Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Can you make a cm(a) act like a mezzalla with player instructions (minus playing wider) or are the ‘under the hood’ instructions mean this is not possible?

The latter 👍🏻

54 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Can you make a cm(a) act like a mezzalla with player instructions (minus playing wider) or are the ‘under the hood’ instructions mean this is not possible?

It won't behave exactly like Mezzala. There is a good reason why Mezzala is such a good role in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

This season at Marseille has been complicated but exciting, with its Europa League run and the hopes of a whole city and a whole nation to see it through.
The last few matches have featured a 3-5-2 tactical line-up. The numerous injuries have had an impact on the tactical organisation, not to mention the changes in coaching staff.
I'm asking for your help in reproducing the 3-5-2 employed by OM at the end of this financial year.
The average positions for the last two games.

Ligue 1

PaP_OM_Lens.png.5b153457e9c6400c402b54ddca26d899.png
https://www.sofascore.com/rc-lens-olympique-de-marseille/QHsYH#id:11391276

PaP_OM_Lens-bot.png.147fe35ac9419aff845c28fa87386d01.png

http://www.mclachbot.com/match_summary?matchid=543d81bf0c4f6ed7194afd5d4e38d4f28e64b3ba78591a8bf787ab7281f5de30

Europa League

PaP_OM_Atalanta.png.2551bcad9d1e4e19eadbfea9bc862e87.png
https://www.sofascore.com/atalanta-olympique-de-marseille/QHsLdb#id:12173468

PaP_OM_Atalanta-bot.png.052cd850f4a0ffa718399a41e2d7de39.png

http://www.mclachbot.com/match_summary?matchid=469495a0da606b3e4dd473172d51207489583540cabef04f02d3c9b7258c372f

In addition, Ligue 1 championship stats
Style of play Marseille ranked 3rd in possession, 13th in average attacking speed, 3rd in high crosses, 7th in defensive actions, 8th in height of defensive actions, 10th in % against pressure.
In terms of performance, we ranked 6th in scoring chances, 12th in attacking efficiency, 4th in % of possession within 30 metres of the opposition goal, 5th in high ball recovery, 1st in chances conceded (the fewest), 17th in defensive efficiency.

Thank you all for your support in the future.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Batigoal__ said:

This season at Marseille has been complicated but exciting, with its Europa League run and the hopes of a whole city and a whole nation to see it through.
The last few matches have featured a 3-5-2 tactical line-up. The numerous injuries have had an impact on the tactical organisation, not to mention the changes in coaching staff.
I'm asking for your help in reproducing the 3-5-2 employed by OM at the end of this financial year.
The average positions for the last two games.

Ligue 1

PaP_OM_Lens.png.5b153457e9c6400c402b54ddca26d899.png
https://www.sofascore.com/rc-lens-olympique-de-marseille/QHsYH#id:11391276

PaP_OM_Lens-bot.png.147fe35ac9419aff845c28fa87386d01.png

http://www.mclachbot.com/match_summary?matchid=543d81bf0c4f6ed7194afd5d4e38d4f28e64b3ba78591a8bf787ab7281f5de30

Europa League

PaP_OM_Atalanta.png.2551bcad9d1e4e19eadbfea9bc862e87.png
https://www.sofascore.com/atalanta-olympique-de-marseille/QHsLdb#id:12173468

PaP_OM_Atalanta-bot.png.052cd850f4a0ffa718399a41e2d7de39.png

http://www.mclachbot.com/match_summary?matchid=469495a0da606b3e4dd473172d51207489583540cabef04f02d3c9b7258c372f

In addition, Ligue 1 championship stats
Style of play Marseille ranked 3rd in possession, 13th in average attacking speed, 3rd in high crosses, 7th in defensive actions, 8th in height of defensive actions, 10th in % against pressure.
In terms of performance, we ranked 6th in scoring chances, 12th in attacking efficiency, 4th in % of possession within 30 metres of the opposition goal, 5th in high ball recovery, 1st in chances conceded (the fewest), 17th in defensive efficiency.

Thank you all for your support in the future.

Mate, you do realize this is the quick question thread. It's a nice and detailed post but I don't really understand what your question is here? Wouldn't it be more productive for you to start a specific new thread on this topic? You would probably get more feedback that way. Here it will unfortunately probably just get drowned by daily questions.

