced players as we can in order to arrest this mini-slump and prevent it from becoming worse. Darren will be touch and go for our next match, but I’m glad it’s not worse. Make a note of it, Bob. I want to prod the board into paying for improvements to the training facilities at the end of the season. We need to improve them urgently.â€

“Will do, boss.â€

I get back to the office and check the fixture list. Darren’s injury couldn’t have come at a worse time, as we’re scheduled to travel to the City of Manchester Stadium to play the league leader, Manchester City, in four days.

9th of January 2008

“We started the match well, boss, with Bambi finding the net on 4 minutes, but Leeds reserves overhauled us to win 2-1 at Woodside Road. We probably should have made the game safe as we dominated attacking play, but we didn’t take our chances, and Leeds reserves did.â€

“Okay, Bob. Tough luck on the result.â€

12th of January 2008

Championship – Game 27: Manchester City v Brighton

The Blues cruise to easy victory over the Seagulls

Three goals in the first half sealed an easy win for title-chasing Manchester City at the City of Manchester Stadium this afternoon, as Senor Flatline’s men had few answers for the rampant Blues. With slick passing and greater physicality, Manchester City’s players hustled the Seagulls off the ball and dominated possession, lodging a total of 22 shots at Michel Kuipers’ goal, for four goals by full-time. Senegalese midfielder Papa Bouba Diop opened the scoring in the seventh minute when he headed home Collins’ corner, notwithstanding the close attention of Luke Wilkshire and Riccardo Scimeca on the post.

Five minutes later, the overwhelmed Ãlvarez lost possession in midfield and City’s players strung together a series of passes that culminated with Diop finding Kanouté inside the penalty box. The Mali forward struck a shot that beat Kuipers at his far post to make it 2-0. Kanouté’s second goal and City’s third came on 21 minutes when Boulahrouz picked off a hurried Brighton clearance and launched a long ball that pierced the Brighton defence for the advantage of Kanouté. The Malian drove the ball past Kuipers again at his far post to make it a comfortable 3-0 lead at half-time.

No doubt, Senor Flatline’s words were still ringing in the ears of his players at the resumption of play, but he would not have been impressed two minutes after the break when Kanouté ran on to a marvellous through-ball from Joey Barton, taking up the ball from Boulahrouz’s clearance. Kanouté lobbed the ball over a back-pedalling Kuipers and he picked the ball out of his net for the fourth time as Kanouté celebrated his hat-trick. City pressed for further goals but were unable to find the net for a fifth time as Delgado registered a consolation goal for the Seagulls on 78 minutes after he accepted Oster’s low cross and held off Boulahrouz to find the far corner of the City net, following an excellent through-ball by Dino Sangiovanni to find Oster. However, it was far too little, far too late, and City’s players were content with the one-sided final score.

After the game, Brighton manager, Senor Flatline told the press: “I can’t serious see any other club overhauling Manchester City after watching them today. They were terrific all over the pitch and I don’t think any of my players could say that they beat their opponent. It was a lesson for all of us and I’m sure that we will go away and absorb what we’ve been taught. We need to bounce back as soon as possible and get back on track.â€

Manchester City manager, Mr Sammy Lee, said: “I’m very pleased with the result today. We’ve strung together some nice results and to obtain a result like we did in the manner we did makes me very happy. Brighton has a dangerous team and I’m glad that we took the points today.â€

What a shocking result. To concede our first goal after just seven minutes, then see the score blow out to 2-0 by 12 minutes and 3-0 by 21 minutes was terribly deflating. We certainly missed Darren Purse’s cool presence at the back, but this is our third defeat in a row in all competitions and morale is starting to suffer. We’ll need to bounce back as we play Sheffield United in 12 days’ time at home, and United currently sit in second place.

Manchester City (4-4-2): Olave; Collins (Grimes 21), Boulahrouz, Dunne ©, Pamarot; Nilsson, Diop, Barton (Jagielka 62), Flood (Smertin 62); Wright-Phillips, Kanouté.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Spector, Virgo, Scimeca (El-Abd 59); Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont (Sangiovanni 59), Wilkshire, O’Donnell (Oster 59); Delgado.

Final score: Manchester City 4:1 Brighton

MoM – Frederic Kanouté

The bad result drops us to fourth and we’re only two points ahead of seventh-placed Charlton.

16th of January 2008

There is some bright news from the reserves, as they crushed Carlisle’s reserves 3-1 on the road, with Theo Walcott particularly impressive.

17th of January 2008

… Finally, in transfer news, we understand that Charlton Athletic veteran midfielder, Bryan Hughes, has agreed terms on a free transfer in the summer to Brighton and Hove Albion. Hughes, a versatile attacking midfielder, made his name at Welsh club Wrexham before joining Birmingham and then Charlton Athletic. However, with opportunities limited at the London club, Hughes has apparently jumped at the chance to join Brighton, turning down opportunities from Reading and Gillingham, as well as rejecting a new contract from Charlton.

19th of January 2008

Aston Villa had refused my offer to extend the loan of Gabriel Agbonlahor from the Midlands club and he returned north with my note of thanks on behalf of the club in his gear: Gabriel Agbonlahor (21 y/o, ENG, S C): 4(8) apps, 3 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.17

In the evening, after the fourth round FA Cup fixtures had been played (our conquerors, Blackburn Rovers, had been held by Derby County to a 1-1 draw at Ewood Park), I am approached by the agent of Crewe striker, Stefan Moore, to watch a video of his hat-trick for Crewe against Oxford on the weekend in the League One. I see some impressive work by the striker and decide to lodge an official inquiry with Crewe as to the amount of money for which they would be prepared to sell Moore.

