Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

On 15/02/2020 at 11:52, max787 said:

Question regarding team fluidity in FM20:

Has it been confirmed that this is simply a label that has no effect ? So the mentality structure of very fluid is identical to very structured for example ?

And follow up question - does everything play as if it was "flexible" on previous versions of FM ?

On 15/02/2020 at 16:05, Experienced Defender said:

Yes, the same as in FM19. It has an effect merely in telling you what kind of overall shape your setup has taken based on your selection of player duties, but has nothing to do with the "Team shape" from previous versions of FM, which was a separate team instruction back then.

Fluidity still has a slight effect (altough it's effect is not as significant as it used to be), it is not just a label. It affects Creative Freedom, fluidity increases Creative Freedom. A fluid formation has the same amount of Creative Freedom as a flexible one coupled with 'Be More Expressive', if you set up 2 tactics next to each other, you can clearly see fluidity's effect on the tactical familiarity panel.

So, basically, in terms of Creative Freedom:

• Fluid = Flexible + 'Be More Expressive'
  • Structured = Flexible  + 'Be More Disciplined'

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sejo said:

What happened with the latest patch? My strikers are not scoring anymore, and when I say anymore I mean it: 4 wordclass strikers, 2 of them with 0 goals (it's december!), the other two 4 each one. It's not the tactic! :(

Look at the screenshots, this is ridicolous! Every single match is the same, the patch has totally ruined my game and my team!

He is a great number 10 but he has scored 0!!! And 0 assist!

Your question requires more analysis and detailed response than this particular thread is intended for. So please start a separate thread if you really want to get any meaningful help and advice. 

If you want to complain about the ME/patch, there is also a more appropriate section of the forum, so please refer to there. 

I'll now remove your post from this thread, because it really does not belong here.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Nozzer said:

Can someone offer a description for the different types of compactness? And when they may he used i.e attacking, counter attaching, possession heavy etc

The shorter the distance between DL and LOE - the more (vertically) compact your defensive shape is.

Likewise, the greater this distance is - the less compact you are.

Therefore, the highest possible level of compactness is when DL is much higher and LOE much lower.

Conversely, the lowest possible compactness is with much lower DL and much higher LOE.

Neither of the 2 extremes is a good idea, so you need to find the right balance that optimally suits your team (taking the formation you use - among other factors - into account).

Basically, an optimal level of compactness is when DL is one notch higher than LOE (e.g. higher DL/standard LOE; or standard DL/lower LOE etc.)

• SI Staff
On 13/02/2020 at 17:31, Sharkn20 said:

Will two Match Preparation (attacking movement and tactics i.e.) training stack up for the next match? Or just the last one before the game will count?

On 14/02/2020 at 05:02, HUNT3R said:

Both will count.

:thup:

But only one of each type will count. So 2 x Attacking Movement would not equal double the attacking movement benefit.

26 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

:thup:

But only one of each type will count. So 2 x Attacking Movement would not equal double the attacking movement benefit.

On this score, will non-match preparation sessions stack up? For example, you set all 3 sessions on a given that to the Attacking>Attacking Patient? Will they count as if it was just one session in terms of attribute boosting, or the effect will be triple? 

Thanks!

I have never really figured out how the Welcome player to club works as mentoring, is there any difference what I say to the player I ask to welcome a new signing?

FOr example, is there any way to make sure a new player does or doesn't pick up a PPM?

I remember how tutoring used to have 2 options, 1 for tutee to get personality change with no PPM, and another one to give him PPM's, is the 4 different options to welcome a player somewhat similar?

• SI Staff
On 20/02/2020 at 15:14, Experienced Defender said:

On this score, will non-match preparation sessions stack up? For example, you set all 3 sessions on a given that to the Attacking>Attacking Patient? Will they count as if it was just one session in terms of attribute boosting, or the effect will be triple? 

Thanks!

Those ones do stack :thup:

On 21/02/2020 at 00:07, zindrinho said:

I have never really figured out how the Welcome player to club works as mentoring, is there any difference what I say to the player I ask to welcome a new signing?

FOr example, is there any way to make sure a new player does or doesn't pick up a PPM?

I remember how tutoring used to have 2 options, 1 for tutee to get personality change with no PPM, and another one to give him PPM's, is the 4 different options to welcome a player somewhat similar?

I don't believe any of them should result in Player Trait transference, it's an off-field thing.

Odd question: I see a lot of tactics where the counter-press is not employed, but 'more urgent' pressing is. What does this achieve, or what is it designed to achieve? More urgent non-pressing? A half-hearted press? 

5 minutes ago, warlock said:

Odd question: I see a lot of tactics where the counter-press is not employed, but 'more urgent' pressing is. What does this achieve, or what is it designed to achieve? More urgent non-pressing? A half-hearted press? 

Counter press specifically applies to when your team has just lost the ball and they try to win it back immediately. 

The other is just general pressing intensity 

41 minutes ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Counter press specifically applies to when your team has just lost the ball and they try to win it back immediately. 

The other is just general pressing intensity 

Good to know, thanks :thup:

I'm having a problem in FM19. New season, I promoted a player from my U19 squad to the first team. When I put him in a mentoring group, if I leave that screen, he just disappears. I tried adding him to another group, but the same thing happens. 

What could possible be causing this?

36 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

With a back four consisting of a FBa, 2x CBd and a WBs, what would be better to protect from the dm strata? An Anchorman, Half Back, Defensive Midfielder or Ball winning Midfielder? 

