Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hora atrás, DarJ disse:

I don’t think you need the PI because he’s going to do it anyway unless you notice he’s not doing it as much as you’d like to

I always keep it the same unless the opposition keeps getting behind and I’ve tried every other thing to stop then I’ll drop the DL but I never touch my LOE once I’ve settled with a particular style 

Thanks.

Do you think this still is a mid block, consider the mentality and how bottom heavy this formation is, with a higher LOE? Or how would you do it to be a mid block?

hhhhh.jpg.4f846233cd7e158f3e008c6fead0e4cc.jpg

Edited by mikcheck

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Thanks.

Do you think this still is a mid block, consider the mentality and how bottom heavy this formation is, with a higher LOE? Or how would you do it to be a mid block?

hhhhh.jpg.4f846233cd7e158f3e008c6fead0e4cc.jpg

I think it’s somewhere in between a high block and a mid block. Team mentality has nothing to do with with the block in my opinion 

I can't find this in a general search.

On the tactics screen, does a dashed line between players indicate a "bad" partnership (players at odds with each other) or does it indicate a partnership that is just forming?

Is there a documented hierarchy anywhere?

I always assumed a solid line is a well formed partnership and the color indicated the strength of that partnership. I assumed a dashed line was a shaky partnership. The partnership was new, but needed more time together to solidify.

Is that incorrect? Does a dashed line indicate that players shouldn't play together?

Edited by Harper

23 minutes ago, Harper said:

Is that incorrect? Does a dashed line indicate that players shouldn't play together?

It's fine to play them together, it can just be both players are on a patch of bad form, they don't hate each other or anything :D But yeah, it means they're not playing the best together, you can hover your mouse cursor over the lines 

2 hours ago, Harper said:

I can't find this in a general search.

On the tactics screen, does a dashed line between players indicate a "bad" partnership (players at odds with each other) or does it indicate a partnership that is just forming?

Is there a documented hierarchy anywhere?

I always assumed a solid line is a well formed partnership and the color indicated the strength of that partnership. I assumed a dashed line was a shaky partnership. The partnership was new, but needed more time together to solidify.

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

It's fine to play them together, it can just be both players are on a patch of bad form, they don't hate each other or anything :D But yeah, it means they're not playing the best together, you can hover your mouse cursor over the lines 

It doesn't really mean anything and descriptions lack any meaningful context.  For example if you play with a Ball Playing Defender / Central Defender partnership and the game looks at your BPD's attributes and goes "nope, in my opinion you're not an ideal BPD" it'll take some points away from their partnership line even if your players are actually performing really well in their assigned roles.

Use as a guide if you like but always check how your players are actually performing before you decide they're not playing the best together and make changes.

Hi,

I think it's a known issue that later in the game, most of newgens who play as fullbacks have poor dribling/crossing. Finding one with good values there it's like finding a coke in the desert.

My question is, if your tactic deploys an attacking fullback, would you still use that kind of a player there? With poor dribling/crossing? Or lets say you'd use him as a WB(s) and have him to learn "get forward" trait?

Edited by mikcheck

2 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I think it's a known issue that later in the game, most of newgens who play as fullbacks have poor dribling/crossing.

Re-training players to be attacking fullbacks is the option I choose.

9 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

7 hours ago, herne79 said:

It doesn't really mean anything and descriptions lack any meaningful context.  For example if you play with a Ball Playing Defender / Central Defender partnership and the game looks at your BPD's attributes and goes "nope, in my opinion you're not an ideal BPD" it'll take some points away from their partnership line even if your players are actually performing really well in their assigned roles.

Use as a guide if you like but always check how your players are actually performing before you decide they're not playing the best together and make changes.

I don’t have the dashed line on my tactics, I just saw a question on reddit and realized I didn’t really know. Figured I’d come here and ask.

Hovering over the line wasn’t working for me, but if I click on a player from the formation panel then view the partnership panel, I can see a list and description of partnerships (although doesn’t always match the lines on the screen 🤷‍♂️).

Main point though is that the line and color has more to do with form rather than dynamics and tactical familiarity?

6 hours ago, Harper said:

Main point though is that the line and color has more to do with form rather than dynamics and tactical familiarity?

Form never was included or, if it was, was swamped by so much other nonsense it was masked.  It’s like when a player tells you before a match he is uncomfortable playing the assigned role, even though he’s done it all year and he’s consistently one of your best performers.

