Explosion in London Underground

defusion

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Enigma:

BBC reporter in bad choice of words:

"Underneath the surface people are acutely aware of this" icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Canada news said the G8 was derailed.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jep:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deerokus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phreaky:

For those that missed it:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The heroic mujahidin have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern and western quarters.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fraid not, guys. we're a bit tougher than that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am worried about the North, East, South and West part. Does that mean 4 major cities in these areas of the UK ?? I certainly hope not icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is just an expression stating everyone around the country is frightened.

Well that was an interesting morning.

I had a couple of meetings in Canary Wharf so went in later than normal, around 9am. I did consider getting the tube at one point as the trains were a bit mashed due to other normal Thameslink crapness, but in the end got the train to London Bridge to get the Jubbly line to CW.

When I got to LB, the underground station was closed which I thought weird, as normally they only close due to overcrowding at peak times. As I walked around the station there were several signs saying a power failure had occurred.

I started looking for a cab which soon turned into mission impossible, so instead I tried my hand on the buses. Heading east I quickly realised I'd have to go over Tower Bridge to get to CW. So I got off the bus and crossed the bridge on foot. Miraculously the DLR was still running, and I took the direct train to CW.

All the way I'd been listening to BBC London on the radio which was still reporting a power surge on the underground. Just as I dismounted as CW and crossed into Cabot Square for my meeting the guy on the radio said "we're just hearing about an incident on a bus" at which point I discounted it as speculation, turned my phone off and stepped inside. At that point I had no doubts this was just another electrical/tube problem.

By the time I exited the meeting at 12 noon London seemed to be a different place. I had several missed calls, unanswered texts and voicemails, some of which I couldn't answer because the cellphone network seemed maxed out. We found out the ferry service was still running, which indeed it was, so I took that back to the City. This was free of charge, good show Thames Clipper, the company that runs it. It was packed with everyone talking to each other about what had been going on, and about random things just to keep our minds off it and keep spirits up.

I realised I might as well walk back home, not made any easier due to the fact it was ****ing it down. In the end I got to Elephant and Castle where I managed to get a bus home and finally answered all my texts etc.

So now I'm home and safe and waiting to see how things develop. Personally I liked Ken's speech, and I'm looking forward to getting back to normal very quickly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thefinalbroadcast:

I can only add to what others have said about the work done by the emergency services. Arguably, they've saved a lot of lives today and my infinite respect goes out to them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed - I think they have been expertly prepared for such an event, and it seems that their work along with the sensible approach of the London public has kept the situation as clam and safe as was possible under such strenuous circumstances icon14.gif

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I realised I might as well walk back home, not made any easier due to the fact it was ****ing it down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that, from Tottenham Court Road to Hammersmith. Got f*cking soaked icon_biggrin.gificon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skybluedave:

What's happening at Victoria? Have they shut it aor anything. That was how I plan on getting home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It should be open shortly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skybluedave:

What's happening at Victoria? Have they shut it aor anything. That was how I plan on getting home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to conferance was closed for now because of a bomb threat, no more news about it.

Hoping to have parts of the tube reopen once security & safety checks have been done

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cristiano Ronaldooooooooo:

According to conferance was closed for now because of a bomb threat, no more news about it.

Hoping to have parts of the tube reopen once security & safety checks have been done </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that victoria underground? The national rail best be working.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cristiano Ronaldooooooooo:

Hoping to have parts of the tube reopen once security & safety checks have been done </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who can be such a c*nt to, with all that has happened, make a prank about a bomb? Jesus.

Is that victoria underground? The national rail best be working. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never said which i'd presume the Underground station but was just "Victoria Station"

Is that victoria underground? The national rail best be working. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never said which i'd presume the Underground station but was just "Victoria Station" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assumed it was the mainline station because they were going through the lists of mainlines at the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marco Vicente:

who can be such a c*nt to, with all that has happened, make a prank about a bomb? Jesus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone leaves something behind by mistake and with the days events people are going to assum e the worst - unless you've heard otherwise, there is no reason to assume it was a prank caller.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gamesrater:

Someone leaves something behind by mistake and with the days events people are going to assum e the worst - unless you've heard otherwise, there is no reason to assume it was a prank caller. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

didn't think of that, you're probably right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worcester City Researcher 6-4:

Any confirmation or info on what has happened in Birmingham? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea. From the non-vantage point of my office window overlooking Fiveways island, everything looks same old same old.

I can assure you that the Hawthorns has not blown up because it looks undamaged from here, but that's about it icon_biggrin.gif. There's traffic congestion on Hagley Road but, well, it's Hagley Road.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Jones:

who is this Tim O Toole at the press conference shown on the beeb at the moment? I can't quite make out his job title. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something to do with the Underground

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Jones:

who is this Tim O Toole at the press conference shown on the beeb at the moment? I can't quite make out his job title. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something to do with the Underground </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't Timmy O'Toole the little boy created by Bart Simpson in the "Falling down the Well" episode of The Simpsons?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worcester City Researcher 6-4:

Wasn't Timmy O'Toole the little boy created by Bart Simpson in the "Falling down the Well" episode of The Simpsons? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew it rang a bell icon_biggrin.gif

i think hes the bloke in charge of the underground

head of london transport authority i think

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle:

just woke up to hear the news, shocking as f*ck. I hope all the Londoners on the board are OK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3:30 in the afternoon? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah icon_biggrin.gif

Rumour denied - Police sniper shoots bomber at Canary Wharf

Anyone else heard this? First i've heard of this but was a question asked at the conferance, denied by Police though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was mentioned a couple of times.

Anyone else heard this? First i've heard of this but was a question asked at the conferance, denied by Police though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

was mentioned in this thread earlier, only as a rumour though

• Administrators

I'm just trying to get my head around the fact it was a number 30 bus blown apart, a bus I use here and there if it turns up (albeit in the other direction), a bus which could quite likely have gone past Riz on the way to where it blew up :/

Anyone else heard this? First i've heard of this but was a question asked at the conferance, denied by Police though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just before we got the ferry we had a chat with some mounted police-people who said there was a rumour about something at Island Gardens which is just south of CW on the Isle of Dogs. But it's all speculation, wouldn't take any of it seriously.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

I'm just trying to get my head around the fact it was a number 30 bus blown apart, a bus I use here and there if it turns up (albeit in the other direction), a bus which could quite likely have gone past Riz on the way to where it blew up :/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was wondering about that, heard it's Hackney through to Marble Arch, so surmised it probably went through Izzy. Have all checked in at SI?

Graeme icon_cool.gif

Archived