The Board want Promotion and nothing else, why can't you deliver?

Super Saddler

Walall Football Club have sacked manager Paul Merson following a run of poor results.

Merson has struggled to convince The Bescot faithful , who are currently a midtable League 1 team.

A statement from Walsall on Monday said: "We would like to thank Paul for the time and effort he has given."

The club is to make an announcement on Tuesday.

Merson left following a crunch meeting with chairman Jeff Bonser but will remain at the club as a player until another managerial offer is found.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walall Football Club have sacked manager Paul Merson following a run of poor results.

Merson has struggled to convince The Bescot faithful , who are currently a midtable League 1 team.

A statement from Walsall on Monday said: "We would like to thank Paul for the time and effort he has given."

The club is to make an announcement on Tuesday.

Merson left following a crunch meeting with chairman Jeff Bonser but will remain at the club as a player until another managerial offer is found.

Good luck! I've found it very difficult managing clubs of our size (Walsall/Rotherham) in the current version of FM.

Oh, and I nearly threw my PC through the window when, in one of my current games, Merson was appointed manager at Millmoor icon_mad.gif

Nottingham Forest have turned down an approach from League one rivals Walsallto speak with manager Gary Megson.

Walsall parted company with Paul Merson last week and wil now have to widen thier search for a new manager.

The Forest chairman said: "I can confirm that on Monday afternoon Walsall called for permission to speak to Gary.

"But the call lasted about 30 seconds, and the answer was no."

Charlie Domino has been named the new manager of Walsall Football Club.

The 38 year old has been a youth development coach with conference team Tamworth.

Previous manager Paul Merson remains at the club and removed of his managerial duties due to a poor run of results and a poor position.

Domino is yet to name his assistant manager but it seems likely that he may name Merson within the next couple of days.

Walsall are classed as a mid table team but Domino is optismitic about the future of the club "We are no sleeping giant and Premiership football is a long way off, however there is still great potential at the football club and hopefully given time we can move forward."

"There is already a good set up here and it is my responsibility to drive towards Championship football, the club has already been there and there is no reason why it can not return"

Former Walsall manager Paul Merson has been asked to assist new manager Charlie Domino, as expected Merson signs a new Assistant Manager contract and states that he still has plenty to offer the club.

Merson who was sacked due to poor results is currently on the side lines due to a minor injury.

Merson is said to be happy that Domino thinks that he still has something to offer the club. Our main aim is to re-establish Walsall into a Championship side, it is something that I have failed to do, but I'm happy to be assisting Charlie in trying to obtain this objective."

Theres rumours of transfer dealings whistling around the Bescot Stadium.

One known target is 18 year old Lee Collymore who is available on a free transfer. Domino will have to beat non league opposition for the signature of the yougster, however it looks inevitable that he will be linking up with the Saddlers soon.

Kris Taylor is being targeted for a loan move to a number of League 2 clubs. Domino is listening to offers. Also another youngster Sean Platt could be moving to a non league club on a permanent basis. A number of offers have been received and a couple have been accepted. More news will follow shortly.

Youngster Sean Platt is in a player swop deal with James Constable.

Domino has now recruited two young attackers into the club in the hope that they develop into quality goal scorers.

Bennett and Wright are still being targeted by League 2 clubs for loan moves just 1 week before the start of the season.

Brighton have made a firm enquiry about Bennett, a response has been given, but can Brighton match Walsall's demands for a player that has developed through the youth system?

Tranmere are the bookies 6-4 favourites to obtain promotion from League 1 this season, other main contenders for the title are Nottingham Forest 7-4, Brentford, Bristol City and Hartlepool 2-1 and Huddersfild 8-1. Walsall have been installed at 33-1 and Charlie Domino will be able to judge his realistic chances as Walsall face favourites Tranmere the opening day of the season.

Mark Wright leaves Bescot on a 6 month loan deal to League 2 team Bristol Rovers. Wright has been left on the side lines throughout the preseason friendlies due to the in form Darren Wrack.

Wright will hopefully gain valuable first team experience and be ready to challenge for a first team place at Bescot when he returns.

Its the opening day of the season, and the atmosphere is completely different to that experienced during the pre season friendlies. This is what it is all about.

