Explosion in London Underground

defusion

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SDaveS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

apparently victoria and charing cross are now operating

im going to try and get a train home

later dudes, be safe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive heard Victoria is closed. I'd advise walking to somewhere outside of the center and then checking your transport from there. Will be chaos in any major stations, and not very helpful to emergency services.

Haven't the police to stay where you are?? I'd just stay on the safe side personally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

scum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you feel the same about the people dropping bombs on little kids in iraq ? or do some lives have more value than others ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference you prat is that the Allied forces do not "target" little kids in Iraq. Their targets are people who are fanatics who will readily kill other people for no other reason than they live in the western world and live in a deomcracy.

People within Al Quaeda are terrorists who will kill anyone, be it man, woman or child, without any thought for human life. In Iraq this "scum" have hidden thmeselves within the local people and in effect use them as a shield to protect themselves. They know that if we want to kill them then there are going to be civilians killed as well in some cases.

Do not even compare these inhumane extremeist nutcases with our own armed forces icon15.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

scum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you feel the same about the people dropping bombs on little kids in iraq ? or do some lives have more value than others ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well i protested against the war in iraq so yes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luke99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James23485:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

I can't see any blood in thast picture? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are patches of red upon the wall behind the bus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are clearly the bars of the bus? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought- look at pic 4 you can see the bars </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've no idea why that picture is being linked to. it's not the one to which I'm referring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Where did you see it then? TV or what??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

scum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you feel the same about the people dropping bombs on little kids in iraq ? or do some lives have more value than others ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The difference you prat is that the Allied forces do not "target" little kids in Iraq. Their targets are people who are fanatics who will readily kill other people for no other reason than they live in the western world and live in a deomcracy.

People within Al Quaeda are terrorists who will kill anyone, be it man, woman or child, without any thought for human life. In Iraq this "scum" have hidden thmeselves within the local people and in effect use them as a shield to protect themselves. They know that if we want to kill them then there are going to be civilians killed as well in some cases.

Do not even compare these inhumane extremeist nutcases with our own armed forces icon15.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have killed more innocents in Iraq than Al-Qaeda have killed in all of their terrorist attacks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Majalo:

******* hell! icon_frown.gif

A passenger was blown out of the bottom of a tubetrain into the path of another tube train.

Jeezus that is absolutely shocking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a link to that story?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by X-Pac:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serpico:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luke99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James23485:

I can't see any blood in thast picture? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are patches of red upon the wall behind the bus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are clearly the bars of the bus? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I thought- look at pic 4 you can see the bars </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've no idea why that picture is being linked to. it's not the one to which I'm referring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Where did you see it then? TV or what?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On BBC 1.

i know it's early days in this, but does anyone else think that this could have been so much worse, given the targets and the time of morning.

how's the emergency services handled all this? have they done a super job? and been really organised? or has it been a bit of a shambles?

it seems (from reading the bbc reports) that it's been working really well.

Right Im about to walk home Westminster to Streatham. I'd feel sorry for myself, but Im dreading seeing the pictures on the news this evening, so just glad to be ok really.

Everyone I know down here is present and correct too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">how's the emergency services handled all this? have they done a super job? and been really organised? or has it been a bit of a shambles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it looks like they've done a first class job, looks like the training they did last year for an chemical attack has done the trick icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

scum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not even compare these inhumane extremeist nutcases with our own armed forces icon15.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have killed more innocents in Iraq than Al-Qaeda have killed in all of their terrorist attacks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you been keeping count like ??

Like I said, these people mix in with civilians so when we do manage to target and kill them, unfortunately innocent people die too icon_frown.gif

They know they would be crushed in straight facer to face combat so they use these dirty tactics without any thought for innocent peoples lives.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kolin:

i know it's early days in this, but does anyone else think that this could have been so much worse, given the targets and the time of morning.

how's the emergency services handled all this? have they done a super job? and been really organised? or has it been a bit of a shambles?

it seems (from reading the bbc reports) that it's been working really well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I see and hear they seem to have done an excellent job, it's what they trained for.

Remember in 2003 when there was that big training exercise?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Eric!:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Majalo:

******* hell! icon_frown.gif

A passenger was blown out of the bottom of a tubetrain into the path of another tube train.

