Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanted to see what everyone's reaction was like when Rafa was appointed manager, most people were pissed off about it.

Rafa :cool: Don't get the Rafa hate. He's a far superior manager than Di Matteo and I'd like to see what he can do with this squad (especially post January when we get in a striker).

Still think that? :D

I know it will probably be scant consolation to you now, but I thought Mata and Lampard were excellent last night. In the first half you weren't very fluent, would probably have been better with Hazard on the left. Bertrand just isn't a winger, Benayoun should probably be ahead of him, and Marin must be in dreadful form.

In the second half you were just keeping possession for much of the time, which was where Lampard excelled, particularly after we switched to 4-4-2.

I think the hatred of Benitez is a bit pathetic if I'm totally honest, it isn't his fault that Di Matteo was sacked in shambolic circumstances. Abramovich should be the target of your fury, not Benitez.

Di Matteo's man management is far superior to Benitez's, as well as his substitutions and team selections. I'm not saying Robbie was perfect, far from it, but Benitez just seems to have none of the skills of a manager. He'd be a great coach, as I've said before, I think he trains a team well and deals with fitness well, but as soon as a match comes round he has no clue what to do.

I had a drink with a Liverpool mate of mine last night, and every criticism I brought up he couldn't really counter, he said that he reckons a lot of Liverpool fans forget that a lot of them wanted Benitez to leave and the reasons why. His man management is and was awful (see Alonso, Benayoun et al) and his substitutions and selections were pretty shocking even then at times. A lot of people forget that when Liverpool finished second, they could easily have won it had Torres not be rested/subbed at strange times.

Di Matteo's man management is far superior to Benitez's, as well as his substitutions and team selections. I'm not saying Robbie was perfect, far from it, but Benitez just seems to have none of the skills of a manager. He'd be a great coach, as I've said before, I think he trains a team well and deals with fitness well, but as soon as a match comes round he has no clue what to do.
Di Matteo's didn't make to many substitutions tbh, and didn't know what to do to change a game as if he made a sub it was something like Oscar/Hazard off for Moses/Sturridge (or vice versa at times in Moses' case) and the odd time he'd put Bertrand on. As far as team selections go, Di Matteo's general starting XI doesn't vary from Benitez's assuming we have Moses and Mikel here.

Di Matteo's didn't make to many substitutions tbh, and didn't know what to do to change a game as if he made a sub it was something like Oscar/Hazard off for Moses/Sturridge (or vice versa at times in Moses' case) and the odd time he'd put Bertrand on. As far as team selections go, Di Matteo's general starting XI doesn't vary from Benitez's assuming we have Moses and Mikel here.

But Di Matteo's subs weren't right back for right back when desperately chasing a game with a striker on the bench, or leaving JT on the bench to bring on a striker in the last minute while you're just hanging on for to a 2-1 lead. I'm not saying Robbie was a genius with his subs, but I didn't sit there thinking "wtf is he doing" almost every time he made a sub. Also, Di Matteo never really had the option of Marin, we do now, yet he remains on the bench while Bertrand is starting at left wing. I like Bertrand a lot, but he's not a winger. Again, not saying Robbie was perfect, but this guy is a ****-wit

RdM is a miles better fit for the club, that's not even debatable. I also think RdM could have improved with each year and really turned into a very good manager for us, something that will never happen with Rafa, he's finished as a top level manager whereas Robbie is really just starting. Typing that reminds me of how horrendous a decision it was to replace RdM with Rafa, my word.

Rafa Benitez on 20th January says now that we have signed Ba, Torres can get a rest and then he will start to play better.

Since 20th of January Torres has played 269 of a possible 360 minutes of football and started 3 out of 4 games. WP Rafa.:thup:

A Brighton fan friend of mine told me today that apparently after some dodgy betting patterns one bookie suspended betting on Gus Poyet being the next Chelsea manager. Think it's way too early for him as Brighton is his first job as manager but would love to see Gus back at the club further down the line.

Basically it went:

Home v City - drew 0-0

Home v Fulham - drew 0-0

Away v West Ham - lost 3-1

Away v Sunderland - won 3-1

Home v Villa - won 8-0

Away v Norwich - won 1-0

Away v Everton - won 2-1

Home v QPR - lost 1-0

Away v Stoke - won 4-0

Home v Southampton - drew 2-2

Home v Arsenal - won 2-1

Away v Reading - drew 2-2

Also out of those games we were leading against West Ham, Southampton and Reading. In the latter two games we were leading 2-0. Plus we have also been knocked out the Carling Cup without scoring in either leg and didn't win the bloody Club World Championship.

Five U21 players released, no surprises. More interesting is that Deen-Conteh, Lalkovic and Nkumu haven't been but have deals ending this summer as well (according to my records).

Sad for Conor Clifford. Genuinelly thought after his performances in the Youth Cup a few years ago, he had a good chance of making it here.

So a big game tomorrow away at a Newcastle side who have a bit more confidence and some new players. I'm hoping we can dig in and get the win because with Wigan at home next game we have a real chance of putting some distance between us and Spurs. Especially as they have West Brom away and then Newcastle at home. Not the hardest games but not the easiest either.

I think we really need to get the 1st goal tomorrow. I think we can win but we need to play like we did for 85 mins against Reading but possibly be slightly more clinical in front of goal. Also defending would help as well.

We were ****ing atrocious in the first half

We were ****ing atrocious in the first half

Hmmm don't know why I thought it was more exciting in my head then :D Tbf the signal was very choppy when I was watching it. Second half though were better. Still we need to find a way of turning all this possession into goals.

Today I would like to see:

Cech, Azpi, Brana/Cahill, Terry, Cole, Rambo, Lampard, Oscar, Mata, Marin (even Benayoun), Ba. I love Bertrand but I don't think he's enough of an attacking threat to be playing there.

I have no idea. Physioroom.com says no return date and has Cech/Mata returning today so possibly not. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in there if he's fit. Will be a really tough game today but I will have much more confidence if Demba Ba is starting up front.

David Luiz is a better table football defender than a real one.
:applause:

As for today's game, Newcastle seem to play well one half and then have an absolute mare the other so it really depends he we come out and play (defend) as to whether or not we'll come away with 3 points today. Mata's apparently a doubt (the ankle knock he got at Reading) so if he doesn't feature, we're losing.

We've missed Mikel big time since he's been at the ACoN.

Mata has been passed fit to play along with Cech so I would hope they will both be in there.

So pretty much the team I said but instead of Azpi they have Brana with Cahill at CB. Also Bertrand on the wing. I like the look of that team though so let's hope they give us a good performance.

Archived