Gretna - I thought people got married there?

sherm

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 1-1 Partick

Scorers: Hannah

This was effectively the game that killed off our title ambitions, although I didn't want the boys to know I thought that. I encouraged them after the game to keep their chins up, as it was a game we did deserve to win, but we were still in with a slender chance. We couldn't afford any slip-ups though.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 3-0 Dumbarton

Scorers: Baldacchino, Grady (2)

Simon was back by my side after his attack, and the team really needed a lift. This was what gave it to them, and I let Si give the team talk before the game. It worked a treat becuase we were 3 up inside half an hour, and it would have been nice to score more and make a better goal difference to put pressure on Partick, but we took our foot off the gas in the 2nd half.

"It good to have you back Simon. You gave the lads a much needed boost and we got the win we really neede after a couple of draws. By the way, did you get any idea of a face of you attacker?"

"Nope, he had a balaclava on. He was big though, around 6'4 or 6'5 and well built. He gripped me like I was a little kid"

"Well it has to be linked with Dale. They have got you, got Dale so now they have to be after me. I've told Fiona to go and stay with her mum for a bit back in Manchester, till things cool off"

"Good idea that boss, very good idea"

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 3-2 Raith

Scorers: Tosh, Deuchar, Baldacchino

Ryan Baldacchino seems to have found his scoring boots at the back end of the season, and has chipped in with some timely goals, and he popped up with the winner here in the 83rd minute to give us all 3 valuable points. Make or break time. We had to win our last game and hope that Morton got a result against Partick.

Scottish 2nd Division

Gretna 0-1 Alloa

Scorers:

Our worst peformance of the season by a mile. We were cap, and we couldn't string more than 3 passes together. Alloa deserved to win by more and credit them for not handing us the 3 points. It wouldn't have mattered becuase Partick went 3 up inside half an hour, although 2 second half Morton goals gave them a scare. We have to go through the playoffs now.

The final table looked like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1 Partick 36 27 7 2 +67 88

2 Gretna 36 26 6 4 +51 84

3 Morton 36 20 10 6 +33 70

4 Raith 36 17 6 13 +5 57

5 Forfar 36 11 12 13 -7 45

</pre>

Scottish 1st Division Relegation Playoff, semi-Final 1st Leg

Gretna 3-0 Morton

Scorers: Deuchar (2), Graham

We almost certainly assured our path into the final, unless something goes drastically wrong. I had to make the difficult decision to rest a not fully fit Baldacchino, and play David Graham on the right hand side. It worked a treat, because he scored the vital 3rd goal. If we had gone in at 2-0 then they would still have had a sniff but 3 goals ahead almost guaranteed us our plce in the final.

"I think we are near enough assured Si, I think I might rest a few for the final"

"Alright boss, but not too many. We still got to do our stuff, becuase if they get 2 early goals we are in with fight on our hands"

"We are anyway Si, they wont roll over and die"

Scottish 1st Division Relegation Playoff, Semi-Final 2nd leg

Gretna 1-1 Morton

Scorers: Deuchar

With both teams pretty certain of the outcome this was not a pretty game, and a much changed Gretna side (only Deuchar, Graham and Hannah were regular starters) was able to hold out for an ordinary 1-1 draw. This means Gretna advance through to the final to play Ross County, who finished 9th in the 1st Division this season.

"Right lads, this is it! One game to make or break our season. We've worked so hard for this, now lets get out there and show these lot what we can do. We deserve to go up, you know it and I know it, so lets prove it. Come on the Black and Whites!"

"...and the teams enter the Hampden Park pitch to a roar of approval from the fans, with this 1st Division Playoff final about to get underway..."

Scottish 1st Division Relegation Playoff Final

Hampden Park, Glasgow

Gretna vs Ross County

We started the game in great fashion, Ryan Baldacchino making 3 runs down the right hand side in the first 8 minutes. He whipped a cross in from the 2nd run, which fell to Juanjo at the back post, but somehow he was blocked by a desperate last-ditch tackle. There was a little 15 minut period where Ross County started to come into the game a little bit, but then we showed our brilliance with a magnificent team goal. Tom Heaton rolled the ball to David Lilley, who played a fabulous 60 yard crossfield ball to Muirhead. Muirhead took on 2 defenders, got to the by-line and whipped a cross in low and hard. It fell to Kenny who had his back to goal, but he turned and rolled it into the path of Ryan Baldacchino who was steaming in on the right hand-side. Ryan hit a sweet right footed shot which flew into the bottom corner, and gave us the lead after 27 minutes. We had a couple more chances but it stayed 1-0 at half-time. I felt we had to be strong in midfield, as Ross County would come back at us, but in the 2nd half they started very limp, almost as if they were already beaten. We didn't get a chance until the 64th minute, but David Bingham took it really well, playing a neat 1-2 with Scott Muirhead and placing a left footed shot into the goal. 2-0, and we had a cushion now. This seemed to wake County up, and they started to really come at us and for a good 15 or 20 minute spell they looked like forcing their way back into the match. However, the match was complaetely done and dusted after 86 minutes. David Bingham broke free of the defence, and with only the goalkeeper to beat, cooly rounded him and slotted it home. Gretna would be playing 1st division football next season. YES!!!