This is the first real opportunity for some fans to have seen me and to comment on my style of football. Some dire hard fans had been to all our friendlies and had commented that we looked quite a useful unit a couple of signings would help and the youngsters would have to find their feet quickly but they were positive. I was more worried.

Tranmere were the visitors and we were straight away the underdogs. I don't mind the underdog people talk more if you beat the favourite rather than lose if you beat the underdog.

In what was an entertaining game, Walsall manage to share the spoils with a 3-3 draw, Walsall's goals coming from Osborn, Leitato and Fryatt. Tranmere should have won the game but missed a penalty late in the second half.

Its a positive start and its the start of a long journey lets hope its worth while.

9th August 2005

Walsall V Huddersfield - (6,827)

The first 20 minutes of this game saw each team give possession away to easy any move forward was stopped with a poor pass somewhere along the way.

Huddersfield did have the better chances, Walsall's main opportunity came just before half time when Leitato shoots into the side netting. The resulting goal kick results in the opening goal for Huddersfield. Walsall must have been asleep when the ball hit the back of the net as none of the players seemed to move. Wrack picks up a slight knock but nothing serious. He leaves the park but should be available for the next match.

11th August 2005

Transfer News at Bescot Stadium

Joe Broad is being targeted for a loan move to local conference side Hereford.

Brighton have tabled a bid of £150,000 for Julian Bennett, the bid was declined and Brighton would have to double it for any offers to be considered.

13th August 2005

Hartlepool V Walsall

Nelson brings down Leitao in the box and a penalty is given. Pead converts the penalty and Walsall lead after 21 minutes. In an abysmal match with nothing else to report Walsall leave Hartlepool with 3 points. The game could have been won by either side but it was the Black Country boys that are rewarded.

Back at the club......Joe Broad has agreed to move to Tamworth for 6 months. Broad joined Walsall from Torway and has managed 10 appearances since joining Bescot in 2004. However he has not featured in the starting line up since Domino's arrival.

20th August 2005

Walsall v Bristol City

Steve Brooker's goal seals the 3 points for Bristol City.

Domino is upset about the performance and everybody involved with the club knows that he is not happy with the result. Its a bit of an unpredictable start for the Saddlers and the Board were hoping for something special.

24th August 2005

QPR V Walsall - League Cup 1st Round

My first taste of cup football, yet the result was not one I was looking for. Yes I admit we were playing higher league opposition but I thought that they were there for the taking. I was impressed by Stefan Moore and he was a handful all afternoon.

We managed to take the game into extra time following goals from Wrack and Fryatt. However 5 minutes from the end of Extra time Shimmin settles the tie. We fall at the first hurdle but we were never going to win the cup anyway. League Cup football at Bescot finished early this year.

27th August 2005

Barnsley V Walsall (11,056)

A poor defensive perormance sees Walsall fall deeper into trouble. The scoreline of 4-2 does not reflect the performance of the Saddlers but they deserve to leave with nothing.

Fryatt and Standing were on the score sheet for the Saddlers but it was not enough to match the striking force of Burns, Jarvis, Kay and Hayes for the home side.

Oaks fumbled the ball twice in the box to gift the home side two of the goals and Domino must be forced to look for a long term replacement keeper.

Rumours floating around the ground suggest that Domino will walk out of the club less than 2 months into his career stating that he has not got the full backing from the players. Its rumours and I'm sure there will be a press release on Monday about that.

Wrack Off

Scottish Premiership side Motherwell bolster their midfield today with the surprise capture of Walsall midfielder Darren Wrack.

Wrack ever present in the Saddlers midfield this season leaves Bescot for £250,000.

Wrack states the main reason was down to family but is excited of the prospect of playing in the top flight and hopefully pushing Motherwell into Europe something that he wouldn't be able to do at Bescot Stadium.

"I wish all the lads at Bescot the best, I have been here a long time and when an opportunity like this comes along you can't turn your nose up at it. It was a hard decision to make but to be honest one that I couldn't refuse. I am also sure that the Saddlers will start to come good and I know that Charlie Domino is keen to succeed I am positive that all the hard work put into the club so far this season will pay off"

Saddlers swoop for Burgess

Walsall manager Charlie Domino has yet again landed a striker. Irish striker Ben Burgess links up with the Saddlers on a 3 month loan deal from Championside Hull City. Domino commented on the inconsistency of the current strike force and required immediate strong options. "I have brought a number of strikers into the club but those purchased before are developmental players who aren't ready for first team football. Ben is an international and should provide us with more options upfront."

