Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Is there a limit to how many players can be tutored?

I'm nurturing a very young squad where no one started off with Determination over 5, so I brought in some old warhorses with high DET as back-up statuses purely to give tuition. The first 4 set about their tasks perfectly well, but after that every one I've hired has been unable to tutor. I get the notice 'no suitable tutees' when I have a full squad of desperate candidates!

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Is there a limit to how many players can be tutored?

I'm nurturing a very young squad where no one started off with Determination over 5, so I brought in some old warhorses with high DET as back-up statuses purely to give tuition. The first 4 set about their tasks perfectly well, but after that every one I've hired has been unable to tutor. I get the notice 'no suitable tutees' when I have a full squad of desperate candidates!

No you can have many tutors. It sounds like your issue is a rep one and that the tors you signed aren't views as good enough to tutor the players you want hence the unable tutors message.

Squad status and rep are the most important. I don't think back up players can normally tutor though if their new signings. 

Was really struggling with defending due to my centre backs doing silly things like passing back to the goalkeeper which were frequently getting intercepted.  Things have improved a little since changing my centre backs to "defensive centre backs" which I assume have replaced "Limited Centre Backs"?  However are there differences between the two because in FM16 I found limited CB's too limited because they really did just hoof the ball away where FM17's Defensive Centre Backs seem to be a bit better in getting that balance between playing out and clearing the lines,.  Can imagine that there therefore must be only a handful that can play as a ball playing defender because my two aren't too bad with the ball at their feet compared to some but still as I say perform better in this version as DCB's.

Is tutoring players more effective than trait training? I rarely do tutoring, only really with young goalkeepers or occasionally CBs when there's no trait I want to add, I tend to always have my young players working on a new trait. Is tutoring more effective in developing them, it seems like everyone here seems to prefer tutoring? 

Edited by ChrisWillock

10 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Was really struggling with defending due to my centre backs doing silly things like passing back to the goalkeeper which were frequently getting intercepted.  Things have improved a little since changing my centre backs to "defensive centre backs" which I assume have replaced "Limited Centre Backs"?  However are there differences between the two because in FM16 I found limited CB's too limited because they really did just hoof the ball away where FM17's Defensive Centre Backs seem to be a bit better in getting that balance between playing out and clearing the lines,.  Can imagine that there therefore must be only a handful that can play as a ball playing defender because my two aren't too bad with the ball at their feet compared to some but still as I say perform better in this version as DCB's.

It was only a name change nothing really changed.

3 minutes ago, ChrisWillock said:

Is tutoring players more effective than trait training? I rarely do tutoring, only really with young goalkeepers or occasionally CBs when there's no trait I want to add, I tend to always have my young players working on a new trait. Is tutoring more effective in developing them, it seems like everyone here seems to prefer tutoring? 

Tutoring changes the personality types, if players don't have the correct personalities then they'll struggle to develop and reach their full potential. So you should ideally change the rubbish/bland personality types to more professional/ambitious ones.

36 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Right, so my tutors need higher reps, cheers. For those that have done their jobs, how long do they have to wait before they can tutor again?

30 days if it was successful, if it failed or ended early then the entire duration that was left.

Player Chalus is my central defender. Why is he at that position during throwing??? After throw - he missed in six yard area.

0BBB9BB97E07D9F08BBAE51817416A2458AB34BB

You can see, why is it a problem in next picture. If he would have been at right position, he would probably cover the attackers.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/154640637437036193/34BED02A48D1F8A343CE856AAA3B59F83A1F64F2/

my formation is 3421

Edited by smajliss

I am not getting any pre match tactical advice on shape, formation, rules or duties. Only player fitness concerns or set piece takers. My ass manager is responsible for this task and has been in the club for about a year.

What am I doing wrong? It's suppose to show up in your inbox right? Am I only viewing the summary and the report is somewhere else? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

1 hour ago, Vizzini said:

Does having coaches with the right personality (Professional) make the players develop faster, or is this just relevant for the Head of Youth Development?

I'm not sure about that, but academy kids often have coaches as their favoured personnel and I think pick up personality traits off them, so indirectly I think professional coaches does help mould the kids who come through the academy.

On 11/13/2016 at 00:48, wetfred said:

When starting a new save should I train just 1 main tactic until it's mastered then add the other 2 or is it ok to train 3 different tactics at the beginning of training and will I be ready for the new season?

If I start a new save I always start with only one tactic.

It takes a while until your familiarity is fluid - especially if your team is not on professional terms.

But imho even more important than that is that you train "team cohesion" until their understanding is at least "strong".

On 11/13/2016 at 22:29, Artin said:

Why is there a downward orange arrow on a player's profile but their CA hasn't really gone down?

