Explosion in London Underground

defusion

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew K:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheCranker:

We like to have trials over here for that kind of thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when? Hundreds were arrested without trial during WWII, which allowed Britain to roll up the entire Nazi spy network in the UK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to think we've moved on a bit in the last 60 years.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheCranker:

I like to think we've moved on a bit in the last 60 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. The wrong direction.

I don't see the issue with detaining someone for a reasonable length of time on the basis of suspicion. Isn't every arrest made on the basis of suspicion, not proof? You arrest someone in large part to help you investigate their actions and discover proof before you charge them.

I'm not seeing much of the "investigate their actions and discover proof before you charge" bit at Guantemo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, which is why I disagree with what's happening at Guantanamo. Yes, I can see the practicality on one level - but aren't we supposed to be proving that we're better? Which means arresting people, charging them, and having a burden of proof.

I think Guantanamo goes too far one way, but I do think we have a tendency to go too far the other way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by silver_blue:

And frankly, I don't see why we had to make such a fecking huge deal of it in this country. London's been bombed loads of times, why was this one so special that we had to do one of our rare "oh, lets all grieve as a nation" moments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf, worst peace-time atrocity in this countries history is possibly a good reason but I agree it is now being milked to the hilt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by silver_blue:

I'm not seeing much of the "investigate their actions and discover proof before you charge" bit at Guantemo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, which is why I disagree with what's happening at Guantanamo. Yes, I can see the practicality on one level - but aren't we supposed to be proving that we're better? Which means arresting people, charging them, and having a burden of proof.

I think Guantanamo goes too far one way, but I do think we have a tendency to go too far the other way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf if the CPS thought they had a case they'd be happy to go for these guys. We've tried a few times and without taking the American stance of sticking them on an island somewhere snd pretending that human rights don't exist unless you're American, I don't see what we can do. We have laws for a reason and until people can prove to me that the American way of trampling all over the world is making the world a safer place then I'm happy with our legal system.

I think Guantanamo goes too far one way, but I do think we have a tendency to go too far the other way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But what should the role be? Protecting one's citizens by thwarting future attacks or bringing people to justice? They are basically mutually exclusive because you cannot gain information from a defendant who has a right to silence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cockney Cobbler:

tbf, worst peace-time atrocity in this countries history is possibly a good reason but I agree it is now being milked to the hilt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not really. If we're quantifying atrocities in that way then Lockerbie is significantly worse in terms of death toll, and yet that never provoked a reaction like this iirc.

I don't understand why suspected Al Qaeda -- no matter how vague the suspicion is -- should be allowed entry.

On my application for American residency, I was asked if I was ever a member of the communist or nazi party or an organization that attempted to overthrow a government -- with the implication that membership in those may disqualify me from entry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cockney Cobbler:

tbf, worst peace-time atrocity in this countries history is possibly a good reason but I agree it is now being milked to the hilt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not really. If we're quantifying atrocities in that way then Lockerbie is significantly worse in terms of death toll, and yet that never provoked a reaction like this iirc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair point actually. I was quoting the news agencies on that one but I wonder if Locerkbie 'doesn't count' because it is perceived as an attack on America? icon_confused.gif Either that or it is spin as per usual

Well, not really. If we're quantifying atrocities in that way then Lockerbie is significantly worse in terms of death toll, and yet that never provoked a reaction like this iirc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair point actually. I was quoting the news agencies on that one but I wonder if Locerkbie 'doesn't count' because it is perceived as an attack on America? icon_confused.gif Either that or it is spin as per usual </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Londond bombings are referred to as "worst peacetime LAND attack".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew K:

But what should the role be? Protecting one's citizens by thwarting future attacks or bringing people to justice? They are basically mutually exclusive because you cannot gain information from a defendant who has a right to silence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But if you we go too far down the road of indefinitely incarcerating people then it's on the way to destroying the very thing that we're meant to be protecting. The very fact that we allow people in our countries a greater degree of freedom means that a tiny minority of people will use the opportunity that freedom gives them to act in a violent way. That doesn't mean we shouldn't defend those particular rights and freedoms.

I'll admit it's a tough call though. But I think arresting someone, letting them know "we know how you are" and continuing to keep them under surveillance for security purposes - until such time as you may be able to find proof - could be effective.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

Londond bombings are referred to as "worst peacetime LAND attack". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bit of a tenous way of saying its the "worst" of something? icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moshi Moshe Mohammed:

I don't understand why suspected Al Qaeda -- no matter how vague the suspicion is -- should be allowed entry.

On my application for American residency, I was asked if I was ever a member of the communist or nazi party or an organization that attempted to overthrow a government -- with the implication that membership in those may disqualify me from entry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't either.

