Forget Müller, here come the Magpies

snootyjim

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 2024

Preston 0 - 0 Dorchester

Struggling with the Christmas fixture list, so a few regulars missed out and Jim Marshall made his debut at centre-back. Could've anticipated a disjointed performance given the team, but against the league leaders it's not a bad performance at all.

Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Dorchester

Western (YP13) opened the scoring in the second half, but we conceded from a corner in the last 5 minutes. Thought this one was in the bag.

Dorchester 0 - 0 Exeter (FA Cup 3rd Round)

We were by far the better side against Exeter, and had a bucketload of chances to win the match. Sadly we didn't take any of them, so we'll have to put in another superhuman performance away from home.

Dorchester 0 - 0 Cambridge United

Still looking very sluggish, and we've got 2 games a week right the way through until the end of February.

Wycombe 1 - 1 Dorchester (JPT South Final 1st Leg)

Wycombe took the lead, but Radcliffe (YP8) got us back in the game. Hopefully we can put in a good performance next time around.

Scunthorpe 3 - 0 Dorchester

Played reasonably well, but never scored and the goals just kept coming. Hopper has abysmal morale. The post-Christmas blues have well and truly begun.

Exeter 2 - 2 Dorchester (3-4 on penalties) (FA Cup 3rd Round Replay)

I had a chat with Hopper to ask him to improve, and he really took note. Hopper (YP7) scored a penalty early on, and we had control of the game from then onwards. Didn't stop us conceding though, and we needed a sensational run from the wing by Hopper (YP7) and a curling shot into the top corner to get us back in the game - sadly they pegged us back again, and took us to penalties... yet again! Unbelievably, we dug out another win.

February 2024

Plymouth 4 - 1 Dorchester (FA Cup 4th Round)

I wasn't sure what to do, but I decided to focus on the league and gave some of the jaded players a rest against Championship Plymouth. We weren't decimated, but Plymouth were far more deadly in front of goal. Baverstock scored a late goal, but it was far too late.

Dorchester 1 - 3 Newport County

Started really badly and let in two goals, but we improved significantly after that. Hopkinson (YP18) got one for us, but we were nowhere near ruthless enough and conceded again.

Port Vale 0 - 0 Dorchester

We were totally destroyed by Port Vale, and then lost Greenwood (YP3) for 2 months to injury.

Dorchester 1 - 0 Wycombe (JPT South Final 2nd Leg)

We played really well, and Western (YP13) scored early on. Thankfully we didn't let Wycombe back in the game, and we're through to the final!

Dorchester 2 - 1 Morecambe

Another blistering performance, maybe we've broken our season blues? Radcliffe (YP8) put us in front in the first half, and Hopper (YP7) doubled it in the second. Morecambe pulled one back late on, but they never looked like they were going to score a second.

Hartlepool 1 - 0 Dorchester

Hartlepool took the lead somehow, despite being a useless side. We kept pushing in an attempt to get an equaliser, but absolutely nothing.

Dorchester 2 - 0 Salisbury

Took a long time, but Hopper (YP7) scored the first after the keeper spilled a Western (YP13) shot, and then Cochrane (YP6) found himself on the end of a freekick and fired the ball past the keeper. If we keep this up we might just edge our way back into the playoffs.

Dorchester 3 - 1 Barnet

McCormack (YP2) grabbed his first goal of the season after his return from York on loan, and Wearne headed us even further into the lead after half-time. They managed to score, but in the dying seconds, McCormack (YP2) somehow scored again... he's really making a case to stay. Then he got injured for 4 weeks, but I respect his efforts.

League Table

March 2024

Rochdale 1 - 0 Dorchester

Never really got started in this game, so inconsistent at the moment.

Dorchester 1 - 2 Yeovil

Western (YP13) started us off with his 50th league goal, but they equalised late on, and then in the 93rd minute we gave away a penalty and let them win. Fuming.

Colchester 2 - 2 Dorchester

Colchester were by far the better team, and got the first goal, but Blunt (YP4) came in with a thumping header just before half-time to get us level. Radcliffe (YP8) then fired us into the lead, but we were under a lot of pressure and conceded a fluked cross.

Dorchester 0 - 2 Barnsley

Played well, but lost again somehow. I've ripped into them after the match, hope there's a reaction of some kind as we've just dropped out of the playoffs by a point.

Stevenage 2 - 3 Dorchester

Western (YP13) scored again, in both halves, glad that he's amongst the goals given Hopper's lack of them at present. Somehow, we let them back into the game, and they got 2 goals late on. Looked like it was all over, but Radcliffe (YP8) came in right at the end to win it for us. Back on track!

Dorchester 2 - 0 Walsall

Baverstock got our first, and was followed by Western (YP13) in a game of only 7 shots. Hopper missed a penalty late on, but a good day all round.

Dorchester 0 - 3 Coventry (JPT Final)

Coventry are top of League 1 at the moment, and playing some great football. We had a goal disallowed for offside, and then they went 1-0 up. We had the bulk of the possession, and even created more chances, but never looked convincing, and Coventry scored 2 more goals in the second half.

April 2024

Dorchester 4 - 2 Gillingham

Gillingham got us off to a great start with an own goal, and Radcliffe (YP8) scored again with a great header. Gillingham pulled one back, but Hopper (YP7) converted a penalty to re-establish our lead. They came back again with a crazy fluke, and I thought they were in with a chance, but Blunt (YP4) came flying in with a diving header to ensure the win.

Tranmere 0 - 2 Dorchester

Burnell (YP16) got us into the lead, and Western (YP13) struck yet again to put us 6th in the league, 5 points clear of the nearest competitor for the playoffs and a game in hand. We might actually do this!

Wycombe 5 - 2 Dorchester

We were a long way off the pace in this game, brought us down a notch or two. Baverstock had a good game, scoring 2 goals, but that was about the only highlight.

Dorchester 3 - 1 Brentford

Haley (YP1) scored after just 3 minutes, and then Western's shot bounced off the post, off the back of the keeper, and into the net. Then Western (YP13) put us 3-0 in front. We let one in near the end of the first half, but the score stayed the same throughout the second half. Another win closer to the playoffs.

Lincoln 0 - 1 Dorchester

Lincoln probably edged this, but they scored an own goal. A result in the next match should guarantee us a place in the playoffs.

Dorchester 3 - 1 Nottm Forest

Full house in the league for the first time I think. Hopper (YP7) put us into the lead, and then Western (YP13) put us 2-0 up. They scored a goal late on, and I thought they might get back in the match, but thankfully their next goal was into their own net.

May 2024

Dorchester 1 - 2 Oldham

Not the way I wanted the season to end. Hopper (YP7) got us off to a great start with a penalty, but Oldham were much better and deserved the win. Hopefully we'll come back strong for the playoffs. I know we're good enough to beat these sides - just a question of what happens on the day.

Brentford 1 - 3 Dorchester (Playoff Semi-Final 1st Leg)

Western (YP13) was in blistering form, and scored a terrific hat-trick. Brentford pulled a goal back, but then Western was taken off injured, and will miss the next 3 weeks. Gutted after such a great performance, but hopefully Frear or Baverstock will step up.

Dorchester 2 - 1 Brentford (Playoff Semi-Final 2nd Leg)

Brentford took the lead, but Blunt (YP4) stepped up with a vital equaliser and Williams (YP17) won it with a deflected shot late on.

