Positional play - full back as wing back

Still on Fm10 and want to utilise a full back as a wing back. If I place him in the FB position and copy his instructions from the wing back settings will he play exactly the same way without losing anything because he wouldn't be playing out of position.

The only difference would be his positioning on the pitch in the tactics graphic but if I am using the mentality setting of a wing back would he line up further forward?

Support or attack duty gives him max. forward runs so he will be pushed up to next line :)

PS. There is no difference between wingback in WB position and wingback in FB position according to TC so any manual modifications are not needed - just change the role.

The point is that he is a full back and if I play him in the wing back position then he will get a red dot instead of green and his performance will be affected by him playing out of position. What I am actually trying to do is trick the game into letting him play as a wing back without giving him red dot status

The point is that he is a full back and if I play him in the wing back position then he will get a red dot instead of green and his performance will be affected by him playing out of position. What I am actually trying to do is trick the game into letting him play as a wing back without giving him red dot status

But you can give him wingback role without moving him to wingback position and TC should give him the same instructions as for wingback in WB position.

Ok I see and have just tested this and he keeps his green dot. So if all instructions are the same then what would be the difference depending on whether he is played in the FB or WB position on the pitch??

Ok I see and have just tested this and he keeps his green dot. So if all instructions are the same then what would be the difference depending on whether he is played in the FB or WB position on the pitch??

Only one - red dot you mentioned earlier :)

But presumably in the WB position he would be starting from further up the pitch despite having the same mentality

I've made a test: set one wingback in WB position and other in FB position. After a match I've checked average positions - both played in WB position. However different positions seem to affect passes they received (especially from GK and DCs).

in what way?

Pushed-up wingback seems to be better passing option not only for GK but for other players on a pitch. I'm not sure if this happend due to advanced position or his better attacking attributes (or other factors like other players roles and formation)...

This would make a very interesting thread if you were able to show us your results with some in-game pictures, average position maps etc.

testdux.png

test2sy.png

Zonal marking for everyone, no hassle opponent shout, both wingbacks on support duty.

Thanks for that, seems they play (on average) in the same positions.

But as suggested above, perhaps give us the individual heat maps, where they are making tackles/interceptions and also where they are making their passes from.

These will help us understand what the major differences are in play style between the two.

I think this is very interesting. Do you have pics of the passes from both Backs? And other things maybe, such as tackles, interceptions etc.

Because it looks like it is very symmetrical. How was river playing? With wingers or without?

They played 4-4-2. It looks symmetrical because I've edited players to make them either-footed and have identical PPMs and attributes:

- S.Mandanda - either-footed

- P.Zabaleta has G.Clichy attributes and PPMs (both either-footed);

- J.Lescott - V.Kompany's attributes and PPMs (both either-footed);

- G.Barry - Y.Toure (as above);

- M.Balotelli - J.Milner (as above);

- S.Nasri - either-footed;

- S.Aguero - either-footed.

No playmaker, focus passing on mixed.

Thanks for that, seems they play (on average) in the same positions.

But as suggested above, perhaps give us the individual heat maps, where they are making tackles/interceptions and also where they are making their passes from.

These will help us understand what the major differences are in play style between the two.

RB's tackles:

rbtackles.png

RB's passes:

rbpasses.png

RB's interceptions:

rbinterceptions.png

I'm stunned, Zabableta is making significantly more passes up field compared to Clichy.

It does seem that Clichy is just pumping balls into the box from the halfway line though.

This may be an issue related to decisions.

I'd be interested in one of the more experienced match analysers to have a look at this and give their thoughts.

I'm stunned, Zabableta is making significantly more passes up field compared to Clichy.

It does seem that Clichy is just pumping balls into the box from the halfway line though.

This may be an issue related to decisions.

I'd be interested in one of the more experienced match analysers to have a look at this and give their thoughts.

Both Clichy and Zabaleta played with the same level of decisions (10).

Instructions:

Forward runs - often;

Runs with ball - rarely;

Try through balls - rarely;

Shots from distance - rarely;

Cross ball - mixed.

Edit.

Zabaleta played against v.weak fullback (marking - 8, tackling - 10, positioning - 8) so probably had more space than Clichy.

Archived