Monday 29th August 2005

Walsall v MK Dons

A must win game for the Saddlers turns sour when a last minute goal sends the 3 points to Milton Keynes. A reduced number of faces in the crowd outlines the frustration of the Bescot faithful and the boos could be heard throughout the ground.

Charlie Domino released this statement in his press conference following this result. "This was another poor performance, but don't forget I haven't had long to turn things around. I hear the crowds frustration and I can't blame them however I am frustrated as well. We all need to stick together and pull the club through this difficult time. Walsall football club deserve better and I am here to help acheive this.

I am not being forced out of the club and the players, staff and board are committed to obtain Championship football. That is our main aim. I want to quash the rumours I hear and want the fans to provide more encouragement rather than the gossip talking on the stands"

Motherwell raid the Saddlers (again)

Scottish Premiership side Motherwell return to Bescot in a bid to sign young central defender Julian Bennett. Bennett has been in the reserves since Domino's arrival at Bescot and it looks certain the player will move to Scotland in the new year.

A price of around £250,000 has been agreed with a sell on clause of 40% should Motherwell sign him on. Bennett a development of the youth system is the 2nd player this week to move North of the Border.

3rd September 2005

Chesterfield V Walsall

Walsall leave Chesterfield with 3 points and manager Charlie Domino cannot hide his excitement.

"This was a wonderful performance and there is no reason why we can't build on this in the next couple of weeks, everybody dug deep and pulled off a good result"

Goals from Simon Osborn on the 50th minute and Matty Fryatt on 82 minutes seals the points for the Saddlers who see themselves just outside the relegation zone.

"It's still early days and the players are still jelling together"

When asked about the sale of key players Bennett and Wrack Domino comments "You cannot stop players wanting to play at higher levels. Both the lads have been here a long time and offered 100% service they are committed to the club and would still be here had Motherwell paid reasonable money for them both. The Board had given me instructions at the start of the season to build for the forthcoming season and that is what I am doing slowly. I wish both of them succcess they deserve it.

10th September 2005

Southend V Walsall

Neil Hancox had no alternative than to dismiss Southend defender Rosa after 18 minutes. In a dire game neither side looked like winning and Walsall could not take advantage of the extra man. Freddy Eastwood put the home side in front with a well taken goal on 59 minutes.

Southend operated the off side trap well and frustrated the Walsall front line continously all afternoon. Manager Charlie Domino is frustrated at the result especially as he saw his side command possession throughout the match.

17th September 2005

Swindon V Walsall

Saddlers come out firing

Walsall boosted their hopes of avoiding a relegation battle by smashing three goals past fellow strugglers Swindon.

A penalty from Merson and a Fryatt double was enough to secure a much needed 3 points.

The home side never looked like scoring and the result was never in doubt after the Saddlers opened the scoring on 10 minutes.

24th September 2005

Walsall V Doncaster

Craig Pead and Daniel Fox both out injured with calf strain and broken arm respectively.

Doncaster were sailing high at the top of the league whilst we were just above the dreaded relegation zone.

After 25 minutes Guy opens the score for Doncaster. The game opens up following the 30 minute dismissal of Ryan for tripping Burgess. However this does not damper Doncaster's attack and the lead extends to 2 with Roberts netting.

Johnathan Harkness a surprise inclusion in the starting 11 is sent off on 77 minutes.

The final score Walsall 0 Doncaster 2.

Walsall drop 2 places to 19th and Gerrard picks up a 1 match ban for receiving 5 yellow cards and Harkness banned for 1 match following his sending off.

27th September 2005

Port Vale V Walsall

Saddlers stun Vale

Charlie Domino makes a shock inclusion in his starting 11 for the second match running by naming 19 year old Lee Vaughan. Domino has limited backup on the left of defence with Julian Bennett out on loan, Fox and Taylor injured and the recent suspension of Harkness.

