Explosion in London Underground

defusion

ATTACKS KILL 45, REPORTS

At least 45 people are reported to have been killed and 1,000 injured in a series of co-ordinated terror attacks on London.

Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt said the figures, which could rise, were from a reliable, but unofficial source.

He also reported that it is understood that seven were killed in the bus blast in Tavistock Square.

A previously unknown group calling itself "Secret Organisation al Qaeda in Europe" said it carried out the attacks as revenge for British "military massacres" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

from sky news

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Umm No. Fighting against the Soviets had stopped earlier in the 80s, and the US supported the Taliban when USSR invaded Afghanistan in the late 70s/early 80s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al Qaeda was formed by Osama bin Laden in 1988 to support Afghanistan and USA helped AL Qaeda as they helped the fascits in South America and Franco and Salazar in Spain and Portugal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Why are we being kept in the dark about the Death Count? It just causes roumers which isnt good </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Becuase no one knows or will know the official death count for a while. Bombs were involved. That means people have been blown to bits probably so its not as easy as just counting dead bodies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Why are we being kept in the dark about the Death Count? It just causes roumers which isnt good </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

because nobody knows, ITV news have just said they wont speculate this early. All they know is that there are deaths

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Henry_14:

footage on bbc news - police van nearly crashes with silver car </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw that.

Scotland Yard were apparently carrying out a terrorist training exercise when the alert happened. (ITV) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was the context of this? Nearly crashed when the bomb went off?

No one knows thats why.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Henry_14:

the BMA building by the bus is splatered in blood. Sounds horrible, like something out of a film </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Splattered doesn't do the scene justice. There are blood stains up to 20 feet from the ground visible from a good distance away. The idea that only a couple of people died in that is just daft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where are you getting these pictures from?

Would policing in London not have been less than usual with many going to Edinburgh for the G8 summit?

Most of Denmark was hoovered for police, as they all went to Copenhagen for Bush's 16-hour visit. The policing there was larger than I've ever seen, on a 15-minute bus trip I saw about two dozen of police vehicles, and policemen on every 500 metres - and at that time Bush hadn't even landed in Denmark yet.

So I don't like the threats against Denmark, seeing as I live in the second-largest city here :-/

Guest Saskatchewanian

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

I don't think the 205 goes that way so i thinks its more likely to be a 30 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neither of them go that way normally, but they were diverted this morning as Euston Road toward King's Cross was shut down.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daaaaave:

listen, can you people f*ck off with the death toll for a while? it was an horrific attack and the number killed will will lessen or amplify the nature of it. the last thing this thread needs (aside from ***** bitching about 24) is to turn into a f*cking auctionhouse thread like the madrid bombing where every ******* comes out of the woodwork with a higher death toll. d </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And death tolls confuse thing, when faced with a number like, say, 60 dead you forget that they're people who have lived for years, have mothers, fathers, children, spouses etc.

Which is why I'm expecting the new tonight to focus in on one family or something who have been affected.

Theres not point in anyone saying "x people have died" when either x will turn out to be far too high and people blame the government for causing unessary (sp?) panick, or x will turn out to be far too low, in which case they will be accused of a cover-up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Kennett:

footage on bbc news - police van nearly crashes with silver car </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw that.

Scotland Yard were apparently carrying out a terrorist training exercise when the alert happened. (ITV) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was the context of this? Nearly crashed when the bomb went off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it was just a Police Van getting a signal to turn right but the car thought the signal was for them and started to move off as a police van cut them up.

Other news:

Al Qaeda has killed the Egyption envoy who they kidnapped in Iraq. (ITV)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phat Phish:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

the BMA building by the bus is splatered in blood. Sounds horrible, like something out of a film </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Splattered doesn't do the scene justice. There are blood stains up to 20 feet from the ground visible from a good distance away. The idea that only a couple of people died in that is just daft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where are you getting these pictures from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BBC.co.uk there is a set of pictures, its about the 5th picture.

scum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you feel the same about the people dropping bombs on little kids in iraq ? or do some lives have more value than others ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Kennett:

I saw that.

What was the context of this? Nearly crashed when the bomb went off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the clip was of police responding and a silver car didnt slow down as a police van cut across its path to turn right. The car had to slam on its brakes. It was nothing important just something i noticed which made me chuckle slightly

Of what relevance is the silver car? Was it just a car that belonged to Joe Public or is there more to it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James23485:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phat Phish:

BBC.co.uk there is a set of pictures, its about the 5th picture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heres the exact link. Pic 5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by loyalwolvesfan:

Of what relevance is the silver car? Was it just a car that belonged to Joe Public or is there more to it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no relevance whatsoever just a 2 second clip where i noticed it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

I can't see any blood in thast picture? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are patches of red upon the wall behind the bus.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Yesterday, we were annoyed with Londoners and English people. London won the games and Paris lost them. And today we wake up. We realise that these little fights between old friends are for spoilt children. We are all facing a huge challenge. We have all to fight terrorism. We are all Londoners today. We all feel sad and share the pain of the one who are suffering today. Do not worry my friends, we will be with you in this fight and we will win it.

Julien, Paris, France </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From the deepest reaches of my heart, I feel for you. I hope and pray that God sees your pain and helps with it. You have your 9-11 today. For that I truly am sorry. But it will get better and the sun will shine. Thank you for your support during our time of need and offer my family's support in your time of need. May God bless you and keep you safe.

Marc Barker, Walterboro, SC, USA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those quotes are very uplifting, good to see the civilised world is with us, like Blair said the attack is on all of us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Enigma:

The footage of that bus is disturbing. For Londoners who travel on buses that look just like that isn't it a damn weird feeling seeing one looking like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IS it the one where its just sliced open? That really did scare me how it had been opened up like we open tin cans

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James23485:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

There are patches of red upon the wall behind the bus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They look like the bars from the bus that people hold on to tbh.