And I think that's the biggest problem with our immigration system. It's not actually about policy - about whether we should have quotas or allow greater or lesser numbers of immigrants in. It's that the whole system is hugely inefficient - if governments would actually work to get the system (whatever it is) working properly then I'd have more confidence that things like this might be caught.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

Londond bombings are referred to as "worst peacetime LAND attack". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bit of a tenous way of saying its the "worst" of something? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes icon_biggrin.gif Could've just said "one of the worst" and be done with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

bit of a tenous way of saying its the "worst" of something? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say, but then London >>> rest of the UK :insertthesmileywinkthingyhere:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

It's interesting to speculate as to what would be happening had combat 18 or someone carried out the bombings.

I reckon any known members would have been rounded up forthwith. Nobody would have mentioned civil rights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet the police have far better intelligence on those groups so that wouldn't be so much of an issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bert Preast:

It's interesting to speculate as to what would be happening had combat 18 or someone carried out the bombings.

I reckon any known members would have been rounded up forthwith. Nobody would have mentioned civil rights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you trying to legitimise your own prejudice with the prejudice of others?

I bet the police have far better intelligence on those groups so that wouldn't be so much of an issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're easier to infiltrate. As I said earlier, we don't need more muslim soldiers or bobbies on the beat, we need ones with the balls to infiltrate the groups only they're capable of infiltrating.

Are you trying to legitimise your own prejudice with the prejudice of others? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was of course expecting such a comment, but not from you. You really think I'm a fan?

I'm pretty sure al-Qaeda is an illegal terrorist group in the UK (and EU) so if anyone entering the country was found to be a member they wouldn't be allowed in. It's proving that they are which is the hard part. I'm guessing all members don't get a pen, baseball cap and monthly newsletter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

I'm guessing all members don't get a pen, baseball cap and monthly newsletter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct - but most members will not even be sure if they are AQ or not. It's more an organisation of organisations when it's undercover.

Which is why I suggest we must treat all jihadis as AQ.

Are you trying to legitimise your own prejudice with the prejudice of others? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was of course expecting such a comment, but not from you. You really think I'm a fan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A fan of what? Prejudice? Yeah I think you're prejudicial. tbh I think you even know you're prejudicial.

A fan of what? Prejudice? Yeah I think you're prejudicial. tbh I think you even know you're prejudicial. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't deny it. As long as my predjudice is based on reasoning rather than hatred, what's the prob?

I should point out that the idea of being governed by the likes of combat 18 is every bit as abhorrent to me as sharia law.

Yeah I understand that and that wasn't the point I was making. I was merely pointing out that you're trying to defend you saying **** it when it comes to civil rights for muslim fundmentalists by saying people would say **** it when it comes to civil rights for Combat 18. For one I think you're wrong as defenders of human rights tend to be defenders of human rights. If they exclude Combat 18 members then they ain't defenders of human rights no more.

Don't deny it. As long as my predjudice is based on reasoning rather than hatred, what's the prob?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's based on reasoning then it's not prejudice though.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's based on reasoning then it's not prejudice though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's pre judging, which I admit too. When I see a Pakistani in western clobber, I have no problems. When I see one with the beard and robes, I see an enemy.

Yeah I understand that and that wasn't the point I was making. I was merely pointing out that you're trying to defend you saying **** it when it comes to civil rights for muslim fundmentalists by saying people would say **** it when it comes to civil rights for Combat 18. For one I think you're wrong as defenders of human rights tend to be defenders of human rights. If they exclude Combat 18 members then they ain't defenders of human rights no more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was pointing out that supporters of combat 18 would not get a single word in the nationals in the following days about their civil rights. I think I'm right, too.

It's pre judging, which I admit too. When I see a Pakistani in western clobber, I have no problems. When I see one with the beard and robes, I see an enemy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that's not actually based on reason - because the vast majority of Pakistanis in robes aren't the enemy, and the greater threat is probably going to come from someone who's wearing western clothes and therefore blends in.

I was pointing out that supporters of combat 18 would not get a single word in the nationals in the following days about their civil rights. I think I'm right, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But then, supporters of Al'Quaeda wouldn't get a word about their civil rights. It's when the line between "supporters of Al'Quaeda" and "Muslims" becomes blurred that the stuff about civil rights comes out.

But that's not actually based on reason - because the vast majority of Pakistanis in robes aren't the enemy, and the greater threat is probably going to come from someone who's wearing western clothes and therefore blends in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see them as badges of a refusal to integrate, worn with pride. Unless they're hiding union jack boxers, I see someone who's life revolves around islam to the detriment of everything else - and those are my enemies.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's based on reasoning then it's not prejudice though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's pre judging, which I admit too. When I see a Pakistani in western clobber, I have no problems. When I see one with the beard and robes, I see an enemy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a shocking thing to say. I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt before, but you come across as bigoted racist.

But in the case of the London bombs it was Pakistanis (and a Jamican) in western clobber that were the enemy. That is the problem with these bombs, there isn't a clear distinction, you can't spot a suicide bomber from a mile off unless you are assuming that all muslims are terrorists.

