Defeating Barça

Hi there

I'm playing Bayern with a very sucsessfull tactic. But in the CLeague I'm just not able to defeat Barca.

Can anyone give me a hint or a good tactic in order to overcome this Galactic team?

Thx

Best tactic to beat Barca = turn to religion ;)

Seriously, give us a brief rundown of your tactic and we will be able to give you more advice :)

OK

4-4-2 Flat

Very sucsesfull tactig from The Better Half (commonly used with MANU).

Filosofy - Fluid

Control

At the back 2 FB and 2 CB (Defending). One MC more suport and the othe ballrecovering 2 Wingers 1 poacher (suport) and 1 Striker (Gomez)

Don't try to dominate possession. Sit back, but not too deep. Definitely try the counter (+ a little higher tempo, + more direct passing). See how much help the ref is giving you. If he is calling everything a foul try to prevent that (unless you defend their set pieces very well). Try to score from a counter or set-piece. Pray Messi has a bad day.

Personally I didn't start to do well in Europe until about 3 attempts, and by then it was already 2017, so luckily Messi and Aguero were a little older by then, but still dominant till around 2020!

I will say that counter is not used enough, have you guys and galls ( cleon) seen football lately , only and idiot attacks , it will open up so many ways to punish you .

I will play standard to get the other team to attack me, and if they don´t then only then will I go to control. if they are better always hit them on the counter attack, if you are too deep in defence and getting pressure, use more pressing and up the defence line.

A player like Cavani is a beast against attacking teams with hamsik as his second

Struggeled against Leverkusen in the semi's lost 1-2 away and won 2-0 at home...

The final is against MAn City. I don't know this team so well. Shoul I play counter again or should I play 4-4-2 control? Any sugestion?

The final is against MAn City. I don't know this team so well. Shoul I play counter again or should I play 4-4-2 control? Any sugestion?

I've just had a very good result against Man City using my Tinkerman Philosophy (changing tactics every game to counter the opponent).

Man City usually play a 4-2-3-1 narrow (2 MCs 3 AMCs). So I lined up with a 4-1-4-1 formation, but importantly had a runner from midfield (Tim Cahill B2B midfielder). This is to exploit the gaps left by City's two CMs, who seem to bomb forward a lot. So make sure you have someone similar to Cahill to play this role for you, its important. Make sure you have decent work rate on the flanks (I used Pienaar/Osman) to man mark their full backs (Richards and Clichy in my case). Doing so takes out whatever little width there is in the Man City team. Jelavic is a good hold up man (make sure you play someone capable of holding the ball up) so I set him as a supporting Complete Forward to hold it up for Cahill and the wingers to support him.

Overall my team was...

Howard (Sweeper Keeper/Support)

Hibbert (Full Back-Automatic)

Jagielka (Limited Defender/Cover)

Hetinga (Central Defender/Stopper)

Baines (Full Back/Automatic)

Fellaini (Defensive Midfielder/Defend)

Cahill (Box-to-Box Midfielder)

Rodwell (Ball winning midfielder/Support)

Pienaar (Defensive Winger/Attack)

Osman (Defensive Winger/Attack)

Jelavic (Complete Forward/Support)

Doing so I raced into a 2-0 lead. First goal came from a Pienaar cross to the near post where Jelavic was waiting to tap it home. The 2nd goal was my gameplan coming to fruition. Jelavic held the ball up, drawing the two City defenders with him. Cahill made the run in behind and Jelavic played it through, to where he extravagantly lobbed Joe Hart. After the hour mark City we forced City to change their shape to a 4-4-2 and to bring on Tevez. Thanks to a dodgy penalty and a magic 30 yarder from Silva they managed to escape with a 2-2 draw. But I think with a bit more luck this strategy vs Man City is effective.

10 men defending and Torres up front usually works..

But on a serious note, I have only ever played them twice, both as Bilbao in the league, at home I won 3-1 by using my normal attacking tactic and they left far too much space for Munian and Llorente to just run. Away was a 2-1 defeat however, where I tried to attack again but at the Camp Nou seemed pretty suicidal. Counter does seem to be the best way, soak up the pressure and then break fast, considering they push so many people forward if you have a quick team there'd be a lot of space to exploit. There's been examples of this IRL in recent years too, especially this season, Arsenal at the Emirates last year, Madrid, Chelsea x 2.

Archived