Dumb transfer funds question

This may be blisteringly obvious, but what happens to unused transfer funds at the end of the season? Do they evaporate, or do you get to stockpile them? For a while, I put them all into wage budget but I am not sure that even matters.

• SI Staff

You can stockpile to a certain extent so long as you remain under your wage budget (if you're over it then the board will often take some of the budget to cover the losses from wages) .... however there are limits to what they'll let you save up according to the size of club you're at.

Ive been burnt by this several times, so I spend as soon as I get it!!!! Nothing ruins a long term plan like stockpiling 50 million during the winter window, only to watch it dissapear and have the board give you 15m the next summer. IMO as long as you are under the wage budget, your saved transfer funds should not be touched at all. Otherwise, whats the point?

Would that happen in real life though? If a manager was allocated a budget and did not use it, why would the board allow him to save that money for next season and then give him more? Every organisation I've worked for has an annual budget and if you underspend, you don't get the same amount next year. No football club would let their manager stockpile millions of pounds.

So the very real life tactic of selling to buy does not apply unless you spend the second you acquire it? We arent talking about stockpiling for years, but beyond your current transfer window. So if I sell 20m worth of players in the winter window, a significant portion of that should be added to the summer budget. Otherwise you are basically creating a rule that you HAVE to spend your money or else lost it entirely.

• SI Staff

WayneRooneysHaircut - if you can give me two gave games (a before and after effectively) demonstrating the situation where you feel the game handles this wrongly then I'll happily look into it and improving it in future versions ..

Archived