Edited by crusadertsar

Il y a 4 heures, crusadertsar a dit :

Mate, you do realize this is the quick question thread. It's a nice and detailed post but I don't really understand what your question is here? Wouldn't it be more productive for you to start a specific new thread on this topic? You would probably get more feedback that way. Here it will unfortunately probably just get drowned by daily questions.

@crusadertsar Thank you for your reply.
On your recommendation I'm going to open a new thread.

11 hours ago, Marabak said:

This is a really stupid question, but where do I find heat maps within the game? I assumed somewhere in the data section but struggling to find them

There is a Analytical Data link under summary when you're still in the match of the day interface. 
or you can manually open previous matches and find the analytical data link by click the score (which will direct to MoD page).

Hi guys,

I need your help to find the perfect striker : which role/mentality to give to my striker, which PI's should I give him and which attributes are important, in order to make my player lead the frontline, plays on DCs' shoulders, sometimes play back to the goal, hold up ball, play simple pass, and sometimes make runs behind the defensive line. I also want him to press a lot the backline and to be my main goal threat. I don't really want him to roam or the be a playmaker but to be a focal point in attack,help retain possession whenever it's necessary and to be very agressive in front of the goal.

I mostly play high press/high line and possession football.

Thanks a lot guys!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Delial said:

Hi guys,

I need your help to find the perfect striker : which role/mentality to give to my striker, which PI's should I give him and which attributes are important, in order to make my player lead the frontline, plays on DCs' shoulders, sometimes play back to the goal, hold up ball, play simple pass, and sometimes make runs behind the defensive line. I also want him to press a lot the backline and to be my main goal threat. I don't really want him to roam or the be a playmaker but to be a focal point in attack,help retain possession whenever it's necessary and to be very agressive in front of the goal.

Thanks a lot guys!

It will depend on your tactic, but Off the Ball is the big attribute I look for on a primary goalscorer.

Sounds like you're looking for a pressing spearheading forward, so a PF(a) should do the trick.

Edited by Cloud9

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Delial:

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot guys!

As already mentioned by @Cloud9 a PF(A).

Finishing is not that important bit for your player I‘d check on Aggression, workrate and bravery too

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OYTNANAK said:

What do guys think of the role of Toni Kroos this season? A regista or DLP on support? Trying to recreate Madrid here.

Madrid play a 4-3-3 W/Tchouameni as the 6 so definitely not a regista (only available in the DM strata). Kroos is probably best fit as a CM(s) on the left sided 8 in the setup w/tinkered PIs. DLP(s) could also work, as he recycles possession a lot, but comes w/hold position which isn't great in a 4-3-3. 

Ultimately a player like Kroos's importance is difficult to replicate in the ME. These are players who control the match and are always available to receive the ball under pressure.

Edited by Cloud9

3 hours ago, OYTNANAK said:

What do guys think of the role of Toni Kroos this season? A regista or DLP on support? Trying to recreate Madrid here.

I'd go with roaming playmaker.

2 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Madrid play a 4-3-3 W/Tchouameni as the 6 so definitely not a regista (only available in the DM strata). Kroos is probably best fit as a CM(s) on the left sided 8 in the setup w/tinkered PIs. DLP(s) could also work, as he recycles possession a lot, but comes w/hold position which isn't great in a 4-3-3. 

Ultimately a player like Kroos's importance is difficult to replicate in the ME. These are players who control the match and are always available to receive the ball under pressure.

They play a 4-3-1-2, Kroos is one of the 3 defensive midfielders, since he has impact higher up the pitch too I'd say roaming playmaker is the best pick.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Poison said:

I'd go with roaming playmaker.

They play a 4-3-1-2, Kroos is one of the 3 defensive midfielders, since he has impact higher up the pitch too I'd say roaming playmaker is the best pick.

I don't think this is accurate. You could say its a 4-4-2 diamond w/Bellingham (which certainly it was at the start of the season), but recently it's looked like more of a 4-3-3 again to me (which Madrid deployed in 52 of their 58 games the season before) with Jude as a F9 type role.  Tchouameni has always been the solo 6 holding pivot in either formation. 

