Sweeper-Keeper with a High Line

I've seen some tactics on various forums insist that one should always play a sweeper-keeper when the defensive line is higher up the pitch, while others say it's not necessary.

Is it a good idea? Does it depend on the roles I assign to my central defenders? What goalkeeper attributes should I look for if I want to play a sweeper-keeper?

Thanks!

It's a good idea if the keeper is suited to the role and you have the defensive line high enough (at least 14). I'd say the attributes needed are:

Communication - Let's the defenders know that he's coming out and to get out of the way whilst I smack this back the other way

Eccentricity - Not too high but high enough that he'll feel comfortable enough to be out of his area

Rushing Out - Needs to rush out to sweep

Anticipation and Decisions - Will need to be able to know when it is a good idea to come out and anticipate where the ball will be, if the ball will bounce awkwardly and such

Composure - Being able to be comfortable out of the area and on the ball to make a better decision when sweeping

Acceleration and Pace - The quicker he is the quicker he will be able to get to the ball, simple.

Hopefully that gives you and idea of who to use and where to use it.

I always thought eccentricity was a bad attribute, and you want it to be as low as possible.
For a sweeper keeper you need a little bit of eccentricity but I wouldn't say anything more than 10, otherwise the keeper will start to do some daft things. Maybe he doesn't need it and I haven't extensively tested it but the highlighted attributes suggest that a sweeper keeper should have some eccentricity and I would agree with it.

I always thought eccentricity was a bad attribute, and you want it to be as low as possible.
I have always looked upon the attribute as to how unpredictable the keeper is, kind of like flair for an outfield player, he will attempt a lot of strange stuff which will be brilliant if it works but possibly less so if it dont

Archived