Seagulls are nasty birds

Dixie Flatline

12th of April 2007

The semi-finallists for the UEFA Cup are decided this evening. In an all-England tie, Liverpool edge out Charlton Athletic 3-1 on aggregate after a 2-0 win at Anfield in the first leg. In a pulsating encounter, Barcelona emerged triumphant over massive rivals, Real Madrid 6-5 on aggregate. The first leg was drawn 2-2 all at the Nou Camp, but Barcelona prevailed 4-3 at the Santiago Bernabeu to advance. In the other all-Spanish tie, Real Zaragoza crashed out to Real Sociedad 7-4 on aggregate, after the Basque-based club won the second leg 5-2. Middlesbrough’s 1-1 draw with Schalke was enough to see the English club advance 2-1 on aggregate to the semi-final stage.

14th of April 2007

League One – Game 43: Walsall v Brighton

Against the club bottom of the ladder, I expect nothing more than three points this afternoon, and my team delivers on my expectations. However, if Walsall’s strikers were a little more composed in front of goal than they were, and if Kuipers wasn’t on top of his form when required, then the match could have had a different complexion entirely. Delgado kicks things off when on 21 minutes Smyth dispossesses Joe McMahon near our penalty box and quickly moves the ball forward to Mitchell Booth. The Welshman plays a simple pass to the wide-open Ecuadorian who takes the ball into the penalty box and calmly places it in the far corner. icon_smile.gif Ben Burgess is particularly wasteful for Walsall and we make his club pay when on 44 minutes, El-Abd intercepts a loose Walsall pass and sets us on our way. Ãlvarez, not normally noted for his creativity, picks out Smyth surging in to the box from the left side of midfield, and the winger has no difficulty converting the opportunity to send us 2-0 to the good as the referee whistles for the half-time oranges.

It’s more of the same after the break, with Gez Murphy grabbing a goal on 71 minutes after Smyth out-paced Tony McMahon to control Barry-Murphy’s ball down the line and then cut it back to the top of the box where Murphy powered a drive into the corner, beating the Walsall keeper at his near post. Mission accomplished. icon_smile.gif

Walsall (4-4-2): Adler; Marsh, Mancienne ©, J. McMahon (Roche 62), T. McMahon; Taylor (McDermott 72), Stuart (Wheeler 62), Standing, Norris; Burgess, Fryatt (inj. 89).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth (Virgo 83), Booth (O’Donnell 61), Beaumont, Oster; Delgado (Murphy 61).

Final score: Walsall 0:3 Brighton

MoM – Adam Hinshelwood

Unfortunately, the victory is marred by the fact that Stephen O’Donnell picked up a slight knock (ironically, he had come on to replace Booth who was labouring also under a slight knock). The injury O’Donnell received is serious enough to keep him out for five days, but he should be okay to play in our next game against Tranmere at Withdean Stadium in a week.

The victory is hailed once more by Mr Knight, who can see promotion as a distinct possibility. The reason why? Millwall, a point behind us going into the weekend’s games with a game in hand, loses away at Torquay 1-0, in an upset result. With Hull winning at home, Millwall’s defeat confirms Hull’s status as champion of League One for the 2006/07 season, so we’re firmly fixed on seizing second place and automatic promotion to the Coca Cola Championship for season 2007/08.

Race is on for automatic promotion

Hull City may have wrapped up the League One title and automatic promotion to the Coca Cola Championship, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t anything left to play for in League One.

Brighton’s amazing run of form, 19 games unbeaten in League One, has seen the Seagulls climb from the lower half of the table to currently occupy second place on the ladder, four points clear of third-placed Millwall, who has a game in hand. The equation is simple for Brighton. Win each of its last three games and no matter what Millwall does, automatic promotion – a pipe dream only months ago – will be a reality. Drop points, and Millwall’s prospects of securing runners-up spot and automatic promotion are greatly enhanced.

It should be a cracking finale to what has already been an extraordinary season for the supporters of both Brighton and Millwall…

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15th of April 2007

The first semi-final in the FA Cup pits Arsenal against Chelsea, and it’s the boys from Stamford Bridge who prevail, taking the tie 3-1.

16th of April 2007

An amazing five players from Brighton are named in this week’s League One Team of the Week – Adam Hinshelwood (right back), Regillio Vrede (centre back), Brian Barry-Murphy (left wing), Mitchell Booth (centre midfield) and Agustín Delgado (centre forward).

18th of April 2007

In the second semi-final, Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur go head to head for the right to play Chelsea in the final. Newcastle triumphed 4-3, notwithstanding Tom Huddlestone’s injury-time goal.

More importantly from our perspective, Cambridge defeated Millwall 2-1, making it two losses on the bounce for the Lions and making our task of securing automatic promotion that much easier – we could now afford to drop points in our run-in to the end of the season (though, of course, I don’t want to do that).

21st of April 2007

League One – Game 44: Brighton v Tranmere

I tell the players in the dressing room before the game that I expect to see them bring back three points from this game and they don’t let me down. However, the source of our opening goal is somewhat surprising, as Vrede is lurking on the edge of the penalty box when a hurried clearance comes his way on 14 minutes. The Dutchman takes a step to steady himself then shoots, more in hope than anything else. With the aid of a big deflection from a Tranmere defender, the ball finds the back of the net. icon_smile.gif Our second goal is more conventionally fashioned when Mark Smyth finds space down the left channel to take the ball into a threatening position, before crossing the ball low and hard for Delgado to stab home from point-blank range on 40 minutes. icon_biggrin.gif

I remind the players at half-time that the job is half-done. They had done well in the first half, but there is another 45 minutes to play. So I’m disappointed to see former Brighton player David Jones pull Tranmere back into the contest on the hour mark when he finds the back of the net from a free kick. It would be difficult to blame Kuipers, as he had the shot covered, but it took a slight deflection from the wall and that was enough to wrong foot the Dutchman. icon_mad.gif

However, Vrede has the last laugh when he towers above David Jones to head home Bisgaard’s corner on 64 minutes. That makes the score 3-1 and takes the sting out of the contest completely. That allows me to give Elis Kraja, the Albanian striker I signed from Atalanta in the winter, his competitive debut when he replaces Delgado on 74 minutes. He doesn’t really have much of an opportunity to shine, but that gives him a taste of what it likes to play in the first team.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth (Mayo 74), Booth, Beaumont, Oster (Bisgaard 60); Delgado (Kraja 74).

Tranmere (4-4-2): Smith; Lovell, Sharps, G. Jones, Dodd (Jackson 60); Welsh, D. Jones ©, Harrison, Joachim; Hume (Pettefer 64), Shaw (Martin 60).

Final score: Brighton 3:1 Tranmere

MoM – Regillio Vrede

Tranmere gaffer backs Brighton for promotion

Having seen his side defeated 3-1 by Brighton at Withdean Stadium this afternoon, Tranmere manager, Brian Little, said in the press conference following the game that he backed Brighton to gain promotion this season. He admitted that he thought it difficult to see anyone who could overhaul Brighton in the remaining games of the season. Brighton currently sits second on the League One ladder after 44 games, four points clear of both Millwall and Burnley with two games left to play in the season.

I shake hands with David Jones after the game, wishing him well for the remainder of the season. With a nod of his head, he wished us luck for our charge towards promotion.

22nd of April 2007

Unfortunately, the result at Withdean Stadium yesterday does no favours for Brian Little with the Tranmere Rovers board, who sack him with immediate effect today. Tranmere has struggled this season, with their promotion campaign never really getting going and with a couple of games left, Tranmere is in twelfth position.

Better news for Chelsea supporters, as the Stamford Bridge club wraps up the English Premier League championship with three games left to play. Chelsea are ten points clear of Arsenal (second) and Manchester United (third). Chelsea’s 3-2 win over Arsenal at Stamford Bridge yesterday sealed the title for Roman Abramovich’s club, making it two championships on the trot for Jose Mourinho, the Chelsea manager.

Former club Sheffield Wednesday is one point away from making safety against relegation a certainty, with the club currently in thirteenth position on the ladder.

23rd of April 2007

Unsurprisingly after his match-winning performance on Saturday, Regillio Vrede is named in the League One Team of the Week.

25th of April 2007

The first leg matches in the European Champions’ League semi-finals are played simultaneously this evening, and it’s a good night for English clubs. Chelsea celebrated its coronation as English champion by handing out a 3-0 hiding to Roma at Stamford Bridge. Manchester United scored a 1-0 win over Juventus at Old Trafford.

26th of April 2007

The first leg matches in the UEFA Cup semi-finals are played simultaneously this evening, and honours are mixed for the two English and two Spanish clubs competing. Barcelona defeated Real Sociedad 2-0 at the Nou Camp, and Liverpool defeated Middlesbrough 2-0 at Anfield.

28th of April 2007

League One – Game 45: Peterborough v Brighton

Promotion for Brighton!

Brighton scored a 2-0 win over Peterborough this afternoon to secure runners-up position to Hull in League One and therefore automatic promotion to the Coca-Cola Championship for 2007/08 season.

Regillio Vrede continued his scoring streak, opening the scoring on 20 minutes when he snuck in at the near post to prod home Smyth’s corner. Peterborough had its opportunities to draw level, but creativity in the final third was lacking and Kuipers was hardly challenged by the Peterborough forwards. Brighton made the game safe when on 81 minutes, Brighton winger John Oster played a one-two with substitute Mitchell Booth before audaciously chipping the Peterborough keeper from the edge of the box. It could be Oster’s most important goal of his career, with a 21-game unbeaten streak carrying Brighton to promotion.

It’s delirium in the changing rooms after the game as we celebrate what seemed a completely remote promotion only a few months ago. Everybody is covered in champagne by the time the bus comes to collect us from London Road! icon_biggrin.gif

Peterborough (4-2-4): Fon Williams; Craig, Arber ©, Cooney, St Ledger (Billong 61); Wilson, McKenna; Purser (Semple 61), Matthews, Vine, Willock (Hanson 61).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Vrede, A. Hinshelwood, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Smyth, Bisgaard (Booth 67), Beaumont, Oster (Virgo 82); Delgado (Murphy 82).

Final score: Peterborough 0:2 Brighton

MoM – Regillio Vrede

After the game, I’m called by the agent of Gary Lovell, a teenage left back currently plying his trade with Tranmere. He’s happy to agree to the terms we’ve offered and he’ll join in the summer. Tranmere will be due £1,000 in compensation for the 18 year old.

30th of April 2007

Regillio Vrede and Morten Bisgaard feature in the League One Team of the Week.

1st of May 2007

As you can expect, the morning board meeting to which I’m invited to attend is full of overjoyed directors, including the chairman of the board, Mr Dick Knight. They each offer me their fulsome congratulations for achieving promotion and thus over-achieving as far as they were concerned when I was first appointed manager of Brighton. I make a mental note that planning for the future (specifically, surviving next season in the Championship) will need to be raised sooner rather than later, but it’s more likely to be considered in the June board meeting. I hope to avert a repeat of what happened at Hillsborough earlier in the season…

Mr Knight gives me a player of the month award and tells me that the FA has awarded the League One Player of the Month for April 2007 to Regillio Vrede for a series of outstanding performances at the heart of our defence. The Dutchman is pleased to be recognised by the football league.

Mitchell Booth is second runner-up in the League One Young Player of the Month award for April 2007.

Senor Flatline the Mirror Manager of the Month

Senor Flatline of Brighton and Hove Albion is announced as the Mirror Manager of the Month for April 2007 after guiding the Seagulls to victory in all four of their league fixtures in April. This makes it the third time this season that Senor Flatline, appointed to the position in November 2006, has been recognised and Senor Flatline, having secured automatic promotion to the Championship with a game to play in the season, is one of the favourites to be named League One Manager of the Season.

2nd of May 2007

The European Champions’ League final will be an all-English affair after Manchester United and Chelsea each drew with their Italian opponents, Juventus and Roma, respectively 1-1 in Italy. Manchester United won its tie 2-1 on aggregate, and Chelsea prevailed 4-1 on aggregate.

3rd of May 2007

James Beaumont’s season is over after he fractured a wrist in training and will miss up to a month.

In the UEFA Cup semi-finals, Liverpool and Barcelona (despite losing to Real Sociedad 2-1) secured their passage through to the final.

5th of May 2007

League One – Game 46: Brighton v Doncaster

The last game in the season for us ends with a comfortable 2-0 victory, Delgado scoring one and creating another for Stephen O’Donnell. To be truthful, the crowd was more interested in celebrating promotion than following the club’s fortunes on the field. The first goal is created by the persistence of Kerry Mayo, who picks up the ball on the left side of midfield, and finds Morten Bisgaard free on the right. The Dane crosses the ball low and hard into the box and Delgado steals in at the near post to prod home on 23 minutes. In the second half, Delgado chases down a cleverly-paced clearance from Morten Bisgaard before crossing into the box to a position where O’Donnell simply cannot miss, and the Scot duly makes it 2-0 on 64 minutes.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Vrede, A. Hinshelwood, Virgo; Ãlvarez; Smyth, O’Donnell, Booth, Bisgaard (Barry-Murphy 77); Delgado (Murphy 66).

Doncaster (5-3-2): Hirschfield; Foster ©; Hall, Fenton; Doolan (Dunne 60), McIndoe (Maloney 13), Green, Keane, Guttridge; Roberts (Harris 67), Blundell.

