The Rise of the Cerud

cerud

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats on 3rd and other than the cup, a very good season in all. A nice platform to take into the next season, and like you said, a couple of additions to cope with the extended fixture list would be ideal.

Thanks, Mikal! The cup was disappointing, but also revealed what we were in need of in the squad. Not too worried about the fixture list. This league is not even half the number of games as when I was in Brazil!

Been a while since I've been around here due to one thing or another but it looks like things are still going well here cerud :thup:. A steady season as Mikal says apart from the cup. Hopefully you can push on next season and have some success in Europe too.

Good to hear from you, Raware :) Hope that the Europa League is a good run next year too.

Good season overall,the finish this season shows that you can hang with the big boys and hopefully you can build from there.

Thanks, BWG. Those big boys are giants to knock down, but with a big enough rock...

17 June 2015

1231.jpg

PAOK Disclose Interest in Cerud

With the retiring of longtime manager Angelos Anastasiadis, PAOK Chairman Zisis Vryzas has declared an interest in Cerud, currently managing in the Netherlands' Eredivisie. Cerud, who has just recently brought sc Heerenveen into the frontfront of Dutch football has been wanted to many clubs recently, from as far as Argentina and Russia. Cerud was unavailable for comment.

rumour.png

Then...

22 June 2015

Deal Rumoured for Cerud

While no mention has come from the Cerud camp, rumours persisted that POAK have tendered a formal offer for the Canadian manager. Cerud has made the rounds in football, beginning in Brazil before heading to Russia and the Netherlands. He has also managed in the national side wtih Costa Rica. The deal, rumoured to be an attractive offer, was comfirmed by unnamed souces in the back office of POAK.

Cerud declined to comment earlier today, stating that he was aware of the offer but had not seen it as of yet.

realr.png

offere.png

Not too sure what to do. I said that I would play this career making the decisions that I would if it were actually me. This is a better offer in terms of wages for me. PAOK's finances are listed as secure; however, they do have a $10.75M loan debt. Their stadium is comparable to sc Heerenveen's. The wage budget is smaller by about $1M but the transfer budget is much bigger.

Suggestions? Given everything, I'm inclined to stay. The wage increase for me is not a lot and I don't know if playing in Greece has much to offer over the Netherlands. I also compared the leagues: the Dutch Eredivisie is ranked 10th in Europe whereas the Greek Superleague OPAP is 11th.

Tough decision, but I'd be inclined to stay at Heerenveen. There's not really too much PAOK can offer you that you don't have in the Netherlands, besides a bigger pay packet. Whereabouts did PAOK finish last season?

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference or enough of a difference to tempt you so unless it's a desire to manage in Greece then i'd probably stay. Greece is always somewhere I've meant to play in though :)

I will echo the others and also think you should stay with Heerenveen. That being said, I've never played in Greece so it could make for a nice change, if that's the sort of person you are. How have they done domestically (and in Europe if they've qualified)?

Tough decision, but I'd be inclined to stay at Heerenveen. There's not really too much PAOK can offer you that you don't have in the Netherlands, besides a bigger pay packet. Whereabouts did PAOK finish last season?
There doesn't seem to be much of a difference or enough of a difference to tempt you so unless it's a desire to manage in Greece then i'd probably stay. Greece is always somewhere I've meant to play in though :)
I'd probably stay at Heerenveen as you came close to knocking the big boys off the top and with another season,you could possibly do it.
I will echo the others and also think you should stay with Heerenveen. That being said, I've never played in Greece so it could make for a nice change, if that's the sort of person you are. How have they done domestically (and in Europe if they've qualified)?
I'd be inclined to stay. 3rd place is a great start in Holland and with a European campaign to look forward to next season it is just too early to jump. There could be some good years ahead :D
It's a lateral move. You're not going to team like Olympiacos or Panathinaikos who are always favourites to win a league title so I would stay too.

Yeah, pretty much everything that I was thinking. It is very much a lateral move. PAOK finished 4th last year, roughly similar to us. I'm looking to stay at sc Heerenveen unless a very good offer comes through.

Nice work qualifying for Europe there Cerud.

Thanks, Nobby!

28 June 2015

globeandmaillogo.jpg

Interest Rises in Canada for Cerud as Hart Exits

After a less than stellar performance at the recent Gold Cup, Stephen Hart has resigned as the manager of the Canadian National Soccer Team. The interest was immediately reciprocated as Cerud spoke to media outside of a training centre for sc Heerenveen, the club he manages in the Netherlands' Eredivisie.

