[FM12] - The Cream Always Rises To The Top [Eventually]

Kyle Seddon

After my poor attempt at a career save where i kind of lost my way a little, i decided to start a new thread, one in which i hope to keep going until the release of FM13. To try to keep the motivation high, this time i have set out a few rules and aims to ensure that happens.

I always, like most people who play FM, enjoy it when a youth prospect joins your club and you make him in to a club legend. I have only ever done this once with my Cardiff City save in which the fourth season produced a youngster who will always be my favourite regen ever to have graced my Football Manager experience. The Welsh youngster went on to produce a record 760 appearances for Cardiff and won nearly everything in the game bar the World Cup due to him being Welsh and Wales, in my save never getting further than the second round.

This time i want to eclipse what i did in that save but i feel i will enjoy it more if i take a club from the very bottom of what FM allows, a team with basically no youth facilities and make them thee best team in the English leagues and hopefully the world creating as many youth prodigy's as possible.

I am not limiting myself to the youth prospects having to come through my academy but i do have some rules:

- Player has to be 18 or under when i sign them.

- I can use the starting players i am graced with but any further signing i make, the player has to be under the age of 18.

- The only players i can sign are English/Welsh/Irish/N.Irish/Scottish/German players.

Further aims include:

- Winning every trophy available to me.

- Make as many youth prodigies, club legends.

- Have the best youth and training facilities in the world.

- 5- star reputation.

- Win and defend the Champions League.

- Eventually just have a team of youth products.

It is probably mission impossible with the time left available, only approx. 6 weeks till the release of FM13. Nether the less, its a challenge that sounds appealing and also intriguing and i hope everyone who follows enjoys.

Format

Monthly updates which will include:

- Fixtures/Results.

- League Table.

- Player of the month.

- Top goalscorer

- Any other relevant information.

When March comes, a screenshot of the potential youth products and screenshots of any potential players i sign.

I hope you all enjoy this thread.

Let the challenge commence... [Once i get home from work later this afternoon :D ]

gr1vV.png

After looking through all the youth facilities to teams in the English league structure, i settled for the Blue Square South and within that a team which has no youth facilities thus making it all the more harder for me to succeed. From here, i'll have to start right from the beginning thus ensuring the challenge, a) takes longer and b) becomes all the more difficult.

6Gq7F.png

Farnborough Town

Brief Summary

Farnborough F.C. began in the Southern League Division One South & West under the guidance of Andy Clement and Steve Moss (who later resigned to be replaced by Ian Savage). Farnborough's first league match was a short away trip to Godalming Town, where a lob by Ray Spence and a double by Rob Saunders, gave 'Boro a 3–0 halftime lead. However, in a second half played in driving rain, 'Boro tired and eventually drew the match 3–3. Another notable event of the season was a 5–1 drubbing of local rivals Fleet Town. Farnborough clinched the title at home against Windsor & Eton with a 1–1 draw thanks to a goal from captain Paul Harkness and were promoted to the Southern League Premier Division. The club also reached the final of the Hampshire Senior Cup, but lost 1–0 to Basingstoke Town.

The 2008–09 season brought many hopes, but they lost back to back promotion hopes as Corby Town won the league. Promotion hopes were dashed again as Gloucester City won the play-off final 1–0 at Cherrywood Road.

In the 2009/10 season, with the team easily on course for the league title, the club were forced to battle a winding up order in court. This led to rumours of more financial peril just three seasons after the new club formed. On 17/04/10 they officially claimed top spot in the Southern League Premier Division, and were promoted to Conference South.

S1qqf.png

As you can see, Farnborough are a newly formed team so do not have much of a history. My aim is to make history with this team and unleash them to a wider audience and eventually become one of the best teams in the world. Like i have previously posted, this is all time dependent, there is so much i would like to do here but there is always FM13 to hone what i have learnt here and create a save there that lasts the duration of FM13.

q7yFs.png

As also stated previously, a team that has no youth facilities which in truth will make this task all the more impossible. A challenge i relish.

KYyo6.png

Press Conference

Reporter: You sit here today as the new manager of Farnborough Town. What are your aims for your first season in management?

Seddon: Being new to management my aims are pretty clear, consolidate this football club in this division and improve facilities here. My hope is that the youth products within this club become the future of this football club.

Reporter: You mention youth being key to future progress. Have you ever heard the phrase, 'You don't win anything with youth'?

