O(ther) Verona!

Deisler26

(All Italian leagues loaded, Brazil on view-only)

Chievo-verona-logo.png

A.C ChievoVerona

Associazione Calcio Chievo Verona (more commonly called Chievo Verona or simply Chievo (Italian pronunciation: [ˈkieːvo])) is a professional Italian football club named after and based in Chievo, a suburb of 2,800 inhabitants in Verona, Veneto, and owned by Paluani, a cake company and the inspiration for their original name, Paluani Chievo. The club is nicknamed alternatively Gialloblu, Mussi volanti or Ceo, and shares the 38,402 seater Marc'Antonio Bentegodi stadium with its cross-town rivals Hellas Verona.

(information from Wikipedia)

Well, I'm back in Italy. Apart from my catenaccio career, success on FM has eluded me. I've struggled to be able to get any kind of traction in any league so far and I'm fed up with it. Am I the the FM equivalent of the 2000-01 Ipswich Town side? Or am I just out of depth outside Italy? So, in my guise as rookie manager Andrea Managerino, I've gone back to the homeland in December 2010 to spend the 8 months before the season starts trying to tinker with this team enough so that we end up being competitve enough in the first season.

We've been given the brief of Stay Clear Of Relegation and given £0 in transfer funds and a £250k wage budget to do it with. Only problem is, that we have a current wage budget of £284k. Shiiiit.

120px-Chievo-verona-logo.pngA.C ChievoVerona, December 2010-August 2011 Review

-----------------------------------

So, I started this reboot in December 2010 (using Brazil as a starting point). We had 8 long months with which to blend the team and work on our formation. We played around 10 friendlies, no team better than Serie C1 level, using a flat 4-5-1. Board rejected all calls for affiliates or improvements to the team/facilities. When the season rebooted, we were given a £275k wage budget and a £2.5m transfer budget.

-------------------------------------

Results

ChievoVerona 2 - 0 Gubbio (TIM Coppa Italia)

Alberto Paloschi scored twice to give me my maiden win as Chievo boss

ChievoVerona 0 - 1 AS Roma (Serie A TIM)

A rough start to life in Serie A, as we struggled against a superior Roma side, however, things could have been so different if Paloschi's shot hadn't come off the inside of the post, midway through the second half

--------------------------------------

Signings-wise, we landed two whoppers and were knocked back for another. Coming in for £3.1m was DM/M/AMC Marco Verratti from Pescara. He would be the man to run our midfield. Also coming in, although not until the end of the 2011-12 season, would be Mexican ST Carlos Fierro for £2.5m from Chivas. Both of these deals were on 48 month deals and we were also knocked back for Internacional's Oscar, when he wanted out, but the club wouldn't accept £12m at a final offer!!. We also got some experience in the middle with the free signings of Maniche and Cristiano Zanetti. Final two signings were DC/DM Tobias Figueiredo for £1m from Sporting Lisbon and a free agent DC, Jens Herdling. Coming in on loan was ST Paco Alcacer from Valencia C.F; AML Rodrigo Alborno from F.C Internazionale and AMRLC Joel Valencia from Real Zaragoza.

Sales-wise, we offloaded some talent to make room for the new talent. Davide Moscardelli and Luca Rigtoni were sold for £1.7m & £2m respectively to SSC Napoli. Davide Mandelli was shipped off to AS Bari for £525k. Striker Fernando Uribe was sold to Fiorentina for £2m and main DC Bostjan Cesar was sold for an over-the-odds £4.1m to Udinese.

Good luck with the Flying Donkeys, although not too much (as I'm sure Crouchy will agree as my fellow Hellas Verona manager ;))!

Ha! It was kind of the motivation TO take over the city rivals as Hellas gets the love, but Chievo doesn't!

120px-Chievo-verona-logo.pngA.C ChievoVerona, September 2011 Review

Results

ChievoVerona 0 - 1 AC Milan (Serie A TIM)

We matched them well, right up to the 80th minute when they bundled home a goal from a corner

ChievoVerona 0 - 2 F.C Internazionale (Serie A TIM)

Identical goals conceded from crosses did for us, but then again, things could have been so different if Marco Verratti had converted his penalty instead of slashing it wide..

I]21.09.11[/i]

ChievoVerona 0 - 3 Genoa (Serie A TIM)

Oh, FFS.

ChievoVerona 0 - 3 Juventus (Serie A TIM)

I don't, even.

Couldn't really get a tougher set of fixtures than that!

