Explosion in London Underground

defusion

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Venn:

Democracy? Who cares, let them decide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh, that's exactly what democracy is. hth

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

Keyser, in a sense we were VERY lucky. As for the bus, it was meant to go past one of those stations. The plan was to drive people outside and as the bus went past BOOM.

The only thing that saved that was that for some reason the bus company had to change the route of all buses for that day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you plant the bomb or something?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Muscle Croc:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

Keyser, in a sense we were VERY lucky. As for the bus, it was meant to go past one of those stations. The plan was to drive people outside and as the bus went past BOOM.

The only thing that saved that was that for some reason the bus company had to change the route of all buses for that day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you plant the bomb or something? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heard it on the radio on the way home

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason the Yank:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keyser:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Satan, look at my pert arse!:

Iraq? Well yeah it's a disgrace that we attacked that peaceful sovereign nation with absolutely no history at all of attacking other sovereign nations such as Iran and Kuwait, and had not threatened Kuwait with subsequent attacks between the years of 1991 and 2001 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not forgetting years of ignorance of UN resolutions. And what did all the nay sayers want? MORE UN resolutions icon_biggrin.gif That would have worked icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The only mistake the UK & US et al made wrt (IMHO obv) Iraq was covering up the regime change objective. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah but they're not going to flaut international law that blatently are they? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's no such thing as international law. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about Thunderbirds? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, well, now you're talking...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think this is caused by the fact that the UK has very good anti-terror measurements and have foiled some attacks before. There probably wasn't enough time or room to plan an attack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously?

I personally find us to be exteremely vulnerable to these sort of attacks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely no more vulnerable than other countries?

Although I expect that security such as bag checking, metal detectors etc will be stepped up on public services, in a similar way to what American did after September 11th.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Purvis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think this is caused by the fact that the UK has very good anti-terror measurements and have foiled some attacks before. There probably wasn't enough time or room to plan an attack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously?

I personally find us to be exteremely vulnerable to these sort of attacks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, anyone could walk onto a train with a bomb as there is no mechanism to have bags etc checked. Terrorists just need to shove bomb in bag/briefcase and detonate at destination of their choosing.

I wish people would stop looking at Al Qaeda as some kind of political/religious organization. Follow the money, and the power. The AlQaeda elites are not living in poverty -- they're upper class people swimming in money as a result of their position.

They're in it to earn money, power and prestige that comes from their displays of "strength" -- staging these attacks is the only way for them to achieve those goals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nuts:

I still feel that the attack was poorly coordinated for Al-Quaeda standards.

Especially the bomb on the bus strikes me as odd.

I think this is caused by the fact that the UK has very good anti-terror measurements and have foiled some attacks before. There probably wasn't enough time or room to plan an attack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, when Giuliani was on CNN he said it was obvious the British emergency services were well prepared for this sort of thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

got back to the manor icon14.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beckhams fault angryfire.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doog:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Venn:

eh, that's exactly what democracy is. hth </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yeah, I was trying to define it icon_biggrin.gif

Nah, seriously, I mean, let them overthrow their own dictators, and then decide whatever they wanna do.

They got them into office, they get them out.

I know we did. We're fecked, but at least we're (kinda) able to decide for ourselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miller_merry:

Seriously?

Agreed, anyone could walk onto a train with a bomb as there is no mechanism to have bags etc checked. Terrorists just need to shove bomb in bag/briefcase and detonate at destination of their choosing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In most other cities nobody would look twice at a bag or briefcase left in a train. In London they would.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nuts:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miller_merry:

Seriously?

Agreed, anyone could walk onto a train with a bomb as there is no mechanism to have bags etc checked. Terrorists just need to shove bomb in bag/briefcase and detonate at destination of their choosing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In most other cities nobody would look twice at a bag or briefcase left in a train. In London they would. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But as there are plenty of willing suicide bombers they don't even need to leave a bag or briefcase anywhere just detonate it whilst in their hands.

Plus during rush hour it would be too busy for anyone to notice a briefcase shoved under a seat or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pop shot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

got back to the manor icon14.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beckhams fault angryfire.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now i probly wouldnt p1ss on becks if he was on fire but i seriously doubt he's behind this tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason the Yank:

I think this is caused by the fact that the UK has very good anti-terror measurements and have foiled some attacks before. There probably wasn't enough time or room to plan an attack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, when Giuliani was on CNN he said it was obvious the British emergency services were well prepared for this sort of thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They've practised over and over again for this sort of attack

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doog:

Nah, seriously, I mean, let them overthrow their own dictators, and then decide whatever they wanna do.

I know we did. We're fecked, but at least we're (kinda) able to decide for ourselves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you quite grasp the concept of a dictatorship, especially the one that was in place in iraq. if they even so much as attempted an uprising, they got killed. if they were suspected of planning one, they got killed. it's not as simple as just saying to a dictator "we don't like you any more, we want you out" because the dictator will just tell them to f*ck off and live with it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swindon_Jimbo:

Without reading this thread did the thing that happen in Swindon get national news?

Also, is everone on otf ok? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> What exactly happened in Swindon all i heard was train station was shut.

Yeah, when Giuliani was on CNN he said it was obvious the British emergency services were well prepared for this sort of thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They've practised over and over again for this sort of attack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And on the scale of these things it was a relativly minor attack

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swindon_Jimbo:

Without reading this thread did the thing that happen in Swindon get national news?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err, what happened in Swindon?

Seriously?

