Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Like **** are we.

Striker is really the only position we need a decent addition in because the club have (staggeringly) done a great job of positioning themselves with very good to exceptional talent for the long term everywhere else. Courtois, Azpilicueta, Wallace, Kalas, Omeruo, Luiz, Bertrand, Van Aanholt, De Bruyne, Ramires, Mikel, Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Moses, Kakuta, Lukaku. Not one of those players is over the age of 25 and they're all capable of serving a purpose now, let alone down the road. That's only including guys who are doing it in top divisions as well, because obviously we like McEachran and Chalobah, and whilst Piazon and Thorgan Hazard are also in top divisons I need to see a bit more yet (Thorgan is better than I ever gave him credit for, admittedly).

It's a shame the club is a cluster**** on so many fronts because lining up players like they have isn't easy but they've accomplished it ridiculously well so far.

I was just thinking about Lewandowski yesterday, seems like someone I could see us getting. Well rounded striker that we seem to preffer (insert Torres joke here). Jovetić seems more like a forward to me, not a typical number 9. Not sure how he would fit even though he's great. Having seen plenty of Rudnevs since they bought Badelj (meaning I watch them more), I can't see how you came up with him :D He can score and is physically good but I'd say he's technically worse than Lukaku which just isn't good enough for me personally.

• Administrators
I was just thinking about Lewandowski yesterday, seems like someone I could see us getting. Well rounded striker that we seem to preffer (insert Torres joke here). Jovetić seems more like a forward to me, not a typical number 9. Not sure how he would fit even though he's great. Having seen plenty of Rudnevs since they bought Badelj (meaning I watch them more), I can't see how you came up with him :D He can score and is physically good but I'd say he's technically worse than Lukaku which just isn't good enough for me personally.

Rudnevs wouldn't necessarily be signed to be the lead guy, but more of an accompaniment to a main guy, like sort of what Kezman was meant to be and never was. Not the most refined but I like his productivity.

I want a new Eidur Gudjohnsen really though. <3

Bring back Kezman.

But yeah, I'm also not so keen on us signing Falcao, would much prefer a younger, cheaper, more raw option, someone we could shape to fit in with how we play.

Would love to see Feruz around the first team squad in the next few years too

Don't see the need to get some bulldozer upfront tbh given we've got Ba who offers something different as he is more of a physical presence.

Jovetić plays upfront for Fiorentina and it's probably his strongest position but can alternatively play in any of the attacking midfield positions in a 4-2-3-1.

Not saying it needs to be a bulldozer, just a bit more strength than Jovetic, someone who's more of a number 9 than a number 10. Ba does offer that, and while I like him a lot I don't see him as being our first choice next season.

It does worry me a bit that we haven't been creating chances for either Torres or Ba, though only one of those has really been making runs for us to find

Apparently Edinson Cavani is good friends with Gianfranco Zola - there's a connection that deserves to be exploited. Don't know why everyone seems to have gone sour on Falcao at the moment, if we're going to sign a new striker I'd see him or the aforementioned Cavani as the ideals and Lewandowski third.

Phil detailed the problem with falcao. I don't really want to spend another £50m+ on a player right now tbh. We have such a great crop of youngsters at the club now, I don't think we need to spend much at all. Would be ****ing scandalous if players like Lukaku, De Brunye, McEachran, Chalobah never get a proper chance (like Sturridge didn't) because we're still blowing crazy money on players, or in the case of Marin, a middling amount of money.

With hindsight, Falcao should have been bought when leaving Porto.

It's the same for all players though; we should be identifying them at a younger age and have them grow into great players with us. It's not a case of necessarily buying unknown players, but people like Mata who can be got at a reasonable (ish) price for their talents. Oscar and Hazard too to an extent. They may not be cheap, but we've bought them before their peak, not at the top of it. Ramires and David Luiz are other recent examples with varying success. Nothing revolutionary there, just some common sense.

Phil detailed the problem with falcao. I don't really want to spend another £50m+ on a player right now tbh. We have such a great crop of youngsters at the club now, I don't think we need to spend much at all. Would be ****ing scandalous if players like Lukaku, De Brunye, McEachran, Chalobah never get a proper chance (like Sturridge didn't) because we're still blowing crazy money on players, or in the case of Marin, a middling amount of money.

I absolutely agree that we should be looking to youngsters instead of splashing out, but equally so we haven't got a striker on the club's books who is of the calibre we need. Torres is awful, Ba is very good but not great, Lukaku is still quite raw and not ready for regular starting football with us. If we could get one world class striker, backed up by Ba and possibly Lukaku if he were willing, that'd be perfect for me.

Klopp is feasible enough, writing himself out of it right now is not news, every manager we've previously hired under Roman did the same. Add Simeone and Conte to the other younger names you mentioned there.

On Luiz, I don't care that he did that. We're too soft at the best of times, need to be a bit more *******.

Looks like he's signed a 4 year contract extension so you can bog off :brock:

Apparently one of his supposed demands for agreeing to sign the contract was the permanent signing of Courtois.

I really hope this is the policy they're pursuing now, it does look like they are but who the hell knows what Roman will decide to do tomorrow, no stability in anything at the club. It wouldn't surprise me for us to sign no strikers at the end of the season, or to ***** £50m on someone not up to it again, whatever Roman's mood that day is will dictate our transfers. Just wish he had better advisers around him, and a manager who knew he had a couple of years at least.

9 month CL winning anniversary gift: thread from a Spurs forum as we won http://www.tottenhamhotspurs.tv/players-lounge/28126-bayern-munich-support-thread-fcuking-do-chelsea-34.html

Seen it on Twitter, absolute phenomenal read :D

Thanks for that, a nice dessert after the arsenal game :thup:

I really hope this is the policy they're pursuing now, it does look like they are but who the hell knows what Roman will decide to do tomorrow, no stability in anything at the club. It wouldn't surprise me for us to sign no strikers at the end of the season, or to ***** £50m on someone not up to it again, whatever Roman's mood that day is will dictate our transfers. Just wish he had better advisers around him, and a manager who knew he had a couple of years at least.

Obviously 50m+ players should be out as a transfer target, but right now so should anyone being signed to be a backup, regardless of age, we don't need anymore backup (OK, I might accept a striker, but we can do a half-season of Ba and Lukaku until January and see from there). Bring back the kids on loan, give them a chance and/or use them in rotation. The squad will be bigger just from those players coming back. We can get away with spending £0 this Summer I think, and the closer to £0 we spend the better.

Why would you be happy for our 2nd best player this season to just leave? What a crappy statement that is :D He should definitely be here next season, maybe not play as much but used more in rotation with McEachran and De Bruyne.

"SQUAD SQUAD SQUAD" should be the topic title because people easily forget.

Your post is just dumb. Yeah we can guess there was maybe a 0.1% factor the contract was a reason for the form, no one can prove otherwise. Or we can see he has been in better form for many many years and this isn't anything out of the norm?

Archived