Well I'm certainly a Hellas man, but that doesn't mean I dislike Chievo - their side back in 2005 or whenever it was when they came up and finished 6th was excellent.

To be honest, I've gone to start again. We made it to Dec with just 4 points. A lucky 1-0 over Atalanta and a 2-2 draw with Bologna.

We could not seem to get a decent result anywhere and I hated the amount of 'lucky' goals that were scored against us. Crazy deflections, goalkeeper mistakes, bad offside goals, we just couldn't get a slice of luck. So I'm cutting my losses and restarting. Since I can't seem to take screenshots on my Mac, I'm going to have to describe everything. So, all bets are off, I've just woke up in the shower and it's July 2011 again! Bring it!

24th July 2011

(Pre-season Friendly)

logo-chievo-verona-calcio_25030469_49x49.jpg Chievo Verona........ 3

...........Alberto Paloschi 31

..............Marco Verratti 57, 68

hansa-rostock-shoplogo_50.jpg FC Hansa Rostock... 3

On the face of it, this was a horrific result against a 3.Bundesliga side. But, debuting a number of new players and a brand-spanking new, never-before-tried-on-ANY-FM, 4-2-3-1, it doesn't seem to be that bad....right?

We probably created more chances in this game than we did in the whole of last season! 17! But a shocking 12 of them were off-target. This might be to do with the tempo of the formation, so I shall decrease that for my next friendly.

New signing Marco Verratti was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch with two well-taken goals and an assist to boot for Alberto Paloschi. His passing stats were excellent too as he made 44 of 51 passes. Perparim Hetenaj was very disappointing as he only made 12 of 14 passes throughout the game until he was subbed. I think he'll sit for the next match.

A pity I can't sit my entire defence as we made their strikers look like Drogba and Torres. They tore us apart at the back which, again, may be the defensive line or roles given. This will have to be tinkered with as the pre-season progresses. Overall, I was happy with the first match and we should get better, the more we learn the formation

27th July 2011

(Pre-season Friendly)

logo-chievo-verona-calcio_25030469_49x49.jpg Chievo Verona... 4

...........Davide Petrucci 27

..............Alberto Paloschi 30, 45+2

..............Bostjan Cesar 48

3179.gif AC Prato........... 0

Much like the last game, I'm not getting carried away with this result, but it was a very pleasing step forward. I made the changes that I indicated in the last game and it paid dividends!

Marco Verratti picked up a knock early on and, rather than risk him in a meaningless game, I subbed him for Davide Petrucci who, not only completed 33 of 37 passes, but also volleyed home an exquisite opener. Alberto Paloschi then upstaged him three minutes later, cutting inside the full back before lashing high into the net! Paloschi made it safe in first half ET by sliding home a low cross by Pinga. Bostjan Cesar headed home three mins after the restart to put a high shine on the scoreline.

The movement of the players was very pleasing and I do think we could stay up this season, unlike my 'dream' before. Perparim Hetenaj rebounded from a 5.8 performance to finish with an 8.0 and 24 of 26 passes completed. However, it has indicated to me that we lack another ball-winning midfielder and a central midfielder.

31st July 2011

(Pre-season Friendly)

logo-chievo-verona-calcio_25030469_49x49.jpg Chievo Verona... 0

real-madrid-logo.gif Real Madrid...... 3

Can't complain at this defeat. We were hammered and rightly so by a FAR superior side.

Verratti and Hetenaj were anonymous in this game and, at 0-2 down to a Benzema double and with my DR Gennaro Sardo getting a knock, I made wholesale changes at HT. On came new signing Mika Ääritalo and loanee Brandão, along with a host of others and we worked a lot harder in the second half to play better, creating 4 or 5 good chances that were saved by Casillas.

More than anything, it has still highlighted that we need a new ball-winning midfielder and supporting central midfielder!

3rd August 2011

(Pre-season Friendly)

logo-chievo-verona-calcio_25030469_49x49.jpg Chievo Verona...... 0

deporlacor.gif RC Deportivo La Coruna... 1

This game was a bit more our level, but we shot ourselves in the foot in conceding the winner. Sardo's dallying on the ball let in the Depor striker who rounded the keeper and stroked into an empty net.

We seemed to get caught on the break a lot, which led to numerous scares, but equally, how we didn't score in a passage of play that saw the ball hoofed off the Depor line TWICE, I don't know! These matches are just about fitness now and getting the team talks right!

Archived