Replicating Barca

Hi guys

Relatively new to tactic creation but i thought i would give it a go this year.

As i'm sure many of you agree, the football Barca play is simply flawless and so my aim was to replicate this. I have taken hints from other tactics i have seen around the forum but this isn't a copy.

The aim was for high percentage of possession per game high up the pitch while staying solid in defence. This possession would then hopefully lead to goals.

I have seen a few other tactics trying to get 100 passes through the playmaker Xavi. I have managed this once but this was without changing anything in the tactic, i usually manage 70+ from the player in this position. I am a bit unsure though if i should concentrate on getting this amount of passes through one player, as i feel it may ruin the balance of the team and keep the ball around midfield too often and not create enough scoring chances.

Anyway, here are a few screenshots and a link to the tactic, please feel free to use it with either Barcelona or other teams and let me know of any improvements you feel etc.

Thanks.

the formation : http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/alexferguson91/?action=view&current=BarcelonavSevillaSplitView.png#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1074.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fw407%2Falexferguson91%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DFCBarcelonaTactics_Overview-2.png

example : http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/alexferguson91/?action=view&current=BarcelonavSevillaSplitView.png#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1074.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fw407%2Falexferguson91%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DBarcelonavSevillaSplitView.png

**LINK** : http://www.mediafire.com/?dk7qv8148bxm4vc

cheers. how were you numbers on possession and passes through the playmaker? also, have you been conceding?

my playmaker who is andrea poli has been getting between 50 to 55 passes the completion is at about 40 to 44 though im finding my left back has the most passes, but i think when i start a barca save it will go up due to having better players. im getting on averge 60 40 in my favour possesion

hello, i can understand why you have messi and villa swap positions, but masch and ineasta swapping?

hi. sorry about that, to be honest i changed this as mascherano is key to the ball control i found. i didn't realise i had left it on when i uploaded the file. if you feel you want to keep it, then do. i personally find it better to not have that on

my playmaker who is andrea poli has been getting between 50 to 55 passes the completion is at about 40 to 44 though im finding my left back has the most passes, but i think when i start a barca save it will go up due to having better players. im getting on averge 60 40 in my favour possesion

i have found similar with the left back sometimes, and i can't for the life of me work out why. I can't see it being a bad thing though as the playmaker is on the left..

how many people are using this tactic at the moment then? i'm grateful for people using it and giving me feedback so cheers guys

Hi, in your opinion which is the best possession tactic (esp away from home)

I am using the Tic - Tac krunccrni standard and when it is good it is brilliant, but there are some games (e.g. Brighton away - I am man u) when it just does not work.

then I revert to Mr Hough swarm tactic FM 2012 - in order to create some chances!

just one point on the Tic - Tac krunccrni standard tactic - I took off " hold up ball" from all players - to me this made them slow and often got hacked down or put under pressure. I also removed short corners - these were, in my mind, a way of improving passing stats at teh expense of a good chance of scoring i.e. from corners

any thoughts

Lee

Hi, in your opinion which is the best possession tactic (esp away from home)

I am using the Tic - Tac krunccrni standard and when it is good it is brilliant, but there are some games (e.g. Brighton away - I am man u) when it just does not work.

then I revert to Mr Hough swarm tactic FM 2012 - in order to create some chances!

just one point on the Tic - Tac krunccrni standard tactic - I took off " hold up ball" from all players - to me this made them slow and often got hacked down or put under pressure. I also removed short corners - these were, in my mind, a way of improving passing stats at teh expense of a good chance of scoring i.e. from corners

any thoughts

Lee

Hi, personally i haven't used either of these two tactics. I have found with my tactic that away i sometimes get lower possession and concede more chances than i would at home. The chances i create usually stays the same but i think this is just natural for an away game?

When you say the other tactic doesn't work, do you just mean in terms of chances?

With the short corners, you're right, that is really the only use of them. Currently i also have short corners but it can easily be changed and i have the same thoughts as you.

As for the "hold up ball" instruction. I have played around with this a few times and at the moment i have it on and don't seem to be having any problems. In my league so far, i have scored far less than Real Madrid but only conceded 11 (26 games). How are your goals scored/conceded with the current tactic?

Cheers

Hi, personally i haven't used either of these two tactics. I have found with my tactic that away i sometimes get lower possession and concede more chances than i would at home. The chances i create usually stays the same but i think this is just natural for an away game?

When you say the other tactic doesn't work, do you just mean in terms of chances?