Because his training improvements are worse than in the last training period, but not worse enough to be shown.

For me this happens often when I change the training of the team ( e.g. setting team training from heavy to standard).

Usually it's better not to obsess with the arrows :D

On 11/15/2016 at 21:00, smajliss said:

Player Chalus is my central defender. Why is he at that position during throwing??? After throw - he missed in six yard area.

0BBB9BB97E07D9F08BBAE51817416A2458AB34BB

You can see, why is it a problem in next picture. If he would have been at right position, he would probably cover the attackers.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/154640637437036193/34BED02A48D1F8A343CE856AAA3B59F83A1F64F2/

my formation is 3421

Usually this question would be better answered in a separate thread because for an answer we need much more information than two screenshots and your defensive formation.

If I try a shot in the dark I would assume that your 3-man-defense is a first hint for his positioning: someone has to cover the flanks; even without fullbacks.

On 11/18/2016 at 14:28, Vizzini said:

Does having coaches with the right personality (Professional) make the players develop faster, or is this just relevant for the Head of Youth Development?

Imho the personality of staff doesn't impact the development of players but has only an impact on the creation of regens.

This means that some regens get the personality traits of the HOYD - I don't think that any other staff has this influence.

Favourite personnel doesn't influence player development but it's a factor for the players mood ( "selling his best buddy").

2 hours ago, Hansaplast said:

If I start a new save I always start with only one tactic.

It takes a while until your familiarity is fluid - especially if your team is not on professional terms.

But imho even more important than that is that you train "team cohesion" until their understanding is at least "strong".

where can you check team cohesion state?

54 minutes ago, samwilzrhcp said:

Regarding training, if your team is familiar with the tactics, is it worth switching from Team cohesion?

If your players aren't gelling together well yet, keep team cohesion. Team cohesion doesn't affect tactical familiarity- it is just measure of how comfortable the team is playing together. Match tactics develops tactical familiarity.

Does a low concentration stat mean that the players concentration levels degrade over the course of a match or is it just random lapses of concentration? I.E does it work like stamina? If so, could I combat low concentration levels by subbing a player off at 65-70 mins if they have a concentration stat of 11?

I created a new tactic partly for when I'm chasing the game, and partly because my other tactics were 1 striker tactics, and I want to keep my 2 star strikers happy by giving them more minutes.  I use the 4-1-3-2 narrow.

It's set attacking, less dribbling, offside trap, look for overlaps, slightly wider.  I use WBs not FBs.  My DM is a regista, my 3 mids are BTB, AP (S) and automatic.  My two strikers are F9 and poaching.

The tactic works very well for what I want it to do.  I get goals.  I get lots of chances and shots.  I even don't give up many good chances either on the counter or in the run of play.  My F9 is scoring and assisting for fun.  Here's the thing.  The tactic seems to break down if I change mentality to control or counter, which I do when it's time to protect the lead.  (I avoid standard like the plague.)  Whenever I ratchet down the mentality, we start conceding chances, GOOD chances, and stop creating them.

Any advice?  Should I just try to win a shootout?

Do you guys think this is a good idea?

In the most recent FM's I've played 14/15/16, I've always struggled to either get going, or to just get into a game. So this time, I've tried to almost strip back, possibly to avoid old habits. So I've started fresh, tips I've seen from others of using notes and training players/tutoring players early from the start of the season by picking out those youngsters who I feel could become a part of my team is what I set first along with my pre-season training schedule. 

Next I've picked a formation, mentality and shape, I've left all the TI's blank as I'm not sure what ones I want, so feel rather than adding them in, why not wait and see if there's anything I feel should be added later. I'm not changing anything during pre-season, so won't be adding any TI's during this phase as I'm guessing, pre-season is the worst time to judge my side. The only thing that changes is if one of my strikers gets in then I change the role of him and the same for my second AML, just because the role used wouldn't suit them enough. Then I'm going to watch all my games in full once the season kicks off and only then may I start adding TI's or PI's if I think there's something about the way we play that I'd want to change. Hoping this will help me enjoy the game a bit more with a bit of a goal with youth and possibly to stop me over complicating tactics and to prevent me thinking I need to change the minute I lose a couple of games in a row . 

I'm dominating games, making between 20-30 shots a game - however despite telling my team to work ball into the box more than half those chances are longshots and I end up with cracking stats but poor results. What am I doing wrong?

5 hours ago, Barnzy said:

I'm dominating games, making between 20-30 shots a game - however despite telling my team to work ball into the box more than half those chances are longshots and I end up with cracking stats but poor results. What am I doing wrong?

If they're long shots when this isn't instructed, it's because either there aren't passing options, the player doesn't see them or your instructions prevent them from using the options they do see.

