Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DimitrisLar said:

tries tricks ppm is mostly involved in dribbling or on passes too

Dribbling (I think). 

3 hours ago, DimitrisLar said:

and as an extend is helpful for possesion, total football or tiki taka style tactics?

Tiki-taka is a possession style. Maybe you actually meant "counter"? 

13 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Yep, it makes little sense for WM/AM wingers to be two completely different positions.

Anyway, at 18 y/o your player should be able to learn a new position quickly, so I'd just train and play him there regardless. It's the attributes that end up dictating how well he will play, not the position indicator. As far as I know, the only attribute that takes a hit when a player is played out of position, is Decisions.

Thanks- I will try the retraining method.

I have a Striker who I am playing in a pair up front. His right foot is strongest, but his preferred position in a striker duo is on the right. Should I place him on the right or left? 

7 hours ago, koimes said:

His right foot is strongest, but his preferred position in a striker duo is on the right

Why do you think it's a problem (or contradictory)? 

7 hours ago, koimes said:

Should I place him on the right or left?

Depends on the rest of your tactic and tactical setup (because nothing can work in isolation). For more specific advice, you'll need to start your own separate thread, post a screenshot of your tactic there (preferably also of that particular player) and then you can get proper advice. But not here. Because this thread is only for simple questions that can be answered easily and do not require any tactical analysis. 

@Kcinnay You'll have to start a separate thread, because your question cannot be answered in a quick and simple manner. It requires deeper tactical analysis.

Therefore, start a separate thread, post a screenshot of your tactic there and describe precisely what you are asking about. 

@mikcheck You are once again asking a question that does not belong to this quickfire thread because it requires an analysis of your tactic as a whole. How can one know in advance whether changing a WB into FB would make sense without seeing the whole system? 

Start a separate thread, post a screenshot of the tactic and then ask the specific question you asked here (which I had to remove, like any other that does not belong here). 

52 minutos atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

@mikcheck You are once again asking a question that does not belong to this quickfire thread because it requires an analysis of your tactic as a whole. How can one know in advance whether changing a WB into FB would make sense without seeing the whole system? 

Start a separate thread, post a screenshot of the tactic and then ask the specific question you asked here (which I had to remove, like any other that does not belong here). 

But I think that it was just a simple question, why create a thread just because of that? I was basically asking if a FB(s) with gets forwards PPM basically  acts as a WB(s

Just now, mikcheck said:

But I think that it was just a simple question, why create a thread just because of that? I was basically asking if a FB(s) with gets forwards PPM basically  acts as a WB(s

No. Because each role has its hard-coded behaviors that are not visible in the UI. That's why I said you need the separate thread with a screenshot of the whole tactic. Because - again - roles never work in isolation (the same applies to everything else within tactics). There are setups in which WB can be changed into FB (or vice versa), but there are also those in which it's not a good idea (like narrow formations, for example). 

What does it mean when a player has a dark green bar for tactical familiarity? I suppose it means a lack of familiarity but why is the bar dark green then and not just black? I mostly see this for the position/role/duty bar. I noticed one of my midfielders has a full dark green bar even though has played a full season in his r/p/d, Does r/p/d training affect this? If i train a player as a trequertista but play him as an AP, would this negatively affect his familiarity as an AP?

afd.jpg

20 hours ago, takeballpassball said:

Do DLF(s) tend not to get as many goals as you'd imagine a striker should? 

Should you rate them more on their link up play than their goals? 

Why not both? They can score a lot but Its more likely for an AF or poacher to get the golfen boot. They on the other hand wont link up much or at all.

41 minutes ago, takeballpassball said:

Am I fighting a losing battle trying to play a possession based tactic with a team such as Aberdeen? 

Would I be better off playing a higher tempo, more direct tactic? 

You should be able to do that. Just keep it simple with few TIs. 
maybe just 3? Shorter passing, pod and more urgent pressning. The base of a possession style.

4 hours ago, takeballpassball said:

Am I fighting a losing battle trying to play a possession based tactic with a team such as Aberdeen? 

Would I be better off playing a higher tempo, more direct tactic? 

