Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

6 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Aside from the medical centre, is there a good place to spot whether injuries come from too much training?  (i think the current training is unlikely to lead to higher amount of injuries etc)

I tend to put some extra slots in training weekly (mostly match prep like defensive shape), and now in february-march, I'm plagued with 4-5 heavy injuries. Weirdly, it are all attacking players (wingers and strikers), so I don't know if it's just bad luck or if I am overburdening them somehow and not my other players...

In the schedule view for training you can see how each day's workload effects each unit rather than just the overall workload view you get on the calendar, so that could help to see if you might be specifically training your attacking unit too hard

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if there are any impactful under the hood effects that duty has aside from changing player mentality? e.g. assuming TIs are adjusted as much as possible to be balanced/mixed would a player play the same with a positive mentality play the same regardless of his duty? Of course there are seperate implications for the tactic around the player but I'm interested in the specific players behaviour as a result of his duty

6 hours ago, wixxi said:

Does anyone know if there are any impactful under the hood effects that duty has aside from changing player mentality? e.g. assuming TIs are adjusted as much as possible to be balanced/mixed would a player play the same with a positive mentality play the same regardless of his duty? Of course there are seperate implications for the tactic around the player but I'm interested in the specific players behaviour as a result of his duty

Different duty will have different PI that is going to be the biggest difference in terms of tactics. A player with support duty will also sit deeper in defence compared to on attack duty and will move closer to teammates to provide a passing option.

2 hours ago, yourih3 said:

Can a false nine and targetmen on  attack line up succesfully together?

Not a common striker partnership, but I guess it could be made to work, depending on how the rest of the tactic is set up. But that can be discussed only in a separate thread, not here

9 minutes ago, GShrieves said:

When opting for a patient and possession approach does it make sense to have more support roles spread across the team?

Yes, you needn't have more than 2 or maybe 3 attack duties if you want a patient approach.

12 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Can someone explain to me the main differences between a RPM and BBM? I think they are very similar apart from the fact an RPM is obviously a playmaker, anything else?

RPM is hard-coded to carry the ball more than a BBM as well as being a ball magnet and the other caveats that come with a playmaker role.

2 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Can someone explain to me the main differences between a RPM and BBM? I think they are very similar apart from the fact an RPM is obviously a playmaker, anything else?

In addition to what @LHurlz said, the RPM is more attack-minded, more creative and more mobile (free to roam) than BBM. In fact, there are more similarities between RPM and mezzala on support than between RPM and BBM.

I am using 4-2-3-1. My idea is wanting my central midfield pair to dominate. Style is set up as attacking. The 2 central midfield roles are DLP (S) and Mezzala (A). Usually a combination which, along with a AP at no.10, worked a treat in FM20. In this game, I cannot get the central midfield pair to have any hold on a game. FYI currently they are Tonali and Tielemans. Any helpful ideas as to what I can do to make them dominate games? I just want them on the ball more. Can you use two DLPs together? Would it work to have a DLP and Roaming Playmaker together (considering there in Advanced playmaker as well?)

2 hours ago, FM Addick said:

I am using 4-2-3-1. My idea is wanting my central midfield pair to dominate. Style is set up as attacking. The 2 central midfield roles are DLP (S) and Mezzala (A). Usually a combination which, along with a AP at no.10, worked a treat in FM20. In this game, I cannot get the central midfield pair to have any hold on a game. FYI currently they are Tonali and Tielemans. Any helpful ideas as to what I can do to make them dominate games? I just want them on the ball more. Can you use two DLPs together? Would it work to have a DLP and Roaming Playmaker together (considering there in Advanced playmaker as well?)

Without seeing anything else that mezzala is going to eat the AP space and the DLP is going to compete for balls with the AP, so yeah not a great combination to have there.

Think in who you want to carry the game, what are the strengths, how the other members of the team can gel around and build around it

Edited by Sharkn20

@FM Addick You'll stand a far greater chance of getting a proper answer to your question if you start your own separate thread and ask there. This quickfire thread is meant for simplest questions only, which yours clearly is not, since it requires deeper analysis of your tactic. 

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

In a formation such as 4231, such a role partnership is a big tactical no-no :herman:

Interesting. It worked really well in FM20 and no matter what I tweak, neither player shows up in this version. This isn’t a complaint, it’s the sort of challenge I like!