Personally I think these “features” are some of the worst things recently added to the game to the point of being misleading.

If you want to know a player’s form, look at their form :thup:.

What will happen if I set team width to narrow, select two IWs on a 4-1-4-1 DM Wide and add on both the PIs "Stay Wider"?

I know that all things are relative in tactical terms, I would just like to understand what would be the effects of this combination.

3 minutes ago, Tsuru said:

What will happen if I set team width to narrow, select two IWs on a 4-1-4-1 DM Wide and add on both the PIs "Stay Wider"?

I know that all things are relative in tactical terms, I would just like to understand what would be the effects of this combination.

I guess they will sit slightly wider than your FBs, give it a try out 

Agora, Johnny Ace disse:

I guess they will sit slightly wider than your FBs, give it a try out 

The original possession tactic does not reduce width but my strategy does, and having them sitting slightly wider than my FB´s is exactly what I want. So thank you!

Wondering if someone can help me, I'm doing an academy save so i can't sign anyone and it means i have to tailor my tactics to the players available. The tactic i've been using for the past season or so has generally been excellent but i can't finish chances to save my life. I have lots of technically good players who can play central midfield or the number 10 role but barely any wide players and any i have are crap and ineffective. I also only have 1 decent striker who is very good at scoring headers but is appalling when he gets chances at his feet. I also have full backs who are very good going forward and get a good amount of assists.

The tactic i've been using is 433 which like i said has been brilliant up until the chance needs scoring but no one can. So i guess what i'm asking is is there any other formation you can recommend with the players i have. No good wingers, loads of creative central players, good full backs and a striker who can only score with his head. Since my creative players can't score goals it has to be centered around providing chances for the striker on his head, he's also pretty crap in the build up play so i need players around him. Any help would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Captain Blackadder said:

Wondering if someone can help me, I'm doing an academy save so i can't sign anyone and it means i have to tailor my tactics to the players available. The tactic i've been using for the past season or so has generally been excellent but i can't finish chances to save my life. I have lots of technically good players who can play central midfield or the number 10 role but barely any wide players and any i have are crap and ineffective. I also only have 1 decent striker who is very good at scoring headers but is appalling when he gets chances at his feet. I also have full backs who are very good going forward and get a good amount of assists.

The tactic i've been using is 433 which like i said has been brilliant up until the chance needs scoring but no one can. So i guess what i'm asking is is there any other formation you can recommend with the players i have. No good wingers, loads of creative central players, good full backs and a striker who can only score with his head. Since my creative players can't score goals it has to be centered around providing chances for the striker on his head, he's also pretty crap in the build up play so i need players around him. Any help would be appreciated.

A 4-4-2 Diamond, 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2? 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

A 4-4-2 Diamond, 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2? 

I was thinking something along those lines but typically when i play narrow formations the opposition overload me on the wing when they have the ball. I tend to concede a fair amount of chances that way, is there something i can do to stop that? Because if it's possible to shore up the wide areas defensively in narrow formations then i'd love to play a 4312 since i love that formation.

Just now, Captain Blackadder said:

I was thinking something along those lines but typically when i play narrow formations the opposition overload me on the wing when they have the ball. I tend to concede a fair amount of chances that way, is there something i can do to stop that? Because if it's possible to shore up the wide areas defensively in narrow formations then i'd love to play a 4312 since i love that formation.

Yeah, it's the weak point of a narrow formation, fortunately, you've got good full backs which helps :thup:. The 4-3-1-2 is perfect for Carrileros, they will move out a little wide and help cover the flanks to some degree  so they could be an option 

12 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yeah, it's the weak point of a narrow formation, fortunately, you've got good full backs which helps :thup:. The 4-3-1-2 is perfect for Carrileros, they will move out a little wide and help cover the flanks to some degree  so they could be an option 

In my 433 both my center mids were mezzala's and were awesome in that role, would mezzala work just as well as carrilero?

1 minute ago, Captain Blackadder said:

In my 433 both my center mids were mezzala's and were awesome in that role, would mezzala work just as well as carrilero?

They're a lot more offensive than a Carrilero but absolutely, you could use a Carr/Mezz mix just be wary of the fullback role you use on the Mezzala's side of the pitch  

54 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

They're a lot more offensive than a Carrilero but absolutely, you could use a Carr/Mezz mix just be wary of the fullback role you use on the Mezzala's side of the pitch  

Thanks for the advice and i'll give it a go. I might still have the problem of all the chances falling to my striker's feet rather than his head though.

