Euro 2012 final 23-men squads, discuss them as they get revealed

noikeee

Torres was always a certainty anyway. Del Bosque pretty such said it, even when he wasn't called up. Del Bosque loves Negredo as well, I'd take Adrián instead personally.

Shame for Villa but I didn't really expect him to come back, personally. I think if you don't get back during the season even near the end there's no way you can be going especially if you missed a pretty long time

Villa for Spain is incredible. If he's fit he plays, it's unquestionable.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Torres was always a certainty anyway. Del Bosque pretty such said it, even when he wasn't called up. Del Bosque loves Negredo as well, I'd take Adrián instead personally.

Villa for Spain is incredible. If he's fit he plays, it's unquestionable.

No doubt but that's been a hell of an injury to expect a player to really not play much of the 2nd half of the season and then come into the international set up! I guess if you're taking 5 strikers you could risk it. England tends to love taking half-injured players but we don't have the depth of the Spanish

Former Flamengo and Brazil's national team player Júnior believes that Europeans care more about the European Championship than about the World Cup.

Do you Euros agree with that?

think I'm 50-50 on the issue to be honest. Of course my nation haven't been at a major tournament since 1998 but I still enjoy watching the European Championships and World Cups because I'm a football fan

the World Cup is the major one considering it's a tournament featuring all the big nations but in a way, the European Championships is like a World Cup without the filler matches. In the World Cup somebody like a Brazil (for example) might find themselves facing a team or possibly 2 teams that they can easily beat and most of the time they will make the knockouts quite easily. Compare this to Group B in Euro 2012 where a bad result could hamper teams like Germany and Holland who are among the favourites to win the tournament from getting through their group. Infact most of the groups in the forthcoming Euros are quite difficult to call, although B is definitely the "group of death" considering it has teams who could beat each other in it

While I agree the European Championship group stage is harder (at least before the tournament is expanded to 24 teams) as you often have 3 good teams in same group, in the WC the group stage is not so easy either, as the likes of Argentina, France and Italy have learned in recent editions.

The lack of knowledge teams sometimes have (like Brazil regarding North Korea, for example) doesn't help either.

EDIT: and in my case, between the WC and Copa América, I certainly prefer the WC 100-0.

I think that knowledge gap is definitely decreasing with the way football is these days, obviously North Korea are a little more difficult to get a handle on than some teams :D I kind of used to like these teams turning up in the 80s for World Cups and you didn't know too much about them really.

I don't think there's any preference for the Euros in Europe but I wouldn't say we consider it the same way South Americans may consider the Copa America. Obviously, you want to do well in both as they're both 'big' tournaments as far as Europe is concerned but I don't think you'd ever have anyone saying 'it's only the Euros' or anything like that. It's certainly not like the UEFA Cup vs the Champions League type situation.

I don't think the players think of it any different either but if they had to choose I am sure they'd rather win the World Cup but it'd still be huge to win the Euros. massive.

This is the last Euros worth anything though, going to 24 teams will be utterly horrendous. The good thing about the Euros (and I remember the 8 team tournaments) is the groups are pretty strong so you get some good games right off from the start.

Enjoy it people as you won't be getting no Germany vs Portugal and England vs France this early in a tournament for a long, long time

Suspect I already know the answer to this but to the non-English; is there the same level of consternation/second-guessing/undermining with regards the squad selection from the media/public as there ALWAYS is in England?

Here, in Poland - yes. EVERY team selection for major tournament in last 10 years is controversial, and our coaches tend to surprise everyone with bizarre call-ups. Biggest surprise was omission of Dudek from 2006 WC. Present squad is also controversial - inclusions of Brożek, Sobiech or Boenisch who have played little or none football for last year are surprising, to say the least. There is also big dispute regarding "nationalization" of players who have Polish descent (mostly from before WWII), but have little or none present ties with Poland - in 26 provisional squad there are 5 such players - Boenisch, Obraniak, Perquis, Polanski and Matuszczyk. With no competitive fixtures for two years, no-one seems to know what to expect from our team - including, unfortunately, our coach Franciszek Smuda.

Provisional squad, three players to be dropped (I'd go for Kucharczyk, Kamiński and Matuszczyk, but this is wild guessing):

Goalkeepers: Łukasz Fabiański (Arsenal FC), Wojciech Szczęsny (Arsenal FC), Przemysław Tytoń (PSV Eindhoven).

Defenders: Sebastian Boenisch (SV Werder Bremen), Kamil Glik (Torino FC), Tomasz Jodłowiec (KSP Polonia Warszawa), Marcin Kamiński (KKS Lech Poznań), Damien Perquis (FC Sochaux-Montbéliard), Łukasz Piszczek (Borussia Dortmund), Marcin Wasilewski (RSC Anderlecht), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Legia Warszawa), Grzegorz Wojtkowiak (KKS Lech Poznań).

Midfielders: Jakub Błaszczykowski (Borussia Dortmund), Dariusz Dudka (AJ Auxerre), Kamil Grosicki (Sivasspor), Adam Matuszczyk (Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895), Adrian Mierzejewski (Trabzonspor AŞ), Rafal Murawski (KKS Lech Poznań), Eugen Polanski (1. FSV Mainz), Ludovic Obraniak (FC Girondins de Bordeaux), Maciej Rybus (FC Terek Grozny), Rafał Wolski (Legia Warszawa).

Forwards: Paweł Brożek (Celtic FC), Michał Kucharczyk (Legia Warszawa), Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund), Artur Sobiech (Hannover 96).