Jeezus that is absolutely shocking </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it was on BBC1

You have a link to that story? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

I think it could've been a lot, lot worse. When I first found out I was half expecting to hear that a bomb had gone off in the areas people were being evacuated to, that really wouldnt have surprised me. Yes it coulda been a lot worse. From what it seems the emergency folk get a big icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

scum </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have killed more innocents in Iraq than Al-Qaeda have killed in all of their terrorist attacks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you been keeping count like ??

Like I said, these people mix in with civilians so when we do manage to target and kill them, unfortunately innocent people die too icon_frown.gif

They know they would be crushed in straight facer to face combat so they use these dirty tactics without any thought for innocent peoples lives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the last count was about 50k Iraqis killed since the war. Since 2k were killed on 9/11 I think it's a reasonable assumption.

Today is horrific don't get me wrong, but I think our governments should take some of the blame for this.

I don't agree with the Iraq situation either, but certainly you can see the difference between planting bombs in the tube and buses than military activity in Iraq? Unless the military is planting bombs inside trains and buses, it just is not the same. It is apples and oranges.

Muslim extremists have an ignorant world view, based on the statements they make. Those statements must make sense to their 'Islamic warriors' but they make little sense to people who actually understand how the world works. Insurgency attacks against the new Iraqi government, Iraqi police, and military personnel is legitimate in terms of war. Attacking military and the government in Afghanistan would be legitimate. Planting bombs in subways and buses is not legitimate. That's the bottom line.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by come_on_poolies:

I go out early for the first time ever and all hell breaks loose.

Typical.

Shocking stuff though. Got 13 pages to read through for a summary, unless anyone wants to condense the last five hours for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4 explosions (3 on the tube, 1 on a bus) 45 announced as dead at last count plus upto 1000 injured, some Al Qaeda group has taken the credit for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Don't know if this is connected or not but apparently the Arndale Centre and other areas of Central Manchester have been evacuated :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think they're doing that as a precaution in a few cities?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by come_on_poolies:

Shocking stuff though. Got 13 pages to read through for a summary, unless anyone wants to condense the last five hours for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seven bombs have went off in central London, six on tube trains and one on a double decker bus.

A terrorist group who claims to have ties to Al Quaida have claimed responsibility, although this is still unverified.

Seems like Surburban Overground train services are starting to get back to normal. Euston, Victoria, Paddington have been reopened. St Pancras and Liverpool Street hoping to open soon, and King's Cross possibly opening by the end of the day.

okay, so do many of you think "thats it, it's over now", or are you half expecting something a bit bigger to happen?

in my opinion, in the big picture of attacking the capital of a country, it seems relatively 'tame' (yes i know people have died in the blasts and as a result of injuries) compared to New York and Madrid went through.

I personally am half expecting something bigger to happen.

horrific stuff in london, can't imagine what it must be like

there's been 1 or 2 controlled explosions here in poole. they barricaded off the town centre, and there were loads of people surrounding it crying and everything so i was sh*tting it thinking something had happened. i guess there must be similar scenes all round the country.

I think the last count was about 50k Iraqis killed since the war. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen numbers around 23k-25k, which includes civilian deaths by all means (US, Britain, Iraq, insurgents, etc).

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K-uglen:

Seven bombs have went off in central London, six on tube trains and one on a double decker bus.

A terrorist group who claims to have ties to Al Quaida have claimed responsibility, although this is still unverified. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4 bombs affecting 7 sites

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Seems like Surburban Overground train services are starting to get back to normal. Euston, Victoria, Paddington have been reopened. St Pancras and Liverpool Street hoping to open soon, and King's Cross possibly opening by the end of the day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any news on charing cross??

