Seagulls are nasty birds

Dixie Flatline

4th of October 2006

The Gunners hit the Owls for six

Senor Flatline’s Sheffield Wednesday was on the wrong side of a six-nil drubbing at the Emirates Stadium this afternoon. Owls’ keeper, Mark Bosnich, was given the unenviable task of picking the ball out his net three times in each half this afternoon, as almost 55,000 saw Arsenal run Sheffield Wednesday ragged…

Sheffield Wednesday manager, Senor Dixie Flatline, sacked

Sheffield Wednesday chairman, Mr Dave Allen, issued a press release this evening saying that, with reluctance, it was time for the club to part with the services of its manager, Senor Dixie Flatline.

Although this surprising news comes hard on the heels of a big 6-0 defeat at the hands of Arsenal earlier today, speculation suggests that the result was not the catalyst for the decision, but an ultimatum issued by Senor Flatline to the chairman to authorise the release of extra funds to build a stronger squad after the club was promoted from the Coca-Cola Championship at the end of the 2005/06 season. Neither the club nor Senor Flatline was prepared to comment on developments, but we understand that Senor Flatline will be required to clear his possessions from the club in the next day.

Assistant manager, Kevin Summerfield, is expected to be named caretaker manager and take charge of first team affairs in the next day or so, as the club prepares for its next game at Hillsborough against Bolton Wanderers…

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

25th of November 2006

More than 800 days in charge of the Owls. In that time, I had achieved successive promotions from League One to the Premier League, restoring hope to the fans that the club, a former powerhouse, would once again stride across the country and be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool. But the chairman, Dave Allen, decided that he wanted to pocket the windfall from the television revenue pie rather than help me build a team. I already had had sharp words with the Board of Directors, led by the chairman, before the fateful October afternoon against Arsenal.

I knew that the squad was not going to be strong enough to have a realistic chance at surviving the fight against relegation without a sufficient influx of new players. Mark Bosnich, Hayden Mullins, Gil Swerts, Stephen Warnock, Anton Ferdinand, Ousmane Dabo, Pablo Marcelo Trobbiani, Rohan Ricketts, Kenny Lunt, Rory Delap, Christian Vieri, Peter Crouch and Danny Allsopp were good players, but collectively, they weren’t talented enough to ensure that the club survived a difficult first season back in the Premier League.

However, despite hours going over this with the Board of Directors, I could not make any headway with the chairman. My attempts to sell players fell flat, with few clubs being interested in any cast-offs.

Finally, I’d had enough. I walked in to the chairman’s office and I told him in no uncertain terms that he’d either authorise the release of further funds, so I could strengthen the squad (for example, Juventus was prepared to sell me Olivier Kapo, but only if I could raise the funds) or I walked out the door, not to return. The chairman chose to dispense with my services that very night, in an extraordinary meeting of the Board of Directors.

My personal assistant, who had accompanied me to Sheffield from Spain, joined me in the unemployment lines, and we returned to Spain where I managed to pick up some work commentating for a local television station in Cartagena. I hadn’t been on a big wage at Sheffield Wednesday, though, and as the weeks turned in to months without work, I was beginning to see the funds in the bank account dwindle without sufficient replenishment. Dreams of managing Everton (who had sacked David Moyes shortly before Dave Allen pulled the trigger on my career at the Owls), Atletíco Madrid, Real Zaragoza, and a number of either clubs vanished as I either didn’t receive the opportunity to be interviewed, failed to impress sufficiently at the interview to be offered the job, or simply didn’t have the profile to match my rival candidates for the various jobs.

In desperation, I returned to League One, taking on the opportunity of turning around Brighton and Hove Albion. It was certainly a step removed from the dizzy heights of the Premier League, but it was better than nothing. The chairman, Mr Dick Knight, welcomed me to his office in the bowels of Withdean Stadium in Brighton and laid it on the line for me. Basically, he wanted the glory days restored to Brighton. He declared to me that the club needs a higher profile, and he felt that I had the credentials to do that for his club. He was prepared to pay me a fair wage packet too - £10,750 per week, which was more than ten times the deal I was receiving when managing Sheffield Wednesday.

I had fond memories of League One with Sheffield Wednesday. Two seasons ago, we swept the competition, accumulating 102 points in 46 games as we lost two games for the season. Players like Bosnich (signed on a free transfer), Brazilian striker Júnior (signed from Derby County for the sum of £60,000), Trobbiani (signed on a free transfer), Danny Allsopp (signed from Hull City for £24,000), Luke Wilkshire (signed from Bristol City for £16,000), Léandre Griffit (signed from Southampton for £110,000), Hayden Mullins (loaned from West Ham United for the season) and Stephen Warnock (loaned from Liverpool for the season) were just too good for the remainder of the division.

The next season (2005/06), we came second in the Championship, behind Bolton, who under Gianluca Vialli, waltzed to the title, scoring 108 points as well as handing out a big defeat to my side when we met in the third round of the FA Cup at the Reebok Stadium (indeed, until Arsenal thrashed us, that 4-0 defeat was my biggest in my career). We managed the very respectable 95 points in the Championship, helped by the likes of Lunt, Ricketts (then just on loan from Spurs), Warnock (signed from Liverpool for £1 million), Crouch (signed from Southampton for £250,000), and Mullins (signed from West Ham for £200,000), to finish runner up and secure the second automatic promotion place from the Championship to the Premier League.

Brighton and Hove Albion, though, is, well, a little different to Sheffield Wednesday. The Owls, obviously, enjoy the support of up to 40,000 people at Hillsborough. Brighton, however, have to make do with a 9,000 seater stadium, the Withdean Stadium. Dick Knight promised me a substantial transfer kitty when I signed on, and what he called a generous salary budget of £20,000 per week for the squad. However, when I started sorting through the finances, I found that the aggregate of the players’ already exceeded the budget I’d been set by the chairman.

Not only that, but the facilities for training were somewhat different to what I’d been used to in my previous job. The standard of the coaches, for example, was beneath what I’d enjoyed at the Owls. I’m a big believer that the better the coaches, the better the players. This was going to need improvement, and quickly. There was nothing in the way of a youth program underway at Brighton, whereas at the Owls, I instructed my scouts to look out for the best young lads in the land and let me know, so I could get them across to the club. Thus, the likes of Nathan Geary (from Bournemouth), Theo Walcott (from Southampton) and Patrick Bexfield (from Norwich) were in my U-18s at the Owls, developing valuable experience, while Simon Walton was on the fringe of the first team, even in the Premier League.

The size of the squad needed urgent work. It was paper thin, and I already had to contend with two suspensions of what seemed to be key players (given the number of players in the squad, by default anyone in the first team was a ‘key player’). No back-up keeper, only two central defenders (one of whom was needed at right back because the regular right back was suspended for the next game), and three strikers (only one of whom, Leon Knight, seemed competent) was not the basis for a squad who could cope with the demands of League One football, let alone think about a promotion push.

But it’s November 2006, and the season is long. Perhaps, given the right signings, we could make an improvement on 16th, and find ourselves comfortably mid-table, or perhaps even looking at a playoff position. At least, that’s what I told the directors when I signed the contract to be their manager. However, I was impatient to get through my ‘ordeal’ at Brighton. I had had a taste of life at the Premier League. It was like nothing else – the pressure of trying to keep Sheffield Wednesday’s head above the dark waters leading back into the Championship was intoxicating. I wanted it. I needed it, and to be truthful, I was unlikely to get it at Brighton.

Yet they were kind enough to give me a second opportunity at managing a club. I needed to be professional about this, if I was to rebuild my reputation and achieve my own personal goals. I had to do the best job I could for Brighton.

The first thing to do is to look at the squad.

Goalkeepers

Michel Kuipers (32 y/o, GK, NED): 22 apps, 23 conceded, 8 clean sheets, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.27

Richard Martin (18 y/o, GK, ENG): 0 apps

No real competition here. Kuipers, whose contract expires at the end of the season, is the clear number one. A genuine back-up keeper (who could take over from Kuipers in the event we don’t come to terms on a new contract) is required, as a matter of urgency. Martin is only young, but I don’t think he has a future at this club.

Defenders

Adam Hinshelwood (22 y/o, D RC, ENG): 17(2) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.58

Kerry Mayo (29 y/o, D L, ENG): 20 apps, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.05

Adam El-Abd (22 y/o, D/DM R, ENG): 20(1) apps, av rating: 7.24

Brian Barry-Murphy (28 y/o, D/DM L, IRL): 3(1) apps, av rating: 6.25 (on loan at Aldershot)

Adam Virgo (23 y/o, D/F RC, SCO): 20(2), 1 goal, 2 MoMs, av rating: 7.32

Paul Hinshelwood (18 y/o, D C, ENG): 0(4) apps, av rating: 6.75 (reserves)

Hmm, there needs to be some strengthening of the defence done, here. It’s barely adequate at full strength for League One purposes, and with El-Abd suspended for the next match, it’s not full strength at the moment. Given that Virgo is also a fairly handy forward, if I can find enough reinforcements so that the defence doesn’t cause me as much concern as it does now, then he might find himself up front.

Midfielders

Alexis Nicholas (23 y/o, CYP 9 caps, 1 goal, DM C): 19 apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av rating 7.26

Charlie Oatway (32 y/o, ENG, DM C): 19(3) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av rating: 7.00

Albert Jarrett (22 y/o, ENG, M L): 14(6) apps, 2 goals, av rating: 6.80

Ross Jackson (17 y/o, ENG, D/M R): 0(6) apps, av rating: 6.67 (reserves)

Tareq Khalil (18 y/o, ENG, M C): 2(1) apps, av rating: 6.33 (reserves)

Mitchell Booth (18 y/o, WAL, M C): 18(4) apps, 2 assists, av rating: 7.27

Stephen Dawson (20 y/o, IRL, M C): 2 apps, av rating: 7.50 (on loan from Leicester)

David Jones (22 y/o, ENG, M C): 2(1) apps, av rating: 6.00 (on loan from Manchester United)

On second thoughts, perhaps the midfield also needs some work. There doesn’t seem to be anyone capable of playing on the right side of midfield except for Jackson who is too young to count upon for the entire season, whereas we seem to have quite a few central midfielders. Jarrett is unlikely to feature much, if I can help it, and should I succeed in moving him on, then I would solve the issue concerning the budget with one foul swoop.

Nicolas is our residential international, and he was lining up a move out of the club when I was appointed manager. The club interested in him has cooled its heels for the moment as it waits me decision on the playing squad. However, if I can help it, Nicolas is going to be a part of the club for a while, though he claims that he feels the pressure of playing in the first team. As one of our better players, I hope he gets over that feeling quickly, because I suspect I’ll need him as the season progresses.

Forwards

Mark Smyth (21 y/o, ENG, F LC): 11(5) apps, 2 assists, av rating: 7.00

Leon Knight (24 y/o, ENG, S C): 19(1) apps, 6 goals, 5 assists, av rating: 7.00

Duncan McLean (23 y/o, SCO, S C): 1(4) apps, av rating: 6.80

Jake Robinson (20 y/o, ENG, S C): 6(8) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, av rating: 6.64

Maheta Molango (24 y/o, CON, S C): 2(1) apps, av rating: 7.00 (reserves)

Well, perhaps the lack of a cutting edge up front is also a contributing factor to Brighton’s season to date. Leon Knight is a decent enough forward, but he has precious little support and he is attracting the interest of clubs higher in the pyramid. Selling him would release some pressure on the wages, but I’d fear that we’d struggle to score a goal without him in the side.

Things are quite desperate. I have four days until our next game against Cheltenham to work something out, so there’s no time to waste. The two scouts on the books are going to be quite busy over the next few weeks as I try to strengthen the squad in all areas.

26th of November 2006

I make a signing almost immediately, though. I appoint Kevin Taylor a coach. He is 36 years old, never been employed, but scored highly on the coaching badges course and was affordable. He signed on until the end of the season, which suits my purposes.

29th of November 2006

League One – Game 18: Cheltenham v Brighton

With only one competent central defender available to me, I adopt a back three, two defensive midfielders, three central midfielders and two strikers as my formation, a slight variation on my back four, one defensive midfielder, three central midfielders and two strikers. Playing bottom-placed Cheltenham, I’m hoping for a bright start to my second phase of my managerial career, and we do play well in the first half, with Jake Robinson in particular unlucky not to have a goal by half-time, with one shot saved and one shot blasted over the bar.

However, Damien Spencer changes the complexion of the match in the second half when he nets twice in the space of nine minutes. The first goal is a model of simplicity as Cheltenham recovers the ball from Mayo’s panicked clearance and floats it over our penalty box where Spencer charges in behind Mayo to knock past Kuipers on 52 minutes. On 61 minutes, we head the ball clear from a corner, but only so far as Cheltenham’s Duff, who puts the ball back in to the dangerous position. Failing to clear our lines quick enough allows Spencer to flick the ball in to the net with no chance of an offside call. icon_mad.gif

I swing the changes and substitute striker Molango turns in Jarrett’s accurate cross on 90 minutes to give a different complexion to the scoreline. But in truth, we never had the time to threaten an equaliser, and I’m disappointed to see us go down in my first match in charge for two months.

Cheltenham (4-4-2): Higgs; Victory, Duff, Brough, Wilson ©; Waters (Devaney 61), Warren, Bird, Melligan; Spencer (Whittington 61), Lewis (Odejayi 72).

Brighton (3-2-3-2): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Virgo, Hinshelwood; Nicolas, Jones; Smyth (Jarrett 69), Booth, Dawson (Jackson 69); Knight, Robinson (Molango 69).

Final score: Cheltenham 2:1 Brighton

MoM – Damien Spencer (Cheltenham)

After the game concludes, I’m straight back on the mobile phone, instructing the club’s lawyers to start preparing offers to players. In particular, I target West Bromwich Albion duo Darren Purse, a central defender, and former Argentine international defensive midfielder, Matias Jesus Almeyda. Both are currently on loan, and they come highly recommended by Brighton’s scouts. Neither feature in the long-term plans of West Brom, so they would come on the cheap and significantly strengthen my side, should I succeed in landing them. However, I would have to wait until their loans conclude before they would join.

Gez Murphy is another player I have my eye on, having commenced negotiations with his current club Nuneaton Burrough over an adequate package for the striker. He has done quite well in the Conference this season for his club, and he packs a good shot. Perhaps his first touch lets him down, but he would be a step up in terms of my options to partner Leon Knight up front.

1st of December 2006

I meet with the board of directors to discuss the progress I’ve been making at the club over the last week. As you might expect, the meeting is short and the directors tell me that they hope for a long and successful era under my management.

I’m called back to my office by my PA, telling me that the manager of provincial Spanish club Mirandés wants to negotiate with me over the versatile defensive player Ãlvarez, who is capable of playing either as a central defender or as a defensive midfielder. Having found the proposed terms acceptable, I continue working on finding new players for the club.