With the short corners, you're right, that is really the only use of them. Currently i also have short corners but it can easily be changed and i have the same thoughts as you.

As for the "hold up ball" instruction. I have played around with this a few times and at the moment i have it on and don't seem to be having any problems. In my league so far, i have scored far less than Real Madrid but only conceded 11 (26 games). How are your goals scored/conceded with the current tactic?

Cheers

Re the tactic does not work - average posession, low pass completion, and no chances (I can achieve much better results using a non possesion based tactic)

re postion in the league - 2nd - 53 pts from 21 games (1pt behind Man City but with 2 games in hand - due to the world club champ)

scored 55 conceded 13

homes played 9 won 9 scored - 31 conceded 4

away played 12 won 8, drawn 2, lost 2 scored 24 conceded 9

(only just noticed I am due a few homes games!!!)

the above sound OK - but using Mr Hough swarm I achieved the following last year

p38 W 33 D 2 L 3 For 128 against 33

and that was with me giving the kids a lot of games once I had a healthy lead in the league.

I am going to continue with the K tika taka however, (and try and buy more players to suit it / train more on one twos / simple passing) as I do like dominating possession

just another minor point - my team and the opposition tend to run less when playing tika taka (and about the same amount), but they are usually at 60% by the end and I am 70%. have you noticed this?

im sorry but i see guys like mr hough as basically cheating i think he is a great guy by the way. but his tactics exploit every loop hole in the ME a lot of the classic tactics are like this IMO

I take your point, the results I manage are beyond what would be expected at any level IRL.

that is why I am trying to move away from the Me hough swarm tactic and play with a barca esq tactic.

It just would be nice for the players to involve my Xavi (Eden Hazard) in the game!

but hopefully this will come with more training / player selection suited to my new tactic

on other tactics of this type, decisions, passing and off the ball were considered key (not withstanding key positonal traits e.g. finishing for strikers)

what abot composure and first touch?

I appreciatte there is a danger of naming 10, and then all oyu get is world class players anyway.

I would be interested in finding players that work in the system with lower PAs in order to determine what attributes they max on (rather than them all)

Lee

Re the tactic does not work - average posession, low pass completion, and no chances (I can achieve much better results using a non possesion based tactic)

re postion in the league - 2nd - 53 pts from 21 games (1pt behind Man City but with 2 games in hand - due to the world club champ)

scored 55 conceded 13

homes played 9 won 9 scored - 31 conceded 4

away played 12 won 8, drawn 2, lost 2 scored 24 conceded 9

(only just noticed I am due a few homes games!!!)

the above sound OK - but using Mr Hough swarm I achieved the following last year

p38 W 33 D 2 L 3 For 128 against 33

and that was with me giving the kids a lot of games once I had a healthy lead in the league.

I am going to continue with the K tika taka however, (and try and buy more players to suit it / train more on one twos / simple passing) as I do like dominating possession

just another minor point - my team and the opposition tend to run less when playing tika taka (and about the same amount), but they are usually at 60% by the end and I am 70%. have you noticed this?

i don't see why it should be any different. Now and then like i said, i do get slightly lower stats away from home but throughout my season i've lost 1 away and 1 at home.

Yeah, you're doing well anyway but i get what you're saying.

I have the same kind of thoughts as rich74 regarding tactics such as that. Not to take anything away from the guy because they obviously work, just isn't my kind of thing.

If you want to use my tactic, let me know how it goes for you :)

As for the running distances and fitness, i haven't noticed this but i would assume it would be because while you have the ball your opponents are working hard to get it back, harder than your players are to retain the ball anyway!

hi alex will you be working on some more barca tactics because every time ive seen them this year they have played 3 at the back it would be great to have a plan b

alright mate. i'm coming towards the end of my first season using the tactic i posted, just destroyed utd 4 0 in the champions league quarters first leg. I do aim to try and do this yes. I think it would be a great achievement to win with three at the back so this is in my plans. If it will be successful or not, will have to wait and see!

I am also keen to try my tactic with other teams to see if the same results are possible just on a lower scale

i don't see why it should be any different. Now and then like i said, i do get slightly lower stats away from home but throughout my season i've lost 1 away and 1 at home.

Yeah, you're doing well anyway but i get what you're saying.

I have the same kind of thoughts as rich74 regarding tactics such as that. Not to take anything away from the guy because they obviously work, just isn't my kind of thing.