9 minutes ago, Captain Blackadder said:

Thanks for the advice and i'll give it a go. I might still have the problem of all the chances falling to my striker's feet rather than his head though.

Ask the team to hit early crosses :thup: If either wide player is on attack, it will help negate them crossing from the byline 

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Ask the team to hit early crosses :thup: If either wide player is on attack, it will help negate them crossing from the byline 

I've played a couple of matches and still having problems scoring goals. My job is getting precarious so i need goals otherwise i'm going to get sacked at some point if this continues. It's easy to go and find a cheat tactic that will solve all my problems but i'd not feel right cheating but at the same time i've got no idea how to fix this as my teams finishing ability is woeful.

3 minutes ago, Captain Blackadder said:

I've played a couple of matches and still having problems scoring goals. My job is getting precarious so i need goals otherwise i'm going to get sacked at some point if this continues. It's easy to go and find a cheat tactic that will solve all my problems but i'd not feel right cheating but at the same time i've got no idea how to fix this as my teams finishing ability is woeful.

Start a thread if you want advice. Show what you're doing, share your thinking behind it and what the issues are. The more info you can provide, the better.

On 10/05/2022 at 09:43, jens_dewit said:

Does anyone have a link to a thread with good set pieces, or advice on how to create them, please? Preferably not just download links as I'm playing on Switch and can't import those.

Thanks!

Have a look at this thread and scroll down to @Overmars's contribution of 2 June 2020

14 hours ago, mikcheck said:

What does "hold position" really do? Can we say that is a mentality modifier? 

In what circumstances do you use it? If you do, of course. 

For an example where it seems to be working - I've currently stumbled on to using a BWM on support duty with a hold position instruction alongside a Box-to-Box midfielder in a 442.

I was previously having my defensive mentality BWM only start closing down quite deep which meant my opponents were having a lot of the ball in midfield with only one player at a time interested in doing closing down. I wanted my two central midfielders to defend in a less staggered line and put a bit more coherent pressure on opponents in the middle of the pitch. This was done more out of frustration and to solve a specific in-match issue rather than actually expecting it to work as a day-to-day tactic. However, I liked what I was seeing enough that I ended up integrating it into my tactic permanently. With a bit of tweaking (dropped the line of engagement to stop them both going too early and leaving a hole, and put defensive width down and added tighter marking, hard tackling) it seems to be working well. As I'm using a balanced mentality, nobody seems to be running around like a headless chicken, the midfield two seem to be working together in maintaining defensive pressure against the opposition midfield quite well in defensive transitions, and because of the tighter marking and harder tackling when a little gap does open up, a defender tends to push up to deny the attacking midfielder or support striker too much having space. Having won the ball back, the BWM holds back and protects in front of my centre backs when I'm attacking. When we lose the ball some way up the pitch, he sometimes goes out to engage an opposition player trying to hold up the ball to start their counter-attack while my two defenders "sit" and provide cover the players attempting to run-off should the opposition manage to evade the press of my BWM.

So what I am seeing is that this instruction seems to be purely about what happens when your team has the ball. It limits the amount of forward runs and roaming the player does. In the defensive phase this "support-with-a-hold-position-instruction" acts with his higher mentality in terms of being inclined to close down a bit higher than the defensive duty would.

Has anyone had any success with Harry Kane this year? Or Tottenham as a whole? What system did you employ to get the most out of Kane and Son? I’m currently struggling to get both of them as productive as I know they can be. 

On 14/05/2022 at 22:35, odigweg said:

Has anyone had any success with Harry Kane this year? Or Tottenham as a whole? What system did you employ to get the most out of Kane and Son? I’m currently struggling to get both of them as productive as I know they can be. 

Haven't used them but a DLF(A) IF(A) combo for those two should do well 

On 13/05/2022 at 18:40, mikcheck said:

What does "hold position" really do? Can we say that is a mentality modifier? 

In what circumstances do you use it? If you do, of course. 

It keeps players from going forward so holding DM's or CM's. It's a hardcoded instruction for holding roles like the DLP and DM on Defend   

Em 16/05/2022 em 09:58, Johnny Ace disse:

It keeps players from going forward so holding DM's or CM's. It's a hardcoded instruction for holding roles like the DLP and DM on Defend   

Thanks, I was talking more about supporting players with that PI added but I understand now that it limits their forward runs and somehow their creativity too, maybe.