One such player is 32 year old former Danish international Morten Bisgaard, who is currently in Derby’s reserves team. He attracts the interest of Kidderminster with a three-month loan deal, which prompts me to offer £3,000 to his club to take him permanently. I don’t really want to waste a loan spot on such a player at this stage of his career, but I feel that his ability to find a good pass and his free kick prowess and experience would be useful to me.

2nd of December 2006

FA Cup – 2nd round: Brighton v Bristol Rovers

We’re up against League Two opposition here, though my opponent today has some good players, such as former Blackburn Rovers and Brighton defender, Jeff Kenna, former Welsh international Paul Trollope, former Irish international Mark Kinsella, and striker Junior Agogo.

An almost capacity crowd makes me feel welcome at Withdean Stadium, as the chairman introduces me to the home fans for the first time at a game since I signed the contract to manage Brighton. I smile, wave and pose for the cameras from The Argus, hoping that the boys can do the business today.

We start brightly with Charlie Oatway finding the back of the net on five minutes after some excellent play from Leon Knight, taking the ball down the right channel and finding the defensive midfielder marauding forward, who hits the shot from just outside the area. However, Trollope and Kinsella are instrumental in orchestrating the Rovers’ comeback, which is crowned by Junior Agogo’s equaliser on 33 minutes. Worryingly, Rovers create more opportunities than we do, and I’m forced to make an early substitution when Mitchell Booth is forced from the field – he is replaced by youngster Ross Jackson.

The match ends all-square at 1-1 apiece, not for lack of trying, though, especially on the part of Rovers. Worrying signs and plenty to think about.

Brighton (4-1-3-2): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Virgo (P. Hinshelwood 65), A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Nicolas; Jarrett, Oatway, Booth (Jackson 19); Smyth (Molango 65), Knight.

Bristol Rovers (4-4-2): Lancaster; Harrison, Anderson, Hinton (Denvers 74), Kenna; Trollope, Savage, Kinsella (Disley 64), Gibb; Walker ©, Agogo (McPhee 74).

Final score: Brighton 1:1 Bristol Rovers

MoM – Craig Hinton

So, we have to contend with a replay and we’ll be without Mitchell Booth for up to a month, after he suffered some strained knee ligaments thanks to a meaty Bristol Rovers challenge.

Brighton boss admits that Booth absence will be a blow

New Brighton manager, Senor Flatline, admitted to The Argus that the injury sustained by Welsh midfielder Mitchell Booth is a blow to the club’s chances in League One this season. Booth suffered strained knee ligaments in his club’s 1-1 draw with League Two side Bristol Rovers in the second round of the FA Cup today. Senor Flatline says that while Booth’s absence will be noticeable, he believes he has sufficient cover for the Welsh midfielder.

After the game, I’m told that a new record for gate receipts was set, with the club collecting approximately £160,000 from the gate. With another home game in a week’s time against Torquay, hopefully we can start building some money from gate receipts.

3rd of December 2006

I’m informed by my assistant manager, Bob Booker, that Mitchell Booth appears pleased with the comments I made yesterday to The Argus concerning his absence. I would hope that the young man puts the position of his club ahead of his own ego.

Offers for Almeyda and Purse are accepted by their club, West Brom, but I’m informed separately by their respective agents that they have no intention of dropping down to League One on a permanent basis. I offer personal terms anyway, but it seems like I might have to wait until both players have completed their current loans if I’m going to acquire either or both players.

6th of December 2006

Almeyda tells me that my terms are unacceptable to somebody of his stature in football.

7th of December 2006

Brighton ‘too good to refuse’

Senor Flatline paraded his first signing as manager of Brighton and Hove Albion today, with former Nuneaton striker Gez Murphy unveiled as the Seagulls’ latest acquisition. The striker, who commenced his career at Telford, before spending 2½ seasons with the Boro, said that he hoped fans of his former club could understand that he wasn’t motivated to leave Nuneaton for money, but because he wanted to test himself at a higher level.

Senor Flatline told The Argus that he believed that Murphy was a solid acquisition who would do well in the remainder of this League One season. Senor Flatline refused to reveal the transfer fee paid by Brighton to the Boro, but sources close to Mr Dick Knight, chairman of Brighton, suggest that the fee was in the order of £100,000.

The Argus can also reveal exclusively that Brighton has requested the Home Office expedite an application for a work permit for Manchester United U-19 defender Rincón. No word at this stage on whether the application will be accepted by the Home Office.

Gez Murphy is a short-term fix to my shortage of decent strikers, and he will have his opportunity to partner Leon Knight in our next home game against Torquay on the weekend. It probably spells the end of Duncan McLean’s career at Brighton – he was only signed in the summer, but he isn’t an impressive player, even by League One standards, and I feel the club did him a disservice by signing him. I decide to transfer-list him and see if I can release the wages off the club’s books to sign further players.

8th of December 2006

Senor Flatline deserves success with the Seagulls

In the build-up to Saturday’s match against Brighton, Torquay manager Mr Leroy Rosenior said that he sincerely hoped that the best team wins at Withdean Stadium. With both clubs looking to avoid a battle with relegation this season, Mr Rosenior’s surprisingly gracious comments were greeted with similarly hospitable comments in turn from the former Owls manager. Senor Flatline told The Argus that he believed that Mr Rosenior was one of the better up and coming managers in the English game and he was a friendly guy into the bargain.

I have two more players coming to the club on New Year’s day when the international transfer window re-opens. First off the rank is Mirandés player Ãlvarez, who is a central defender and a defensive midfielder, while Regillio Vrede will come to England from TOP Oss to help strengthen my options in the centre of defence.

However, Darren Purse will not be making a permanent move to Withdean Stadium, after he followed his teammate’s lead in rejecting personal terms. I will consider whether it’s worth snaring him on loan.

9th of December 2006

League One – Game 19: Brighton v Torquay

Against a club sitting 23rd in the division, no matter the friendly words of its manager, I expect my players to secure all three points.

Perhaps my expectations are too much at this stage.

We begin the game brightly, opening the scoring on 8 minutes when on-loan midfielder Stephen Dawson is found by a long clearing kick from goalkeeper Michel Kuipers advancing towards the Torquay goal. Dawson spots the onrushing Torquay keeper and has the presence of mind to lift the ball over him and watches it trickle in to the back of the net. icon_smile.gif But our lead is only shortlived as six minutes later, Torquay have their equaliser through Tony Bedeau. The goal is ridiculous in its simplicity, as Bedeau simply has to flick on the long throw from the right side of the pitch into the back of the net, abandoned by Kuipers as he tried in vain to punch the ball clear. icon_mad.gif

With the teams both creating a number of chances as the match wears on, it’s only a matter of time before another goal is scored. Dawson is at the heart of the move that sets up Leon Knight to score his seventh goal of the season. Although the Torquay keeper manages to get a hand to Knight’s shot, it is powerful enough to hit the back of the net on 74 minutes. However, we drop two points when Torquay finds the equaliser eight minutes later. Joy finds a ridiculous amount of space free on the left side of their midfield and he places the ball nicely for Story, who is ball-side on Virgo, to hit the back of Kuipers’ net. icon_frown.gif

Our defence let us down at the wrong time, and I tell the players in the post-match briefing in the dressing room that they let themselves down by conceding the late equaliser. Not even the reduction of Torquay to ten men when a player is forced from the field with injury without a substitute being available could lift us to find the fifth goal of the game and it’s an opportunity lost to find a break on the sides below us.

Brighton (4-1-3-2): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Hinshelwood, Virgo, El-Abd; Nicolas; Smyth (Jarrett 33), Dawson, Jones; Knight, Murphy.

Torquay (4-4-2): Cole; Joy, Simpson, Abdul Kadir (Taylor 62), Walsh ©; Dolan, Holloway, Tonge (Story 72), Cumberworth (Gillston 62 (inj 87)); Kuffour, Bedeau.

Final score: Brighton 2:2 Torquay

MoM – Stephen Dawson

Unfortunately, neither Dawson nor Jones will be available for our next game against Bristol Rovers, as it is a replay of the second round in the FA Cup. At stake is a visit to Portman Road and a game against Ipswich in the third round.

As we continue to play the games, I’m beginning to understand the weaknesses in the squad. It’s not strong overall, and there is a distinct lack of depth past the first eleven. However, I think the left side of the first eleven – particularly the left midfield role (currently alternated between Mark Smyth, who was injured in the last game, and Albert Jarrett) – is just not up to the required standard of League One football. I’m also concerned that El-Abd doesn’t concentrate on his defensive duties throughout the entire 90 minutes, so a new right back is also on the cards, though this might be remedied when the new central defenders arrive at the club which would allow me to shift either Adam Hinshelwood or Adam Virgo to right back.

10th of December 2006

Bisgaard joins the Seagulls

Former Danish international Morten Bisgaard was today unveiled by Brighton chairman Mr Dick Knight and manager Senor Dixie Flatline as their latest acquisition. Brighton paid Derby County £3,000 for the versatile attacking midfielder who, at 32 years of age, revealed that he agreed the move in order to continue playing football professionally. Bisgaard said that the offer of playing regularly swayed his decision, as he turned down the offer of Kidderminster Harriers to drop down to League One. Senor Flatline said that Bisgaard’s experience, versatility and professionalism were vital assets to Brighton as the club looked to rebuild its squad. Bisgaard’s debut, however, may not be this Wednesday’s fixture against Bristol Rovers, as he is struggling to overcome a knee injury sustained while training with Derby County.

Very much a stop-gap measure, but his prowess to pass the ball and from set-pieces will be highly appreciated, I feel.

11th of December 2006

We suffer a set-back when central defender Adam Virgo twists a knee at training and will be out for a week, according to the club’s physios. But it’s better news for Stephen Dawson, as he is selected for the League One team of the week after his efforts in scoring one goal and setting up Knight’s goal in our draw against Torquay.

13th of December 2006

FA Cup – 2nd round replay: Bristol Rovers v Brighton

I take what I consider to be a League Two standard side to Bristol to replay our second round fixture in the FA Cup. The game, as can be expected given the low quality on display, is appalling to watch, and we’re forced to withstand some heavy pressure at times in order to keep ourselves in the match. Kuipers is a stand-out with his ability to make some miraculous saves. Gez Murphy opens his account for Brighton on 115 minutes and I think we might finally eke out a victory, but it’s not to be as the defence once more falls asleep thinking the job is done, and allowing McPhee to level the scores three minutes later and send the match to penalties. Apart from Murphy, I let Kuipers pick the penalty-takers and we do the job, but only just.

This inability to defend across an entire game is really concerning me.

Bristol Rovers (4-4-2): Wilkinson; Ryan, Elliott, Anderson (Hinton 72), Kenna; Trollope, Disley, Kinsella (Savage 60), Gibb; Agogo (McPhee 72), Walker ©.

Brighton (4-1-3-2): Kuipers ©; Mayo, P. Hinshelwood, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Nicolas (Khalil 90); Jarrett, Smyth (Jackson 65), Oatway; Knight (Molango 32), Murphy.

Final score: Bristol Rovers 1:1 Brighton

Brighton win 4-3 on penalties

MoM – Adam Hinshelwood

We’re awarded £16,000 for the victory, but it comes at a cost, as joining Virgo and Bisgaard in the physio’s room is Leon Knight, who twisted his knee somewhat severely in a challenge from a Bristol Rovers defender. Also sitting out the next game, but due to enforced lay-off rather than injury, are Alexis Nicolas and Maheta Molango, who both picked up their fifth yellow card of the season. Nicolas is in dire need of a rest, but the squad’s depth is so poor that I really can’t afford him to sit out any games, at the moment.

It’s little wonder with the injuries and suspensions that nineteenth-placed Tranmere Rovers is the bookies’ favourite for our game against them this coming weekend.

I’m beginning to think that I’ll be doing well if I can keep the club out of relegation, let alone pushing the club into a top half finish.

After the game, Duncan McLean tells me that he’s agreed terms with Hereford United and is leaving today. I wish him the best of luck at his new club and then proceed to advise the board that for the purpose of budgeting, his wages can now be removed. We pocket £23,000 of the £30,000 with £7,000 going to Shrewsbury, who sold him to us in the summer. I also negotiated a 30% sell-on clause with Hereford, so hopefully he will succeed at his new club and find his way up the football ladder. Duncan McLean (23 y/o, SCO, S C): 2(3) apps, av rating: 6.80

16th of December 2006

League One – Game 20: Tranmere Rovers v Brighton

I sit next to my assistant manager, Bob Booker, on the bus ride back to Brighton, with a relieved smile on my face.

“We caught a break, there, boss,†says Booker. “If it hadn’t been for Smyth’s drive being the last kick of the match, we would all have egg on our faces.â€

“Yep, Kuipers made that blunder which gifted Joachim the opening goal,†I responded. “But he played tremendously after that. He was inspired. And Smyth, well, I didn’t think he had it in him. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him drive the ball like that from 25 yards on the edge of the box past the keeper into the far corner. It was a great shot, but I don’t think I’ll be asking him to repeat it any time soon.â€

“Changing formation was a masterstroke, boss. Putting the emphasis on defence and asking Tranmere to unlock us. It could have invited trouble, but I think the way we did it is something to keep in our minds the next time we go travelling. Tranmere created a number of chances, but they never really looked like scoring after Joachim’s opening goal.â€

“Well,†I said. “We didn’t really have a lot of choice about the formation. You should know me by now, Bob. I like the 4-1-3-2 formation. But going with a 4-1-4-1 formation was really the only thing to do, what with Virgo, Booth, Knight and Murphy all injured, plus suspensions. By the way, do you know why Barry-Murphy was loaned to Aldershot by my predecessor? He seems to be a possible answer to our weakness on the left side of midfield?â€

“I think he said a few things to the boss that didn’t go down too well, boss,†said my assistant manager.

Later, back at the office, I was reviewing the tape of the game filmed by one of our scouts. We defended badly to concede the opening goal to Joachim, especially after I’d emphasised in the pre-game address the concept of defending for the full 90 minutes. That meant we were always going to play catch-up, and being down to my fourth and fifth-choice strikers meant that scoring goals was going to be difficult. Bisgaard was forced to play, as well, although he had only just resumed training and was far short of a gallop. Smyth’s goal was the difference between a point gained and all three points conceded. Ironically, it was Joachim who was at fault, as he completely misjudged the long throw and Smyth unhesitatingly slammed the ball past the Rovers’ keeper to save a point.

Tranmere Rovers (4-4-2): Shearer; Sadler © (Martin 60), Robertson, McFadzean, Taylor; Welsh (Ndah 71), Harrison, Jones, Joachim; Bridges, Zola (Shaw 71).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, P. Hinshelwood, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Oatway; Barry-Murphy, Dawson (Jackson 62), Jones (Khalil 86), Bisgaard; Robinson (Smyth 62).