20th of January 2008

The encouraging result against a Premier League club is not enough for Mr Mark McGhee to save his job as manager of Derby County and he is fired today by Derby’s chairman.

The U-18s notched up a fairly comfortable 2-0 win over Torquay United’s U-18s with Michele Pinna looking very good in midfield.

Crewe responds to my enquiry with a valuation of Moore which is completely beyond Brighton’s reach, so I end the negotiations immediately.

21st of January 2008

For the second time this season, we bid farewell to the American international defender, Jonathan Spector, as Manchester United refuses to extend his loan: Jonathan Spector (21 y/o, USA 13 caps, 1 goal, D RC): 21(1) apps, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.32

22nd of January 2008

Hot on the heels of losing Spector by virtue of his loan spell finishing, I receive word from Malcolm Stuart that Adam Virgo will be unavailable for a week after he twisted his knee in training this morning. With our crunch game against second-placed Sheffield United tonight, this is not good news.

Championship – Game 28: Brighton v Sheffield United

Twice we take the lead against the club placed second in the league coming in to tonight’s match and twice we are pegged back. However, as the match ends in a 2-2 draw, giving us our first point of the month in the league, I’m grateful for that result, although it could clearly been better had we defended better. Indeed, the Blades’ first equaliser came through some sloppy work in midfield at our own set-piece. But that’s getting ahead of myself. I make several changes from the side that was thumped by Manchester City. With Spector gone and Virgo injured, Darren Purse is paired with Adam Hinshelwood. Adam El-Abd replaces the very disappointing Riccardo Scimeca at right-back. Stephen O’Donnell is dropped in place of John Oster. Elis Kraja fills the vacant position left on the bench by the departure of Gabriel Agbonlahor back to Aston Villa.

Our first goal comes on 29 minutes when Adam El-Abd fires a long ball down the right channel for the advantage of John Oster. The Welshman takes the ball towards the by-line before pulling his cross back across the teeth of goal for Bexfield to latch on to and fire past the advancing Blades goalkeeper, Paddy Kenny, to open the scores. icon_smile.gif However, my joy is shortlived as Sheffield United equalise just two minutes later. Wilkshire’s free kick is headed clear by the Blades defence and a simple through-ball puts Beckett in space. The Blades forward challenges our defenders to come to him, before slipping a one-two with Robert Earnshaw. Earnshaw takes possession of the ball and fires past Kuipers from the edge of the box. icon_frown.gif

We toil hard to regain the lead and we are rewarded on 65 minutes when Oster’s corner is played in to an unmarked James Beaumont, who lashes his powerful drive through Kenny and into the net to make the score 2-1. But we cannot defend for the remaining 25 minutes without conceding a goal and on 72 minutes, some clever passing by the Sheffield United midfield has our defenders at sixes and sevens. Kuipers attempts to punch clear the incoming cross, but it falls nicely for Heffernan who promptly sticks the ball into the unguarded net to make the score 2-2 apiece with 18 minutes to play. We don’t have it in us to take the lead for the third time and the Blades settle for a point, although Kuipers pulls off a terrific save towards the end of the 90 minutes to keep the score at 2-2.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Purse, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont, Wilkshire (Sangiovanni 45), Oster; Delgado (Kraja 62).

Sheffield United (4-4-2): Kenny; Harley, Hill ©, Bromby, Weston (Perpetuini 60); Quinn, Etuhu, Montgomery (Lundekvam 60), Turner; Beckett (Heffernan 65), Earnshaw.

Final score: Brighton 2:2 Sheffield United

MoM – Paddy Kenny

23rd of January 2008

“Boss, there’s a telephone call for you through the private line. The gentleman won’t give me his name but says it’s vitally important that he speak to you.â€

I sigh to myself as my personal assistant runs through the reasons she has been given as to why I should take the call. Half-expecting to be a prank call from an over-zealous Brighton fan, I ask my personal assistant to transfer the call and say wearily, “Yes, this is Senor Flatline, what can I do for you?â€

“I’m very glad to make your acquaintance, Senor Flatline. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Mr Mike McGinnity. I am the chairman of Coventry City and I am calling on behalf of myself and the board of directors here at the Jaguar Arena. As you know, our former manager, left us at the start of the month to take on the role of manager at Fulham. I have spoken to your chairman, Mr Dick Knight, and he has authorised me to approach you with the prospect of filling Mr Adams’ shoes here at the Jaguar Arena.â€

Sensing that I’m about to say something, Mr McGinnity says, “Before you say anything, let me outline the situation to you. We’re currently 19th in the Premier League. Our form isn’t great, but I do have the board’s authorisation to allow to spend up to £3.8 million to bring in new players. There is also some wiggle room in the budget for players’ wages so you would have the flexibility to bring in your own staff and players if you so desire. Of course, although Brighton is about to move full-time to the Falmer Community Stadium, you’ll find that Coventry’s attendances far exceed what you can hope to attract to Brighton. For instance, we had almost 32,000 through the gate for our game against Manchester United earlier this season."