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD:

Surely there wont be more now that everyones staying put, who would they be targeting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, all the people staying put who can't get out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tim1000000:

horrific stuff in london, can't imagine what it must be like

there's been 1 or 2 controlled explosions here in poole. they barricaded off the town centre, and there were loads of people surrounding it crying and everything so i was sh*tting it thinking something had happened. i guess there must be similar scenes all round the country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

imo something went wrong so wasn't as bad as it could have been, possibly unexploded devices somewhere. Think it's over now though if there was anything else planned it would have been to detonate another one when all the emergency services were attending the scene of the bus explosion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Seems like Surburban Overground train services are starting to get back to normal. Euston, Victoria, Paddington have been reopened. St Pancras and Liverpool Street hoping to open soon, and King's Cross possibly opening by the end of the day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any news on charing cross?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that might be open, there was another station that has definetly reopened but I missed which one it was.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kolin:

okay, so do many of you think "thats it, it's over now", or are you half expecting something a bit bigger to happen?

in my opinion, in the big picture of attacking the capital of a country, it seems relatively 'tame' (yes i know people have died in the blasts and as a result of injuries) compared to New York and Madrid went through.

I personally am half expecting something bigger to happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think so.. the style is a series of "simultaneous" attacks and that has happened now. Maybe the toll isn't as high as in other countries but I can't see all this simply being the precursor for anything else

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Enigma:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD:

Surely there wont be more now that everyones staying put, who would they be targeting? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, all the people staying put who can't get out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but wouldnt one of the first things done be to look for other devices?

Unlikely there is anything else that will happen, based on past experience. Al-Qaeda doesn't pull off events in stages. They have their co-ordinated operation and then drop off the map for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Well that was an interesting few hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How involved were you? :/

I personally am half expecting something bigger to happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anything else will follow. this kind of attacks are done at the same time.

and al qaeda already claimed the attacks, if there was others planned, they'd only claim in the end.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Enigma:

Um, all the people staying put who can't get out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but wouldnt one of the first things done be to look for other devices? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I agree if they were gonna do something like blow up people being rescued / people doing the rescuing it would surely have happened by now but I dunno.. can't really discount anything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Glad to hear you are alright.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

Oh dear Jep. Confusing Iraqis with Al Qaeda.

Just don't bother starting to debate that because you haven't got a clue what you're talking about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

STFU - do I know you, errrr no so how the feck can you say I know nothing about Iraqis and Al Quaeda.

I never said the two were the same at all. If I gave that impression then I am sorry. I was actually referring to terrorist factions in general, insurgent forces in Iraq have the same mentality as members of Al Quaeda in that they hide in the shadows and carry out cowardly attacks such as these bombings in London, killing many innocent civilians.

I think you need to check your attiude boy before making sweeping statements icon15.gif

A man who escaped a Tube train which was ripped apart by a blast said he was lucky to get out alive.

Ian Wade was in a carriage next to one which exploded as he travelled to work with his wife on the Piccadilly Line.

He said he saw horrific injuries - including people with missing limbs - and believes at least one person may have died.

The couple were trapped on the train for 15 minutes before they were led to safety through a tunnel.

Mr Wade, 35, was with his wife Evie when a bomb exploded in the carriage next to his around 0840 BST on Thursday.

Glass caved in

He said: "We had just got through King's Cross and I heard an almighty 'boom, boom' and the carriage stopped immediately. The electricity went completely and the carriage filled with soot.

"We could just make out what was in front but nothing else. The explosion was on the ceiling of the carriage in front and all the glass from the carriage had caved in. People were trying to kick the windows in.

Mr Wade, who works in finance, added: "I could see there were people with their clothes burned off...people with limbs missing.

"There must have been at least one death in there. I have never known anything like it."

My wife Evie really thought that we were going to die

Ian Wade

He added: "My wife Evie really thought that we were going to die. It was just 'boom' and that was it. I couldn't think straight."

Mr Wade and his wife were inside the carriage for 15 minutes before they were able to get out.

"When the emergency services arrived, we all had to walk through the carriage in front to get out.

"Luckily there was a lot of straight thinking people on the Tube - there was only a few people who were losing it or screaming, but they were in the carriage where the blast happened."

The passengers were led to safety through the train and on to the tracks after staff had shut off the power. They were then guided back to King's Cross.

He praised the ambulance, police and London Underground for the way in which they dealt with the situation.

He said: "They kept checking we were okay then they led us to the Methodist Church nearby and gave us a cup of tea."

Mr Wade summed up his thoughts: "I don't know what to think. I've lived in London all my life and I've never experienced anything like this."

Glad you're alright mate.

Archived