how to play against Barca???

Just wondering how you guys approach playing Guardiola's Barca team. In second season with Liverpool and have Barca in the champions league group stage and need a win at home to get through and would love some tactical advice especially after I was destroyed in the Nou Camp:mad:.

Thanks in advance

I'd play rigid, contain 5-4-1. Deep d line, narrow width and very slow tempo with direct passing, then I'd cross my fingers and hope to keep the score down to single figures. (I'm managing Celtic btw, which is why I'd play this way). As Liverpool I'd probably try something like fluid counter, direct passing closing down often, slightly narrow slow tempo and deep d line in whatever formation suits your team.

Keeping Messi off his favoured left foot and pushing their wingers down the flanks, allowing them to cross seems to work for me. In four seasons with Inter Milan they've yet to score against me. I find them easy to stifle. Madrid are a different proposition though.

I am going to disagree with the posters above who advocate a very defensive approach, and suggest an attacking one. I beat Barca 3-2 at the Nou Camp using this tactic: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/300872-Being-Bielsa-but-a-bit-less-loco-%28hopefully%29!

To me sitting back and playing with lots of defenders and sitting deep is just inviting Barca to play exactly how they want as they will easily dominate possession and be able to create chances. Sitting back will also not put pressure on their excellent players who will use the time you give them to great effect.

Roma 3 Barca 1

Roma 3 Barca 1

Roma 2 Barca 1

Roma 3 Barca 0

how i do it:

- counter/fluid/disclipilned

- deep defensive line, slow tempo, narrow width, lots of pressing, direct passing, focus passing down the sides

- 4-5-1 formation with wingbacks/att, anchorman, 2 box2box, 2 insideforwards and 1 DLF/supp

- set both wingbacks to attacking, toggle "Look for Overlap", set your playmaker to either one of your fullbacks. don't use a targetman

- play a centerback as an anchor man EVEN if he's out of position (below, Bovo is red as a DM). have your anchor man PLAYER MARK whoever is at AMC, whether it's Iniesta/Messi/Cesc or other. don't need to player mark anyone else

in all 4 games, barca completed A LOT more passes than me. but possession isn't that simple. you gotta have possession in the right places to win. Barcelona don't play with any wingers, therefore they have no one to close down my fullbacks/wingbacks, which is why i have them as my playmaker during these games

RomavBarcelonaPreview_LineUps-2123-1.png

this not only works against Barca, but against any other "strong" team that plays a narrow 4-1-2-1-2

Roma 3 Barca 1

Roma 3 Barca 1

Roma 2 Barca 1

Roma 3 Barca 0

how i do it:

- counter/fluid/disclipilned

- deep defensive line, slow tempo, narrow width, lots of pressing, direct passing, focus passing down the sides

- 4-5-1 formation with wingbacks/att, anchorman, 2 box2box, 2 insideforwards and 1 DLF/supp

- set both wingbacks to attacking, toggle "Look for Overlap", set your playmaker to either one of your fullbacks. don't use a targetman

- play a centerback as an anchor man EVEN if he's out of position (below, Bovo is red as a DM). have your anchor man PLAYER MARK whoever is at AMC, whether it's Iniesta/Messi/Cesc or other. don't need to player mark anyone else

in all 4 games, barca completed A LOT more passes than me. but possession isn't that simple. you gotta have possession in the right places to win. Barcelona don't play with any wingers, therefore they have no one to close down my fullbacks/wingbacks, which is why i have them as my playmaker during these games

RomavBarcelonaPreview_LineUps-2123-1.png

this not only works against Barca, but against any other "strong" team that plays a narrow 4-1-2-1-2

Does this tactic work well against 451 also or just against 433?

Does this tactic work well against 451 also or just against 433?

Looks like it would only work with teams playing down the middle. Any wingers will probably catch your wing backs out of position.

I usually play attacking football against barcelona, focusing down the wings.

Looks like it would only work with teams playing down the middle. Any wingers will probably catch your wing backs out of position.

I usually play attacking football against barcelona, focusing down the wings.

It depends...if wingers in position AML/AMR are with atacking mentality than they wont track back all the flank leaving huge gap that can be exploited by fullbacks.

Thanks for all the advice guys finally got around to playing against the yesterday and got a 3-2 win. May have been helped by messi being injured. I started off using a 541 formation but I clearly set it up badly and was down 1-0 after 10 mins. changed it to a counter 451 and hit exploit flanks and it worked out very well for me.Sadly I was Knocked out in the semis then by Man city who also beat me in both the carling and fa cup finals! Hate Mancini! If any wants to lend me a small bit more advice on how to beat his 4-2-3(all centre att midfielders)-1 Ill be eternally greatful:)

i have never played against Man City in FM before... i will play against them soon though sometime next week

i'll make a thread if i do something tactically extraordinary lol. i'm still 10 or so fixtures away so i haven't really put much thought into it yet. one can never predict injuries or player forum

i'm playing as Roma, and i'll be facing Man City in the 2014 CL final

when i was everton in FM11, i use sheer force to beat arsenal

i used rodwell/vukojevic/fellaini in midfield and had them tackle the **** out of arsenal. not pretty but it's still a valid tactic

then i have my team pump long balls to cahill my lone striker, with baines (AML) and coleman (AMR) playing off them

I have always found Barca pretty easy to beat on FM compared to the top English teams. Play with a back 4 with the FBs supporting and then a DMC/Anchor man infront of them and then a BWM and DLP in centre mid. Infront of them have two wingers and a poacher. Play on the counter with the team playing wide to exploit their attacking FBs. You should be able to beat them comfortably at home and stay within a goal away from home.

Thanks for all the advice guys finally got around to playing against the yesterday and got a 3-2 win. May have been helped by messi being injured. I started off using a 541 formation but I clearly set it up badly and was down 1-0 after 10 mins. changed it to a counter 451 and hit exploit flanks and it worked out very well for me.Sadly I was Knocked out in the semis then by Man city who also beat me in both the carling and fa cup finals! Hate Mancini! If any wants to lend me a small bit more advice on how to beat his 4-2-3(all centre att midfielders)-1 Ill be eternally greatful:)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/300661-How-Do-I-Beat-Them-A-Guide-to-Match-Preparation

My thread covering the 4-2-3-1 :) also covers the flat 4-5-1 and if anyone else would like to add anything in would be very grateful :D

EDIT: If you have any questions comment in that thread and ill get back to you :)

Archived