The Board want Promotion and nothing else, why can't you deliver?

Super Saddler

28th December 2005

Home V Southend

3 yellow cards are dished out in the first half for Walsall and Osborn picks up a knock as the score remains 0-0 after 45 minutes.

Domino brings on Paul Smith to replace Osborn.

SECOND HALF

A beautiful cross from Kris Taylor is met by the foot of Matty Fryatt who nets his 10th goal of the season.

Chris Westwood has arguably been the best player for the Saddlers this season, but a poor back pass stuns Luke Tilt the young Walsall goalie as Westwood's own goal makes it 1-1.

Westwood soon makes amends when a well placed pass through the middle of the Southend midfield finds Lee Collymore who comfortably scores.

Referee Mark Cooper continues to show the yellow cards and books Julian Bennett for the second time on 90 minues to make it a tense ending for the Saddlers.

Final Score Walsall 2 Southend 1

"It wasn't a good performance but we got the 3 points. The referee must have had spare cards left after Christmas as it looked like he gave everybody on the park one. I am pleased with about 75% of the work done this afternoon, obviously we are still in the relegation battle but at least we move out of the relegation zone. We need to continue to pick up points and move up the table. I have met with the Board who like me are disappointed. They had hoped to gain promotion but we find ourselves at the wrong end of the table. If things do not pick up quickly then they may start to look for another boss and who can blame them. I was brought here to do a job and I haven't delivered what was expected of me."

Jeff Bonser confirms that the Walsall board are not happy but allow Domino to manage the club. The fans still question the appointment of Domino but feel that he is managing with the resources that he has been given.

One fan comments "How do you get a team promoted when the board don't throw money at the team. Charlie is working with a tight budget and will have to do some wheeling and dealing if the club wants to go somewhere"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Transfer Rumours at the Bescot

Charlie Domino confirms that there has been interest from a number of Championship sides for the services of Kris Taylor.

Cardiff are interested in the player and are rumoured to have offered £15,000 and a defender possibly veteran Neil Cox.

Wolves have supposedly offered £30,000 and QPR have tabled a player swop deal involving Jake Cole.

The QPR bid has been thrown out with Domino commenting that the player involved does not meet the Saddler's requirements and has no first team experience.

ATIENO RETURNS FROM LOAN SPELL

I call Taiwo into the office following his loan spell at local Conference side Kidderminster. "So how was it mate?" I enquired.

"Well, I thought it wasn't worth while boss"

Not the response I was looking for, I had released the player in a bid for him to gain much needed first team experience. "Why Not?" I question.

"I dunno, would have preferred to stay here I suppose. I was getting first team experience and scoring goals but I would have preferred to be at Walsall"

"Well Taiwo, you did well there, I mean you scored 5 goals in 14 starts that's not bad going for a youngster, you can't expect to walk straight into the side."

"I know boss, I love football so much I want to do my best and my heart is at Walsall, they are the team that have gave me the opportunity and I want to repay them" He replies

"Well, play well and you never know"

Taiwo helped Kidderminster to 2nd in the Conference, and I wonder whether the player has a future at this club. He is dedicated to the Saddlers and would be gutted if he didn't. That would be devasting news for the boy and not a job that I would enjoy doing.

GERRARD ENQUIRY

Walsall Manager Charlie Domino confirmed that Sunderland have enquired about Anthony Gerrard.

Walsall have informed Sunderland of a realistic figure and await further contact.

BENNETT LEAVES FOR SCOTLAND

Julian Bennett leaves Bescot after 5 years to take his football career to Scotland with Motherwell. Bennett made over 40 appearances for Walsall since signing porfessional terms. "I would like to thank everybody at Walsall, it was an enjoyable time, but I couldn't take this opportunity. Motherwell are a good side and I hope that I can do well for them. Walsall will always have a soft spot in my heart and I wish them well."

Huddersfield 2 Walsall 1

Andy Oaks, Chris Westwood and Kris Taylor were unable to feature in this game due to injuries. Paul Merson was in need of a rest. Domino results in bringing Roper and Daryl Taylor from the reserves straight into the starting 11.