Final score: Brighton 2:0 Doncaster

MoM – Agustín Delgado

So, after 46 games in the regular season, this is the ladder at the end:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts

------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Hull 46 30 8 8 77 32 +45 98 ©

2nd Brighton 46 26 12 8 72 33 +39 90 (P)

3rd Millwall 46 25 11 10 84 43 +41 86 (Pl)

4th Blackpool 46 24 11 11 66 38 +28 83 (Pl)

5th Burnley 46 19 21 6 46 29 +17 78 (Pl)

6th B'mouth 46 20 13 13 69 54 +15 73 (Pl)

7th H'field 46 21 10 15 59 49 +10 73

8th Cambridge 46 18 13 15 53 46 +7 67

9th Wycombe 46 17 14 15 60 51 +9 65

10th Oldham 46 16 16 14 49 50 -1 64

11th Barnsley 46 16 14 16 58 57 +1 62

12th Tranmere 46 16 14 16 51 56 -5 62

13th Hartlepool 46 15 16 15 43 49 -6 61

14th Cardiff 46 16 12 18 61 59 +2 60

15th Swansea 46 16 12 18 62 61 +1 60

16th Stockport 46 11 21 14 53 51 +2 54

17th Colchester 46 14 8 24 49 73 -24 50

18th Cheltenham 46 12 12 22 52 77 -25 48

19th Doncaster 46 13 8 25 54 75 -21 47

20th P'borough 46 11 14 21 47 69 -22 47

-----------------------------------------------------------------

21st Torquay 46 12 10 24 60 85 -25 46 ®

22nd B'ford City 46 9 18 19 49 69 -20 45 ®

23rd Oxford 46 9 15 22 47 76 -29 42 ®

24th Walsall 46 8 13 25 45 84 -39 37 ®

</pre>

So, having completed our season, here are the vital statistics for the squad:

Goalkeepers

Michel Kuipers (32 y/o, GK, NED): 54 apps, 33 conceded, 22 clean sheets, 4 MoMs, av rating: 7.48

Richard Martin (19 y/o, GK, ENG): 0 apps

As I thought when I joined Brighton in November 2006, Kuipers is the clear no. 1 keeper and will be so for the foreseeable future, unless I’m able to upgrade the goalkeeping stocks in the off-season. Kuipers captained the club well and penned a contract extension that will tie him to the club for at least another season. Martin spent the season under my management on the bench and didn’t receive any game time. He should be developing in the reserves, but I still don’t see a future for him at our club.

Defenders

Adam Hinshelwood (23 y/o, D RC, ENG): 37(6) apps, 1 assist, 7 MoMs, av rating: 7.44

Kerry Mayo (29 y/o, D L, ENG): 41(5) apps, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.11

Regillio Vrede (34 y/o, D C, NED): 23 apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, 3 MoMs, av rating: 7.43

Paul Hinshelwood (19 y/o, D C, ENG): 7(6) apps, av rating: 7.08

Adam El-Abd (22 y/o, D/DM R, ENG): 45(1) apps, 1 assist, av rating: 7.28

Brian Barry-Murphy (28 y/o, D/DM L, IRL): 20(7) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, av rating: 7.11

Adam Virgo (24 y/o, D/F RC, SCO): 37(6) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, 2 MoMs, av rating: 7.26

Adding Regillio Vrede to the centre of defence strengthened it immeasurably, as the likes of Adam Hinshelwood and Adam Virgo both enjoyed the steadying influence of the Dutchman along side them in defence. I’m not sure that Regillio will have the same measure of success in the Championship, so the defence will require strengthening in the summer. However, the two ‘Adams’ are both very promising defenders and I will be keen to keep both of them for at least another season. Adam El-Abd does a good job on the right flank and Kerry Mayo generally looks after the left side of defence quite well, too. Brian Barry-Murphy divided his time between left back and left midfield after returning from Aldershot.

Midfielders

Ãlvarez (27 y/o, ESP, D/DM C): 23 apps, 1 assist, av rating: 7.30

Ross Jackson (17 y/o, ENG, D/M R): 0(11) apps, 1 assist, av rating: 6.73

Charlie Oatway (33 y/o, ENG, DM C): 36(6) apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, av rating: 7.07

Alexis Nicholas (24 y/o, CYP 10 caps, 1 goal, DM C): 15 apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av rating: 7.47

James Beaumont (22 y/o, ENG, M C): 17 apps, 4 goals, 3 assists, 2 MoMs, av rating: 7.88

Mitchell Booth (19 y/o, WAL, M C): 30(7) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.35

John Oster (28 y/o, WAL, AM RL): 5 apps, 1 goal, av rating: 7.60

Morten Bisgaard (32 y/o, DEN 8 caps, 1 goal, AM RLC): 21(1) apps, 1 goal, 9 assists, 2 MoMs, av rating: 7.59

Stephen O’Donnell (23 y/o, SCO, AM RC): 3(3) apps, 3 goals, av rating: 7.33

Mark Smyth (22 y/o, ENG, F LC): 37(9) apps, 3 goals, 17 assists, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.00

One thing I was able to improve during the course of the season was the state of our midfield. Bringing players such as Oster, Bisgaard, Beaumont and O’Donnell into midfield to create chances for the forwards, plus Ãlvarez to screen the back four, helped improve our overall form very well. That is not to discount the efforts of Stephen Dawson and David Jones, who also spent time at Brighton under my management, and both players were quite impressive in their spells here.

I expect to see the likes of Oster, O’Donnell, Booth and Beaumont take up the opportunity of playing at a higher level next season. Although Mark Smyth was a good player this season, particularly with his work in creating final balls for the likes of Delgado and Murphy to convert into goals, I think his level is about League One and I don’t think he will succeed at the Championship. I hope I’m wrong, but strengthening that area will help us remain in the Championship.

Forwards

Agustín Delgado (32 y/o, ECU 84 caps, 44 goals, S C): 23 apps, 19 goals, 3 assists, 5 MoMs, av rating: 7.74

Guiseppe Cozzolino (21 y/o, ITA, S C): 0(3) apps, av rating: 6.67

Gez Murphy (28 y/o, ENG, S C): 6(14) apps, 7 goals, 2 assists, av rating: 7.10

Elis Kraja (21 y/o, ALB 5 caps, S C): 0(1) app, av rating: 7.00

Quite clearly, Delgado is the best signing I’ve made for a very long time. Purchasing him for £110,000, I never had an inkling that he would go on to score 19 goals in 23 appearances in all competitions – imagine what his figures would have looked like had both of us joined Brighton at the start of the season?! icon_smile.gif I hope he continues his same vein of rich form in the new season. Gez Murphy did a good job when he was the ‘transition’ between the (to be frank) poor choice of strikers I inherited and Delgado joining on New Year’s Day, but unfortunately for him, he was sidelined by Delgado’s emergence. Cozzolini and Kraja are players for the future.

After the game is finished, I work out why Barry-Murphy has moped around the club for so long – he has been transfer-listed by my predecessor and nobody brought it to my attention! I immediately bring the Irishman into my office and tell him that he’s done enough to no longer be transfer-listed. To my satisfaction, his mood immediately improves.

12th of May 2007

Burnley takes a 1-0 win over Blackpool in the first leg of the semi-final to determine who will go through to the League One playoff promotion final.

On the same day, the English Premier League is concluded. Chelsea was confirmed as champion a few weeks ago, and their winning margin is five points over Arsenal, with Manchester United a further five points back in third. Charlton, Manchester City and James Beaumont’s former club, Nottingham Forest, will join us next season in the Championship. My old club, Sheffield Wednesday, ends its first season back in the top flight in 15th, a comfortable 9 points clear of relegation.

13th of May 2007

Bournemouth grabs the advantage after the first leg of its semi-final clash with Millwall, winning 2-1 at the Fitness First Stadium.

16th of May 2007

Burnley’s miserly defence completes the second leg of the semi-final against Blackpool without conceding, sending the Clarets through to the promotion final 1-0 on aggregate.

In the evening, Liverpool and Barcelona contest the UEFA Cup final, with the Spanish club prevailing on penalties after the two storied clubs finished the full 120 minutes level at 1-1 apiece.

17th of May 2007

Millwall takes the second leg of its semi-final clash with Bournemouth 1-0, but Bournemouth takes the tie on penalties.

23rd of May 2007

Chelsea defeats Manchester United to hoist the European Champions’ League trophy 4-2 after extra-time. Sanli Tuncay gave the Red Devils the perfect start on 18 minutes, but two minutes later, United was reduced to ten men when Tim Howard was shown a red card. Lampard missed the resultant penalty, but Dimitar Berbatov equalised for Chelsea on 33 minutes. Chelsea took the lead on 82 minutes thanks to an own goal “credited†to John O’Shea, but Ruud van Nistelrooy soon equalised on 84 minutes to push the tie to extra-time. However, Chelsea finally made its man advantage count with goals from Didier Drogba on 111 minutes and Albert Luque on 115 minutes.

25th of May 2007

A brace of goals from Micah Hyde and another goal to Tony Grant gave Burnley a 3-1 win over Bournemouth in the League One promotion playoff final at Wembley to join Hull and Brighton in the Championship next season.

26th of May 2007

Chelsea repeats Manchester United’s famous 1999 treble by claiming the FA Cup with a 2-1 win over Newcastle United at Wembley. Newcastle took the lead on 28 minutes through Nelson Haedo Valdes but Chelsea drew level thanks to Michael Ballack’s goal on 81 minutes. Dimitar Berbatov struck the winning goal on 119 minutes to send Chelsea and its supporters into delirious celebrations.

27th of May 2007

In a special board meeting, I’m advised by Mr Knight that my transfer budget for the forthcoming season is £230,000, plus whatever I manage to raise through the sale of players in the current squad. Hmm, things could be better.

29th of May 2007

I’m surprised to see only Michel Kuipers selected, on the bench, in the League One Select. Although he might only have scored 19 goals in 23 appearances, I would have thought that Agustín Delgado is a better choice for striker than either Nathan Tyson (of Wycombe) or Iain Hume (of Tranmere Rovers).

I’m named runner-up to Tony Adams in the League One Manager of the Year award. Adams took Burnley to promotion through the playoffs, so he did deserve his award. Dennis Wise of Millwall is the second runner-up, scant consolation after Millwall threw away a golden opportunity at the end of the season to be promoted.

The omission of Agustín Delgado from the League One Select is made all the more surprising when he is confirmed as second runner-up in the scoring charts. His 19 goals compares from 22 league appearances compare favourably to 24 goals from 40(1) league appearances by winner John Murphy of Blackpool and 20 goals from 39(8) appearances by James Hayter of Bournemouth.

30th of May 2007

Stephen O’Donnell is notified that he was selected in the League Two Select for the just-concluded season, given his work with Boston United before I purchased his services.

1st of June 2007

Again, the board meeting with Mr Knight presiding is short and to the point, as I’m congratulated once more for achieving a hitherto undreamed of promotion to the Championship. I decide to bite my tongue about the funds available to me to build the squad for preserving our status in the Championship until we know the split from television revenues the club will receive.

2nd of June 2007

John Oster earns his 19th cap for Wales with 18 minutes at the end of Wales’ European Championship qualifier against Malta, won by the Welsh quite comfortably, 4-1.

5th of June 2007

Gary Lovell, the Tranmere teenage left-back, joins Brighton today, and we deposit £1,000 into the Tranmere bank account in return.

6th of June 2007

John Oster is given 30 minutes for Wales against Croatia, but doesn’t exert much influence and Wales draws 0-0 with Croatia in Zagreb.

10th of June 2007

Leicester City sacks Craig Levein

Leicester City chairman Mr Jim McCahill told a packed press conference at the Walkers Stadium that the Leicester City board has lost faith in manager Craig Levein and it was decided that the Scot’s services were no longer required by the club.

Speculation immediately links former Leicester manager Martin O’Neill with the vacancy, but other papers are linking managers such as Brighton’s Senor Flatline, former Charlton Athletic manager Alan Curbishley and Gary Megson with the position.

This makes for interesting reading. When I joined Brighton in November 2006, I was focussed on using Brighton as a stepping-stone to move up to a higher-positioned club and Leicester remains in the Premier League, even despite its poor 2006/07 season. However, I’ve been gripped with the challenge of turning Brighton into a strong club and I would feel, were I approached to leave, that I was leaving the job undone. I’m unlikely to be even given the opportunity, but I hesitate to consider my position.

20th of June 2007

Michel Kuipers is selected by the Brighton Supporters Association as the Fans’ Player of the Season for his superb work between the sticks.

23rd of June 2007

Three days ago, I was advised by Brighton’s financial controller that we received £625,000 from the FA as our share of the television rights. I wait a few days, but Mr Knight does not change his position, so I make a formal request for further funds to be released to build the squad, as Bob Booker and I both agree that we need to strengthen the squad in order to survive a relegation campaign we’re tipped to make. Mr Knight tells me that the club cannot afford to release the extra funds that I’d like. I shrug my shoulders and tell him that I’ll just get on with the job.

27th of June 2007

Seagulls sign Adler

Former Manchester City goalkeeper, René Adler, has joined Brighton to provide competition and support to current incumbent, Michel Kuipers. Senor Flatline said that the 22 year old German had a bright future in front of him and would offer good support.

