41212 questions

156m.png

can you give any advice here or does it seem ok? (about anything .. ) I aim to have some posession and attack in the middle (it's my "im too bored of watching wingers play" tactic)

as for PI modifications:

the 2 cms have their passing set on short and benat rarely runs.. the rest are default

I want my cms to get involved a lot

herrera moves into channels and gets free roam

and should herrera (Id play him in a more offensve role but his finishing and longshots are crap) hold up the ball? the target man and the dm already have it on by default

IMO I'd change the passing length from short to mixed, I set up very similiar to this with Blackburn (finished 6th first season) and found that switching it to mixed gave a lot more option for a defence splitting long through ball whereas with short pasing they will always look for the short option.

Also I like using WB's rather than full backs, especially with narrow formations like this. Even if it's Wb's set to defend in my experience they are alwayus very solid defensively yet make good runs, this point obviously depends on the players you have, Im not very well up on the Athltic team so couldnt really comment.

Finally this is another personal preference is setting one of my forwards, usually one with the best dirbbling attribute a a DLF so that he drops back almost creating a 2 man AM and leaving the poacher poaching.

If you want ill try and find an old screenie or just write out my team instructions etc as I personally thought I overacheived massievly.

EDIT: Just an edit after reading dakka's post. Try using Muniain as a DLF as he will support the midfield better and in the team I used I did have one of my midfielders as AP Attack. A point I forgot to mention helps to link the midfield better.

Two forwards that contribute little to the team besides scoring, try having Muniain support the midfield more or at least drift into wider areas. He isn't really a poacher and can fashion chances for others too.

Have one of your midfielders on attacking duty.

Your team will play very narrow and probably struggle to score against defensive sides. Monreal and Azpilicueta are good attacking full-backs, give them a chance to show that.

@dakka so muniain should roam free? and I guess I can let Llorente play support but will these 2 new settings work well with wb play?

@jimbob should benats running be changed? (he's set to rarely)

yeah Wingbacks would be a good idea (Ill change the DMs mentality from the default normal to defensive as I think counters will be much riskier with wbs + maybe set the BPD to CDD?)

these are my wingbacks

202m.png

203m.png

204m.png

205m.png

also tell me exactly how the wbs should be set up then (runnins, crossing from, etc, mentality)

Im guessing Iraola and Xabi would work best

Much has been mentioned already, but this is my main formation currently. I have two WBs set to attack, who are vital in creating space in the final third, pulling the fullbacks wide and allowing the central players room to move. The DM will therefore need to be positionally sound with a good work ethic, as he'll be drifting across to either flank, filling in for the WBs as required.

The two CMs have the job of winning the ball and distributing it to one of the front 3 + WBs. As for the AM, I've had the most success with a technical dribbler, who can worry defenders by tempting them into a risky tackle, while the two STs exploit the gap.

As jimbobBRFC suggested, I have one of my STs working as DLF(att). He's big, strong and quick, drops into holes and sees a lot of the ball. If he goes up against a FB, he'll usually win due to his size, so I allow him to roam freely. This is particularly useful when I'm ahead late in the game and I've pulled the WBs back to conserve energy. The DLF will drift wide and challenge the smaller FBs for high balls to the flanks. The other ST just stays central waits for the ball to come to him.

I don't think that being quick is especially important for him, it's his movement off the ball and strength that matters most. Being quick, he can get into space easier, but a slower player with better off the ball and anticipation could probably do the same job.

^^ Agreed ^^

As I and others have mentioned I would say Wing Backs are imperative to this formation as It provides width. Try setting up with WB's and use play wider and exploit the middle instructions, should see gaps start to form and with the service coming from one striker your AMC and a more attacking midfielder, should see an improvement

ok so I should set Llorente as dlf (what kind btw? support?), play wider and which MC (+ mc passing set to the default mixed) should be more offensive? should a mentality tweak be enough?

for the wbs: attacking role with running often (from deeper rarely? or that one should be often too), hugging the touchline, cross to mixed as I rather have them decide and cross from.. byline?

and should countering be put back on when using those wbs?

From the little I do know about the Athletic squad either of the two strikers would be good DLF Support, with the support role they will drop back deeper and help create chances. Try both of them see which works best.

Maybe a mentality tweak will be enough, my midfield pairing was Advanced Playmaker Attack and either BTB or BWM depending on which MC i was using at the time. I would change the CM to attack see if that helps.

For the WB's I have mine set up with a Support Duty so they get forward quite a lot but also help pack. I have them Hug the Touchline, and Man marking ticked so that they will track a winger. Everything else left default, that worked well enough for me. Is that the starting Athletic Team or have you made signings? If its the starting team Ill have a look when I get home from work and see who would be better where.

ahhhhhh well what Ive recommended above is how I set my team up, it worked very well for me whether it will be the same for you I cant say. I seem to remember setting offside trap as on but again it totally depends on players. I'd advise trying different things in pre season or say cup games where your easily a better team, that way any tweaks wont drastically affect your season. Dont try using your brand new tactical setup against Barca. Also watch more highlights full or extended at the very least, I find that helps when first developing a tactic.