Huddersfield settle into their stride the quickest and take the lead early on. Matty Fryatt continues to find the net for the Saddlers and had looked to rescue them a point. However Huddersfield catch the visitors half asleep to pitch all three points.

Surprisingly Daryl Taylor is named man of the match and Charlie Domino must wonder why he kept the youngster in the reserves for so long. It poses a somewhat selection headache when Kris Taylor returns.

The transfer speculation surrounding Kris Taylor seems to have died down as Charlie Domino is doing his utmost to try and keep the youngster at the club. It is rumoured that a bid of £250,000 had been turned down from Scottish Premiership side Hibs.

HORSTED LINKS UP WITH SADDLERS

Charlie Domino has brought in left midfielder/striker Liam Horsted in from Portsmouth in what is rumoured to be a £350,000 transfer.

Fans are quite alarmed at the amount of the transfer and will be wondering what the player will bring.

Meanwhile Southport loan Taiwo Atieno.

MAPEZA JOINS SADDLERS

Charlie Domino revealed his new player this morning. Norman Mapeza links up with the Saddlers. Mapeza a Zimbabwe international signs a 1 year contract and will hopefully add some depth to the Walsall squad.

Domino is excited about the player who he has followed for some time. "He will do well, I am sure that he will settle very quickly into the team and the lads will make him feel welcome."

DOMINO BRINGS IN ANOTHER NEW FACE

Walsall manager Charlie Domino has brought in former England U21 Lee Morris to the club from Leicester City for a figure to be in the region of £5,000.

"We are nearly there, these new faces will motivate the players currently in the club, nobody's position is safe everybody knows that even mine. We need to improve and with the right set of lads we will do that."

Walsall 0 Hartlepool 2

Domino ensures that his three new signing's go straight into the first team squad.

Joel Parker puts the visitors 1-0 up after 11 minutes and theres no way through the Pool defence for the Saddlers forwards.

Lee Morris is brought on to replace Lee Collymore in a bid to pull the goal back.

Luke Tilt who is enjoying his run in the Walsall goal gifts Hartlepool all three points when he drops an easy catch. Adam Boyd was first to the ball and the ball hits the back of the net to make the final score. Walsall 0 Hartlepool 2.

"We made several silly mistakes and gifted the game to Hartlepool. Luke will be disappointed with his mistake but he is still learning his trade."

The local media are keen to investigate whether any more new faces will be arriving at the Bescot Stadium. Domino is vague in his reponse but adds "Who knows, bids have been tabled I would be lying if I didn't tell you that. We don't know yet whether they have been successful so I don't want to get anybody's hopes up. We have brought in 3 new players, that was always going to be my aim, if the money stretches to anymore and they accept then so be it, all I can say is watch this space."

MAPEZA INSTANT HERO

Norman Mapeza makes an immediate impact with Walsall as he nets two goals on his debut.

The first goal was a well placed penalty easily beating the Bristol City goalie and the second goal was a well crafted shot that slides into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Stewart and Brooker got Bristol City's goals.

Charlie Domino was pleased with the overall performance "This might be the turning point. Normal was magnificent, but the other lads played well as well. We have shown that we are not a walk over. Bristol are vying for a promotion place so they will be disappointed. Its another point on the board and that's what we need. A few players will be looking to get back in the team next week so there maybe changes but the lads that have played today have made that choice difficult for me"

Walsall 2 Barnsley 2

Hayes rescues Barnsley

Barnsley striker Paul Hayes scores in the final minute to rescue a point for Barnsley and send Walsall to their lowest position in the league.

It was a thrilling game of football at Bescot Stadium and Charlie Domino will be disappointed that his side threw away the 3 points.

Matty Fryatt fired the Saddlers into the lead on 24 minutes, but it was bad luck for Nick Colgan in the Barnsley goal who had saved the initial shot.

Fryatt extended the lead 7 minutes later with a well placed header into Colgan's left side of the net.