Despite Port Vale's domination the score remains 0-0 until the 81st minutes when top goal scorer Matty Fryatt adds another one to his tally.

The Vale fans protest after the match as they can't beleive they have thrown 3 points away. Walsall fans are pleased as there team now moves up to 16th.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bcfcfanuk:

I'm currently walsall on FM06. I got offered the job in january 2006 (we were 16th) i got them promoted(finishing 2nd) and am now 6th in the championship with them in October 2006. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

obviously.

Walsall V Oldham

Final Score 1-1

A bore 1-1 draw was fought out this afternoon by these two mediocre teams hovering around mid table of League 1.

Walsall manager Charlie Domino commented that he still has not found the perfect team and that he is still learning the ropes in his Saddlers Career. We've played a dozen games and the league position of 16th is not ideal and obviously not what I was hoping for, however we have picked up valuable points over the last couple of games and we will aim to build on this. We have a number of key injuries to the squad but the players that have been drafted in are playing well which always makes team selection interesting. It was good to see Jorge (Leitao) on the scoresheet and it was a pity we let in a silly goal so soon after we opened the scoring. However its a point more than what we originally had at least it wasn't a defeat"

When informed of the LDV trophy away draw against Leyton Orient Domino commented "Its a tricky tie going to a lower league team is always difficult and people will be expecting us to win and to win comfortably the pressure is on us but we have a couple of games to go before that match so our main focus must be the league football. Anything extra is a bonus"

Scott sacked by Hartlepool

League 1 side Martin Scott was today sensationally axed by Hartlepool. Hartlepool currently lie thick in the relegation zone of league 1 in 23rd place.

"We felt that it was in both the interests of the football club and Martin if he moved aside in order to try and improve the club's position in League 1."

Mark Hateley has been touted as a possible replacement.

Saddlers held back

Charlie Domino saw his Walsall side throw away a 2 goal lead this afternoon against Colchester. Jorge Leitao and Ben Burgess put the travelling side on their way to what looked like 3 points. However 2 late Colchester goals spoiled the mood within the Walsall fans.

Domino states "That's definitely 2 points dropped this afternoon. We looked so comfortable the team just fell apart in the last 20 minutes. I thought we started lively and when the two goals went in I was pleased. Its unfortunate its happened we can't change it. But I felt that the 3 points should be coming home with us. Its another draw and we need wins."

Hateley appointed Pool boss

Hartlepool today confirmed the appointment of Mark Hateley as their new manager. The fans will be hoping that he settles into his new role quickly as they travel to conference side Morecambe in the LDV trophy tonight.

Meanwhile Domino's Walsall face Leyton Orient.

Walsall crash out of Cup

Walsall's hopes of progressing to the 2nd round of the LDV cup were dashed at lowly Leyton Orient.

Walsall were unable to break down a 10 men Orient team in extra time and bowed out cruely on penalties.

Charlie Domino refused to talk to the press after the game whilst Assistant Manager Paul Merson comments "Charlie and the lads are obviously disappointed. We should have won this game in normal time, and to lose to a lower team is not acceptable. I am sure that Charlie will have some harsh words to say in the dressing room and on the coach on the way home. I think the lads need some work on the spot kicks as well."

Following the midweek surprise cup exit against Leyton Orient Charlie Domino takes his team to Scunthorpe hoping to repair some of the damaged confidence.

Scunthorpe 1 Walsall 2

Charlie Domino breaths a sigh of relief as Walsall pick up 3 points against Scunthorpe. A free kick from Assistant Manager Paul Merson and a debut goal for youngster Lee Collymore stole the show. Scunthorpe score a late consolation goal but the 3 points are earned from the Bescot Boys.

"It was scrappy but 100% better than midweek. I just wanted a win to get that embarassing loss out the system. I thought the lads battled for every ball and its pleasing for young Lee to get a goal on his debut. He was surprised at his call out late last night and I told him to go out today and enjoy himself, I could see from his celebrations that he certainly did.

Lets hope that this is the start of something and we can take this performance with us to our next game."

Walsall unable to sting the Bees

Walsall 0 Brentford 0

A bore 0-0 draw was played out this afternoon at the Bescot as Walsall were unable to break down the defence of lowly Brentford.