In front of the dm is a Carrilero and a Mezzala. 

That question can't be answered correctly without a better understanding of the tactical setup. 

10 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Why do some of my players learn PPMs without any training instruction to develop them?

They are picking them up from other players through mentoring ... so far as I can tell mentoring can take place outside formal mentoring groups. This seem sensible to me. Just because you may have set up formal mentoring groups these groups do not operate in isolation.

5 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

They are picking them up from other players through mentoring ... so far as I can tell mentoring can take place outside formal mentoring groups. This seem sensible to me. Just because you may have set up formal mentoring groups these groups do not operate in isolation.

I don't have any mentoring groups, so they are picking up PPM just because other players in the squad have them... I don't think I like that.

On 28/02/2020 at 14:41, Experienced Defender said:

Mezzala on which duty? 

Btw, I absolutely agree with 

OK, putting it into context. I'm Inter Miami (original dB, post update so no players). I want to play balanced until I can get some 'better' players in the side. 

The Mezzala is on attack duty. I have an inverted winger (s) on the left and an inside forward (a) on the right. I haven't decided on the strikers role yet. 

I will be playing out of defence as I want to build from the back but I don't want to leave the defence 'weak' which is why my question about the dm role. 

3 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

OK, putting it into context. I'm Inter Miami (original dB, post update so no players). I want to play balanced until I can get some 'better' players in the side. 

The Mezzala is on attack duty. I have an inverted winger (s) on the left and an inside forward (a) on the right. I haven't decided on the strikers role yet. 

I will be playing out of defence as I want to build from the back but I don't want to leave the defence 'weak' which is why my question about the dm role. 

Anyway, for the type of advice you are asking for, you need to start a separate thread and post a screenshot of the tactic there. This thread is for a different type of questions.

On 29/02/2020 at 18:15, kingjericho said:

I don't have any mentoring groups, so they are picking up PPM just because other players in the squad have them... I don't think I like that.

This can happen. It's usually a trait from someone they train with (so likely the same training unit) and who is influential.

6 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

This can happen. It's usually a trait from someone they train with (so likely the same training unit) and who is influential.

I think that is the case. My young striker picked it up from another striker, older and influential.

Does this happen only for young players?

I tried to find it, but it was nowhere to be seen, so I've got quick question. What's the difference between CM (s) and B2B? It seems they both do actually very similar and I really don't get how they behave.

Edited by Cocxa

On 02/03/2020 at 04:47, kingjericho said:

I think that is the case. My young striker picked it up from another striker, older and influential.

Does this happen only for young players?

I think I've seen it for players in their mid-20s. Not players in the final third of their career though.

1 hour ago, Belkemi1 said:

I want to recreate Antonio Contes tactics from 16/17 when Chelsea won the league.

In defence, they played 5-4-1, in offence 3-4-3. Which one should I use for my team? How does the game interpret the formations?

The formation on the tactics screen best reflects your defensive structure. So if you want 541 in defense, then that's your starting point.

4 hours ago, Cocxa said:

I tried to find it, but it was nowhere to be seen, so I've got quick question. What's the difference between CM (s) and B2B? It seems they both do actually very similar and I really don't get how they behave.

B2B are set to roam and arrive late in the box. 

CM(s) are pretty much a blank slate to work with. I'm admittedly not entirely sure how they behave without any PIs. 

7 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

CM(s) are pretty much a blank slate to work with. I'm admittedly not entirely sure how they behave without any PIs. 

I'm not sure about that. It would mean CM (s) could behave as a B2B if you give him roam from position and I suppose it's not the case. 

44 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

I play with 2 CM’s but on auto. Complete blank slate with no PI’s at all.

They play brilliantly in using only the players traits. I literally put the players I want in that position and let them play their natural game. Because they are on auto they also just take on the adjustments that mentality changes offers. If I go attacking, they get further forward. If cautious they sit a little deeper etc.

This is the first version I’ve tried this on, just using player traits and mentality in this position, and it’s been a revelation.

11 hours ago, f.zaarour said:

I have a quick question:

What does your team do when you don't tick counterpress nor regroup or when you don't tick counter nor hold shape...? 

If you don't tick any of these, your players behave according to other regular instructions and of course their roles and duties (which is all also affected by the team mentality btw). 

Hi, was just wondering what are the differences between the DL/R and the WBL/R positions? I know that there are more role varieties in the former, but let's assume the same roles. What would be the differences? Thank you.

45 minutes ago, Kawee said:

Hi, was just wondering what are the differences between the DL/R and the WBL/R positions? I know that there are more role varieties in the former, but let's assume the same roles. What would be the differences? Thank you.

If you're ignoring the roles selected then it's just that their 'base' position is further up the pitch.

You then tweak all their other behaviours via the player roles - which are probably best explained in the game itself. Hope that makes sense?

I was wondering the past days about using an AMC as the main scorer of a team... Shadow Striker probably will be the best option to do this, what you guys recommend as a role for the striker to help the AMC on this? False 9? DLF Support?

6 hours ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Can a poacher work effectively on his own or is it better to pair him with someone? 

A poacher can work as a lone striker, but you have to make sure he is properly and sufficiently supported by his teammates in terms of creating both chances and space for him.

How do you guys go about making first teamers available for reserve squad?

I see the point in it to keep everyone match fit in your first team, but doesn't it take away valuable playing time of youngsters you have in the reserve squad?