Barnsley's comeback started on the 43 minutes with Hayes netting an easily tap in. Things were made easier for Barnsley when Chris Westwood was given the opportunity to take an early bath in the 80th minute. Hayes ensured Barnsley left with a point scoring on 90 minutes.

The defeat sees Walsall slip to 22nd in the League and the fans are wondering if Charlie Domino can save them from the drop.

MK Dons 0 Walsall 1

A 18 minute Craig Pead goal lifts relegation threatened Walsall out of the drop zone.

Pead headed home from close range to pick up the 3 points for the Saddlers against relegation rivals MK Dons.

Charlie Domino is pleased with the performance and hopes that the team will be able to build on this when Chesterfield visit the Bescot. Chesterfield are also involved in the relegation fight and currently lie in 23rd.

"To pick up 3 points away from home at the moment is wonderful, it was important that we won today, to get ourselves back on track with the other teams who are struggling around us. Saturday is another important game and we need nothing less than the 3 points. The lads don't have to be told how important it is. If we don't win then we are involved in a real dog fight. The only saving grace at the moment is our goal difference, but that's not good enough"

Fraytt on goal rout

Walsall maintain their unbeaten record which now stretches to 4 league games. All connected at Walsall are pleased with the recent performances that have seen the Saddlers move up to 18th in the league.

Lee Collymore opened the scoring on 44 minutes then a marvellous hatrick from Matty Fratt secured the rout. Fryatt's goals coming on 58, 65, 77,

Fryatt is attracting interest from a host of premiership clubs which include Wigan, Charlton, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa. Charlie Domino will struggle to keep hold of the young striker who has neeted 14 league goals in 25 appearances. The 19 year old will certainly be looking at a career in a higher division rather than a season of struggle with the Bescot Boys.

Gerrard scoops award - 1sr Feb 2006

The local press gather inside the ground as Anthony Gerrard is presented with player of the month award for January.

Manager Charlie Domino has plenty to smile about as he presents the award to the 19 year old defender.

"Anthony is a pleasure to work with, he is hard working and always delivers. He has turned out to be a bargain buy from Everton and he has a great future within the game." comments Domino

Matty Fryatt also earns runner up for young player of the month.

4th February 2006

Tranmere V Walsall

A goal from Murray and an own goal from Anthony Gerrard handed Tranmere a hard earned 2-1 victory for Tranmere against Walsall.

Walsall's survival hopes took a real dent with this first defeat in 5 league games as they were looking to move further away from the drop zone.

Murray opened the soring on 11 minutes and Gerrard puts through his own net on 38 minutes.

There was no way through for the Walsall strikers but managed a very late consolation goal when a brillant run from Standing finds the net on 84 minutes.

Transfer Speculation @ Bescot

The press gather outside the Walsall training ground as speculation increases on th future on Matty Fryatt's Walsall future.

Fraytt was questioned about his Walsall future and the youngster was upfront that he would have to move to a bigger club if he is to fulfil his potential as a player. The 19 year old is clearly ambitious an feels progressing to a bigger stage is the only way that he might achieve these goals.

This is a big blow to the Saddlers boss Charlie Domino who responded that "Fryatt will not be leaving to go anywhere Walsall need to keep hold of their good players to get Walsall to where should they be"

The news will obviously upset the Walsall striker who has his heart set on a move out of League 1.

Walsall 0 Swindon 0

Walsall and Swindon battle out a gaoless stalemate at Bescot this afternoon.

The point moves Swindon out of the drop zone and leaves Walsall tightly involved in the relegation dog fight.

Most of the first half pressure belonged to Walsall with Matty Fryatt a livewire pressence in attack.

Both bosses agreed that a point was a fair result. Home boss Domino was satisfied despite his team's long periods of pressure.

"I can't fault the players efforts. " he said. "We had alot of the ball and created lots of chances, won most of the midfield battles and caused them a few problems.

