Creative Freedom:More disciplined or more expressive?

Creative Freedom:More disciplined or more expressive?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Creative Freedom:More disciplined or more expressive?

• More disciplined
    • More expressive

I've always played the "more expressive". But with the recent times moved on "More disciplined." Players started to play more beautiful football, perfect combination, which was not at greater creativity. What's the difference? What do you use? What determines your choice?

I choose more expressive. I have players with good stats and I also play a 'fairly' restrictive possession type of football. If find that it keeps the ball nicely, but the players will break ranks often to make that key pass/run.

Creativity for me has always been about a players ability to 'see' whats going on. I think of it as having 'eyes in the back of their head'. Therefore a team with high creativity and decision making are candidates for high creative freedom. That doesnt mean you have to give it to them and even if you do, it doesnt mean you give it to all of them.

There will be times where you simply want them to do what you tell them to do.... like protect a lead, or attack a weakness...... times like this you might want to change how you manage them.

If you have a read of SFRasers 'meet the system', you will see how he sets his team up with lots of 'mixed' instructions (which does beg the question about needed creative freedom). but what he does here is uses the players abilities and PPM's to understand what they are likely to do if they get a little creative (read - high creative freedom).

And.... as always, I like to quote the manual:

Creativity

This refers to a player’s vision and ability to see a potential opening, not necessarily exploit it. A player might be able to see something to take advantage of but also requires the technical proficiency to pull it off.

Thus as you can see. You players need the ability to pull off their intended creative works :)

Regards

LAM

Creative freedom basically refers to how unpredictable or methodical you want your players to be. High creative freedom gives the player the freedom to attempt whatever they like and it encourages them to attempt the more ambitious plays whilst low creative freedom is the exact opposite.

For example, Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes are two deep-lying playmakers but they are giving different amounts of creative freedom. This is because, despite playing the same roles, they have different qualities and different responsibilities on the pitch. Michael Carrick has more responsibility defensively, so does it make sense to allow him to be more "unpredictable" in his play? Then you have Paul Scholes, who has the ability to see pretty much any pass and the technical ability to pull it off, so does it make sense to limit that and make him play more "methodical"?

I base creative freedom on a player's ability, their tactical role and also the tactical approach of the team. For instance, some people would interpret the tika-taka approach of the likes of Barcelona, Spain and Swansea as a more expressive way of playing. I would argue that it is in fact a more disciplined way of playing as you're giving the players the responsibility to retain possession and avoid giving away the ball cheaply. Surely that needs some tactical discipline as I'm sure if Xavi was giving higher creative freedom, then out of the 100 passes he makes in a game, he would get bored of playing the simple pass once in a while.

I choose more expressive. I have players with good stats and I also play a 'fairly' restrictive possession type of football. If find that it keeps the ball nicely, but the players will break ranks often to make that key pass/run.

Creativity for me has always been about a players ability to 'see' whats going on. I think of it as having 'eyes in the back of their head'. Therefore a team with high creativity and decision making are candidates for high creative freedom. That doesnt mean you have to give it to them and even if you do, it doesnt mean you give it to all of them.

There will be times where you simply want them to do what you tell them to do.... like protect a lead, or attack a weakness...... times like this you might want to change how you manage them.

If you have a read of SFRasers 'meet the system', you will see how he sets his team up with lots of 'mixed' instructions (which does beg the question about needed creative freedom). but what he does here is uses the players abilities and PPM's to understand what they are likely to do if they get a little creative (read - high creative freedom).

And.... as always, I like to quote the manual:

Creativity

This refers to a player’s vision and ability to see a potential opening, not necessarily exploit it. A player might be able to see something to take advantage of but also requires the technical proficiency to pull it off.

Thus as you can see. You players need the ability to pull off their intended creative works :)

Regards

LAM

Its not all about creativity mate. I also look at flair. I like to give players with high flair high creative freedom and then watch them do the unexpected :cool:

I prefer more disciplined as there does not seem to be a good definition of it in-game or on the forums so I prefer my players to play as strictly to my instructions as possible and will continue to opt for a more rigid setup until I better understand its in-game effects.

aderow but if a player has high creativity, decision, antecipations, passing, first touch and technique but low flair ( something like 10) do you still give him high creative freedom?

Yeah of course. Why wouldn't I.

I consider creativity and flair differently for different roles. Someone I want to play make in the midfield I'd care more about creativity. Someone who operates closer to goal, I'd be more inclined to care more about flair.

I consider creativity and flair differently for different roles. Someone I want to play make in the midfield I'd care more about creativity. Someone who operates closer to goal, I'd be more inclined to care more about flair.

This.

For the playmakers creativity is key, for wingers and attackind midfielders flair is more important.

If a player has high creativity and low creative freedom that doesn't condition his vision, but he will try less risky passes.

A player with high flair will be more restricted to try the unexpected if you give him less creative freedom.

It depends on the player. If I have a player who can utilize creative freedom very well I will give him the creative freedom he needs. If a player on the other hand hasn't got the stats to utilize creative freedom effectively I won't give him much since he is likely make more mistakes then better players.

Archived