Signed for £78,000 over all, with a sell-on clause, we should turn a profit on him if we need to sell him at some point.

3rd of July 2007

Now I understand why Mr Knight refused my request for extra funds as we today unveil the new Falmer stadium in which Brighton will play its home games from now on. The Falmer holds 15,000 all seated, which is a vast improvement on the old 9,000 capacity Withdean Stadium. Hopefully this should increase our gate revenue and sponsorship opportunities, laying the foundation for a successful era.

5th of July 2007

Brighton signs former Owl

Brighton manager, Senor Flatline, used his contacts to persuade Australian midfielder Luke Wilkshire to join Brighton on a free transfer after Wilkshire was released by Sheffield Wednesday at the end of the 2006/07 season. Senor Flatline had originally acquired Wilkshire from his former club Bristol Rovers and told a press conference at Falmer Stadium that he believed that Wilkshire’s ability on the ball and his range of passing would be invaluable assets in Brighton’s forthcoming Championship campaign.

With Mitchell Booth and James Beaumont as my only two recognised central midfielders, adding a player of Wilkshire’s calibre was an important move for me to complete. Wilkshire’s ability to hit passes will be an excellent asset for us to exploit, and I think that his move to Brighton will see Booth go back to the reserves and on-loan to complete his football education for the season.

7th of July 2007

Agustín Delgado is selected in Ecuador’s Copa America squad and he bids us farewell as he travels to Heathrow to catch his flight out to Venezuela to catch up with the remainder of his squad.

Brighton signs Walcott

Former Sheffield Wednesday and Southampton youngster, Theo Walcott, has put pen to paper on a contract with the Seagulls. Walcott was presented to the media at Falmer Stadium by chairman Mr Dick Knight and manager, Senor Flatline, who both extolled Walcott’s promise. Walcott was released on a free transfer by former club Sheffield Wednesday in the off-season and is the second player signed by Senor Flatline this season who has worked previously under the manager at the Owls, following in the footsteps of Luke Wilkshire.

8th of July 2007

Bexfield makes three

Former Sheffield Wednesday youngster, Patrick Bexfield, joined teammates Luke Wilkshire and Theo Walcott at the Falmer Stadium, making it a triumvirate of former Owls signing for the Seagulls under manager Senor Flatline, who said that he was excited that Bexfield had agreed to join Brighton on a free transfer, as he is one of the best young talents in the country. Bexfield told the media that he was pleased to be offered the opportunity to play regular football once more.

Pre-season friendlies start today, and we christen our new stadium with a match against Italian club Ternana. The match is an open affair, but I feel that, despite the 2-2 draw it produces, we have the better of proceedings and perhaps should have recorded a win. Wilkshire opened the scoring just before half-time with a close-range finish produced by John Oster’s low cross, but Ternana equalised through a goal softly conceded through Adler, our new goalkeeper. Ternana took the lead on about the hour mark, but Bexfield saves our blushes with a late, late equaliser, cutting in from the left and scoring from a fairly acute angle.

10th of July 2007

Young goalkeeper, Richard Martin, joins Greys Athletic on a three-month loan. That should be good experience for him, as he’ll never be given first team football this season under my management, unless there is a severe injury crisis.

However, this is not a move that’s going to create many ripples amongst the football fraternity, unlike the following:

Manchester United announce the appointment of a new manager

Following the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson following the end of the 2006/07 season, the board of Manchester United today announced former Mexican international, Hugo Sánchez, as the new manager of the Red Devils. With United finishing third behind Chelsea and Arsenal last season in the race for the title, as well as losing to Chelsea in the final of the European Champions’ League, the pressure is on Senor Sánchez to quickly adapt to the rigours of both domestic and European club football.

In a short statement read by Senor Sánchez to the assembled media at Old Trafford, the new Manchester United manager said that he was ‘delighted’ to have been given the opportunity of guiding the Red Devils in its post-Ferguson era and he looked forward to working with the star-studded squad of players through the season.

More from Old Trafford as this breaking story develops…

11th of July 2007

Our second friendly of the pre-season takes us to sunny Wales where we are hosted by Swansea. Charlie Oatway is injured in the opening few minutes of the game and I decide not to risk further injury, so I bring him off on the quarter-hour mark for Ãlvarez. Then in a complete moment of madness, Kerry Mayo argues too vociferously with the referee and is first warned, then cautioned then shown a second yellow card. He feels my glare burning twin holes in his back as he trudges back to the dressing rooms. I choose to wait until half-time to re-shape, and I tinker once more with the eleven players on the pitch. The dire match is eventually decided by a Swansea goal with seven minutes to play and to say that I’m disappointed with the afternoon (particularly the sloppy passing my normally reliable midfielders displayed) would be an understatement.

We have some work to do, that’s for sure.

12th of July 2007

“Delgado played 74 minutes for Ecuador in the Copa America against Colombia, boss,†says Bob Booker as he takes a seat in my office, at my invitation.

“Oh yeah? How did he go?â€

“Well, boss, from what I can gather, he played quite well, but Ecuador came out in a 4-3-3 formation which really didn’t seem to suit him too well. They lost the match 1-0, as well.â€

“Shame. I hope he doesn’t injure himself. He’s vital for our chances this season.â€

“I agree, boss.â€

14th of July 2007

I’m very surprised to read in the Spanish newspapers that Fernando Torres had left Atletico Madrid on a free transfer and was looking for a new club to join. Knowing that I was probably wasting my time, I immediately rustled up a pro-forma offer document prepared by the club’s lawyers, filled in the blanks and faxed it to Fernando’s agent forthwith. You can but dream! icon_biggrin.gif

15th of July 2007

Former Belgian U-21 central defender Jan Wuytens joins the club on a four-week trial, so I can evaluate whether he would be worth signing on a permanent basis. The 22 year old collected 25 caps at U-21 level, so he’s highly regarded by the Belgian set-up. I think I can see some potential in him, and he’ll have an immediate chance to impress as I tell him to meet us in Mansfield, because that’s where our next friendly is being played.

In the meantime, Leicester City hopes that revisiting the past will bring glory back to the Walker Stadium, as the Foxes unveil Martin O’Neill as their new manager. In the end, I wasn’t even approached by Leicester City to see if I would be interested in the job, and I didn’t make an application to fill it in any event.

We chalk up an easy 2-0 win over Mansfield. Barry-Murphy set us on our way on 7 minutes and Gez Murphy scored the second goal on 83 minutes, capping off a superb move that featured plenty of short, sharp, one-touch passing, particularly involving Patrick Bexfield, who is named man of the match for his efforts off the bench. I feel a little happier with proceedings. Jan Wuytens looked very good in the centre of our defence.

After the game, I am telephoned by the agent of young Arsenal striker, Arturo Lupoli. The Italian is prepared to join Brighton on a three-month loan. Some fans might be a bit sceptical of me signing yet another striker, given that we only play with one up-front, but I believe that Lupoli is a step-up on many of the players I have at my disposal and should provide good support for Agustín Delgado. It also permits me to loan out either Cozzolino and/or Kraja, so they can gain valuable first-team experience at a lower level.

Bob Booker then closes his mobile phone and says, “I just was on the phone to the Ecuadorian press officer. Delgado had a stinker of a match against Brazil in the Copa America. But he wasn’t the only one – Ecuador lost 3-1 to Brazil. Zero points after two games, with one left to play – Agustín will probably be on a flight back to England in the next few days.â€

When we arrive back at Brighton, I quickly check in on my office, and find two messages waiting for me. Both bear good news, as they are messages from the agents for Tony Vidmar and Luigi Di Biagio. Both former players are prepared to join Brighton as scouts. I quickly return the agents’ telephone calls and confirm that I will sign both scouts as soon as possible.

Thanks sherm. It's good to be back. *clinks sherm's glass*

16th of July 2007

Tony is in his office for just a day when he tells me that Oldham Athletic has made him an offer to join their club. We’d be due £20,000 in compensation should he leave for Oldham, but I’d much rather prefer to keep the Australian.

A better piece of news is the notification from Jonathan Spector’s agent that the Manchester United defender is prepared to join the Seagulls on loan for three months.

17th of July 2007

Having slept on Oldham’s offer, Tony this morning informs me that he has chosen to reject their offer. Thank goodness for loyalty to employers!

Spector hints at permanent deal

American international defender, Jonathan Spector, has told The Argus exclusively that he has enjoyed the welcome he has received from the Seagulls and he hopes that he can repay the faith invested him by playing well for the club during his tenure at Brighton. Indeed, Spector hinted that he would welcome the opportunity to join the Seagulls on a permanent basis.

I like the kid’s enthusiasm, but there’s a lot of water to flow under the bridge before we can even think about making his place in our squad permanent.

18th of July 2007

I pair Spector and Wuytens in the centre of Brighton’s defence as we take on Middlesbrough at home in the semi-final of the F1 Cup II. We concede a penalty half-way through the first half, and Spanish veteran midfielder Gaizka Mendieta easily converts it past Kuipers. In the second half, we’re more creative, but we don’t have a cutting edge up front and we waste the few golden opportunities we create. We go on to lose 1-0.

Earlier in the day, Everton defeated my former club, Sheffield Wednesday, in the other semi-final, so we will play the Owls for third tomorrow.

After the match, Bob Booker advises me that Agustín Delgado plays 57 minutes in Ecuador’s 0-0 draw with Bolivia in its third group match in the Copa America. That concludes Ecuador’s participation in the competition, so I expect to see Delgado back n training in the next few days.

19th of July 2007

The boys do me proud this afternoon, as a single goal from substitute Gez Murphy on 53 minutes seals our win over Sheffield Wednesday. Although the Owls featured a number of younger players, there was still a good smattering of the players that I knew quite well, including Hayden Mullins, Hugo Viana, Rohan Ricketts, Gil Swerts, Anton Ferdinand and Danny Allsopp, so I’m very pleased with the result and the manner in which it was achieved, as we really aren’t forced into any desperate defending at any stage. In fact, the scoreline probably doesn’t reflect the dominance we exert over Sheffield Wednesday by the end of the game.

In the evening, Middlesbrough takes out the F1 Cup, defeating Everton on penalties after the two Premier League clubs draw 2-2.

20th of July 2007

It looks like Brighton’s association with Luigi Di Biagio may be cut prematurely short as Lazio offers him a contract to work for the Rome-based club. We’d be due £40,000 if he decides to return to Italy, but I hope he stays with us for a little longer, having only joined the club at the start of the week.

21st of July 2007

To my delight, Luigi Di Biagio turns down Lazio’s contractual offer and chooses to remain with Brighton, for the time being.

22nd of July 2007

As part of our pre-season preparations, I decide to take the club to Spain to play three matches against different Spanish clubs. Our first game pits us against Segunda Liga club Cadíz, and John Oster’s goal on 5 minutes is sufficient to see us win the match. Elis Kraja perhaps could have done better with the three or four chances that came his way in the second half, but we look comfortable and well-organised.

Having been alerted to the fact that Oostende had made an offer to sign Jan Wuytens, I decide to offer the Belgian defender a contract. The 22 year old is well aware of his potential importance to Brighton, and he doesn’t hold back in naming his terms. Hopefully he’ll choose to stay in Britain rather than return to the continent. However, in the event he chooses to go elsewhere, I do have alternatives to pursue. My coaches, led by Bob Booker, all agree that Wuytens has much to learn about the game, but he definitely has potential that could be harnessed.

25th of July 2007

Our second game in our Spanish sojourn sees us take on Elche, who prove to be no match for us, as we run rampant. A 4-0 win over Elche is a great fillip for the club as we move towards our first game in the league in a fortnight or so. Gez Murphy bags a brace, including one from the penalty spot, while Arturo Lupoli and John Oster both come off the bench to score late in the game, the Welshman’s goal coming via the penalty spot.

26th of July 2007

Jan Wuytens leaves the hotel in Barcelona where we are residing before our match in two days with Espanyol to catch a flight out of Spain and to his new club, Westerlo. I’m sorry to see the Belgian go, because I could see he has potential to be a very good central defender. However, he doesn’t even do me the courtesy of shaking my hand before leaving, so I’m disappointed with his attitude.

28th of July 2007

We draw our final game in Spain 1-1 with Espanyol. Theo Walcott puts us in front on 34 minutes following a mad scramble in the Espanyol penalty box, in which Agustín Delgado demonstrates the benefit of having a strong striker as he holds off the Espanyol defenders to permit the youngster to pounce. However, hesitant defending from substitute Adam El-Abd allows Pedro Munitis to set up the equaliser for Espanyol with 8 minutes to play. Arturo Lupoli has several chances in the dying minutes to win the game for us, but he fails to beat Jauregi, the Espanyol keeper, or instead hits his shot over the bar. However, to match a Primera Liga club in the manner we did makes me feel good about the game.

31st of July 2007

A twisted ankle will sideline Scottish attacking midfielder Stephen O’Donnell for a fortnight, and he will not be in contention for selection for our opening game of the season against Gillingham.

The odds on the Championship are released this afternoon by Oddschecker.com. Favourite for promotion is Manchester City, with odds of 6-4. West Ham is at 7-4, Charlton 2-1, Forest 5-2, with Norwich and Stoke both 3-1. The odds quoted for the Seagulls are 33-1 which is nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be, and indeed The Argus, having seen the same sheet, thinks that this means the bookies believe we’re in with an outside chance of promotion. Perhaps the bookies are recalling the last time I managed a club in the Championship, which was two seasons ago when I took the Owls straight from League One to the Premiership. At this stage, quite frankly, I’d be happy to be fourth last by the day the season concluded.