I should add - results wise it is working. Going really well with smaller PL sides. But I just don’t see the CMs having any impact 

Edited by FM Addick

7 hours ago, FM Addick said:

Funny you mention that as DLP (D) and RPM is what I'm eventually going to try in my 4231 😅 I do believe if you want to dominate the middle then two playmakers could be the way to go, but I'm not an expert. I'm looking to do the same btw, so also been considering two DLP's but the former sounds more interesting to me so gonna try that first. 3 playmakers can work, just depends on the whole system of course. I'll be using a Treq in front of them. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

10 hours ago, LHurlz said:

RPM is hard-coded to carry the ball more than a BBM as well as being a ball magnet and the other caveats that come with a playmaker role.

7 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

In addition to what @LHurlz said, the RPM is more attack-minded, more creative and more mobile (free to roam) than BBM. In fact, there are more similarities between RPM and mezzala on support than between RPM and BBM.

Thanks guys. The BBM roams also though, doesn't it?

6 hours ago, Zamielfreischutz said:

It might be an optical Illusion, but, Do players tend to move towards positions on the pitch they are familiar with?

I think I see Strikers that are competent as AMC's drop deeper as a F9 than Pure Strikers.

That's optical ilusions.

4 minutes ago, GShrieves said:

Do duty distributions suit certain tempos? For example does more support duties suit a lower tempo whilst more attack duties suit a higher tempo?

Distribution of duties and their overall number are different things. Generally speaking, more support duties suit possession-oriented styles of play. But again, how you distribute them within the system matters a lot. 

High(er) tempo-oriented styles of play basically require more attack duties up front, but as with the above example - you need to think about their optimal distribution so that the overall tactical balance would not be disrupted. 

For more detailed discussion, you'll need to open your own separate thread.

Training:

Is there any way I can pick the Under 18's and 20's team selection without taking control of the teams?

I have players I'm retraining in different positions and the managers of each team are just doing what they want in terms of team selection.

Many thanks

17 minutes ago, Rich2086 said:

Is there any way I can pick the Under 18's and 20's team selection without taking control of the teams?

Before each youth / reserve team you should receive a notification asking you which of your first team players you want to include in the youth / reserve team for the next match. At this time you can select the positions that you want the youth / reserve players to play and they will start the next match in those selected positions.

1 hour ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Before each youth / reserve team you should receive a notification asking you which of your first team players you want to include in the youth / reserve team for the next match. At this time you can select the positions that you want the youth / reserve players to play and they will start the next match in those selected positions.

Fantastic thank you.

That worked, who knew an inbox message I've probably deleted 10,000 would be what i needed :eek:

For anyone else that ever looks similar up - for speed i think you can go back to the squad page pick the 11 you want and save it. Every time the inbox message comes up again just go back to the squad screen and load the saved selection. Better than picking the 11 every week.

Edited by Rich2086

Playing a 433 DM wide, I tend to have a lot of blocked crosses that end up in corners. often it is because the winger or wingback takes too long to cross, even with early crosses.

I assume it is because he might find there arent sufficient targets in the box, but  how do I increase the numbers without comproming my defence? My midfield three consists of a DLP de/BBM/AP Attack.

I emphasize low crosses because I don't have the best headers/physical people up front, would this have an impact? Although I don't see much changes with mixed.

Bonus question: in what setup are whipped crosses a good choice? Whipped crosses are aimed to catch people offguard, but then what is the difference with early crossing?

Edited by eXistenZ

7 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

Playing a 433 DM wide, I tend to have a lot of blocked crosses that end up in corners. often it is because the winger or wingback takes too long to cross, even with early crosses.

I assume it is because he might find there arent sufficient targets in the box, but  how do I increase the numbers without comproming my defence? My midfield three consists of a DLP de/BBM/AP Attack.

I emphasize low crosses because I don't have the best headers/physical people up front, would this have an impact? Although I don't see much changes with mixed.

Bonus question: in what setup are whipped crosses a good choice?

FM21? It's known behaviour than crosses are blocked/rendered as blocked in the ME way more in 21 than previous versions.

I mitigate it some with support duty and cross from deep selected (WBs/FBs, not for Ws). Otherwise just get as good a crosser you can with vision and decisions and accept you'll end up seeing blocks regardless.