Walsall stare relegation in face

Oldham 2 Walsall 0

Walsall drop back into the relegation zone following a 2-0 loss against Oldham. 2 goals from Andy Liddell ensure the points stay in Oldham. Liddel capitalised on a Michael Standing error on 20 minutes and then pounded on a deflected shot on 70minutes to notch his 10th goal of season.

Charlie Domino slammed the Walsall performance as unacceptable and refused to comment in any further detail.

Doncaster 3 Walsall 2

Walsall travel to promotion chasing Doncaster and put a real show on, unfortunately leaving with nothing.

A last minute goal for the home side was enough for all 3 points and leaves Charlie Domino's Walsall wondering what might have been.

Michael Standing opens the scoring for the Bescot Boys on 13 minutes, a goal which was to be cancelled out by a disputed penalty.

Jorge Leitao makign a rare start for the Saddlers makes it 2-1. Donacaster's revival starts in the second half and a goal's in the 60th and 90th minutes secure the points.

Walsall are now 4 points from safety and face an uphill battle if they are to rescue themselves.

Walsall face relegation rivals Port Vale in what must be classed as a must win game for both teams.

Charlie Domino appears anxious at the training ground and there has never been such an important game in his time at Bescot. Could a loss result in his P45 or are the Board going to stick with him through thick or thin.

• 3 weeks later...

Walsall 0 Port Vale 2

A relegation battle that sees the league 1 bottom side leave Bescot with the full 3 points.

Walsall slp closer to the relegation zone after this dismal performance that leaves Charlie Domino pondering over his future with Walsall.

Port Vale plunged them into further trouble with 2 goals either side of the half.

Manager Charlie Domino says that "We can still get out of trouble despite this set back. I thought we played poorly though and we will have to improve there is no doubt about that. Port Vale manager Martin Foyle was pleased with the result "At this time in the season it is important to start picking up points and we've picked up a valuable 3 today. We know we can perform and this just proves it."

Walsall 1 Colchester 1

Walsall were forced to work hard for a point in a 1-1 draw with top seven chasers Colchester.

Colchester looked the better team throughout the game but found themselves behind to a Matty Fryatt 14 minute goal.

Iwelumo scored on 76 minutes to level the scoring.

Walsall manager Domino comments "We have picked up a valuable point against a good League 1 team. A win would relieve everyone here. It's getting tight at the bottom and the quicker we get a win the better.

Swansea 1 Walsall 0

Swansea make important ground on the playoff places whilst Walsall fall deeper into the relegation dog fight.

A solitary 32 minute goal from Swansea striker Akinfenwa proved the difference.

Walsall manager apologied to his team's fans after their trip to South Wales. "There were a number of fans getting wet watching a poor performance and I can only apologise for that. We can't afford any more games like this. We never showed any deermination and the team is obviously lacking confidence we must turn the corner quickly."

Walsall 1 Scunthorpe 3

Charlie Domino's Walsall are now staring relegation in the face. Walsall's form over the last couple of weeks has been unbearable to watch, which has resulted in Walsall only attracting 4,500 to this afternoon's game.

Ross Gardner opened the scoring for the visitors on 8 minutes. Walsall equalised midway through the second half only for Gardner to add a second and Sharp to finish the scoring.

Domino "I understand people's concerns we are all worried I just don't know what is happening, I've tried different things but they are not working yet. We will turn the corner soon I promise you that but lets hope it is next week. We really need 3 points. It was quiet at the ground and we need the fans to get behind us and not stay away."

Walsall 1 Blackpool 0

Walsall finally pick up 3 points against 9 men Blackpool at Bescot this afternoon. Mark Wright scoring the goal that seperated the 2 sides on 55 minutes. Blackpool were reduced to 9 men following the sending off's of McCready and Bruce (69 mins & 90 mins).

Walsall should have won by a bigger margin but Charlie Domino could not hide his relief following the victory punching the air after the sound of the final whistle.