If you want to use my tactic, let me know how it goes for you :)

As for the running distances and fitness, i haven't noticed this but i would assume it would be because while you have the ball your opponents are working hard to get it back, harder than your players are to retain the ball anyway!

more then happy to try your tactic. hopefullymy players will pick it up quickly given the similarity (I assume) with the other tactics I use.

sorry to be lazy, but am currently working away with c slow internet - would you be able to post a link to your latest version.

will keep you posted once I have applied it.

many thanks for your responses

L

can anyone please help with the following two quesitons re the barca formation that is typical of most threads of this type

1) the AML & AMRC - is this just an attempt to replicate barca, or is it os genuine benefit i.e. one wide and one narrow.

2) why so the CD have such different instructions, this mauy add an extra person to midfield, but I find defensively it leaves me open to through balls as my CD are so far apart.

apologies is these questions are not clear / basic to those of you that understand the ME more.

Lee

Geraghty:

1) I use wide players in my Barce tactic because it offers more passing options for the centre midfielders and the fullbacks. If the opposition has packed the midfield it allows a passing outlet for my centre midfielders. Also, I tend to play narrow with my tactics due to the short passing. The wide midfielders add width to the play, even though I'm playing narrow.

2) Not sure about this. I tend to have one of my Central Defenders on the same instructions except for closing down. One of my CBs will have a higher closing down so as he moves out ahead of the other CB in order to close down advancing forwards/attacking midfielders. I do this because I don't play with a defensive midfielder, so my central defenders don't have cover from a defensive midfielder who would normally be closing down the opposition attacking midfielder.

Hope this answers your questions in general. If they are specific to the tactic in this thread then I can't answer as I haven't used the tactic. I was reading this thread as I like to see people's different approaches when developing Barce's tactic; I saw your question and thought I'd try and help. :)

more then happy to try your tactic. hopefullymy players will pick it up quickly given the similarity (I assume) with the other tactics I use.

sorry to be lazy, but am currently working away with c slow internet - would you be able to post a link to your latest version.

will keep you posted once I have applied it.

many thanks for your responses

L

yeah there shouldn't be a problem with it.

Here's the link

http://www.mediafire.com/?tkltgr17v4gtbe4

let me know. cheers

can anyone please help with the following two quesitons re the barca formation that is typical of most threads of this type

1) the AML & AMRC - is this just an attempt to replicate barca, or is it os genuine benefit i.e. one wide and one narrow.

2) why so the CD have such different instructions, this mauy add an extra person to midfield, but I find defensively it leaves me open to through balls as my CD are so far apart.

apologies is these questions are not clear / basic to those of you that understand the ME more.

Lee

Hi. I will try and answer this the best i can. Basically, my thinking was that i wanted Villa as the striker, and Messi to be able to cut inside from the right. I didn't want him as a true winger because i don't particularly want him to get rid of the ball in to the box straight away. By him being inside more he will contribute with goals and assists. Also, as Dani Alves is set as a wing back this gives him more space to go in to and he doesn't have to invade Messi's space. This is different on the left as Abidal or Adriano aren't quite as good going forward and so they are only full backs. Does this help?

As for the CB, this was done purely to encourage balls in to the midfield. The plan is to control games and win the ball back high up the pitch so that this wouldn't be so much of a problem. Have you experienced this a lot? I can't say i concede very many to be honest?

Hope this helps

Hi. I will try and answer this the best i can. Basically, my thinking was that i wanted Villa as the striker, and Messi to be able to cut inside from the right. I didn't want him as a true winger because i don't particularly want him to get rid of the ball in to the box straight away. By him being inside more he will contribute with goals and assists. Also, as Dani Alves is set as a wing back this gives him more space to go in to and he doesn't have to invade Messi's space. This is different on the left as Abidal or Adriano aren't quite as good going forward and so they are only full backs. Does this help?

As for the CB, this was done purely to encourage balls in to the midfield. The plan is to control games and win the ball back high up the pitch so that this wouldn't be so much of a problem. Have you experienced this a lot? I can't say i concede very many to be honest?

Hope this helps

Re messi - yes, makes sense - I guess it is more about the players you have than the formation (i.e. for utd there is maybe a case for reversing the tactic i.e. evra going forward and smalling holding back (with nani / valencia on the right as the out and out winger and in my case eden hazard playing the AMLC role).

mmmmm A mirror of the tactic might also help combat the AI in games - I will give it a try

re the CB issue - just away from home when they play one behind the striker the CB pushes up on the AMC to close him down and he feeds the ball through. noticed it a few times now. maybe again to do with my players rather than the formaiton. Anyway, I have amended and made the DMC sit more to protect the CBs when away from home.

many thanks for posting the tactic -going to to watch the real thing tonight for inspiraiton!

may have been interesting to develop this tactic with the old with ball / without ball design of yester year!!