"When your home nation asks you to serve, you do it. Stephen Hart has lead Canada for close to a decade and to see him leave is surprising. I don't think any of use were expecting it to happen. Yet he is gone and a job must be done. I would absolutely welcome the opportunity to do it."

Cerud has previously managed the Costa Rican national team in 2013, leading them to a silver medal in that year's Gold Cup.

jobog.png

canadad.png

28 June 2015

globeandmaillogo.jpg

Cerud Named New Manager of Team Canada

Standing in front of BC Place in Vancouver, Canada, Cerud officially took over as the Canadian manager for the national side. This marks a new direction for the Canadian team as they prepare for the World Cup in 2018. While Canada has yet to play a qualifying match, the first round has already begun with several Central American and Caribbean nation fighting for a spot.

"I'm absolutely thrilled to manage Team Canada. This is one of those highlights of any career, where you get to be involved in the hopes and dreams of your nation. Soccer is a growing sport in Canada, with more children playing it than any other sport in the country. Our players are able to compete on the international stage, but require unity and consolidation in order to succeed. Make no mistake, this is a long term project, one that I intend to see through."

canadayu.png

logo.png

Canada National Soccer Team - Canadian Soccer Association

I wasn't expecting this job to come available, but I always knew that I would take it if I could. I intend to try and see Canada through to the World Cup, something that has not been done since 1986, the only time Canada ever qualified.

The Stats

FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Qualifiers: Reach the 3rd Phase

CONCACAF Gold Cup: Already eliminated

Capital City:Ottawa

National Population: 34.18M

Rival Nations: United States, Honduras

Agreements: None

FIFA World Ranking: 91st

National Stadium: BMO Field

Stadium Capacity: 23 000

Here's BMO Field in Toronto, Canada.

c5d60b224412a082ff8a9fc55ea5.jpeg

Top Players

Junior Hoilett - M R, AM RL - Currently plays for Everton in England's Premier League. Is their starting right winger.

Will Johnson - M/AM RLC - Currently plays for Derby in England's Championship League. Is the starting left winger.

Bryce Alderson - D C, DM - Plays for IF Göteborg in Sweden's Allsvenskan. Is an up and coming centreback and is beginning to start the majority of matches.

Marcel de Jong - D/M/AM L - Currently plays for Mainz in Germany's 1. Bundesliga. Doesn't see as many games as I would like.

Josh Simpson - M/AM L, ST - Plays for the Young Boys in Switzerland's Axpo Super League. He is one of their main players.

David Edgar - D C, DM - Currently plays for Burnley in England's Premier League as a starting centreback.

2015-2016 Pre-Season

161461_100000944431146_6122256_n.jpg

sc Heerenveen - Eredivisie

The Stats

Eredivisie: Qualify for the UEFA Europa League

UEFA Europa League: Reach the group stage

Media Prediction: 5th of 18

Betsson Title Odds: 16-1

Wage Budget: $14 186 016 (+$174 720 from last year)

Currently Spending: $12 944 922 ($1 241 094 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $3 811 576 (+811 098 from last year)

Main Kit Sponsorship: $2 151 699 (expires 2016) (+$31 091 from our last deal)

Additional Kit Sponsor: $215 000 (expires 2018) (-7 000 from our last deal)

General Sponsor: $210 000 (expires 2018) (new deal)

TV Rights: $3.37M (-$80 000 from last year)

Average Ticket Price: $30.30 (+$0.40 from last year)

Average Season Ticket Price: $474 ($68 from last year)

Season Ticket Holders: 19 430 (+1 531 from last year)

Estimated Value: $25.5M (-$4.5M from last year)

National Club Ranking in Netherlands: 8th (-1 spot)

Goals

• Qualify for the UEFA Europa League.
  • Make Quarter Finals of KNVB Bekker Cup.
  • Qualify out of UEFA Europa Group Stage
  • Make a profit.

Our goals are similar to last year because we have the added pressure of being in the Europa League. I don't want to slip backwards, but I was to ensure that we at least maintain our level. I'm still in the process of adding to the squad. I think we're stronger than last year. Hoping for a couple more signings.

14 July 2015

concacaf.jpg

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers 2nd Phase

The 2nd Phasse of qualifiers for the World Cup has started and this marks Canada's entrance into the fight. Here are the following groups for this stage of the qualifiers.