June 2024

Dorchester 1 - 0 Rochdale AET (Playoff Final)

50,000 came to Wembley to watch this game, unbelievably. It was such an even match, I never thought we'd make the breakthrough. It took us until the 100th minute, and Hopper (YP7) was given a great one-on-one opportunity by Baverstock, and made no mistake with the finish.

Season 10 - 2023/24

Competitions

League Table - League Positions - Thought we were going to screw it up again, but held it together this time. Brilliant end to a great season.

FA Cup - Made it unbelievably tricky for ourselves to get past Exeter. I wish we'd got a bigger draw than Plymouth.

League Cup - Great result against West Ham, don't mind losing to Norwich too much.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Wonderful run, even if the penalties were ridiculous. Coventry were step too far in the final, really wish we'd won it having gone that far - but it's nothing compared to promotion.

Club

Finances - Massive profits after the cup runs and the game at Wembley.

Facilities - Still waiting on the youth recruitment improvements, hopefully League 1 will do the trick.

Players

Squad

The clearout has begun - the squad really is very small now. I was tempted to keep some of the players just to fill out the ranks, but they're incredibly expensive and it's just a waste of money.

Nathan Haley (YP1) - Haley's best season so far. Excellent performance over a huge number of games.

Tadhg McCormack (YP2) - I sent him away on loan to York for a few months in the BSP, and he didn't do too well. He had one deceptively good game, but I still don't rate him.

Mike Greenwood (YP3) - Not a great season. He seems to be struggling to get a full season in, but he's still one of my top players.

Ethan Blunt (YP4) - Incredibly. 62 appearances, and his best average rating in a season so far.

Junior Cochrane (YP6) - Played horrendously on loan at Braintree, came back and wasn't much better.

Daniel Hopper (YP7) - 55 appearances, and 25 goals. Still sticking to his 1:2 ratio, hasn't yet reached his BSP heights. I hope he doesn't struggle too much in League 1.

Harold Radcliffe (YP8) - Another okay season, seems like he's more or less hit his potential but I was hoping he might have a bit more room to improve but there you go.

Harry Bryan (YP9) - Played out of the team, not sure he'll get any chances in the future.

Ricky Benson (YP10) - Still useless, will be on his way imminently.

John Carey (YP12) - Better than last season, seemed pretty reliable but still no decent backup.

Geoff Western (YP13) - Best season so far with 19 goals, really pleased.

Jermaine Frear (YP14) - Again, no games. Baverstock and Ashton are ahead of him now so he might never get another look in.

Carmine Tubbs (YP15) - Another good year, 8 goals from the wing. Would like him to be a bit more threatening with crosses, but he's never been a typical winger.

Ross Burnell (YP16) - Played a heck of a lot this year, split between DR and MR. He's got a lot of potential, but still isn't achieving it.

Greg Williams (YP17) - A much better season than last time round, becoming a very reliable central defender along with Blunt.

Marcus Hopkinson (YP18) - Slowly staking his claim on a first team place, but I've got high hopes.

Callum Fleming (YP19) - Good season playing backup for ML and MC - he's unlikely to make himself part of the first XI any time soon, but a great player to have in the squad.

Former Players

Kenneth Adu (YP5) - Left, went on trial at Preston, and has now retired at the age of 22. Sad end.

Thomas Pryce (YP11) - Joined Salisbury on a free transfer, didn't play too well.

Great job on promotion! It was touch and go there for a while, but pulling off this sort achievement is brilliant :thup:
Really climbing now!

Cheers :)

Has been a really, really tough season so far. I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

I have a sneaking suspicion we'll struggle to get out of this league unless we can improve our intake somehow. Junior coaching is maxed, so it will need to be recruitment or facilities. We have a facility improvement coming, but at £600k it's not the sort of thing we can afford to do again, and recruitment has been a no-go since day 1.

August 2024

Stockport 3 - 3 Dorchester

New life, new league. Stockport were really unlucky not to get promoted last season, came highest of the non-promoted teams. We got off to a terrific start, with an own goal after great work by Western (YP13), and a great finish from Tubbs (YP15). In the second half though, Stockport scored 3 goals in quick succession to retake the lead. We needed a great finish from Wearne to get us level again.

Bristol Rovers 1 - 3 Dorchester (League Cup 1st Round)

Blunt (YP4) headed us into the lead, and Hopper (YP7) hit a precise shot in off the post. Rovers pulled one back, but Williams (YP17) re-established our lead.

Dorchester 0 - 1 Southend

A decent game, with chances for both sides. We struggled to put ours away though - Hopper in particular had a bad game.

Bristol City 1 - 1 Dorchester

Bristol took the lead, but we were the better side - took until the 80th minute to get an equaliser through Blunt (YP4). Hovering just above the relegation places.

Dorchester 1 - 0 Reading

Reading had a man sent off after 16 minutes, and Ashton got his first goal for the club playing alongside Hopper. Good result that gives us a bit of breathing room.

Cardiff 3 - 3 Dorchester (3-1 on penalties) (League Cup 2nd Round)

Cardiff have never played outside of the Championship in this game, but it was Hopper (YP7) who looked a level above, giving us the lead inside 10 minutes. Williams (YP17) doubled our lead in the 19th, but after that Cardiff proved their class with three great goals. A long range lump up the field then evaded all of the Cardiff defenders, and allowed Western (YP13) to round the keeper and level the game. We held out for penalties, and got there, but we lost our nerve.

Dorchester 1 - 0 Bradford

Similar to the Reading game, Bradford had a man sent off after just 15 minutes. Some great work by Charnley on the right wing forced the Bradford defence into a mistake, turning his cross into their own net. Then they lost another man to a red card in the 85th minute. I've heard of handing a match to your opponents, but this was incredible.

September 2024

Dorchester 3 - 0 Yeovil (JPT South 1st Round)

Two early goals from Hopper (YP7) settled this match early on, and he completed his hat-trick in the 71st minute.

Burton 2 - 0 Dorchester

Early own goal from Williams (YP17) made things tough, and Burton weren't about to let up. Got their second after half-time, and never gave us a chance to get back in the game.

Dorchester 2 - 1 Oxford

Hilarious tackle from behind on the edge of the area gave Hopper (YP7) our opener from the penalty spot, but then Javlon Campbell, my most hated player in this save from his Dartford days, scored an equaliser. It took a bizarre scramble in the box to allow us to retake the lead through Radcliffe (YP8).

Doncaster 0 - 0 Dorchester

Yet another red card for an opposing player. No winning goal, but did well to avoid conceding.

Dorchester 1 - 2 Barrow

Loads of chances, but conceded the first goal. I gave Ashton a chance to impress, with Hopper fatigued, and he got our first of the game, but we let Barrow retake the lead. Pity, but pleased for Ashton. I'm going to give him a few more chances ahead of Baverstock and Frear - who have been here for years without ever really progressing.

Scunthorpe 3 - 1 Dorchester

Scunthorpe took the lead, Blunt (YP4) equalised for us, but Scunthorpe took the lead again and then extended it.

Dorchester 1 - 3 Exeter

Exeter got the first goal and second goals, but we had far more chances. Hopper (YP7) got us back in the game before half-time, but Exeter scored again late on. Really should have won this game, nowhere near ruthless enough.

Luton 1 - 0 Dorchester (JPT South 2nd Round)

Played the reserves, to give the first XI a break before the match against Preston. Didn't do well, conceding chance after chance and it was no surprise when they took the lead.

Preston 0 - 4 Dorchester

Hopper (YP7) applied the finish from 3 yards out into an empty net, then from 20 yards out, and then picked the ball up on the half-way line and ran all the way down the pitch to complete his hat-trick, before setting up Ashton for an easy tap-in. Fantastic win to get us back on track.