“Then there are the players at your disposal," continues Mr McGinnity. "I know you’ve been interested in some of them for a long time, stretching back to when you were managing Sheffield Wednesday. By the way, what Mr Allen did to you was a disgrace and I hope that isn’t repeated ever again by any chairman, including myself. Anyway, we have the likes of Graham Barrett, El-Hadj Djiouf and Andrew Whing on our roster, and I think they are players you can build a team around. In terms of your own personal remuneration, I have put forward a package to your agent which you should receive shortly. I think you will find that the package is a vast improvement on what you’re currently receiving from Brighton and more commensurate with the talents and reputation as a manager you would bring to the Jaguar Arena.â€

“Thank you for your kind offer, Mr McGinnity. I will of course, need some time to think about your offer, and I will have to speak to my agent to ensure that he has received the details from your office.â€

“Sure, Senor Flatline. I’m sure you realise that the transfer window closes in eight days, so the longer you take to make up your mind, the less time you will have to line up and secure new players for the club if you consider it necessary to do so.â€

“I will provide my answer within the hour, Mr McGinnity,†I say to the Coventry City chairman. He responds, “Okay. I’ll talk to you in an hour. Here is my phone number.â€

Having recited a Coventry phone number, he rings off. Almost immediately, a new message notification chimes from my computer and it is a confidential email from my agent, setting out the bare bones of the deal that Coventry has put forward. Putting that to one side, I take a look at the recent form of Coventry. It isn’t good – just one point in the last five matches and the club is second-last on the Premier League ladder, three points off the bottom (currently occupied by my former club, Sheffield Wednesday) and several points from safety. With the morale at the club at rock-bottom, it would be a monumental task to save Coventry from relegation with just 14 games left to play. Further, although Mr McGinnity identified the better players in the squad, in my view there are too many players of Championship quality (at best), making it difficult to imagine that the club could be saved from relegation.

I sat and pondered…

• 3 weeks later...

… It would be a very difficult proposition and more than likely I would be back in the Championship next season. However, my time at Brighton had obviously rehabilitated my reputation and I would enjoy the challenge of keeping the Sky Blues in the Premiership this season and seeing my former club, Sheffield Wednesday, relegated (as seems very likely).

Standing up, I smoothed a crease out of my suit and picked up the phone to instruct my personal assistant to inform Mr Knight that I was on my way to see him.

Five minutes later, I am in the office of the chairman. Seeing the look on my face, Mr Knight quickly bids me to sit down. I say with a heavy voice, “First, Mr Knight, I want to thank you for the opportunity to resurrect my managerial career here at Brighton. I’ve enjoyed every minute of working with and for you and I hope that you have enjoyed having me here.â€

Mr Knight breaks in, “Of course we have Dixie. Without you, we wouldn’t be in the Championship. Indeed, there were some whispers that we could conceivably be looking at slipping to League Two in the season you joined.â€

“Thank you, Mr Knight. However, it conspires to make what I’m about to say even more difficult to say. I’ve decided it’s time to move on. Having had a taste of life in the Premier League with Sheffield Wednesday, I knew from then on that I wanted to get back to the Premier League as soon as possible. For a time, I thought the opportunity would arise unexpectedly with Brighton, but the opportunity presented to me by Coventry dwarfs that offered by your fine club, Mr Knight.â€

“I understand, Dixie. You’ve always been very professional in how you’ve gone about your business with the club for the last year and a bit, and we’re very grateful that you were able to turn the club about and put us in a strong position going forward. Prior to you coming in, we didn’t really have a youth team, but you have given us a solid foundation to build upon. I can only wish you good luck, Dixie, except when you play the Seagulls. You had best be on your way, then.â€

“Thanks, Mr Knight,†I say with a tear in my eye. Taking my leave from the Brighton chairman, who is now forced into looking for a new manager 424 days after hiring me, I quickly return to my office and assemble my belongings into a box. I take it to my car then go back to the training pitch to address the players. On the whole, they understand the situation. As they themselves wish to better themselves by playing at a higher level, they see that I wish to return to the top flight as soon as possible. I wish them the best of luck for the remainder of the season and that I hoped to be playing against them in the Premier League in the next couple of seasons. I shake the hands of Michel Kuipers, the club’s captain, and my former assistant manager, Bob Booker, and nod once more to the remainder of the players as I make my way back to the carpark, turn the key in the ignition, and leave the training pitches of Brighton and Hove Albion for the final time.

I drive quickly as possible to London to catch a flight to Coventry Airport, where I am met by representatives of the club before the local media could button-hole me, and they drive me directly to the Jaguar Arena, promising me during the drive that all arrangements will be carried out according to the personal terms struck between Mr McGinnity, my new boss, and my agent.

Unfortunately, there was no escaping the media when I arrived for my first day at work at my new club and as I am rushed from the carpark into the Jaguar Arena, I am confronted by a number of questions, mostly on the topic of whether I feel I have the capacity to save Coventry from relegation (tipped to be almost certain by the pundits sitting comfortably on their chairs back in the various studios). My minders tell the press that all questions will be answered at the press conference arranged for tomorrow morning and hustle me into the relative peace of the Jaguar Arena.

Having a perfunctory meeting with my new boss, I am ushered into my office where I immediately get down to work looking at the dossiers of the players at my disposal. Unfortunately, the club will be shorn of probably its best player for a substantial period, with El-Hadji Diouf playing for Senegal in the African Cup of Nations. In the meantime, it’s time to take a quick look at the squad available to me:

Goalkeepers

Rhys Evans (25 y/o, ENG, GK): 4 apps, 9 conceded, 1 MoM, av rating: 6.75

Stuart Taylor (27 y/o, ENG, GK): 21(1) apps, 38 conceded, 5 clean sheets, 8 MoMs, av rating: 7.09

Both senior goalkeepers on the books of Coventry City are competent, at best. Taylor, by virtue of his greater experience, will probably get my nod as first choice keeper, but I will be on the look-out for an improvement in this area in the summer.