Rodrygo's touch map vs Man City is that of a wide player, not a central striker in a pairing I think. 

image.thumb.png.f84fe71450e4e220e7624d7d757c3553.png

RPM will be difficult for Kroos to pull off with his lack of mobility in game. They've reduce him to 10 Stamina 12 Natural fitness at this point on top of 10 acceleration/pace. I usually look for a defensive MEZ type of profile on a RPM (mobile, can run with the ball + strong mentals to roam), but that's just me :) 

Edited by Cloud9

49 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Rodrygo's touch map vs Man City is that of a wide player, not a central striker in a pairing I think.

That's because they played 4-5-1 in this game (Rodrygo at LW), however they haven't done so the rest of the season and they haven't played 4-3-3 this year almost at all. "Normally" Rodrygo plays at mid-right and Vini at mid-left and they both play wider and roam etc. Behind them is Bellingham and then the trio in the mid is Valverde, Tchouameni and Camavinga (secundo volante, defensive midfielder and the role in question -  for me it's rpm - respectively that usually Camavinga has). I agree that dlp-su is too static, there is a merit for regista as he also does a lot of the things Kroos (or Camavinga) does in the field.

56 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

type of profile on a RPM (mobile, can run with the ball + strong mentals to roam), but that's just me

Interestingly enough, Kroos does all of these things irl, I'll admit I wasn't aware of his FM tab when I posted my previous comment.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Poison said:

Interestingly enough, Kroos does all of these things irl, I'll admit I wasn't aware of his FM tab when I posted my previous comment.

I agree! I think FM has a hard time reflecting aging players ability to perform such roles despite their diminishing physicals. 

I've been enjoying watching Madrid from a tactical perspective the past few years, one of the few high quality teams in Europe to play comfortably out of possession. A lot of the traditionally resolute sides like Atletico are still trying to figure out how to transition from their previous styles.

Edited by Cloud9

6 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I don't think this is accurate. You could say its a 4-4-2 diamond w/Bellingham (which certainly it was at the start of the season), but recently it's looked like more of a 4-3-3 again to me (which Madrid deployed in 52 of their 58 games the season before) with Jude as a F9 type role.  Tchouameni has always been the solo 6 holding pivot in either formation. 

Based on the Real Madrid pass map vs City and vs Bayern:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-05-08095341.png.52ca9a4d5f16983cc7a8fbe399b83b07.pngScreenshot2024-05-08095352.png.bc8e31833f2ad0f7362c4e7d1bfb160d.png

What I've been doing is looking pretty wild on the tactic screen, trying to create the Rodrygo and Vini overload on the left side.

Spoiler

I play Rodrygo as AML, Vini as lone striker. Bellingham AM, Tchouameni CM(de) in the middle, Valverde BWM(su), and Kroos as DLP(su) on the DMCL spot. The good thing is: Tchouameni is still acting as a lone 6 when we're in possession, with Kroos more advanced than him. But man it's hard to create what Real Madrid is doing irl due to their approach on realitionism.

I think it's better for me to create a separate thread about it soon! It needs more than a quickfire answer. Thanks for the help. :) @Cloud9 @Poison

1 ora fa, mikcheck ha scritto:

Someone pls

I consider it essential for almost every midflied role (bar playmaking ones). And BWM would be THE one that really needs it.

Posted (edited)
vor 11 Stunden schrieb Vođi:

I consider it essential for almost every midflied role (bar playmaking ones). And BWM would be THE one that really needs it.

True! If he’s not aggressive but a valuable tackler I play him plain MC(S)

Edited by HanziZoloman

Posted (edited)

I've been using someome with low aggression but high bravery for a few games and he's been getting good ratings. Good tackling, positioning and antecipation too

Edited by mikcheck

vor 12 Minuten schrieb mikcheck:

I've been using someome with low aggression but high bravery for a few games and he's been getting good ratings. Good tackling, positioning and antecipation too

Maybe he is choosing his battles very carefully 

1 ora fa, HanziZoloman ha scritto:

Maybe he is choosing his battles very carefully 

Yes, I would expect such player not to be that active and running to hit everything that moves. But once the situation comes up, he will go in the battle - taking no prisoners.

Hi again guys (and thanks for your last answers!),

Let me know if my question requires a new topic.

I started to play with offensive mentality and I really liked how my players are agressive with and without the ball (espacially without).
But my defence was ******. Do you have any advice on how to balance things using offensive mentality but still being pretty sound in defence?

Thank you !