Seddon. Unfortunately, that is not something i agree with, my aim in football management is to produce top class talent that will one day, hopefully, play for the national team, i know were not there yet but my plans are advanced and are the future for this club. I don't want to sound over-ambitious but, results permitting, i hope to be here for a considerably long time, focusing on youth and reinvesting every available resource into the youth system at this football club. I want to see Britain's national teams compete with the likes of Spain, Germany and Brazil in terms of players coming of the production line, i have visited clubs in these countries and see how they work. My reputation is small thus i have to start small but i, one day will become big along with this football club. That is my ambition.

Reporter: One last question if i may. Your very sure of yourself as a manager. Where does your confidence stem from and is this something you can instill in to your team?

Seddon? You have to be sure of yourself in this line of work, if not, your players see that and it effects them. I'm looking to my players having a good reaction to my methods and hoping there is a bright future for me and this football club.

ukdXq.png

I first set about removing players i felt were not suited to my team and players who were on high wages. The club is £625,000 in debt and if i am going to invest in youth facilities i need to ensure i am in the black.

UVPq2.png

The above players were not suited to my style of play and one player was on £200 p/w and was only, by my assistant considered two stars, i felt i could do without him.

With the clubs pretty bleak finances i set about creating a schedule of friendlies which would encourage fans to come see the games thus bringing in plenty of revenue for the club. I had to ensure however that the games were not so tough that the team was hammered lowering morale.

c8vPF.png

With this, the debt was lowered by nearly £50,000 and on the bonus side, gave my players a good, strenuous work-out in time for the start of the season. Maybe the opposition was a bit tough after all, but morale is still pretty high going in to the new season.

Finances going in to my first season as manager. Bleak, but not as bad as they were when i first arrived.

XCwzv.png

HZsZm.png

Farnborough Town - The Team

ZBlkO.png

Obviously not well known established players and not players that are at all very good bar three or four. These are the players however that will get my through my first season in management before i look in to purchasing players under 18 at the beginning of next season and using my first batch of youth candidates.

Star Player

qZMjc.png

Managerial debut

Not the start i'd had in mind. I'd have taken the final whistle at 70 minutes as we were leading but we just capitulated in the final 15 minutes which only suggests one thing, stamina and concentration are two areas i need to vastly improve on, especially considering my team allowed three goals to fly past them in that time. Disappointed to start my managerial career with a loss but someone has to right?

e9Tts.png

6Gq7F.png

Farnborough Town

August 2011 Update

Safe to say, not the easiest start to my managerial career but it can only get better from here. If it wasn't for one player in particular it's easy to say i would be bottom of the league. Here are my results from the month of August.

p8tWw.png

This is how the table looks after round six of games. Not comfortable but a few wins would take us away from the scrap at the bottom. Still adjusting my formations and player positions while also setting team and player instructions to fit the player in that position.

TLexn.png

This is my player of the month. By far the stand out performer and converted all his chances available to him. A player who was already at the club obviously, my scout says he could become a leading player in this division. Rated as 5 star potential.

sngkL.png

Farnborough Town u-18 squad

This is my current youth team. As you can see there are a few players with real potential who could go on and make a name for themselves in this division. As my aim is to focus on youth, each of these players will be signed on to pro-deals as soon as they turn 17 thus allowing them more time to train and hopefully becoming better technical players.

DhYLo.png

Here is the current state of my facilities.

xl6AK.png

6Gq7F.png

Farnborough Town

September 2011 Update

A much better month resulting in only one defeat. The team are starting to learn how i want them to play and with 8 points out of a possible 15, i have propelled up the table and away from the relegation dog fight. Just hope i can keep it up.

ik9F7.png

This is how the table looks then after the month of September. Not a bad start after all especially with the new philosophy the team are playing and the training systems i have implemented. Something the players have never witnessed before on such magnitude.

HYvVZ.png

This is my player of the month. Been the rock in the heart of our defence and is forming a good partnership with Jeffrey.

vTF7Y.png

His attributes are falling but he is stalling on a pro deal meaning he is only part time. Something i need to work on if i am to increase his training and thus his attributes.

HhdxG.png

2nd Qualifying Round.

dvVzj.png

Great win for my team. Morale was high after defeating them in the league in the previous game. This, however, was something i did not expect. We were rampant and produced the best overall performance since i arrived at the club and not a bad way to do so adding £4.5k into our bank balance.

My aim is to get the team to at least the first round proper of the FA Cup.

Definitely have the squad to climb higher.

I'm hoping so. Not made any signings as I'm trying to keep the wage bill and club income in the black. Trying, being the operative word. Not looking for promotion this season mind and come the close season i will invest in youth players to push me over the line in the following seasons.

HhdxG.png

3rd Qualifying Round.