Defenders

Jamie Clapham (32 y/o, ENG, D L): 14(2) apps, av. rating: 6.81

Stephen Jordan (25 y/o, ENG, D L): 2(1) apps, av. rating: 6.67

Clayton Fortune (25 y/o, ENG, D LC): 14(4) apps, av. rating: 6.94

James Collins (24 y/o, WAL 19 caps, 1 goal, D C): 15(4) apps, av. rating: 6.79

Darren Moore (33 y/o, JAM 21 caps, 1 goal, D C): 9(2) apps, av. rating: 6.82

Dean Richards (33 y/o, ENG, D C): 15(1) apps, av. rating: 6.88

Andrew Whing (23 y/o, ENG, D/DM R): 16(2) apps, av. rating: 6.83

Rob Kozluk (30 y/o, ENG, D/DM RL): 11(6) apps, av. rating: 7.00

Stuart Giddings (21 y/o, ENG, D/DM L): 19(2) apps, 4 assists, av. rating: 6.95

Unfortunately, there is a complete lack of quality in the defenders at Coventry, particularly relative to the demands imposed by the Premier League. It’s little wonder, then, that Coventry has conceded 43 goals so far this season and has the worst goal difference of all the clubs. Strengthening the defence in terms of new personnel will be a priority for me before the transfer window closes on the 31st of January 2008.

Midfielders

Olivier Dacourt (33 y/o, FRA 31 caps, 2 goals, DM C): 12 apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.17

Isaac Osbourne (21 y/o, ENG, DM C): 8(6) apps, av. rating: 7.00

Ben Harding (23 y/o, ENG, M C): 9(9) apps, av. rating: 6.78

Andy Morrell (33 y/o, ENG, AM RC): 8(1) apps, av. rating: 6.77

Stefan Ishizaki (25 y/o, SWE, AM RC): 2 apps, av. rating: 7.00

El-Hadji Diouf (27 y/o, SEN 47 caps, 16 goals, F RC): 13 apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.08

Michael Doyle (26 y/o, IRE 1 cap, AM LC): 13(1) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.86

Gary McSheffrey (25 y/o, ENG, F LC): 1(5) apps, av. rating: 6.17

While I thought that the defenders need work, at least there are some bodies I can put in the back four. I’m struggling to find sufficient players to play in midfield, particularly discounting (for the moment) Olivier Dacourt (injured for another three months after breaking his leg in training in November 2007) and El-Hadji Diouf (away on international duty). Ishizaki is a free transfer who only just arrived a few weeks ago and already looks to be a very good player, and for some unfathomable reason, Ben Harding is listed for loan when I think he should be playing for Coventry in the Premier League. The midfield needs work immediately.

Forwards

Graham Barrett (26 y/o, IRE 8 caps, 3 goals, AM/F RC): 24 apps, 8 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.83

Heider Helguson (30 y/o, ICE 49 caps, 11 goals, S C): 9(8) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.82

Ben Mackey (21 y/o, ENG, S C): 3(6) apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 7.00

Tommy Smith (27 y/o, ENG 1 cap, S C): 22 apps, 2 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.09

How Tommy Smith ever earned an international cap for England is beyond me, as he seems to be woeful in front of goals. Indeed, given that nobody on the roster has scored more than eight goals this season, it’s not hard to see why the goal difference is so poor. Graham Barrett will be the target man for the foreseeable future, but he lacks support off the bench and this will also need some prompt rectification.

The club has promised me £5 million plus whatever I can raise from sales of players, and I’m well under the wage budget allocated to me this season. Indeed, it makes me wonder what my predecessor, Mr Micky Adams, was doing in the pre-season.

No time to dwell on that, however, as it’s straight down to business, trying to find players willing to risk their reputations (as I have done) on a fight against relegation that will strengthen the squad immediately.

In the meantime, Coventry’s reserves defeat Chelsea reserves 3-1 and the U-18s defeat Wolves U-18s 2-1. Hopefully, they are good portents of things to come.

26th of January 2008

The table going into today’s game:

Pos Club Pld Won Drn Lst GF GA GD Pts

-------------------------------------------------------------

1st Chelsea 25 17 6 2 61 26 +35 57

16th Fulham 24 3 11 10 21 36 -15 20

17th Palace 24 4 7 13 20 40 -20 19

18th S'hampton 24 3 9 12 23 44 -21 18

19th Coventry 24 4 4 16 16 43 -27 16

20th Sheff Wed 24 1 10 13 16 39 -26 13

</pre>

The difficulty in escaping relegation is that our goal difference is so much worse than the clubs above us. Not only do we need to win games, but we need to win them well. The only club below us, Sheffield Wednesday, travels to Old Trafford to play Manchester United, so I think Coventry can pencil in a loss to the Owls there, meaning that we need to hope that Southampton loses at St Mary’s Stadium against a stuttering Liverpool. The club from the red side of the Mersey sits in a disappointing tenth position, and points are at a premium for Liverpool’s manager, Mr Sam Allardyce, if he wishes to retain his job.

Premiership – Game 25: Everton v Coventry

Toffees comfortably deal with the Sky Blues at Goodison Park

Senor Dixie Flatline’s first game in charge of Coventry took the Spanish manager to Goodison Park, where Everton hosted the relegation-threatened club. The home crowd went home happy with their favourites’ work after they strolled to a comfortable 3-0. Marcus Bent opened the scoring for Everton on 30 minutes when he latched on to a knock-down from Andrew Fowler after Richard Wright had launched a long ball forward. Bent, still some 40 yards from goal when he received the ball from Fowler, dribbled past several Coventry defenders before sending a powerful drive into the far corner of Stuart Taylor’s net.