"There is still plenty of time to get out of trouble we are in the bottom 4 and the way that we have played today should show the players that they are capable of moving out the relegation zone. We need to build on this result and pick up points over the last couple of games. Theres still plenty of teams in trouble so there is still hope. I was pleased that there were more fans today they showed their support throughout the 90 minutes we need to repay those fans by producing it over the last few games."

Domino in shock exit

Charlie Domino today sensationally quit his managerial position at Walsall Football Club. Jeff Bonser was left to break the news to the gathering supporters and press who had heard rumours throughout the morning.

"I can confirm that Charlie Domino has left the club. This decision is his own decision and I must point out that the Board did not play any part in this. The Club will move forward quickly and will appoint a manager who is capable of saving Walsall Football club. Charlie thought it was the best interest of all parties concerned for him to resign and for a new person to take over the helms. Charlie has not been approached by any other club and Walsall wish him luck in what ever he chooses to do next."

The shock resignation sees Dundee player manager Alan Kernaghan, Alan Ball, Dave Watson and Ritchie Barker as the front runners. Walsall will not be forced to make a quick decision despite their lowly league position.

The end of the season approaches and nobody has approached me to be their next manager. I have managed to get a job as a steward in local working man's pub and have agreed to manage my nephews U12's team whilst their current manager works away. Football is my life and I can't do without it. It's refreshing wathcing the young kids kicking a ball about, don't think any of them will make the next Beckham or Rooney though but it's so good to see how the game develops from such an early age.

One of the fathers comes up to me "Charlie you have changed the lads game and I can already see improvement in Harry he enjoys training and can't wait till Sunday's games. It's so nice that you have given the time to the kids."

"It's ok mate, I wanted to keep my hand in and there's nothing like watching kids play football, to be honest I don't know how long I will be around though, I must start to apply for managerial jobs or I'll be left behind and a forgotten man. There's only 1 job at the moment being advertised and that's Thurrock in the Conference South, I don't fancy dropping that far down the leagues but I hear they have a good chance of promotion to the Conference if they win the play off final, that's my ideal opportunity to move."

"That's interesting but Thurrock where the hell is that?"

"Good question I had to look as well. There in Essex changed their name from Purfleet, have a reasonable set of lads I just wish it was nearer to home, but I suppose a move will do me good. I've got to apply and get the job first."

"We wish you well Charlie"

I'm busy working behind the bar when the phone rings. "Hello"

"Can I speak to Charlie Domino please?"

"Speaking, can I help you?"

"It's Grant Beglan chairman of Thurrock Football Club, we have your application and was wondering if you would come to the ground on Tuesday for an interview. We are impressed with your application and we will be interviewing the shortlisted blokes on Tuesday, can you make it?"

"What time?"

"Can we say 2.00pm, your be the last one, look forward to seeing you then, Bye"

Ship Lane, Thurrock, Essex the location.

A 4,500 capacity stadium with a 300 seat's available not the sort of thing your used to seeing in League 1, but it's better than the local park watching the U12's.

I walk into the club house and an elderly gentleman greets me "Can I help you, Sir?"

"Yeah my name is Charlie Domino I have come to see Mr Beglan for a 2 o'clock meeting"

"ok, yes Grant did say he was expecting you, he's just over there I'll tell him your here, take a seat can I get you tea or coffee?"

"Ermmmmmm"

"Something stronger?"

"No, I'll have to resist the offer maybe after he's seen me, a weak tea no sugar will be fine"

I sit down in the club house not a massive place but nice enough it has that homely atmosphere which the bigger clubs lose. The cup of tea arrives and Mr Beglan makes his way over.

"Afternoon Charlie Grant Beglan chairman of Thurrock FC, you find us ok?"

"Yeah fine thanks, just a bit nervous, nice set up you have here"

"Thanks, do you want to come over, we only have a couple of questions to ask you, bring your cuppa and relax, we aint that bad"

Mr Beglan introduces me to a couple of guys sitting around a table, I don't retain names very easily just faces.

"Right then Charlie, welcome to Thurrock, as you know we have seen a couple of blokes today and we are looking to appoint a new person by tomorrow, we have a couple of questions that shouldn't be to difficult so we learn more about you and your styles and so on, then we can have a look around and take it from there, you ok with that?"

