crazy new untested tactic - so far so good!

I love this tactic.

Just beat Madrid 4-1 in the Champions League

Well the new sweeper version may yet surpass the original tactic. So far, only a few games in i might add, it's looking even more solid at the back - so that 4-1 win against Madrid could be a 4-0.

My sweeper is mopping up all of the long balls meaning the opposing team try to play through me and my team crowds them out and i then retain possesion. I'm tinkering with going even narrower (but not too much so i give away space on the wings) so that i can stay a little bit more compact.

I'm also thinking off decreasing the pressing of my defensive players so they don't go running to the ball leaving the more forward players to try and regain possesion.

Well the new sweeper version may yet surpass the original tactic. So far, only a few games in i might add, it's looking even more solid at the back - so that 4-1 win against Madrid could be a 4-0. My sweeper is mopping up all of the long balls meaning the opposing team try to play through me and my team crowds them out and i then retain possesion. I'm tinkering with going even narrower (but not too much so i give away space on the wings) so that i can stay a little bit more compact. I'm also thinking off decreasing the pressing of my defensive players so they don't go running to the ball leaving the more forward players to try and regain possesion.

Looking forward to it when you have finished tinkering with it.

8 games into the league with Ajax and I have won all 8 and sit 8 points clear at the top of the league.

I played the under 19's in the Dutch Cup and we won 3-2

Played 2 CL games so far. The 4-1 win against Madrid at home and a 2-2 draw away from home against Dortmund.

Looking forward to it when you have finished tinkering with it.

8 games into the league with Ajax and I have won all 8 and sit 8 points clear at the top of the league.

I played the under 19's in the Dutch Cup and we won 3-2

Played 2 CL games so far. The 4-1 win against Madrid at home and a 2-2 draw away from home against Dortmund.

Come to think of it, your ajax team would be perfect for the new sweeper tactic as you have Vergothen in your team. I've had to sign Bocchetti whilst my young CB retrains as a sweeper. I've played around 10 games so far and have kept a clean sheet in all of my games.

I'm getting lots of 3 and 4 nil wins too, my aim is to go through the season conceding less than 10 goals. I've sold the deadwood and signed a lot of quality players (last season i only had 1 WBL and 1 DR in my squad so i made sure to buy more of the same types of players).

Now i'm really hoping to kick on in europe this season by going far in the champions league. It looks like you've got a really tough champs league group - great win against madrid followed up by a nice draw against dortmund, fait play to you. Let me know how you get on, it would be nice if you top that group.

How often do you rotate the tactics ?

I don't really change tactics at all, except to improve where I think necessary. 1st season I played throughout using the original tactic. Now I'm going to play the whole of the second season with the sweeper version. I wanted to create a plug and play tactic that removed the frustration of having to counter the oppositions tactics - like Barcelona in real life I suppose. It's more of a philosophy than a tactic

I've had to sign Bocchetti whilst my young CB retrains as a sweeper. I've played around 10 games so far and have kept a clean sheet in all of my games.

My favourite defender in the game.

When I was trying to do a Wenger with Liverpool ( balance the books and work with the youth ) I ended up selling Agger to Man City for £20m and brought Bocchetti in and he was a beast.

Looks interesting, I think I'll adopt it as a second tactic for the rest of my first season at Southampton. With the aim of signing players suitable for this tactic for my first season in the prem as I much prefer playing a tactic with an AMC.

ok i faced my first real test with my new sweeper tactic. I've still got some tweaking to do but as you can see from the stats, i totally outplayed the best team in the game and was unlucky to lose on penalties. They didn't create much but still scored 3 goals. I had to play my young 18 year old in the MCL position, no doubt if i had honda in the side it would have been a different story, but thats football folks. On a more positive note, i'm walking away with the league again.

I don't seem to concede in open play but the opposition score most of their goals from set pieces - strange, as this never happened with the original tactic and the settings are the same. A few more tweaks and i'll have perfected this - but it's still very much a work in progress at the moment.

2pzk6jb.png

position map of sweeper tactic

i20vid.png

I can see that the MCL position could drop slightly and the WBL could come in a tad to close the gap between him amd the DCL. This would make the tactic a little more solid. Scoring goals isn't an issue at the moment, it's conceding them that has been a slight problem. (I say a problem, i am conceding 0.35 a game which isn't bad - but i want to get this down to 0.20 per game)

next game against napoli where i tweaked the WBL position tucking him in slighty

34eb2o2.png

The WBL is now in line with the AML where as in the previous position map he is a little further to the left - this should hopefully make me more solid in the long term.