50 minutes ago, Delial said:

I started to play with offensive mentality and I really liked how my players are agressive with and without the ball (espacially without).
But my defence was ******. Do you have any advice on how to balance things using offensive mentality but still being pretty sound in defence?

Thank you !

Roles + attributes will do the trick :thup:

31 minutes ago, Delial said:

For me to balance risk between att and def you need to balance your width in possession and out of possession. Generally, positional play philosophy recommend team to have maximum width possible when you have the ball to use the pitch at full capacity.
On the other hand, you want to stay as compact as possible when defending, both vertically and horizontally. So you have a dilemma: you want maximum width in possession, but when you lose the ball, you want your team to have a close distance when you lose the ball. In real life, using "overload to isolate" is one way to solve this dilemma. You heavily attack 1 side of the pitch (left or right), then quickly switch to your wide attacker on the other side. This can be done in FM, but they hardly perform this trick consistently.
You can narrow your system and only keep your wings wide; that'll solve your leaking defense. Having your players closer together in the defense phase ensures that if 1 defender gets a pass, the other will have less space to cover.
The other thing you can do is to have a good rest defend shape; at least you have to cover the middle lanes and force them to go wide when they're counterattacking.
TDLR: narrow your system help ball recover, have a good 3-2 rest defend make you comfortable up the mentality between positive and very attacking.

10 hours ago, Delial said:

Thank you !

Unfortunately you can't have everything, and that's what makes the game balanced. Only 5 star players will solve all those issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow FM addicts, 

one of my best players won't perform. He has everything for almost every position in defense but I it won't work. His best matches has been as an No 8 like a BWM but those two places are reserved for more creative players. We play a 433 with two FB(S) and two W(S) center is like DM(S) AP(S) MEZ(S), tactical style is fluid counter-attack. We have 11 machines on the pitch, all hard working, determined and brave creatures. 

Any ideas to get his engines running?

He is missing Team Work and hight for the DM(S), hight and jumping for a CB, Acceleration for a WB but for a FB(S) or a BMW(S) he's good enough (?) I like my midfield trio to have Team Work.

Spoiler

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-19um12_09_43.thumb.png.cca577699d549887d7b8547cb36f49fd.png

9 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Hello fellow FM addicts, 

one of my best players won't perform. He has everything for almost every position in defense but I it won't work. His best matches has been as an No 8 like a BWM but those two places are reserved for more creative players. We play a 433 with two FB(S) and two W(S) center is like DM(S) AP(S) MEZ(S), tactical style is fluid counter-attack. We have 11 machines on the pitch, all hard working, determined and brave creatures. 

He is missing Team Work and hight for the DM(S), hight and jumping for a CB, Acceleration for a WB but for a FB(S) or a BMW(S) he's good enough (?) I like my midfield trio to have Team Work.

Hide contents

Bildschirmfoto2024-05-19um12_09_43.thumb.png.cca577699d549887d7b8547cb36f49fd.png

looks like a pretty good fullback tbf. 

Teamwork is important for any role that needs to pass a lot, of which the deeper midfield and defensive midfield roles are one. 

vor 27 Minuten schrieb DownTheFrank:

looks like a pretty good fullback tbf. 

Teamwork is important for any role that needs to pass a lot, of which the deeper midfield and defensive midfield roles are one. 

Thanks man, why especially for the passing roles?

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2024 at 03:15, HanziZoloman said:

For me he is too slow to play as a fullback (s) or wingback (d), think he would struggle in most 1v1s against a quick winger. 

I do like the agi/balance + tackling combo on him w/those mentals...I would deploy him as a BWM(s/d) in a pivot or as an 8 BWM(s). Big fan of a BWM w/a good personality like spirited, helps them out a lot. A bit of acceleration will go a long way on him as a BWM if you're able to train him up a point or two.

A pairing of a BWM(s) + a MEZ is one of my favorite for two 8's. You could consider flipping the MEZ to (a) while the BWM charges around Joelinton style. Alternatively a BWM(s) + MEZ(s) can serve as a great screen for an expressive role like a regista in the 6. 

Edited by Cloud9

Posted (edited)
vor 4 Stunden schrieb Cloud9:

I do like the agi/balance + tackling combo on him w/those mentals...I would deploy him as a BWM(s/d) in a pivot or as an 8 BWM(s). Big fan of a BWM w/a good personality like spirited, helps them out a lot. A bit of acceleration will go a long way on him as a BWM if you're able to train him up a point or two.