In the evening, just under 500 people show up at the Withdean Stadium to watch the Brighton senior side take on Brighton’s U-18s. As expected, the senior players give the U-18s a football lesson, notwithstanding James Beaumont finding himself taking the walk of shame for a red card with less than 40 minutes on the clock. Agustín Delgado converts a penalty in injury time at the end of the first half, and then the senior players pile on three more goals in the second half to make the score 4-0 (including a brace to Arturo Lupoli in the space of two minutes). The only downside is an injury suffered by Patrick Bexfield, which Malcolm Stuart diagnoses as a case of fractured ribs. That will keep the young midfielder out for three weeks, which is a blow because I had just about pencilled him in for our first match on the weekend. icon_frown.gif

1st of August 2007

Our final board meeting before the season proper starts on the weekend, and Mr Knight tells me across the table that the club’s directors are very pleased with my performance as manager to date. Of course they’re pleased – I’m sure they had no right to expect promotion when they appointed me in November 2006, but here we are, preparing for a tilt at the Championship. Let’s hope things go better for the Seagulls than last time, when they finished stone, motherless last. I’m hoping that the board’s desire to improve the stadium’s size at the expense of giving me funds to strengthen the squad means that we’re able to play in front of capacity crowds in the Championship next season.

Midfielder Dino Sangiovanni joins the club officially today, although he had been in the stands last night to watch his new teammates put the U-18s to the sword. He’s just in time too, what with the glut of injuries to my midfielders, notwithstanding his lack of match practice, he’s sure to come under strong consideration for our first game of the season.

3rd of August 2007

We’re given an encouraging draw for the first round in the League Cup, as we’re at home against League Two club, Bristol Rovers.

Seagulls unveil Darren Purse

Brighton manager, Senor Flatline, and chairman, Mr Dick Knight, today presented new acquisition Darren Purse to the media at Falmer Stadium. The 30 year old central defender has been a target for Senor Flatline, an unabashed admirer, since Senor Flatline was appointed as manager of the Seagulls in November 2006. After being released by his former club, West Bromwich Albion, Darren immediately attracted Brighton’s attention and he had no hesitation in choosing Brighton over rival suitor, Rotherham.

Darren said to the press, “I’ve been aware of Senor Flatline’s long admiration for me, and I’m flattered that even though I was without a club, Senor Flatline still believes I have plenty to offer. I’m prepared to do my utmost to ensure that Brighton has a successful season in the Championship.â€

Senor Flatline said, “I’m pleased to have secured Darren’s services for the forthcoming season. He’s an experienced defender and will provide a steadying influence at the back. We’re all aware that this season will be one of consolidation for the club, as we strive to ensure our survival in a tough league. Darren’s arrival at the club will help to maximise our chances of remaining in the Championship after this season.â€

With Darren’s acquisition confirmed, and our first competitive game of the season less than 24 hours away, let’s take a look at the squad I’ve assembled for the start of the 2007/08 season (NB: all statistics are for the last three seasons only):

Goalkeepers

Rene Adler (22 y/o, GER, GK): 0 apps

Michel Kuipers (33 y/o, NED, GK): 128 apps, 139 conceded, 47 clean sheets, 20 MoMs, av rating: 7.45

Richard Martin (19 y/o, ENG, GK): 0 apps (on loan to Greys Athletic)

Although I signed Adler for £5,000 up-front, with a further £73,000 payable over a considerable period of time, Kuipers was, and remains, my first choice keeper. The 33 year old Dutchman had a terrific season in League One last time out, and I believe he’s good enough to step up to the challenges of the Championship. He will also have the honour of captaining Brighton this season. Richard Martin will spend the first three months of the season at least on loan to Greys Athletic and I fervently wish him all the best.

Defenders

Adam Hinshelwood (23 y/o, ENG, D RC):107(16) apps, 1 goal, 6 assists, 9 MoMs, av rating: 7.20

Jonathan Spector (21 y/o, USA 13 caps, 1 goal, D RC): 0 apps (on loan from Manchester United)

Kerry Mayo (29 y/o, ENG, D L): 88(20) apps, 2 goals, 7 assists, 3 MoMs, av rating: 7.05

Paul Hinshelwood (19 y/o, ENG, D C):7(8) apps, av rating: 7.07

Darren Purse (30 y/o, ENG, D C): 0 apps

Regillio Vrede (34 y/o, NED, D C): 23 apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, 3 MoMs, av rating: 7.43

Adam El-Abd (22 y/o, ENG, D/DM R): 65(5) apps, 3 assists, av rating: 7.30

Riccardo Scimeca (32 y/o, ENG, D/DM RC): 0 apps

Brian Barry-Murphy (29 y/o, IRL, D/DM L): 33(10) apps, 1 goal, 6 assists, av rating: 7.05

Adam Virgo (24 y/o, SCO, D/F RC): 114(19) apps, 9 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av rating: 7.27

I would have liked to have seen Jan Wuytens become part of my group of defenders at the club, and notwithstanding the temporary acquisition of Jonathan Spector and the permanent acquisitions of Riccardo Scimeca and Darren Purse, I have a feeling that our defence is perhaps not as strong as it should be for our campaign to avoid relegation. I’ve listed Paul Hinshelwood for loan as I think it would be a cold day in Hades before I let him near first team action in the Championship. I have some reservations about the ability of Adam El-Abd to cope with the extra demands the Championship will pose, having seen him freeze momentarily in our game against Espanyol in pre-season which directly caused Espanyol to score the equalising goal. Purse comes into the season with no pre-season, so I’m feeling a little pessimistic. Scimeca’s leadership and experience will be vital qualities, I believe, as the season progresses. Adam Virgo is the club’s vice-captain and is a vital part of our campaign to remain in the Championship for 2008/09.

Midfielders

Ãlvarez (27 y/o, ESP, D/DM C): 23 apps, 1 assist, av rating: 7.30

Alexis Nicolas (24 y/o, CYP 11 caps, 1 goal, DM C): 97(9) apps, 3 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.06

Charlie Oatway (33 y/o, ENG, DM C): 72(36) apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, av rating: 7.04

Luke Wilkshire (25 y/o, AUS, M RC): 0 apps

James Beaumont (22 y/o, ENG, M C): 17 apps, 4 goals, 3 assists, 2 MoMs, av rating: 7.88

Mitchell Booth (19 y/o, WAL, M C): 30(7) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.35

John Oster (28 y/o, WAL 12 caps, AM RL): 5 apps, 1 goal, av rating: 7.60

Morten Bisgaard (33 y/o, DEN 8 caps, 1 goal, AM RLC): 21(1) apps, 1 goal, 9 assists, 2 MoMs, av rating: 7.59

Stephen O’Donnell (24 y/o, SCO, AM RC): 3(3) apps, 3 goals, av rating: 7.33

Theo Walcott (18 y/o, ENG, AM RC): 0 apps

Patrick Bexfield (17 y/o, ENG, AM LC): 0 apps

Dino Sangiovanni (22 y/o, ITA, AM LC): 0 apps

Mark Smyth (22 y/o, ENG, F LC): 37(9) apps, 3 goals, 17 assists, 1 MoM, av rating: 7.00

Much of my off-season focus has been spent on improving the midfield. Ãlvarez has been his cool, assured self in pre-season so I have little doubt that he will be a steadying influence in the season, doing his job of screening the back four and goalkeeper efficiently. Alexis Nicolas is a moaner, but he remains a good player, even accounting for the increase in quality posed by the Championship, so he will have his opportunity to shine, unless one of either West Ham or Hull City (who are both interested in him) make me an offer I cannot refuse for the Cypriot international. He is due to come out of contract at the end of the season, so I’ll need to make a decision quickly on whether to offer him a new contract (which he’ll probably reject, given his attitude) or risk losing him on a free transfer. Charlie Oatway is purely depth now.

Luke Wilkshire may not have been ideal for the Premiership, and his lack of pace will forever curtail the heights his career might otherwise have scaled, but he should be a very influential player for me in midfield, with his range of passing unparalleled. Along side him, James Beaumont showed in the past season that he could become a very special player and they should complement each other very well. I would like to send Mitchell Booth on loan for a considerable portion of the season. He is a promising talent, but needs regular games to improve himself on a consistent basis, which he won’t receive here at Brighton this season.

I have numerous options to fill the wings, with Patrick Bexfield a shining light in pre-season until he was injured against the U-18s. Only 17, but he has a very bright future ahead of him. On the other wing, Theo Walcott showed that he has potential, and he should figure prominently in our campaign. Dino Sangiovanni has only recently arrived at the club and still needs to acclimatise himself to the differences with Italian football, as plied at Atalanta, but I have my hopes that he should be a good acquisition for the Seagulls this season.

John Oster and Stephen O’Donnell were last season’s acquisitions but they should also have their opportunity as well. Morten Bisgaard has experience but he should be happy with the occasional appearance. I said at the end of last season that I believed Smyth had reached the peak of his ability and nothing in our pre-season preparations indicates to me otherwise.

Forwards

Guiseppe Cozzolino (21 y/o, ITA, S C): 0(3) apps, av rating: 6.67

Agustín Delgado (32 y/o, ECU 84 caps, 44 goals, S C): 23 apps, 19 goals, 3 assists, 5 MoMs, av rating: 7.74

Elis Kraja (21 y/o, ALB 5 caps, S C): 0(1) app, av rating: 7.00

Arturo Lupoli (20 y/o, ITA, S C): 0 apps (on loan from Arsenal)

Gez Murphy (28 y/o, ENG, S C): 6(14) apps, 7 goals, 2 assists, av rating: 7.10

I have listed Cozzolino and Kraja for loan, in the hope they can obtain regular first team football at a lower division to assist in their development. At this stage, I will give Delgado first crack at improving upon his phenomenal record in League One last season, and I believe that Arturo Lupoli should be a lethal strike weapon when coming off the bench and in rotations. Gez Murphy has been a good acquisition for me, but I think that he will not be as useful as Delgado or Lupoli.

Thanks Bill and Spav. I hope you both continue to enjoy the story! icon_smile.gif

4th of August 2007

Championship – Game 1: Gillingham v Brighton

It takes our opponents all of 48 seconds to register the first goal we concede this season after some misunderstanding between Spector and Virgo causes Delron Facey to pick up possession about 25 yards from goal. He steams into our penalty box unchallenged and Kuipers, uncharacteristically, hesitates. This allows the striker time to pick his spot and he makes no mistake. icon_mad.gif I’m immediately advising my players to settle down and to forget about the atrocious start we’ve just made, and to my satisfaction, we start playing some good football. However, we enter half-time with the score still reading 1-0 to Gillingham. In the interval, I ask the players to tell me how they thought they’d played in the first half and I emphasise that they need to concentrate on their jobs at all times.

Finally, we have the equalising goal on 61 minutes as Oster plays a long ball down the right channel for Delgado to chase. The Ecuadorian looks up and sees Wilkshire moving towards the top of the box and threads the pass to the Australian. Without hesitation, Wilkshire laces his drive from the edge of the box past the Gillingham keeper to make it 1-1. We then proceed to dominate Gillingham but we cannot find the killer punch to take the lead and, as is typical, we concede the next goal on 83 minutes as Whittington finds acres of space in our defence and powers a drive past Kuipers to make it 2-1. icon_frown.gif Privately, I’m disappointed with our play on the two goals and philosophical about the likely result. However, Arturo Lupoli has the final say in proceedings when on 89 minutes, he takes up the pass from fellow Italian Dino Sangiovanni and fires it past the Gillingham keeper to save a point. icon_smile.gif

Gillingham (4-4-2): Brown; Johnson, Henderson (Whittington 62), Hope, Nosworthy; Payne, Crofts, Spiller ©, Pouton; Milne (Boertien 61), Facey (Pritchard 61).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Virgo, Spector, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Barry-Murphy (Sangiovanni 83), Beaumont, Wilkshire, Oster (Walcott 62); Delgado (Lupoli 62).

Final score: Gillingham 2:2 Brighton

MoM – James Beaumont

5th of August 2007

Chelsea continues its streak of winning trophies by claiming the Community Shield 2-1 over Arsenal, thanks to a brace from Dimitar Berbatov in the first half.

7th of August 2007

Championship – Game 2: Brighton v Nottingham Forest

Despite playing our second game of the season only three days after our first, I chose to go in with an unchanged line-up for our fixture against pre-season contender, Nottingham Forest. I’m surprised, however, to be advised by the club that the match needs to be played at the Withdean Stadium, having been previously advised that the Falmer is ready to go. I make a mental note after the match to have a word with the Chairman to find out what’s going on.

We make a terrific start to the game when on 6 minutes, El-Abd launches a ball down the right flank to the wide-open Oster. The Welsh winger crosses into the box looking for Delgado, the natural target-man, and Rozenhal heads the ball away, towards the corner line. However, the ball comes to a halt, allowing Oster to reach the ball and find the unmarked Delgado able to hit his shot past the Forest keeper, while Rozenhal and his fellow centre-half are off picking flowers somewhere. icon_smile.gif Mikael Forssell and Keigan Parker trouble Kuipers on occasion, but we reach half-time with the scoreline still reading 1-0 in our favour.