AOnWw.png

Great win in the end for my team and another 7.5k into the coffers. Every little helps definitely. Looking to push on in the league this month and looking forward to a 4th qualifying draw match with Forest Green Rovers where i think our run will come to an end.

6Gq7F.png

Farnborough Town

October 2011 Update

Not many league games this month because i had FA cup games and replays to partake in. Those results figure underneath.

Vpwg9.png

EfDKa.png

Slowly rising up the table. This is how the table looks for the month of October.

Jquyc.png

HhdxG.png

4th Qualifying Round.

Yonkh.png

Could and should have won the game. 3-1 with 15 minutes to go and our lack of concentration allowed for a team in a higher division to punish us. We have to learn from these mistakes as its things like this that cost us points and in this case an advance to the first round proper of the FA Cup. A reply to follow.

HhdxG.png

4th Qualifying Round Replay.

VwuIG.png

In a game where i only had two shots on target, i am delighted to have scored one and concede zero. We were under the cosh for a lot of the game, i changed tactic to make it more defensive considering the last game and to have come away, away from home with a win against a team in a higher division, i could not be more delighted. Confidence is high within the team and i just want to see how far it can take this group.

6Gq7F.png

Farnborough Town

November/December 2011 Update

A host of games to contend with in the months November and December resulting in a shaky patch sandwiched between some very decent results putting us in a good position in the table going in to the new year. Yes, granted, out of the cup competitions, would like to have made it further to add to the finances but i can now solely focus on the league and trying to get that promotion which will aid my squad in terms of monitory funds.

jkBq3.png

gh3Mb.png

All in all, good end to the year and looking forward to the new year and improving the squad in the January transfer window with some decent youth prospects.

6Gq7F.png

Farnborough Town

January 2012 Update

Nice little brucy bonus for my teams effort this month.

LOosA.png

Thoroughly impressed with my teams efforts this month. Sublime finishing, shoddy defending but all resulting in win, win, win. Rising up the table and slowly becoming contenders for promotion.

BonSD.png

CQVsT.png

Youth Candidates. 1.

HxwHW.png

Impressive crop in my first youth intake. Considering my youth facilities, youth recruitment and junior coaching are really low I'm rather pleased with the intake. I aim to take in most if not all to work with and hopefully push for a first team place within the year.

6Gq7F.png

Farnborough Town

February/March 2012 Update

Still in with a shout following the months of February and March. As you can see above, a pretty decent intake in the youth department and some well earned wins below. Happy with my teams performances and were sitting in a healthy position going in to the home stretch of the league campaign.

ekfVA.png

o4Tym.png

Bring on the final games of the season :D

gr1vV.png

So going in to the final two games of the season, there are three teams vying for champions spot. They include, Truro, ourselves and Welling. These are the remaining fixtures for all three teams going in to the final games of the season,

Truro

O5Yuu.png

Farnborough

vjQnF.png

Welling

yep9a.png

6Gq7F.png

Farnborough Town

April 2012 Update

Would you Adam and eve it. Truro lost their final game of the season with us only two points behind. All i had to do was win. Having been 2-1 up with 15 minutes to go, the inevitable happens and i go on to lose in stoppage time. Gut-wrenching. We know have to contest the dreaded play-offs for a chance of reaching the Blue Square Premier.

kfyAe.png

7L88b.png

After an exceptional first season as a football manager with Farnborough Town i set about eclipsing this achievement in the hope of securing promotion to League Two. Confidence was high after the teams efforts from last year. A mixed bag of youth blended with experience was key to my success and why should that stop? Out went a few players who did not impress and who i felt would not succeed at the next level and in came a batch of young players released from their previous clubs. Who i was most looking forward to seeing were Jesse Darko, formally of Cardiff City's famed youth academy and Henry Muggeridge released by Norwich, both 18 and with points to prove. A lot of players develop later in their careers and this is just what these type of players needed to kick start there careers again. Muggeridge turned down offers from Luton and Chesterfield to play for me, something i was delighted about.

DYDSK.png

JpLBI.png

With the adding of young players to my squad, i set about trying to increase the youth facilities here. Due to limited finances i was only able to increase the junior coaching budget. A start nethertheless.

FPpGf.png

Facilities are still predominantly the same as when i took over and it will be a little while yet before they can be upgraded. Finances have improved considerably as you can see further down but not quite at a level where i can invest in the youth facilities.

F0XV9.png

Out of the read at least and i aim to stay clear of it with high profile friendlies and tight control of the wage bill.

jzUAF.png

Those high profile friendlies included home games against Bolton and Crewe.

ANph2.png

Archived