Multiple custom databases - what's the best way to create them

Toronto Blizzard

Hi everyone,

I want to create two separate league structures (one for Canada and one for the USA). This requires that I move Canadian teams from MLS into a Canadian league. I've got one large database with changes to both countries (new clubs, stadiums, et cetera).

Can I use that database to create two separate files, one with USA nation rules and the other with Canadian? The IDs should all be the same, so I'm hoping there'll be no conflicts.

Now, the second question: I also want to edit club continental rules. Can/should I make a second copy of that same large database and create the club continental rules in that? Or am I better off just creating a small database with the specific continental competitions I want and creating the rules for that?

Thanks!

if its just two nations your creatng I would suggest a rolling save ie make the Usa file including nation rules, save it as Usa now remove usa nation rules and save as canada and build canada, this ensures all nations are compatible, rolling saves are the best way to create multi-nations however the downfall is the size of files but is only a issue with 10 + nations with slower loading and processing times.

Unless your using newly created teams or stadiums and are specifying individual teams or stadiums in your Euro comps then no need to use the rolling save.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm doing the exact same thing as Toronto is doing right now, however after following all your suggestions for the rolling save, I've come up with some errors.

For 1, after I save and disable the USA rules, under File > Validation it says that the USA nation is currently disabled because "Require 18 teams for MLS, found 0", etc...

- I disabled the MLS in the original USA file by the way and created an entirely new league structure and leagues. Also, I made all my database changes in the original USA file before removing the rules, so that the Canadian files is an EXACT copy of the USA file database, just with different nation rules.

2nd of all, when I start a new game, it crashes after I load up the databases (right before you select the nations) because of another error pertaining to the USA nation rules.

Of course, both my USA nation rules were tested and valid before removal and saved, and all of the Canadian nation rules were tested and valid before saving as well.

I can load both up separately fine, I just can't load them together.

Hit sort of a brick wall here, any ideas?

* Update *

I had it working there for a single start, when I started from scratch in the editor and did Canada's rules FIRST, then saved-remove-addUSA-saved my way again. I thought for a second it mattered whether or not you edit a default original league before or after a new nation like Canada, but it seems like the same error has popped up again for some reason and I can't recall just what I did to cause it.

More research is needed. Anyone care to weigh in on the order they created their leagues in? Did you do new nation leagues first? Or did you edit the rules for the default enabled countries first?

That's very interesting, Graaa. Did you have a lot of database changes? I've created about 100 teams, across Canada and the US. I was having the same problem as you, with the "require x teams in ___, found y" when setting the game up, but I can't recall whether I did Canada or the US first.

Are you saying that I should do club continental, then Canada, then USA?

I've been creating a MASSIVE structure in the advanced editor, but there would be some benefit to my being able to do this in the normal editor.

I'm doing the exact same thing as Toronto is doing right now, however after following all your suggestions for the rolling save, I've come up with some errors.

For 1, after I save and disable the USA rules, under File > Validation it says that the USA nation is currently disabled because "Require 18 teams for MLS, found 0", etc...

- I disabled the MLS in the original USA file by the way and created an entirely new league structure and leagues. Also, I made all my database changes in the original USA file before removing the rules, so that the Canadian files is an EXACT copy of the USA file database, just with different nation rules.

2nd of all, when I start a new game, it crashes after I load up the databases (right before you select the nations) because of another error pertaining to the USA nation rules.

Of course, both my USA nation rules were tested and valid before removal and saved, and all of the Canadian nation rules were tested and valid before saving as well.

I can load both up separately fine, I just can't load them together.

Hit sort of a brick wall here, any ideas?

I've found that when creating multiple nation rules and moving teams around divisions you should reload the original database in-between, otherwise the same data gets saved twice and seems to cancel each other out.

That's very interesting, Graaa. Did you have a lot of database changes? I've created about 100 teams, across Canada and the US. I was having the same problem as you, with the "require x teams in ___, found y" when setting the game up, but I can't recall whether I did Canada or the US first.

Are you saying that I should do club continental, then Canada, then USA?

I've been creating a MASSIVE structure in the advanced editor, but there would be some benefit to my being able to do this in the normal editor.

Okay, I figured out my mistake the 2nd time around - I just made some changes in the USA save on the Canadian competitions and forgot. Doy!

But yes, I'm currently editing it in that order. Club Continental, New Nations, then Old Nations. After quick preliminary tests (creating a throw-away league and competition quickly), it's now working. The other possible reason I was getting the "original nation rules error" as I'll call it is that I had split the MLS into East/West divisions, thereby emptying the MLS of teams.

When I worked on the USA first then removed the rules for the next nation to work on, the ORIGINAL DEFAULT nation rules became enforced and that somehow carries over to the next nation you're working on. Those rules are obviously invalidated now because of the database changes you made (I made over 2000, but I had much more coming as I was going to add awards, changed supporter profiles, finances, added players, etc). This would cause a crash in the game because the original default nations are required to be valid to run. New nations like Canada, Bahamas, etc don't need to have valid rules to run, so it's better to work on them first as there are no rules to invalidate with them, only rules to create. Finally, I think it has to do with the load order, oddly enough. The rolling save-remove-save seems to carry over some artifacts each time you do it, so its probably best to edit the original default nations last, and even then, try to create WITHIN the competitions already created as much as possible (IE: rename & edit them instead of creating entirely new ones like I did).

The advanced editor is something I should look into. I've seen how to set it up. Do you find any benefit in it to creating your massive league?

I've found that when creating multiple nation rules and moving teams around divisions you should reload the original database in-between, otherwise the same data gets saved twice and seems to cancel each other out.

Thanks Kenco! I'll be doing that.

• 1 month later...

What do you men by reload the original database in between? I've created two whole new nations with league structures and each one works fine on its own, but the game throws a hissy fit when I try to load both together. I'm trying to figure out why that's the case (I've created one giant file with all the changes and I've added nation rules so, in theory, all the files should be the same, aside from the nation rules).

Thoughts?

What do you men by reload the original database in between? I've created two whole new nations with league structures and each one works fine on its own, but the game throws a hissy fit when I try to load both together. I'm trying to figure out why that's the case (I've created one giant file with all the changes and I've added nation rules so, in theory, all the files should be the same, aside from the nation rules).

Thoughts?

After creating one set of nation rules, you should save it then select 'load database' rather than just removing nation rules and starting on the next one.

Ah, okay. Thanks, Kenco!

That seems similar to the idea that you should save your changed database, then make a copy for each new set of nation rules. Accidentally, I didn't do that last time.

I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Archived