Final score: Tranmere Rovers 1:1 Brighton

MoM – Adam Hinshelwood

18th of December 2006

The rebuilding of Brighton continues under new manager, Senor Dixie Flatline

Brighton and Hove Albion, still looking for their first victory under Senor Flatline, have announced that three more players will join the club when the international transfer window re-opens on 1 January 2007. Albanian international striker Elis Kraja will join the club from Atalanta. Subject to a work permit being granted, Brighton look set to capture experienced Ecuadorian international striker Agustin Delgado from El Nacional, while Lecce striker Giuseppe Cozzolini was join the club on 1 January 2007.

I’m being plenty of strikers at the moment, but I’m on the look-out for other players to strengthen the squad in all areas. Although the number of strikers will increase, I think (hopefully) by the end of the season, the number won’t be too different to what it is now, as I think the likes of Smyth, Robertson and Molango will no longer be playing for the club.

Exhausted with the rigours of trying to find suitable players for the club, I take a look at the highlights from the English Premier League, with a particular interest in how my former club is travelling. The news isn’t great for Owls supporters, with the club slipping into the relegation zone less than week before Christmas. For some unfathomable reason, Mr Allen is yet to appoint a manager, with the January transfer window opening in less than a fortnight, and my former assistant manager, Kevin Summerfield – after the high of thrashing Everton 4-1 at Hillsborough in the same week I joined Brighton – has taken just one point from three matches.

20th of December 2006

League One – Game 21: Brighton v Walsall

Another game against a club lower than us on the ladder presents the opportunity to secure our first win under my management of the club. I decide that, notwithstanding the return to full fitness of Gez Murphy, I’m still going to persist with the more defensive formation than I generally would use. I instruct my defensive midfielder, Charlie Oatway (in the side for the rested Alexis Nicolas), to sit back and screen the back four rather than let loose his attacking instincts, while I rely upon Murphy to plough a lone furrow, supported by Barry-Murphy and Bisgaard on the flanks.

We open the scoring on 41 minutes when a long throw-in from Kerry Mayo is only partially cleared by the Walsall defence. Gez Murphy, his back to goal, passes the ball back to Adam Hinshelwood, who quickly moves the ball right to Bisgaard. The Dane takes a few steps to steady himself, then lashes his first goal for Brighton past the Walsall keeper. icon_smile.gif

We easily maintain the lead until half-time, but four minutes past the restart, we concede the equaliser to Neil Emblen. Standing plays the corner short, then receives the ball back and puts a cross right over the penalty spot for Emblen to power a header past Kuipers. On the balance of the match, it was no more than Walsall deserved, and I’m still left looking for my first win of my career with Brighton.

I can’t wait until the new year.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, P. Hinshelwood, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Oatway; Barry-Murphy, Dawson, Jones, Bisgaard; Murphy (Robinson 75).

Walsall (3-5-2): A. Williams; Gray (Willetts 64), Bennett (Wright 64), Emblen; Taylor, Wellens, Wheeler, Standing ©, Norris (Marshall 71); L. Williams, Fryatt.

Final score: Brighton 1:1 Walsall

MoM – Adam Hinshelwood

So, after 21 games of the season, we’re currently sitting 17th in League One, on 24 points, four points clear of relegation. Wins, after three draws, are what is required.

I’m informed by the club’s lawyers that the Home Office has denied the application we made on behalf of Manchester United Brazilian defender Rincón for a work permit in order to finalise his move to Brighton. The lawyers advise me that they are pessimistic about the chances of an appeal from the decision, so I decide to inform Manchester United (I don’t have the opportunity to speak directly to Sir Alex) that the transfer, worth £160,000, has been cancelled. I will need to find another defender elsewhere.

23rd of December 2006

League One – Game 22: Brighton v Peterborough

Another opportunity to pick up three points against a side lower than us on the League One ladder, and thus to put some breathing space between us and a scrap against relegation. I maintain faith with the eleven players that started the game on the weekend against Walsall and I’m rewarded by a brighter performance as the players seem to adjust more easily to this formation than the 4-1-3-2 formation I generally prefer.

We open the scoring, in fact, on 35 minutes when on-loan midfielder David Fox finds Gez Murphy unmarked inside the Boro penalty box, and the former Nuneaton striker has no difficulty in lacing it past the Boro keeper.

But we hold the lead for only two minutes as the familiar refrain of vulnerable after scoring a goal hits us once more. Kuipers’ goal kick is picked off by Riccy Scimeca, who finds Coulson. The Boro player has no difficult finding a way past Adam Hinshelwood, who is mindful that he is inside his own penalty area, and forces a fine save from Kuipers. However, Rowan Vine is on hand to tuck away the rebound and tie the scores at 1-1 apiece heading in to the half-time interval.

We regain the lead on 65 minutes, however, when Oatway picks off a Boro foray and feeds the ball left to Barry-Murphy. The midfielder quickly feeds it through to Nicolas, and the Cypriot takes the ball forward before laying it off to Gez Murphy. Murphy nutmegs his marker and then dribbles in to a shooting position, before letting fly with another sizzling drive that leaves the Boro keeper without a chance to save. icon_smile.gif

Somehow, we manage to withstand some heavy Boro pressure and reach the final whistle with our lead intact. It’s happy days at the Withdean Stadium! icon_biggrin.gif

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, A. Hinshelwood, P. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Oatway; Barry-Murphy, Dawson (Nicolas 61), Jones (Smyth 76), Bisgaard; Murphy.

Peterborough (4-4-2): Steele; Craig, St Ledger, Arber, Scimeca ©; Coulson (Huke 60), McKenna, Boucaud (Deen 60), O’Leary (Gardner 65); Bates, Vine.

Final score: Brighton 2:1 Peterborough

MoM – Michel Kuipers

After the game, I note that one of my former players, Lee Peacock, has joined Swansea on a three-month loan deal. Peacock had been a useful player for me when the Owls were in League One, but his game time reduced as we climbed the football pyramid. I had earmarked him as a player to be sold during my time with the Owls in the Premier League, but couldn’t find anybody willing to purchase him outright. This was his second loan spell already this season, after a fairly useless time at Bristol City, the club he had left to join the Owls.

I was told by my physios that the Cypriot midfielder Alexis Nicolas was knackered so badly that he needed a long time away from football. This was a bad time to be so exhausted, with the traditional late-December fixture congestion, but it was clear from how badly he was labouring towards the end of today’s game that I had to treat him as though he was recovering from injury, rather than just the usual tiredness post-match.

25th of December 2006

Merry Christmas. The Bolton manager who went up to the Premier League with me, Gianluca Vialli, is today unveiled as Newcastle United’s latest manager after the club had dispensed with the services of Graeme Souness earlier in the month. I can’t help but be bemused by the diverging career paths we had suddenly found ourselves walking.

26th of December 2006

League One – Game 23: Doncaster v Brighton

This will be a stern test, as we’re travelling to face a club higher than us in the league. Doncaster goes in to today’s game sitting eleventh on the League One ladder, while our win over Peterborough lifts us to 16th on the ladder.

It appears, however, that my players are adapting to my new formation of 4-1-4-1 (a variant, it has to be said, of 4-4-2) much easier than my preferred formation of 4-1-3-2, and we open the scoring inside the first ten minutes. Stephen Dawson lays the ball off for Gez Murphy right on the edge of the Doncaster penalty area. Murphy takes a few steps to steady himself then unleashes a powerful drive that is partially parried by the Doncaster keeper. The ball flies up into the air, allowing Murphy the time to run on and tap in the rebound before the Doncaster defenders could clear or the keeper recover. icon_smile.gif

However, our defensive frailties are exposed on 17 minutes when Paul Hinshelwood, still deputising for the recovered but unfit Adam Virgo, is exposed by Greg Blundell, who bursts his way through and nods Cooper’s cross into the back of Kuipers’ net. icon_frown.gif But the complexion of the game changes on the stroke of half-time when Doncaster has a man sent off for two yellow cards in the space of 15 seconds. Paul Green was shown a yellow card for tugging on Barry-Murphy, but stupidly he decided that he would attack the referee verbally. The referee rightly sent off Green and suddenly we had the man advantage. The half-time break was used to persuade the players that now they had the opportunity to secure valuable three points on the road, and I expected to see them create and take the chances in the second half.

David Jones was the man to deliver. Substitute Mark Smyth races clear down the left-hand channel before turning the ball in with a neat cross where Jones is steaming in towards the Doncaster goal. Seeing the barest chink of space between the Doncaster keeper and the post, he squeezes off a shot that finds the space and we have the lead on 89 minutes. The referee plays just over four minutes of injury time, then calls full-time on the game, giving us our second straight victory. icon_biggrin.gif

To be truthful, it was no more than we deserved, as we had the majority of the play and created most of the chances. With new players arriving in January, suddenly I’m feeling hopeful about things.

Doncaster (4-2-4): Hirschfield; Ryan, Foster ©, Fenton (Ravenhill 61), Mulligan (Maloney 61); P. Green (s/o 45), S. Green; Cooper, Roberts, Blundell, Youngs.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, P. Hinshelwood, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Oatway; Barry-Murphy (Smyth 72), Dawson, Jones, Bisgaard; Murphy (Robinson 72).

Final score: Doncaster 1:2 Brighton

MoM – Stephen Dawson

The victory over the Rovers lifts us another spot on the League One ladder, to fifteenth out of 24 sides. Crucially, we’ve opened up a bit of a buffer on the relegation zone, being 10 points clear of 21st-placed Walsall. Interestingly, on 30 points for the season, we’re only 8 points behind the last promotion playoff zone. Is it too much to dream? A match against 13th-placed Swansea in four days’ time will test us.

28th of December 2006

Bad news for on-loan midfielder David Jones. I’m advised by my physios that he twisted his knee in training and is out for up to a week. He is a definite omission from our game against Swansea in 48 hours.

30th of December 2006

League One – Game 24: Swansea v Brighton

Our second trip away from Withdean Stadium in the space of four days takes us to sunny Wales and a match against Lee Peacock’s new club. I spoke to Lee prior to the game about the possibility of spending a little bit of time together after the match (making it clear I was not intending to sign him for Brighton) and he readily agreed.

In team news, losing Jones for a week meant that I had to reshuffle my players around to keep the formation which seemed to be working. I shifted Bisgaard in to the centre of midfield, along-side Stephen Dawson, while El-Abd moved from right-back to right-midfield. Adam Virgo, fit again after a prolonged absence, filled in at right-back, with the Hinshelwood brothers maintaining their central defensive partnership for at least another game.

We earn a corner within the first minute of the game, and Bisgaard’s cross is cleared but comes back to the Dane, who pops it up for Murphy to head towards goal. I hold my breath, but it sails over the bar. That would have been a good start! A mistake by the rusty Adam Virgo, however, on 24 minutes gifts possession to Lee Trundle, who forces a fine save from Kuipers. Before Peacock can pounce, Mayo lifts the ball in to the grandstand. On 38 minutes, Trundle and Peacock combine to set up Alfred Schreuder from distance, but the experienced Dutch midfielder’s tame shot is easily collected by Kuipers. In stoppage time at the end of the first half, Paul Hinshelwood finds El-Abd marauding down the right channel, and the midfielder reaches the by-line before cutting back to penalty box where Murphy hits a first-time shot that forces a brilliant save from Hilton, the Swansea goalkeeper. It’s an encouraging way to end the first half.

My team-talk at half-time emphasises the positives in our game and I end it with an exhortation to find the opening goal. However, Swansea dominates the early stanzas of the second period and Schreuder forces another save out of Kuipers on 68 minutes. Noticing that Murphy is labouring up front by himself, while Adam Hinshelwood has been below par for the game so far, I introduce Leon Knight for Murphy and bring on Ross Jackson to go in to the midfield, allowing El-Abd to go back to right-back and Virgo to partner Paul Hinshelwood in defence. Inside the last ten minutes of the game, and I thought we would concede the goal when Dawson’s misplaced pass is picked off, allowing Connor to roam free through the middle. With Kuipers seemingly out of position, it takes a superb last-ditch tackle from El-Abd to save the day and rescue the situation for us.

But the killer blow arrives only a moment later when from a free kick blown for Knight’s offside call, Connor is able to dance past Paul Hinshelwood and spotting the gap between keeper and post, slides the ball in to the back of our net. icon_frown.gif Swansea easily holds on to their lead for the remainder of the game, and we lose by that solitary goal.

Swansea (4-1-3-2): Hilton; Anderson, Purse ©, O’Leary, Jones; Schreuder; Martínez, Canoville (Britton 61), Nowland (Tate 61); Trundle, Peacock (Connor 72).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, P. Hinshelwood, A. Hinshelwood (Jackson 70), Virgo; Oatway; Barry-Murphy, Dawson, Bisgaard, El-Abd; Murphy (Knight 70).

Final score: Swansea 1:0 Brighton

MoM – Lee Trundle

The loss drops us back down to 16th on the ladder with 24 games played.

As promised, I catch up briefly with Lee Peacock after the game. He tells me that morale at the Owls is low overall at the moment. The club still hasn’t hired a manager to replace me, and the fans and players are becoming restless. He says that he’s happy to be away from the club, playing regular football.

1st of January 2007

Stephen Dawson is judged the League One Player of the Month for December 2006, which is a good reward for his fine work last month.

There is a brief meeting of the Board early in the morning to discuss things. The upshot is that the directors, led by Chairman, Mr Dick Knight, look forward to a long and successful era under my management.

The international transfer window opens today, and the club completes the transfers I organised during the month of December. The Home Office grants the work permit to Agustín Delgado in the morning, and he is in Brighton to join his new teammates. Joining Delgado at the club are defenders Regillio Vrede and Ãlvarez and strikers Elis Kraja and Guiseppe Cozzolino.