Ideally, i'd also like to get the MR positioned bang in the middle of the WBL & AML. At the moment the MR is around 65 to 70% towards the AML in contrast to the WBL. One tweak at a time though, this can wait for now while the new tactical settings bed in.

well that seemed to work. In my first champs league game away to napoli we absolutely battered them! We kept our strengths in attack yet seemed a lot more rock solid in defence. I'll keep this tactic now and test it for a further 10 games. Nice spread of goal too, where as in previous game, my poacher seemed to be getting 90% of the goals

2cdkea0.png

poachers stats so far - incredible return of 17 goals from 8 games in all competitions

23wo3tw.png

Hmm checking my squad I actually have a sweeper so I'll be interested in how this sweeper modification works out.

Hopefully i don't curse it - but i think the sweeper tactic is now complete. In the 10 games that i tested it i'm averaging about 4 goals per game and i have conceded only 2 which is exactly the same as my target of 0.20 goals let in per game.

I've uploaded the updated version of the sweeper tactic at the top of the thread for anyone that wants to play with it.

Changes made to the sweper tactic include:

Dropping the mentality for DC, SW, DR & DMC by 1.

Dropping the closing down setting of the DMC by 2 so that he stays closer to the DC

Narrower the width of the team by 2/3 so that it minimises the gaps in betweem players

Decreasing the passing length of all players, i've realised i need to be able to compete against the top teams - they all seem to play good possesion football so i'm going to have to follow suit if i want to replicate their success. Attacking players on 1st setting of direct have been changed to mixed passing and all midfielders have been changed to a shorter version of mixed passing, and defenders are now instructed to pass the ball around the back more so to draw the opposition on to me creating even more space to expose at the other end.

With the original version, I've found that by having the 2 centre backs as 'Limited Defenders' and their mentality as defensive, it seems a bit more solid.

I've never actually played with limited defenders. Might give it a go though if I can't achieve a great defence without it

What match prep do you use dude?

I Mostly keep it on attacking movement whilst occasionally changing it to defensive positioning or attacking set pieces when I perceive it to be a tight game. Set pieces when they have a small team ala barca or defensive positioning when they play 2 or more upfront.

Hopefully i don't curse it - but i think the sweeper tactic is now complete. In the 10 games that i tested it i'm averaging about 4 goals per game and i have conceded only 2 which is exactly the same as my target of 0.20 goals let in per game.

I've uploaded the updated version of the sweeper tactic at the top of the thread for anyone that wants to play with it.

Changes made to the sweper tactic include:

Dropping the mentality for DC, SW, DR & DMC by 1.

Dropping the closing down setting of the DMC by 2 so that he stays closer to the DC

Narrower the width of the team by 2/3 so that it minimises the gaps in betweem players

Decreasing the passing length of all players, i've realised i need to be able to compete against the top teams - they all seem to play good possesion football so i'm going to have to follow suit if i want to replicate their success. Attacking players on 1st setting of direct have been changed to mixed passing and all midfielders have been changed to a shorter version of mixed passing, and defenders are now instructed to pass the ball around the back more so to draw the opposition on to me creating even more space to expose at the other end.

Awesome :) Will be trying it when I get a chance

ok, the new sweeper tactic has now been tested over 15 or so games and i'm happy to say that i think it's finished. I'd like to test it in a new save just to be sure, as my players are quite good now and are coming of age where they are considered the best team in Russia.

I think i'm going to play as Brighton to see if i can win the championship with them (not going to sign anyone either) and maybe make a few tweaks in the prem just to see how it plays with an average team.

Going to have to leave the sweeper tactic for 2 in game months due to bocchetti's injury. Cosic , my young star CB who I'm retraining as a SW isn't ready to play that position yet so back to the original tactic so he can get some games under his belt. It gives me a chance to fine tune the original tactic too - as I've not looked at it in a while.

Unlucky, I'm currently undefeated using the sweeper tactic. Although I've only been using it for the past 10 games at the back end of the season during my first season in Southampton. One game of note though was the Carling Cup final against Stoke which I managed to win (abeit on penalties) :) It was roughly an even game but the defence held firm. Not bad considering I've only made a couple of transfers and I can hold my own against Prem teams.

I've changed the sweeper tactic back to playing direct football mainly because i am noticing a lot of teams playing 5 across the midfield against me and the short passing means we concede possession a lot more in dangerous positions. I've updated the tactic at the top.

Picked the original tactic up at the start of the second season with Leicester in the championship. Impressively won my first game 6-0 at home to Reading who were favourites for promotion, but after that gone on a losing streak which I can't seem to break now.

• 2 months later...

Archived