FM12: Lenny Nangis - dare I call him the new Thierry Henry...?

clokey1988

Lenny Nangis is a young French winger. He is right-footed and can play on either wing, but is natural in the AML slot. He is also competent as a striker and could easily be retrained to play there if you wanted.

Here he is at the start of the game:

LennyNangisOverview_Attributes-6.png

LennyNangisOverview_Positions-2.png

Man City almost always end up buying him in the first transfer window on my save so if you want him from the start get in there early. If City do get him though he inevitably ends up being ferried out on loan to whoever will have him, and usually within a few seasons can be brought at a (relatively speaking) discount price for a guy with his potential.

His PA is:

-9, so he can potentially become one of the very best players in the world if you get lucky

I had him on loan in League 2 and he was pretty rubbish to be honest. I forgot all about him until I got promoted to the Premiership a few seasons later and noticed he was transfer listed by request. His attributes looked great so I took a punt on him. Because he is extremely quick and a good crosser I was playing him mainly as an out-and-out winger down the right-hand side for the first half of the season. He did okay but didn't exactly set the world alight.

Due to injuries I gave him a shot at AML (I was playing a flat 4-4-2 but with the left winger pushed forward a bit). In his first game he scored 4 goals and set up another one. Since then he has never looked back, and ended up scoring 20 goals from the left wing slot in a little over half a season. He got an international call-up just in time for the Euros and won the best player award at his first major tournament!

Here he is at the beginning of season 6:

LennyNangisOverview_Attributes-5.png

And his career history:

LennyNangisHistory_CareerStats.png

I've just turned down a 20 million pound offer from Liverpool, which is pretty good considering I paid less than half of that a year ago!

The reason I compare him to Thierry Henry is because he started as a left winger before Wenger converted him to a striker as well, and his pace developed before his technical attributes not unlike Nangis on the game. Obviously his technicals are never going to reach Henry's level on the game but Nangis is devastating cutting in from the wide left onto his right foot, roasting the full-back with his pace and then slotting it past the keeper, just like Henry made a career out of doing. I don't know whether to retrain him as a striker and see how he does or not; 20 goals from the left wing is a great return but it makes me wonder what he could do from a central position.

Any other experiences with the guy? Would you retrain him as a striker or leave him as a winger?

Cheers.

Trained him to "Accomplished" at striker for the new season. He also learnt "Places Shots" which I started him on towards the end of the last season.

After 8 league games playing as the left striker of a 4-4-2 (though occasionally dropping to AML and switching positions with Daniel Sturridge up front), Nangis' record is:

Played: 8

Goals: 10

Assists: 10

MotM: 3

Average rating: 8.80

I think we can call the striker conversion experiment a success!

It may sound a bit greedy but I am convinced he can do quite a lot better than that though. His PPM "Moves into channels" seems to drag him wide and out of directly threatening goal-scoring positions quite often. I'm wondering if I should get him to learn to cut inside, would that combination work? If he moves into the wide channels to find space and then once he gets the ball cuts back inside and drives at goal ready to place his shots into the far corner... thoughts?

Cheers.

Archived