Baffled by fonts?

jonie2007

I have recently found out how to change the game fonts from within the skin folders and xml.I'm having trouble trying to get them to work though,I correctly put the font name in the xml and then put the ttf font file of my choice in the skins fonts folder,The problem is that most of the fonts i load up cause the game to crash,I get an error message just before the games front screen is about to appear,It just says that a serious error has occured and the game will have to close.The problem is baffling me as the font files are all identical,But some will work and most will not work,I cant figure out what is causing this,Has anybody out there got any idea what is happening,Thanks for any help.

It could be that the fonts themselves are too complex, taking up too much memory. I'm not sure but FM might have some kind of memory limit on fonts. Check and see if the font file's size (in kb or bytes) on the ones that don't work is larger than on the ones that do.

• SI Staff

Not sure what exactly you are doing but you should not be changing anything within the game folders where it is installed.

All user customised stuff is meant to be created in the My Documents area. To change the font you would create a custom skin with a fonts folder, your choice of font(s) and in that skin xml file you would reference the new font name you are trying to use and do it that way. And OTF (Opentype) fonts should work better than TTF fonts.

Not sure what exactly you are doing but you should not be changing anything within the game folders where it is installed.

All user customised stuff is meant to be created in the My Documents area. To change the font you would create a custom skin with a fonts folder, your choice of font(s) and in that skin xml file you would reference the new font name you are trying to use and do it that way. And OTF (Opentype) fonts should work better than TTF fonts.

Hi,Firstly all my user created stuff is in my documents.I will try again with opentype instead of ttf,And also keep my eye on the file size,See how this helps.

I am just about to give up on this now,The skin i'm using has font files that are t2k,I tried to open the file and i got the usual windows cannot open this file,So i followed the link to the teach 2000 website,Downloaded it and then opened the file.Great now the file opens,Only it doesnt show me anything,Theres is no sign of any fonts anywhere,What is going on,Does anybody know how i get to view the fonts,In t2k files?Also i'm confused by t2k,What is it,Can you get fonts that have the file name t2k,Like ttf?Thanks for any help.

Archived