Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

How else can I have my GK kicking long balls to the flanks from goal kick, when I already have distribute to flanks and take long kicks?

Getting tired of the keeper taking short passes to the CBs against teams with high LOE, despite instructed to do otherwise...

Edited by Sharkn20

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SI Staff
On 13/07/2020 at 12:04, HUNT3R said:

Nowhere has Seb ever listed Reputation as having any effect when posting about the HoYD. I have pretty much all of them bookmarked. Surely somewhere it would have been mentioned when listing every other factor.

In the 2nd quote, he says on average, the better coaches have better reputation, but even a good member of staff can have a low reputation due to working at a lower level. That's still saying the person is a good coach/HoYD/whatever, reputation or not.

Maybe @Seb Wassell can confirm it put the myth to bed..

The Reputation of your HoYD has no direct impact on the youth intake.

If your team has someone other than your HOYD picking the youth intake (GM, Tech Dir, etc.), what effect, if any, does your HOYD have on the development of those players (pre-intake) or is it all based on only the player who is responsible for the intake?

Edited by rsihn

17 minutes ago, Aksi92 said:

How much of a problem is having 2 players with Dictate tempo trait? Can they play together?

I have 2 in a 3 man midfield with the trait. They're just fine.

51 minutes ago, rsihn said:

If your team has someone other than your HOYD picking the youth intake (GM, Tech Dir, etc.), what effect, if any, does your HOYD have on the development of those players (pre-intake) or is it all based on only the player who is responsible for the intake?

I can only guess that your HoYD (when not set to do a youth intake) might have a similar impact on youth intakes' "freak" newgens that the normal coaching staff do, since I can select him to take part in training. We know that the HoYD (or whoever is responsible for the intake) has double the effect on a "freak" newgen compared to other coaching staff.

One for @Seb Wassell to confirm or not, perhaps, if he gets a chance.

In what type of situations 'Show onto foot' applies to? Does it apply only when a player is at a shooting situation?  I've only used it on strikers having a weaker foot so I'm curious if this instruction also applies to wingers/fullbacks crossing the ball or even central defenders paying from the back?

1 hour ago, Mr. Buttons said:

In what type of situations 'Show onto foot' applies to? Does it apply only when a player is at a shooting situation?  I've only used it on strikers having a weaker foot so I'm curious if this instruction also applies to wingers/fullbacks crossing the ball or even central defenders paying from the back?

Yes. It can apply anywhere someone may kick the ball, which happens quite regularly in football.

Whether it helps you depends on your players and tactics.

8 hours ago, Mr. Buttons said:

Does the instruction 'roam from position' only apply to making a player available to receive a pass or does it also apply to making himself available to take a shot from a better position?

The Roam from position PI allows a player to leave his position as he sees fit. So you need to trust that player that he will be able to make the right decision as to when and where he should roam. Whether he will roam in order to make himself more available to his teammates or to get himself into a better shooting/goal-scoring position is up to him. 

On 27/07/2020 at 12:33, Mr. Buttons said:

As a non-tactical genius, I also have this question - what are typical situations where it makes sense to show players onto their weaker foot?

I assume it isn't always so simplistic as just do it because the player has a weak foot on one side. That seems like the "100 level" class.

From a "200 level" class perspective, I feel like it could work for funneling the opponent's play into or out of the middle (either to counter their tactic or help yours), or a wing, things like that but I can't really wrap my head around 1) how it works mechanically - like left footed player on the left side and I want that player to be funneled to this spot on the field type of thing, or 2) when it would be appropriate - like why I might want to push a player to this of that area, or 3) maybe cutting off a passing lane for a player? But I don't know exactly how to make that work - i.e. recognizing when I should do this given a set of circumstances.

Some examples of when it's a good idea in these (or other) situations would be really helpful.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

5 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

As a non-tactical genius, I also have this question - what are typical situations where it makes sense to show players onto their weaker foot?

When you either A) want to funnel opposition into certain areas of the pitch or B) opposition player is strictly one-footed.

What shoving a player onto his weaker foot does, is close the angle of his stronger foot, but that comes at a price of leaving his weaker foot open. The idea is that his weaker foot is less of a threat, which is why you're prepared to allow him time on it in return for closing his stronger foot down completely. However, while most players have a weaker foot, it doesn't necessarily mean their weaker foot is completely non-threatening. Showing a player whose weaker foot is still reasonable or above onto a weaker foot, could mean you're essentially allowing him to have a go with a foot that still has enough power in it to hurt you, which is why I'd only use it for "Left only" or "Right only" players.

If I want to show a right footed player onto his left foot is it better to use an OI to show onto left foot rather than show onto weaker foot? My thinking is that if I've briefed my team as to which is the player's weak foot they won't have to work it out for themselves on the pitch.

Edited by Hovis Dexter

1 hour ago, Hovis Dexter said:

If I want to show a right footed player onto his left foot is it better to use an OI to show onto left foot rather than show onto weaker foot? My thinking is that if I've briefed my team as to which is the player's weak foot they won't have to work it out for themselves on the pitch.