Bent turned provider for Everton’s second goal on 67 minutes, when he was the link-man in a move involving Kevin Kilbane down the left flank. The Irishman’s pass into Bent drew the Coventry defenders, leaving a simple square-ball the perfect option for Bent to take, with Kevin Nolan the recipient of Bent’s good work. At 2-0, the game was up, although Coventry threatened Richard Wright’s goal for the first time when Marcus Doyle orchestrated a counter-attack from Stefan Ishizaki. However, Wright saved well from Ishizaki’s shot and the danger passed. After that, Coventry fell apart and Taylor conceded a penalty on 86 minutes when he was adjudged to have pushed Kevin Nolan while climbing for a disputed ball. James McFadden calmly dispatched the penalty to make the final score 3-0.

After the game, Everton manager, Herr Jupp Heynckes, told the media: “Every game against a club battling relegation is a danger game, and I impressed upon the players the need not to take this match lightly. Coventry are now under the guidance of a talented manager and it was important that we got off to a good start today. So I’m pleased with the result and I hope that we can use it as a springboard to move us up the ladder in the coming weeks.â€

Senor Flatline said: “We have plenty of things to improve if we are to steer our way clear of relegation by the end of the season. There were some positive signs from today, and I thought the final score a little harsh on us, but there is no doubt that if we are to remain in this division after the end of this season, we need to improve our application of the basic and fundamental skills of football.â€

My first game in charge of the Sky Blues takes me to Goodison Park where we play thirteenth-placed Everton. Having had only a few training sessions with my players, I try to play an ultra-conservative game, setting out our stall in a defensive 4-1-4-1 formation. However, our first opportunity at cracking the Everton nut leads us to conceding the first goal of the game and we were always going to be battling after that. Everton is only a mid-table club at the moment, but I’ve always found it difficult travelling to a club’s home ground that contains so much history, and Goodison Park is one of those grounds. It was almost like we were playing against 12 players. Things are going to need to improve, and quickly.

Everton (4-4-2): Wright; Boyle, Gardner (Francis 61), Mills, Hibbert; Kilbane, Cahill ©, Nolan, Osman; Bent (McFadden 68), Fowler (Hopkins 61).

Coventry (4-1-4-1): Taylor; Giddings, Fortune, Collins, Whing ©; Osbourne; McSheffrey (Kozluk 71), Harding (Doyle 59), Barrett, Ishizaki; Helguson (Mackey 59).

Final score: Everton 3:0 Coventry

MoM – Kevin Kilbane

After the game, I eagerly check the results from around the grounds. To the general astonishment of those in the room with me, Sheffield Wednesday had earned an unexpected point against Manchester United with a scoreless draw at Old Trafford. More encouragingly, Liverpool had beaten Southampton 3-1.

I did learn one lesson from the game – I need a new defensive midfielder to anchor the defence. Isaac Osbourne might be a promising player, but I need experienced players, cool in a crisis, to help Coventry stave off relegation. With Olivier Dacourt sidelined through a broken leg, I need help from the player market. Feelers were extended to a number of targets in the hope that one would bear fruit before the transfer window shut at the end of the month.

However, the match’s result is worsened with the news that Graham Barrett had picked up his fifth yellow card of the season, meaning an automatic one-match suspension for the Irish forward.

Coventry unveils Scottish defenders

After losing 3-0 away to Everton, Coventry manager, Senor Flatline, and chairman, Mr Mike McGinnity, wasted no time in unveiling Senor Flatline’s first acquisition as manager of Coventry, Scottish international defender, Gary Caldwell. Caldwell, signed for £3 million from Leicester City, told the assembled media at the Jaguar Arena that he was pleased to have signed with a club he held in high regard and, although the club’s situation was dire, he was confident that it could be rectified before the season ended.

Caldwell will be allocated shirt no. ‘39’ for the balance of the season…

My new assistant manager, Alan Cork, pops his head around the corner of the door to my office once the formalities of Caldwell’s signing have been completed to inform me that El-Hadji Diouf played the full 90 minutes in Senegal’s 2-0 loss to Ghana in the African Cup of Nations. Without wishing to be too selfish about it, I hope Senegal loses each group match so that Diouf can return to the Midlands as soon as practicable.

Peter Crouch to join Coventry in the summer

Sheffield Wednesday’s beanpole striker, Peter Crouch, has agreed to join the Sky Blues on a free transfer in the summer after coming to terms on a contract with Coventry. Crouch, signed by Senor Flatline when he was Wednesday’s manager, is said to be pleased to be rejoining his boss at Coventry. The move will be completed on the 1st of July 2008.

27th of January 2008

With my child playing on the floor in front of me, I settle down in the afternoon to watch Spurs host Crystal Palace at White Hart Lane. I’m supporting Spurs with every fibre of my being this afternoon, as Palace is one of the clubs that Coventry needs to overtake in order to escape relegation. However, my heart sinks on 40 minutes when young forward Ross Flynn nets the game’s only goal for Crystal Palace. The victory sends Palace into 16th position on the ladder.