After the interval, where I’ve told the boys that a second goal would kill off the contest, Barry-Murphy presents substitute Arturo Lupoli with the perfect opportunity to score his second in two games when Barry-Murphy nicks the ball off the toe of Müller and with nobody within cooee of Lupoli, the Italian has the time to waltz into the penalty box and pick his spot, which he does adroitly. icon14.gif That’s 2-0 on 74 minutes, and game over.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Virgo, Spector, El-Abd; Barry-Murphy, Beaumont, Wilkshere (Scimeca 90), Oster (Walcott 71); Delgado (Lupoli 71).

Nottingham Forest (5-3-2): Heinen; Curtis ©; Doig, Rozenhal; Harte (Arango 61), Ifill, Westlake, Knopper, Müller; Forssell (Johnson 71), Parker (Westcarr 61).

Final score: Brighton 2:0 Nottingham Forest

MoM – Adam El-Abd

After the game, I asked Mr Knight about the status of our stadium. He prevaricated somewhat, but from what I could sift from his answers, it seemed that we needed to play league games in our old stadium for the time being, but cup fixtures could be scheduled to be played in the larger Falmer Stadium. He also admitted that, in order to maximise the club’s potential, the Falmer Stadium still required further expansion.

In better news, we moved up to fifth on the Championship ladder, albeit after just two games of the season.

10th of August 2007

I agree a deal with former Preston defender, Claude Davis. The Jamaican’s move to the Seagulls, however, is contingent upon him being granted a work permit by the Home Office. To be truthful, I wouldn’t be too downcast if we don’t succeed in having the 28 year old join the club, as I think I’m pretty well off as it is for central defenders.

11th of August 2007

Championship – Game 3: Sunderland v Brighton

Our third game of the season and in the space of seven days, took us to the northeast of London and in particular to the Stadium of Light. Unfortunately, the Sunderland defence was well-marshalled by Gareth Southgate and afforded little room to either Agustín Delgado or Arturo Lupoli when the Italian replaced the Ecuadorian in the second half. The game was settled by a first-half goal to the most average of strikers, Kevin Kyle on 28 minutes, who found sufficient space inside our penalty box to guide his shot past Kuipers and to ripple the back of our net. icon_frown.gif James Beaumont had a beautiful opportunity to rescue a point late in the game, but his shot was partially smothered and Southgate expertly disposed of the ball before Lupoli could reach the rebound. It was the first time in 2007 that we had lost a match in the league and I told the boys that they could be proud of what they had done to date. Nonetheless, to concede a goal to such an average player like Kevin Kyle was something I hope would grate upon the players as we look for redemption at home next weekend.

Sunderland (4-4-2): Walker; Livermore, Southgate ©, Doumbe; Lynch; Sweeney (Gilbert 79), Whitehead, Healy (Brown 72), Lawrence; Kyle, Elliott (Thornton 72).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Virgo, Spector, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Barry-Murphy (Sangiovanni 58), Beaumont, Wilkshire, Oster (Walcott 82); Delgado (Lupoli 58).

Final score: Sunderland 1:0 Brighton

MoM – Kevin Kyle

The loss dropped us back down to tenth position.

Luigi Di Biagio telephones me after the game to advise me that a 15 year old Italian he’s been tracking, Roberto Bambi, has agreed schoolboy terms with Brighton and will fly to England tomorrow to commence work with the U-18s. I mention to Bob Booker that he needs to find a family for Bambi to room with and a school to enrol him in. Bob tells me he’ll get on it immediately. Bambi is a midfielder most comfortable playing in the centre or on the right. He has tremendous bags of pace and Luigi believes that he has plenty of potential.

12th of August 2007

A day after he telephoned me concerning Robert Bambi, Luigi Di Biagio is back on the phone to me, advising that Gennaro Bernardi, a 16 year old right midfielder with plenty of potential (according to Luigi), has accepted Brighton’s offer of schoolboy terms and will join us in England shortly. I advise Bob to put all arrangements in place for the young Italian.

13th of August 2007

A fillip for Adam Virgo, as the Scottish defender is named in the Championship Team of the Week today.

14th of August 2007

Cozzolino unhappy at the Seagulls

Italian striker Guiseppe Cozzolino told The Argus yesterday that he was finding it difficult to accept that he wasn’t Brighton’s first choice striker this season. The former Lecce striker, signed on New Year’s Day by manager, Senor Flatline, considers himself to be a certain starter at comparable clubs and cannot understand why the manager continues to overlook his case for selection. He concluded his interview by saying, in no uncertain terms, that unless things changed quickly, he would have no option but to see if he could find a new club appreciative of his talents.

The cheek! He’s not out of contract this season, so I’m prepared to make him sweat things out in the reserves for a while. He had plenty of opportunities in pre-season to make a solid impression, and he failed to do so, so I consider that his best option would be to take a spell on loan at a lower club to build confidence in himself, before returning to press Delgado for the starting position. At this rate, however, he’s unlikely to find himself a home at the Falmer for much longer. icon_mad.gif

However, my coaches are in heated agreement that they all view the Italian as an integral part of the squad already and the general thrust of their comments is that I should be giving him plenty of time on the pitch in Brighton’s colours. Perhaps I’ve been too hasty?

16th of August 2007

Luigi Di Biagio’s good work in Italy continues, as upon his recommendation, I sign young attacking right back, Michele Gritti on a free transfer. The 16 year old will need to learn a new position, but he seems to be quite impressive and comes with Luigi’s recommendation. Bob Booker is assigned the task of finding a family for Gritti to board with, and a school for the young Italian to attend.

18th of August 2007

Championship – Game 4: Brighton v Manchester City

Against a club relegated at the back of last season and favoured to gain instant promotion back to the English Premier League, I knew we were going to be in for a long afternoon. I made one change to the side that lost to Sunderland, with Barry-Murphy giving way to Theo Walcott, with John Oster swapping flanks.

However, Kuipers was by far the busiest man on the pitch as City hammered at his goal relentlessly. Some of the saves made by the Dutchman were inspirational in their nature, with Kuipers flinging himself this way and that to deny City time and again. Our cause was also not helped by some over-officious refereeing from the man in charge this afternoon, who dished out a number of yellow cards (mostly to my players) inside the first ten minutes to ‘stamp his authority’ over the game. I felt that the refereeing disrupted our rhythm and so we allowed City to control the game for too long.

Somehow we made it to half-time with our goal still intact. I emphasised to the players at the break that it was still eleven versus eleven and we could still have the opportunity to nick the points if we were brave and backed ourselves. Unfortunately, it was from one of our sorties forward that City finally broke our resistance. Wilkshire’s corner on 58 minutes was cleared away without much trouble. Ashley Grimes took the ball away from City’s defence and evaded the tackle of Jonathan Spector, who had gone forward for the corner. With Spector on the floor, Grimes gave the ball to Bradley Wright-Phillips, who raced towards the by-line before cutting a short pass to Mikael Nilsson. The Swede saw Grimes unmarked on the top of the box and he lashed home a drive past the despairing Kuipers. icon_frown.gif

Seven minutes later, and the points were made safe for City (if they were ever in doubt) when a simple move allowed Jagielka to nod the ball down for Wright-Phillips to sweep past Kuipers and make it 2-0 to the bad guys. Arturo Lupoli, on for a very disappointing Delgado, had an opportunity to score a consolation goal towards the end of the game, but the hitherto untested City keeper, Juan Carlos Olave, made a fairly regulation stop to prevent us from even grabbing a late goal.

A bad day all round.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Virgo, Spector, El-Abd; Ãlvarez; Oster (Sangiovanni 60), Beaumont, Wilkshire, Walcott (Scimeca 76); Delgado (Lupoli 60).

Manchester City (4-4-2): Olave; Collins, Boulahrouz, Dunne ©, Pamarot; Elliott (Sibierski 59), Diop, Flood, Nilsson (Jagielka 59); Wright-Phillips, Kanouté (Grimes 29).

Final score: Brighton 0:2 Manchester City

MoM – Papa Bouba Diop

The loss, our second on the bounce, dropped us down to 16th in the Championship. Morale is plummeting as the players begin to realise that they might have a fight on their hands to stave off relegation, after all. To try to counter-act that somewhat, I tell the press after the game that I saw the chances of Sammy Lee’s club being promoted as being ‘extremely high’, but it doesn’t seem to really lift the spirits of the players in the dressing room.

We have a League Cup encounter with Bristol Rovers in a few days – hopefully the match against much weaker opposition will do something to increase morale, especially if we rack up a nice win. Of course, knowing our luck, it could turn into a real banana skin.

Delgado too old?

Fans have been whispering in the pubs and restaurants of Brighton and have been posting messages on the internet forums one anxious item: is Ecuadorian striker Agustín Delgado too old?

Last season, the Ecuadorian took League One by storm when he signed for the Seagulls on New Year’s Day, but today’s woeful performance and only one goal in four games have raised questions amongst the Brighton fans. Coupled with the dissatisfaction of Italian striker Guiseppe Cozzolino and the promise of both Arturo Lupoli and Elis Kraja, and some Brighton supporters are wondering why the manager continues to persist with Delgado if he is not capable of doing the job in the Championship.

19th of August 2007

Fernando Torres joins Fiorentina on a free transfer. The Florence-based club has secured perhaps the bargain of the season.

20th of August 2007

“Tell me, Malcolm, what’s the damage,†I ask my chief physio. Malcolm Stuart replies, “Well, Brian has damaged his shoulder. I’d say he’s likely to be out of training for at least a fortnight, boss.â€

It’s a little concerning to be without Brian Barry-Murphy for a fortnight. Apart from some schoolboys currently learning the arts in the U-18s, I only have Kerry Mayo who can play at left back. Unfortunately, both the limited funds in my transfer kitty and the restrictions on wages placed upon me by the board means I don’t have very many options to go buy a new left back in the marketplace.

Another call from Luigi pleases me with some good news as another young Italian is to join Brighton. Ismaele Solinas is a 17 year old forward who has good skills with the ball at his feet and a good ability to head the ball. Luigi Di Biagio believes that Ismaele is a good prospect for the club, and I’m inclined to agree with him.

21st of August 2007

Bob Booker draws my attention to another article in The Argus featuring an interview with Guiseppe Cozzolino. The Italian striker again vents his frustration publicly that he is playing reserves football and believes that he should be playing for the first team. If he keeps this up, he’ll be playing for another club before too long.

22nd of August 2007

Carling Cup Cup – 1st Round: Brighton v Bristol Rovers

The last time we played Bristol Rovers, we needed a replay and still only squeaked through to the next round. However, in our first competitive fixture in the new Community Stadium at Falmer, I was determined to give the fans a good show…

Seagulls blitz the Rovers with a six goal haul

Brighton manager, Senor Dixie Flatline, after today’s game hailed the performance of Agustín Delgado after the Ecuadorian striker scored a hat-trick in Brighton’s 6-0 win over League Two side Bristol Rovers.

Following the game, Senor Flatline said to the media at the Falmer Community Stadium, “Yes, Bristol Rovers are two divisions below us, but it remains eleven players on eleven players and we were conscious of the fact that Rovers had taken us to a replay last season. To see Delgado bounce back with a hat-trick is very heartening and I was also pleased with the performances of James Beaumont and Luke Wilkshire, who deservedly scored a brace, too. I thought Lupoli was unlucky not to be credited with the goal that they gave to the Rovers’ keeper, but all in all, I’m proud of the way my players responded after a couple of poor games in the last fortnight.â€

Delgado set Brighton on its way on 24 minutes after James Beaumont played a beautiful ball through the heart of the Rovers defence for the advantage of the Ecuadorian, who rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into an empty net. He doubled his tally – and Brighton’s lead – just two minutes later when American defender Jonathan Spector launched a ball towards the powerful striker, who peeled off his marker for a split second and buried the shot past Wilkinson, the Rovers keeper. Just before half-time, and Australian midfielder Luke Wilkshire added his name to the scoresheet after being played through by another excellent pass from James Beaumont. Wilkshire confused Wilkinson, feinting one way before shooting the other and Brighton could enjoy its half-time refreshments.

However, there would be no let-up for Rovers after the break, with Wilkshire pouncing at the near post on 50 minutes to slam home Delgado’s flick from Mayo’s long throw. On 55 minutes, Delgado completed his hat-trick when Italian winger Dino Sangiovanni crossed from the left side to the advantage of the Ecuadorian, whose powerful header gave Wilkinson no chance. Delgado and Bisgaard, playing his first game for the season, gave way to Lupoli and Oster on the hour mark, but there was time for a sixth goal when Lupoli headed Scimeca’s long cross towards goal and saw the ball squirm beneath Wilkinson and into the Bristol Rovers’ net. It was officially credited as an own-goal to the Rovers’ keeper.

Senor Flatline said, “It was a good result, and we need to build upon it with our visit to Bramall Lane on the weekend. Playing Sheffield United will be a different proposition to hosting Rovers this evening, but momentum is a powerful thing in football and I hope we can take the positives from our display today and give the Blades a real shake.â€

That was a great match to watch. The players executed everything to perfection and I was pleased with the fight shown by Delgado, particularly after he picked up a needless booking early in the first half. I was also impressed by the contributions of James Beaumont, who was the architect of so many of our goals, and Luke Wilkshire, who bagged a brace for himself and was also very useful in spreading the play.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Adler; Mayo, Purse, Virgo ©, Spector; Nicolas; Sangiovanni, Beaumont (Scimeca 78), Wilkshire, Bisgaard (Oster 61); Delgado (Lupoli 61).