Group 1: Cayman Islands, Cuba, Grenada, Haiti

Group 2: Barbados, Dominican Republic, Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago

Group 3: Bermuda, Canada, El Salvador, St. Vincent & The Grenadines

Group 4: Bahamas, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia

Group 5: Antigua & Barbuda, Guatemala, Suriname, Turks & Caicos

Group 6: Belize, British Virgin Islands, Curaçao, St. Kitts & Nevis

Board Expectations

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers: Reach the 3rd Phase

2015-2016 End of Pre-Season

The Matches

Finland - Kakkonen A - Pallokerho-35 Vantaa - tied 1-1

Netherlands - Eredivisie - Feyenoord Rotterdam - won 3-0

Belgium - Jupiler Pro League - K Racing Club Genk - won 3-0

Germany - 3. Liga - RasenBallsport Leipzig - won 2-0

Germany - 2. Bundesliga - MSV Duisburg - won 3-0

Belgium - Jupiler Pro League - Sorting Lokeren OVI - won 4-0

Netherlands - Eredivisie - FC Twente - won 2-1

Netherlands - Lower Division - ZAC Zwolle - won 12-0

The Players

Squad | Transfers - More movement out than in. We've brought in some younger and better able talent and gotten rid of a few players who were not being used or were past their prime. Two new players stand out.

Mouhammadou N'Diaye - D C - N'Diaye played for Vit. Guimarães in Portugal's top league for the past 3 years. He will be a starting centreback and mentor to a couple younger up and comers.

Suk - ST - Suk has spent his entire career in the Eredivisie, first with Ajax and most recently with FC Groningen. Our fans are a little leary of him coming over to us given that FC Groningen is a fierce rival, but I think he will be a great player for us. I also feel that he was being underused and is a talent in disguise.

Pre-Season Thoughts

We had a great pre-season and now we're ready for the real thing. The Europa League should be starting up for us soon as well, so it will be a very busy schedule for the first few months. We have cover and a decent squad. Our only potential hole in in the left wing. I was unable to bring in a player, including who we had on loan last year. I may have to wait until January to take take of that. I do, however, have a couple youth players who were just recently promoted to our reserve team that are considered to have excellent potential in that spot. They may be getting a few call ups to see how whell they perform.

Suk's a bit of a surprise.

I like his Determination and physical stats. Hope that helps balance with slightly weaker skill.

Good luck for the forthcoming season.

Thanks, SRL88!

August 2015 Update

Eredivisie

A mediocre start to the season. Both of our ties were lucky for us, having to come from behind on both games. Still, we haven't lost, which I will take. Our goals against is again a concern; however, no blow outs like last year yet. They have been coming from centreback mistakes. I have two very good ones who are young and in training. Perhaps they need a little more help.

fixn.png

UEFA Europa League

We drew Celtic from Scotland. Horray!! We won the first match with a solid hattrick by Suk. The second match was a stunner when we fought back from a defict to win 5-1.

Oh wait. None of Suk's goals counted and we only won the second game 2-1. In all, we had 6 goals disallowed and the sport just won over yet another angry manager for goal line technology. If every single other sport in the world with a goalline can figure out how to incorporate it, surely football can. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be retroactive so I am now out of the Europa League.

europam.png

The Standings

standi.png

We're sitting in 3rd Place, where we ended up last year, only one point down from 1st. However, both Ajax and PSV are lower than us, which means that nothing can be discovered from only 4 matches. We'll see after another month or two. I wish we were in the Europa League still, but I guess it gives us enough time for the league and the upcoming KNVB Cup.

You can do it, but need to find a way to tighten the defence. The 2 draws so far haven't proven costly, but will do if you don't match Ajax and PSV from here. Good luck!

Thanks, Northernpilgrim. You're right; I need to minimize our defensive mistakes, especially in those big upcoming matches. Unfortunately, my great rightback has decided our club is too small. I'm trying to hold onto him, but I may need to do something about that soon.

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

FIFA World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - 2nd Phase

The World Cup Qualifiers begin for Canada! We have a fairly easy group, but Canada has always had problems in qualifying. It's my job to change all that.

4 September 2015

428187847.png1326902812.png

2nd Phase

El Salvador 0 - 7 Canada

This was my second match with Team Canada, the first being a friendly warm up. This match broke the record for Canada's biggest win as well as for the most goals in a match by a player for Simeon Jackson (he had 4). El Salvador's single shot didn't come until the end of the match.

8 September 2015

1326902812.png571471877.png

2nd Phase

Canada 3 - 1 St. Vincent & The Grenadines

Another match in which be dominated. We were controlling the match easily, but were not able to take the win until the 76th minute.