"Yeah sure... Do I know the other blokes"

"Don't think so there local people who manage around here"

"Ok, you'd better start asking them"

"Alright then, firstly what attracted you to Thurrock?"

"Football is my life, I can't live without it, when I left Walsall I pondered for a bit and I was lost, something was missing, I took up managing the local kids team, but it's not the same managing blokes"

"Yeah and why Thurrock?"

"To be honest it was the only job available at the time and I'm being upfront with you on that one, but having looked about and doing a bit of research, it looks a decent club with potential and I feel it can go somewhere."

"We hope so to" one of the other blokes chipped in.

"What could you bring to Thurrock?"

"I don't know what your used to, but I like to mould youngsters they are the bread and butter of football, give me the opportunity, train them up well and if they are good they will move and make you a bit of money. You need an experienced back bone to keep everybody motivated and to hold the team together. I am young energetic and raring to go. I'm honest trustworthy and a good listener"

"Got to ask this one why did you walk out on Walsall?

"I thought it was the best thing to do, everybody was not happy including myself, the board were always on my back moaning even when things were going right, they had to interfere with everything I did, now don't get me wrong I think everybody should have their say especially if they are involved with the club, but there is a way of doing it, you do it face to face not behind somebody's back. I like the Board to be involved its their club and they along with the manager, staff and players have to answer to the fans, if we don't all sing from the same hymn sheet then we have discontment in the club, its as simple as that. I had to leave Walsall, I love the club and I gave a new bloke the opportunity to turn the club around, unfortunately he couldn't save them but I'm sure things will turn out alright for them"

"What you you think your weaknesses are?"

"Thats a difficult one, I'd be lying if I said none. I ponder over team selection to much you should go with your gut feeling on things its 90% right, by pondering you make it harder for yourself. If you have a good assistant he will give you his point of view and that should make the job easier"

"Ok, we've got an idea I know it was only a couple of questions but it's pointless asking loads, let me show you around the ground, do you want a drink first?

"Yeah please what you got?"

"Alcoholic or soft drink?"

"Betta stick to the soft drink, I've got a drive home to complete"

After drinking my apple & mango J20 we walk around the ground, basic facilities to be honest, but Thurrock did not have money to throw away, everything they purchased they had to make sure it was in the best interest of the club. This club could not afford to take risks, the board had to weigh the benefits up against the initial expenditure outlay.

The pitch was in a reasonable condition and the changing room's could do with a lick of paint but overall the atmosphere was good. I mean it was different from Walsall.

"So what you reckon to the place?"

"It's nice different from what I'm used to but......compact, it's ok"

"So you still interested if we offer you the job?"

"Of course, theres no doubt about that, when you going to let the successful person know?"

"By tomorrow evening"

The drive from Essex to West Midlands was a pleasant one, the Cd player in the car belting out my favourite tunes. The volume turned up loud and the windows down with the fresh air circulating the car. The music was that loud I could not hear the phone. It wasn't until I got to the service station that I noticed that there were 2 missed calls. One of the calls from a unknown caller the other a voice mail. I dial 123 to retrieve the voice mail.

Charlie its Grant Beglan, can you phone me back as soon as you get this message please, my number is 0790 643211.

Funny that why is he phoning me a decision wasn't to be made until tomorrow, maybe I had left something at the ground. Anyway I call him back.

"Hi Grant, Charlie here, you wanted me?"

"Yeah Charlie, we want you"

"What for?"

"Charlie, we want you as the next manager of Thurrock, we were impressed with your interview and you have the most skills and experience, we could not offer you the position"

"Oh my god, that's great news, I didn't think I'd hear off you so soon"

"Well Charlie the other guys didn't have a CV like yours and we couldn't miss the opportunity of having you on board, will you accept?"