Bristol Rovers (4-4-2): Wilkinson; Adams (Anderson 51), Duku, Hinton, Sambrook; Savage (Trollope 55), Disley, Campbell, Gibb; Agogo (Haldane 90), Walker ©.

Final score: Brighton 6:0 Bristol Rovers

MoM – Agustín Delgado

Thanks, d_s. The signings look to be working out rather well at this (early) stage.

After the game, Bob Booker advises me of the results in the reserves and U-18 fixtures played simultaneously: “Boss, the reserves did pretty well, beating Plymouth’s reserves 3-1 at Woodside Road in Worthing. Oatway scored a brace and Elis Kraja grabbed the third goal in injury time at the end of the game. Regillio Vrede marshalled the defence really well and I think enjoyed being captain for the evening. Unfortunately, the U-18s didn’t fair so well – they lost 4-1 to Bournemouth at Fawcetts Field in New Milton. Kevin Morris put us in the lead on 32 minutes but we collapsed after that. Roberto Bambi suffered a bruised rib early in the game and needed to be substituted.â€

There was one more thing to do before I could find sleep and that was to take a late call from a hard-working Luigi Di Biagio who recommended to me yet another unsigned Italian youngster. Emiliano Grassi is a 16 year old right back and Luigi urged me to take a closer look at the boy. With Bob Booker, I examined the videos Luigi had posted to YouTube of Grassi in action, and we both agreed that for his age, he certainly had some talent. I called Luigi back and asked about the terms Emiliano wanted. Luigi outlined them, and I authorised Luigi to deduct £10 per week from the weekly wage of £45 per week that Emiliano wanted, and to halve the automatic wage increase from 10% to 5% per annum.

With that, after a very fruitful day on which we had christened the new Stadium and had banked £20,000 for advancing to the next round in the Carling Cup, it was time to catch up on some sleep.

24th of August 2007

The Home Office denies Claude Davis a work permit and thus his move to Brighton on a free transfer is put on hold. I instruct the lawyers to appeal the decision and we should have the result of the appeal on Monday, 27th of August 2007.

In the evening, I settle down to watch the European Super Cup, which pits Chelsea (as European Champion) against Barcelona (as winner of the UEFA Cup). Barcelona’s Edmilson and Samuel Eto’o score in the first half to register Barcelona’s 2-0 win over Chelsea, who is further disadvantaged by injuries to Xabi Alonso and Petr Cech.

25th of August 2007

On the way up to Sheffield for today’s game against the Blades, I’m advised that the Seagulls are drawn to play Huddersfield, who is in League One, in the second round of the League Cup on Tuesday, 18th of September 2007.

The U-18s still have some work to do, as they’re beaten 2-0 by Gravesend and Northfleet U-18s.

Championship – Game 5: Sheffield United v Brighton

Three games in the league lost in a row. Sheffield United put two goals past Kuipers in the first half, mainly thanks to absolutely woeful defending at set pieces. The first goal is scored when Harley’s corner is flicked on by Morris at the near post and before Kuipers can dive on the loose ball, Quinn pokes it into the net on just 5 minutes. icon_frown.gif On 38 minutes, Lundekvam rattles the cross-bar with his header and the rebound is turned in by Heffernan before any of my defenders can react. We seem bereft of ideas in how to challenge the Blades’ defence and we don’t even test Scott Carson, the Blades’ keeper. icon_mad.gif

Sheffield United (4-4-2): Carson; Harley, Hill ©, Lundekvam, Geary; Vaughan, Etuhu (Montgomery 62), Quinn, Turner; Morris (Beckett 62), Earnshaw (Heffernan 31).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Purse, Virgo, Spector; Ãlvarez; Oster (Walcott 65), Beaumont, Wilkshire (Scimeca 77), Bisgaard; Delgado (Lupoli 77).

Final score: Sheffield United 2:0 Brighton

MoM – Jonathan Spector

The loss shakes our fragile morale, artificially enhanced by our win over Bristol Rovers, and we sink to a season-low of twentieth on the Championship ladder. Next up, a match we’re tipped to win, against high-flying Swindon (predicted in pre-season to be battling relegation, but currently sitting prettily in second place).

After the match, I speak privately to John Oster for a few moments. He was very peripheral during the game when I had hoped he could use his ability down the channel to give his opponent full-back some heartache and release the pressure on our defence. He is non-committal about the poor performance, so I issue him with an official warning. I don’t like to do that to my players, but at 28 years of age and with 20 international caps under his belt, I believe I’m entitled to better. Oster believes that my warning is harsh, but I still feel entitled to give him that warning.

I also take the opportunity to contact the agent of Cypriot international midfielder Alexis Nicolas to open talks on a new contract. Nicolas’ agent says that his client wants £4,000 per week to remain at the club for the next three seasons. Given that he’s hardly playing and he seems to be consistently moaning, my assistant manager and I are in heated agreement that there’s not much point trying to reach agreement with him on a weekly wage that is £500 per week more than I’m permitted to pay by the board. I instruct Bob to open negotiations with the three clubs that appear to be interested in him to see if they will nibble on a deal that sees him move now and give me some money to play with in order to strengthen the side.

26th of August 2007

Grassi agrees to join the club, so I leave it to Bob and Luigi to organise his requirements.

27th of August 2007

The Home Office denies our appeal over the work permit for Claude Davis, so the Jamaican’s transfer to Brighton is unfortunately cancelled.

28th of August 2007

Championship – Game 6: Brighton v Swindon

Seagulls snap losing streak

Brighton manager, Senor Flatline, greeted the final siren with palpable relief after seeing his players take the lead on the half-hour mark, only to see the equaliser conceded ten minutes after half-time before Arturo Lupoli came off the bench to score the winning goal 8 minutes from time. It was a nervy time for the former Owls manager as Swindon, riding high in the league in second place before today’s match, played with confidence and verve, notwithstanding the set-back.

Senor Flatline made a number of changes to his side, leaving out Agustín Delgado, John Oster and Morten Bisgaard from the side that lost to Sheffield United on the weekend. Guiseppe Cozzolino, Patrick Bexfield and Stephen O’Donnell all made their first appearance for the season. It was the Italian striker, Cozzolino who opened proceedings for the home side on 30 minutes, courtesy of a defence-splitting pass from American defender Jonathan Spector, who timed the ball forward to perfection, allowing Cozzolino to run on to the ball before the Swindon keeper could reach it. Cozzolino side-stepped David Preece and rolled the ball into the empty net for his first ever goal for Brighton since joining on New Year’s Day 2007.

However, Brighton never really looked comfortable defending the 1-0 lead and although half-time was reached without conceding, it seemed just to be a matter of time before Swindon was on level terms once more. Rory Fallon was the man to deliver the equaliser, coming on 55 minutes when he flicked the long cross from Sheehan past the wrong-footed Kuipers, notwithstanding the close attentions from Virgo and Spector in the Brighton defence. Yet, Brighton never gave up the chase and substitute Arturo Lupoli showed his promise as a world-class striker when the on-loan striker timed his run to perfection to break Swindon’s off-side trap, take Wilkshire’s pass in his stride then slide it past Preece on 82 minutes.

Swindon threw everything at the Brighton defence in search of an equaliser, but with Senor Flatline pacing the technical area in agony, his players defied the odds to secure their second league win of the season and to ease away from the relegation zone, for the moment.

That was a heart-stopper and I’m sure I’m going to be involved in a few more of those as the season progresses. However, we looked a lot better than we did against the Blades on the weekend, and I was particularly pleased to see Patrick Bexfield, in his first competitive game for the Seagulls, so involved down the left flank. Wilkshire stood up and delivered some magnificent passes throughout the game, including the pass that teed up Lupoli for the match-winner, while the Italian duo of Cozzolino and Lupoli both seized their chances when necessary. At least for a little while, we can savour this win and the three important points we receive for it.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Mayo, Purse, Virgo (Scimeca 59), Spector; Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont, Wilkshire, O’Donnell (Walcott 90); Cozzolino (Lupoli 59).

Swindon (4-4-2): Preece; Duke, Haywood, O’Hanlon, Sheehan (Nicholas 67); Smith, Hewlett, Southern © (Dempster 79), Bell; Fallon, Keene (Lewis 67).

Final score: Brighton 2:1 Swindon

MoM – Luke Wilkshire

The win takes us up to sixteenth position on the Championship ladder after six games, with seven points, three clear of Derby in the highest relegation zone position. We have a tough match in London, on television, against Queens Park Rangers on the weekend next time out.

29th of August 2007

Giacomo Liamberti is the next Italian youngster plucked from obscurity by Luigi Di Baigio and sent up to Brighton to further his future education. The 17 year old left-sided midfielder is ecstatic to agree terms with the Seagulls and I once more leave it to Bob and Luigi to sort out the finer details of his move to and settlement in Brighton.

In the evening, I wander down to watch the Reserves take on Exeter’s Reserves at Woodside Road in Worthing. I might not have bothered really – it’s a drab 0-0 draw.

30th of August 2007

Hot on the heels of Liamberti joining Brighton is another young Italian winger plucked out of the back streets of Italy by Luigi Di Biagio. Ivan Di Francesco is a right-sided midfielder who could have a big future in front of him, if everything goes according to plan.

Michele Pinna is a 17 year old defensive midfielder who comes highly recommended by Luigi Di Biagio. My contract offer to him is also found to be acceptable. Once more, Bob Booker is busy organising accommodation, school enrolments and the like for our latest arrivals.

1st of September 2007

I meet with the board for the first time since the season commenced in earnest and Mr Knight advises me that they consider I’m still doing a very good job, so they’re delighted with my performance to date. Given that we have managed to win two Championship fixtures and drawn another one to keep us clear of relegation for the moment, I should hope they’re pleased with the results.

Mr Knight tells me that James Beaumont has been nominated as first runner-up in the Championship Player of the Month award, so we go down to the training pitch where Bob is overseeing training. I stop training for a couple of moments to present James with his award. He’s pleased to receive it, and I’m pleased for him, for while Luke Wilkshire has been hitting the back of the net on a number of occasions, it’s been James who has been really pulling the strings on a consistent basis from midfield. The ex-Forest man (who spent a season in the Premier League a few years back) has really adopted to life in the south of the country and is enjoying some of his best football of recent times.

Mr Knight then takes out another award from his briefcase and hands it to me. Taking a look at the name inscribed on it, I call Jonathan Spector over from where he’s working with the other defenders. He’s been awarded the Young Player of the Month award for August 2007 after some terrific performances for us in the first month of the season. The American accepts the award with grace and humility.

I’m also pleased for Adam Virgo. The 24 year old defender is a late call-up to the Scottish international side and has an opportunity to make his full international debut. John Oster and Agustín Delgado are also likely to represent Wales and Ecuador respectively.

Thanks Pickles. Much appreciated.

Bob Booker keeps me up to date with the performances of our internationals in the afternoon and evening. Delgado plays 63 minutes for Ecuador, but his country finishes with only 9 men and on the wrong end of a 5-0 hammering by Brazil in the South American World Cup qualifiers. In the evening, as England romps to a 4-0 win over Romania at New Wembley (in keeping with their newfound status as the best country in the world thanks to winning the 2006 World Cup and the 2007 Confederations Cup), John Oster plays the last 30 minutes in Wales’ 3-0 win over Lithuania, but Alexis Nicolas cops the spiky end of the pineapple as Cyprus is hit for six by the Czech Republic – Borussia Moenchengladbach’s Czech striker Vaclav Sverkos scored four goals and Tomas Rosicky of Juventus made three of the six goals scored.

3rd of September 2007

I’m very happy for Jonathan Spector, Luke Wilkshire and James Beaumont, who are all named in the Championship Team of the Week.

4th of September 2007

Nicolas remains a Seagull until 2009

Cypriot international, Alexis Nicolas, has signalled his intention to continue his career with the Albion for at least the next two seasons after agreeing a new deal with chairman, Mr Dick Knight, at the Falmer Community Stadium.

Nicolas had been free to leave Brighton on a free transfer at the end of the season, after his current contract expired, but the midfielder said that he was ‘happy’ at the Seagulls and was looking forward to playing a prominent role in the club remaining a Championship club for the foreseeable future. Senor Flatline said that he was happy that the talented Cypriot had chosen to put loyalty to the club above other considerations and believed that Nicolas would play an influential role in ensuring that Brighton did its utmost to remain a Championship club.

Alexis’ agent was looking for a pay-packet of £4,000 per week, but I managed to convince Alexis to stay at the same wage of £3,100 per week, with the pay-off that he now has a minimum release clause triggered if £500,000 is offered to us for him (an amount I’d gladly take at the moment), along with a 10% wage rise on promotion and a 10% wage drop on relegation.