Do player traits improve a players ability to execute that behaviour when weighting for attributes? E.g. would a player with 15 for all relevant dribbling attributes + ‘runs with ball’ trait be more successful at dribbling than the same player who doesn’t have that trait but with ‘dribble more’ applied

Of course wondering if it applies to most traits like the same scenario but for ‘tries killer balls’ and ‘more risky passes’

also to add to this, are there any advantages to this effect for movement traits like ‘gets further forward’ rather than just simply giving that player the PI? To me it seems like it just makes the player more inflexible since they now can’t reliably play a defensive role, without a benefit for the trait (assuming there is no difference between the trait and PI in game)

I’m assuming there probably is otherwise those traits would be a bit redundant, but just want to clarify 

Edited by wixxi

52 minutes ago, wixxi said:

Do player traits improve a players ability to execute that behaviour when weighting for attributes? E.g. would a player with 15 for all relevant dribbling attributes + ‘runs with ball’ trait be more successful at dribbling than the same player who doesn’t have that trait but with ‘dribble more’ applied

Of course wondering if it applies to most traits like the same scenario but for ‘tries killer balls’ and ‘more risky passes’

also to add to this, are there any advantages to this effect for movement traits like ‘gets further forward’ rather than just simply giving that player the PI? To me it seems like it just makes the player more inflexible since they now can’t reliably play a defensive role, without a benefit for the trait (assuming there is no difference between the trait and PI in game)

I’m assuming there probably is otherwise those traits would be a bit redundant, but just want to clarify 

Traits are tendencies. They don't improve attributes and attributes are what decides how good a player is at whatever he's doing, eg dribbling.

What it can give you is variety. Different players playing the same position and role/duty differently because they have different traits.

6 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

FM21? It's known behaviour than crosses are blocked/rendered as blocked in the ME way more in 21 than previous versions.

I mitigate it some with support duty and cross from deep selected (WBs/FBs, not for Ws). Otherwise just get as good a crosser you can with vision and decisions and accept you'll end up seeing blocks regardless.

Yes FM21. But it's nt just blocked crosses, also shots get blocked a lot.

Would raising the tempo to extremely high urge the players to shoot/cross faster?

12 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

Would raising the tempo to extremely high urge the players to shoot/cross faster?

It could but it's not a straightforward yes/no.

It could mean you work the ball forward faster and catch a defence before it's properly set (so in transition) which gives you more room.

It could also mean you work the ball forward too fast, meaning you only have 2 or 3 attackers vs 3 or 4 (or more) defenders, meaning it's easy to mark you and defend against passes/shots/crosses.

Where the space is, how it's used and/or how it's created is the real topic here and I'd recommend creating a thread or if you have one already, continuing the discussion there.

Got a DM / CM who is a decent player. I’m going to use him as a Half Back. He’s got PPM of Dribbles Through Centre. I’ve asked coaches to get him to stop doing it. They advised against it as he’s a physical player. But surely I wouldn’t want my DM dribbling up the pitch?

Several questions regarding both tactics and training but all should have relatively short answers simple:

When looking at a player's tactical familiarity for P/R/D, what does it mean when the bar is partially filled brightly and partially with a darker shade? Its usually still partially unfilled in this scenario.

Why some players seem to stay completely unfamiliar, or get stuck at a certain level of familiarity for P/R/D whie they are fully familiar with all the other aspects of the tactic and everyone else has been fully familiar with P/R/D for ages?

When using strength additional focus, I very often get feedback from the coach mentioning that Jumping Reach cannot be further increased with additional focus training. Does this mean that the focus gets partly wasted, or its the effort redirected fully to strength? Can jumping reach still be increased by individual and general training in this case? Also, why does it happen so often while I have never seen such feedback for any other attribute/focus?

Why may be a fast player (15/16  in respective attributes) complaining in the pre match screen that the TI early crosses doesnt suit his speed? In other teams with slower players it never was an issue that was brought up.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

9 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Traits are tendencies. They don't improve attributes and attributes are what decides how good a player is at whatever he's doing, eg dribbling.

What it can give you is variety. Different players playing the same position and role/duty differently because they have different traits.

I understand that they provide variation in behaviour, but I know for example that the 'curls ball' trait allows the player to curl the ball more successfully than someone without the trait, assuming attributes are the same ('Improves the player’s ability to curl the ball above and beyond his ability as already determined by his attributes.)

So I'm just wondering are there other traits similar in this regard, or is this improving effect specific to this trait

8 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

I see Exp got the second question :-)

Blocked shots is also an FM21 behaviour. I've gotten some really nice movement and throughball goals, but lots of blocked shots still happens, but in fairness for both me and AI, so that's another one you have to get used to - to one degree or the other

1 hour ago, wixxi said:

I understand that they provide variation in behaviour, but I know for example that the 'curls ball' trait allows the player to curl the ball more successfully than someone without the trait, assuming attributes are the same ('Improves the player’s ability to curl the ball above and beyond his ability as already determined by his attributes.)

So I'm just wondering are there other traits similar in this regard, or is this improving effect specific to this trait

Looking through the manual, it seems to be very much a unique trait.