Great players in FM that never made it irl

For me Freddy Adu, Carlos Vela, Giles Barnes and Anthony Vanden Borre...

That said I still think if Vela got given some game time he could make a quality striker even if he's a bit of a one trick pony (chip shots).

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to live for young prospects on cm 03/04 and was still playing it five years after release! Ones that spring to mind who turned out to be legends include Joe Lewis (GK, Norwich), Billy Jones (DRC, Crewe), De La Cuesta (DLC, Atlético Nacional), Ritchie Partridge (AMRL, Liverpool), Nathan Doyle (MC, Derby), Lionel Morgan (AML, Wimbledon), Cherno Samba (SC, Millwall), Supat Rungratsamee (SC, Portsmouth).

Is he even in 12, I have looked but can't find him?

Anyway, for me it was Antoly Todorov, a striker who bagged me tons of goals, (did he actually even exist?)

The other two I always tried to get were Evandro Roncatto and Matthias Fernandez.

Todorov and Georgi Kakalov!

I used to play as Wigan for some reason, back when they were in division 2 or 3.

Roberto Martinez was an absolute beast!

Also a striker called Jesus Seba. He was insane. Absolutely insane! Scored for fun all the time.

You can google him. He kinda died off when he first left Zaragoza.

Quite tragic how a lot of these only didn't succeed because of injury. I think the new FM does well addressing this, Sneijder has gone pretty **** in mine after a bad injury. How about Anderjs Pereplyotkin too?

I remember Pereplyotkin! Only 1 save in my history of FM did i ever sign him, cant remember the year, but he had like 20 finishing and acceleration, i called him the new shevchenko, never got anywhere.

Also i noticed someone mentioned Ahmed Khalil, he actually still becomes pretty great on fm 12, seen him playing for inter and tottenham and rack up like 30m worth of transfers, also he looked pretty damn good playing for UAE in the olympics, 21 so still got a big future i think.

I remember on CM 01/02 i would start as Rushden and Diamonds as they had a couple of million to spend in the conference. I would sign these players.

Mike Duff and Jamie Victory from Cheltenham, Mike Duff had a few years in the Premier League with Burnley.

Peterborough youngsters Gareth Jellyman and James Bishop dont know what happened to them and Simon Davies and Matt Etherington from Peterborough

Mark kerr from Falkirk, was quality

Byron Bubb from Millwall

I got this goalkeeper from Telford called dean williams i think

an icelandic free agent striker called Thorvaldur makan

finally a couple of young irish free agents called derek tobin and mark tobin

Also does anyone remember what version it was when teams like Braintree, Guiseley and Lancaster would have world class players coming through their youth system, that was just messed up.

Amazing thread! Just been going through it (might of dedicated a Facebook status to some of my former FM heroes! But here is my list (most have been mentioned but it's nice to know that the gem ONLY I FOUND was also found by most of the community)

38963530.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Benedict Vilakzi is a name i havn't seem yet was at Orlando Pirates with Lebohang Mokoena.

Who was the striker that played for Partick Thistle , maybe around the same version Bakayoko was excellent, anyone remember ?

Apart from them two Todorov and Sigpursson are FM legends !

I've been trying to remember that Partick striker too. Every game I started I wanted to sign the Partick Thistle duo, Willie Howie (several mentions in this thread) and the unremembered striker (did this name begin with N? Neil, Nigel?)

Is anyone familiar with the name Wael Reyad? I had an egyptian winger named this on my Roma team once, think it was on the 00/01 version. Hopefully he was real and not a regen.

ahh.. gold old Reyad! probably the best winger in the game back then!

He played like 15 season on my Real Madrid team scoring 20+ alsmot every season.. also had 10-25 assists per season! :p

ahh.. gold old Reyad! probably the best winger in the game back then!

He played like 15 season on my Real Madrid team scoring 20+ alsmot every season.. also had 10-25 assists per season! :p

If you played him through the middle he used to score 'Maradona '86 v's England' type mazy goals practically every game.

Just about any player with high dribbling attributes was unplayable in those versions.

Also does anyone remember the insanely good midfielder (i think from 08?) called Mascio, i was so disappointed when i found out he wasnt real.