Jonathan Spector joins Coventry

Former Manchester United defender Jonathan Spector today completed his £1.4 million move to Coventry, making it two new defenders for the club in the space of two days. Spector, who has previously played under Senor Flatline at Brighton, expressed his relief at completing the move to the Midlands: “It’s finally great to be at a club that will recognise my talents and give me the opportunity to play regular football again. Although Manchester United is a great club, I don’t believe the management hierarchy recognised my capabilities and I’m glad that Coventry made the offer to me. I’m determined to help Coventry escape relegation.â€

Spector will wear shirt no. ’40’ for the remainder of the season. His debut for Coventry may be delayed as he is currently battling a foot injury…

28th of January 2008

Michael Dawson switches to Coventry

Former England U-21 international Michael Dawson has left Tottenham and joined Coventry for £1.1 million, making it three defenders who have signed for the Sky Blues in three days. Senor Flatline, presenting Dawson with the no. ‘41’ shirt, at the press conference today, told reporters that he believed the acquisition of Dawson, along with the recent signings of Spector and Caldwell, marked a ‘new beginning’ for Coventry and, as far as he was concerned, the season started now…

29th of January 2008

Gunners add extra fire-power

Arsenal manager, Monsieur Arsene Wenger, and chairman, Mr Peter Hill-Wood, today unveiled Arsenal’s latest acquisition, Serbian international striker, Mateja Kezman. Kezman was signed from Barcelona for an undisclosed amount, but rumoured to be in the vicinity of £16.5 million. Kezman had spent just over two seasons with cross-town rival, Chelsea, but had not fitted in with Chelsea’s style of play, and had signed for Barcelona at the start of the 2006/07 season.

At the press conference, Kezman told the assembled reporters that he was pleased to have joined such an illustrious club and would do all his utmost to bring success to the Emirates Stadium.

Nolan crosses to the red side of Mersey

With the transfer deadline just two days away, Liverpool manager, Mr Sam Allardyce, has spent approximately £8.25 million on signing attacking midfielder Kevin Nolan from cross-town club, Everton. Nolan, capped four times by England, began his career with Bolton under Mr Allardyce, and he told reporters at Liverpool’s press conference to unveil him that he was keen to reacquaint himself with the Liverpool manager and was looking forward to improving Liverpool’s form.

30th of January 2008

Liverpool sign Danish defender

Liverpool has announced the acquisition of Danish international defender, Daniel Agger, from Brondby for £650,000. Agger, 23 and capped four times by his country, was highly regarded on the continent, and Liverpool beat off a host of clubs from Germany and Spain to land the young central defender.

The table going into today’s game:

1st Chelsea 25 17 6 2 61 26 +35 57

16th Palace 25 5 7 13 21 40 -19 22

17th Fulham 25 3 11 10 21 38 -17 20

18th S'hampton 25 3 9 13 24 47 -23 18

19th Coventry 25 4 4 17 16 46 -30 16

20th Sheff Wed 25 1 11 13 16 39 -26 14

</pre>

Premier League – Game 26: Coventry v Fulham

No prizes for guessing the gist of my pre-match team talk today – three points are not only desired, but expected if we are to commence our ‘great escape’. Fulham sits four points ahead of us, so a win would lift us to within a point. With Michael Dawson at centre half and Gary Caldwell playing in the hole in front of the back four, I’m feeling more confident about the leaky defence (the second-worst in the Premier League so far this season) but I haven’t yet been able to bring in any creative midfielders or forwards. I’m further handicapped by the suspension of Graham Barrett and the ongoing absence of El-Hadji Diouf on African Cup of Nations duty.

However, the game begins brightly for us when on 5 minutes, Stuart Taylor’s long clearance is headed square under no pressure by Fulham defender Moritz Volz. However, Volz had forgotten that Heider Helguson was lurking in the background, and the Icelandic striker steals in to take possession of the ball ahead of Wes Morgan, the intended target for Volz’s header. Helguson drives towards goal with Morgan in desperate pursuit. Van Der Sar rushes off his goal-line to try to take the ball off Helguson’s foot, but the striker has the presence of mind to dribble past Van Der Sar and applies the finishing touch to give us an unexpected but wholly welcomed lead! icon_smile.gif

The goal gives us confidence to press Fulham and we fashion some chances that more composed finishing would have seen us double our lead. It turns out to be crucial as referee Phil Dowd seeks to impose his authority on the game. Against the run of play during the first half, Dowd blows for a foul within the range of Fulham midfielder Stilian Petrov. The Bulgarian takes his time then lifts the free kick over the Coventry wall and past a static Taylor to make it 1-1 in injury time at the end of the first half. icon_mad.gif

I reiterate to the players at half-time that it’s imperative that we take the points from this game against a club whose head is only just above the dark waters of relegation. I expect them to breathe fire in the second half and re-take the lead, but the equalising goal from Petrov seems instead to suck the energy out of them, and the match meanders along towards its conclusion. I make substitutions to try to freshen up our approach, but not even the sterling work of Dawson in defence is enough to inspire his colleagues to push for victory and the match ends in a tame, and unhelpful, draw.

Coventry (4-1-4-1): Taylor; Kozluk, Dawson, Collins, Whing ©; Caldwell; Giddings, McSheffrey (Harding 78), Doyle, Ishizaki; Helguson (Mackey 62).

Fulham (4-4-2): Van Der Sar; Green, Bocanegra ©, Morgan (Nakamura 55), Volz; Boa Morte, Petrov, Gurpegi, Keane (Griffin 68); Jansen (McDonald 55), John.

Final score: Coventry 1:1 Fulham

MoM – Michael Dawson

After the game and all media commitments are done, I return to my office within the bowels of the Jaguar Arena and flick the television over to Sky Sports. I’m struck dumb in horror. We’re stone, motherless last. Against all odds, Sheffield Wednesday had defeated ten-men Bolton 1-0 at Hillsborough, with the winning goal scored by Rohan Ricketts in injury time at the end of the game. We are now equal on points with the Owls but by virtue of having an inferior goal difference, we had plunged to the bottom of the Premier League.