"Of course no doubt about that, when can I start"

"As soon as you can, we will arrange accommodation up here ready for you, the sooner the better to be honest"

"Ermmmm how about next Monday that gives me time to sort things out up here and for you to have my digs sorted"

"Monday it is look forward to it 10 o'clock outside the ground"

I join up with the Thurrock boys on Monday 17th May 2006. And it takes me just 9 days to make my first signing well two signing if I'm honest.

17 year old Josh Mulvaney and 17 year old Daniel Rowe are added to the ranks. Their is no transfer money so its up to me to wheel and deal will bringing the youngster's pay off?

Signing number 3 comes not long later when John O Keefe joins the club. Its another youngster and I get called into the Mr Beglan's office.

"Charlie do you know what your doing?"

"Yes why you ask?"

"Well we're a bit concerned you've rushed into these three signing's and they have no experience will they be ok"

"Are you questioning my ability already, I sign three players and your on my back, I thought you were going to let me get on with things"

"Well I said to the Board I would ask, we haven't got the money to waste, but you know that, I trust you"

"That's ok, as long as you do, I suggest you tell the other Board member's to sit tight, they may have had a good ride last year but I want to build on it and I'm not sitting quietly"

"Just watch what your doing Charlie, they don't like to much change"

The FA have today confirmed that Thurrock will be allowed the promotion to the Conference National following extensive work to the away end of the ground. No additional seating has been provided, however the Health & Safety people were unsure of the flooring, which has been replaced.

Charlie Domino has certainly landed on his feet, he walk's into a club and gets promotion without playing a game.

Wilson joins Thurrock

Charlie Domino has signed his first experienced player in Che Wilson. Wilson joins the newly promoted club following his release from Southend. Wilson must surely fancy his chances of going straight into the starting line up as one of the most experienced players in the Charlie Domino side.

Thurrock 2 Swansea 2

Pre Season Friendly

Charlie Domino's first game in charge at Thurrock ends in stalemate. Goals from new signing Lois Dodds and Jamie Windows was enough to keep the League 1 opponents at bay.

Domino looked on in the crowd of a mere 93 people. "I was disappointed with the support, the team has just been promoted we play a League 1 side and have a new manager and new signng's and the supporters still stay away. We have a number of friendlies at home so I hope to see this improve. It's not like we are playing away"

keep it up saddler, I was wondering are you playing this game as you write it? I find that to be the most interesting as the writer thereself doesnt know whats gonna happen next! And as you have stated about you give youth a chance you should give a little news on your reserves and youth and give progress on them and progress on the signing youve made! Anyway keep it up and I look forward to your reply and next posts! I love the way youve had to take step back very rare in a FM story!

Thanks for comments cruiseylee. Yes I am playing as I write its better that way and theres no way of predicting what happens next, its all a surprise and I like to keep on top of what's going on.

Thanks also for the advice will try and do some thing on the reserves front, could be interesting times ahead for Thurrock.

Our second pre season friendly sees the mighty Chelsea bring their reserve side to Ship Lane.

Included in their side was Geremi a Cameroon internation with 7 premiership appearances last season, Glen Johnson who spent most of his time on loan at Newcastle and Carlton Cole.

Now its not very often you can say that Chelsea will visit Thurrock so the attendance of 101 was pity disgraceful, what teams do you have to get here to get a decent gate?

Carlton Cole nets two goals in a 2-0 defeat but the scoreline doesn't reflext the fighting spirit the Thurrock lads showed. They are impressing me I just hope they keep up the good work.

Our Pre-Season Friendlies continue and we continue to lose. Defeats to Blackpool (4-0), Torquay (2-1), Arsenal Reserves (5-1), and Wycombe (2-0) ensure that we are winless in the build up to our new season at home.

In our last friendly we travel to Welsh side Welshpool and the few people in the crowd witnessed a Thurrock 3-0 vicotry.

Attendances continue to be a worry, I mean Dennis Berkamp played at Ship Lane and still we could not attract a decent crowd, maybe they are waiting for the new season? I hope so without the turnstile gate turning we could end up in a financial mess.