And what about players with contraditory PI and traits? Traits always win over other instructions, right?

Edited by mikcheck

Thanks, I was talking more about supporting players with that PI added but I understand now that it limits their forward runs and somehow their creativity too, maybe.

It would stifle them a bit but I'd think they'd still make forward movements 

And what about players with contraditory PI and traits? Traits always win over other instructions, right?

Yeah, traits are exactly that, a thing a player does, like a way they naturally play 

36 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Yeah, traits are exactly that, a thing a player does, like a way they naturally play 

No, Traits do not always win over instructions.  That makes it sound like instructions are overridden or ignored.  It’s a cumulative effect.  To over simplify - start with a team instruction then check player instructions which will add to or subtract from the TI (not override or ignore).  Then Traits are checked which in turn then add to or subtract from that initial TI to PI effect.

For example, lets say you have two players: one with the Trait to cut inside, the other without that Trait.  Set their role as an Inside Forward which has the PI to cut inside.  They will both cut inside but the one with the Trait will do it a little more often.  Now lets suppose that player without the Trait is given the Trait to stay wider (or whatever it’s called).  That player will still cut inside on occasion due to the PI but now he’ll do so a bit less often than before and stay wider a bit more often.  So in both examples Traits are not winning over PIs, there is a cumulative effect occurring which encourages players to do something more or less often.

So Traits can indeed be contradictory to instructions but that doesn’t mean instructions will be ignored.  Sometimes it can actually be beneficial - imagine a Winger (the role) along with a player who has the Trait to cut inside.  That can give you a greater variety of play.  Or perhaps you have an Inside Forward with the Trait to move into channels.  Of course it can work the other way as well, such as a holding midfielder with the Trait to get forward often.

5 hours ago, herne79 said:

No, Traits do not always win over instructions

That's not what I said :D But yeah, you explained it a lot better than I did, I sorta said it above with Hold Position, they still move forward and won't just stay in place. An Inside Forward might put in a cross, Traits or no Traits, a Winger might cut inside etc  

Any help on how to stop conceeding from opposition free kicks would be much appreciated. Every version of this game, they seem to find another way for you conceed from set pieces. Corners isnt too bad, but every time they get a free kick they find a player at the back post un-marked. I don't seem to be able to specifically set an instruction to go back, go towards the back post and head it clear! 

And I doubt there is much I can do about this, but I am conceeding a lot of goals in injury time as well... Any obvious things to try? 

(For context, I have Colchester in the Premier League after 5 seasons, coming from League 2, so even though the squad has improved, I am losing most weeks to these free kicks and last minute goals, becoming infuriating seeing the same thing over and over). 

Edited by LCFCEaves31

3 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

Any help on how to stop conceeding from opposition free kicks would be much appreciated. Every version of this game, they seem to find another way for you conceed from set pieces. Corners isnt too bad, but every time they get a free kick they find a player at the back post un-marked. I don't seem to be able to specifically set an instruction to go back, go towards the back post and head it clear! 

And I doubt there is much I can do about this, but I am conceeding a lot of goals in injury time as well... Any obvious things to try? 

(For context, I have Colchester in the Premier League after 5 seasons, coming from League 2, so even though the squad has improved, I am losing most weeks to these free kicks and last minute goals, becoming infuriating seeing the same thing over and over). 

There could be any number of ways:

• Making sure your taller players are back there defending them
  • Make sure your players have the mental attributes to cope with them
  • Stop giving away dangerous free kicks late on in the game
  • Maybe the game's trying to tell you your team have low Concentration

38 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

There could be any number of ways:

• Making sure your taller players are back there defending them
  • Make sure your players have the mental attributes to cope with them
  • Stop giving away dangerous free kicks late on in the game
  • Maybe the game's trying to tell you your team have low Concentration

• Making sure your taller players are back there defending them - They always are, my tallest players are my centre backs, other than that, we are not the biggest
  • Make sure your players have the mental attributes to cope with them - If you are talking bravery, I tend not to buy anyone (especially defensive wise) without at least 11/12 rating. What other stats do I need to look at?
  • Stop giving away dangerous free kicks late on in the game - I do not have 'Get stuck in' on, so what else can I do? 
  • Maybe the game's trying to tell you your team have low Concentration - Not too bad actually, around mid table and for a club our size with the players and budget I have, that isn't an issue I don't believe

2 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

What other stats do I need to look at?