Dorchester 2 - 3 Notts County

County scored an own goal, and then Williams (YP17) followed up with a header. They got themselves level by half-time, and then took the lead in the second-half, and we couldn't overturn them.

Bristol Rovers 2 - 2 Dorchester

Rovers opened the scoring, but we pulled level through a Hopper (YP7) penalty, and then took the lead thanks to Wearne. Rovers equalised to give them a fair result.

Dorchester 1 - 3 Shrewsbury

Shrewsbury took the lead through Leigh Griffiths, and Hopper (YP7) equalised for us in the second half, but Shrewsbury were too good and scored 2 more goals.

November 2024

Dorchester 1 - 2 AFC Wimbledon

Wimbledon went 2-0 up, but Western (YP13) hit back with a delightful chip after 16 hours without a goal. No more goals though, sending us to within a point of the relegation spots.

League Table

Up, Up and Up you go!
Well done on promotion! Got a tough season ahead though!

Just about hanging in there, not easy surviving with 4 relegation spots.
It's still a close table. A couple of wins and you're back in mid-table :thup:

Will be tough, but it's looking promising at the moment. As you say cerud, you can swing from relegation to mid-table safety from game to game at times. We're churning out results on a reasonably routine basis which is the main thing.

November 2024

Luton 1 - 0 Dorchester

Luton are doing well in the league, but we held them off for a long time. A terrible clearance by Bartlett allowed them to take the lead, and whilst we never looked like scoring, I was pleased with the defence who largely restricted them to long shots. Into the relegation spots now.

Dorchester 4 - 1 Tranmere (FA Cup 1st Round)

I warned Hopper that his place in the team was under threat, and he really took it to heart. We took Tranmere to pieces, showing what a 2 league gap means. Hopper (YP7) got us started with a terrific finish, and converted two penalties for our second and third, and his first-half hat-trick. Western (YP13) joined in after half-time, and though Tranmere pulled one back through a lucky scramble, they could take nothing away from a great performance.

Leyton Orient 1 - 1 Dorchester

Bryan (YP9) scored his first of the season, but Orient were the better side and equalised soon after.

Dorchester 2 - 0 Truro (FA Cup 2nd Round)

Another generous draw against BSP Truro. Hopper (YP7) opened the scoring from close range, and got his second after breaking the offside trap in the second-half.

December 2024

Dorchester 1 - 2 Wrexham

Hopper (YP7) got the first goal, but Wrexham captain John Bostock had a storming game and gave them the lead with two well-taken goals.

Wycombe 0 - 2 Dorchester

A defensive error laid it on a plate for Baverstock, deputising for the suspended Hopper, and Charnley got on the end of a rebound to secure a vital win, and take us out of the relegation places.

Dorchester 2 - 2 Ipswich

Ipswich opened the scoring, but Western (YP13) seized on some lazy defensive play to tackle the last defender and round the keeper, and Hopper (YP7) drilled the ball into the top corner from the edge of the area to give us an unlikely lead. Oliver Norwood smashed in a freekick from 35-yards to give Ipswich the point, but again, a decent result for us.

Carlisle 1 - 2 Dorchester

Hopper (YP7) put us in front, and Carlisle really should have equalised, but they never did. Fleming (YP19) scored our second after a great pass by Hopper to give us some breathing space. Carlisle eventually scored in the 91st minute, but we had enough left in the tank to hold on.

Dorchester 2 - 3 Swindon

Gave Ashton a chance in place of the tired Hopper, and he scored a great goal in the first-half, curling it into the top corner. Swindon raced into a 3-1 lead though, showing up some of the backups playing a rare game in the busy Christmas period. Baverstock pulled one back for us, but it was too little too late.

January 2025

Southend 0 - 0 Dorchester

A very dull match against relegation fodder Southend. Probably should've won, but given the squad fitness at the moment I'll take a draw.

League Table

January 2025

Dorchester 3- 2 Bristol City

Western (YP13) and Blunt (YP4) gave us an early lead, but Bristol scored to end the first half at 2-1. Charnley re-established the 2-goal lead in the second, which turned out to be vital when they scored again in the 89th minute. We held out though, another important win.

Middlesbrough 2- 1 Dorchester (FA Cup 3rd Round)

Middlebrough are probably the best they've ever been, winning the Premiership 4 years ago and still playing in the Champions League now. We were fantastic, preventing them from scoring until the 72nd minute. I was gutted, but we pushed forward in an attempt to get a lucky goal, and Hopkinson (YP18) headed in from a corner. I thought we'd done it, and pulled everyone back, but Boro scored the winner shortly afterwards. Heartbreaking way to lose, but a great performance against top opposition.

Reading 3 - 0 Dorchester

Very winnable match, but Reading took the lead, and then Blunt (YP4) was sent off for a last man challenge. We had no chance after that, and conceded another 2 in quick succession.

Bradford 4 - 2 Dorchester

Bradford got the first, but Tarr, in place of the suspended Blunt, struck back with the first goal of his career. After that, Bradford totally steamrollered us and absolutely nothing worked. Williams (YP17) powered in from a corner in the dying seconds, but it was no more than a consolation.

Dorchester 2 - 1 Stockport

Hopkinson (YP18) hit a fabulous opener from 25 yards, and Hopper (YP7) won and converted a penalty to celebrate his 300th league appearance. Clark scored an unfortunate own goal, but we held on.

February 2025

Dorchester 1 - 1 Burton

This is a great Burton side, and we really struggled, going 1-0 down early on. We kept battling though, and were rewarded with a Baverstock equaliser just before the end.

Oxford 2 - 0 Dorchester[/b]

Held 2nd-placed Oxford for a long time, but not long enough.

Dorchester 1 - 0 Doncaster

Doncaster are bottom of the league and doomed, so it was no surprise when Hopkinson (YP18) gave us the lead. I was more surprised when we failed to score again, but a clean sheet ensured a good day.

Dorchester 1 - 0 Scunthorpe

A very long time in coming, but in the 88th minute Blunt (YP4) bundled home a loose ball after a corner, giving us a very useful win against our relegation rivals.

Barrow 3 - 1 Dorchester

They're not a great team, but they made us look very average. We eventually managed to score through an own goal, but it was never going to be more than a consolation.

League Table

Two new inductees to the YP ranks:

neilcharnleyyp20overvie.png

Neil Charnley is now easily the best MR in the squad, and is first pick there every game. Really glad about him, I've been waiting for someone to stake a genuine claim on that position for a long time now after a lot of failures.

owenbartlettyp21overvie.png

Now first choice LB - we've gone through a few different options of late, but he's got a lot of potential and hopefully will keep improving.

Youth Intake 11 - 2024/2025

dorchestertownyouthcand.png

We're not exactly short in ST or DC, but all quality is appreciated. A keeper would've been nice, but I don't see the point in signing McGowan.

I'm going to sign players down to 2.5* potential now, as the squad is a bit thin on the ground, and 1.5* is sufficient to get a place in the squad if you're in the right position so they could still make it.

willhughesyp22overviewp.png

Hughes is the best player that has come through in a very long time. Only Blunt and Ashton have a full 5* potential in the squad at the moment, so he really is something special. Between Ashton and Hughes, Hopper could have a real run for his money in a couple of years' time! Very exciting.

March 2025

Exeter 0 - 3 Dorchester

Exeter scored an own goal inside 2 minutes, and Hopper (YP7) extended the lead not once, but twice. Edging ever close to safety.