Domino deciding to stick with the same squad that had defeated Scunthorpe lacked passion coming forward and youngster Collymore showed his lack of experience when blitzing high over the bar when a simple tap in would have easily sealed victory.

Brentford looked comfortable coming forward but also lacked strike power and Oakes had a faultless display in between the Saddlers sticks.

The result sees Walsall extend their unbeaten League run to 5 games but fans will be expecting the recent draws to turn into 3 point wins. Matty Fryatt and Daniel Fox return following injury and the fans are waiting to see if Domino changes the team ready for the visit of Swansea.

Walsall 0 Swansea 1

Charlie Domino will be dissapointed with this result as his Walsall team dominated from start to finish. To make matters worse for Domino Will Haining was sent off on 35 minutes and Craig Pead failed to convert the resulting penalty. The Swansea goal came on the 59 minutes.

The only consolation for the Saddlers was that youngster Kris Taylor was awarded the man of the match award.

FA CUP 1ST ROUND

Walsall V Altrincham

Matty Fryatt scores on 6 minutes with Walsall extending their lead on 20 minutes with a well placed free kick from assistant manager Paul Merson. Lee Collymore puts the tie beyond the visitors grasps on 30 minutes to make it 3-0. Altrincham's woe's continue when Kirk Hilton is sent off late in the first half.

Walsll continute to push forward in the second half and force Altrincham into a number of unforced errors. Errors that proved costly to Scott Willis as he is given his marching orders on 57 minutes.

Lee Collymore nets a hatrick with Altrincham reduced to 9 men.

Manager Charlie Domino is pleased with the result and tells a local radio station "Playing non league opposition is not always the easiest thing to do. The sending off's helped us but we were on top throughout the whole of the game. They played aggresively and had 11 yellow cards compared to our 1. No disrespect to Altrincham but the game turned into a shooting practice.

Shocks in the first round include.......Conference North Side defeating League 2 Lincoln City. Conference strugglers Forest Green score 3 against League 2 Rushden who fail to break down their league opposition.

Larrosa injured in reserve game

Walsall reserve striker Ruben Dario Larrosa who has hit some kind of form lately landed funny in a reserve game against Oldham. It is believed that Larrosa has broke his arm which will keep him out of action for a minimum period of 4 weeks.

The news is a major blow for the player who is on the transfer list at Bescot and is actively seeking a move away from the club.

Monday 7th November 2005

Walsall are handed a tricky 2nd round tie in the FA Cup when they face league 1 rivals Huddersfield at the Bescot Stadium. Huddersfield will hold the advantage having already beaten the Saddlers earlier this season.

The draw also ensures that the Conference North will be represented in the 3rd round with Northwich and Kettering having to play one another. Other non league teams who will proceed to the next game includes one of Woking, Leigh RMI or Harrogate Town. Hereford also play Tamworth.

Monday 14th November 2005

I call Kris Taylor into the office.

"Kris, just thought I would let you know that Notts County have made an approach for a 3 month loan deal. I have declined the offer as I think that you have great potential here and have played exceptionally well in the last couple of games. I trust you are ok with the decision."

"Yeah boss, I'm happy at the Bescot at present, as long as I continue to figure in the first team. Things may have been different if I was in the reserves."

Well Kris its up to you, if you keep playing like you have been then you will continue to be in the starting line up"

Saturday 19th November 2005

Blackpool v Walsall

The trip up the M6 seems to drag, the Board had decided that they would treat the players to overnight stay in Blackpool with partners and children.

Why the board chose Blackpool I will never know, the lights, the fair, the golden mile, donkeys on the beach, who knows. All I know is that we face a difficult match at Bloomfield Road and then its hitting the bars after.

We took over 1500 fans, the fans of Walsall love Blackpool and there was more coaches put on than normal. It's a shame we couldn't have this much support at every away game.

Although there was only 6,500 people in the ground the atmosphere was great. It sounded like there was 20,000.

The game was a boring affair and John Ward's side had ample opportunities to snatch all 3 points.