Thinks like Anticipation and Concentration, so they're really focused late on in a game and can anticipate the danger 

2 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

I do not have 'Get stuck in' on, so what else can I do? 

Not a lot you can do really, just watch if it's a particular area on the field or a certain player giving away the fouls 

It could be your keeper's not great at getting things organised, have a look at his attributes and see if there's any clues there, things like Communication and his mental attributes 

28 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Thinks like Anticipation and Concentration, so they're really focused late on in a game and can anticipate the danger 

Not a lot you can do really, just watch if it's a particular area on the field or a certain player giving away the fouls 

It could be your keeper's not great at getting things organised, have a look at his attributes and see if there's any clues there, things like Communication and his mental attributes 

Every game we concede from a wide free kick, is it a bug?! Always near the byline, they always aim for far post and they always seem to score... 

I don't have the biggest team, but I also don't have a very big budget, but there must be something I can do. 

Again, anticipation and concentration levels aren't too bad, but I was predicted to finish 20th in Premier League, so guess that tells you a lot about what I am dealing with. 

10 minutes ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

Every game we concede from a wide free kick, is it a bug?!

Not that I know to, watch a couple of AI controlled games and see if they do the same, can't say I concede many from free kicks 

11 minutes ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

I was predicted to finish 20th in Premier League

That might tell you something and could be part of the reason, I guess you're doing better than that so keep on improving the squad 

Em 17/05/2022 em 14:24, herne79 disse:

No, Traits do not always win over instructions.  That makes it sound like instructions are overridden or ignored.  It’s a cumulative effect.  To over simplify - start with a team instruction then check player instructions which will add to or subtract from the TI (not override or ignore).  Then Traits are checked which in turn then add to or subtract from that initial TI to PI effect.

For example, lets say you have two players: one with the Trait to cut inside, the other without that Trait.  Set their role as an Inside Forward which has the PI to cut inside.  They will both cut inside but the one with the Trait will do it a little more often.  Now lets suppose that player without the Trait is given the Trait to stay wider (or whatever it’s called).  That player will still cut inside on occasion due to the PI but now he’ll do so a bit less often than before and stay wider a bit more often.  So in both examples Traits are not winning over PIs, there is a cumulative effect occurring which encourages players to do something more or less often.

So Traits can indeed be contradictory to instructions but that doesn’t mean instructions will be ignored.  Sometimes it can actually be beneficial - imagine a Winger (the role) along with a player who has the Trait to cut inside.  That can give you a greater variety of play.  Or perhaps you have an Inside Forward with the Trait to move into channels.  Of course it can work the other way as well, such as a holding midfielder with the Trait to get forward often.

@herne79that's a interesting post and I'd like to bring this back again for two situations I have in my team.

jjjjjjjj.jpg.675db9bf614f945eaa1c6cf272c611db.jpg

I successfully make my BWM(d) to learn the trait to get forward, as I had him on support but I didn't like how forward he was going, even with the "hold position" PI added. So I'm trying to make him still go forward but not as forward and not as much as I was seeing, because I need him to always be a passing outlet. So with that trait, even on a defend duty, we'll still go forward sometimes, depending on the situation and attributes like decisions, right?

The other situation is my AM(a). He is like a Messi kind of player, with good off the ball, creativity, flair, pace, agility and balance. Normally that role is on support duty, but I thought I was wasting his potential with a balanced mentality, as I think that kind of player deserves a more aggressive mentality, so that's why I changed him to attack and made him learn comes deep trait. So the same goes for this situation. Even though he has an aggressive mentality, we'll still comes deep, depending on the situation and attributes, correct? 

Thanks

On 19/05/2022 at 19:59, Johnny Ace said:

Not that I know to, watch a couple of AI controlled games and see if they do the same, can't say I concede many from free kicks 

That might tell you something and could be part of the reason, I guess you're doing better than that so keep on improving the squad 

Got relegated to championship, and I am still conceding goals in the last 5 mins of matches. You can understand sometimes why people feel the game works against you. In the last game, my centre back goes off for treatment and before I even had a chance to do anything about it the AI exploits it, equaliser... 88th minute. Then they had a chance to win it 94th but luckily missed. 

It happens every game. 3-1 game before last, conceeded 2 in last 10. It isn't concentation, I compared us with the rest of league and we are above average in that area. Feels like it is just stuck in a cycle this save, cannot do anything about it.

In more postitive news, I do at least feel like I have sorted the set play issues.