In this case it's the same thing.

12 minutes ago, safcrhys said:

Would a mezzala play best next to a winger or inside forward?

My experience is the Mez 'bumps into' the IF, but works wonderfully with a W(A), occupying that space around the corner of the box.

What are the different traits to look for in players when looking to play a higher tempo game vs a lower tempo game?  Example, wanting to attack like Klopp's Liverpool vs. Pep's Barca.

I've seen many discussions on the board focused around patient play - players needing concentration, composure, off the ball, decisions, etc.  From what I've gathered, mentals seem to outweigh physical and technical traits for a lower tempo game.

For a higher tempo, I'm assuming more physical/technical attributes are favored.  Any insight here?  I'm a very strong club and am trying to determine which tempo best suits my squad. Thanks!

39 minutes ago, CaptCanuck said:

This thread while specifically about gegening - so works for the Klopp POV - is great for the higher tempo side of things:

Thanks, I used that thread a lot and really like it.  @AceAvenger pointed out the below attributes to be key to pressing, but I'm more interested in tempo when my team has the ball. The below attributes were listed in the thread as important for pressing:

Aggression, Anticipation, Determination, Teamwork, Work rate, Acceleration, Stamina

I'm curious which attributes benefit a more up-tempo attack as opposed to a slower build up.

18 hours ago, Zemahh said:

When you either A) want to funnel opposition into certain areas of the pitch or B) opposition player is strictly one-footed.

What shoving a player onto his weaker foot does, is close the angle of his stronger foot, but that comes at a price of leaving his weaker foot open. The idea is that his weaker foot is less of a threat, which is why you're prepared to allow him time on it in return for closing his stronger foot down completely. However, while most players have a weaker foot, it doesn't necessarily mean their weaker foot is completely non-threatening. Showing a player whose weaker foot is still reasonable or above onto a weaker foot, could mean you're essentially allowing him to have a go with a foot that still has enough power in it to hurt you, which is why I'd only use it for "Left only" or "Right only" players.

Thanks Zemahh!

What are some typical/obvious (to someone who knows what they are doing) scenarios where I might want to funnel a player to a certain area of the pitch?

1 minute ago, Sharkn20 said:

Does a player consistency improves with matches played as it says in this article?? I read many times before that consistency and dreads big matches don't improve over time.

https://www.footballmanager.com/the-byline/why-your-squad-needs-older-players-wednesday-wisdom?fbclid=IwAR1igR-2Te1_ELi4CU2qXx7olMFMA0P285HSK48hbL0jkYIi8RgMXDuoT2E

Consistency and Big Matches can (not will) improve. It also can (not will) decline. It'll depend on the performances of said player.

The article could be better worded. Big Matches doesn't determine how well a player performs, but rather to how much of his full ability he plays - you could still get good performances out of the player. Same with Consistency - it determines how often a player can play to his full ability, but that doesn't automatically mean performances will be good or bad.

14 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

What are some typical/obvious (to someone who knows what they are doing) scenarios where I might want to funnel a player to a certain area of the pitch?

This is just my interpretation of it, so don't take it as "this is exactly how the match engine works" kind of thing, but let's say you have aerially exceptional defenders. In that case in might make sense to funnel opposition wingers outside, since it might be easier for you to deal with crosses than cutbacks. Or, if you have a great DM, maybe funnel wide players inside so he gets to intercept them. You could also funnel good finishers away from goal and good crossers into central areas, where they might be less of a threat.

At least that's the theory, how exactly the match engine interprets that instruction is another question. I'd say definitely keep a close eye on player's stats, to make sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot (e.g. you shove a winger inside, but he's now constantly threatening your goal).

Edited by Zemahh

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

It's not an overkill in and of itself.

Sorry, I dont really understand this.

I playing a 3412, with tighter marking. If I set 1 of the "2" to man mark someone of importance of the opponent team(PI), does the TI matters?

I do observe that striker usually close down between the CB and DM/CM(depending on opponent).

I do also observe that he also does the same thing when I didn't set his PI.

Thats why Im not sure how does it work.

8 minutes ago, skyline72 said:

Sorry, I dont really understand this.

I playing a 3412, with tighter marking. If I set 1 of the "2" to man mark someone of importance of the opponent team(PI), does the TI matters?

I do observe that striker usually close down between the CB and DM/CM(depending on opponent).

I do also observe that he also does the same thing when I didn't set his PI.

Thats why Im not sure how does it work.

Without man marking you see your striker stay in close contact with the CB even when the CB does not have the ball?

I rarely man mark - will have tighter marking generally on now and again - but watching the highlights when I do I see the marker stay in the markee's orbit even when not on the ball. Without it the marker will take up a more 'natural' position when the markee is out of possession. YMMV obviously :-) Maybe your striker is just super keen or has a high aggression, amongst other things specific to him.