After I organise the club to show the new players to their lockers and giving them their new numbers, I beckon to my assistant, Bob Booker, to join me in the manager’s office. Shutting the door behind him, I say to Bob, “Well, it’s been a long month to see these players arrive, but I think they are going to be good for the club. Especially Delgado. I think he’ll do really well in this division.â€

“Yep, boss, Delgado looks to be a great player, even though he’s now 32 years old. Vrede and Ãlvarez should provide some steel in the defence. It would be nice if we could find a midfielder or two to add some depth there.â€

“Well, I’m working on that Bob. But I wanted to run something by you.†I sit down in my chair and take a sip of my takeaway coffee. Bob chooses his tea and sits down opposite me. He says, “Okay, shoot.â€

“It’s about Leon Knight. The chairman told me when I was appointed manager that the wage budget for the club is just shy of £20,000 per week, and the new players we have joining us today has pushed us a long way over that. I’m sure that Dick will tell me that he’s restricting wages for incoming players until I clear out some of the players here. And Leon Knight takes up a fifth of the wage budget by himself. He’s a good player, but for a striker, he doesn’t score enough goals and I think, in the long term, both he and the club would be better off if he went to another team. In short, I’m thinking of transfer-listing him and cashing in on him.â€

Bob looks surprised. He says, “Well, you’re right. Leon is one of the best players at this club, and I don’t think he’s been played right by the former manager. I’m sure if you give him an extended run in the first team, he’ll score the goals.â€

“Bob, I didn’t buy three new strikers to see them sit on the side-lines. Gez Murphy has done a good job for us, but he’s in the form of his career, and I don’t think he can get much better than he already has. Robinson’s head is on the chopping block. In fact, I’m going to transfer-list him today. Molango is on his way out of the club as soon as he negotiates terms with either Southend or Barnet, who are both interested in him. Knight is going to find himself down on the depth charts, especially if Delgado performs as well as he should.â€

Bob’s surprised look is replaced with one of concern. “Knight is a favourite with the fans. They won’t be pleased to see him put on the list and sold.â€

I say, “You should know me by now, Bob. The club’s supporters will be more interested in seeing results and this club rising up the ladder in the next season or two than seeing us hold on to a player who is good, but not the best at what he does. Really, I’m only discussing this with you because I wanted to give you a heads-up in the event the board asks you whether you supported the decision.â€

Bob shakes his head. “Fine. I’ll give you the support you want, but I think this could be a mistake.â€

“If so, I’ll take responsibility for it. In the meantime, it’s my name on the manager’s door, and I’m going to do things my way.â€

I then proceed to tell Bob to nominate clubs which he thinks might like an approach with respect to selling Leon Knight. I put a valuation of £1 million on Knight’s head, which meets his minimum release clause. Then I tell Knight that I’ve decided to offer him to clubs to see which might like to purchase him. As some of the clubs Bob will approach are in the Championship, he takes the news quite well, hopeful that he’ll have the opportunity to ply his trade at a higher level than a lower-midtable side in League One.

I also inform Jake Robinson that I’ve decided to transfer-list him. He takes the news less well than his colleague, but I paint the picture of Robinson being fifth- or sixth-choice striker at the club, with the club currently adopting a sole striker formation, he could see the sense in finding employment elsewhere.

After all that, it’s time to retreat back to my now-vacant office and pick a first eleven and five substitutes for today’s afternoon fixture at home to Bournemouth. Given the physical state of some of the players that have been playing constantly for the past month, notwithstanding the fact that the new players have yet to have a training session, I decide to give Delgado, Vrede, and Ãlvarez their debuts from the start, with Cozzolino on the bench. Gez Murphy had quietly picked up an injury so he wasn’t fit, which made things easier for me.

League One – Game 25: Brighton v Bournemouth

Delgado brace fires Brighton to victory

Agustín Delgado made a memorable debut for Brighton this afternoon as his goals took Brighton to their third victory in four games over the Christmas-New Year’s period. The powerful Ecuadorian striker only arrived in Brighton this morning, after the Home Office approved his application for a work permit, but he took no time at all in making an impression upon the 6,000-strong crowd in Withdean Stadium.

The first goal arrived on 29 minutes, when El-Abd picked off a long ball out of the Bournemouth defence and flicked it forward to Bisgaard. The Danish midfielder sent the ball inside to Stephen Dawson, and the on-loan midfielder played a lovely weighted ball in to the path of Delgado, who had no compunction in sending the ball in to the back of the Bournemouth net.

Five minutes after half-time, and Delgado made it 2-0 to Brighton when Oatway curled a free kick into the Ecuadorian’s path and he sizzled a drive into the bottom far corner of the Bournemouth net. Bournemouth pulled a goal back on 59 minutes when Hayter scored a total fluke of a goal with his head after a cross from Stephen Purches, but while Bournemouth created opportunities to equalise, Delgado perhaps should have had his hat-trick on debut for Brighton, but for some smart goalkeeping by Neil Moss and some wayward finishing from the Ecuadorian.

When Delgado was finally substituted by Senor Flatline in injury time at the end of the game, to waste a few seconds, he deserved and was given a standing ovation by the Brighton supporters who will long talk about the day they saw Agustín Delgado make his debut for Brighton.

A tremendous debut indeed from Delgado, and it underlines my thoughts that the club needed to find some strikers who could score goals. The defence needs some work, but the debuts of Vrede, Ãlvarez and, of course, Delgado, were all first-class. Happy days, indeed.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, P. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Barry-Murphy, Dawson (Smyth 66), Oatway, Bisgaard (Virgo 90); Delgado (Cozzolino 90).

Bournemouth (4-4-2): Moss; Cummings, Tindall, Maher, Purches (Hubbard 70); O’Connor, Humphreys ©, Stock (Spicer 58), Harvey; Hayter, Allen (Rodrigues 45).

Final score: Brighton 2:1 Bournemouth

MoM – Agustín Delgado

The victory lifts us to thirteenth position on the ladder, twelve points clear of relegation and seven points behind the play-off zone.

After the hectic schedule of December 2006, it’s almost a relief to realise that we have several days before we travel to Portman Road to play Ipswich in the third round of the FA Cup. Ipswich are mid-table in the Championship, so they will deserve to go in to the fixture as favourite, but this is a knock-out cup competition and upsets do happen. However, the squad will again be a bit threadbare, with El-Abd suspended due to picking up his fifth booking of the season against Bournemouth, Booth still out injured, and Dawson and Jones (still injured) constrained by the terms of their loan deals from playing in a cup competition. Furthermore, Barry-Murphy played in the FA Cup for Aldershot when he was on loan, so he is cup-tied.

That's all for now. I'll be back soon with more from the Withdean Stadium.

However, I should warn you that my wife and I are less than seven weeks away from greeting our second child, so things could become very sporadic in February next year!

I hope you enjoy this, my first story in more than 18 months. icon_smile.gif

Thanks Peacemaker7.

I've been drawn back by the quality of the story-telling on this board over the last few months. I won't name names, but it's fairly obvious who I'm talking about. Reading their stories has motivated me to start writing my own. The trouble was, I didn't want to abandon my save-game but I couldn't be bothered going back two seasons to piece together what had happened! Hopefully it comes through okay.

6th of January 2007

I make two small sales, with left-sided midfielder Albert Jarrett joining Northampton Town for £5,000 plus 20% sell-on clause and central midfielder Tareq Khalil agrees to a £4,000 move to Farnborough. Albert Jarrett (22 y/o, ENG, M L): 30(14) apps, 3 goals, 4 assists, av rating: 6.91. Tareq Khalil (18 y/o, ENG, M C): 2(3) apps, av rating: 6.60

Nottingham Forest attacking midfielder James Beaumont agrees to join Brighton on loan for three months. I’ve been impressed with his passing ability and I think he will have an important role to play between now and the time he returns to Forest. Fortunately, his paperwork is registered with the FA by the time kick-off rolls around for our match against Ipswich in the third round, so he is quickly handed a kit and told to get ready for the match. Welcome to life in League One.

FA Cup – third round: Ipswich v Brighton

We begin the game quite brightly, with Delgado going close to opening the scoring, but the day belongs to Jay Bothroyd, whose hat-trick seals Ipswich’s passage through to the fourth round and condemns us to defeat. On 38 minutes, Vrede clears the ball of Kuqi’s toe, but the clearance lands in the path of Johnnie Jackson and the former Spurs winger finds Bothroyd with a modicum of space on Virgo. Before my defender can react, Bothroyd has the ball in the back of Kuipers’ net. icon_frown.gif He doubles the dose on 44 minutes when Vrede again clears the ball away from Kuqi, only to see it end up with Bothroyd. Kuipers is guilty of being out of position as Bothroyd hammers the ball into the net to make it 2-0 at half-time.

During the break, I concede privately that the tie is probably lost, so I choose to withdraw the limping Adam Hinshelwood and Agustín Delgado, bringing on Paul Hinshelwood and Guiseppe Cozzolino for the second half. Cozzolino could have made it 2-1 early in the second but a fine save from the Ipswich keeper preserves the score-line as it appears. Bothroyd then secures his hat-trick on 55 minutes when Vrede deflects Kuqi’s shot in to Bothroyd’s path and he has an empty net to hit with Kuipers already committed to the shot that never arrived. Poor Vrede, who is absolutely gutted that everything he has done has turned in to goals for Ipswich, notwithstanding that he’s done nothing wrong.

With the tie finished, we look a little brighter and a minute out from stoppage time, Mark Smyth secures a consolation goal with a fine finish, and almost tees up Cozzolini for an undeserved second goal. However, the game illustrates to me the gulf in class between a mid-table League One outfit and a mid-table Championship club.

Ipswich (3-5-2): Davis; De Vos, Bramble, Naylor; Jackson (Richards 78), Beveridge, Horlock, Miller, Peters (Atay 68); Bothroyd (Hammond 68), Kuqi ©.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, A. Hinshelwood (P. Hinshelwood 45), Virgo; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Beaumont (Nicolas 81), Oatway, Bisgaard; Delgado (Cozzolino 45).

Final score: Ipswich 3:1 Brighton

MoM – Jay Bothroyd

8th of January 2007

Regillio Vrede and Agustín Delgado are selected in the League One Team of the Week for their performance against Bournemouth on New Years Day.

I’m informed by Molango’s agent that the striker has agreed to terms with Barnet. I thank Molango, via his agent, for the services rendered to Brighton and confirm the transfer to proceed promptly. Brighton will receive £10,000 from the transfer. Maheta Molango (24 y/o, CON, S C): 7(20) apps, 3 goals, av rating: 6.97

10th of January 2007

League One – Game 26: Oxford v Brighton

Superb Brighton performance pleases chairman Dick Knight

Brighton chairman, Mr Dick Knight, today hailed Brighton’s 3-0 win over Oxford as a ‘superb’ victory, and observers agreed that it was Brighton’s best performance under new manager, Senor Flatline.

Ecuadorian striker Agustín Delgado continued his rich vein of form, finding the net twice and earning a penalty converted by defender Regillio Vrede for his first goal in Brighton colours as Oxford found they had no answer to the powerful forward. On 8 minutes, Delgado knocked down Barry-Murphy’s long ball to Smyth, who took it down the left-hand channel before turning the ball in for Delgado to take past Sodje and then finding the back of the net from an acute angle. Five minutes from half-time, Ãlvarez broke up an Oxford sortie before spraying the ball to the right side of Brighton’s midfield, where Bisgaard was free to take the ball into Oxford territory. Looking up, Bisgaard spotted the run of Delgado and found the perfect through-ball for Delgado to reach and stroke past the Oxford keeper. Ten minutes into the second half, and Delgado won a penalty when the referee considered that McShane had fouled the Ecuadorian in the penalty box. Vrede stepped up and made no mistake from the spot.

That is the best performance Brighton has put in under my watch and it is a great way to bounce back after being outclassed by Ipswich. Delgado has made a tremendous difference since joining the club only ten days ago, while Vrede and Ãlvarez have also done a stirling job. Cozzolini worked hard coming off the bench, but he is not quite in Delgado’s class. I liked the look of James Beaumont in midfield today, until he was affected by a knock.

Oxford (4-3-3): Howard; Woozley ©, Quinn, Sodje, McShane; Smylie (Wilson 55), Davis, Sam (Horrocks 69); Wolleaston, Slabber, Basham (Brooks 69).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, Virgo, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth (Mayo 69), Beaumont (Oatway 45), Dawson, Bisgaard; Delgado (Cozzolino 69).

Final score: Oxford 0:3 Brighton

MoM – Agustín Delgado

The victory lifts us into thirteenth position and we’re just five points behind the play-off zone. Is it too much to hope? Well, we’ll find out in our next game, when we play high-flying Blackpool, who is looking to break into the top two.

After the game, I confirm the transfer of Jake Robinson to Southend for a deal worth £24,000 in total, plus a 40% sell-on clause. Robinson had agreed terms with Southend, turning down Bradford City’s offer, which would have netted us £35,000 had it gone through.

12th of January 2007

A former adversary, Colin Hendry, extends the olive branch of friendship in a pre-match interview, telling the press that he thinks that I am a good manager and that the Seagulls deserve every success under my guidance. I take this as a complement and respond in kind.

I also tie up a new recruit for the club’s coaching department. Australian coach Peter Taylor was looking for his first break, and I believe that he is a step-up on many of the current coaches, so I’m glad that he agrees to come on board.

13th of January 2007

League One – Game 27: Brighton v Blackpool

With some of my preferred first team players feeling a little tired and sore after recent exertions, I make some changes to the playing squad of 16, in order to keep things fresh. I bring Adam Hinshelwood in to replace Adam Virgo to partner Regillio Vrede in the centre of defence, while Kerry Mayo takes over left-back from Brian Barry-Murphy. I drop Oatway and Cozzolino from the squad (sending Cozzolino to the reserves to try to gain some match fitness), bringing in David Jones and Gez Murphy to the squad.

We create our first opening on six minutes when Cutler’s goal-kick is nodded by El-Abd in to the path of Morten Bisgaard, who dribbles down the right channel before pulling the trigger. Cutler parries the shot and the ball is knocked behind for a corner by the Blackpool defence. Whitaker then shoots over Kuipers’ bar on 10 minutes. On the half-hour mark, Smyth races clear down the left channel before cutting inside and letting fly, but his shot drifts wide of the mark. Eight minutes later, Delgado blasts over the bar after doing all the hard work in fashioning the shooting chance, with the assistance from James Beaumont. A moment later, Kuipers pulls off a great save to deny Grabovac, but then a fine move culminates in Smyth drawing a top-draw save from Cutler, at the price of a corner. From the corner, Delgado’s header is tipped over by Cutler to preserve the blank score-line at half-time.

Four minutes after half-time, with my half-time team talk still resonating in the ears of my players, Brighton puts together a terrific move, involving Smyth, Dawson, Beaumont and Delgado, which culminates in Delgado shooting in to the back of the net! icon_biggrin.gif A few moments later, Delgado shoots over the bar. We then proceed to double our lead on 64 minutes when Delgado finds Bisgaard steaming down the right channel. The Dane crosses in to the box where Beaumont has taken up station near the penalty spot, and from point-blank range, the midfielder cannot miss with his header. We celebrate his first goal for the club and the sealing goal of the game. Blackpool mount one more fairly feeble attack upon Kuipers’ goal, but we hold firm to record our second clean sheet in as many games, and our fourth win in five league matches. icon14.gif

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Beaumont (Barry-Murphy 82), Dawson (Jones 61), Bisgaard; Delgado (Murphy 71).

Blackpool (4-4-2): Cutler; Williams (Parle 73), Day, Whitbread, McGregor; Hills, Whitaker, Whitley, Bullock ©; Grabovac (Blinkhorn 64), Connell (Shaw 64).