Can potentially see that there are not many options going forward, I currently have Full backs in support, will it make the difference if I change these to wingbacks? That way I've more options out wide (assuming wingbacks get further forward), reluctant to put them on attacking 

58 minutes ago, Barnzy said:

Can potentially see that there are not many options going forward, I currently have Full backs in support, will it make the difference if I change these to wingbacks? That way I've more options out wide (assuming wingbacks get further forward), reluctant to put them on attacking 

We need to see your whole set up, looking at some roles in isolation isn't very useful 

Whats the biggest difference for my wingers in a 4-1-4-1 and a 4-3-3? Are players more restricted by their role or their position in the tactics screen? 

If I want them to cut inside and play one-twos, I need to put them further up the pitch and play as IF (or RD) right? 

The idea is to let my defensive DLP in dm position drop into a back 3 with the full/wingbacks closing up to my CM(S) and the wingers creating a "flat diamond" with the AF and AP (whose start in cm position). kinda like a 3-3-3-1 in offense.

Also is CM(S) the right position, if I want the player to stay between offense and defense to link them up? the other player in central midfield is a AP, who is going to push up further the pitch to be the main creator. 

Edited by gandrasch

Probably a silly/stupid question, but here goes:

I am playing as a lower league side in Sweden - probably on a par to Vanarama leagues.

As a result, my players are very much, errrr, a work in progress.

I generally like players with pace and good dribbling. And I have them for this league.

I have several players who get the ball. It looks like we are going to counter. Yes, we are! Go on boy! Run! And he does, he runs and runs and runs. He gets into a good position, it's 3 attackers v 2 defenders, you can see there's a guy free on the edge of the box, he just needs the pass, but no, the player with the ball just stops. Looks around, then passes it back to a CD, and the momentum has gone.

This happens more times than I would like to admit. And it is so frustrating!

My question is: what do I need to do to eliminate this?

Is this to do with the tactics?

Or is it specific skills I need to train on the players? Vision? Decisions? Stamina? Maybe he's just plain tired!

Or is it merely something you need to deal with basic players?

There could be a number of things happening- without greater context it is difficult to say. You might be best off starting a separate thread with your tactical information in detail and maybe some info about your players, a screenshot of the situation etc.

4 hours ago, gandrasch said:

Whats the biggest difference for my wingers in a 4-1-4-1 and a 4-3-3? Are players more restricted by their role or their position in the tactics screen? 

If I want them to cut inside and play one-twos, I need to put them further up the pitch and play as IF (or RD) right? 

The idea is to let my defensive DLP in dm position drop into a back 3 with the full/wingbacks closing up to my CM(S) and the wingers creating a "flat diamond" with the AF and AP (whose start in cm position). kinda like a 3-3-3-1 in offense.

Also is CM(S) the right position, if I want the player to stay between offense and defense to link them up? the other player in central midfield is a AP, who is going to push up further the pitch to be the main creator. 

The only difference would be how they track back defensively. Wingers in the AM slot like a 4-3-3 won't track back as far or as well. You can set a wide midifielder in the 4-1-4-1 to cut inside with the ball, basically creating a central midfeld strata IF and you can sue the get further forward instruction also.  The CM support is a link up player for transitioning from defense to the midfield to the attack.

So I tried the formation yesterday. I won all of the games but there were a couple things to my disliking. First off I wasn't as dangerous as I wanted to be. 

Also what I wanted was a transition from 

abMjD4wadR.png  ---->  abMjDQZai7.png

But my DLP(D) never ever dropped between the central defenders, my AP(A) midfielder and the CM(S) always were on the same height, despite the AP had "go further forward" and the CM "hold position" and so there was no link up play with my CF(S).

It looked like this:

abMjDXKapf.png

Because of that my defense was open and invited the opposition for through balls. I switched to more pressing which solved this matter, but wasn't what I wanted in the first place. 

How should I instruct my midfielders? I'm tempted to give both fullbacks an attacking duty, but feel like my defense will be even more open unless I get my DLP(D) to dropping into a back 3. 

4 hours ago, gandrasch said:

So I tried the formation yesterday. I won all of the games but there were a couple things to my disliking. First off I wasn't as dangerous as I wanted to be. 

Also what I wanted was a transition from 

abMjD4wadR.png  ---->  abMjDQZai7.png

But my DLP(D) never ever dropped between the central defenders, my AP(A) midfielder and the CM(S) always were on the same height, despite the AP had "go further forward" and the CM "hold position" and so there was no link up play with my CF(S).

It looked like this:

abMjDXKapf.png

Because of that my defense was open and invited the opposition for through balls. I switched to more pressing which solved this matter, but wasn't what I wanted in the first place. 