Not at all. Remember, it's all relative to the level you're playing at, so you can probably play a possession game with a relatively strong team for their division in Aberdeen. It would maybe not work as well for a weaker team like say Hamilton etc. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

• SI Staff
On 06/05/2020 at 01:45, FrazT said:

Can one of the tactical wizards please give me some insight into a slight issue with a player?  18 year old designated as an attacking midfielder by the game, natural at MC and MR.  Played as MR, role as winger, support last year and in 38 games for the reserves, scored 9 and had 28 assists and an excellent game rating.  This year I have slightly tweaked my formation and want to play him as an AMR, role as winger support and suddenly he is rated as totally incompetent by the game.

So, the question is:  How can a player who is natural at MR, winger, support be incompetent at AMR, winger support.  I could understand if he dropped from natural to accomplished or even to competent, but am struggling with a drop to nothing.

We talking Positions?

That is simply his Positional Familiarity, not how suited his attributes etc are. Play and train him there and he will become familiar with the position (quickly if he is young and already has similar positions under his belt).

• SI Staff
17 hours ago, hxp said:

What does it mean when a player has a dark green bar for tactical familiarity? I suppose it means a lack of familiarity but why is the bar dark green then and not just black? I mostly see this for the position/role/duty bar. I noticed one of my midfielders has a full dark green bar even though has played a full season in his r/p/d, Does r/p/d training affect this? If i train a player as a trequertista but play him as an AP, would this negatively affect his familiarity as an AP?

afd.jpg

Dark Green is the overall team's level.

• SI Staff
On 06/05/2020 at 09:59, Zemahh said:

As far as I know, the only attribute that takes a hit when a player is played out of position, is Decisions.

There's a handful, all mental, of which Decisions is one, yes.

As advised above though, if you reckon the player can play the Role, go for it. Get them to learn the Position on the job.

14 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Not at all. Remember, it's all relative to the level you're playing at, so you can probably play a possession game with a relatively strong team for their division in Aberdeen. It would maybe not work as well for a weaker team like say Hamilton etc. 

I'm not at the level of experience yet where I can get it to work haha.
I seem to be getting better results going more direct, so I shall continue down that path.

@hxp In order to get a (really) proper answer to your question regarding the "cross to near post" PI, you'll need to start a separate thread and post a screenshot of your tactic (as a whole) there. Only then we will be able to see the context in which you are trying to use this instruction and whether it can make sense. Without that, we can only speculate and offer potentially misleading suggestions.

So please start your own thread, post the tactic and ask your question again there :thup:

Apologies if this is the wrong section to post this, but it doss relate to tactics. 

How much scouting do you do on your next opponent? Aside from reading scout reports, do you do anything extra such as going back and watching the opponents previous matches? Looking up their stats etc? 

It's something that I've not paid too much attention to, but it would of course be useful to get an insight into your opponents. 

@ElJefe4 Sorry, but I had to remove your post(s) on the wingers because it requires analysis of your tactic as a whole, not just individual instruction(s) and therefore does not belong in this thread, which is for quick and simple questions/answers only.

So please start a separate thread, post a screenshot of the tactic, explain (again) what you want and you'll get suggestions and help :thup:

On 11/05/2020 at 23:44, Seb Wassell said:

There's a handful, all mental, of which Decisions is one, yes.

As advised above though, if you reckon the player can play the Role, go for it. Get them to learn the Position on the job.

What about if a player, let's say for example a full-back has a green disk as a FB-Su and a red disk at CWB-Su, playing in the same position, let's say as a LB, will his mental attributes be affected? Will he play better as a FB-Su than a CWB-Su?

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Seb Wassell said:

You're confusing Positional Familiarity and Role Suitability.