He won‘t develop that last Acc step. My two 8‘s are RPM and MEZ(S) for that fluid counterattacking style but will try how the BWM works out.

I don’t like that low Team Work in a central position. He is one of the best players though and will expect to play much.

I continue this one in the Billericay thread. Thanks for helping out. 

edit: just gained his 11 Acc @Cloud9 :eek:

Edited by HanziZoloman

Posted (edited)

What PPMs would you give this guy? I'm playing him as a pressing forward (a).

image.thumb.png.4b78eccf848da9f7361b6f157aa750a0.png

I'm considering:

- Tries tricks

- Simple passing game

- Refrains from long shots.

- Bicycle kicks!

Edited by whatsupdoc

vor 28 Minuten schrieb Los_Culés:

Hi guys,

lets say I face AMR Winger, right foot only. What is the difference between showing him onto weaker foot and showing him onto left foot?

Thanks in advance!

No difference, the "weaker" foot let the player itself chose on which to show the opponent, if you say left foot, you tell him. I never use weaker foot but always show some players on one foot.

On 02/08/2008 at 14:16, freddiw said:

Can standard tactics win things (llm style)

For sure, I've had a patch where i challenged myself to use only the prebuilt tactics. Infact, the tactics i currently use, doesnt have too many changes just a few tweaks. 
As long as your tactics suit your player's ability especially the attackers and the defenders. You should be good to win more often than not. Think of the tactic as a structure of your team, It's like you extracting more out of your players as a coach because you give them a structure to play around where they can expect certain things and do stuff premeditated. So any tactic would work if you have the correct players for it (which means they are good to play at that level)

What role do you think suits the AMR position best? My right IF never performs, I'm guessing this is because of he clashes with the SS. 

image_2024-05-21_142129663.png

vor 2 Stunden schrieb natpatrat:

What role do you think suits the AMR position best? My right IF never performs, I'm guessing this is because of he clashes with the SS. 

image_2024-05-21_142129663.png

Did you try him on support? 
But I‘d probably think about that the SS and both IF(A) are roles for main goal scoring. I would like to have another creator around them and would not singularly rely on the F9

Il 19/5/2024 in 12:15 , HanziZoloman ha scritto:

Now that's a picle! This seems like a great player on first look, but then pretty much at every thinkable role as DC, DLR or DM he has some shortcoming.

Personally - despite not that good jumping and heading skills, I would consider him as a IFB on the left (if thats a role that could come handy to you).

vor 23 Minuten schrieb Vođi:

Now that's a picle! This seems like a great player on first look, but then pretty much at every thinkable role as DC, DLR or DM he has some shortcoming.

Personally - despite not that good jumping and heading skills, I would consider him as a IFB on the left (if thats a role that could come handy to you).

It’s what I am thinking, especially as he‘s fairly strong with his left foot. Sadly my team is not good enough for playing with IFB

On 19/05/2024 at 12:15, HanziZoloman said:

Hello fellow FM addicts, 

Hide contents

This guy is terrible, can't pass, dosen't work hard, can't jump, isn't fast, poor stamina, tbh he wouldn't get into my match day squad at Sheffield Wednesday and I'm still in the first season 

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, 

i‘ve noticed that some coaches are not interested in further qualifications. It happens quiet often, I sign a new perfectionist for my youth set up and he tells me he‘s not interested to study further. (It doesn’t make sense though for a perfectionist or Model professionell to not wish to improve)

Anybody with a similar experience and how to solve it?

Edited by HanziZoloman

10 hours ago, OYTNANAK said:

Can you achieve man-to-man marking across the pitch by using "tight marking" opposition instructions on all outfield players?

A Bielsa approach? 

You can try, but it will pull your tactical formation all out of shape. The marking OI is the most disruptive, more so than press more often, of OI's. You will need a very specific kind of player on the opposition players. I usually try not to use more than just a couple of the press more often and tight mark OI instructions to not overly disrupt my shape. 

Opposition OIs on their front players can be especially punishing for you. I would recommend a high line approach and leaving the OI instructions off their front players for the most part.

Hi everybody,

My defenders are always more tired than my offensive players. To me, that doesn't make any sense because I play a high press system and it should get my forwards exhausted but... they're not, at all. But my defenders are, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Thnaks !