Dorchester 4 - 2 Preston

Hopper (YP7) scored a brilliant goal from the edge of the area, but Preston equalised almost straight away. Blunt (YP4) came in with another vital goal, and completed a rare brace, before Radcliffe (YP8) marked his return from a broken leg with a goal inside 3 minutes of coming on as a sub. 10 points more and we should be safe.

Notts County 0 - 2 Dorchester

Looking increasingly likely that County will win the league, so this was always going to be a tough match, but Radcliffe (YP8) showed us what we've been missing with his second goal in his second appearance since returning, and he was immediately followed by Fleming (YP19) who crashed home a Hopper cross. Can't believe we did so well.

Dorchester 5 - 1 Bristol Rovers

We conceded first, but Rovers had a player sent off soon after, and Hopper (YP7) was first to capitalise, before sprinting the whole way down the pitch to set Haley (YP1) up with one of the easiest chances of his career, and converting a penalty for his second of the game, before Charnley (YP20) scored our 4th of the game, and Bance grabbed our 5th from range to complete a storming victory.

Shrewsbury 2 - 0 Dorchester

A horrific backpass by Bartlett (YP21) presented Shrewsbury with an easy opener, and then Greenwood (YP3) gave away a penalty. Never recovered from there, and didn't get a shot on target all game. Deserved victory, with Leigh Griffiths on great form again.

Dorchester 3 - 3 Luton

Got off to a bad start, conceding twice early on for the second game in a row, but this time Hopper (YP7) got us back in the game after a poor defensive header, and then equalised for us after half-time. Luton retook the lead late on, but this time Haley (YP1) came up with a low header to get us another equaliser.

AFC Wimbledon 3 - 1 Dorchester

Conceded a goal in each half, but Hughes (YP22) scored his first goal for the club with a great free-kick. Thought we were back in the game, but Wimbledon scored again. Hopefully the first of many for Hughes though.

Sadly, we've just lost Carey (YP12) for the rest of the season with a hip injury. Our backup keepers are awful by comparison, could be a tough end to the season.

April 2025

Wrexham 3 - 1 Dorchester

Yet again we conceded first, and whilst Charnley (YP20) got us level, we conceded twice soon after.

Dorchester 2 - 2 Leyton Orient

Took the lead through an own goal, but Orient got straight back in the game with a simple goal. Charnley (YP20) scored for the second game in a row, but again Orient drew level. Not a win, but another point closer.

Dorchester 4 - 2 Wycombe

Hopper (YP7) gave us the lead through a penalty, and then scored his 30th goal of the season before Charnley (YP20) got our third. We conceded our first of the game, but Hopper (YP7) then completed his hat-trick to send us 4-1 up. We let Wycombe get a second, but the victory was inevitable. Sadly Greenwood (YP3) suffered a broken ankle, and will be out until July.

The best part of the win though, is that it gives us guaranteed safety.

Ipswich 0 - 0 Dorchester

Ipswich are still challenging for automatic promotion, so we did well to draw away from home.

Dorchester 0 - 2 Carlisle

Feel like the side isn't really motivated at the moment. Never really looked threatening, and Carlisle eventually took the lead, and then went 2-0 up when we pushed for an equaliser. Now backup keeper Smeeton is injured as well, so we're down to 1 keeper.

May 2025

Swindon 2 - 1 Dorchester

Swindon scored early on, no surprise as they're still pushing for an automatic promotion spot in the final game. I thought we'd get a result, but the equaliser scored by Hopper (YP7) was rendered irrelevant by a 94th minute goal for Swindon, which gave them the automatic promotion spot they wanted so badly.

Season 11 - 2024/25

Competitions

League Table - League Positions - Not hugely impressive, but I'm very pleased to have survived in the league.

FA Cup - Great draw away to Boro, and a top performance against a top team.

League Cup - Unlucky to lose on penalties to Cardiff, and going out early probably helped us in the league.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - As per the League Cup really. Should have beaten Luton, but no real complaints.

Club

Finances - And this season, huge debts. Our costs have rocketed this year, and it could be very tough.

Facilities - Guttingly, our youth facility improvement was cancelled owing to lack of funds, so we're back where we started.

Players

Squad

Some of the older YPs really starting to look bad now - particularly McCormack, Benson and Cochrane down at the bottom there. We're still far too reliant on just a few players though - if anything happens to any of Hopper, Western, Blunt, Williams or Greenwood, we're in big trouble.

Nathan Haley (YP1) - Another good season, becoming precisely the reliable central midfield stalwart I've always wanted him to be.

Mike Greenwood (YP3) - I don't get why he isn't improving. Loads of potential, loads of opportunities, but still not quite doing the business. Unlikely that he'll lose his place any time soon though.

Ethan Blunt (YP4) - Another good season, invaluable.

Daniel Hopper (YP7) - Strangely enough, his worst average rating in a full season, but his best ever scoring record, with 32 goals in 49 starts. His goals were vital - to my mind, he was yet again our best player.

Harold Radcliffe (YP8) - Broke his leg half-way through the season, which wrecked his chances of a good season. Hopefully he'll be back in style next year.

Harry Bryan (YP9) - No more than a backup, his time is numbered.

John Carey (YP12) - Not bad, and he's supposedly reached his potential now. Got his first serious injury, and for the first time missed quite a few first team games.

Geoff Western (YP13) - Worst scoring record in over 5 years, and there's a lot of pressure on him from Ashton and Hughes. He'll have to improve to keep his position.

Jermaine Frear (YP14) - Now the 6th choice striker, I think I'll let him go out on loan next season to get some playing time.

Carmine Tubbs (YP15) - With the emergence of Charnley, he's fallen right down the pecking order. He'll be a backup from here on out.

Ross Burnell (YP16) - Decent without being impressive. It's clear he'll never be a great player, but he should have a lot of opportunities as backup unless we get some more DR/MR youths in the near future.

Greg Williams (YP17) - Almost identical to last season, could be a great player alongside Blunt but still a long way from that level.

Marcus Hopkinson (YP18) - Not a great season, like the others. I keep expecting him to improve, but it might take him a bit longer than I was thinking.

Callum Fleming (YP19) - Not a good season, and he's probably never going to make it as anything more than a backup. Very useful though, so he'll be here for the time being.

Neil Charnley (YP20) - I've been looking for an MR for ages, and now he's here. Bags of potential, and hopefully a long career at MR.

Owen Bartlett (YP21) - Stepped into the void left at DL, and had a reasonable season. Hopefully he'll grow into the role next season - he's certainly got the potential.

Will Hughes (YP22) - Could be one of the best players this club has ever had - only one goal this season in 9 appearances, but he should have chances next year to show his talent.

Nicolas Ashton (YP23) - Performed very well in his 22 appearances - only 4 goals, but then he only had 8 starts. I have very high hopes that him and Hughes can form the next generation of strikers at the club.

Former Players

Tadhg McCormack (YP2) - Went to York permanently, and played really badly. Kicked up a huge fuss about not getting enough games, and might be on his way.

Junior Cochrane (YP6) - I let him leave on a free to Nottm Forest, and he had his worst season ever.

Retired Former Players

Kenneth Adu (YP5) - Played 204 games but couldn't make the step up in league football and, failing to find a new club, retired at 22.

Ricky Benson (YP10) - Looked like he would be first choice early on, but was almost instantly played out of the team. Made 49 appearances, scoring 4 goals, but it was always clear his days were numbered.

