wide players roaming.

my tactic is 4-2-3-1 with aml/r both set to cut-inside.what affect will roaming have on their positions?If i have roaming set to off does this mean that my wide players will wait until they receive the ball until they cut-inside,and with roaming set to yes does this the mean that my wide players will already be drifting insidebefore they have received

I also play with 2 central midfielders who have good quality at passing the ball,would it be beneficial to have my wide players roaming so as to make them available for a pass?

You're pretty much correct, without a free role they will generally wait to cut inside once they have received the ball. With a free role they'll move pretty much ANYWHERE when you have possession (in reality they won't move all that far from their formational position) but this will encourage them inside as they can't move outside much (depending on your width setting). It's not particularly predictable though and depends upon how strong mentally the player is, intelligent players are more adept at finding space.

I use a 41221 (so the opposite of you) but have roaming on all 3 attackers and it works brilliantly. Without the AM though I naturally have more space for them to operate in centrally so you might have to adapt what you do (you might want one staying wider for example).

your post is correct

when I tried this formation with PSG I thought roaming for all 3 attacking midfielders worked brilliantly...don't think of it as "drifting inside" because that makes you think they're jogging slowly...with roaming you'll see a great team move finished off with an 18 yard shot from inside the d by one of your wingers...or your AMC will pick up the ball on the wing at the half-way line, cut inside 2 defenders and curl a great shot round the keeper...roaming makes your players run sideways and makes them tough to mark basically

You're pretty much correct, without a free role they will generally wait to cut inside once they have received the ball. With a free role they'll move pretty much ANYWHERE when you have possession (in reality they won't move all that far from their formational position) but this will encourage them inside as they can't move outside much (depending on your width setting). It's not particularly predictable though and depends upon how strong mentally the player is, intelligent players are more adept at finding space.

I use a 41221 (so the opposite of you) but have roaming on all 3 attackers and it works brilliantly. Without the AM though I naturally have more space for them to operate in centrally so you might have to adapt what you do (you might want one staying wider for example).

what are your run from deep instructions for your 2 cm's?do you stop them running from deep to leave the space for your 3 attckers?i dont play fm12(having to much success on 11)and my man utd team are deadly but i do have issues with space getting a bit cramped in the final 3rd.i'm loathe to change formation as i'm unbeaten in the league in over 100 games and i have some awesome attacking mids but sometimes my wide players dont get involved enough.i have just changed my lone striker from complete forward to poacher and this has helped create both more goals for him and a bit more room for my wide players to move into.what is your lone striker playing as?if you dont mind me asking.

Archived