Wingers - iOS

I've had really good success stories with Chelsea and Sutton in FM2011 iOS and FM2012 iOS.

I've relied on a mixture of 4-1-3-2 and 4-3-3, with various strategies.

However, I've never had much luck when using a formation with wingers - 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and 4-1-2-2-1.

I really, really want to bring this option into my overall FM abilities.

Does anyone have any pointers for using teams with wingers? I understand that the wingers would need pace, dribbling and crossing, whilst I'd need a striker with good positioning, movement, strength and heading, but I just can't get the best out of my wingers and the results that follow.

Because I've had so much success not using wingers, I feel that I've cheated a little bit - if you don't use them at all, you just pack your squad full of quality MCs + AMCs, and you don't need to use 4 spaces up filling in ML/AML and MR/AMR - which is something I really want to do!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

I had a world class team in FHM2011 that revovled around a 3-5-2 formation. However, away from home they leaked goals constantly until i found wingers who had Tackling 15 as well as everything else and against the best teams they were set as Wide Midfielders so they could defend as well as attack. At home they were out and out wingers. With these and quality in the middle we were able to dominate and win five successive premier league titles and two European CLs.

However, in 2012 this just doesn't seem to work anywhere near as well and it's almost always needed to pack the middle, as you say, with 4-1-3-2, 4-3-3 and a custom 4-3-1-2, which co-incidentaly, were the winning strategies in Champ Manager 2. My current team is very skilled so I may give it another go, but I think this is all down to tweaks to the match engine, which I'm not a fan of this season I have to say.

I have had some success with 5-3-2, where it's three central defenders, two wingbacks, three central midfielders, but again, that's been ineffective against anyone packing the middle of the field.

A huge amount of opposition teams play 4-1-3-2 also - over 60% - which is surprising as it's not a formation which is as widely used in the Premiership, at least.

i've noticed this too. from the Blue Square south to, so far, coca cola league 1 a lot of teams play this (as do I). Dec may be right in that its the AI trying to match or exploit the user, but i didnt think the AI was that advanced in the handheld version.

Having played about five to seven season with two conference teams and two premiere league teams, I am wondering if wingers are more or less effective in different leagues? I have steamrolled my way through the lower leagues with a 4-1-3-2, but that doesn't seem to do as well in the premiere league. I have always needed wingers to compete there (usually 4-4-2 attacking or 4-1-2-3-1).

Teams adapt to try and stop you so if they think your weakness is 4132 or your formation is that one then they may try it to expose weaknesses or match you like-for-like knowing they're a better team.

I'd like to hear Marc confirm this. You get to hear the opposing formation BEFORE the game so can then put out any formation you like. How is that responding to your formations? If they change in mid-game then fair enough, but i seriously doubt they set the formation up with you in mind before the game starts. When you consider that the AI fields injured players, players out of position etc, it really does not seem that clever.

• SI Staff
I'd like to hear Marc confirm this. You get to hear the opposing formation BEFORE the game so can then put out any formation you like. How is that responding to your formations? If they change in mid-game then fair enough, but i seriously doubt they set the formation up with you in mind before the game starts. When you consider that the AI fields injured players, players out of position etc, it really does not seem that clever.

In the game managers do respond and adapt during matches, I won't go into details about how the AI is implemented - but before a match starts the opposition will determine your likely formation from the prior matches, during a match they will adapt appropriately if they see fit.

(exactly how responsive and intelligent the responses are is determined by the ability, personality and style of the manager you face - some will be confident in their own teams approach and largely rely on that over-coming whatever you setup ... others will try and tactically out class you ...)

That's very interesting Marc, thanks for confirming it. I'd still like to know how the computer teams can get away with playing injured people and people completely out of position without being significantly penalised for it, especially when playing against a world class team.

• SI Staff
That's very interesting Marc, thanks for confirming it. I'd still like to know how the computer teams can get away with playing injured people and people completely out of position without being significantly penalised for it, especially when playing against a world class team.

They don't 'get away' with anything more than anyone else - the main issue (esp. on PSP version) is that sometimes their squad screen shows a selection which is 'out of date' or inappropriate because they shifted tactic since the selection was made ... I 'think' I fixed that for the iOS version though, will have to double check.

They don't 'get away' with anything more than anyone else - the main issue (esp. on PSP version) is that sometimes their squad screen shows a selection which is 'out of date' or inappropriate because they shifted tactic since the selection was made ... I 'think' I fixed that for the iOS version though, will have to double check.

West Ham started this game with two red tagged players and one injured. They subbed the injured player in the second half and still ended up with three players out of position. They played a 4-5-1 throughout the entire game and didn't change it, at any point.

http://www.duncanevans.co.uk/stuff/bad_formation.PNG

Apologies for the link, the webpage won't let me post it as an image. I'd appreciate your thoughts on how well players in red positions will play.

Archived