Conference National

12th August 2007

Accrington V Thurrock

Our first Conference National game, and the bookies make us an outside chance of 40-1, after this performance I would say that's not realistic try 4000-1.

A real trouching and a real embarrassment, I thought we might have a chance but a 4-0 defeat was not acceptable. None of the players played well and we were on the back foot from the start.

I just did not see this happening one game into the season and we already lie bottom of the table, we need to pick up points early on the season as that will dictate whether we are in for a struggle or promotion?? Later is more a joke my intention is to remain in this division, make a few pounds on the players brought then go for experience.

The board do not comment on the defeat and I thought that they would poke their nose in or comment told you so. I hate Boards who dictate I know I have their money but hey do they want success.

Conference National

15th August 2007

Thurrock V Chester

One of the Conference National Favourites Chester vist Thurrock, this will really test how much we have developed since I took over at the club. I had decided to place an advert for a coach to try and improve the staffing levels in a bid to get the best out the players currently at the club.

Chester are a well organised club and managed by Keith Curle a man with experience and a good knowledge of lower league football.

The game swung into Chester's favour in the 14th minute when Thurrock captain Che Wilson was sent off for a second yellow card. That was it the flood gates opened and Chester capitalised on the extra man advantage.

Three sloppy goals to Chester and Thurrock unable to respond penned into their own half for long periods of the match.

The league table after 2 games sees Thurrock rock bottom with Scarborough the only two teams in the division who have yet to pick up a point, and we have failed to find the net, is it strike power we are missing??

Conference National

19th August 2007

Crawley V Thurrock

Thurrock go into this third match looking for their first win and also to score their first goal following their promotion.

Charlie Domino has to swop things around at the back following the suspension of Che Wilson.

Some good attacking football sees Thurrock take a surprise lead, when Louis Dodds nets his first goal of the season and for the club on 53 minutes. However the lead did not last long when Crawley hot shot Clare nets 3 goals in 10 minutes. Dodds nets his second on 72 minutes until the scoring finished with a late Crawley goal to put the game to far from Thurrock's grasp.

Charlie Domino is convinced that this poor start will soon be turned away and he must be looking to obtain some points from his next clash at home against Lancaster. Failure to pick up points soon will definitely result in Thurrock being dragged into a season long of relegation battle.

Saturday 26th August

Thurrock V Lancaster

Thurrock had ended their goal drought so that was one mission accomplished, the next was to get a point on the draw. Charlie Domino thought that this was the game where it might have happened how wrong could he be.

Mackay and Hammond netting for the visitors within the first half an hour. The remainder of the game sees Thurrock trying desperately to rescue something but to no avail. Paul Burton did net a disputed penalty but the score Thurrock 1 Lancaster 2.

Thurrock are finding it difficult to come to terms with the higher level of football. Domino start to pick up points and fast.

Thurrock 0 Southport 1

Thurrock's bad run continues and they find themselves glued to the bottom of the Conference table.

Southport's Jay Murray netting the only goal of the game on 48 minutes.

The fans are starting to queston Charlie Domino's ability to guide the team to safety only time will tell and the time is running out. Points are not going to be easy to obtain for the Thurrock team.

Woking 3 Thurrock 1

Thurrock pick up 4 yellow cards, got whopped 3-1 and miss a penalty.

Woking were far better organised on the pitch and Thurrock were once again run ragged.

Charlie Domino is staring relegation in the face, they are favourites to go down and they look certain to be doomed.

The only consolation the team has at the moment is the fine form of striker Louis Dodds who nets occasionally.

Thurrock 1 Weymouth 1

Thurrock pick up a deserved point against Weymouth a Skip Lane this afternoon. Thurrock were on course to collect all 3 points when Louis Dodds nets a 3 minute goal, however a deflected shot on 76 minutes rescues a point for Weymouth.

Charlie Domino is apprarently pleased with this performance commenting to fans inside the club house that he feels that the team will be able to build on this performance and hopefully start to pick up points on a more frequent basis. As long as we pick things up at home I can see us surviving.

Archived