Positional Familiarity

The disc on the pitch indicating Position is how familiar the player is with that position. This will affect some of their (mental) attributes and thus performance.

image.thumb.png.a672f07d57c0c214c29d14a418898c1c.png

Role Suitability

The disc under 'Role and Duty' is simply a reflection of how well suited the player's attributes are to the roles under that position. This will not affect their attributes or performance. Role Suitability takes into account Positional Familiarity in its display. So a player that cannot play a Position well will not be displayed as being able to play that Role well as they are not considered suited to the position. This does not change how well suited their attributes are in isolation however.

image.thumb.png.e0fdf8924262b6bb87cac46cee5905c8.png

Use

Use Position Familiarity to judge how familiar a player is with a position, and thus if their attributes will be affected when playing there.

Use Role Suitability to judge how well suited a player's attributes are to that role, with position taken into account.

You can train Positional Familiarity. You cannot train Role Suitability, as it is simply a visual indication of the attributes required to play that role.

A player will become "more suited" to a role the better the applicable attributes become, which you can see under the 'Highlight' drop-down on the player's profile. You can specifically train the attributes required for a role via Individual Training.

This is an excellent explanation, thank you very much.

On 11/05/2020 at 00:00, takeballpassball said:

Do DLF(s) tend not to get as many goals as you'd imagine a striker should?

It depends on your tactical style too. With a patient approach I got my dlf to score lots of goals, mostly assisted by my more advanced forward.

Re the 2nd part of your question. Know what you want him from him and rate him according to that. What are the 2 main reasons for your using dlf-s? Tracking back? Providing assists? Scoring? Bringing others into play? Decide on that and then you can see whether he is playing well/doing what you want or not.

15 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

You can train Positional Familiarity. You cannot train Role Suitability, as it is simply a visual indication of the attributes required to play that role.

A player will become "more suited" to a role the better the applicable attributes become, which you can see under the 'Highlight' drop-down on the player's profile. You can specifically train the attributes required for a role via Individual Training.

Is this not contradictonary? If you train the attributes the role suitability demands...The suitability will increase, yes?

Or am I not getting something here? Or is it just the case of not training suitability per say but the attributes needed to increase said suitability?

Edited by Djuicer

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Djuicer said:

Or is it just the case of not training suitability per say but the attributes needed to increase said suitability?

This ^

So you are not training the "suitability", which is a common misconception, like you do a Position. Role Suitability is simply a visual indication of how suited the player's attributes are.

52 minutes ago, Tilling said:

Does the PI 'Take More Risks' only affect passing and one-two's as stated in the description, or does it also affect dribbling and shooting? 

Take More Risks is under passing, so it affects that.

Dribbling and Shooting are controlled via their own respective PIs and they're found above the passing PIs.

By the way, the tooltips in this case also help. Hover your mouse cursor over the PI buttons. :thup:

2 hours ago, Pattric_b said:

Any particular reason the rdf training thread was deleted? Must have missed this 

Apparently some disagreement with mods, or so he said on another forum. The thread is still available, if you Google for it.

4 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Apparently some disagreement with mods, or so he said on another forum. The thread is still available, if you Google for it.

Hmm that’s strange but glad it’s still available. Thanks for the info

4 minutes ago, Elitee said:

When making a tactic and it doesn't give you the winning results, how do you spot where the problems are and which role changes can fix it? Talking more broadly rather than my own tactic. 

maybe post a match or tactic that you think is worth discussing about in the tactics forum? make a thread about it and you can continue to receive feedback or discuss about it. It will be a good place for other players that are facing the same problem as you to look for some information too. 

@Seb Wassell the look for over/underlap setting alter mentality.  The description also say that the wide player infront of the full back will hold up the ball. Is this like a PI? Or like the PPM dwells on the ball? Or just a butterfly effect from the lowered mentality? 

24 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

How do we know how much creative freedom a player is given?

Basically, a player's level of creative freedom is determined by the combination of his role, team mentality and instructions pertinent to creative freedom if you use them (i.e. be more expressive and be more disciplined). The "take more risks" player instruction also plays a part.

16 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Basically, a player's level of creative freedom is determined by the combination of his role, team mentality and instructions pertinent to creative freedom if you use them (i.e. be more expressive and be more disciplined). The "take more risks" player instruction also plays a part.

Yes I understand that, but are we able to see the level?

I was pretty sure that 'Take More Risks' just encouraged them to play more through balls and didn't alter the players creative freedom?