Final score: Brighton 2:0 Blackpool

MoM – Morten Bisgaard

El-Abd wants an improved contract

Brighton full-back Adam El-Abd has told The Argus exclusively that he wants a new and improved contract from Brighton else he will reluctantly explore other options. The right back has played an important role for Brighton so far this season, and he believes that his current deal does not adequately reflect his worth to the team. He has now put the pressure on the club to come up with an acceptable contract else risk the defender seeking to leave the club in the near future.

I’ve already had informal discussions with Adam’s agent about an improved contract, as he has pleasantly surprised me over the last six weeks about the quality of his play, so I’m disappointed to see him take his grievances public. We’ll sit on the new and improved contract for a while to see him sweat.

On a brighter note, our victory had pushed us into twelfth place on the League One ladder, just four points behind sixth-placed Wycombe and a place in the playoffs. We are also a comfortable 16 points clear of the relegation zone.

15th of January 2007

Adam Virgo and Morten Bisgaard are both selected in the League One Team of the Week.

20th of January 2007

League One – Game 28: Stockport v Brighton

Delgado hat-trick seals big win for the Seagulls

Agustín Delgado continued establishing himself as a firm favourite with the Seagulls’ fans after bagging a hat-trick to help Brighton sink Stockport 4-1 at Edgeley Park. The Ecuadorian international striker opened his account on 8 minutes when James Beaumont found Bisgaard advancing down the right channel, who crossed in to the box where Delgado was lurking with intent. From point-blank range, Delgado couldn’t miss. He scored his second goal on 57 minutes when Virgo picked off the Stockport goalkeeper’s clearance and put in to the path of the Ecuadorian. Delgado skipped past a last despairing tackle and slid the ball between the keeper’s legs.

Stockport pulled a goal back on 63 minutes when Lyons outjumped the hampered Mayo to head home the long throw. However, that only served to spark Brighton in to action once more, and Delgado completed his hat-trick after tapping in the rebound from Beaumont’s fierce drive. The on-loan midfielder scored a goal for himself to make it 4-1 at the final whistle when he took Smyth’s cross on the bounce and buried it past Colgan on 72 minutes.

Well, that was a tremendous result and justifies the money I spent on bringing Delgado to the club. He has caused havoc so far in League One, and the hat-trick brings his tally to eight goals on just four league games. The confidence he displayed when he first arrived at the club less than a month ago that he would succeed at this level does not seem to be misplaced at all, and he is driving our push towards a playoff position, which seemed so unlikely a month ago.

Stockport (3-5-2): Colgan; Hardiker (Caulfield 57), Griffin ©, Williams; Reilly (Adams 57), Allen, Roberts (Armstrong 63), Best, Jackman; Feeney, Lyons.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo (Barry-Murphy 63), Vrede, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Beaumont, Dawson (Jones 45), Bisgaard; Delgado.

Final score: Stockport 1:4 Brighton

MoM – Agustín Delgado

After the game, I’m sent a message of congratulations from the Chairman of the club, Mr Dick Knight, on the magnitude of the result. The victory lifts us to tenth on the League One ladder, only two points from the playoff zone and seven points from second place, and the automatic promotion place. Hull is streets ahead of the competition, with 62 points from 27 games, but Millwall (albeit with two games in hand), in second place, has 49 points from 26 games, compared to our 42 points from 28 games.

22nd of January 2007

Kuipers, Bisgaard, Beaumont and Delgado are all named in the League One Team of the Week.

23rd of January 2007

League One – Game 29: Brighton v Bradford City

Eighteen minute triple salvo condemns Bradford to defeat

Three goals in the space of 18 minutes to Regillio Vrede, Stephen Dawson and James Beaumont condemned last-placed Bradford City to yet another defeat in a miserable League One campaign.

Brighton dominated the game from start to finish and the victory, plus the magnitude, were just reward for a side that has now won five League One games on the trot, and has won six of its last seven league fixtures. Further, Brighton achieved the win without having a recognised striker on the pitch, after Agustín Delgado and substitute Gez Murphy were forced from the field with injuries. Scans later revealed both injuries to be minor and both should be in contention for Brighton’s next match on Saturday, 27th of January 2007.

After a scoreless first half, Brighton upped the tempo in order to break down Bradford’s ultra-defensive formation, and they were rewarded when George Robinson tripped Mark Smyth inside the penalty box. Vrede stepped up confidently and converted the spot kick past the Bradford keeper on 72 minutes. Then two goals in the space of a minute delivered the knock-out punch. First, on 89 minutes, Dawson converted Bisgaard’s cross from distance, knocking in the shot from about 30 yards. A moment later, and Bisgaard’s next cross found the head of Beaumont, who caressed it gently in to the back of the Bradford net.

Sometimes, football really is a simple match.

I was concerned when Delgado went off early in the match, to be followed by Murphy in the second half. We had struggled to break down a determined Bradford defence in the first half, and without our talismanic striker on the pitch, it was up to Murphy to lead the lines. He wasn’t involved in the opening goal, and I felt that when he went off due to his injury, we would struggle to add to the single goal. But my pair of on-loan midfielders stepped up and delivered with some great football, marking both of them out as future talents.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, Virgo, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Beaumont, Dawson, Bisgaard; Delgado (Murphy 24 (Jones 80)).

Bradford City (4-4-2): Robinson; Emanuel, Bower, Wetherall ©, Wright; Morrison (Bailey 67), Penford, Schumacher, Muirhead (Crooks 54); Forrest, Cooke (Clifford 67).

Final score: Brighton 3:0 Bradford City

MoM – Mark Smyth

I’m again sent an SMS by the Chairman, Mr Dick Knight, congratulating me on the team’s performance against the Bantams. But I’m more concerned about the fitness of my two strikers, Delgado and Murphy. The physios take their time in examining both players, but I’m advised shortly thereafter that Delgado suffered a bruised rib and Murphy fell victim to a dead leg, which means that, taking it easy during the week, they should be fit for the next match in four days’ time against Oldham Athletic.

My assistant manager, Bob Booker, then completes the happy news by informing me that, provisionally, we’re in sixth position and thus in the playoff zone. However, we’ve played at least one more game than many of the clubs who could overtake us, so our position is perhaps inflated for the time being. Nevertheless, it remains a good motivating factor for the players to continue this fine run of form.

24th of January 2007

Delgado past his best

Agustín Delgado, the Ecuadorian international striker, is past his best and Brighton manager, Senor Flatline, would do well to dispense with his services. He’s 32 years old, he’s injury prone, he is a waste of money.

I couldn’t read any more. It’s preposterous. Delgado had scored eight goals in four League One appearances prior to being injured early in our match against Bradford and I’m sure he would have played a significant role in our victory had he managed to remain on the pitch for the full 90 minutes. Further, it was a freakish injury that could have happened to any player. I told the player that he was very much in my plans and, assuming that he was fit enough to take his place, he would start the game against Oldham, where he had the opportunity to silence his unfounded critics.

25th of January 2007

It looked like I would need to be resigned to losing Stephen Dawson back to Leicester City after Leicester’s manager, Craig Levein, rebuffed two attempts to extend Dawson’s loan past the 29th of January 2007. It would be a blow to lose the young, cultured midfielder who had done well in the league. Leicester was looking to develop the 21 year old through experience in the lower leagues with as many clubs as possible, and having Dawson stay with any one club for more than three months was not on Levein’s agenda. To be utterly truthful, in my opinion, Dawson lacks more than a yard of pace to be truly successful at top-flight football, but he is a more than decent player with a great personality. It was a joy to work with him, even if it was only for a short period of time.

Levein had an ulterior motive for telephoning me directly to tell me that he was rejecting my offer to loan Dawson from his club for a further three months. He wanted to make an offer for Adam Virgo, my central defender. My predecessor had valued Virgo at £625,000, which was more than three times what the club internally valued the defender. Levein had offered £325,000 up-front, plus a 20% sell-on clause and an agreement to play a friendly at Withdean Stadium in the summer.

It was a tempting offer, but taking into consideration that on the season, we were well in the black (given the sale by my predecessor of Andy Kirk for more than £1 million) and I am light on in depth for defenders, I raised the stakes with Levein, asking for £500,000 up-front, a 25% sell-on clause and the friendly. Levein said he would consider the deal and get back to me with his answer.

I broke the news to Virgo and he took it well, but understood that there was plenty of water to go under the bridge before he could even meet with Leicester.

My attempts at off-loading Leon Knight were also faltering, as many of the clubs Bob Booker approached on my behalf said either that Knight was no better than players in the club’s squad, the club wasn’t looking to reinforce that area, or the deal offered wasn’t ‘value for money’. I suspect that the high wages Knight was commanding was a big stumbling block, as I believed the deal offered for the striker was more than fair. So, for the moment, Knight remained a Brighton player, but not a particularly active one.

My enquiry of Barnsley over the potential transfer of attacking midfielder Marc Bridge-Wilkinson was met with a stern response that Bridge-Wilkinson was staying at Oakwell for the foreseeable future. But I don’t believe in negative answers when it comes to a player I admire, and I made an offer of £250,000 for the player, some £70,000 more than what I was advised by my scouts was Bridge-Wilkinson’s true value. I knew that this was hardly going to be accepted by Barnsley, but it was the opening gambit in negotiations which I hope would culminate in the cultured midfielder moving to Withdean Stadium before the transfer window closed. Barnsley was one place above us, in fifth place, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Barnsley fight tooth and nail to keep Bridge-Wilkinson at the club.

27th of January 2007

My request of Manchester United to extend David Jones’ loan for a further three months is met with receptive ears and now it’s up to the player to agree to stay at Brighton until at least April 2007. I make one last-ditch attempt to convince Craig Levein to change his mind, throwing in a fee of £20,000, in order to extend Dawson’s loan, but I fear that today’s game against Oldham Athletic will be the midfielder’s final game for Brighton (unless we buy him in the future which is unlikely).

As predicted, an offer for Bridge-Wilkinson is rejected. I then propose £250,000 plus £250,000 after promotion.

League One – Game 30: Oldham Athletic v Brighton

Delgado brace fires Brighton past Oldham

Ecuadorian international striker Agustín Delgado answered his critics in emphatic fashion, scoring twice as Brighton scored a 3-0 win over Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park before just under 7,500 spectators. In truth, Delgado could have had as many as five goals had all his goal-bound shots succeeded. He kept Oldham keeper Michael Ingham, as he opened the scoring on 26 minutes when he took possession from Beaumont’s pass about 35 yards from goal, skipped past the Oldham defender and then coolly rolled the ball into the net with Ingham powerless to prevent the goal. Ingham was forced to pull off a number of smart saves to preserve Oldham’s position in the contest, but Delgado’s second goal on 69 minutes effectively ended the contest. Virgo stripped Oldham of the ball and fed it left to Beaumont who knocked a simple pass forward to Delgado. The striker lashed the ball past the hapless Ingham to make it 2-0 and game over. Delgado was then substituted by Senor Flatline and his replacement, Leon Knight, making a surprise appearance, bagged Brighton’s third goal when Ingham failed to boldly collect Barry-Murphy’s free kick, allowing Knight to tap the ball between Ingham’s legs in injury time at the end of the match.

That was a fine way to answer the critics. I’m very pleased with this result.

Oldham Athletic (4-4-2): Ingham; Griffin, Branston, Haining, Holden ©; Hampson (R. Hughes 69), M. Hughes, Woods (Eyre 61), Betsy; Howard (Ingram 61 (inj 73)), Johnson.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, Virgo, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Beaumont, Dawson (Jones 64), Bisgaard; Delgado (Knight 80).

Final score: Oldham Athletic 0:3 Brighton

MoM – James Beaumont

James Beaumont rated a perfect ‘10’ by the observers writing for The Argus and his run of form since joining the club on loan from Nottingham Forest has been nothing short of extraordinary. Although his loan has more than two months to run, I decide to take the plunge and offer Forest their asking price of £220,000 to bring the midfielder with sublime passing skills to Brighton on a permanent basis.

The victory lifts us another spot on the League One ladder, to fifth overall.

Brighton gunning for the Title?

Could Brighton be the dark-horse challenger to Hull’s claim for the League One title?

Senor Flatline was appointed manager of Brighton on 25th of November 2006. After a shaky start, Brighton under Senor Flatline has now won six straight League One matches, and has 21 points from a possible 24 after losing one match in the last eight League One fixtures. A club tipped pre-season for a mid-table finish could yet make a charge to claim the championship, but as always, only time will tell…

It’s nice to read such press, but I hope that that it doesn’t over-inflate the egos of the players involved or the expectations of the fans. To be truthful, I’d be happy to see us finish second and claim the runners-up spot with the automatic promotion place as Hull is miles in front. To be more realistic, I think a spot in the playoffs will be just reward, if we can keep this run of form up over the next couple of months. With the number of delayed fixtures, many teams around us have at least one, if not two or sometimes three games in hand, so the ladder may be a little misleading currently:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst GF GA GD Pts

---------------------------------------------------------------

1st Hull 28 20 2 6 49 19 +30 62

2nd Millwall 27 14 8 5 57 28 +29 50

3rd Burnley 30 12 14 4 30 20 +10 50

4th Blackpool 29 14 7 8 38 23 +15 49

5th Brighton 30 13 9 8 44 28 +16 48

6th Wycombe 30 13 8 9 47 34 +13 47

7th Barnsley 29 13 8 8 40 31 +9 47

8th B'mouth 29 13 7 9 46 33 +13 46

9th Swansea 28 13 5 10 39 32 +7 44

10th H'field 29 13 5 11 38 32 +6 44

11th Oldham 28 11 10 7 31 27 +4 43

12th Cambridge 30 11 9 10 36 33 +3 42

</pre>

28th of January 2007

My last-ditch attempt to keep Dawson at the club for a little while longer is refused by Mr Levein, who also withdraws his offer for Virgo (thankfully): Stephen Dawson (21 y/o, IRE, M C): 15 apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, 2 MoMs, av rating: 7.53

With Dawson returning to Leicester, I decide to make an offer to Aston Villa to loan Northern Irish international midfielder Steven Davis for three months. Davis is a similar player to Dawson, albeit with more pace, and at 22 years old, is certain to improve himself while on-loan. Davis, however, has attracted attention from a host of League One clubs, including 9th-placed Swansea, so hopefully our run of form in the last 6 weeks will attract him to our club (assuming that Villa accepts the offer).

29th of January 2007

Barry-Murphy, Vrede and Bisgaard are selected in the League One Team of the Week, but the claims of Beaumont and Delgado are overlooked, surprisingly.

Unfortunately, my attention to Steven Davis is not rewarded as Villa fail to accept my offer in time for him to consider it. He choses to join Swansea on a three-month loan. He will be a good acquisition for them.