GRETNA PROMOTED!

In a surprisingly one-sided final, Gretna overcame Ross County 3-0 to secure themselves a place in the Scottish 3rd Division next season. The 2nd Division club, led by manger Nicholas Simpson, stormed past Ross County to gain a fully deserved victory in the match at Hampden. Nicholas Simpson had this to say after the match:

"I am delighted. I would like to thank everyone asociated with Gretna Football Club for helping myself and the players gain our 2nd successive promotion, and one which is fully deserved. I just hope that we can make an impact in the 1st division next season, and show we are not just there to make up the numbers. We mean business and are willing to show that on the football pitch"

Nick and Simon at the end of the final

"Well Si, weve done it! Its been a long, hard tough season, but we have done it. And it was richly deserved i might add"

"Yes, it was. We've had a few incidents but concentrated on the job in hand and got it done. Now, lets hope England make it a double celebration by winning the World Cup"

"Not over here it wont be mate, not in Scotland1 Anyway, lets go and join the boys in celebration"

"Do you think he is worth the fee boss?"

"Well hes young, hes got talent and has played in the SPL. If he is willing to come i think we should grad him"

"Ok boss, i will check on him..."

GRETNA MAKE FIRST SUMMER SIGNING

Young Hibernian Full-back Jay Shields is set to join Gretna following a medical at Raydale Park. The fee is as yet unknown but is thought to be around the £20,000 mark. Shield has made limited appearances for Hibs and felt the move would allow him more First team opportunities

2 MORE NEW FACES AT RAYDALE

Nicholas Simpson has today brought in two new faces for his teams 1st Division campaign. Custodio is a Portuguese central midfielder who can play in the holding role or in the central midfield pairing. The 22 year old was purchased from Sporting CP for a fee of £16,000. Celso Ayala, the experienced Paraguayan International defender with over 50 caps to his name has also joined Gretna. Simpson will be delighted to have Ayala's experience and quality to help the younger defenders through

"Well, here we are, back again for another adventure into Scottish Football"

"Except this time, we are playing First Division football and testing ourselves"

"True, very true. How do you think we will do?"

"Depends how quickly the new lads fit in. The scottish lads all know each other but Celso and Custodio are new to the country. A few of the lads have taken them to heart and made them feel welcome, so thats nice to see. What about you Si, how do you think we will do?"

"I've got a funny feeling we might just shock a few people this season. I'm not making any bold predictions, but we will see"

"Fancy a good cup run this term?"

"Well again the league is going to be my priority but we will have to see what happens wont we? Hows training going?"

"I've been impressed with some of the new signings. Custodio looks excellent and he and David Dunn look an excellent pairing in the middle of the park. And Stephen McConalogue is playing well aswell. That kid can finish, no doubt about it2

"Good, lets hope we get a good start against Albion Rovers then"

Scottish Challenge Cup 1st Round

Gretna 4-0 Albion Rovers

Scorers: Juanjo (2), Dunn, Deuchar

We were terrific, and really showed the good form we had in training in this game. Albion Rovers didn't have a chance, and we ran riot. We created 26 chances, 23 of them on target, and debutant David Dunn earned himself a MoM award, and fully deserved. He created 2 goals and scored one himself, and even had time to showboat for our 4th goal. An all-round efficient performance from the boys, and we never had to get out of 2nd gear

"Well it would be nice to win. They think they are a better side than us, and it would be nice to prove them wrong by beating them"

"Will be a tough game boss, especially if they want a good start to Division one life"

"I think they will struggle Si, I really do. Lets make them start with a defeat"

Scottish 1st Division

Gretna 2-1 Partick

Scorers: Deuchar, Juanjo

We were the better side, and fully desrved the 3 points, despite what the bitter Partick manager said. We showed Partick, and everyone else, that we were ready to make that step up in clas,, but were Partick ready to make that step? I seriously didn't think so, and Juanjo's 3rd of the season just after half time sent them tumbling to defeat. Good start from the lads, and a solid performance

"...it was a good win boss, we played really well and were really solid at the back. Juanjo looks to be starting well"

