Help, understanding tactics ...maybe...

I was in charge of sc cambuur of the jupiler dutch league , i took control half way through season, didnt do much that season. Next season got promotoed with a diffrent formation 4-2-3-1 i think but almost untouched tactis, next year got demolished in the top league.

the following season after 2 loses and 5 draws i decided to have a look around at the tacticts and went for a 4-4-2 with the only things toached /tempo was set to almost bottom of slow.../time wasting was put to almost always/...defensive line and width both set the bottom...narrow and deep.

this worked a charm and after 13 matches had won 11 i think.

i got a job offer Leighton O in league 1 of the english divisions. i have tried this tactis again put it is worknig horribly bad. Why would this be , the qaulity of players are the same in that league, or maybe a bit better, will that make a diffrence ? my squad is similiar aswell. Why would this tactic work a beauty with the old team but terribly in this league.?

I understand that moral, squad cohesiveness can play a part i know all this, i would like it only why these tactics could fail.....to help me understand.?

It's all about quality of players compared with the league that you're in.

The 4-2-3-1 would have worked in the Jupiler League because the players you had in that team would have been much better, and you would have expected to dominate. However, when transferring these tactics up into the top league and the 4-2-3-1 is an attacking formation for a dominant team, you wouldn't be the bigger team in the Eredivisie thus should approach with a more cautious tactic. That's why the simple 4-4-2 worked and got good results, you were a solid defensive unit, forcing results.

Moving onto the league 1 team, that 4-4-2 was probably too defensive for the quality of the team. Were you expected a decent finish in the league?

joined half way through old manager was in relegation with a mid table team. maybe push for 7th place type team. meh i am gunna wait till the new season and i can build up a team start fresh and still

see if im still losing. im just trying to underwhen the whole tiempo , defensive line, time wasting, width thing and how they work out, i know top team wouldhave them all to the right and opposite for time wasting , for fast attacknig football, but can a great team have it all deep, and narrow and slow and still be a great team, is this a man utd type thing?

question like that.

Yeah there's no reason as to why a good team can't play slow tempo football. Barca do it, controlling the game with short passes and a slow tempo and they always have the full backs to pass to. Man Utd do it away from home too, they are patient with the ball and look for openings. Then once they get the goal they look to counter attack and up the tempo because the opposition is in search of a goal.

Here's a tip, watch a part of the game in full. Speed it up even, if you like. But just see where does your attacking build up fail, players dawdling on the ball? Passes going astray? Interceptions? Lost headers? Teams closing you down too quickly? That should give you crucial information about who (if any) should have their passing style adjusted, and then the rest will tell you if your tempo should increase/decrease (if your build up is too slow up the tempo, if your team loses the ball too easily slow it down).

Then look on defence, are you caught out on the counter, do they control the game and eventually break through? Could be a problem of sitting too deep, and not pressuring the ball enough, in that specific case.

a long night in the game and in the forums and i have learnt alot, i think, i hope.Achilles your advice is alot of help aswell.

if being caught on the counter what woud that problem be?

and..well there is no and ,,you help is very good and i will start to look at these things.

i would eventauly like to break down and try to recreate a man utd tactic ..which i see as slow tempo

Archived