Doing a rancer I see and taking charge of your home nation :D. Looks like a 'decent' start to life with Canada! As for the club side of things, tough luck in Europe. How the hell can you have 6 goals disallowed?! Was the referee Irish? One thing's for sure though...Suk doesn't suck at all! :o

Doing a rancer I see and taking charge of your home nation :D. Looks like a 'decent' start to life with Canada! As for the club side of things, tough luck in Europe. How the hell can you have 6 goals disallowed?! Was the referee Irish? One thing's for sure though...Suk doesn't suck at all! :o

Yeah, the goals disallowed were annoying to say the least. However, at least it was only a blip as the rest of the sc Heerenveen campaign is going well. I could have really used the price money though. The Canadian life is going great so far! I've had 3 matches so far (1 friendly, 2 WCC) and all dominant wins. I've also improved the Canadian FIFA rank by 26 spots in a couple months :)

September 2015 Update

Eredivisie

Still undefeated in league play this year. The tie against PSV was a little annoying as we were winning. They hit the tying goal with about 10 minutes to spare. However, on a positive note, was also got our first clean sheet; hopefully it is the beginning of a few more!

fixid.png

KNVB Bekker Cup

Our first match in the main Dutch domestic cup was against Argon in the Topklasse Zondag, in the 3rd tier of Dutch football. It was a match that we were expected to easily win and we did. Moving on.

knvb.png

The Standings

standx.png

We've pushed our way into 2nd place, but the field is still very congested. PSV and Ajax have both also begun to climb up from their slower starts and move into more respectable league positions. I'm happy in our goal progress; we're top in scoring and our goals against is becoming more normal for a club in our league position. Next month should mark a third of the season completed already. Hopefully, a couple teams will begin to fall off the top of the pack and the standings table will become more manageable. However, it's still every match counts!

Very good start but it is extremely close between 1st and 5th,hopefully you can take advantage of any slip ups and pull away from the pack.Also seems to be a good start to life as Canada manager :thup:

Good start, hopefully you can stay right up there.

Thanks, deltablue!

Very good start but it is extremely close between 1st and 5th,hopefully you can take advantage of any slip ups and pull away from the pack.Also seems to be a good start to life as Canada manager :thup:

Yeah, the table is very tight and I expect it to remain like that for a bit yet. The Canadian side of things has been a walk in the park so far. We have just qualified for the 3rd phase, but this means that teams such as Honduras, Mexico, and the United States are now involved.

What a cracking start :thup:.
Great start in the league

Thanks, SRL88 and markyosullivan :)

9 October 2015

1326902812.png237085969.png

2nd Phase

Canada 5 - 0 Bermuda

Apparently, Bermuda figured that they were too good for us, so they graciously helped us out by gifting us 2 own goals. Very generous of them.

13 October 2015

1326902812.png428187847.png

2nd Phase

Canada 5 - 0 El Salvador

Simeon Jackson was on fire with a hattrick in the first half. I substituted him in order to give a youngster a his first cap. These qualifiers have been good for that. A few new Canadian players have been awarded their first caps.

And with this, we have now qualified for the 3rd Phase of the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers. However, we still have 2 matches left to go before that starts.

Some nice results in the qualifiers there. Great start in the league - is there enough for a title push?

The qualifiers have been easy, but it's only the 2nd Phase. The later phases will be harder. As for a title push, it's been going well and I'm optimistic of being there towards the end :)

October 2015 Update

Eredivisie

A perfect month, including 3 clean sheets. We were lucky to eke our a win against Vitesse, right now our main competitor. It was tied 1-1 until the final moments of extra time when we hit a perfect corner just before tiem expired. We are now on the best undefeated run in the club's history and it doesn't look as though we're about to end it.

fixqz.png

KNVB Bekker Cup

WKE is in the Topklasse Zondag, just like our last competition. While we didn't win by as much, it was still enough to move on.

knvb.png

The Standings

stande.png

Our run of good form has been enough to move us into 1st Place. However, it's difficult to fully gauge where we stand because other teams haven't played as many matches as we have. We're still undefeated in the league, which is great. Everything from goals for and against is pointing to this being a season that could continue on in this way for a while.

13 November 2015

571471877.png1326902812.png

2nd Phase

St. Vincent & The Grenadines 0 - 4 Canada

St. Vincent tried to play a possession game, sticking to the outsides and passing the ball around. They were able to control for a bit, but theye could never get in for a decent shot.

17 November 2015

237085969.png1326902812.png

2nd Phase

Bermuda 0 - 6 Canada

Simeon Jackson was injured so I called up youngster Adrian Ashton and he didn't disappoint. He played 45 minutes, his first for the senior team and bagged a goal in his Canadian senior debut.