But isn't this what the fundamentalists want? They want westerners to start distrusting all followers of the Islamic faith, to start treating them unequally and to stick a huge wedge between 'westerners' and 'Islamists' which will give rise to violence and war. Or am I looking at this too simplistically?

But that's not actually based on reason - because the vast majority of Pakistanis in robes aren't the enemy, and the greater threat is probably going to come from someone who's wearing western clothes and therefore blends in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see them as badges of a refusal to integrate, worn with pride. Unless they're hiding union jack boxers, I see someone who's life revolves around islam to the detriment of everything else - and those are my enemies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why the f*ck should they have to wear western clothes? I thought we were supposed to be defending freedom - including freedom of what to wear.

You aren't anti-Muslim fundamentalist, you are anti-Muslim.

I see them as badges of a refusal to integrate, worn with pride. Unless they're hiding union jack boxers, I see someone who's life revolves around islam to the detriment of everything else - and those are my enemies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But why does that make them your enemies? Even if it's true that they are refusing to integrate? There's a big jump between not wanting to integrate with a particular society and actually wishing to harm it.

But then, supporters of Al'Quaeda wouldn't get a word about their civil rights. It's when the line between "supporters of Al'Quaeda" and "Muslims" becomes blurred that the stuff about civil rights comes out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. What worries me is it's often the muslim clerics and leaders who are the ones to blur the line.

We (almost) all agree now that AQ supporters have to be locked up or thrown out. I take it further - I think to get rid of the danger we need to throw out those who dress and act like AQ supporters even if they're not.

I don't believe they will or even want to integrate in western society, and they will always be a danger. At the very least, they need keeping tabs on, but I don't think we have the resources to do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BoroPhil:

Why the f*ck should they have to wear western clothes? I thought we were supposed to be defending freedom - including freedom of what to wear.

You aren't anti-Muslim fundamentalist, you are anti-Muslim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They can put a union jack badge on the robes, and I'm fine. Anyway, aren't we banning hoodies?

But in the case of the London bombs it was Pakistanis (and a Jamican) in western clobber that were the enemy. That is the problem with these bombs, there isn't a clear distinction, you can't spot a suicide bomber from a mile off unless you are assuming that all muslims are terrorists.

But isn't this what the fundamentalists want? They want westerners to start distrusting all followers of the Islamic faith, to start treating them unequally and to stick a huge wedge between 'westerners' and 'Islamists' which will give rise to violence and war. Or am I looking at this too simplistically? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's exactly what they want. 99% of British muslims happily co-exist with Whites. This is where it becomes ironic as the BNP and al-Qaeda have similar aims - to create a massive wedge between us. We have to ensure that doesn't happen. People like Bert are trying to ensure it does.

But Bert, I don't see how this helps the situation. I know you don't think we can reason or negotiate with these guys and yes Islamic people don't help themselves if they don't attempt to integrate in to the society they live in, but isn't that partly because we don't let them, we put the barriers up and show an intolerance or lack of understanding of their beliefs because it is foreign to us and not western enough or 'civilised' enough to us.

I agree people of Islamic faith need to do more to integrate in to western society if they choose to live in a western democracy, but equally we should do more in accepting that their faith is just as important to them as democracy is to us. A bit of give and take on both sides, although who gives first?

But why does that make them your enemies? Even if it's true that they are refusing to integrate? There's a big jump between not wanting to integrate with a particular society and actually wishing to harm it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know. But I don't think we can afford to take the risk anymore.

But isn't this what the fundamentalists want? They want westerners to start distrusting all followers of the Islamic faith, to start treating them unequally and to stick a huge wedge between 'westerners' and 'Islamists' which will give rise to violence and war. Or am I looking at this too simplistically? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They dressed as westerners for the day of the bombings, but all had dressed in traditional gear in the months leading up to the - since they became jihadis, I'd reckon.

The fundamentalists want to convert every muslim in the west into a jihadi. They get quite annoyed with anyone who doesn't.

It's exactly what they want. 99% of British muslims happily co-exist with Whites. This is where it becomes ironic as the BNP and al-Qaeda have similar aims - to create a massive wedge between us. We have to ensure that doesn't happen. People like Bert are trying to ensure it does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think Bert is purposefully creating a divide, I think he has a certain amount of mistrust because of what he has seen with his own two eyes. It is rebuilding that trust between westerners and Islamist that is required but unfortunately I agree with Bert when he says, or would say, I can't see someone like OBL rebuilding any trust as he wants to destroy the west not make friends with it.

Man I love how Bert gets all incredulous when I mention his BNP leanings and then comes out with **** like people with beards and robes are the enemy. Classic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MCB > BNP > C18 > AQ

It's exactly what they want. 99% of British muslims happily co-exist with Whites. This is where it becomes ironic as the BNP and al-Qaeda have similar aims - to create a massive wedge between us. We have to ensure that doesn't happen. People like Bert are trying to ensure it does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rubbish. It's no way more that 96%.

Archived