Also hes someone who made it huge, but does anyone remember Denilson from Betis? He was incredible in real life, and at the age of 26 he just disappeared from football, despite already having like 60-80 caps for Brazil. Incredible fall from grace

Juan Arango was lethal in FM 08, havn't heard of him since.

Watch more Bundesliga :) Whilst I agree he hasn't turned into quite the fm legend he was, he has still carved out a very very good career and is pretty much the best player venezuela has ever produced, still produces some moments of sheer brilliance every now and then too.

I used to play as Wigan for some reason, back when they were in division 2 or 3.

Roberto Martinez was an absolute beast!

Also a striker called Jesus Seba. He was insane. Absolutely insane! Scored for fun all the time.

You can google him. He kinda died off when he first left Zaragoza.

The Spanish trio of Jesus Seba, Roberto Martinez and Isidro Diaz were absolutely magnificent when playing as Wigan in CM2. One of my favourite save games.

He is twenty for goodness sake. How you can you say he hasn't made it when he's barely had time to?

Still, he's nowhere near the level of potential he was given back when he hadn't played a single league game and his current status, at almost 21, barely justify the high-end negative potential he still is awarded.

Same goes for many youngsters, past and present... Researchers do tend to get carried away when assigning -8s and -9s...

Dribril Cisse in FM06: He was absolutely clinical in that game with 20 pace, acceleration, finish and off the ball(LOL!). Which led me to believe that SI was actually a dribril cisse fan club. IRL, he is a decent player but never a world-top player.

Carlos Vela in FM07: He was a complete striker with 17+ attributes at pace, strength, jumping, finishing and composure at a ripen old age of 18! In reality he never, ever really got into the Arsenal squad.

Vela is still pretty young at 23 and he isn't exactly a bad player. Had a very good season on loan at Real Sociedad last season.

But that's not the point...

With few notable exceptions (mostly limited to earlier, and thus less throughly/carefully researched, versions of CM/FM), almost every highly rated youngster from recent iterations of the game has "made it" to a certain extent...

Still, those kids who in, say, FM08 or FM09 were becoming Messiesque world-beaters already in their first in-game season haven't come even remotely close to that level of brilliance in real life, several years after their original (over)evaluation.

Compare how awesome Carlos Vela is in 2012 in an old FM savegame and look at him in real-life 2012...

In a couple of years Henri Saivet could as well turn out becoming a decent player for a Ligue 1 mid-table act, but by that time in FM09 he would have won a couple of Golden Balls, Shoes etc...

Reading this thread reminded for the good old times :) So many names with so many memories.

Freddy Guarin and Freddy William Thompson - the first purchases I was making every save. Let's not forget Sherman Cardenas, Lulinha, Costanzo, Chiotis, To Madeira (fake), Yury Tsigalko, Stefan Selakovic, Julius Aghahowa, Daniel Braathen, German Herrero, Mohamed Zidan, Toledo, Alexander Farnerud, Boy-boy Mosai... Not sure what you thing about the best full-back duo in FM 05 I think - Fabio Aurelio (who was bought by Liverpool later) and Andony Iraola. Although playing for top clubs, I think they were a bit overrated and failed to show the class given to them in FM. What about Taribo West - 73 games for Auxerre in 4 years, 44 games for Inter for 2 years, 4 games for Milan for one year and got lost. He was one of the best DCs and was available for free at one point in CM.

Who were the two Brazilian lads on FM 07 or 08 I think one had Ukrainian dual nationality, both strikers and I think came from Internacional & Sao Paulo

Dagoberto always seemed to be good around 06/07 as was Fred the ex Lyon man - one might've been Thiago Ribeiro

Rafinha from Schalke was a god, also had Eduardo Ratinho

Jon De Guzman

Francisco Ochoa

Leandro Lima

Lebohang Mokoena

Manuel Fernandes

Oscar Ustari

Per Ciljan Skjelbred

Renato Augusto

Bojinov

Breno

Distel Zola

Henri Saivet

Lulinha

Matias Fernandez

Bakayoko (cm 97/98) Used to play him behind robbie keane and klinsman, was absolutely amazing! There was a MC/DMC that played for derby in this version who was amazing and young too can't remember his name

Eddie Johnson (fm 05 perhaps) was a beast physically and could finish.

Billy sharp (few years back) This kid could score 30+ goals a season in the prem for any team.

Kerlon

Marquinhos