Keep us updated on your progress :)

ok so tactic is pretty much familiar to all

beat villarreal away with 3-0

the wbs have 8.4 and 8.7 rating :D my cms also 8+

default crossing was sometimes on the wbs and Ive set it to often (Ive got Llorente in the air so why not lol)

apparently most threats are from long shots (benat has 16 rating there and javi ~14)

posession 57% (was over 65 in first half) and only 1 ccc but Im sure it will get better (muniain is a quite wasteful and im gonna teach him to place them shots). it got better :D 4cccs on average

there's one problem though

players get very tired especially Benat (Ill just rest him more often)

Ok I used it in all my CL group games and I won all except 1 (against cska moskow away 3-2) finished 1st (17goals for and 9 conceded)

the other 2 teams were shakhtior donetsk and galatasaray

seems good :)

ok so tactic is pretty much familiar to all

beat villarreal away with 3-0

the wbs have 8.4 and 8.7 rating :D my cms also 8+

default crossing was sometimes on the wbs and Ive set it to often (Ive got Llorente in the air so why not lol)

apparently most threats are from long shots (benat has 16 rating there and javi ~14)

posession 57% (was over 65 in first half) and only 1 ccc but Im sure it will get better (muniain is a quite wasteful and im gonna teach him to place them shots). it got better :D 4cccs on average

there's one problem though

players get very tired especially Benat (Ill just rest him more often)

Ok I used it in all my CL group games and I won all except 1 (against cska moskow away 3-2) finished 1st (17goals for and 9 conceded)

the other 2 teams were shakhtior donetsk and galatasaray

seems good :)

Sorry about the lack of reply last night was playing football and really didnt have the energy when I got in. Anyway is the 3-0 win against Villareal with your tactic setup with our suggestions? How are you playing Benat? If it is BTB they usually get very very tired.

Think I misread your post actually. I thought you said your AMC was getting very tired but you said your whole team My bad :( try giving all players a rest day after every match. i think thats pretty realistic compared to RL anyway.

From what I remember my poacher was set up to Move into Channels. You dont really want him drifting anywhere but in the box as a poacher is there to score goals. Wilfried who i had in my poacher scored 30 in 40 apperances so pretty good. Im sure it was Move into Channels ill have to double check though

maybe just one of the games. It is impossible to make a tactic that will beat every tactic they all have there weaknesses and strengths. I presume the team that beat you was a 4-1-2-2-1 with AMR/AML and a lone striker. Due to your lack of width and your WB's bombing forward youll leave yourself very open. I'd advise chaning your WB's to defend or even to FB's Support to counter the width of the opposition. Its all about adapting to the different situations

It's the one formation I struggle against, using 4-1-2-1-2. In the centre you have to deal with a dedicated DM, who combined with the back four, leaves little space to work offensively, while on the wings, your WBs are having to deal with the AL/Rs as well as provide your natural width.

If I'm struggling in a match against these team, I switch my WBs to FBs and push my MCs out to ML/MR, creating a wide diamond, or I may even go 4-4-2 if their DM is dominating.

It's the one formation I struggle against, using 4-1-2-1-2. In the centre you have to deal with a dedicated DM, who combined with the back four, leaves little space to work offensively, while on the wings, your WBs are having to deal with the AL/Rs as well as provide your natural width.

If I'm struggling in a match against these team, I switch my WBs to FBs and push my MCs out to ML/MR, creating a wide diamond, or I may even go 4-4-2 if their DM is dominating.

I have just read another post, can't remember where on the forum somewhere. Regarding having a DM that is in too much space. If you change your AMC's instructions you can drag the DM out of position, which made me think if you have your AMC dropping deep dragging the DM with him one your strikers dropping deep into his poisition and an MC with Advanced Playmaker Attack he should also drop into the gap leaving you with two players there whilst the DM tracks your AMC. (hope that makes some sense).

Usually i use a slightly tweaked tactic with WB's Defend and set to man mark. This usually does a pretty good job. If worst comes to worst I switch tactic completely and go for something with wider players to help on the wings. I rarely use this though as i Despise using wingers

I have just read another post, can't remember where on the forum somewhere. Regarding having a DM that is in too much space. If you change your AMC's instructions you can drag the DM out of position, which made me think if you have your AMC dropping deep dragging the DM with him one your strikers dropping deep into his poisition and an MC with Advanced Playmaker Attack he should also drop into the gap leaving you with two players there whilst the DM tracks your AMC. (hope that makes some sense).

Usually i use a slightly tweaked tactic with WB's Defend and set to man mark. This usually does a pretty good job. If worst comes to worst I switch tactic completely and go for something with wider players to help on the wings. I rarely use this though as i Despise using wingers

It sounds like it'll work in theory, as long as the DM can be tempted out. If he's happy to sit though, you'll probably just end up passing the ball around in the middle third with no forward options, until you get tackled or intercepted.

Archived