30th of January 2007

David Jones agrees to stay with Brighton for another three months.

Brighton complete acquisition of James Beaumont

At a press conference at Withdean Stadium, Senor Flatline and James Beaumont shook hands on a deal that will see the cultured centre midfielder join Brighton and Hove Albion on a permanent basis from Nottingham Forest for a fee of £220,000. Senor Flatline said that he had been very impressed by Beamount’s play in the six matches he had played for Brighton while on-loan from Forest, culminating with a standout man of the match performance against Oldham Athletic on the weekend, in which Beaumont created both goals for Ecuadorian striker Agustín Delgado. Beaumont said he was pleased to make his move to Brighton permanently, as he felt comfortable with the club and looked forward to working with a well-respected manager. Beaumont’s first game as a permanent acquisition for Brighton is likely to be this weekend’s visit to Hartlepool…

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Thanks Terk. Delgado has been a revelation since joining Brighton at the turn of the new year. I've been very happy with his form. Beaumont looks to be a very classy player and I was surprised to find no competition for him.

1st of February 2007

Brighton quinella the Player of the Month awards

The Football Association announced the Player of the Month awards this morning at Lancaster Gate and Brighton’s run of superb form was recognised with James Beaumont being awarded the Player of the Month award for January 2007, with teammate Agustín Delgado runner-up.

After leading his side to victory in all six of Brighton’s matches for January 2007, Senor Flatline was awarded the Mirror Manager of the Month for January 2007.

Some nice recognition for our good work in January 2007.

3rd of February 2007

League One – Game 31: Hartlepool v Brighton

We dropped two points this afternoon. Twice we took the lead, and twice we are pegged back by a determined Hartlepool side. However, if Delgado had taken his shooting boots with him, then we may have converted our dominance into a greater amount of goals. On 38 minutes, from point blank range, Delgado powered his drive into the Hartlepool corner from Smyth’s cross, following good work from James Beaumont. But on 59 minutes, Clarke took the ball as Joel Porter shielded Adam Hinshelwood from the cross and he lashed it past Kuipers to tie the scores at 1-1 apiece. icon_frown.gif Having already lost James Beaumont to a fierce tackle at half-time, our creativity was much reduced. But Smyth cleverly drew a foul inside the Hartlepool box and the referee unhesitatingly blew for a penalty. Leon Knight, on as a substitute for Delgado who had missed too many opportunities, had no difficulty in converting the penalty on 75 minutes. However, six minutes later, Vrede lost touch on his opponent, Jack Wilkinson, who took Nelson’s long pass from the backline and slotted it past Kuipers.

Hartlepool (4-4-2): Konstantopoulos; Robertson (Westwood 59), Clark, Nelson ©, Barron; Robson, Clarke, Sweeney (Tinkler 71), Istead; Porter, Daly (Wilkinson 71).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy (Oatway 66), Vrede, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Beaumont (Mayo 54), Jones, Bisgaard; Delgado (Knight 66).

Final score: Hartlepool 2:2 Brighton

MoM – Morten Bisgaard

We’re back down to sixth place in League One following that result. A big match for our promotion chances next weekend, with a game at Withdean Stadium against Wycombe, who are eighth, two points behind us. Unfortunately, we’ll be without Barry-Murphy for a fortnight after he is diagnosed as straining his groin in the game against Hartlepool.

6th of February 2007

Joining Barry-Murphy in the physios’ rooms are Morten Bisgaard and Adam Virgo, who are both sidelined for up to a fortnight with injuries sustained during training. Losing Bisgaard is a particularly bitter pill to swallow, as I do not have a natural replacement for the Dane on the right side of midfield. All three players, who are very much in my calculations for first team places, will be unavailable for our next game at home to Wycombe Wanderers and are likely to miss our next game the following Tuesday at home to promotion contender Barnsley.

10th f February 2007

League One – Game 32: Brighton v Wycombe

Shorn of one of my key creative influences, along with injuries to two regular players, I’m forced to reshuffle the pack. It’s little wonder that without Bisgaard and with Beaumont forced from the field just after the hour mark we struggle to break down Wycombe’s determined rearguard. The match ends in a goalless stalemate.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, Ãlvarez, A. Hinshelwood; Oatway; Smyth, Beaumont (Booth 67), Jones, El-Abd; Delgado.

Wycombe (3-4-3): Willis; Burnell, Collins ©, Henry; Harper (Senda 60), Fox, Bloomfield, Philo (Edwards 60); Boyd (Strevens 71), Tyson, Mellor.

Final score: Brighton 0:0 Wycombe

MoM – James Beaumont

The news from the physios worsens when I’m told that Beaumont will miss a week after spraining a wrist in our goalless draw with Wycombe. That rules him out of Tuesday’s game against Barnsley and this will test the depth of my squad to its limit. I’m urgently exploring other options, but it’s going to be difficult to wrap up a deal to inject new blood into the squad between now and Tuesday.

12th of February 2007

Riccardo Scimeca to join the Seagulls in July

Former Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest utility Riccardo Scimeca has agreed terms on a Bosman transfer to Brighton from current club West Bromwich Albion. Scimeca, who turned 31 last birthday, is equally adept at playing as a central defender, right back, or as a defensive midfielder, and will add both experience to the Brighton squad.

Brighton manager, Senor Flatline, said that the pending acquisition of Scimeca is a good move for the club as it looks to rebuild its thin squad. He said that Scimeca’s experience at the highest level of domestic club football will help Brighton reach its potential and that he would look to Scimeca to provide mentoring and guidance to the younger players in the squad.

13th of February 2007

League One – Game 32: Brighton v Barnsley

This was a big match in the context of how our season might unfold. Barnsley came into the game fifth, one place above us in sixth, so this was a real six-point contest. With the injuries to our key players, I felt less than optimistic about the outcome, and I even put Adam Virgo – still injured and only in light training – on the bench, to make up the numbers.

We begin the game positively, with a fine team move culminating in Smyth drawing a great save from Goodlad inside the first minute of the match. But we don’t fashion our next chance until the half-hour mark, when Booth sets Smyth free down the left channel, and the winger tries his luck from an acute angle, but Goodlad is up to the task, at the cost of a corner, which we waste. Three minutes later, and Kuipers makes his first meaningful contribution, tipping over a fierce drive from Conlon, who found space inside our penalty box to have a lash. Ãlvarez has the ball in the back of Barnsley’s net on 57 minutes from Jones’ corner, but the goal is chalked off for a foul by the Spaniard on his opponent, and the score remains deadlocked.

Just on the hour mark, and Conlon tees up Bridge-Wilkinson for a fierce drive that Kuipers does well to partially block, and we clear the ball from the penalty box with some alacrity. I bring off El-Abd, the makeshift right winger who struggled, for Gez Murphy and tell the players to take up a 4-1-3-2 formation. It pays almost instant dividends when Murphy’s defence-splitting pass finds Delgado steaming through the centre. The Ecuadorian needs no invitation to shoot and he deliciously finds the back of the Barnsley net on 70 minutes to give us the lead.

Previously, when we’ve utilised this formation, we’ve tended to concede within minutes of scoring, so I have my heart in my mouth that my investments in new players and new coaches have paid dividends. On 77 minutes, the hapless Jarman is played through by Conlon, but pulls his shot well wide of Kuipers’ goal and I can breathe once more. Delgado misses a fairly simple opportunity five minutes later after Murphy takes Kuipers’ long clearance and sets up his fellow striker. However, David Jones is the man who has the final say in proceedings. Taking Vrede’s long pass in his stride down the right channel, the on-loan midfielder tries an audacious attempt that somehow finds its way into the back of the Barnsley net on 86 minutes, with the help (I have to admit) of a wicked deflection from Barnsley defender Darren Kenton. The goal is awarded to Jones, but it makes no difference to me – 2-0 with just minutes to play! Sure enough, the few remaining minutes pass by without trouble and we record an important victory.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, Ãlvarez, A. Hinshelwood; Oatway; Smyth, Booth, Jones, El-Abd (Murphy 64).

Barnsley (3-4-3): Goodlad; Holt ©, Kenton, James; Baker (Kay 62), Bridge-Wilkinson, Noble (Williams 62), Wroe; Wright, Ferris (Jarman 7), Conlon.

Final score: Brighton 2:0 Barnsley

MoM – David Jones

The victory lifts us into fourth place on the League One ladder, a point behind second-placed Millwall (who have three games in hand on us) and two points clear of seventh-placed Wycombe and eighth-placed Barnsley.

17th of February 2007

League One – Game 33: Brighton v Colchester

The last of our three consecutive home games and I hope to take maximum points against a club 16th in League One. Further, Colchester has been unsettled with rumours during the week that their best and most valuable player Greg Halford may be on his way out of Colchester shortly.

Barry-Murphy is back in full training but is well short of full fitness, while Morten Bisgaard is back in light training. Neither are considered for the fixture, and while Adam Virgo is almost approaching full fitness, he lacks match fitness, so remains on the bench. I make no changes to the side that defeated Barnsley 2-0 four days ago.

On 35 minutes, from Smyth’s corner, the referee whistles for a penalty when the assistant referee picks out that Colchester’s Dale Roberts committed a foul inside the box. To be truthful, it was hard to see the offence, but I wasn’t prepared to give this one up. On-loan midfielder David Jones took it upon himself to convert the penalty and he makes no mistake, sending it low and hard to the left of the Colchester keeper to open the scoring on 36 minutes. On 53 minutes, Smyth’s cross from the left channel is deflected into the path of Mitchell Booth steaming in to the box and the young Welsh midfielder’s strong drive is deflected slightly into the Colchester net to make it 2-0. From then on, we aren’t seriously troubled and we take another three points. icon_smile.gif

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo (Virgo 65), Vrede, Ãlvarez, A. Hinshelwood; Smyth, Booth, Jones, El-Abd; Delgado (Murphy 65).

Colchester (4-4-2): Roberts; Palmer (Hunt 66), Brown, Hessey, Chilvers; Johnston, Harrison, Duguid ©, Marrison (Anysinah 66); Garcia, Halford (Ainsworth 76).

Final score: Brighton 2:0 Colchester

MoM – Adam Hinshelwood

The victory makes no difference to where we stand on the ladder and we have probably the toughest match so far this season when we travel to London to take on Millwall at the Den. Millwall is flying high, currently, in second place, a point clear of us, but with four games in hand.

We catch a break when Millwall’s exciting young striker Dexter Blackstock is injured in Millwall’s 3-0 loss to Crystal Palace in the fifth round of the FA Cup this evening. He’ll miss a week, which puts him in severe doubt for our mid-week clash with Millwall.

20th of February 2007

Knight wants first-team football

Brighton striker Leon Knight has lashed out at his boss, Senor Flatline, for not giving Knight regular first team football at Withdean Stadium. Knight, who was a regular starter under Senor Flatline’s predecessor at Brighton, has not featured often since New Year’s Day, when Senor Flatline brought in three new strikers to the club, including Agustín Delgado, who has scored 12 goals in 11 games. It has been rumoured that Brighton has attempted to off-load Leon Knight earlier this season, but without success, and Knight told The Argus that he wants regular first-team football from Brighton, or he will find his way out of the club.

Senor Flatline could not be immediately reached for comment.

That just about condemns Leon Knight’s chances for obtaining regular first-team football for a while, I think. To underline the point, I demote him to the reserves. I ask Bob Booker to find any club prepared to make a realistic offer for the striker.

21st of February 2007

League One – Game 34: Millwall v Brighton

Brighton chairman, Mr Dick Knight, hails ‘immense’ performance

Following Brighton’s 1-0 win over promotion rival, Millwall, Mr Knight, declared to the media that he was delighted with his club’s ‘immense’ performance at the Den this evening.

A crowd of just under 12,000 people crammed into the Den to witness Brighton withstand heavy pressure after taking the lead on 10 minutes thanks to a Kevin Muscat own-goal when, under pressure from Adam El-Abd, Muscat headed Mayo’s long through past Darren Ward into the back of the Millwall net. Both teams fashioned chances at either end of the pitch, but desperate defending and top-drawer goalkeeping from both Kuipers, in goal for Brighton, and man of the match Ward preserved the tightness of the contest through to the final whistle.

Well, that was a heart-stopper, and I’m sure on different occasions we would concede the equalising goal to Millwall. But on the other hand, we had enough of our own opportunities to consolidate the lead by scoring a second goal, yet Darren Ward was sensational in goal for Millwall. A pulsating contest and I’m glad we shaded it in the end.

Millwall (4-1-2-1-2): Ward; Wilson (Jarrett 61), Lawrence, Muscat, Dunne ©; Safri; Hearn (Richardson 72), Morris; Einarsson; Braniff (Barnes 61), Sutton.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, Ãlvarez, Virgo; Oatway; Smyth (Barry-Murphy 69), Booth, Jones, El-Abd; Delgado (Murphy 69).

Final score: Millwall 0:1 Brighton

MoM – Darren Ward

The victory boosts us into second place, and Millwall tumble to fourth on the League One ladder. However, with the number of games in hand held by Millwall, they are odds-on favourite to climb back into second by the time the fixture congestion is sorted. Nevertheless, possession is nine-tenths of the law and I’m glad we can survey all but one club below us. Hull is still miles out in front, and notwithstanding the gushing tributes pouring out from The Argus about our title aspirations, I’m gunning realistically for a promotion playoff place and, optimistically, for second on the ladder.

24th of February 2007

League One – Game 35: Brighton v Cardiff

Having recently sacked its manager for not living up to expectations, Cardiff finds itself struggling in the lower half of the ladder. That means it’s probably not a good time to meet Brighton, particularly with Morten Bisgaard back in the first eleven for the rested Adam El-Abd, and James Beaumont on the bench putting pressure on Mitchell Booth to keep playing good football.

Delgado serves notice of his intentions when on 10 minutes he flashes a drive towards goal that is tipped over by the Cardiff keeper after being played through the middle of the Cardiff defence. But Cardiff fails to heed this lesson and on 12 minutes Delgado took Smyth’s low cross in his stride and powered it past the Cardiff keeper. We continue to knock on the Cardiff door for the second goal, while Kuipers spares our blushes on 30 minutes, pulling off a fine save to preserve our lead, and our persistence is rewarded on 72 minutes, substitute Gez Murphy rounds off a fine team move involving Mayo, Barry-Murphy, Booth and Jones to place the ball in the corner of Cardiff’s net. That makes it 2-0 and game over.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, Ãlvarez, Virgo; Oatway; Smyth (Mayo 62), Booth, Jones, Bisgaard; Delgado (Murphy 70).

Cardiff (4-4-2): Alexander; Pugh, Pellegrino (Huggins 56), Page ©, Parry; Ledley, Bullock (McCulloch 56), Kavanagh, Boland; Campbell, Jerome (Byland 45).

