Several questions about team instructions

I've been playing FM since 2005 but still have some questions about team instructions. I've read Tactical Theorems and various other guides but still can't find answers.

1. There are 7 clicks of the "Passing style" slider for short passes. So, what exactly difference between passing style 1 click and 3 clicks? I understand that with passing 5 clicks the player will tend to make longer passes than with 2 clicks, but how exactly longer? What exact passing distance refers for short passing 7 clicks? Is it defined absolutely (in metres or feet) or relatively to playing width?
  2. What exactly does "Counter-attack" option? I mean what is the difference between team attacks with and without this option. I always watch full matches and still can't notice the difference.
  3. What exactly "Tempo" defines? I read an article on FM-Britain and it said that tempo defines how impatiently your team is while attacking. And it seems that impatience depends on "Tempo" / "Time-wasting"
    ratio. If I'd like my team to make more passes, should I set high tempo and high time-wasting? I tried different combinations, tried high tempo and high time-wasting, high tempo and low time-wasting, low tempo and low time-wasting and the amount of passes was always the same.

1, the pass slider as i understand it relates more to the range of passing you want the player to aim for not the length.

2, this option means upon gaining Possesion in your half your team switches to overload mentalities until the phase of play is stopped

3, I have no definitive answer to this one, just to say that imo: low time wasting your team will play more forward passes.

1, the pass slider as i understand it relates more to the range of passing you want the player to aim for not the length.

2, this option means upon gaining Possesion in your half your team switches to overload mentalities until the phase of play is stopped

3, I have no definitive answer to this one, just to say that imo: low time wasting your team will play more forward passes.

Thank you for your answer.)

Any ideas about range of passing? Is it exact value or relative to pitch size or width of play?

There is a thread about counter-attack, and there is a very interesting post:

Here's how the match engine works:

- Your team will automatically launches a counter-attack if your team have x amount of players against y amount of their defenders. I can't remember the x and y, but obviously, it's when y is low, and x has of good ratio (eg. 1:1) to y.

What counter-attack "box" does is:

- It lowers the amount x for counter-attack to happen. So, for argument sake, if the old formula was 1:1 ratio, with y at most 4 defenders, then your team will only counter-attack if you have at least 4 attackers to their 4 defenders, or better odds. If you don't have this odd, then your players will slow down the play, and try to build up the attack with the rest of the team. If you tick the box, then that number required for them to counter-attack will be lowered to 3 attackers to 4 defenders.

I've read about tempo, that it defines how fast your team will get to the opposition penalty area. And time-wasting - how much your team will digress from its aim. But does it mean that high time-wasting is equal to low tempo?

Archived