"I might have to move him to midfield for a bit, with Ryan and David Graham's injuries, but he can create for us there"

"Lets get a good start to the season, and a decent enough run"

Scottish League Cup 1st Round

Gretna 2-2 St. Johnstone (4-3 on pens)

Scorers: Graham, Caulfield OG

This was the first time we met St. Johnstone, and the new chairman was my old mate Sean McDowell, the journalist from the Gretna Echo. I felt he had something to do with Simon and Dale's attacks, but i couldn't prove anything. The game itself was a fantastic affair, end to end for 90 minutes, and then for the 30 minutes of extra-time. No-one could break the deadlock so Penalties decided the game. Each side took an incredible 1 penalties, with St Johnstone missins the deciding penalty to send us through to the 2nd round. Belting game, good result, and shocking exhibition of penalties.

"I have never seen a worse exhibition of penalties. Each side took 13, and we only scored 7 between us"

"Yes but we're through though, so thats all that matters"

"You're right, lets keep this run going"

"...did you hear McDowell after the game? He was complaining about the referee, saying they were robbed as ou first goal was offside"

"Rubbish. Hes a sore loser. What else did he say?"

"He cant see us doing well in the 1st Diviison and we might go straight back down"

"Really? I think the squad might have something to say about that. Lets prove him wrong"

Scottish 1st Division

Gretna 1-1 Brechin

Scorers: Deuchar

Another solid performance again today, both teams cancelled each other out so a draw was probably a fair result. We took the lead through a fine individual goal from Kenny, but to their credit Brechin scored 3 minutes later and thats how it stayed until the final whistle. We seem to be a lot more solid this season, and should concede less goals.

"...they might not be going too well Si, but they are still a dangerous proposition. In this division, no game is easy"

"Yeah you're right boss. Still, with their squad they should be pushing for promotion, not fighting relegation"

"Im sure, but its up to us to keep them down there for today"

Scottish 1st Division

Gretna 2-1 St. Mirren

Scorers: Bingham (2)

We were the best team out there today, though the scoreline suggests it was a lot closer than it actually was. We took the lead on the stroke of half-time, after countless attempts on goal, with a well taken goal from David Bingham. He scored again in the 76th minute, and though St Mirren pulled a late goal back, we were never in danger. Good win for us today, and good performance from the boys

Challenge Cup 2nd Round

Gretna 1-2 Clyde

Scorers: McGinty

We weren't at the races today, and deserved to get beaten. We started brightl, and took the lead in the opening 20 minutes, but we just got complacent after that and allowed Clyde to come at us. We paid the price for some sloppy marking on set-pieces, as Clyde scored 2 headed goals in the second half to send us crashing out of the competition. We were disappointing, and i wasn't happy with the lads

"What is it with this lot, we just cant seem to beat them. Thats 3 games now, and we havent beaten them in any of them!"

"I know its a jinx we need to get rid of quickly, considering they are in out division"

"We didn't deserve the win today, but i dont know if the players realise we havent beaten them yet though"

"I don't know boss, maybe they do, and its a psychological thing"

Scottish 1st Division

Gretna 3-1 Dundee Utd

Scorers: Baldacchino, Custodio, McConalogue

Stephen McConalogue had not played a game for us becuase of injury this season, but he was back fit for this game, against the club who we signed him from. He was only there 5 months, but they made it clear top him he was for the future, and he wasn't happy there. He desperately wanted to start, but we both agreed he would sit on the bech as he had only just go fit. We outplayed the recently relegated side from start to finish, but we were only 2-1 up with 10 minutes left. We had scored our 2nd on the 65th minute, just before I introduced Stephen to the game. It was Stephen however, who fittingly got the 3rd goal, that sealed the game and all 3 points for us, and we showed what we were made of and that we could hold our own against a top team.

"...well we gave a real good account of ourselves out there today, really good. It was nice to see Stephen McConalogue get the goal on his debut against his old team, he was really chuffed"

"If we play like that all season then i don't see why we cant go up to the SPL. That is our best performance yet"

"It certainly was Si, it certainly was. What you doing tonight, fancy a night in the Gretna Arms?"

"Yeah, sounds like a good idea. I fancy a few drinks"

Scottish League Cup 2nd Round

Gretna 4-1 Berwick

Scorers Bingham (2), Baldacchino, Deuchar

This was a walk-over, we never had to get out of 1st gear. Berwick were awful, and they scored through a David Lilley own goal. David Bingham scored twice in 8 minutes, with Ryan and Kenny rounding off a superb team performance, and sending us through to a 3rd round tie with....Clyde (again, 4 times in cup competitions now)

Archived