No more Catenaccio! - Italian Total Football by Antonio Conte

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a "Perfect" tactic. I've tried to recreate ingame as more as possible the philosophy of Juventus manager Antonio Conte. I earned good results with different teams and so I'd like to share this experiment with everyone! Hope you'll enjoy...

from www.gazzetta.it

Once upon a time, Conte the “integralist”. The 4-2-4 man, the one who “Keep me everything away, but my formation”.

He always had a manager mentality, since he was on the pitch wearing Juventus shirt.

He refined himself in lower teams, he got noticed with Atalanta and Siena. Juve chose him to come back to victory, but especially to see well-played football after some dark years.

So he accepts the challenge, working hard on his 4-2-4 since summer, until the first league matches. Faithful in his belief, Juventus bet much money on wingers, but something suddenly changes: maybe new players (but also old, look at Krasic) give no certainty of success; maybe Pirlo and Vidal are a bit sacrified in 4-2-4, but Conte easily unterstand that he could obtain much more. So he changes, with no doubt.

He tests 4-2-3-1 (5th day vs. Catania, 1-1), 4-1-4-1 (6th day vs. Milan, 2-0), he come back to 4-2-4 then permanently switches to 4-3-3 (9th day vs. Fiorentina, 2-1).

Juve finally find a shape, Conte his formation. In the matches against Napoli and Roma, Estigarribia playing in the left side brings the team to an attacking 3-4-3, but the substance is the same.

We can define it as a classical 4-3-3, with a pushed up defensive line and a narrow triangle in the midfield equipment, where we can see a defensive playmaker (Pirlo) and a couple of central midfielders. This takes the best advantage from Vidal and Marchisio of their ability in running deep forward.

Then, the attacking trio: a single strikers (Matri) with two wide forwards. Usually, in the right side we see much inclination to cut inside, helping the attacking movements of the right fullback, Lichtsteiner. Nevertheless, the right forward is a pure winger (Pepe), supplying the movements of central midfielders with a huge number of crosses. On the other hand, the left forward is a pure inside striker (Vucinic), playing wide but with license to roam from his usual position. Matri is the complete forward, good at scoring, heading, tackling, ball possessing and passing. Trade marks of this formation? Great ball possession, pitch supremacy (until now, every team that played against Juve has an average of 5 minutes per match spent in attacking zone), and a huge number of scoring opportunities.

The great advantage of Mr. Conte is a powerful collective, here they are role by role:

GK: GIANLUIGI BUFFON. The best, nothing more to say.

DR: STEPHAN LICHTSTEINER. The swiss-made arrow has 4 lungs. Wonderful both in defensive than in attacking phase.

DL: GIORGIO CHIELLINI. A little more defensive, a little less attacking and technic, but the substance never changes.

DC: ANDREA BARZAGLI. Maybe the best italian defender at the moment: insurmontable by every opponent, and from his feet starts the 90% of Juventus attacking actions.

DC: LEONARDO BONUCCI. Typical limited defender, fast and good in heading, but sometimes in trouble at 1vs1.

DMC: ANDREA PIRLO. Put him instead of Xavi or Iniesta in Barça's formation, and you won't feel any difference.

CC: ARTURO VIDAL. Chilean crazy horse, he's always the first man tu run towards the ball possessor of opponents team. A wonderful filter and the perfect shadow of Pirlo and Marchisio.

CC: CLAUDIO MARCHISIO. Hugely talented player, he's finally expressing his great ability in running deep forward and interacting with Matri (see the goal against Inter).

RF: SIMONE PEPE. Most of Juve supporters criticized his signing. Now is one of the most loved players. He's not Nani, he's not Nedved, but every match is like a World Cup final for him. He's everywhere.

LF: MIRKO VUCINIC. Eccentric striker, he may sleep for 89 minutes during a match, but he'll always have one more rabbit in his hat to create something.

ST: ALESSANDRO MATRI. He's not the merciless “goalkeepers killer” like David Trezeguet, but he can score, support, defend ball and press the opponent. The complete forward.

2u44rhi.jpg

NOTE: Every players has personal custom settings. I'm gonna screen'em as soon as possible...

http://www.4shared.com/file/9Rs9OKd7/4-3-3juve_v1__Juventus_Jul_201.html

Finally someone has made a Conte tactic , been waiting for this since a while lol and I'll especially pay attention to the movement of the 2 cms because this is very important in the game of JUVE at this moment . Will test with Man U and report of results . EDIT : Is Carrick suitable for the pirlo role ?

I'm a big fan of Juventus and Antonio Conte. To recreate his style of football you will need fast and hardworker players, 'cause his Juventus has a lot of stamina and press the whole pitch every minute.

Correct. I'll focus my work on this formation particularly on the movements of the two midfielders. Any help/suggestion/criticism will be well accepted, that's not a finished tactic, just a starting point...

@NeJebi

You can thank the italians and the dutch for inventing total football. It was not Barcelona who invented total football they just practised it now.

So dont tease the italians because the have been playing like this before. AC Milan in the early 90ies and other teams...

On topic:

I am gonna try this because i like the style, and its based on total football from other places than barca.

Forza Milan :D

@NeJebi

You can thank the italians and the dutch for inventing total football. It was not Barcelona who invented total football they just practised it now.

So dont tease the italians because the have been playing like this before. AC Milan in the early 90ies and other teams...

On topic:

I am gonna try this because i like the style, and its based on total football from other places than barca.

Forza Milan :D

Barcelona don't play total football.

Btw, tried the tactic with Liverpool, won 5-0 away at Wolves, Carroll getting a goal & 2 assists.

• 2 weeks later...
i like conte and the way he has got juventus playing, a lot of pundits say they play a 4 2 4 but i dont think they set up like that, if anything they play a 4 2 3 1 or 4 3 3

4-2-4 was the original plan, now we're mainly playing an offensive 4-3-3; 4-5-1 without the ball.

i wonder how borriello will fit in there reports say a deal is almost done strange one for me, juve are very top heavy at the moment

The deal is done and Borriello should rotate with Matri in the central striker position, some others should leave: Amauri, Iaquinta, Toni...

Archived