5th of September 2007

More international matches are played mid-week. Bob Booker keeps me up to date with the progress of our Brighton stars: “Boss, Agustín Delgado bounced back after Ecuador was beaten 5-0 by Brazil to set up a goal for Nestor Caicedo with a flick-on from Jose Luis Sanchez’s clearance on 23 minutes. Ecuador went on to win the match against Bolivia 2-1. John Oster came on after 66 minutes for Wales as they beat Finland 3-1 in Helsinki. Alexis Nicolas played the full 90 minutes for Cyprus, but they went down 2-0 to Greece in Athens.â€

“Thanks, Bob. No injuries, I hope?â€

“None, boss. Everybody seems to have come through the matches okay.â€

“That’s a relief. Tough match against QPR on the weekend and I want all my senior players available to me for selection.â€

8th of September 2007

Ahead of tomorrow’s televised game with QPR, their manager, Mark Hateley, tells the press that ‘morale is extremely high in the Rangers’ dressing rooms and I should forget about trying any mind games’.

I wouldn’t dream of it, Mark. That’s why when I’m asked for a response, I tell local BBC radio that, while others might think that Mark is a useless manager, I believe that Rangers have done well with Mark in charge and they should go from strength to strength – after Sunday.

9th of September 2007

Championship – Game 7: Queens Park Rangers v Brighton

Securing the win over Swindon seems to have given my squad a lot of confidence. With Kerry Mayo straining his neck somewhat badly during training in the week, I’m forced to bring back Brian Barry-Murphy into the eleven. Notwithstanding Cozzolino’s goal in our game against Swindon, I decide to bring back Agustín Delgado as striker, while John Oster finds a place on the bench at the expense of Theo Walcott.

With high levels of morale running through the squad, it’s unsurprising to see us dominate the early exchanges, with Wilkshire and Beaumont particularly prominent in the middle of the park. Our good work is rewarded on 43 minutes when a poor clearance by Rangers’ left-back Gino Padula tees up Delgado as well as he could have expected. The Ecuadorian international doesn’t waste that type of opportunity and calmly slams the ball into the bottom left corner of the Rangers net to give us a 1-0 lead at half-time.

However, Rangers improve their level of play in the second half and their deserved equaliser arrives on 70 minutes. Kuipers keeps out the initial shot from Haworth but the rebound falls kindly to Stephen Clemence. The son of Ray crosses the ball across the six yard box to where Jamie Cureton has arrived ahead of his marker, and Cureton has a simple tap-in to complete. icon_frown.gif The match finishes all-square and I feel somewhat deflated with that result, notwithstanding that had I been advised before the game that we’d end up with a point, I would have felt pleased with the result. Nonetheless, I told the players after the game that I believed we had had sufficient opportunity to make sure of the points and that they should look upon it as two points dropped, rather than a point gained. Judging by how many of the players felt, I think my words fell on fertile soil. Let’s hope for all three points at home against Ipswich next weekend.

To make things worse, John Oster came on as a substitute in the second half, and then had to be taken from the field with just a couple of moments to go with a bad knee injury. The Welsh international hasn’t been in my good books of recent times, but I can ill-afford an injury to such an important and experienced player.

Queens Park Rangers (4-4-2): Jeynes; Padula (Quinn 70), Munn, Rose, Bignot; Cook, Kaku, Bean (Clemence 22), Rowlands ©; Cureton, Halford (Haworth 61).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Spector; Ãlvarez; Bexfield (Oster 67 (Scimeca 88)), Beaumont, Wilkshire, O’Donnell; Delgado (Lupoli 67).

Final score: Queens Park Rangers 1:1 Brighton

MoM – Michel Kuipers

Oster is taken to a nearby hospital for scans on his damaged knee. After I finish my media commitments and have debriefed the players, Malcolm Stuart and I immediately repair to the hospital and check in on Oster’s condition. It’s not good – Oster has broken his knee cap and will miss a month of football.

12th of September 2007

I wander down to Worthing Road to watch the Brighton Reserves, under the management of Bob Booker, take on Carlisle’s reserves. I’m pleased to see the Reserves hammer Carlisle reserves 5-0, with Pinna, Kraja, Solinas (two) and Vrede all putting their names on the scoresheet.

15th of September 2007

Championship – Game 8: Brighton v Ipswich

Delgado brace fires Brighton to easy victory

Agustín Delgado enjoyed a powerful afternoon in the Ipswich box, heading home two goals from set pieces as Brighton humbled hitherto high-flying Ipswich Town. The Tractor Boys came to Withdean Stadium in fifth position on the Championship ladder, but fell to eleventh after they succumbed to a 3-0 win at the hands of the Seagulls. Stephen O’Donnell’s pinpoint corners were all it took for Delgado to have two goals by half-time and to put Brighton in an unassailable position. Patrick Bexfield added the icing on the cake with his first goal for the Albion on 67 minutes and, notwithstanding the stats that suggested that Ipswich had the greater opportunities, Brighton was never troubled on a red-letter day for manager, Senor Dixie Flatline. Darren Purse and Adam Virgo superbly marshalled the Brighton defence, restricting Ipswich to long-range efforts and although Ipswich had 12 shots at goal, none of them were on target.

After the match, Ipswich manager, David Platt admitted that his side was second best throughout: “Brighton made the running today, and good luck to them. They were simple goals to concede and I was disappointed with the lads that they had let Delgado score twice with free headers at the back post from corners. Brighton don’t usually score from corners, so I’m sure they’re chuffed with the result. Bexfield’s goal was icing on the cake, really, and I can have no complaints about the result.â€

Brighton manager, Senor Flatline, was in exuberant mood: “We were disappointed, really, to take only a point from our last game against Queens Park Rangers, so we saw this afternoon as a real opportunity. The last time we played Ipswich, we were outclassed and they’re a good side. However, O’Donnell’s delivery from the corners was tailor-made for Delgado and Bexfield chimed in with a nice goal to round off a good team effort. This gives us some momentum and we’re pleased with the way things are going.â€

With goals coming on 21 and 37 minutes, both from the head of Delgado, both created by O’Donnell’s corners, and both coming against the run of play, I could afford to be relaxed at half-time. To be truthful, I was about to take Bexfield off because he could hardly find the ball but he timed his run into the box to perfection and benefited from a beautiful pass from James Beaumont. I’m pleased with this result. The only downside is that Agustín Delgado picked up a heavy knock and will not play in our Carling Cup game against Huddersfield on Tuesday evening next.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Spector; Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont, Wilkshire, O’Donnell; Delgado (Lupoli 69).

Ipswich (3-5-2): Davis; Nash, De Vos, Taylor; Jackson (Richards 61), Horlock (Peters 69), Miller, Beveridge, Danns (Nicholls 69); Kuqi ©, Paul.

Final score: Brighton 3:0 Ipswich

MoM – Stephen O’Donnell

The win pushes us up to thirteenth position on the Championship ladder, while Ipswich tumbles from fifth down to eleventh.

It’s also good news from the reserves, as they chalk up an easy 3-0 win over Crawley Town reserves at the Crawley Stadium. I’m advised that Dino Sangiovanni was the standout player, as he racked up a hat-trick of assists, laying on goals for Shaun Adams (an amateur) in the first minute, Mark Smyth just before half-time and Elis Kraja on 47 minutes.

17th of September 2007

Stephen O’Donnell is named in the Championship Team of the Week.

18th of September 2007

Carling Cup – 2nd round: Huddersfield v Brighton

The future’s so bright, we’ll have to wear shades

Seagulls supporters were treated to a glimpse of the future with several young players taking centre stage in the Albion’s 2-0 win over League One side Huddersfield at the Galpharm Stadium this evening. Theo Walcott and Arturo Lupoli (on loan from Arsenal) combined in the 12th minute of the game to allow the Italian striker to score with a fine drive from the edge of the box into the far corner, giving the Huddersfield keeper no chance. Twelve minutes from time, substitute Stephen O’Donnell (on for the injured Theo Walcott) and 17 year old Patrick Bexfield combined to set up Guiseppe Cozzolino, and the 22 year old Italian striker made no mistake from inside the penalty box.

I decided once more to give a few of the fringe players a run-out this afternoon, so there were a number of changes made from the side that had obliterated Ipswich on the weekend. I rested Kuipers, Spector, O’Donnell and Delgado from the first eleven, with Delgado not even retaining a place on the bench (to his dismay, mind you), and entrusted passage through to the third round of the Carling Cup to the likes of Adler, El-Abd, Theo Walcott and Arturo Lupoli, making his first start for Brighton since joining the club on loan from the Gunners in the summer. I was gratified with the progress my younger players had made, with Walcott particularly prominent in the early stages, before being forced from the field with what turned out to be a badly gashed leg. In fact, I’d go so far as saying that the 2-0 scoreline flattered Huddersfield a little bit by the end of the match.

Huddersfield (4-4-2): Pidgeley; Lloyd (Holdsworth 61), Mirfin, Carruthers, Ward; McPhail ©, McClen, Sheridan (Reeves 61), Brandon; Mendes (McAliskey 73), Abbott.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Adler; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, El-Abd; Ãlvarez ©; Bexfield, Beaumont, Wilkshire, Walcott (O’Donnell 44); Lupoli (Cozzolino 66).

Final score: Huddersfield 0:2 Brighton

MoM – Luke Wilkshire

19th of September 2007

Seagulls chasing Samp defender

We understand that Brighton manager, Senor Dixie Flatline, has expressed strong interest in young Sampdoria defender Ivan Artipoli, sending scouts, including Italy-based scout Luigi Di Biagio, on several occasions to watch the Italian U-21 international. Artipoli, currently on loan to Serie B club Lucchese, is available at the ‘right price’, according to Sampdoria manager, Walter Alfredo Novellino.

It’s true that I’m interested in signing Artipoli, as I see him as a future long-term central defender for the club. My scouts, however, have been rather pessimistic about whether he could offer anything to Brighton, so I’m just watching and waiting developments.

Bob Booker tells me that the reserves chalked up an easy 4-0 win over Barrow reserves at Worthing Road in the afternoon, with Alexis Nicolas and Dino Sangiovanni pressing a strong case for selection in particular. Nicolas (4), Kraja (7) and Solinas (40) put us 3-0 up at half-time, and Vrede added a fourth goal on 67 minutes. Nicolas missed a penalty on 87 minutes.

21st of September 2007

Seagulls go to Old Trafford

The third round of the Carling Cup will see Brighton and Hove Albion travel to Manchester to play the Red Devils. Senor Flatline told The Argus after the draw for the Carling Cup was announced that he looked forward to the challenge of rising to one of England’s most powerful clubs and locking horns with counterpart, Senor Hugo Sanchez, on the 24th of October 2007.

Hopefully, we should spin some money from this tie, although we’re highly unlikely to even challenge Manchester United, currently sitting second on the English Premier League ladder.

22nd of September 2007

Championship – Game 9: Hull City v Brighton

We play the 2006/07 champion of League One at The Circle, with Hull struggling so far to adjust to the greater requirements of the Championship, sitting 18th on the ladder. I revert to my preferred eleven, which means that Adler, El-Abd, Walcott (still recovering from his gashed leg) and Lupoli drop out of the eleven, with Kuipers (as captain), Spector, O’Donnell and Delgado coming back to strengthen the side. Delgado puts us on our way with Beaumont’s assistance. The midfielder breaks clear from the Hull defence, taking a long ball over the top of the defence in his side. He tries to shoot at goal, but the shot deflects off Michael Duberry into Delgado’s path, and the Ecuadorian has no problems banging the shot home on 23 minutes! icon_smile.gif

Duberry then proceeds to be sent off in the second half and with more than 30 minutes left to play, Hull will need to chase the game with only ten men. Kuipers does well to preserve our lead and we hit Hull on the break when on 87 minutes, O’Donnell finds himself in acres of space down the right channel. Purse breaks up the attack, and quickly moves the ball to Riccardo Scimeca. Scimeca finds the creative Sangiovanni, who moves the ball right to O’Donnell. The Scot advances into the box and, ignoring the possibility of squaring the ball to the unmarked Lupoli, places his shot past Russell Hoult to make the points safe.

Hull (4-4-2): Hoult; Edge, Duberry (s/o 59), Bardsley, Kelly (Roberts 67); Ellison (Hinds 59), Cochrane, Fry, Anderson; Walters (McKenzie 45), Smith ©.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Spector; Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont (Scimeca 85), Wilkshire (Sangiovanni 64), O’Donnell; Delgado (Lupoli 85).

Final score: Hull 0:2 Brighton

MoM – James Beaumont

So, after 9 games of the 46-game regular season in the Championship, we have four wins, two draws and three losses, and a positive goal difference. It’s an encouraging start, but we will be tested on the weekend when we play Charlton Athletic in London, as they are the division’s form side, having not lost a game for the last seven fixtures and having won the last three on the trot.