Thomas Pryce (YP11) - Like Benson, he looked like he'd be first choice, but never really got much of a chance. He left for Salisbury eventually, but in 2 years made only 7 appearances and couldn't find another club.

August 2025

Stockport 0 - 1 Dorchester

Hopper (YP7) appropriately scored our first of the season - good win against a good side.

Cardiff 3 - 4 Dorchester League Cup 1st Round

We really couldn't match Cardiff in the first half, and they took a deserved 2-0 lead. Hopper (YP7) pulled one back in the second half, but we were immediately pegged back again. At 3-1 down, I thought we were out, but I pushed forward anyway, and successive goals from Hopper (YP7) and Western (YP13) brought us level, before substitute Radcliffe (YP8) slotted in a winner in the 90th minute to secure a sensational victory.

Dorchester 3 - 0 Port Vale

Wearne hit our first in the 2nd minute, and we went 2-0 up thanks to an own goal in the 16th. A Hopper (YP7) penalty completed another good win.

Exeter 1 - 0 Dorchester

Had a few chances, but nothing significant. Lost Hopper to injury for 3 weeks.

Dorchester 1 - 1 Coventry

As ever, Hopper's replacement showed his worth, Ashton (YP23) opening the scoring with a well-taken finish from the edge of the area. It was a balanced game, and when Coventry rounded Carey (YP12) for the equaliser it was no surprise.

Watford 3 - 2 Dorchester League Cup 2nd Round

Tough draw at Premiership Watford. They were slightly better, and got the first goal, but Hughes (YP22) scored from a freekick and then Williams (YP17) prodded us into the lead after a free-kick found its way into the 6-yard box. Watford weren't done though, equalising through a free-kick and then taking the lead through a corner. Can't help thinking we should have won this, it's a while since we've had a really good cup run.

Barrow 2 - 2 Dorchester

Started pretty badly, going 2-0 down, but Hughes (YP22) scored a tap-in from a cross to get us back in the game, and then in the dying seconds Burnell (YP16) equalised from close range after Barrow failed to clear their lines.

September 2025

Hereford 0 - 2 Dorchester (JPT South 1st Round)

Gave the kids a run out at League 2 Hereford, although "the kids" ceases to have much meaning in this challenge! Hughes (YP22) gave us the lead with a tap-in from a rebound, and Ashton (YP23) made it 2 in the second-half.

Bradford 2 - 0 Dorchester

Didn't look very threatening from the start. As always, I think we're finding our level with these last few results.

Dorchester 1 - 4 Oxford

Oxford scored the first, but Hopper (YP7) brought us level. After that, Oxford ran away with it, scoring 3 goals in a row.

Dorchester 3 - 1 Bristol City

Blunt (YP4) swept us into the lead against a Bristol City side in poor form, but they played really well and got an equaliser soon after. It took a very long time for us to get a grip on the match, but we did by the second-half, and Western (YP13) rewarded our good play with a slick finish, before Blunt (YP4) grabbed his second. First league win in 6 games - was getting a bit hairy down at the bottom of the table, but it doesn't take much to get into midtable.

Burton 2 - 1 Dorchester

An even first half ended 1-1, with Blunt (YP4) scoring his 3rd in 2 games, but despite creating a range of opportunities, we didn't have the killer instinct.

League Table

October 2025

Dorchester 1 - 0 Morecambe

Blew Morecambe away, but again struggled to score. Hopper (YP7) was the saviour of the match, but some better finishing would be really welcome.

Colchester 2 - 2 Dorchester

Away at 2nd placed Colchester, we were in for a tough game. Blunt (YP4) gave us the lead with a typically firm header, and Ashton (YP23), on for the injured Hughes (YP22), turned cleverly inside the box to double it. We let it slip in the second half though, and Colchester came back to equalise - not a bad result overall though.

Portsmouth 1 - 0 Dorchester (JPT South 2nd Round)

Tough match away at the League 1 promotion favourites, in a deserted Fratton Park as just 1,480 turned up. The youngsters played well, and were lucky when Portsmouth missed a penalty just after half-time, but Portsmouth always threatened and took the lead in the 56th minute. Unlucky defeat, but I'm not too bothered - JPT is not even close to being a priority at the moment.

Dorchester 3 - 1 Portsmouth

And again, this time in the league. We should have had the upper hand, with a fresh squad compared to Portsmouth who largely used the same players, but Carey (YP12) fumbled one into our goal early on. After that though, we moved into another gear, and Hopper (YP7) scored two in quick succession. We battled for every ball, every half-chance, and were rewarded with another goal in the second half from Wearne.

Reading 0 - 1 Dorchester

Against the run of play, Charnley (YP20) scored the first goal of the game, and despite 13 shots to our 2, Reading couldn't score. From the relegation spots to the playoff places - crazy league!

Dorchester 3 - 1 Scunthorpe

Wearne gave us the lead against the promotion hopefuls, and we should have recorded an easy win, but Scunthorpe scored with a fluked cross, and we needed a long ball for Western (YP13) to latch onto to give us the win, which was confirmed by Hopper (YP7) shortly after. 2nd in the league!

Wrexham 2 - 0 Dorchester

And back to earth with a crash. Never even threatened to take part in this game, we just let Wrexham walk all over us.

November 2025

Dorchester 1 - 3 Wycombe

Wycombe are running away with the league, 10 wins in 11 matches. We needed to pick ourselves up from the Wrexham game, but no such luck. We were absolutely slaughtered, our only bright spot a ridiculous toepoke by Charnley (YP20) when everybody in the Wycombe box forgot how to play football.

Shrewsbury 0 - 1 Dorchester

Hopkinson (YP18) got the only goal of the match, taking us to within a point of the playoffs.

Weymouth 1 - 2 Dorchester (FA Cup 1st Round)

A great draw, we played away at our fierce rivals Weymouth, who have only very occasionally made the lofty heights of the BSS. It was them though who started the game brighter, scoring a very early goal. We were the better side, and pushed hard, but really struggled to put the ball in the net. Charnley (YP20) finally got us a goal in the second-half, but it looked like a replay was on the cards until Western (YP13) broke away to claim the winner in the 86th minute, right in front of the delirious away fans.

Dorchester 1 - 1 AFC Wimbledon

Wimbledon took the lead almost straight away, but Hopper (YP7) hit an exceptional drive from outside the area to get us level. We should have taken the lead in the second half, but it never came.

Dorchester 0 - 1 Preston

I don't know how we failed to score in this game. Preston went 1-0 up through a freekick at the end of the first half, and we couldn't convert any of a multitude of chances. Hopper's suspension cost us dear.

December 2025

Dagenham & Redbridge 0 - 3 Dorchester (FA Cup 2nd Round)

Really took the BSS team to pieces, not giving them a single shot on target. Radcliffe (YP8) got us off to a great start, and then Hopper (YP7) doubled the lead with a penalty, then scored his 2nd of the game just before the end to seal a great win.

Hull 0 - 3 Dorchester

Hull aren't having a great season, but they've got a huge wage budget. Could be tough for them. Western (YP13) outmuscled the Hull defence and smashed the ball into the roof of the net, and Hopper (YP7) volleyed a Radcliffe (YP8) cross beyond the keeper, before slotting a typically well-placed shot beyond the keeper.

Dorchester 4 - 0 Bristol Rovers

Western (YP13) opened the scoring for us again with 2 well taken goals, against bottom of the league Bristol Rovers, before Hopper (YP7) made it 4 with goals either side of half-time. The challenge of a hat-trick was beyond both, but a terrific set of results - 10 goals in 3 games.