It depends on the role of the striker as well. I have a player with high Aggression that I commonly play as a PF(A) and against sides that rotate possession through a DM or CM that drops between the lines to collect the ball, I'll tell my striker to mark them just to make their ball circulation a little more difficult and while I can see the player consistently gravitating to the midfielder that I've asked them to mark, they still aggressively leave their man to close down other nearby players when they have the ball.

While I don't play with 'Tighter Marking' I imagine that it would apply when the player is actively marking somebody, i.e. in the above example the striker would be tighter on the midfielder when they were marking them (I wouldn't expect it to affect how often they would close down other players though).

If i set attacking movement training three times before a match, does the "boost" of the training will be bigger?

And if i do one att. movement and one teamwork, does the boost will be divided into those two sessions (50% att. and 50% teamwork)? or i will have a complete boost on both areas?

english is not my first language. and this is a pretty difficult question to make :lol:

3 minutes ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

If i set attacking movement training three times before a match, does the "boost" of the training will be bigger?

No, it'll be the same, so you basically wasted 2 training sessions.

3 minutes ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

And if i do one att. movement and one teamwork, does the boost will be divided into those two sessions (50% att. and 50% teamwork)? or i will have a complete boost on both areas?

You'll have a complete "boost" to both.

1 hour ago, yourih3 said:

What are good roles for providing support to an enganche in FM20? (From all possible roles in attack, midfield and defence)

Have a look at the pinned threads and guides. Pairs and Combinations can help you get an idea of how and why roles and duty combinations and even help understand the reasoning behind it.

If you need any more than that, it'll be best to open a thread. Apart from just having a good tactical setup in terms of roles and duties etc, it will still need to suit your squad/players who will be used in the tactic.

14 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

@Experienced Defender what is the definition of a "overkilll" in a tactic?

When you use too many instructions which all serve to encourage basically the same type of behavior (e.g. narrow/very narrow width + focus through the middle + narrow formation etc.).

8 minutes ago, mouli said:

Is it possible to play possession football at structured fluidity in fm19 Or 20? 

Fluidity in FM19/20 is different from what once was the Team shape (instruction), so the 2 should not be confused. But a specific answer to your question is - yes, it can.

However, you'll need to start a separate thread if you want to discuss your tactic/tactical style in more detail :thup:

A few questions:

Are IWBs' mentality affected by "Focus through Middle" or "Focus down Flanks"? Also mezzalas/carrilero?

If I have an AML already on "Very Attacking" mentality, does "Focus down the Left" still affect how he plays?

What happens when a wide player has the trait "Moves into Channel"?

Thanks!!!

5 hours ago, wingwangwong said:

Are IWBs' mentality affected by "Focus through Middle" or "Focus down Flanks"?

The mentality of any fullback or wing-back - including IWB - is affected by the focus play down the flank and overlap/underlap instructions. So if you for example play an IWB on the left flank and are using either focus play down the left or/and overlap/underlap left, his mentality will be increased (compared to when you don't use these instructions). 

On the other hand, Focus through the middle affects the mentalities of CBs, DMs and defend-duty CMs (as well as the goalkeeper, if I remember correctly).

Also mezzalas/carrilero?

Their individual mentality is not affected by any team or player instruction (except for the team mentality, of course). 

If I have an AML already on "Very Attacking" mentality, does "Focus down the Left" still affect how he plays?

It can affect how he plays (because any instruction can affect any player), but it does not affect/alter his individual mentality. It affects only his fullback/wing-back partner in terms of mentality. 

What happens when a wide player has the trait "Moves into Channel"?

As any other player with that trait, he will look to move into channels whenever such an opportunity presents itself (when he is in the right position/situation to do so).

Hi...  playing as Newcastle United, is it possible to have a single tactic, maybe like a balanced Vertical Tika Taka which I can then just tweak depending on the opposition?

I always tend to try and get two tactics to work, one when I am the stronger team and then for when I am the weaker team, but wondered if I can just have a single style of play / tactic and then tweak without being one of the best sides in the league.

Thanks

34 minutes ago, edhdurham said:

Hi...  playing as Newcastle United, is it possible to have a single tactic, maybe like a balanced Vertical Tika Taka which I can then just tweak depending on the opposition?

I always tend to try and get two tactics to work, one when I am the stronger team and then for when I am the weaker team, but wondered if I can just have a single style of play / tactic and then tweak without being one of the best sides in the league.

Thanks

Absolutely possible. Here's a link to a post by @Mr U Rosler where he used a 4 4 2 and 4 1 4 1 with great success.

43 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

Can anyone explain the passing. Why does mixes passing make my side seem more dangerous going forward than shorter passing?

Various reasons might be the reason for that. Your team setup overall, with roles and other settings.

Players at hand, does a faster style fit them better?

Main reason is the increased directness, you will attack team faster with less time for op. to organize their defence. They will also pass with bigger risk, due to verticality increase. Instead of passing to the left or right and keeping the ball, players are more inclined to pass forward finding team mates in more attacking positions.