Green Lights Over Edinburgh

A New Dawn at Hibernian

After a disappointing campaign last season, Hibernian Football Club has named Karl Thornton as the new man at the helm. This will be Thornton’s first job in management after a short playing career which saw him tally nearly 110 appearances for the Easter Road club. A 10th place finish was watched with grim faces last year and the misery is set to continue with the media predicting another season at the lower end of the SPL.

When asked if he was the right man to lead the club he responded in an attentive manner; “Of course some [critics] may look at my record and say that I am too inexperienced for this job. I don’t agree with that view. I have been around Hibernian Football Club for a long time and so I think that I know a lot about the club already. So really, I am in a better position than managers with a higher reputation.” He also went on to add that after talks with the chairman he “aims to build for the future and put an end to the manager merry-go-round which has ruined continuity at the club in recent years”. The general reception has been despondent from the fans but any fears will be washed away with a strong start to the season.

In a quiet preseason Thornton has attracted left winger Jonny Hayes from Highland club Inverness. This appears to be a great signing to bolster the Hibs midfield, but no more are expected without any departures – such is the precarious financial nature of the club, an indeed most of the league.

The Hibernian chairman Rod Petrie was optimistic about the appointment. He was “happy to welcome Karl to Easter Road” and “Wished him the best of luck in his new role” labelling him the “right man to steer the club out of tricky times and into a prolonged career as a manger”.

Now all the fans of the green half of Edinburgh will be eagerly anticipating the start of the new season.

Written by 1967 for The Whistle. 1.6.2010

Right then just a little bit of info before this really starts..

I will be playing out and writing about a career with a fictional manager at Scottish SPL side Hibernian (a one club save, maybe unless the Celtic job comes up) who are on a bit of a slide in real life. I will be a fictional manager for The Whistle, a fictional publication. Did anyone say it was a work of fiction? :)

The majority of the updates will be match reports but I may throw in some tactical or financial stuff if anyone would like that. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew so i'll leave it at that and see how I get on. On with the updates!

Kilmarnock 2-2 Hibernian

Heffernan (13)

Rui Miguel (40)

Griffiths (45+2)

Griffiths (56)

In the drizzle at Rugby Park Hibernian somehow escaped with a point in a 2-2 draw against Kilmarnock as they came from behind through two goals from Man of the Match Leigh Griffiths.

After a scrappy first five minutes Kilmarnock came out on top and started to dominate the game, enjoying the majority of possession and peppering the Hibs goal with shots. Thornton’s side didn’t seem to be able to handle a series of long throws and corners by Kilmarnock’s Buijs and the opener came through him. He swung in a corner which was half cleared to Heffernan who, from outside of the box, lashed a shot past the hapless Divis in goal.

At 1-0 Hibs still didn’t switch on, and still Kilmarnock dominated the game, forcing top drawer saves from Divis in goal. Eventually their persistence was further rewarded with another stunning goal; this time from debutant striker Rui Miguel on 40 minutes. Weak marking afforded him a few yards of space central to the goal, 20 yards out, and he placed it tidily in the bottom left corner.

In a poor half for Hibernian they seemed to wake up slightly after this goal and some good play was finished off by another debutant - Leigh Griffiths on loan from Wolves. Some neat passing down the left flank between Griffiths and Galbraith took out a Kille defender and Griffiths dribbled the ball inside and curled a shot into the top right corner, another great goal this time deep into first half stoppage time and for the team in green.

Despite not troubling up to this point in the game Hibs went into the half time break with a glimmer of hope.

Kilmarnock came out of the break with renewed impetus and shortly after the break another Buijs corner was met by Pascali but his header cannoned off the crossbar. The game then opened up as neither team could gain real control of the game. In a battling midfield Palsson put in some strong tackles and in one such dispossession the ball was played out to the young winger Wotherspoon, who looked up and played a wonderful ball over the top for Griffiths. With only the keeper to beat he slotted home the equaliser. Controversy then came as the Kilmarnock players appealed for an offside call, which replays show was very tight and the Hibernian striker may well have just been half a yard offside.

The game became a little heated with some hard tackling. In one such fair but tough tackle Galbraith picked up a knock and on came the new Hibernian signing Jonny Hayes. As the game headed into the latter stages both teams could have won it with good saves on each side but the score remained 2-2 as the final whistle blew.

Teams:

Bell; Hay; O’Leary; Pascali; McCann; Harkins; Sissoko; Kelly; Buijs; Heffernan; Rui Miguel

Divis; Stephenson; Hanlon; O’Hanlon; Hart; Galbraith; Palsson; Osbourne; Wotherspoon; Griffiths; O’Connor

Written by 1967 for The Whistle. 14.8.2010

Archived