So the 2nd Phase ends up:

• Canada - 18 points
  • St. Vincent & The Grenadines - 7 points
  • El Salvador - 5 points
  • Bermuda - 3 points

FIFA World Cup 2018 Qualifiers - 3rd Phase

The 3rd Phase draw has occured and our group is much more difficult than what we just played.

Group 1: Canada, Honduras, Suriname, United States

Group 2: Bahamas, Mexico, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago

Group 3: Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Jamaica

Being in a group with Honduras and the United States will really test us. However, we have about 8 months to wait before this phase starts.

Excellent form at both club and international level although your 3rd phase qualifying group looks quite nasty.

Yeah, our 3rd phase group is definity not nice. We'll have to take out either the United States or Honduras somehow. I don't care which one falls, so long as one does!

November 2015 Update

Eredivisie

November was a shorter month due of all of the international breaks. It was an odd month though. We struggled in ties against Roda JC and AZ. We just weren't able to open them up like other teams. And then there was Ajax. A day before the match, I got a message that my goalkeeper got injured in training, which meant I had to use my loanee backup who hadn't played a game yet.

The match was one for the ages. They opened up early with a goal about 30 seconds into the match. At that point, I was already dreading what would happen to my inexperienced goalkeeper. However, we fought back, getting 4 in the first half to carry a significant 3 goal lead. But then my squad got cocky and it cost us. Ajax got 2 quick goals after the break. From here on out it was an exchange back and forth. They never got a tie on us and we were able to hold on and beat last season's champions. This is likely a huge win for us and could decide the season. I don't like the number of goals we conceded but it's understandable given that we had to use a cold goalkeeper. Just happy we got more!

fixv.png

The Standings

standef.png

We are 2 matches away from the season's halfway mark and sitting in 1st place by a hair. Vitesse is right behind us and have a game in hand. It's the same for teams at the top of the table as it was last year and I expect that positions will change hands more than a few times before we see the end. I just hope that we stay on top!

So you've conceded only 18 goals all season, but 8 of them have come in the last 3 matches? Ouch! Nice scoring record though! I've never had a 6-5, but have had a 5-4 and several 4-4 draws. What formation are you using to score at that rate? I could certainly use an alternative tactic to tighten my defence without sacrificing too much up top.

Some game for the neutrals that Ajax game :D.

It was indeed!

So you've conceded only 18 goals all season, but 8 of them have come in the last 3 matches? Ouch! Nice scoring record though! I've never had a 6-5, but have had a 5-4 and several 4-4 draws. What formation are you using to score at that rate? I could certainly use an alternative tactic to tighten my defence without sacrificing too much up top.

I'm using a flat 4-4-2. Fullbacks are more stay at home and move the ball up to wingers rather than attempt crosses of their own. I also use a defending corner routine that sets one of my strikers on the edge of play to win any ball that get headed out of the 16 yard box. With their pace and acceleration, they can beat most defenders for a decent number of goals for a breakaway run down the pitch. Other than that, nothing too special.

Honduras, please. :D

If the Stars and Stripes go down, I won't be crying ;)

Still undefeated :)

Cheers, deltablue! Still :)

Looking good in the league, has the makings of an exciting second half of the season.

The table is crazy close still. I'm leading, but it's only by a point.

Nice to see you still unbeaten and the Ajax game looked a right cracker.Glad to see you came out on top of it though.

That Ajax match likely induced a few heart attacks for betting houses! I'm happy to be on top too.

December 2015 Update

Eredivisie

A more modest month than last. However, our tie against FC Twente has enabled a few teams to close the gap with us in the standings. It was another game in which we just couldn't hold out to the end. I was also playing my goalkeeper still a bit injuried which may have had something to do with it. The other two matches were relatively easy.

fixl.png

KNVB Bekker Cup

This was a match in which we should have dominated and we did in possession and shots. However, we just couldn't beat their goalkeeper. The extra time enabled us to chip away at a tired opposition and seal the win but I wish we could have taken care of it in regular time.

knvb.png

The Standings

standke.png

We are just over the halfway mark of the season and still hanging on to that top shot...barely. Just like last year, Ajax, PSV, and Vitesse are all right with us. I don't expect that to change. If I want to make any distance between us and them we will need to beat them when those matches come up. I am very happy to still be undefeated! We have had a few scares along the way and I'm not really looking for the honour at the end of the season, but if it happens, it would be a first for me.

Archived