Footy, Footy Everywhere...

La Furia Roja

Hi All.

I have been off the forums for a while as I have been travelling around but have had my save running and so far it has been interesting. I want to manage on every continent, from the top to the bottom, any country that comes along, not necessarily your big countries and massive teams. Anyway, let see how we go.

Decided to start in Australia, hit random and the save began.

2011/12 - Sydney FC - Hyundai A-League.

They wanted a decent position, to be honest this should have been pretty easy, decent core squad, 2 good marquee players in Nick Carle and Brett Emerton, they needed a little solidarity in the middle but with no cash and no one really interested in joining me, I had to work with what I had. I promoted 2 youngsters from the reserves to fill the gap I had, they performed well and after the half way point in the season we were sitting 3rd. Then things went bad. Emerton and Carle both got nasty injuries within 7 days of each other and Sydney lost 5 straight which had us sitting 6th, the board were getting a bit annoyed at me to make it worse. I had the leaders at home, I felt this would make or break me, a win would secure my job, a loss could see me sacked.

Sydney took an early lead, a great finish by Terry Antonis had me 1-0 after 15 minutes. 10 minutes later Melbourne Victory equalised, 1-1 at the break. Tried my best to rev the boys up but they came out like a different side, by 65 Melbourne had added 2 more and we ended up going down 4-1. Not long after full time I got the dreaded call into the office, I was sacked after just 4 months in charge.

Not the start I had in mind, but I was not the only managerial casualty that weekend, little did I know I was not to be unemployed for long..

2011/12 - Melbourne Heart - Hyundai A-League

Just 4 days after Sydney dismissed me, bottom of the league Melbourne Heart offered me a job. They were bottom by a long way, but as there is no relegation in the A-League, I took it.

Rubbish squad, no money, no morale. I finished bottom. No matter, I think they expected it, I had 12 months to turn it around.

20/12 - 20/13 - Melbourne Heart - Hyundai A-League

When I found out how much some of the 'star' players were earning I near fell over! I trimmed away all the big earners and brought in a bunch of new faces, young and old. I managed to sign 2 very key players, David Carney and Vinnie Grella. An absolute class players and these two would make the Heart a force in the league.

Just watching the friendlies alone you could see the difference Grella made, the Heart now really had a heart. He ran everything, dictated play, directing traffic, you could see he was a class above the team he was in. Sorry boys.

The team clicked pretty well, it was a tough year but we finished 5th, which put us in the finals. We drew Adelaide United, they were always a tough side to beat, gave us all sorts of headaches in the league. The first leg was away. A top performance by the boys, we left with a 1-1 and the ball firmly in our court.

I don't know how to describe what happened, the boys just didn't seem to show up, we went down 3-0 at home and were out, not only out but humiliated as well.

2013/14 - Melbourne Heart - Hyundai A-League

I decided to spend this pre season really hunting for players. Where I lacked was up front and out wide. I had no money to spend, but a decent amount in wages left. I went on the hunt and found 2 very good players for the league I was in, offered them both contracts and to my surprise both were interested and liked what I was offering. 7 days later Melbourne Heart were unveiling David Bellion and John Fleck to the faithful.

These 2 wiped out my wage budget but I know what they will do in the league. I was not disappointed at all. Between them they scored 42 of our 51 goals and we finished 2nd. We drew Wellington Phoenix in the finals and dispatched them easilyt 4-0 over 2 legs. The our eternal rivals, Melbourne Victory. Again dispatched easily 3-0. Grand Final here we come, against... Adelaide United. I was nervous, they are a side that has always caused me problems, they just seem to have my number. Well they didn't have Flecks!

3-0 with all 3 to Fleck. From bottom of the league to the top inside of 2 years. What a great effort. I felt this was time to pull up stumps. The Heart were good to me and I wont forget them, but I wanted to move abroad, show that I can do it somewhere else.

2013/14 - Australian Under 23's

I received an offer to look after the Australian under 23's, as there was nothing else on the table I decided to grab it. Things didnt go that well, we failed to qualify for the Olympics being soundly beaten by the Korean under 23's.

My future in football looked bleak.

2014/15 - FC Twente - Eredivisie

I received news that the FC Twente boss has been axed, I threw my hat in the ring without any hope of landing the job. You can imagine how stunned I was when it was offered! I snapped it up and got to work. They were 14th after 16 games and the quad looked pretty dire. We fought hard all season and got a few results, we managed to overturn Ajax 1-0 at home.

The highlight of the season was definitely the league cup. We had an incredibly easy run, only meeting our first Eredivisie side in the final. We had the game wrapped up but half time, 3-0 up and went on to win it 3-1. This out FC Twente into Europe, an excellent result in my book. I could not wait for the next season to come along. I was really confident I could do something.

Then someone once again dangled the pie in front of my face....