To make things worse Southampton had gone to Stamford Bridge and collected a point from Chelsea with a 0-0 draw, while Crystal Palace had walloped Everton to the tune of a 4-1 win. So, while we gained a point from our draw, we really needed the win. icon_frown.gif

31st of January 2008

While other clubs are exploring opportunities to bring in new players before the transfer window slams shut tonight, I’m resigned to the fact that I don’t have sufficient funds to sign anybody else. I have a few options of bringing in players on loan, which will hopefully mature as the day wears on, but I’m gratified to hear from the agent of Swedish attacking midfielder Henok Goitom that his client is prepared to give up life in Italy to join Coventry at the start of next season on a free transfer.

I am also informed by the agent of young English attacking midfielder David McGoldrick that he wants to play for Coventry next season, after spending the last couple of seasons with Cartagena in the Segunda Liga B.

Coventry bolster squad, at least temporarily

With Senor Flatline allegedly spending the money allocated by the Coventry board of directors already, Coventry supporters are today hoping that the loan signings of Mathieu Berson and Bruno Cheyrou from Aston Villa and Liverpool respectively will give the club, last in the English Premier League, the shot in the arm it needs to make its escape from the relegation zone. Both Berson and Cheyrou join the club on a three-month loan and neither the players nor Senor Flatline would be drawn at today’s press conference at the Jaguar Arena on whether the move of either player could be made permanent at the end of the season.

Senor Flatline told the press: “Since I joined Coventry, I’ve been aware that the creativity in midfield has been sadly lacking. While the return of El-Hadji Diouf from the African Cup of Nations will be most welcome, I believe that he needs support. Bruno Cheyrou is an accomplished midfielder who has been happy enough to agree to come to Coventry, at least on a temporary basis, to assist in that area. Similarly, Mathieu Berson is a useful defensive midfielder who will fill a role for us while Olivier Dacourt recovers from his injury.â€

1st of February 2008

With the ink barely dry on my new contract, the board meeting is a quick affair, with Mr McGinnity emphasising that the board hopes for a long and successful era under my management. Of more immediate concern is finding a way to beat Aston Villa.

2nd of February 2008

Sky Blues sign Colombian international midfielder on a free transfer

Senor Flatline and Coventry chairman, Mr Mike McGinnity, today unveiled Coventry’s latest acquisition, former Medellin defensive midfielder Jaime Alberto Castrillon, after he was granted a conditional work permit by the British Home Office. Castrillon, capped 20 times by his country, told reporters through a translator that he was pleased to have made the move to Coventry and therefore given the opportunity to test himself in one of the toughest leagues in professional football. He will wear the no. ‘44’ jersey for the remainder of the season.

3rd of February 2008

Seven Coventry players are called up to play for their respective countries. Iceland adds Heider Helguson to its squad. Wales calls up James Collins. Jamaica informs Darren Moore that he is a required player. Sweden wants Stefan Ishizaki. England makes Stuart Taylor their third goalkeeper on the roster. The Republic of Ireland wants Graham Barrett. Scotland informs Gary Caldwell that he is a required player. All matches will be played on the 6th of February 2008.

“Boss,†says my assistant manager. “El-Hadji Diouf earned his 50th cap for Senegal as they defeated Angola 1-0 in the quarter-final of the African Cup of Nations.â€

“Good for him, but I wish he was back in England. I could use a player with his talent at my disposal.â€

4th of February 2008

1st Chelsea 27 18 7 2 65 28 +37 61

16th Palace 27 6 7 14 26 46 -20 25

17th Fulham 27 4 12 11 27 40 -13 24

18th S'hampton 27 4 10 13 27 47 -20 22

19th Sheff Wed 27 2 11 14 18 41 -23 17

20th Coventry 26 4 5 17 16 39 -26 17

</pre>

Premier League – Game 27: Aston Villa v Coventry

Against the club fifth in the league, most pundits are expecting us to be potted. Villa certainly dominates possession and on 40 minutes the Birmingham club has its reward when Vittek takes a short pass from Patrick Kluivert then slides it past Stuart Taylor. icon_frown.gif In injury time at the end of the game, Ishizaki gives away a penalty (thanks to a poor decision from the referee, Graham Poll) but Taylor is good enough to push away Kluivert’s spot-kick and then dives on the rebound to prevent Aston Villa scoring a second goal.

Although our defence tried hard, particularly with the amount of possession Aston Villa had, we struggle to create any chances, and we barely test Paul Robinson. In fact, the only time Robinson touches the ball is when Barrett struggles to have a long-range effort that would have gone wide.

Aston Villa (4-2-3-1): Robinson; Distin, Ridgewell, Mellberg ©, Zuiverloon (Finnan 61); Hitzlsberger, Hendrie; Bierofka, Kluivert, Sikora (Dyer 73); Vittek (Angel 61).

Coventry (4-1-4-1): Taylor; Kozluk, Dawson, Collins, Whing ©; Caldwell; Giddings, Doyle, Cheyrou (Harding 63), Ishizaki; Barrett (Mackey 63).

Final score: Aston Villa 1:0 Coventry

MoM – Daniel Bierofka

Coventry “could be relegated

Speaking to football365.com after he watched his club defeat Coventry 1-0 at Villa Park, Aston Villa manager, Mr Louis Van Gaal, said that he believed that Coventry would struggle to avoid relegation.

I say nothing in response to the press, but obtain a transcript from the website and take it back home with me in order to put it up in the club’s change-rooms to motivate the players.