Final score: Brighton 2:0 Cardiff

MoM – David Jones

Seagulls’ chairman pleased with results

Mr Dick Knight declared himself delighted with Brighton’s latest win, a 2-0 victory over Cardiff that keeps the Seagulls in with a faint sniff of winning the League One championship. Brighton’s latest win is its twelfth League One game without defeat and a fourth win in a row and the fans are hopeful that new manager, Senor Flatline, can lead the club to promotion, which would far outstrip expectations at the start of the season.

Thanks displaced_seagull and sirdez24.

displaced_seagull - As explained at the start, it's somewhat fortuitous that I've ended up at Brighton - it certainly wasn't in my plans! Dear ol' Charlie has his limitations as a player, but he's doing a good job, so he keeps earning his place.

sirdez24 - this is being played on FM05, so the rules may be outdated. Riccy Scimeca's contract expires at the end of the season, so the usual 6-month period applies in his case.

25th of February 2007

Grateful for the opportunity to be diverted from club matters, I tune in to watch Portsmouth and Manchester United go head to head in the Carling Cup final. Manchester United squeaks through 1-0 thanks to a goal on 54 minutes to Fernando Cavenaghi. However, Portsmouth has every right to feel aggrieved, having the better of the game across the 90 minutes, but United keeper Tim Howard’s man of the match performance kept United in front. Yet, the Carling Cup is unlikely to be consolation for the global fans of United, with the club well off the pace in the Premier League, sitting fourth, some 15 points behind runaway leader Chelsea. The decisions by Sir Alex Ferguson to sell Landon Donovan and Cristiano Ronaldo back in August 2006 were controversial at the time, and the lack of creativity seems to be United’s biggest drawback at the moment.

However, by 6pm I’m back at the club posing for the cameras shaking hands with the club’s latest acquisition.

Brighton acquires Stephen O’Donnell

Brighton chairman, Mr Dick Knight, and manager, Senor Flatline, today unveiled Brighton’s latest acquisition for the playing squad, Stephen O’Donnell, a 23 year old attacking midfielder who most recently played with Boston United. Having commenced his career with Dundee United, O’Donnell, a former U-21 Scottish international, moved to England with Boston United in the summer of 2004/05. Having made 124(3) appearances for Boston, O’Donnell now has the opportunity at a higher level.

Senor Flatline described O’Donnell as a talented individual who should provide extra creativity to the Brighton midfield.

28th of February 2007

Morten Bisgaard, on his return to the first eleven at Brighton, is nominated in the English League One Team of the Week.

I’m disappointed to hear that Crewe can’t afford the transfer fee agreed with Brighton over the transfer of Leon Knight and the transfer is therefore cancelled. I immediately instruct Bob Booker to again offer Knight to clubs in order to seek a club that will take him off our hands.

We drop back to third when Millwall plays a catch-up match, easily defeating Oxford and leapfrogging us into second.

1st of March 2007

I’m advised by the Football Association that Mitchell Booth has been voted the League One Young Player of the Month for February 2007. That’s great encouragement for the 18 year old Welsh midfielder, who has deputised very well for the injured James Beaumont.

Senor Flatline League One Mirror Manager of the Month

Senor Flatline was voted the Mirror Manager of the Month for League One for the month of February 2007 after leading Brighton to four victories in six matches, and without losing a game. This makes two such awards in a row for Senor Flatline, who has overseen the rise of Brighton to a position to challenge for promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship for the 2008/09 season.

Delgado awarded Soccernet.com Goal of the Month

Agustín Delgado’s cleverly lobbed goal against Barnsley on 13th of February 2007 was voted by the awards panel as the goal of the month for February 2007.

Unfortunately, our good news is tinged with some sadness as midfield dynamo David Jones accepts the offer from Tranmere Rovers to shift clubs within League One, and leaves the club with immediate effect, Manchester United banking £275,000 from the transfer: David Jones (22 y/o, ENG, M C): 14(5) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, 2 MoMs, av rating: 7.16

3rd of March 2007

League One – Game 36: Huddersfield v Brighton

With David Jones departing for Tranmere, my selection changes are to fill the hole his departure leaves in our midfield. In comes James Beaumont, and O’Donnell is given a place on the bench.

We make a terrible start to the game when Carss takes a cute pass from Junior Mendes inside the box, turns and lashes it past Kuipers on just 4 minutes. icon_mad.gif We spend some time adjusting to the fact we’re behind and the awfully wet conditions in Huddersfield, but we start asserting ourselves and win a penalty on 35 minutes when McCombe trips Delgado inside the penalty area. Rather than Vrede, our usual penalty-taker, step up, Barry-Murphy asserts his right to take the spot kick and he makes no mistake, directing the shot low and hard into the right corner to tie the scores at 1-1 apiece on 36 minutes.

From then on, it’s really all Brighton as we strive to find the winning goal. Our persistence is rewarded on 70 minutes when Bisgaard and O’Donnell combine well to set free Smyth down the left channel. The winger gets to the by-line then pulls the back well for Murphy, on as a substitute for Delgado, to fire home from point-blank range. icon_smile.gif On 74 minutes, Kuipers pulls off a smart save to deny Gifton Noel-Williams, on as a substitute. Right at the death, Holdsworth has the opportunity to salvage a point for Huddersfield, but Kuipers makes a comfortable save to deny that opportunity and we walk away with all three points.

Huddersfield (4-4-2): Pidgeley; Lloyd (Cook 70), McCombe, Mirfin, Howard; Brandon (Worthington 80), Carss ©, McPhail, Holdsworth; Mendes (Noel-Williams 61), Abbott.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, Ãlvarez, Virgo; Smyth, Booth, Beaumont (O’Donnell 65), Bisgaard (A. Hinshelwood 83); Delgado (Murphy 65).

Final score: Huddersfield 1:2 Brighton

MoM – Mitchell Booth

A massive test next weekend – the league leaders, Hull City, visit Withdean Stadium.

4th of March 2007

I confirm two further Bosman transfers to occur during the summer. I’ve long admired Japanese international midfielder Junichi Inamoto, and would have brought him to Hillsborough if I had the chance. He has not settled in at West Bromwich Albion, and he has accepted a substantially reduced pay-cut to join the ‘revolution’ I’m slowly building here at Withdean Stadium. His move, however, is subject to a work permit being granted and I’m advised that we should have the Home Office’s decision in a fortnight. If it’s positive, I’ll announce the transfer to the public then.

I don’t make a great deal out of the other transfer, as nobody outside of Bergamo would have heard much about this player. Dino Sangiovanni is a left-sided attacking midfielder with a great eye for the pass. He’s not really had much chance of breaking in to the Atalanta midfield, and to be truthful, my scouts were divided over him. However, having discussed it with Bob Booker, my assistant manager, we decided it was worth offering him a contract, and he’s agreed to it. Provided he can settle in England, he should be a good long-term acquisition (he’s only 22).

5th of March 2007

Regillio Vrede is named in the League One Team of the Week.

6th of March 2007

Brighton agrees a new contract with right-back and defensive midfielder Adam El-Abd that ties him to our club until 2010. I’m not entirely happy with the terms of the contract, as Adam had asked for a minimum fee release clause of £350,000, and I wasn’t able to remove it, but I did increase it to £500,000. He receives a very substantial pay increase – from £400 per week to £2,100 per week. I’m sure I’ll be receiving plenty of messages from the finance controller and Mr Knight about the spiralling wage budget, but provided we keep winning, the protests will be somewhat muted.

I’m grateful that Hull City remains in the LDV Vans Trophy competition (something I won in my first season with Sheffield Wednesday), as I hope a tough, bruising, knock-out match with Port Vale would soften them up before our meeting on Saturday. However, Hull strolls the game 4-1 in what amounts to essentially a training run. There is a slight concern over the fitness of former England international Nick Barmby, but he should recover in time for our clash on Saturday.

7th of March 2007

In the Champions’ League, Manchester United played Real Betis. In the first leg, at Old Trafford, Sir Alex’s boys had comfortably win 4-0. However, in the return leg at Estadio de Ruiz Lopera, Betis ran up five goals, and it was thanks to Fernando Cavenaghi’s goal on 71 minutes that United was able to squeak through to the next round on the away goals rule after the two clubs had tied 5-5!

8th of March 2007

Colchester signs Brighton striker, Leon Knight

Colchester United has signed former Chelsea striker Leon Knight from Brighton and Hove Albion for an undisclosed sum, but sources close to both clubs suggest that the fee is approximately £300,000.

Leon Knight had been Brighton’s leading scorer before Senor Flatline was appointed manager of the Seagulls, but a series of sub-par performances prompted Senor Flatline to sign several alternatives to fill the role of striker. Combined with a change in formation that sees a need for only one striker, and it was obvious that Leon Knight was surplus to requirements at Withdean Stadium. Speculation has surrounded the future of Leon Knight for several months, with some sources claiming that Crewe had agreed a transfer fee for the striker only for the deal to break down at the last moment when Crewe’s capacity to finance the purchase ended.

Senor Flatline could not be contacted for comment on the transfer, but Colchester manager, Mr Phil Parkinson, said he was pleased to have acquired the services of Leon Knight, and hoped that the striker would perform to his abilities. Colchester sits 19th currently in the 24-team League One.

Well, that’s a relief – not to mention £4,200 per week – off my shoulders. Knight is a good player, but he’s not a world-beater by any stretch of the imagination, and with Delgado, Murphy, Cozzolino and Kraja all vying for one spot as striker, it was clear that Knight was always going to remain fifth-choice while he was at Brighton. Although I was optimistic when I thought I could sell him for £1 million, to at least pick up £300,000 is still a good outcome for the club.

For the last time in 2007, keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Thanks Queen of Stevenage. icon_smile.gif

10th of March 2007

League One – Game 38: Brighton v Hull

A cracking match decided by a cracking goal. On 28 minutes, James Beaumont is teed up by Morten Bisgaard about 30 yards from goal. Without hesitation, the former Forest man bends a thunderous drive past the mass of bodies in the Hull penalty box and into the top left corner of the Hull keeper’s net to give us the lead. It’s a lead we’re destined not to relinquish for the remaining 62 minutes of the game, notwithstanding the attempts made by Hull to find a way past Kuipers in our goal. However, Kuipers and our defenders were up to the task and ensured that we kept the lead intact. A magnificent result and now the club as a whole is beginning to believe that we have a real crack at promotion this season.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, Ãlvarez, Virgo; Oatway; Smyth (Mayo 62), Booth, Beaumont, Bisgaard (O’Donnell 45); Delgado (Murphy 77).

Hull (4-4-2): Speroni; Edge, Hinds, Bardsley, Kelly; McCann, Cochrane (Lewis 71), Ashbee, Barmby (D’Sane 61); Smith ©, Walters (Fry 61).

Final score: Brighton 1:0 Hull

MoM – Stephen Kelly

We move up to second on the ladder, closing the gap to Hull to just ten points, although Hull has a game in hand. Millwall is the big victor out of today’s game – with two games in hand on Hull, Millwall (in third) is eleven points behind Hull.

13th of March 2007

I’m left scratching my head after reading in The Argus that our Cypriot international midfielder Alexis Nicolas is complaining that he is finding it difficult to accept that he’s not part of my first-team plans and thinks he should be playing regularly for the first team. However, he also believes that he isn’t in peak physical condition, and therefore shouldn’t be playing. He’s currently turning out for the reserves, and with Oatway doing a competent job at screening the back four, I’m not sure I’m in a hurry to bring him back into the first team.

In the afternoon, I receive a facsimile from the manager of Aldershot, Mr Terry Brown, requesting that I loan Brian Barry-Murphy to the Shots for three months. Although my predecessor apparently failed to see the virtue in the Irish left-sided player, I can see plenty of virtue in him. He’s quite useful to me, in fact, and I have no intention of responding positively to Mr Brown’s request. A short email in response is called for and dispatched promptly.

14th of March 2007

Swansea appoints Torquay’s manager, Leroy Rosenior, to take over the managerial position at the Welsh club. I send Leroy a text message congratulating him on his appointment to the position, remembering past friendly words exchanged between us. He has some work ahead of him, though – the previous manager left Swansea in fifteenth position in League One.

We drop back to third position in League One as Hull and Millwall play catch-up games this evening. Hull disposed of Oxford 4-0 and Millwall recorded a 2-0 victory over Bradford City, although they left it late to score the goals – Kevin Braniff netting twice in the 84th and 88th minutes.

15th of March 2007

Michael Laudrup must be hoping that every game is as easy as his first game in charge of Barcelona. Only hours after being unveiled as Barcelona’s new manager, he was in Newcastle to watch his new club destroy Gianluca Vialli’s men 5-1.

17th of March 2007

League One – Game 39: Brighton v Burnley

The two form sides of League One go against each other at Withdean Stadium. Burnley hasn’t been beaten for 13 league fixtures, while we haven’t been beaten for 14 league fixtures.

With a record like that, you can bet on it being a scoreless draw, and that’s exactly what happens. Delgado comes closest with a shot saved by the Burnley keeper, Danny Coyne, and another drive who had Coyne beaten but cannoned off the post. Apart from that, both sides looked low on creativity this afternoon.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, Ãlvarez, A. Hinshelwood; Oatway; Smyth, Booth, Beaumont, Bisgaard; Delgado (Murphy 67).

Burnley (4-3-3): Coyne; Camara (Scott 29), Henry, McGreal ©, Smith; Grant, Hyde, Izzet; Carpenter (O’Neill 45), Torghelle, N’Toya (Oster 61).

Final score: Brighton 0:0 Burnley

MoM – Adam Hinshelwood

After 39 league games, we drop to fourth on the League One ladder.

18th of March 2007

I’m advised by the club’s lawyers that the application for a work permit filed on behalf of Junichi Inamoto has been rejected by the Home Office. I instruct the lawyers to file an appeal, as I believe Inamoto would be a step up on the current crop of defensive midfielders at the club. We should have the decision in about a week.

23rd of March 2007

Mitchell Booth will miss a week after damaging an elbow in the Welsh U-21 side’s 1-1 draw with Italy’s U-21s.

25th of March 2007

Unfortunately, my attempt to bring Junichi Inamoto to Brighton seems to have foundered on bureaucracy, with the Home Office again denying our application for a work permit made on behalf of the Japanese international midfielder.

26th of March 2007

League One – Game 40: Torquay v Brighton

No time to dwell on disappointments – we have a game to win! Mitchell Booth’s injury in his international match against Italy means I have to shuffle the first team. I briefly toy with promoting Alexis Nicolas from the reserves to sit on the bench, but his game for Cyprus a few days ago means he’s well short on match fitness, so I elect in the end to keep him in the reserves. Stephen O’Donnell makes his first start for Brighton since joining the club, along side James Beaumont. I give Adam El-Abd his first start since signing a new contract, which means that Adam Virgo goes into the centre of defence and Ãlvarez shifts into the anchor role in front of the back four. Charlie Oatway drops to the bench for this game.