Lee

Geraghty:

1) I use wide players in my Barce tactic because it offers more passing options for the centre midfielders and the fullbacks. If the opposition has packed the midfield it allows a passing outlet for my centre midfielders. Also, I tend to play narrow with my tactics due to the short passing. The wide midfielders add width to the play, even though I'm playing narrow.

2) Not sure about this. I tend to have one of my Central Defenders on the same instructions except for closing down. One of my CBs will have a higher closing down so as he moves out ahead of the other CB in order to close down advancing forwards/attacking midfielders. I do this because I don't play with a defensive midfielder, so my central defenders don't have cover from a defensive midfielder who would normally be closing down the opposition attacking midfielder.

Hope this answers your questions in general. If they are specific to the tactic in this thread then I can't answer as I haven't used the tactic. I was reading this thread as I like to see people's different approaches when developing Barce's tactic; I saw your question and thought I'd try and help. :)

all advice appreciated - many thanks for taking the time to repsond.

in terms of the key training skills - I am currently going for : likes to play one-twos - likes the ball to feet - looks to pass rather than to shoot

would you say these are key, what about: simple passing and do not run with the ball?

Lee

http://www.mediafire.com/?tkltgr17v4gtbe4

here is a link to the the same tactic but i have just changed the DMC and AMC position swap in case anybody hasn't read the previous posts and won't want to play with it on. If you feel you like it as it is, the first link is fine :)

cheers

thank you, am back at full broadband now - to be honest I have been looking at so many of these barca esq threads (and you appear on a few of them also) that I rather lost my way - hence why I asked for the link - not realising that this thread is not as long winded as others!!

many thanks Lee

just started a new game last night

decided if I wanted to replicate Barca, and share thoughts, it was easier if I was Barca!

using the thread's tactic excluding the swap - only playing pre season at the moment. I agree maschareno is key in terms of ball retention. watched a game in full -he acts as a wall for the other players to play one twos off - plus is excellent definsively at regaining possesion.

also going to try a variation using - no hold up ball and much quicker tempo to see how they impacts on chances

also, any views on the "shouts" such as pass ball to feet and retain possession?

will keep you posted.

Lee

all advice appreciated - many thanks for taking the time to repsond.

in terms of the key training skills - I am currently going for : likes to play one-twos - likes the ball to feet - looks to pass rather than to shoot

would you say these are key, what about: simple passing and do not run with the ball?

Lee

yep i would say those are key. Regarding the run with the ball, i would probably try and restrict but you will need it sometimes. So for example a Messi type player, there is no point wasting some of his talent and not letting him dribble ever. But players like Xavi, yes, make them pass

just started a new game last night

decided if I wanted to replicate Barca, and share thoughts, it was easier if I was Barca!

using the thread's tactic excluding the swap - only playing pre season at the moment. I agree maschareno is key in terms of ball retention. watched a game in full -he acts as a wall for the other players to play one twos off - plus is excellent definsively at regaining possesion.

also going to try a variation using - no hold up ball and much quicker tempo to see how they impacts on chances

also, any views on the "shouts" such as pass ball to feet and retain possession?

will keep you posted.

Lee

How is your new Barca game going then? Mascherano is key and the job he does is priceless.

Good idea, nope i never use shouts.

How far in are you now?

I just completed a season, happy with the tactic but i was annoyed that by losing Messi, Villa, Iniesta, Sanchez and Busquets for both the CL final and Copa del ray i lost to R Madrid 1 0 both times.

How is your new Barca game going then? Mascherano is key and the job he does is priceless.

Good idea, nope i never use shouts.

How far in are you now?

I just completed a season, happy with the tactic but i was annoyed that by losing Messi, Villa, Iniesta, Sanchez and Busquets for both the CL final and Copa del ray i lost to R Madrid 1 0 both times.

it is now 10 Dec

played 14 w 13 L 1 For 53 Ag 8

Real are second four points behind and have them next in the league (away) before I head off for the club world champ

won CL group P 6 won 5 - rested players during this as the group was easy

sold maxwell and put afellay out on loan

boughta striker with my money - Doumbia played 17 scored 13 (was £18m from CSKA) has been a star since I adapted his game to place shots

won spanish and euro super cups

getting about 60% possesion typicically and 85% passing

mascherano (50 to 70) usually has the most passes with Xava making the most key (3 per game)