Ipswich 1 - 2 Dorchester

Another thundering start, with Hopper (YP7) slotting in after just 17 minutes, despite missing a penalty beforehand, and we utterly dominated for the entire match but struggled to put chances away and Ipswich appeared to have seized a smash-and-grab draw until Wearne tapped home a winner.

Dorchester 1 - 0 Bournemouth

Bottom of the table Bournemouth shouldn't have presented much of a challenge, but they made it tough for us - in the 76th minute Charnley (YP20) eventually broke the deadlock to give us the win we needed.

League Table

January 2026

Dorchester 2 - 0 Stockport

Western (YP13) battered his way between 2 defenders to smash the ball past the keeper, and in the second half Hopper (YP7) converted a penalty to complete another victory edging us to the top of the playoff positions.

Port Vale 4 - 1 Dorchester

Port Vale went 2-0 up in the first half, and although Western (YP13) pulled one back, Port Vale scored their 3rd and 4th goals after that. Woeful performance against the team in 22nd place, but after I ripped into them I'm hoping for a performance in the next game.

Dorchester 2 - 0 Southend (FA Cup 3rd Round)

Western (YP13) scored in the 1st minute, but it always looked as though League 2 Southend could get back into the game until Blunt (YP4) finished them off in the 76th minute. Through to the 4th Round!

Dorchester 3 - 1 Exeter

Exeter aren't doing too well in the league at the moment, and Charnley (YP20) capitalised on our early dominance after the keeper was caught in no-man's land, then Hopper (YP7) and Western (YP13) got a goal each to confirm the win. Good return in the league after the Port Vale game.

Coventry 2 - 1 Dorchester

Western (YP13) sneaked past the keeper and defenders to tap the ball into an empty net, but a Bartlett (YP21) own goal followed by a Thomas Ince winner ended our chances of getting a result. Still 6 points clear in the playoffs though.

February 2026

Dorchester 5 - 2 West Ham (FA Cup 4th Round)

Massive game at the Premier League side. Unbelievably, Williams (YP17) scored after just 12 minutes with a header at the near post from a corner, and then Hopper (YP7) tapped home from edge of the 6-yard box, after some great work on the wing by Radcliffe (YP8). West Ham pulled a goal back just before half-time, but Hopper (YP7) scored almost a carbon copy of his first goal to take us in 3-1 up at half-time. Just after the restart, Hopper (YP7) picked up the ball outside the area, jinked towards the centre, and fired past the West Ham keeper to complete a memorable hat-trick. West Ham pulled one back, and we pulled everyone back to see out the rest of the game... Ethan Blunt (YP4) didn't read that memo however, and crashed home a fantastic header to cap the best performance in Dorchester's history.

Dorchester 0 - 1 Barrow

Barrow were a much better side, and scored with a header just before half-time. Perhaps our exertions in the West Ham game made it a step too far. Hopefully we'll recover before the next round.

Dorchester 1 - 1 Bradford

Hopper (YP7) scored a sensational goal, sprinting past 3 defenders and firing the ball into the far corner of the net - thought we were back on track but we just couldn't convert our chances, and Bradford equalised soon after.

Oxford 6 - 0 Dorchester

Played the reserves against Oxford in preparation for the FA Cup match, and my goodness did it show. Striker Andy Holloway suffered an early injury, and then struck a first-half hat-trick... as you do. That wasn't it though. Absolute horror show.

And up next... Millwall in the 5th Round of the FA Cup.

League Table

Very handy cup run- a great result against West Ham! Got a good shout at a playoff place too :thup:

It was a brilliant game to watch, I was in disbelief the whole way through! I'm optimistic about the playoffs, but we're really struggling to keep up with the cup and the league as well. Not sure if we can still do it, but hopefully we can muster a late rally.

That'll be a massive cup tie.

Definitely. I'm not sure how to play it yet, but I'm thinking of just camping everybody in defence and hoping we can escape with a 0-0 draw. Depends if City play a youth team or not, but I'm optimistic that they will - they're challenging for the Premiership title, but sadly no Champions League. Not sure how keen they'll be to risk the main squad.

On the plus side...

Youth Intake 12 - 2025/2026

dorchestertownsquadplays.png

Fantastic intake this year, and with sensational potential. Only 3 players in the squad have a full 5* potential, and now there are 6 in the youth intake. It's really frustrating that they're all strikers though - I'm not at all short in that position, but I'm hoping to retrain some of them to left and right midfielders. A new keeper is very welcome as well, should provide some long-term competition for Carey (YP12).

gedscottoverviewprofile.png

Looks like a great prospect, and best of all he's competent at MR so I'll retrain him there to hopefully give Charnley (YP20) a run for his money.

February 2026

Dorchester 0 - 2 Burton

Still on a bad run in the league, and Burton are 2nd at the moment. We were totally steamrollered, and to cap a bad day, Radcliffe (YP8) was sent off for 2 bookable offences.

Dorchester 1 - 2 Colchester

Colchester aren't doing too well - should've been a good chance to set things right, but a tired squad started badly and Colchester went 1-0 up in the first 10 minutes. Some excellent work by Charnley (YP20) on the right wing allowed Bryan (YP9) to score his first of the season, deputising for the suspended Radcliffe (YP8), but Colchester retook the lead soon after and we couldn't get another goal.

March 2026

Bristol City 3 - 2 Dorchester

Greenwood (YP3) got Bristol off to a great start, heading in from a corner. We kept in the game for the first half, but in the second we really dropped off the pace and allowed Bristol to take control. Hopper (YP7) sprinted beyond the defence to get us an unlikely goal, and an own goal gave us a chance of getting back in the game, but that was it. Back to mid-table anonymity.

Portsmouth 1 - 1 Dorchester

Portsmouth have really fallen away since the beginning of the season, and we seriously need to end our losing run. Portsmouth started brighter though, and got the opening goal. Blunt (YP4) headed in an equaliser just before half-time, but we did well to get the draw. Hopefully next match we can turn it into a win.

Dorchester 0 - 4 Reading

Another horror show... went 3-0 down in the first half. We were a little better in the second, but not appreciably so.

Scunthorpe 0 - 3 Dorchester

Carey (YP12) was injured against Reading, so I handed a debut to youngster Lyndon Browne from the last intake - the first match he was eligible for, and an opening appeared! Hopper (YP7) slammed us into the lead, and then curled a second beyond the keeper's reach into the bottom corner. In the second half, Scunthorpe had a play sent off for an awful two-footed challenge, and then lost a player to injury to go down to 9-men, and Charnley (YP20) sneaked through the defence to secure a much-needed win.

Dorchester 0 - 3 Man City (FA Cup 6th Round)

City put out almost their strongest XI, and in all honesty I think we did well to keep it to 3 goals. Their team included the likes of Wilfried Zaha and Raphael Varane, plus one of the best central midfielders in the world who cost an eye-watering £43m in 2018. No shame in this defeat, and the £250k from the TV revenue was extremely welcome.

Dorchester 2 - 0 Wrexham

Hopper (YP7) scored a great early chip that was given to a Wrexham defender through a deflection, but I wasn't certain of the win until a very late Blunt (YP4) header. Hopefully we're back on track, but it'll be a real race for the playoffs.

Wycombe 3 - 0 Dorchester

Not the greatest fixture when we're trying to get a run going - Wycombe are running away with the league. We never had a chance, there's a real gap between their quality and the rest of the league.

