Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next PL game is Man City away so Ba has to start there. I think we could sneak a win if we play well, but that seems to be a problem recently. Happy with today and glad Marin got his goal. We again looked much better when Mata came on but we should have still won without him. Glad to have Hazard back, his goal and assist helped a lot.

Not really? It's a European competition ffs, much more important than the FA Cup for example.

I think the FA Cup is more important. It is a traditional cup that everyone wants to win and players no how important it is. If you asked Terry, Lamps etc what they would rather win I can guarantee you what there answer would be. I don't know if I am the only one but I will feel a little humiliated by us winning the Europa League as we cannot really use it as a bragging advantage over any teams.

Ditching the EL is elitist bull**it as far as I'm concerned. It's a European competition, second best European competition and beats winning any domestic trophy bar 2-3 League titles out there, admittedly EPL being one of them. But it's still something clubs should seriously aim to win. **** FA cup.

Don't take this in an offensive way but it is most likely that someone you who are slamming the FA Cup are saying this because you are foreign. English, Chelsea fans love the cup and so do the players, especially the English ones. Fans who watch Chelsea every week, most hardened ones know the importance of the FA Cup. Obviously we cannot play a youth team against Prague but it it necessary to have right now? No.

Haha, utter nonsense to disregard the EL ffs. Obviously the main aim is a top 3 finish but trophies along with that in the forms of the FA Cup and EL would be great.

Oh and according to nearly all of the papers and media portals in Belgrade this morning, Marković is ours in the summer. He was apparently in London during the winter break and had dinner with Ivanović, Marin and Lampard and signed a pre contract for June.

Don't get me wrong, I seriously respect FA cup and think it's a great traditional competition. But the last time I checked, we had 7 of those. European League is a new competition that might become even much more important than it is now. Winning it at least once puts your name on the trophy and in history. My point is try to win the FA cup but don't bloody ditch the EL. It's disrespectful and insulting.

Don't get me wrong, I seriously respect FA cup and think it's a great traditional competition. But the last time I checked, we had 7 of those. European League is a new competition that might become even much more important than it is now. Winning it at least once puts your name on the trophy and in history. My point is try to win the FA cup but don't bloody ditch the EL. It's disrespectful and insulting.

I didnt say ditch it but now we finish 3rd it is more games added to our fixture list, which City will benefit from, who we can realistically catch. But as you say we are in it so we should be in it win it. Just looking back, had you asked City are they happy to finish last in their Champions League group and avoid Europa League, they probably would take it.

Haha, utter nonsense to disregard the EL ffs. Obviously the main aim is a top 3 finish but trophies along with that in the forms of the FA Cup and EL would be great.

Oh and according to nearly all of the papers and media portals in Belgrade this morning, Marković is ours in the summer. He was apparently in London during the winter break and had dinner with Ivanović, Marin and Lampard and signed a pre contract for June.

What's he like?

In short, the best talent in the Balkans (along with Kovačić who moved to Inter). Very quick, agile, versatile (could operate in any of the attacking positions in a 4-2-3-1), technically good, a good dribbler and is pretty hardworking and a determined guy. Obviously not the finish article and his decision making could do with improving but I guess that'll improve with age and more experience.

Why is Marin playing the under-21 game when we have a Europa League clash this week? Is he ever going to get a real chance?

Well done Moses and Mikel, can't wait to have them back now

Maybe to get him in full fitness for the Sparta game. Lost 2-1 tonight anyway, the U21s and Marin scored.

Cracking goal by Lukaku tonight! I still think we should give him at least one more season out on loan though, he's improved hugely in past few months but don't think he's ready to be a regular for us.

He deserves a shot here. He is scoring and should be in the first team set up for sure next season.

He deserves a shot here. He is scoring and should be in the first team set up for sure next season.

He would only be 3rd choice at best though, whoever we bring in over the summer (assuming Torres leaves), Ba, and the Lukaku. He's said repeatedly he doesn't want to be stuck on the bench and in the reserves again, I'd say 1 more season and then hopefully he'll be ready to compete for a place as first choice striker.

Even if Roman splashes out and gives you the Cavani/Falcao you want/need, you're going to need more than them and Ba to last you over the season if you sell Torres. Lukaku is definitely ready to be pushing for a place in your first team, if you've watched him enough this season you'll see he has the kind of spark in him at the moment that Torres is desperately missing.

I do wonder what we will do with him. If he played for one more full season at a PL club then he would still only be 21 years old when he came back to us. Plus by then he would have another year of international football under his belt as well, plus he would have played more with De Bruyne and Hazard. Obviously he isn't the finished article yet, so maybe another year will smooth out some of the rough edges he has.

He would only be 3rd choice at best though, whoever we bring in over the summer (assuming Torres leaves), Ba, and the Lukaku. He's said repeatedly he doesn't want to be stuck on the bench and in the reserves again, I'd say 1 more season and then hopefully he'll be ready to compete for a place as first choice striker.

Maybe the trick is though don't spend £50m or whatever it is on a striker. Lukaku and Ba would be decent and if we can't ship off Torres, the he can just be rottated but Lukaku is getting better and better and has everything.

Maybe the trick is though don't spend £50m or whatever it is on a striker. Lukaku and Ba would be decent and if we can't ship off Torres, the he can just be rottated but Lukaku is getting better and better and has everything.

I'd be all for that, but we know Roman is gonna go and bring in someone new.

I just can't see Lukaku being happy coming back and not getting games, which he almost certainly wouldn't, not because he's not good enough, but because whatever manager we have will be under pressure for results and performances and won't want to risk playing someone who despite is potential is still pretty raw, when he'll have whoever Abramovich's new toy is going to be at his disposal

Tbf I don't think Roman would risk just having Lukaku and Ba either. Although it wouldn't harm us as this year we have looked so much better with Ba playing, I just can't see him relying on Ba and Lukaku. I wouldn't be surprised if we got rid of Torres, bought in a marquee striker and then maybe brought Lukaku back the season after, maybe letting Ba go. Who knows though, except Roman of course.

Tbf I don't think Roman would risk just having Lukaku and Ba either. Although it wouldn't harm us as this year we have looked so much better with Ba playing, I just can't see him relying on Ba and Lukaku. I wouldn't be surprised if we got rid of Torres, bought in a marquee striker and then maybe brought Lukaku back the season after, maybe letting Ba go. Who knows though, except Roman of course.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking will happen. We do need a third choice striker, but it needs to be someone who's ok sitting on the bench and not getting many games, and that's not Lukaku.

It shouldn't be Torres either really. He's too expensive/probably not effective enough even as 3rd choice atm. I would say a utility player who can player anywhere behind the striker and up front would have been useful. Such as Walcott until he signed a new contract.

I think its important for Lukaku to be playing regularly rather than being on the bench for us.

I would ship Torres out and bring in a good main striker to rotate with Ba and then either use another young striker who will be happy as 3rd choice or someone short term whilst Lukaku is away on loan.

Archived