Boruc, along with veteran centreback Żewłakow, had been dropped by Smuda after some alcohol affair while on international duty; another one of highly controversial decisions by our coach. Kuszczak is believed to be dropped because he wouldn't accept backup role.

Seemed pretty happy to be playing that role at United for years. :confused:

He probably values SAF more than Smuda, which is easy to understand. ;)

Final Russia squad:

Goalkeepers: Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow), Vyacheslav Malafeev (Zenit), Anton Shunin (Dynamo Moscow);

Defenders: Aleksander Anyukov (Zenit), Alexey Berezutsky, Sergey Ignashevich, Kirill Nababkin (all CSKA Moscow); Vladimir Granat (Dynamo Moscow), Yury Zhirkov (Anzhi), Dmitry Kombarov (Spartak Moscow), Roman Sharonov (Rubin), Roman Shishkin (Lokomotiv Moscow);

Midfielders: Igor Denisov, Konstantin Zyrianov, Roman Shirokov (all Zenit); Denis Glushakov (Lokomotiv Moscow), Igor Semshov (Dynamo Moscow);

Forwards: Andrey Arshavin, Aleksander Kerzhakov (both Zenit); Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow), Marat Izmailov (Sporting, Portugal), Aleksander Kokorin (Dynamo Moscow), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Lokomotiv Moscow), Pavel Pogrebnyak (Fulham, England).

• Administrators

Holland down to 23.

Doel

Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma), Michel Vorm (Swansea City).

Verdediging

Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Wilfred Bouma (PSV), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (Málaga), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax), Jetro Willems (PSV).

Middenveld

Mark van Bommel (AC Milan), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Stijn Schaars (Sporting Lissabon), Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale), Kevin Strootman (PSV), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur).

Aanval

Ibrahim Afellay (Barcelona), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Luuk de Jong (FC Twente), Dirk Kuijt (Liverpool), Luciano Narsingh (SC Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern München).

Bouma going to the Euro's!! Awesome!

Was brilliant at Villa until serious injury almost ended his career, he's done fantastically well to be back in the International side.

We really haven't got any better options in defence. Well van Marwijk good have given some younger talents a chance, but he finds 'experience' very important. I'm happy with the squad, a pity Anita and Maher didn't make the cut, but so be it.

Willems is probably going to be the youngest player on the tournament I think. Maybe van Marwijk makes him first choise at LB.

What happened to Elia? Does he not get a game for the national team anymore or is he injured?
he is overrated and have bad attitude most probably, have hardly played any first team football this year

Basically every nation picks their squad apart and criticises everything and their TV coverage focuses on their own nation/team but in England we think we're the only ones that are like this and grrrrrr etc

Yep.

That's actually a pretty strong Russian team. I think they have the potential to go even further this year than they did in Euro 2008.

Think they'll go through Group A easily along with Poland due to the home advantage, Greece and the current generation of Czech talent are very average IMO.

Now further than Euro 2008 (further than the semis??) I'm very skeptic about that. :D

rumoured final Polish squad:

goalkeepers: Grzegorz Sandomierski (Jagiellonia Białystok), Wojciech Szczęsny (Arsenal Londyn), Przemysław Tytoń (PSV Eidhoven).

defenders: Sebastian Boenisch (Werder Brema), Marcin Kamiński (Lech Poznań), Damien Perquis (Sochaux), Łukasz Piszczek (Borussia Dortmund), Marcin Wasilewski (Anderlecht Bruksela), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Legia Warszawa), Grzegorz Wojtkowiak (Lech Poznań).

midfielders: Jakub Błaszczykowski (Borussia Dortmund), Dariusz Dudka (Auxerre), Kamil Grosicki (Sivasspor), Adam Matuszczyk (Fortuna Dusseldorf), Adrian Mierzejewski (Trabzonspor), Rafał Murawski (Lech Poznań), Ludovic Obraniak (Bordeaux), Eugen Polanski (FSV Mainz), Maciej Rybus (Terek Grozny), Rafał Wolski (Legia Warszawa).

strikers: Paweł Brożek (Celtic Glasgow), Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund), Artur Sobiech (Hannover 96).

I really don't know why Brożek and Sobiech are there, I'd rather we took someone from our league who plays and scores regularly, not Brożek who has been poor for the last 2 years, or Sobiech who can't get a game at Hannover.

Spain:

Squad: Casillas (Real Madrid), Valdes (Barcelona), Reina (Liverpool); Alba (Valencia), Albiol, Arbeloa, Ramos (all Real Madrid), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid), Pique (Barcelona), Martinez (Athletic Bilbao); Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Busquets, Fabregas (all Barcelona), Alonso (Real Madrid), Silva (Manchester City), Cazorla (Malaga), Navas (Sevilla), Mata (Chelsea); Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Torres (Chelsea), Negredo (Sevilla), Pedro (Barcelona).

Negredo instead of Soldado.

Spain has the best midfield of the comp.

There was talk about a year ago of Silva playing as the central striker. I don't know whether that is still considered a realistic option or if they want someone like Negredo or Llorente to mix it up, but if it is then there would be a good possibility of seven or even eight "midfielders" playing.

I was unsure if I would get abused for posting this in a new thread so I think this may be the most appropriate place to ask......

If I'm going to buy a Euro 2012 squad guide, any ideas on which one is the best? World Soccer Magazine's latest issue looks good, but it was written before the squads were announced. Likewise FourFourTwo's Euro 2012 special issue won't have up to date squad lists.

Archived