6th of February 2008

Coventry completes double sale

Defender Sekani Simpson and striker Tommy Smith have both left Coventry for Reading and Sunderland respectively. Both players were on the outer after new manager, Senor Dixie Flatline, was appointed manager of Coventry in late January 2008 and both told reporters that they were pleased to leave Coventry behind and start afresh at their new clubs. Transfer fees weren’t released by Coventry, Reading or Sunderland, but it is understood that Simpson was signed by Reading for approximately £500,000 and Tommy Smith by Sunderland for £1.5 million.

Sekani Simpson (23 y/o, ENG, D C): 7(3) apps, av. rating: 6.90

Tommy Smith (27 y/o, ENG 1 cap, S C): 22 apps, 2 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.09

Alan Cork, my assistant manager, reports on the international games played by Coventry players, advising me that Gary Caldwell played the first half in Scotland’s 3-1 win over Kuwait before he was withdrawn at half-time as a precaution against injury. Darren Moore was a substitute for Jamaica as they drew 2-2 with the USA. James Collins played 60 minutes for Wales as they drew 1-1 with Hungary in Cardiff. Heider Helguson also played 60 minutes as Iceland defeated Bahrain 3-0 in the Middle East. Graham Barrett played the last 35 minutes of Ireland’s 2-0 win over Italy at Lansdowne Road. Jaime Alberto Castrillon was a substitute for Colombia in their 3-0 win over Guadaloupe.

7th of February 2008

Alan Cork tells me that El-Hadji Diouf played the full 90 minutes as Senegal defeated Nigeria in the first semi-final of the African Cup of Nations.

10th of February 2008

1st Chelsea 27 18 7 2 65 28 +37 61

16th Palace 28 6 7 15 28 50 -22 25

17th Fulham 27 4 12 11 27 40 -13 24

18th S'hampton 28 4 10 14 27 50 -23 22

19th Sheff Wed 28 3 11 14 20 41 -21 20

20th Coventry 27 4 5 18 16 40 -27 17

</pre>

Premier League – Game 28: West Bromwich Albion v Coventry

Helguson strike rescues point for Coventry

Substitute Heider Helguson’s third goal of the season rescued a point for Coventry as they drew 1-1 with West Bromwich Albion.

Senor Flatline continued to re-shape Coventry’s first eleven, with Castrillon and Berson making their debuts in midfield for Coventry in place of the suspended Rob Kozluk and the omitted James Collins, as Gary Caldwell dropped back to the centre of Coventry’s defence to partner Michael Dawson.

The game was a bright and open affair, as each side tried to exploit the other’s defensive vulnerabilities. However, despite the teams’ best efforts they went into the half-time break still locked at 0-0 apiece. But West Brom took the lead on 60 minutes when Neil Clement lashed home from the edge of the box past the surprised Stuart Taylor, following some useful work from Joseph-Desire Job and Lloyd Dyer. Senor Flatline immediately responded by removing the tiring Castrillon in favour of Heider Helguson and pushing the Icelandic international forward to partner Barrett, leaving Coventry in a 4-1-3-2 formation. Unfortunately, Barrett picked up a thigh strain eight minutes later, which meant that Ben Harding came on into midfield, with Stefan Ishizaki as a make-shift striker.

The equaliser for Coventry came due to Helguson’s persistence and strength. Helguson fought Aaron Labonte for possession of the ball and beat the West Brom defender, leaving him with a one-on-one opportunity with West Brom’s keeper, Tomasz Kuszczak. Helguson made no mistake and on 73 minutes, the clubs were again tied, at 1-1 apiece. Coventry looked to take their first win under the management of Senor Flatline, but despite creating the better opportunities, the West Brom defence, marshalled by Kuszczak, stood tall to deny Coventry a much-needed winner.

After the game, Senor Flatline said: “That’s much better. I’m of course disappointed that we didn’t come away with all three points, as I think our endeavour deserved, but there’s no denying the spirit in the team, and I hope that we can take a lot of heart from the way we played this evening. West Bromwich is a good side and to take a point from our meeting here is a good fillip for the side, as we head into the break.â€

West Bromwich Albion manager, Mr Gary Megson, told the press: “We’re a little disappointed, it must be said. I thought that we created some good chances which, apart from Neil [Clement], we failed to take. That gave Coventry the hope to get back in the game and, credit to them, they were good enough to make and take the crucial chance. We’ll need to improve our concentration at the back if we’re to climb up the ladder.â€

A solid performance and a point, which helps. Would have been nice to have been three points, particularly with the surrounding clubs picking up wins in recent weeks. We have a game against Crystal Palace in a fortnight, after the break for internationals, so we have to make the most of that.

West Bromwich Albion (4-4-2): Kuszczak; Clement, Davenport (Tanska 60), Labonte (Hodges 78), Gaardsøe; Dyer, Gordon, Koumas (Atouba 29), Job; Macken, Doherty ©.

Coventry (4-1-4-1): Taylor; Giddings, Dawson, Caldwell, Whing ©; Berson; Doyle, Cheyrou, Castrillon (Helguson 63), Ishizaki; Barrett (Harding 68).

Final score: West Bromwich Albion 1:1 Coventry

MoM – Stuart Taylor

After the game, I check in with Coventry’s head physio on the diagnosis of Graham Barrett’s injury. To my relief, I’m informed that the Irish international will miss only five days with a thigh strain, which gives him plenty of time to recover from the strain ahead of our crucial game against Crystal Palace. With El-Hadji Diouf finally available to me for selection, I’m starting to have something approximating my best eleven available to me.

Speaking of the Senegalese forward, he is busy celebrating his nation’s victory in the African Cup of Nations final over Ivory Coast on penalties after the two countries drew at the end of full-time and extra-time 1-1 apiece.

Archived