Crucial Match Coming Up – Seeking Tactical Advice

Hello everyone,

I’m currently over-achieving in the league and find myself in third place (the final promotion spot), while I was predicted to finish thirteenth.

I have three matches to go and while I’m most interested in maintaining the promotion spot, good results in the final three matches could even see me win the title.

Now, my issue: my next match is against the league leaders. I feel that they’re a stronger team, particularly in attack. We both primarily play a 4-1-2-1-2 and I’m hoping I can get some advice on some tactical tweaks that might help me overcome them.

I don’t really have any width in my team beyond the full backs, so something like a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1 won’t work (though I expect it would be more successful than matching their 4-1-2-1-2).

Should I try to match them formation for formation, or does it make sense to change it? I was considering switching to a 4-1-3-2, with the reasoning that it might pull their DM farther forward (creating space behind him for my strikers), while allowing me to keep my DM on their AMC. From the passing stats I’ve seen from their DM over the past couple of games, I think he’s playing more as a traditional defensive midfielder than a DLP, so I’m not as concerned about giving him the extra space.

Does it make sense to man mark his AMC with my DMC, or would I be better off if my DMC keeps position with zonal marking?

Although the majority of their passes in the offensive zone come through the middle, a lot of the build-up play comes from the left full back. Is it worth marking their full backs (especially the left FB) with my forwards?

While I don’t have any real wide players, should I tell the team to play narrower and exploit the flanks? Normally, I have the width set wide and tell them to focus passing through the middle.

The 4-1-3-2 I’m considering looks like this:

GK

FB(s) – DC(x) – DC© – FB(s)

DM(anchor)

BWM(d) – AP(s) – CM(s)

TM(s) – AF(a)

Rigid counter-attacking

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Much appreciated!

I would be tempted to play 3-4-3 and be direct and man mark each of their midfielders and fullbacks and press them highly. I know you don't have proper width but a fast striker staying in a fullbacks space will stop their fullbacks coming forwards and giving them much width. With the 3 at the back you aren't really threatened in wide areas so you have 2 centre backs marking tightly and a covering centre back for anything they miss. I'm not sure if you have the right players to do this but that is how I would approach it.

I always play the same formation so I don't match the oppositions formation. But I do a lot of work in game to actually try and beat them, especially in the first 15 minutes. I can win most games by paying attention in the first 15 minutes. I did a full thread on it which you might find useful or give you another way of thinking. The link is here;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/305067-The-Full-90-Minutes-What-I-Do

Just an update to close-the-loop for anyone who's interested:

I decided to follow Cleon's advice and returned to the linked thread (which I'd perused before) and matched 4-1-2-1-2s. I watched the first fifteen minutes, when the team was playing well and only felt the need to make one change, reducing the amount of time my right back ran with the ball. The first half saw us hold more of the possession, but without creating much by way of shots on goal. My assistant's feedback just before half time indicated that we were unlucky to be behind (they scored about twenty minutes in off a quick diagonal ball into the penalty area and one of my centre backs was slow to turn and stay with his man).

I tried to push forward a bit in the second half by increasing the passing length (as suggested by both the assistant and observation that we'd had some success in the first half with it), but that final ball continued to elude us. As time ticked down and players began to tire, I made my three substitutions and began to push forward for an equalizer.

With about eight minutes to go, a cross into the box from my right back created chaos in their penalty area. My substitute striker hurled himself into the air, connected with the header, and...

...off the crossbar. On that same play he collided with a defender and went off injured. We were down to ten men.

As we continued to push for a goal, the defence was exposed by a quick counter attack and a goalmouth pass was tapped in to seal our 2-0 defeat.

Fortunately, a combination of victories in our final two games and other results allowed us to finish second and gain promotion to the top flight!

Thanks for the input, Cleon and Mustardpower (I'm kind of tempted to see if one of the archived saves will take me back to before that match so that I can try your suggestion).

Even though this match wasn't a success, I do see the value of scrutinising the first fifteen minutes very closely and will continue to do so.

Thanks!

Thanks, Furious! I used to think that watching each game in full would take much too long and would be of little value. But, after trying this out I realised that I can easily watch the entire ninety minutes of a real game, so why not a game where I've chosen the players and tactics and I have some control over things?!?

It's not for everybody but you realise so much more when you pore over this game. The good thing is that you can delve in a really explore it when you want to and when you want to play quicker you can do that too.

I have to admit, I usually go extended highlights these days but thats only because I know my team, I know most of my opposition and so I generally know what's happening. I tend to do Cleon's trick of watching the start of the match before going ext. highlights. I've been developing a new tactic which has required far more attention and that has been good.

It's just the long physio breaks or ball collecting breaks that kill me. Still, these seem to be disappearing and you can just watch the 'action' of the full-match. I don't generally play FM with a pub-full watching so there isn't too much chatting opportunity! Maybe my local would set up a feed to my FM lappy? Hmmm...

Archived