Ward commented after the game "I thought we'd just edged it but at least we've a point. The pitch wasn't great but we stuck at it and worked hard"

Walsall boss Domino said "I feel sorry for Blackpool players and fans for having to put up with that pitch, I felt that we were second best throughout the whole of the game, and we are lucky to come away with a point. They should have won it, and battled hard and were the first to every ball, we were still in the starting blocks some of the time"

Burgess returns to Hull

Charlie Domino has failed to keep striker Ben Burgess at the Bescot following his recent loan deal. Hull were keen for the youngster to stay at Walsall but it is rumoured that the player was dissapointed with his limited starts and felt that a move elsewhere may prove to be more successful.

Burgess who netted 2 goals in 11 appearances has decided to stay at Hull and battle for a first team place.

Walsall 2 Bradford City 2

A Matty Fratt goal earned Walsall a point against high flying Bradford.

It was the visitors who raced into an early lead with Cadamarteri netting on 5 minutes. Walsall fell further behind with Windass addid Bradford's second.

The home fans saw a glimmer of hope when young striker Lee Collymore netted his 5th goal of the season to pull the score back to 2-1.

With the clock ticking away fast a 68th minute Fryatt goal was enough for the Saddlers to finish the game with a point.

"Bradford are flying high and are playing exceptionally well football, our performance was not the best again but we leave with something. I suppose the result was a good effort considering we were 2-0 down so early on" Domino comments after the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Walsall 0 Huddersfield 3 (FA Cup 2nd Round)

Walsall crash out of the FA Cup at the 2nd hurdle after being brushed aside by League 1 rivals Huddersfield.

The Saddlers never got out of the starting blocks and fell behind early on, searching for an equaliser the Terriers scored on the break and a well placed free kick finished the demolition.

Kris Taylor bruises his ribs and will be doubtful for the next match.

Charlie Domino talks to the press after the match "to go out of the cup before the big guns enter is a blow, lower league opposition always hope to draw one of the bigger clubs, that opportunity has been taken away from us and our name is not in the hat for round 3"

Yeovil 1 Walsall 1 6th December 2005

Pablo Bastianini netted for the home side after 8 minutes, Walsall continued to press forward and their equaliser surprisingly came from 20 year old Charlton Davies who netted on his first team debut.

"We didn't play the best forward but we had a number of key players missing. We need to ensure that we concentrate the whole 90 minutes. I am pleased for Charlton who had a decent debut. I didn't tell the kid he was featuring in the team till late Friday, and the goal would have done his confidence good."

Walsall 0 Rotherham 3

Walsall boss Charlie Domino's injury worries continues and the Saddlers boss has had to put 18 year old Rene Gilmartin goal following the training injury to Andy Oaks. Charlton Davies retains his place in the starting line up.

Walsall's injury problems continue during the first half with knocks to Osborn, Fryatt and Merson. The forced substitutions did nothing for the Saddlers and Rotherham net 3 simple easy goals.

"It wasn't ideal to place Rene in goal but we had no choice now that's no discredit to the lad but its tough. We were awful in all departments and everybody associated with the club needs to take this result on the chin. I had to change tactics due to injuries and had to play 5 at the back, it backfired and all of the team should take some responsibility for this result not just me"

Saturday 17th December 2005

@ The Priestfields V Gillingham

Possession was equally shared this afternooon but it was the home side that collected the 3 points.

Goals from Steve Hislop and ex-saddler Darren Byfield the difference in the two sides.

Walsall collect 3 yellow cards in this defeat (Gerrard, Merson and Standing).

Charlie Domino refuses to comment after the game as Walsall's bad run goes from bad to worse.

Monday 26th December 2005

Home V Bournemouth

Charlie Domino drafts new loan signing Rob Elvins into the starting line up. Elvins linking up from West Brom. However Elvins is not given enough time to impress as his debut is cut short after 51 minutes as a clash of heads force him off the field and out of the game.

Bournemouth's Steve Fletcher nets the only goal of the game on 42 minutes and Walsall have now gone 3 games without scoring.

The result also see's Walsall slip into the relegation zone.

Domino states "We are going through a really tough patch at the moment, we are getting the shots in, but not on target. We are unlucky to leave today with nothing. We must be due to give somebody a good thrashing so lets hope this is sooner rather than later"

Archived