In most other cities nobody would look twice at a bag or briefcase left in a train. In London they would. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're probably safe over here... you leave a bag behind, someone's bound to take it immediately and run off. Then they'd be up for a surprise...

• SI Staff

I'm 20yrs old and as far back as I can remember I've always known to be wary of unattended baggage on the tube. I can roughyl remember a bus being blown up at Aldwych (?)and some explosion in the Docklands (?) and the whole thing where they stopped having bins on platforms or in stations at all for fear somebody could hide a bomb in one. So I think Londoners are very much aware of things far moreso probably than most people in the general public.

The fact is that if somebody reeeaaally wants to do something it's incredibly hard to stop them short of checking every single person everytime they leave their house, go somewhere in public or do anything...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

I wish people would stop looking at Al Qaeda as some kind of political/religious organization. Follow the money, and the power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish people would stop looking at Al Qaeda as an organisation period.

There are dozens of armed groups all with different motivations, beliefs and ideals.

But what I basically meant was:

as British Intelligence have foiled quite a few attacks before, the "people" planning these attacks probably felt they had to work quickly to prevent being foiled and thus had less time to coordinate the attack better.

Thank god for this though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thank god for this though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err excuse me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank god for the fact that they didn't coordinate things better as it could have been a LOT worse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A-Team:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

I wish people would stop looking at Al Qaeda as some kind of political/religious organization. Follow the money, and the power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish people would stop looking at Al Qaeda as an organisation period.

There are dozens of armed groups all with different motivations, beliefs and ideals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a loosely connected group, but it is connected -- mainly as means for exchanging information, supplies, training, propoganda, etc.

I know we did. We're fecked, but at least we're (kinda) able to decide for ourselves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you quite grasp the concept of a dictatorship, especially the one that was in place in iraq. if they even so much as attempted an uprising, they got killed. if they were suspected of planning one, they got killed. it's not as simple as just saying to a dictator "we don't like you any more, we want you out" because the dictator will just tell them to f*ck off and live with it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny how that's exactly what happened here the last time. That's the way dictatorships work. But you keep trying. Eventually an uprising will work. When the majority of the population are up for it, or even a large number of people, it'll work. It always has. That's the way of the world.

But, in some cases that isn't really necessary. Sometimes they fall on their own.

In any case, it's unheard of in the history of the world that anyone would decide to liberate other people just out of the goodness of their heart. And I doubt that would happen even as a means to prevent the 'bad people' attacking them. Preemptive attacks just don't exist. It's always because you hope to gain either one of two things: money or power.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thank god for this though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err excuse me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he means thank god they didn't have time to plan and coordinate the attack better

Seriously?

We're probably safe over here... you leave a bag behind, someone's bound to take it immediately and run off. Then they'd be up for a surprise... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

So can we now expect the usual stories in the news over the next few days?

Someone will have overslept and missed their train, saving their life.

Someone will have woke up with toothache and went to the dentists instead of going to work, saving their life.

Someone will have had a dream this would happen and avoided the train today.

Someone will have helped an arab in some way and were told to 'stay away from Kings Cross on Thursday' as a thank you.

Someone will have helped an arab in some way and were told to 'stay away from Kings Cross on Thursday' as a thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That happened on the last page icon14.gif

So can we now expect the usual stories in the news over the next few days?

Someone will have overslept and missed their train, saving their life.

Someone will have woke up with toothache and went to the dentists instead of going to work, saving their life.

Someone will have had a dream this would happen and avoided the train today.

Someone will have helped an arab in some way and were told to 'stay away from Kings Cross on Thursday' as a thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i did the last one around page 8 icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neilstudd:

That happened on the last page icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except it was an "Indian" icon_smile.gif

Funny how that's exactly what happened here the last time. That's the way dictatorships work. But you keep trying. Eventually an uprising will work. When the majority of the population are up for it, or even a large number of people, it'll work. It always has. That's the way of the world.

But, in some cases that isn't really necessary. Sometimes they fall on their own.

In any case, it's unheard of in the history of the world that anyone would decide to liberate other people just out of the goodness of their heart. And I doubt that would happen even as a means to prevent the 'bad people' attacking them. Preemptive attacks just don't exist. It's always because you hope to gain either one of two things: money or power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, you're wasting your time waiting for populations to overthrow mad governments tbh.

You see, it's all but impossible since the Russkis sold said governments a few thousand tanks each.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by only one keano (robbie):

So, without reading through these pages, was anyone from otf involved? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In planning the attacks?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by only one keano (robbie):

So, without reading through these pages, was anyone from otf involved? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zvonimir Boban and Mr. Nice were implicated and taken into custody, iirc.

I think Vampuke was one of the suicide bombers. icon14.gif

• SI Staff

Apparently D_S was gonna get on the bus that was blown up, but a gust of wind blew away his ticket as he was stepping onto the bus, causing him to miss it and thus saving his life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

In any case, it's unheard of in the history of the world that anyone would decide to liberate other people just out of the goodness of their heart. And I doubt that would happen even as a means to prevent the 'bad people' attacking them. Preemptive attacks just don't exist. It's always because you hope to gain either one of two things: money or power. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, you're wasting your time waiting for populations to overthrow mad governments tbh.

You see, it's all but impossible since the Russkis sold said governments a few thousand tanks each. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Americans provided some weapons too.

In the end it doesn't really matter. You need people to drive the tanks. Sometimes you lose the support of your troops. Any way it works, one day dictatorships fall. Nothing lasts forever.

Archived