How should I instruct my midfielders? I'm tempted to give both fullbacks an attacking duty, but feel like my defense will be even more open unless I get my DLP(D) to dropping into a back 3. 

I think you're choosing the wrong role for what you want.. A DLP won't drop back into the back 3, the role that would fit this is the Half Back as that is part of his role description. (Just be aware I've seen people mention that when the Half Back does drop in to make a back 3, the CB's don't fan out very far so it is a narrow back 3, unless your FB's are actually in the WB position in line with DMC). Also you may have the wrong role choice for the AP, although I would also consider the player you are using, does the player in the AP role have any PPM's such as drops deep to get the ball as this might be making him discourage from the Get further forward PI, alternatively it could be worth training him to have the PPM gets forward whenever possible to encourage that movement. Another thing, which could be why the AP isn't pushing as forward as you want could be that the player is just trying to find space as an AP will try to find space on the edge of the area and you could find maybe a CM/A or B2B could push forward with a bit more urgency to create the shape you want a bit more possibly. While the CM/S if you find he is too far forward may make you want to use a DLP there or a CM/D. 

Also, I noticed in your picture of what it looked like the Wing backs are a little deeper than you hoped, that could be improved by going to attacking but you may find that is a bit too risky to have both full backs on attacking so moving them in line with the DMC position could improve them getting forward better without the need for an attack duty, but I would watch matches closely as I imagine the AI would try to exploit those gaps. 

Edited by Conflictinbanno
Added info.

So I'm a really big fan of the new way that the tactical familiarity/cohesion works but there's one thing I find a bit unclear...

When you have several players (usually new signings) that are behind individually in tactical familiarity, does it help to keep training tactics for the whole team as match preparation?

i.e. - Will the rate at which they improve familiarity increase, or is it tied more to game time (as the AssMan feedback on the individual player familiarity seems to suggest)?

I've trouble to make use of my very pacey strikers. My players choose more often than not for the short pass into feet instead for the pass into the space of the pushed up defence.

I play a flat 4-4-2, defensive forward and advanced forward. Central midfielder and ball winning midfielder and two wide midfielders. All have 'more risky passes' as PI. Counter mentality, fluid shape, pass into space and be more disciplined. Even 'more direct passes' and 'long ball' don't solve the problem. The tactical fluidity is mostly perfect.

I play as Anderlecht in Belgium, a top team there. We mostly face teams that drop deep, so there it's logical that there are no through balls, but even when we face an attacking opponent (Champions League, contenders), we don't make use of the space behind the defence. My midfielders have the right attributes and PPM's to launch through balls (passing, technique, vision, try killer balls more often etc.) What to do?

4 hours ago, felley said:

So I'm a really big fan of the new way that the tactical familiarity/cohesion works but there's one thing I find a bit unclear...

When you have several players (usually new signings) that are behind individually in tactical familiarity, does it help to keep training tactics for the whole team as match preparation?

i.e. - Will the rate at which they improve familiarity increase, or is it tied more to game time (as the AssMan feedback on the individual player familiarity seems to suggest)?

Despite the name (individual tactical familiarity) there is no individual training option; the overall team training will have an indirect effect through overall familiarity. Instead think of it as a player’s individual understanding or how settled and accustomed he is in your current setup. When you first start the game the majority of players at the club (new signings will be lagging behind because the date they joined the club will be taken from the database and used) will all likely match the current overall familiarity. While for new players you sign it can take between 50 and 270 days depending on various factors, including but not limited to Adaptability, match-time, injuries, previous team’s tactics, training etc.

Getting all the bars maxed out will take quite a bit of time for every single player as it relies on playing time, hidden attributes and staying injury free. So when looking for new players to sign it can be helpful (but not a must) to buy them from clubs who play quite similar to yourselves, as they’ll already have a high understanding to begin with.

I've been thinking about this for a while now, so I thought to ask it here as it may be rather stupid questions...

1. Is the direct effect of team shape only in possession? Now, I do understand that this will for instance affect the defensive transition indirectly, but does the compactness etc only come in play in possession? In the tactical changes thread for FM16, THOG states that the team spreads out more vertically in possession... I just want to confirm this.

2. Does passing length affect crossing? For instance, if I use "play out of defence", my wingbacks will get the lowest possible range regarding passing length... Will this affect their crossing, or is that a separate entity?

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, Cleon said:

While for new players you sign it can take between 50 and 270 days depending on various factors, including but not limited to Adaptability, match-time, injuries, previous team’s tactics, training etc.

Adaptability - damn, I did not know this!

What hidden attributes does tutoring affect? Professionalism, ambition, any more?

You get two options when tutoring - mentor off the pitch and help on the pitch - what's the difference again?