April 2026

Dorchester 2 - 0 Shrewsbury

Hopper (YP7) ran from the half-way line to the end of the pitch, then laid the perfect cross on for Wearne to open the scoring. It was a close run thing, with Shrewsbury probably the better side, but Western (YP13) secured the win late on, before Shrewsbury went down to 10-men.

AFC Wimbledon 1 - 0 Dorchester

Again, a very even game, but this time it was Wimbledon who got the first goal. I would think that's ended our chances of making the playoffs.

Preston 1 - 0 Dorchester

Preston took the lead, and despite having a host of chances and most of the possession, we failed to equalise. The dream is now definitely over.

Dorchester 0 - 0 Hull

Despite Hull's lowly position in the league, they're still a big side with big budgets. We hit the woodwork a number of times, but for the 3rd game in a row failed to convert our chances.

Bristol Rovers 1 - 0 Dorchester

Same story. We conceded early on, but fought our way back into the game and played exceptionally well. No goals though.

May 2026

Dorchester 0 - 2 Ipswich

Hopper (YP7) missed a penalty early on, and Ipswich scored 2 goals. Feels like we can't even buy a goal at the moment.

Bournemouth 0 - 2 Dorchester

Finally, we scored! Hopper (YP7) kicked us off in the first minute, and then Western (YP13) got our second just after half-time. After a disappointing end to the season, at least we had a decent final game.

Season 12 - 2025/26

Competitions

League Table - League Positions - I'm inclined to blame the FA Cup for our collapse in the league, but I still think we should have done a bit better. Hopefully next season we can keep on form.

FA Cup - Brilliant run, absolutely delighted. A real pity we didn't draw City away from home, but there you go.

League Cup - Great game against Watford in the 2nd Round, and we very nearly won it. Not bad at all.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - Unlucky to lose against Portsmouth. I don't see the point in trying too hard in the JPT given the limited amount of money available.

Club

Finances - Still struggling. Not really sure how we're going to dig ourselves out of this financial hole, unless we earn a promotion next season.

Facilities - Still all the same, and no prospects of improving anything soon.

Players

Squad

That last youth intake has given us a lot of strength in depth. The squad should keep on improving for the next 5 years, with Haley (YP1) our oldest YP at 26 (Wearne is the oldest player at 29, but he wouldn't be a huge loss), and that bodes well for trying to progress beyond League 1.

Nathan Haley (YP1) - Not quite up to his standards of the last few years, Wearne played him out of the side at times.

Mike Greenwood (YP3) - The assistant manager finally decided that Greenwood had no more potential left in him, and I'm inclined to agree. In his first few seasons he looked like he would be immense, but he's not even close to Blunt. A decent youth in the next couple of years could easily bump him out of the first XI.

Ethan Blunt (YP4) - As always, a very good season, and one of our prize assets. There's a lot of interest, and he might be looking at a bigger club, but I've held onto him so far.

Daniel Hopper (YP7) - Very similar to last season. He can't reproduce the same kind of average ratings in League 1, but his scoring record is still very good, maintaining 1 goal every other game.

Harold Radcliffe (YP8) - I thought last year's broken leg wrecked his season, but this one was almost identical. Nowhere near as impressive as I remember him being, but still one of my best players.

Harry Bryan (YP9) - Useless, and he's kicking up a fuss. I like having him as backup, but I probably won't renew his contract after next season.

John Carey (YP12) - Ostensibly his best season for the club, and maybe that's true. With Lyndon Browne snapping at his heels, he'll have to keep impressing or lose his place.

Geoff Western (YP13) - Better in front of goal, but he's still not performing in alignment with his ability. Under massive pressure from all the young strikers, I think he'll lose his place soon.

Jermaine Frear (YP14) - Frear's career is over now - in 14 games for BSP Braintree, he scored just one goal. He's the 6th choice striker and there's no way I'd give him games ahead of the youngsters.

Carmine Tubbs (YP15) - Gone from a first teamer to an occasional reserve. I might let him go out on loan and play some of the young strikers at MR instead to give them more experience.

Ross Burnell (YP16) - Keeps making appearances, but only through the lack of any decent challengers. Sooner or later his time will come, but he's still very useful.

Greg Williams (YP17) - I'm really keen for someone to come in and challenge Williams, he still doesn't inspire me with confidence. We've got a few young central defenders, but they're really taking their time.

Marcus Hopkinson (YP18) - Not sure he's ever going to make it as a top player. He's still doing alright, but nothing like I've been expecting him to. He's a very useful backup though, and I can see him having a few more years with us at the very least.

Callum Fleming (YP19) - Didn't use Fleming much at all this season, with Wearne taking all of his opportunities on the left wing. With the lack of depth he's probably got at least a couple more years at the club though.

Neil Charnley (YP20) - Another decent season. I'm asking a lot of him, but he keeps churning out performances. I'd like someone better to push him, which will hopefully be one of the young strikers.

Owen Bartlett (YP21) - Slowly growing into the role as I'd hoped. If he keeps improving at this rate, he'll be an excellent player in a few years' time.

Will Hughes (YP22) - A broken foot wrecked Hughes' season, but the pressure's really on now.

Nicolas Ashton (YP23) - Not a great season, but he was almost exclusively a substitute. There's plenty of time left for him.

Former Players

N/A

Retired Former Players

Tadhg McCormack (YP2) - 223 league appearances for the club and was valuable if not impressive. Left for York after he couldn't make the team any more, but failed to impress, kicked up a fuss, and couldn't find a new club after he left - he retired at the age of 27.

Kenneth Adu (YP5) - Played 204 games but couldn't make the step up in league football and, failing to find a new club, retired at 22.

Junior Cochrane (YP6) - Never really made it at Dorchester, failing to hold down a long-term place. Had an unimpressive spell at Nottm Forest after he left Dorchester, and couldn't find a new employer, so he retired at 25.

Ricky Benson (YP10) - Looked like he would be first choice early on, but was almost instantly played out of the team. Made 49 appearances, scoring 4 goals, but it was always clear his days were numbered.

Thomas Pryce (YP11) - Like Benson, he looked like he'd be first choice, but never really got much of a chance. He left for Salisbury eventually, but in 2 years made only 7 appearances and couldn't find another club.

You're solid in the league and steadily progressing. Hopefully a playoff spot is in your future for next season!

That's definitely my aim, I certainly think it's achievable.

The good news is that Blunt (YP4) has now signed a new contract, but the bad news is that Hopper (YP7) is demanding to leave and I can't convince him otherwise. I've agreed to let him go at the end of the season, but hopefully he'll reconsider.

August 2026

Dorchester 2 - 2 Barrow

Barrow went 2-0 up, despite us being the better side. Spencer Paul, a young centre-back making his debut crashed home in the 86th minute, and then Bartlett (YP21) equalised in the 92nd. Not a great result overall, but a brilliant finish to the match.

Dorchester 2 - 2 Norwich (4-1 on penalties) (League Cup 1st Round)

Norwich were relegated at the end of 2025, but they're still a big side. We played on the counter, and Charnley (YP20) took advantage of the gaps in their defence to put us in the lead, then Fleming (YP19) rifled in from outside the box. Norwich were definitely the better side, and despite our best defensive efforts they fought back to equalise just before the end of the match.

Barnsley 1 - 3 Dorchester

Ged Scott has come on leaps and bounds over the summer, so I gave him a chance in place of Western (YP13) and he scored his first goal for the club after just 5 minutes. Barnsley equalised just after half-time, but Hopper (YP7) won and converted a penalty to get us back in the lead, and extended it after some great work by Charnley (YP20) on the wing gave him an easy finish.