26th of September 2007

“It’s lucky he’s not a regular first-team player, otherwise we would have been in trouble,†says Bob to me as we sit over our coffees in my office following training. I toss Malcolm Stuart’s physio report on my desk and take a sip of my coffee, before saying, “It’s a two-week injury. It’s not worth burning a short-term loan on bringing in back-up.â€

“For Adler? No, it’s not worth it. If Kuipers does injure himself or is sent off, we could always recall Martin from his loan at Greys Athletic.â€

“Hmm,†I say. “I hope it doesn’t have to come to that. Richard Martin is a good sort, but he would be overwhelmed if we had to throw him in the deep end.â€

“Nobody would be prepared to loan us anybody to cover a one- or two-game absence,†Bob says. “Anyway, after Charlton, we have a good fortnight’s break, so Adler can go into rehab and get himself right.â€

“That’s true. I’m just glad it’s not more serious than just a strained groin.â€

“Yep,†says Bob. “Anyway, I have to go to Accrington to guide the reserves in our next game against Accrington’s reserves. By the way, I think you might have a problem emerging with Adam Hinshelwood. He’s not a happy man playing in the reserves, and I think he wants a chance in the first team.â€

“I know. I thought that Adam would have been a shoe-in for the first team at the start of the season, but I’m fairly happy with the back four, and there’s just no room for Adam Hinshelwood, or even Adam El-Abd at the moment. He’s just going to have to be patient.â€

“Okay, boss, you know best. I’ll send you a text message after the game to tell you what happened.â€

Sure enough, a few hours later, while I’m relaxing at home with the Champions’ League on in the background and my daughter asleep in her bed, I receive a text message from Bob telling me that Brighton’s reserves had managed to win 1-0 over Accrington’s reserves thanks to an own goal. Bob told me that Morten Bisgaard was a particularly good player, forcing the Accrington defender to concede the own goal on 75 minutes.

29th of September 2007

While I’m in London making final preparations for our match this afternoon against Charlton Athletic, I’m informed that the U-18s knocked up a nice 3-0 win over Harrow Boro U-18s with Kevin Morris, the U-18 captain, in particularly prominent form. That’s a good fillip for the senior side.

Championship – Game 10: Charlton v Brighton

I’m still shaking after this match. Going into the game, Charlton were heavily backed as overwhelming favourites, but I’m proud of the way my players took on and, by and large, beat their more fancied opponents. It’s just a pity we could not go on to secure all three points, but had you told me prior to the game that we would at least not leave London empty-handed, then I would have taken it without any compunction whatsoever.

Charlton tried very hard to take the lead early in the game, but we withstand the onslaught and then begin to fashion some useful possession for us. My emphasis on finding players in the off-season who know how to pass the ball pays off when, a moment or two before half-time, Wilkshire and O’Donnell combine to bring the ball out of defence, once Jonathan Spector has cleared the ball out of our defensive zone, and O’Donnell bends a ball for Delgado to take in his stride. The Ecuadorian international holds off two desperate Charlton defenders to fire past Dean Kiely to open the scoring on the stroke of half-time! icon_biggrin.gif

Charlton are a strong side and are favoured for good reason. Kuipers is given a good working-over in the second half and we eventually concede a deserved equaliser to Onome Sodje on 81 minutes when former Arsenal winger Jermaine Pennant finds a way past Spector down the left channel before crossing low and hard for Sodje to turn home past Kuipers. icon_frown.gif We almost concede a second goal right at the death when Purse picks off Kishishev’s long pass aimed for Sodje and lays it back for Kuipers, who doesn’t expect it to roll so slowly to him. The ball evades Kuipers, but Virgo was also tracking back and hooks the ball away before it can cross the line and we come away from The Valley with a hard-earned point.

Charlton (4-4-2): Kiely; Hriedarsson, El Karkouri, Young, Kishishev; Weston (Pennant 61), Holland ©, Antar (Cole 61), Hughes; Jeffers, Lisbie (Sodje 73).

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Spector; Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont, Wilkshire (Scimeca 74), O’Donnell; Delgado (Lupoli 74).

Final score: Charlton 1:1 Brighton

MoM – James Beaumont

So, after the first ten games of the Championship, we find ourselves in tenth position, on 15 points, although West Ham, who also has 15 points, has a game in hand:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag G.D. Pts

1st Sheff Utd 10 6 3 1 14 6 +8 21

2nd Stoke 10 7 0 3 15 12 +3 21

3rd Nott Forest 10 5 3 2 14 8 +6 18

4th Watford 10 6 0 4 14 12 +2 18

5th Man City 10 5 2 3 17 9 +8 17

6th Brentford 10 5 2 3 15 12 +3 17

7th Charlton 10 4 4 2 13 7 +6 16

8th Preston 10 4 4 2 14 10 +4 16

9th Wigan 10 5 1 4 15 15 0 16

10th Brighton 10 4 3 3 13 10 +3 15

11th West Ham 9 4 3 2 10 7 +3 15

12th Norwich 10 4 2 4 9 9 0 14

13th Derby 10 4 2 4 14 15 -1 14

14th Rotherham 10 3 4 3 10 11 -1 13

15th Ipswich 10 3 4 3 11 14 -3 13

16th Sunderland 10 4 0 6 14 15 -1 12

17th Swindon 10 3 2 5 10 12 -2 11

18th Reading 9 2 4 3 10 13 -3 10

19th QPR 9 1 6 2 7 8 -1 9

20th Gillingham 10 2 3 5 9 12 -3 9

-----------------------------------------------------------------

21st Hull 10 2 3 5 8 14 -6 9

22nd Wolves 10 2 2 6 12 19 -7 8

23rd Burnley 10 2 2 6 5 13 -8 8

24th Bristol C 9 0 3 6 3 13 -10 3

</pre>

30th of September 2007

Bob Booker informs me in the morning that unhappy forward Ismaele Solinas missed training this morning. This will not endear him to me, nor make his prospects of settling in England any easier. I call the young Italian into my office and lay down the law to him, culminating in the issuance of a warning to Solinas. Solinas shows a measure of maturity in accepting the warning and promising me to improve his behaviour.

I settle down on the sofa after lunch to watch QPR host West Ham, and the match finishes with a 1-1 draw at Loftus Road. That moves West Ham up to ninth and drops us down to eleventh after ten games.

1st of October 2007

“Dixie, we’re delighted with what you’ve been able to do so far this season. I don’t think anybody around the table had any right to expect that we would be comfortably mid-table at the moment in the season. Sure, the wage bill is above what we’ve budgeted, but I don’t see us having any problems paying the extra wages provided we’re still safe in the Championship at the end of the season.â€

“Thanks, Mr Knight. It’s been difficult to find the players that fit within my plans, but I think we’re developing a good squad of young players that should secure our future for the next few years.â€

“Well, Dixie, I have another award from the FA here for Jonathan Spector. This is two months in a row that he’s been named the Young Player of the Month in the Championship. It would be nice to secure his place on our roster for a little longer.â€

“Mr Knight,†I said with a smile. “I’d love to have him permanently, as he is a great talent, but unfortunately I don’t think Manchester United is going to let him stay for the sum of £180,000. He’ll also command some big wages.â€

“True,†laughed the Brighton chairman. “Well, we’re looking forward to travelling to Old Trafford later this month. I presume you’ll play the strongest side we can field against United?â€

“I haven’t made up my mind yet, Mr Knight. Clearly, we’ll be going in as major underdogs into this game, and whether I risk injury to my key players in a game we’re unlikely to win depends on how we’re travelling in the Championship. I’m sure you agree, Mr Knight, that making sure we collect as many points as possible before the players in a relegation dogfight sort themselves out, to ensure we’re not sucked into a battle.â€

“Very true, Dixie. Well, we’ll let you go and present the award to Jonathan. Please don’t forget to pass on our regards to him.â€

“Thanks, Mr Knight. I’ll do so.†With that, I take my leave from the directors’ meeting and take the award to the training pitch where I make a short speech in appreciation of Spector’s performances for the club during the month of September 2007.

3rd of October 2007

Bob Booker tells me that the Brighton reserves drew 1-1 with Hartlepool reserves at Worthing Road. Gez Murphy netted on 23 minutes, but we were pegged back on 81 minutes.

5th of October 2007

Bob Booker advises that Mitchell Booth played the full 90 minutes in Wales’ U-21 4-0 win over Malta’s U-21s.

6th of October 2007

With the seniors in recess for the international fortnight, I travel with the U-18s to watch them play Plymouth Argyle’s U-18s. Unfortunately, the match doesn’t go to plan, with the Argyles’ youth racking up an easy 2-0 win. James Atkinson’s second-half red card doesn’t help our cause.

In the evening, our reserves fall 1-0 to Huddersfield Town’s reserves on the road. Robert Price scored the decisive goal on 15 minutes, but a number of performances, particularly from Alexis Nicholas and Adam Hinshelwood stood out, notwithstanding the scoreline at the end of the game.

Bigger news from the internationals, with Hungary rolling back the years to defeat England 2-0 in Budapest.

9th of October 2007

Richard Martin returns from his loan to Grays Athletic, having not played a game.

Bad news from Bob Booker, as he informs me that Mitchell Booth broke his arm in Wales U-21s’ 1-0 win over Italy U-21s. He’ll miss three weeks.

10th of October 2007

Brighton’s reserves defeat Yeovil’s reserves 2-0 at Worthing Road, with Morten Bisgaard and Gary Lovell the stand-out players. In the evening, Alexis Nicholas plays 65 minutes for Cyprus as they lose 3-0 to Ireland in Nicosia.

11th of October 2007

Bob advises me that Ismaele Solinas skipped training again. This is becoming a habit with the young Italian forward and I immediately issue a formal warning for the second time. He’ll be fined the next time he does it, and I make it clear to him that I’m not going to stand for any more of his unprofessional behaviour, regardless of how he’s feeling living in England.

Arsenal turns down my offer to extend Arturo Lupoli’s loan. I immediately phone my counterpart at Liverpool, Mr Sam Allardyce, and make an offer to loan Florent Sinama-Pongolle for three months. I’ll have to fight off a few clubs if Sinama-Pongolle will turn out for the Seagulls.

13th of October 2007

Manchester United rejects my offer to extend Jonathan Spector’s loan for a further three months.

Championship – Game 11: Brighton v Reading

Delgado hat-trick helps Seagulls hammer Reading

Agustín Delgado notched up a hat-trick, including two goals in the space of five minutes, and Arturo Lupoli added a fourth goal as the Seagulls moved to within a point of an unlikely spot in the promotion playoff zone after thrashing Reading at home on the featured Championship game of the afternoon. After the match, Senor Flatline hailed the performance of his team as the best performance of the season so far, and bodes well for the future this season.

Delgado opened his account on 18 minutes, taking a well-weighted through-ball from James Beaumont in his stride, fending off Reading’s defenders then side-footing the ball home through the legs of Reading keeper, Alan Blayney, to make it 1-0. Delgado doubled his tally and Brighton’s lead on 53 minutes, capping off a sensational team move, featuring Wilkshire, Beaumont, O’Donnell and Bexfield, who laid on the final pass for Delgado to turn past Blayney, notwithstanding the pressure applied by two Reading defenders. Five minutes later, Delgado claimed his hat-trick when he took Barry-Murphy’s free kick on his chest, fended off Graeme Murty and powered his shot past Blayney.

Senor Flatline withdrew Delgado and Stephen O’Donnell on 65 minutes, bringing on John Oster for his first appearance in a month following a knee injury, and on-loan striker Arturo Lupoli. The Italian, making probably his final appearance for Brighton as his loan expires tomorrow, capped off the crushing win with the fourth goal of the afternoon, when on 88 minutes, he took Patrick Bexfield’s through-ball in his stride, advanced to within the penalty box and lashed his drive past Alan Blayney, who had no opportunity to stop the ball.

Reading manager, Mr Bryan Robson, admitted in the post-match press conference that Brighton was the better side: “We made a number of opportunities to score this afternoon, but we simply didn’t test the Brighton keeper. The shots we had were mostly from distance, and they were under pressure. Well played to the Brighton defence. They kept it tight when we had possession and they played quick movement through the midfield to free up Delgado and Lupoli. They will be a handful for many teams in this division for the remainder of the season, if they play to their potential.â€

Senor Flatline was effusive in his praise for striker Agustín Delgado: “Agustín has had his critics since he joined Brighton at the start of the year, but you can’t argue with the statistics. He now has 12 goals in 11 games this season, and 31 goals in 34 games since joining the club. He is such a brilliant focal point for the remainder of the team to work with. Arturo Lupoli is a good young player, and I wish him all the best for his career – except when he is playing against Brighton, of course! I’d love to keep him at the club for at least another three months, but unfortunately, it looks like both he and Jonathan [spector] will be leaving us within the next couple of days. Nonetheless, we feel we have a good platform to work with and I’m looking forward to our next game with anticipation.â€

That was a tremendous result for the club, and a fine way to see off both Arturo and Jonathan. I receive a text message from Mr Knight following the game, congratulating me on the size of the victory and the ease with which we achieved it. Of course, I share it with the players and they respond appropriately. Bob then tells the players that they’re now seventh on the ladder, just a point from a promotion playoff position, so anything, at this stage of the season, remains possible.

Brighton (4-1-4-1): Kuipers ©; Barry-Murphy, Purse, Virgo, Spector; Ãlvarez; Bexfield, Beaumont, Wilkshire, O’Donnell (Oster 65 (Scimeca 88)); Delgado (Lupoli 65).

Reading (4-5-1): Blayney; Shorey ©, Ghonéré, Castle (Nicholls 49), Griffin; Wrack (Murty 45), Heckingbottom, Harper, Kavanagh, Davies; John (Kitson 70).

Final score: Brighton 4:0 Reading

MoM – Agustín Delgado

After the game, I submit last-ditch offers to renew the loans of Spector and Lupoli for a further three months, but I do not hold much hope that the offers will be accepted by Manchester United or Arsenal, respectively.

Archived