Rotation between goalkeepers?

I played 2 seasons with Wiese and Adler on the same team and kept both happy. The only real consideration is that it doesn't really benefit your team to have a really awesome goalkeeper sitting on your bench each game when you could maybe sell one and use the money to improve a weak area of the team, all depends on your situation I guess.

Ideally you would want a young/old combination or rushing out/not rushing out. These way you can play the relevant one for each game.

Regards

i never rotate my goalkeepers.

Whenever i rest my best keeper to me anyway seems to perform poorly when reintroduced.

therefore i have trouble developing my young keepers.

I think the biggest reason for this is from the 2006 world cup when australia changed their keeper for 1 game. Schwarzers confidence was dented and wasn't at his best when he did come back. He later said that he prefers to know that he is THE number 1 & the pressure of competing for his spot got to him.

In the game it is probably just me looking for proof to fit the argument rather than vice versa, but i still do it.

I rarely change my keeper at all. I usually change my team in the early rounds of the cups or just change one or two players against weaker teams but never change my keeper. I usually play as Liverpool, and i keep Reina as my number one until he is 36, he plays every single game, unless injured. I agree with one of the earlier posts when a keeper returns to the first team he usually doesn't perform well enough. I had this problem when trying to introduce a younger goalkeeper to the team when Reina got older. I know make sure my younger keeper has been loaned out and gathered enough first team experience so i can put him straight in at the start of a season.

I do the same with jaaskelainen.

I always have my second keeper out on loan to a club that has him as first team with a recall clause(which i wont activate for less than 6 weeks of injury).

And my third keeper is being tutored by my first keeper & playing U18's & reserves.

I tend to have a clear #1 keeper. However, I would field my second GK (provided he's of enough quality) in domestic cup matches and in some continental games, particularly against much weaker opponents or when we're clearly through the next round just to keep him fit and to get hime some experience (if he's a young prospect).

At the moment I have two equally good keepers (both are called up to national first team): 1st aged 22, 2nd aged 28, and a really hot prospect third one aged 16.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a usual system - first choice szczesny plays all league games, and any champions league game with anything riding on it. I have a cup keeper who plays league cup, meaningless european ties and fa cup games - of course the cup games depends on how good my back up is, who i am playing and what round. I.e. I am likely to switch back to Szczesny if i was playing Man City in the FA Cup Semi Final etc

I normally keep 3 keepers in my squad,

1. First choice goalkeeper, plays all league games, all European games and most finals. I normally pick up a young goalkeeper in the first season or two to keep for the next 10+ years for this role.

2. Second choice keeper, plays all cup games, may play in Europe if I draw a particularly weak team or in the league if I have won it before the end of the season.

3. Youth keeper, Plays most of his games for the reserves, may play cup games if against very weak opposition or if 2nd choice keeper is injured.

This system has worked really well for me over the last few years.

Forgetting to switch back from your second or third keeper after a cup game is the worst. That said I like to have two keepers I can totally rely on, so it doesn't bite me too often.

Yep, like many here and many teams in real life, I play my #1 for league games and my backup for the cup. Probably makes no difference to his confidence in the game, but my backup will play the whole run in the cup (not just the easy games) - just as Barca do currently with Pinto.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a main keeper, but my #2 keeper gets Cup games and also a few league matches along the way because there are times when I specifically rest my # 1 keeper (without looking at any stats, probably about every 8 league games I try to rest the #1). I have been doing this same rotation going back to when series was CM and it has worked for me.

Archived