Those are clearly the bars of the bus?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yovan:

Al Qaeda was formed by Osama bin Laden in 1988 to support Afghanistan (and more) and USA helped AL Qaeda as they helped the fascits in South America and Franco and Salazar in Spain and Portugal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it was formed then, but was built up from groups who originally formed in 1979 during the height of the Cold War. During this period the US backed many organisations who compated what they deemed 'The Evil Empire'. But you can't blame Bush for today's attacks.

BBC News. Initially I thought it was damage cause by the explosion, but the camera zoomed in, and it was unmistakably blood.

Other news:

Al Qaeda has killed the Egyption envoy who they kidnapped in Iraq. (ITV) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure that's Al Queda?

I thought they would be some sort of Iraqi 'insurgents'/terrorists.

Al Queda don't operate in Iraq as far as I know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doofus:

Other news:

Al Qaeda has killed the Egyption envoy who they kidnapped in Iraq. (ITV) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure that's Al Queda?

I thought they would be some sort of Iraqi 'insurgents'/terrorists.

Al Queda don't operate in Iraq as far as I know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just reporting what was being said, but now you mention it, it should be Al Zaqawi's group.

Those are clearly the bars of the bus? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought- look at pic 4 you can see the bars

BBC News. Initially I thought it was damage cause by the explosion, but the camera zoomed in, and it was unmistakably blood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm referring to the entrance to the BMA building near where the bus was when it exploded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

apparently victoria and charing cross are now operating

im going to try and get a train home

later dudes, be safe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't the police to stay where you are?? I'd just stay on the safe side personally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luke99:

That's what I thought- look at pic 4 you can see the bars </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've no idea why that picture is being linked to. it's not the one to which I'm referring.

This is the alert my work (HQ in London) has just put out. Scary stuff. I wouldn't live in London for all the money in the world.

Staff should stay put and not travel around London until further notice.

Senior managers in sectors must compile of priority list of staff who face serious difficulties getting home. Priority should be given to those people living outside London.

This list must be sent to x in Facilities by 2pm.

Hotel rooms have been provisionally booked and we are trying to book more.

It is not clear how the situation will develop through the afternoon but we are following police advice to stay put.

Further advice about travelling home today and what may happen tomorrow will be issued later in the day. Another bulletin will be issued at 2.30pm.

The major incident has caused concern and confusion across London. While it is still too soon to say exactly what has happened, we must reassure colleagues that there is no immediate threat in this area and call for continued calm.

We will give regular updates giving the latest information on transport issues, casualties and advice from the police. All information given in these updates will be confirmed from an official source.

Latest Situation:

There are six explosion sites including one on a bus. All emergency services are at this scene as well as: Edgware Rd, Kings Cross, Liverpool St, Russell Sq, Aldgate East, Moorgate underground stations.

ADVICE from the Chief Commissioner Sir Ian Blair:

Please stay where you are – do not attempt to move around London

The situation is confused but is coming under control and an emergency plan is in action

It is too early to speculate and there is no confirmation about what has happened

Please do not call emergency services unless it is a life threatening situation

A telephone number for people concerned about friends and family will be announced soon

There will be a separate detailed bulletin about transport lines shortl

TRANSPORT AROUND AND OUT OF LONDON – update 1.15pm

UNDERGROUND

All underground services are suspended.

Mainline stations closed:

Kings Cross

St Pancras

Euston

Liverpool Street

Canon Street

Other stations closed:

Brighton, Swindon, Poole.

BUSES

All bus services in Zone 1 are suspended

National Express has suspended coach services in and out of London

GNER

Not operating between Peterborough and Kings Cross.

Kings Cross station closed.

CHILTERN RAILWAY

A very limited service is currently running to & from central London.

All passengers are advised to travel to Denham on the London Marylebone-Denham shuttle service.

From Denham, buses will travel to High Wycombe, Beaconsfield, Gerrards Cross and Seer Green & Jordans.

If you are travelling to Great Missenden, take the bus to High Wycombe, for another bus to Great Missenden.

If you are travelling to Aylesbury, take the bus to High Wycombe, a train to Princes Risborough, for a train to Aylesbury. Alternatively, take a bus from High Wycombe to Great Missenden for a train to Aylesbury.

SOUTH WEST TRAINS

Services running normally and Waterloo station remains open.

SOUTH EAST TRAINS

Services from London Victoria disrupted

Services from Charing Cross disrupted

Cannon Street station closed

SILVERLINK

No services and unlikely to run for 24 hours.

FIRST GREAT WESTERN

No services out of Paddington or Southall.

Services running from Reading.

HEATHROW EXPRESS

Services are suspended

DOCKLANDS LIGHT RAILWAY

Servies currently suspended

No current information from:

Virgin; Connex; Thameslink;

RIVER SERVICES

Thames Clippers are providing free travel on all boats to and from the following London piers:

Savoy (Cleopatra’s Needle)

Blackfriars

Bankside (Tate Modern)

London Bridge (south side near Hay’s Galleria)

St Katharine Docks (Tower Bridge)

Canary Wharf (Canary Riverside)

Greenland (Surrey Quays)

Masthouse Terrace (Isles of Dogs)

Greenwich

Woolwich

Arsenal

Updates to follow

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luke99:

That's what I thought- look at pic 4 you can see the bars </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've no idea why that picture is being linked to. it's not the one to which I'm referring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry my fault, mistook the bars for blood on my sh*tty monitor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kolin:

i'm trying to buy some goods from a store/shop in florida, and they've just emailed me to say "sorry about the terrorism"

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So they are the culprits, damn Florida shops

Archived