Montoya is playing well as a back up to alves

dos santos fills in well at DMC if I play basquets as ball playing CH

the shouts do not appear to have a great impact - have tried to exploit middle / wide depending on the formation of the other team

also tried overload and control styles once the game is won - overload does push up the goals for without to great a loss in possession and passing.

will keep you posted.

decided I need a new LB and CB for the summer (thinking of Evra and vidic / jones)

Lee

so vs real madrid (away)

Alves suspended

Pique injured the day before

no ronaldo for Madrid - suspended

Messi injured after 15 mins (sub - on Alexis)

Xavi taken a knock at 20 mins (down to 70%)

scored !!!!! at 40 minsBasquests corner

iniesta taken a knock on 40mins (down to 64%)

valdes injured on 45+1 (sub - Pinto!)

45+3 - Alonso scores from 30 yards - Pinto first touch to take the ball out of the net

HT 1-1

Sanchez scores in the 87min

Won 2-1 !!!!

now seven points clear after 15 games (but lost messi and valdes for 4 to 5 weeks, and therefore missing the CWC)

L

so vs real madrid (away)

Alves suspended

Pique injured the day before

no ronaldo for Madrid - suspended

Messi injured after 15 mins (sub - on Alexis)

Xavi taken a knock at 20 mins (down to 70%)

scored !!!!! at 40 minsBasquests corner

iniesta taken a knock on 40mins (down to 64%)

valdes injured on 45+1 (sub - Pinto!)

45+3 - Alonso scores from 30 yards - Pinto first touch to take the ball out of the net

HT 1-1

Sanchez scores in the 87min

Won 2-1 !!!!

now seven points clear after 15 games (but lost messi and valdes for 4 to 5 weeks, and therefore missing the CWC)

L

thanks for the update :).

seems you're doing well.

also seems the tactic is working in the fact that you're playing some decent football and retaining possession.

V disappointed

just got my new set of kids through

v low potential in terms of stars

only one of them can currently pass (above 10)

but - am top by 7 pts, in the semi finals (more or less - 3-0 first leg lead) of the champions league

got Thiago neves and hargreaves on free transfers for next year

just need to get a new reserve keeper, CB and LB for next season.

Well . . .

won the league (by a mile)

P38 W32 D4 L2 F126 A121 PTS 100

won CL (beating inter in the final despite xavi being injured 1 month before)

Lost to real madird in the semi final of the spanish cup (my fault - fielded a weakened side)

just signed Adler, ganso, hummels and lahm (never managed to get him before as Man U) alongside my free transfers thiago neves, aimar, saviloa and hargreaves.

have also taken over the mgmt of the B team (as a seperate manager) in order that they play the same way plus train hard.

looking good for the new season

Lee

can post screen shots, but on work PC at the minute, so will need to transfer

the tactic worked v well - going to try the mirror tactic for the new season in order to confuse AI (esp with Lahm at LB)

Well . . .

won the league (by a mile)

P38 W32 D4 L2 F126 A121 PTS 100

won CL (beating inter in the final despite xavi being injured 1 month before)

Lost to real madird in the semi final of the spanish cup (my fault - fielded a weakened side)

just signed Adler, ganso, hummels and lahm (never managed to get him before as Man U) alongside my free transfers thiago neves, aimar, saviloa and hargreaves.

have also taken over the mgmt of the B team (as a seperate manager) in order that they play the same way plus train hard.

looking good for the new season

Lee

can post screen shots, but on work PC at the minute, so will need to transfer

the tactic worked v well - going to try the mirror tactic for the new season in order to confuse AI (esp with Lahm at LB)

done well there, and a good idea with the B team.

how many goals is that you conceded in the league?

i feel i should try this tactic with another team, so i may start that some point soon.

Hi,

just to let you know that I am off skiing for a week tonight so will not be able to play for a week!

am currently 3rd in the league in season 2

P13 W 10 L 3 F 31 Ag 7 PTS 30

madird are on 34pts, P13 W 11 D1 L 1 F 28 against 2!!!!!

R Soc are on 32 pts but have played a game more

have lost three away games to madrid, athletic B and Seville (that I deserved to lose) but aside from that won the rest pretty easy. Conceded 5 of the 7 goals in my three defeats.

will crack on once I return from Skiing

hopefully the thread will still be going

I feel there is a need to gnerate more CCC (so will have a think about how / read some manuals etc. but whilst stay true to the tactic)

Lee

Archived