Dorchester 4 - 0 Everton

How the mighty have fallen... easily the biggest side we've played in the league. They've not started well in the league, and they didn't start well against us, Western (YP13) tackling the last defender inside the penalty area and applying a simple finish past a disgusted keeper! Just before half-time, Hopper (YP7) scored a penalty, and then afterwards he hit a great shot from outside the area that sneaked beyond the keeper's reach into the bottom left corner. Williams (YP17) completed the rout with a close-range finish from a corner.

Reading 0 - 3 Dorchester

Charnley (YP20) rifled the ball back across goal from the right wing into the far corner of the goal, and Western (YP13) made it 2 to give us a great first half lead. Hopper (YP7) almost scored a sensational goal in the second half after beating the entire Reading defence, but made up for it with a delicate chip over the keeper.

Dorchester 1 - 2 QPR (League Cup 2nd Round)

The squad was suffering a bit, so I sent a young team out there, and they were taken to pieces. I brought on Hopper and Blunt late on, and Burnell (YP16) equalised in the 73rd minute, but Spencer Paul gave away a penalty to hand QPR the winner.

Dorchester 4 - 1 Bristol City

We dominated the game early on, and Hopper (YP7) put us in front from outside the area. Western (YP13) glanced a header in from a freekick, and though Bristol threatened to get back in the game with a goal, Hopper (YP7) re-established our lead, and Wearne completed another great victory.

September 2026

Ipswich 2 - 2 Dorchester

Hopper (YP7) opened the scoring, and Western (YP13) got our second, but on both occasions Ipswich equalised. They're bottom of the league, and we really should have won, but I can't really complain if we're not losing.

Dorchester 0 - 1 Shrewsbury

One of our first big matches, and we came up short. I'm inclined to think that automatic promotion will be too much of a push, but we might be able to make it through the playoffs again.

Brighton 0 - 0 Dorchester

And now another, against the league leaders. I'm pretty pleased with this result - restricted Brighton to very few chances and either side could have won.

Dorchester 1 - 0 Stockport

A slightly easier match to get back in the groove, and Hopper (YP7) got us started in the 7th minute. Didn't get any more goals, but the team played well and it's the result I'm worried about.

AFC Wimbledon 0 - 2 Dorchester

Wimbledon aren't having a good season, and Blunt (YP4) put them behind with an early header. We didn't put them to t he sword, but Hopper (YP7) got our second late on to secure the win.

Wrexham 3 - 1 Dorchester

Yet again, Wrexham frustrated us in the league. They went 3-0 up, and though Blunt (YP4) grabbed a goal late on, it was far too late to make an impact on the game.

October 2026

Dorchester 3 - 0 Brentford

Started with some great passing football, goals from Radcliffe (YP8) and Charnley (YP20). Ged Scott came on for Western when he was injured in the second half, and completed the win with a poacher's finish.

Stevenage 1 - 2 Dorchester (JPT South 2nd Round)

Gave opportunities to some of the less experienced players, and Scott gave us the lead through a first half penalty. Stevenage equalised early on the second half, but as I prepared for penalties, Ashton (YP23) poked home from a cross in the 92nd minute to win the match.

Swindon 1 - 4 Dorchester

Swindon opened the scoring with a great solo run, but some equally good work by Hopper (YP7) forced Swindon into an own goal to level the game, then an awful tackle on him took Swindon down to 10 men. Blunt (YP4) headed in from a corner, before Scott gladly took his opportunity to pass into an empty net, and Charnley (YP20) took his to head into an empty net. Great win that puts us top.

Dorchester 0 - 1 Preston

Big match against playoff hopefuls Preston, and a certain Jermaine Frear (YP14) made his return to Dorchester. He didn't play well, but Preston did. Not a fatal loss, but a frustrating one.

Morecambe 0 - 1 Dorchester

Exquisite chip by Hopper (YP7) to start the match, and we kept control right the way through.

Bristol Rovers 1 - 1 Dorchester

Williams (YP17) headed us into the lead, but we were totally outplayed by Bristol Rovers. Pity we didn't hold out until the end of the match, but a draw is a good result considering how poorly we played.

Dorchester 4 - 0 Bradford

Some great work from Scott put us into the lead, and Williams (YP17) headed in a second. In the second half both Blunt (YP4) and Charnley (YP20) headed past the Bradford keeper. Great to have another thumping victory.

League Table

November 2026

Dorchester 0 - 3 Colchester

60% of the possession, and a 3-0 defeat. Words fail me.

Dorchester 3 - 1 Exeter (JPT South Quarter Final)

Scott (YP24) got us started, Damianou capped a rare appearance with a stunning curler from outside the area, and Tarr made it three for the first half. We weren't as good in the second half, and conceded near the end, but a good win for the kids.

Kingstonian 1 - 2 Dorchester (FA Cup 1st Round)

Another opportunity for the kids, and another goal for Scott (YP24). Ashton (YP23) grabbed another for the young strikers' mob. We let Kingstonian pull one back, but the result was never in doubt.

Portsmouth 3 - 0 Dorchester

Totally outplayed by 2nd place Portsmouth - we're now a very long way off the automatic promotion spots, but still in the running for playoffs.

Dorchester 1 - 0 Bristol Rovers (FA Cup 2nd Round)

Another one for the kids, and a great debut for winger Carter-Harris who scored the only goal of the game.

December 2026

Dorchester 1 - 1 Southend (3-4 on penalties) (JPT South Semi Final)

At this rate, the first team will be struggling for fitness! Hughes (YP22) got himself on the scoresheet for the first time in a very long time, but the kids lost their nerve in the shootout, missing two. Was still close though.

Dorchester 4 - 1 Southend

Up against Southend again, but with the full team this time. Blunt (YP4) headed us into the lead, and Hopper (YP7) got his first goal in a while, immediately followed by a second. Southend scored one, but Radcliffe (YP8) made no mistake with his opportunity to seal the game.

Oxford 0 - 1 Dorchester

Hopper (YP7) hit the opener in just the second minute, and despite a range of opportunities for both sides, that's the way it stayed. Morale is high, things are looking good. I hope it continues beyond Christmas this time.

Dorchester 2 - 2 Scunthorpe

It was a long time in coming, but eventually Charnley (YP20) got us into the lead in the second half. Scunthorpe equalised, and Hopper (YP7) set them back again straight away, but again they equalised. 13 shots to 2, and of course Scunthorpe scored both. Total joke.

Lincoln 2 - 0 Dorchester

Lincoln are a good side, but we made them look great. Not best pleased with that one.

Barrow 1 - 1 Dorchester

To cap a run of bad performances, Barrow got the opening goal. We were never really in the game, but when Kieren Clark was sent off for a second bookable offence it gave us virtually no chance. Thankfully Fleming (YP19) headed us level, but still a disappointing result.

League Table

Oh, and we have a fairly huge game next week... :)

Looks like you held your own against Chelsea. League is going well too.

Yeah, we were actually really unlucky to leave "Chelsea Stadium" with nothing, and the league just keeps getting better and better.

Great Scott!

If that's about the performance against Chelsea, thanks! If that's about my latest youth product, then thanks, and a fine pun my good sir!

Not a bad effort against Chelsea. At least the gate-money you'll receive will help :)

Yup, around £1m including the TV money. I think drawing them in the 3rd round was great as well, I really don't think last year's run helped our league form - we're looking far stronger this year by comparison.

Archived