2015/16 - Newcastle United - Barclays Premier League

I just could not say no. A sleeping giant with a good squad, money and buckets of potential. I took the job. I am still not sure why, I didn't really want it, I just for whatever reason, could not say no? I knew the first chance I got I would leave, everything makes no sense as to why I took the job.

8 weeks later...

2015/16 - Atletico Madrid - La Liga

They knocked, I opened the door and invited them in. Sitting 10th after 9 games, 25million to spend and still a very good squad. I didn't even blink. I jumped on a plane and was in Spain. I quickly realised this squad was going to leak goals, they had no defence to speak of at all. I spent money on defenders and managed to get to a position I was happy with. We played well in the League, we had already been knocked out of the Europa League when I arrived but were still in the cup. We managed to win the cup with little effort as the big sides were already out. LEague wise me managed to finish 7th, so european football was on the cards again. My aim next year was to get a few decent squad players in, depth was the issue.

I also got offered the Russia role, they were hosting the world cup so I was auto qualified so I grabbed it, might be fun.

So far it was clear, I was having problems settling. Nothing could keep me interested, I always wanted the next challenge. This time I was determined to stay put, only a massive offer would make me move on.

2016/17 - FC Barcelona approach Heath...

What was I to do? It is like the football gods were against me! Of course I went!

2 days after I took over I had the UEFA Super Cup against Man City, a good test of what I had to work with. I still had Messi, Fabregas, Iniesta, Sanchez and Pique, as well as De Gea and Neymar. Man City passed me off the pitch for the first 45 minutes and I went in 2-0 down. An excellent fight back by the boys had me at 2-2 at the final whistle. We held them thought ET and won the shootout 5-3. Good start.

With 87 million to spend I strengthened the squad in most areas. I was surprised at how much dead wood was in the squad as well so I cleared a lot out. As I expected the league gave us no real problem. We even did the double over Madrid.

The champions league had us knocked out in the Semi Finals by Real Madrid which enraged the board. But we took the league by 9 points and the Cup to complete what was technically a treble. An excellent start to my reign.

2017/18 - Russia - FIFA World Cup

I had a pretty easy draw, New Zealand, Korea, Northern Ireland.

I actually struggled in the group. I beat Norther Ireland 3-0, but then drew 0-0 with New Zealand, who drew with Korea first game. Meaning in the final game, I had Korea, a win would secure it, but if I lost and New Zealand beat winless Northern Ireland I would be out.

Korea were all over me, shot after shot, but AKinfeev repelled everything. I had the live scores up and both games were 0-0 at half time, I was still in. 5 into the 2nd half New Zealand wen 1-0 up. 2 minutes later I was 1-0 down. When New Zealand went 2-0 up I lost hope, I managed to equalise in the 70th, but it didn't matter with NZ winning. Norther Ireland pulled one back, 2-1 85th...............2-2 92nd! Full Time!! I got through on the final kick of the ball in another game, talk about cutting it fine!!

Italy. Great, getting through didn't really mean much, they would flog me. I set up to play high and fast, something Italian football hates. Well it worked a treat. Took them to penalties and did them 5-4.

The easiest team left was Chile, who I drew. 3-0, easy.

Argentina. Damn, they have been flogging everyone, Messi on fire. I didn't know but he was injured. I really don't think it would have mattered, we mauled them. They didn't get 30 seconds on the ball without 3 Russians on them, 3-1 domination. Russia in the final.

I was certain of playing France, they knocked out Brazil and Spain, looked unbeatable. Fantastic news seeing Croatia did them on penalties! Russia v Croation Final.

Things didn't start well. Akinfeev put it in his own net 1-0 after 15. No wonder these guys beat France, they are immense! All over me, luckily Akinfeev was determined not to make another mistake and pulled of some inspired saves.

72nd minute Red Card for Croatia and a penalty to Russia. 1-1.

81st minutes, Russia taking advantage of the numbers win a corner. Swung in, free header. Goal. 1-2 Russia! The boys held firm and took a well deserved win. Russia are World Champions, I finally won something!!!!!!

2017/18 - FC Barcelona - La Liga

Finally, I had a 2nd season at a club. Everything ran smoothly until December. I lost De Gea, Messi, Pique, Fabregas and Neymar all within 3 weeks of eachother, this made my form slump, in March we were 4th and after being thumped 4-0 by Real Madrid I got the chop.

2016/17 - Valencia - La Liga

The Valencia boss was my replacement and I applied and got his old job. Valencia were 3rd, 5 above Barcelona. Only 4 games left in the season, I was merely aiming to finish above my old employer. I felt I was over spain so was leaving at the end of the season anyway. I gave 100% though and we won all 4, finishing 2nd. They will be a force soon, young squad, money, watch this space.

I resigned from Russia as well, so for the first time I was actually completely unemployed. I checked the job centre and saw Argentina were hiring so I threw my name in, they accepted.

2 days later I was approached by Sporting to take control, looks like Portugal is next..

Archived