Strikers in a 3-5-2

I've got a 3-5-2 tactic in mind. Essentially it's got 7 players in rigidly defensive positions - a back three, and four across midfield blocking the opposition midfield - leaving three players who will be the crux of the team, the creativity and the goal threat. The four defensive midfielders should leave me with a man over in midfield. I thought about giving him a deep-lying playmaker role and putting more emphasis on the wingers to support the attack. Instead I'm going to make him a box-to-box midfielder, carrying the ball out of defence and linking up in attack. I'm thinking about ticking him as the team's playmaker. So far, fairly straightforward.

Now, for the two strikers. I've never used one before but I'm thinking a trequartista may be what this team needs: the one player breaking out of the rigid lines, drifting to the flanks, and attacking goal. Partnering him, I'm thinking a target man who will lead the line, receive the ball with his back to goal and lay it off to the trequartista (and box-to-box midfielder), and even attack goal when the trequartista is crossing or playing through balls. I will probably set up two formations, one with the trequartista in the Striker position and one in the AM position, to suit whichever individual's natural position it is.

My question really is will the trequartista attack goal like I want him to, running at defenders with the ball and running on to through balls from my target man? They're things I'd expect a deep-lying forward to do, but might he not drift to the flanks as a trequartista would?

And if I am going with a trequartista, is a target man a suitable partner or should I be using a nippy little poacher who will run on to the trequartista's through balls? I'm not really thinking of a big lump centre forward, he needs to be decent as a striker as well as having technical ability to hold up the ball or be used to play one-twos with.

(Does anyone else spend their lunchtimes dreaming up new tactics?!)

I've got a 3-5-2 tactic in mind. Essentially it's got 7 players in rigidly defensive positions - a back three, and four across midfield blocking the opposition midfield - leaving three players who will be the crux of the team, the creativity and the goal threat. The four defensive midfielders should leave me with a man over in midfield. I thought about giving him a deep-lying playmaker role and putting more emphasis on the wingers to support the attack. Instead I'm going to make him a box-to-box midfielder, carrying the ball out of defence and linking up in attack. I'm thinking about ticking him as the team's playmaker. So far, fairly straightforward.

Now, for the two strikers. I've never used one before but I'm thinking a trequartista may be what this team needs: the one player breaking out of the rigid lines, drifting to the flanks, and attacking goal. Partnering him, I'm thinking a target man who will lead the line, receive the ball with his back to goal and lay it off to the trequartista (and box-to-box midfielder), and even attack goal when the trequartista is crossing or playing through balls. I will probably set up two formations, one with the trequartista in the Striker position and one in the AM position, to suit whichever individual's natural position it is.

My question really is will the trequartista attack goal like I want him to, running at defenders with the ball and running on to through balls from my target man? They're things I'd expect a deep-lying forward to do, but might he not drift to the flanks as a trequartista would?

And if I am going with a trequartista, is a target man a suitable partner or should I be using a nippy little poacher who will run on to the trequartista's through balls? I'm not really thinking of a big lump centre forward, he needs to be decent as a striker as well as having technical ability to hold up the ball or be used to play one-twos with.

(Does anyone else spend their lunchtimes dreaming up new tactics?!)

Got no tips on the tactic but many lunch breaks and boring car journeys are spent :)

I am not sure Trequarista-Target Man partnership would work. Usually both of them are used in a formation with another striker, preferably poacher, because their main job isnt really to score goals (well it is since they are strikers) but the usually work as thelinking part between goalscorer and midfield. Trequarista would look for space behing between the opponents defence and midfield, using his mental and technical atributes to outclass opponents ad target man would stop the ball and play short simple passes to upcoming midfielders allowing them to get higher up the pitch. I think you will lack the highest positioned player, player who would stay near the last defender waiting for a cruical through ball, if you use TM-Treq combo..

I suggest TM - Poacher (if you have physically gifted TM), Treq-Poacher (if you have technically gifted striker) or DLS-Poacher.

Be interested to see how you get on Andy23. I have spent 3 seasons in Serie C2 and just won the title by a country mile with my 4-4-2 narrow diamond I've been developing over that period. Expecting to be more of an underdog next year and am looking at a 5-3-2 ( using wing backs ) which gives the flexibility of defending in strength against strong teams and attacking in numbers against weaker teams. Am looking to have 3 flavours depending whether the opposition is stonger/same/weaker so will be very interested in how your formation and style shapes up

Yes I very much have in mind the issue of moving up to a tougher league where you need to be more defensively responsible. There will be a heavy reliance on the box-to-box midfielder and the trequartista to be the stars to turn around results because the rest are rigidly blocking the opposition. But I think if you develop into one of the division's strongest teams, you can give a bit more freedom to the two central midfielders to play, or even move one of them forward to make it a 3-4-3.

The dilemma I have is that I won my league by about 15 pts and have build a very good squad over the last 3 seasons. On checking the teams mid table in the league above it looks like I am possibly good enough to compete at that level now so my current 4-4-2 may get me through. However having played it for 3 years I feel like I want to change and have found that up until this season I never managed to beat a 5-3-2 so I fancied this formation. The downside is that 3 DC's is too many against a single striker but as most AI teams seem to play a 4-4-2 then it is still a viable formation. I can always revert back to my 4-4-2 when playing against single striker formations. Anyway I've sort of burnt my bridges now as I have 2 WB's coming in at the start of next season and am retraining my existing FB's into WB's.

Just out of interest I was searching the net for info on the 5-3-2 and came across the uefa vids on youtube with some excellent analysis from Roy Hodgson on the strengths/weaknesses of this formation and many others. Certainly worth checking out if you are that way inclined. Good luck

If you play a high defensive line with two of the centre backs as stoppers, you could almost consider them defensive midfielders or full backs. Or if you've got a technically gifted centre back you could play him like a sweeper or playmaker from the back where he'll have space. I think there's a lot to be said for three at the back.

I think I've posted here if you search about a sort of 3-4-3 formation I've been playing. 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs, 2 central midfielders, 2 wingers and 1 striker. Quite a nice balance, I find, if you've got the right players.

I'll check out the thread but I haven't had any wingers in the squad ever and do like to play 2 up top so I will be looking for the WB's to bomb forward and provide the ammo in to the centre for the advancing MC (s) and forwards. I have some pretty good DC's so have already considered the sweeper option....plenty still to do though

Seaugullfan: They're AML and AMR as Defensive Wingers, so pressing the opposition full backs and making up a 3-man strikeforce essentially. The difficulty is having a central striker good enough to play alone until the wingers join him.

Archived