The first half belongs to O’Donnell. The Scottish attacking midfielder scores his first goal for Brighton on 17 minutes, and the fact we scored is a testament to the strength of Agustín Delgado to hold the ball up despite the pressure of the Torquay defenders swarming over him. The Ecuadorian international fended off his marker before spraying the ball wide to Morten Bisgaard streaming down the right wing. The Dane cuts to a position where he could shoot (albeit from a difficult angle), and feints to do so, before pulling the ball back to three yards out where O’Donnell cannot miss! icon_smile.gif On 43 minutes, Bisgaard and Beaumont play a number of one-twos in order to open up space on the right flank. With the Torquay players drawn to the ball like bees to honey, they fail to notice Smyth making a run down the left channel. But Beaumont knows exactly what he’s doing and sprays the ball left. Smyth cuts inside then drags the ball back to the top of the penalty box where O’Donnell hits his shot first-time to see it career past Lee in the Torquay goal! icon_biggrin.gif A handy 2-0 cushion to take to the break.

That is about the extent of O’Donnell’s contribution, as he picked up a knock just before scoring his second goal and isn’t fit enough to continue meaningfully, in the opinion of our physio. I substitute O’Donnell for Barry-Murphy at half-time, switching Smyth into the centre of our midfield.

Torquay, still without a manager after Leroy Rosenior joined Swansea, takes the fight up to us early in the second half and they’re rewarded with a goal to Russell on 67 minutes, his speculative shot from 25 yards completely deceiving Kuipers in our goal and threatening all our good first-half work. icon_mad.gif But the game tilts in our favour when on 71 minutes, Issa Abdul Kadir is sent off for his second yellow card offence. I instruct our players to push for the decisive third goal, and both Delgado and Beaumont could count themselves unlucky they don’t score that goal. It’s up to Adam Virgo to score his first goal under my management to seal the win, when on 89 minutes, he takes a touch to steady himself after receiving the pass from substitute Gez Murphy and, notwithstanding the pressure from the Torquay defender, lashes a powerful drive past Lee into the far corner. icon_biggrin.gif It’s a fine way to end the contest and I’m sure that Adam is proud of that strike.

Torquay (4-4-2): R. Lee; Joy, Walsh, Abdul Kadir (s/o 71), Thelwell (Woods 45); Russell ©, C. Lee (Tonge 71), Johnson, Hart; Ashikodi (Kuffour 71), Bedeau.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, Virgo, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth, O’Donnell (Barry-Murphy 45), Beaumont, Bisgaard (A. Hinshelwood 86); Delgado (Murphy 86).

Final score: Torquay 1:3 Brighton

MoM – Regillio Vrede

Mr Knight telephones me to convey his satisfaction with the win over our seaside rivals. I’m more pleased to see that, provisionally, we’re back in third position on the League One ladder, although Blackpool, two points behind us, has yet to play its 40th game of the season.

Brighton extends unbeaten run

Brighton has extended its unbeaten run in League One to 16 games with its 3-1 victory over Torquay this evening. After an indifferent start under new manager, Senor Flatline, some key signings on New Year’s Day, including the Ecuadorian goal machine, Agustín Delgado, Brighton’s form has improved dramatically, to the point where it is one of the favourites for a promotion playoff finish at the end of the season, and still has hopes of winning the League One championship.

In fact, Brighton has yet to be defeated in league action in 2007, with Brighton’s last loss – a 1-0 loss to Swansea in Swansea – occurring on 30th of December 2006.

28th of March 2007

“He should be a good signing for us, boss,†smiled Bob as we walked out of the media room at Withdean Stadium. The player Bob was talking about was being escorted by the coaches to the change rooms so he could be allocated his locker and given his training and playing strips.

“Yep, I think so, Bob. He’s capable of playing on both wings. He’s an international player, and has a taste of club football at the highest level in England, with Everton and Sunderland. Frankly, I couldn’t believe that Burnley was only using him off the bench and that they were prepared to sell him to us at a reasonable price.â€

“How much did Mr Knight agree to pay Burnley for John Oster?†inquired Bob. I said, “Well, I’m not sure of the details, but I think once all the instalments are tallied up, it’ll be about £130,000. I think it should be a good investment. We need some depth on the wings. Bisgaard has been great for us, but he’s not getting younger and I have a feeling that Smyth has about reached his level in League One. Barry-Murphy is a good player but he seems to be injured often.â€

“Yes, there’s something about Brian that bothers me. He seems to be a morose character. While the morale amongst the squad is generally great, Brian seems to get really pessimistic about things.â€

“I’ve noticed it too, Bob. Keep an eye on him during training and let me know if you think his attitude will affect the team as a whole. With Oster on board, we should have the depth on the wings to start rotating players, if need be.â€

“Sure, I’ll do that. I also wanted to let you know about the international games. Agustín Delgado played the full 90 minutes for Ecuador and set up a goal as they defeated French Guyana 3-0. Alexis Nicolas also played the full 90 minutes, but he was pretty disappointing as Cyprus lost 2-1 to Norway,†and with that Bob went back to his office to work on the training schedule for the next couple of days, to ensure that the team was fresh enough to meet Cambridge on Saturday.

I was personally excited to see John Oster sign for Brighton. He should be a good acquisition and I think I can find a way of sneaking him in to our first eleven sooner rather than later.

30th of March 2007

My trusty personal assistant gives me reminders that a number of contracts are expiring in three months, unless I move to extend them. To my pleasant surprise, Regillio Vrede asks for less money than he’s being currently paid to play for Brighton. In the event we’re promoted, he’s not likely to play a prominent role, but he’s been an excellent servant in the three months he’s been with the club, so I offer him the terms he desires.

I offer contracts to Malcolm Stuart, a physio here at Brighton, and a coach, Kevin Taylor. Bob Booker, my loyal assistant manager, is next on the list. Unfortunately, the wage restrictions means that if he wants to remain at Brighton he’s going to have to take a pay cut of £250 per week.

But that’s nothing compared to the pay cut I’m slugged with when my agent telephones me to talk through my contract extension offered by Brighton. When I signed the one-year contract with Mr Knight in November 2006, I was paid £10,750 per week, more than ten times what I received when I was managing Sheffield Wednesday. Now, Mr Knight has offered me £1,600 per week. I’m unhappy with this turn of events but, as my agent puts it to me prosaically, at the moment there are no better job offers, so I’m obliged to take on the new contract, even accounting for the substantial pay decrease. Luckily, my family is a frugal family and we haven’t been splurging on material goods with my unnaturally high wage for four months, but notwithstanding that, it’s still a kick in the teeth to see the pay packet so markedly reduced.

31st of March 2007

League One – Game 41: Cambridge v Brighton

However, as always, there’s a match that demands attention. O’Donnell’s fitness has not recovered, and while Mitchell Booth is back in full training, his fitness is no better than O’Donnell’s. That means that John Oster, by default, will receive his debut, as I decide to switch Bisgaard into the centre of midfield, along side James Beaumont, and thus Oster takes up station on the right side of midfield. Otherwise, it’s as you were, though I toy with the idea of resting Delgado after his mid-week exertions for his country. However, he is appalled at the suggestion and tells me in no uncertain terms that he wants to play.

I’m fortunate enough to listen to him as he scores the two goals that take us to a slightly fortuitous victory over Cambridge. There was nothing lucky about either goal, but Cambridge were so creative in making chances for themselves, they could have easily been in a winning position by the time Delgado scored his second goal. However, their profligacy was their downfall and I’m happy to claim the three points.

The first goal is a model of simplicity. Kerry Mayo’s long throw-in is headed home by Delgado, notwithstanding the attentions of the Cambridge defenders, on 4 minutes. But we’re made to sweat as Cambridge throw everything at us, including the kitchen sink, but Kuipers is in fine form and their strikers have left their shooting boots at home, so it takes until injury time at the end of the game to see us secure all three points when Virgo and Barry-Murphy, playing as the wingers, combine to set up Delgado. Virgo’s long cross-field ball is nicely controlled by Barry-Murphy and he advances into the Cambridge penalty box before pulling it back for Delgado to knock home from just a couple of yards out. That secures his brace and his 15th goal of the season. Delgado’s confidence that he would succeed at this level was not misplaced.

Cambridge (4-4-2): Begovic; Kendrick, Angus, Tann ©, McCready; Tudor (Kemp 72), Kearns, Bexfield (Mongin 61); Wilkie; Turner (Easter 72), Chillingworth.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, Virgo, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Bisgaard (Oatway 84), Beaumont (Barry-Murphy 70), Oster (A. Hinshelwood 77); Delgado.

Final score: Cambridge 0:2 Brighton

MoM – Agustín Delgado

The victory, again hailed by Mr Knight, comes at a cost, however, with Malcolm Stuart advising me that Morten Bisgaard had incurred a twisted ankle which will keep him out of action for a fortnight. That is no longer the severe blow it would have been a couple of months ago, with the reinforcements now in the squad, but it’s still not good news, as Morten’s creativity and vibrancy will be missed.

Being so immersed in my job at rebuilding Brighton, I had hardly any time to take notice of what was happening at my old club, Sheffield Wednesday. After our win over Cambridge, I took the opportunity to talk briefly with Patrick Bexfield, whom I had signed when I was the Owls’ manager to bolster the ranks of our youth from Norwich. I had tried to loan Bexfield earlier in the season, but Sheffield Wednesday had refused my offer and instead the talented attacking midfielder had gone to Cambridge. He was about to return to Sheffield at the expiry of his loan in a couple of days, and he told me he was fairly apprehensive about things. Still, somewhat shockingly, Sheffield Wednesday had not appointed a replacement manager, and Kevin Summerfield was still acting manager. However, Sheffield Wednesday seemed to be prime for escaping the drop after they had strung three wins together from four matches, following a 4-0 hammering at the hands of Manchester United. Their victims included a 2-0 win over Arsenal, the team that had triggered my rant at the chairman, Mr Dave Allen, and my subsequent dismissal as manager. I wished him luck for the rest of the campaign.

1st of April 2007

I’m pipped to the post of a third consecutive manager of the month award by Millwall manager, Dennis Wise. No Brighton player features in the player of the month awards, though Beaumont’s winner against Hull was voted the second best goal of the month.

2nd of April 2007

My contract offers are all accepted by their respective recipients.

4th of April 2007

My evening is given a boost when news filters through from Swansea that the Welsh club has inflicted a defeat upon Millwall. We trail Millwall by a point, although Millwall still has a game in hand. However, I can sense the door slightly ajar on seizing the automatic promotion place.

7th of April 2007

League One – Game 42: Brighton v Cheltenham

This should have been an easier match for us to win than it actually was. Agustín Delgado’s goal on 28 minutes was the decisive factor in giving us all three points but at no point did I really feel comfortable that those points were in the bag. Cheltenham’s players were determined not to leave Withdean Stadium without something to show for their efforts and they came close to securing an equaliser on a number of occasions. We also failed to really turn our dominance in possession to truly threatening strikes on goal, and although we won, we should have been more comfortable than we were.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, Virgo, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth (Booth 64), O’Donnell, Beaumont, Oster (A. Hinshelwood 79); Delgado (Murphy 79).

Cheltenham (4-4-2): Margetson; A. Taylor, M. Taylor (Townsend 71), Brough; Bird, Littler, Finnigan ©, Melligan, Little (Warren 71); Mackey, Spencer (Odejayi 71).

Final score: Brighton 1:0 Cheltenham

However, the victory is supremely important as we’re now mathematically confirmed of at least a playoff place at the end of the regular season. That was unthinkable just four months ago, when I first signed on to be Brighton’s manager. icon_smile.gif At the moment, we’re one point ahead of Millwall, who has a game in hand on us, so it’s tight for the race for the second automatic promotion spot behind Hull (ten points clear of us on top of the ladder).

Yet, I’m amazed to again see stories in the media this evening claiming that Delgado is ‘past his best’ and should no longer be selected. He’s scored 16 goals for the season, having only joined us at the start of January, and he bagged the winner against Cheltenham to secure us at least a promotion playoff zone. Asked about the comments in the press by The Argus, I have this to say:

Brighton manager praises recent Delgado performances

Responding to recent criticism of the 32 year old Ecuadorian international, Senor Flatline today told The Argus that Agustín Delgado was playing some excellent football, and his rich vein of form in the past few months meant that the striker was partly to thank for Brighton’s excellent league position.

9th of April 2007

Ironically, given recent comments, Delgado is named in the League One team of the week. icon_biggrin.gif

10th of April 2007

Bob Booker comes into my office holding what looks to be a ream’s worth of print-outs. He puts it down in front of me and grins, “You should read what the fans are saying about Delgado on the forums, boss. They’re behind you all the way on your recent comments about Agustín.â€

“Excellent. It’s about time the fans realised that we have a top-quality striker at the club, and hopefully the media can stop criticising Agustín. Hopefully, he’ll continue his great form through to the end of the season.â€

11th of April 2007

The identities of the four clubs comprising the semi-finallists of the Champions League have been decided – Juventus crushed Arsenal 7-4 on aggregate after winning the second leg of their quarter-final tie 5-2 at the Delle Alpi, with goals to Lúcio, Cristiano Ronaldo, David Trezeguet, Emerson and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, even though Juventus conceded the first two goals of the game to Arsenal. There will be some serious soul-searching to be done by Arsene Wenger and his men on their return to London after this tie.

Manchester United was given a fright by Real Betis in the first knock-out round, but no such problems for the Red Devils this time around. Having taken care of Club Brugge 4-2 at Old Trafford in the first leg, Sir Alex’s men administered last rites by notching up a 1-0 victory in Belgium, to take the tie 5-2 on aggregate.

After a scoreless first leg in Spain, Chelsea secured passage through to the semi-finals thanks to a Dimitar Berbatov hat-trick at Stamford Bridge over Valencia, the defending European champion. Valencia’s cause was not helped by a red card issued to David Albelda on 47 minutes for two yellow cards.

In the final quarter-final, the all-Italian affair between AC Milan and Roma ended in Roma’s favour on the away-goals rule. In the first leg at the San Siro the clubs drew 2-2 all, and in the second leg at the Stadio Olimpico, the clubs drew 1-1 all.

Closer to home, and Hull claimed its first piece of silverware for the season with an easy 3-0 win over Millwall in the LDV Vans Trophy final at New Wembley in front of almost 90,000 spectators. A brace to Jonathan Walters and a goal to former England international Nick Barmby secured the trophy for the Yorkshire-based club and shortened the club’s odds for capturing the League One title this season. I hope that the blow to morale of Millwall dealt by the loss will derail Millwall’s league campaign and allow us to consolidate second place and automatic promotion.

Archived