They're no Saints.

EoinS

I remember playing there once. Park Hall is a small place but by God the fans make it seem all that much bigger.

I was a backup forward for Bohemian FC of Dublin and I got my chance away at TNS. We lost 4-0, but the most shocking thing was the abuse thrown at us from the 1,200 Welshmen, Women, Children and Sheep. I vividly remember flashing a shot just wide and seeing a boy no more than 8 giving me the 2 fingers. That would be my last game as a proffesional footballer. I was released 2 weeks later by mutual consent. I had 10 years there, making 50 appearances. I decided I was done with playing.. I wanted to manage.

I was given a job at League of Ireland first division strugglers Monaghan United. After a month we had turned it around and were pushing for promotion. A bad finish left us in 3rd, missing out on a playoff spot to the Premier League. I was ready for the next season, but, I got a phone call..

It went by quickly.. I remember thinking 'Why would he pick me? Did I really do that well?' It was Mike Harris, chairman of TNS FC of Wales, offering me the managers position. This was a big step up, I would be competing for the League, the Cups and most importantly giving the Europa League a good go. No friendlies to let me sort out the team, my first game was a European night at home to Latvian side Daugava Daugavpils, who I knew nothing about.

Welcome to FMS, EoinS. If you can take time (and if you haven't already done so of course), have a quick scan on the House Rules at the top of the main page.

You've made a nice little start.

Welcome to FMS, EoinS. If you can take time (and if you haven't already done so of course), have a quick scan on the House Rules at the top of the main page.

You've made a nice little start.

I took a quick gander earlier and read through fully before. Hopefully I won't cause any trouble :).

Thanks, I think I'll enjoy this.

After looking at the strengths and weaknesses of my squad, I decided on a 4-3-3 formation. This was bad news for some players includin left winger Chris Seargent and on-loan youngster Ryan Fraughan. After deciding on the formation, I decided to add depth and strengthen to suit the 4-3-3. I have confirmed the signings of right-back Matty Collins, young centre-back James McCarten and nippy forward Lewis Codling. I have also managed to sign Steve Evans who was unattached. Talks are ongoing with midfield maestro Sean Thornton and Bangor centre back Michael Johnston. Loans are also a possibility but only if the big clubs are willing to let their youngsters go the Welsh League. Unfortunately for us, our first Europa League tie comes before the opening of the transfer window and we are forced to play some players out of position.

My first game in charge was a European one, at home to Latvian side Daugava in the first round of qualifying. Our Welsh counterparts Neath would take on Dinamo Tblisi in a much tougher tie. Our quickly assembled squad had a job to do.

Kick off. As expected they had much of the early exchanges but it was us that

got the first chance when Draper forced a corner with a stinging drive. Daugava picked up the pace and tested keeper Harrison twice. The game was looking like becoming slow around the thirty minute mark until Williams squandered a huge chance to give us the lead. In a counter attack, Nikita pulled a great save from Harrison. At half time, the goal keepers were seeing most of the action and performing well.

Half Time 0-0

The second period began slowly but on fifty-four minutes Chris Williams shot rebounded to veteran Scott Ruscoe who tapped in to give us the lead. Less than 10 minutes later we would be punished for slack defending when Andreev skipped past Marriott and found the head of Petrov who converted to give them an away goal. I made a couple of changes but the did nothing to impact the game. We have to score in their place but we have transfers coming in.

Final Score: 1-1

With the 1st of July came 9 new faces to the club. Costing us a total of £174K. I felt this squad was good enough to win the league by some margin. The pick of the bunch was Sean Thornton from Aberystwyth for £75K, Matty Collins from Neath for £40k and Chad Bond came in from Llanelli for £35k. I also brought in a striker called Cortez Belle, I predict great things for him. In my opinion, he's a perfect target man. We'll see though.

This was it. The second leg of the Europa League 1st round qualifying. The annoying this about this is, if we win, no one outside of Wales will know or care, same goes for if we lose. But a win gives us money and the unlikely possibility of a group spot. Our side showed six changes from the one that drew the first leg 1-1. It's a much better squad, but could they have gelled in time?

Kick off. We had the worst start possible. Andreev centred for Solovjov who powered a header into the net. One nil down. Ten minutes and they double their lead when Harrison fumbles a shot and Solovjov again finds the net and we have a mountain to climb. They got a corner 10 minutes before the break, Harrison flapped at it and it fell to that man again Solovjov and we were 3-0 down. Out of rage I brought on new goalie Ashley Morris for Harrison, a move he did not take kindly to.

Half time: 0-3 (1-4)

They slowed the game down in the second half and just as I was about to make subs, boom. It's Solovjov again, his and his teams 4th. We were out . Seconds later we found a goal when Scott Evans cross field ball played in substitute and debutant Lewis Codling who pulled one back. It was obviously not going to be enough as the full time whistle went and took with it a season in Europe.

Final Score: 1-4 (2-5)

After finishing off my permanent deals, I decided to look at some loan deals. We had many bids rejected, as the clubs didn't feel the standard of Welsh Premier League would suffice to improve the players. We did, however, manage to loan in 3 players from smaller clubs around Europe. In came 'Would you like' Fries 'With that' Deschilder from Club Brugge until the end of the season. We also brought in powerful defender Molla Wagué from Caen until May and midfield playmaker Marco Thiede from Augsburg Reserves.

As mentioned in the last Transfers episode, we would be playing a 4-3-3. This mean the sale of all wingers who cannot play competenly at the back, centre midfield or up top. Christian Seargent left to rivals Bangor City for £1k and Bangor are also in talks with right winger Craig Jones for the same price. Ryan Fraughan's loan deal from Stockport was cancelled.

We still have £110k left to spend, so future moves could be on the cards. I prefer to keep the books balanced, though.

We had a slight dillema during our friendlies, with one of then having to be canceled due to it being on the same say as the other one. Our first friendly, an away date at amateur side Gresford. We won 3-1 with Cortez Belle bagging a brace and his substitute Matty Williams finishing off the game. It was a performance you'd expect from a newly built team and shed some light on the 4-1 defeat to Daugava. Our next and subsequently last tie was an away trip to Birmingham City. Despite a fantastic effort, we lost the game 6-2. Our scheduled friendly with Rhos was canceled due to a mix up and it being pencilled in for the same date. So with 4 games and one win under our belt, we were ready to face the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League. We play at home to fellow title challengers Aberystwyth to start the season.

In our last spree of the market we brought in two players from foreign leagues. One of them was holding midfielder Matthieu Debisschop from Mons of France who arrived in for £1k. This was a great bargain and Matthieu will slot in to the middle of our midfield trio. We also signed pacey left-back Serginho from Portuguese Premier League side Feirense. Serginho has all the makings to be a great player for us and will start most games. Our last and final signing of the Summer market was Goalkeeper Kadú from FC Porto on a loan deal until May. Kadú is only 16 but has more talent than our 2 current 'keepers. He will be fighting it out with Ashley Morris for the no.1 spot.

We made our final sale, which was right midfielder Barry Hogan to rivals Neath for £1k. Barry would never had been used so I'm happy to have gotten some money for him.

To kick off the season, we had a home tie with Aberystwyth. Aber are rivals for the league title after significantly boosting their squad. We then travel to Port Talbot, who finished mid-table last season. This will no doubt be a tough tie however we did take away their main goal threat in Cortez Belle. To conclude the month we travel to favourites for relegation Bala Town. Bala finished 11th last season and haven't strengthened in any areas.

1. (h) - Aberystwyth
  2. (a) - Port Talbot
  3. (a) - Bala

The toughest tie looked set to be the opener with Aber, but we convincingly disposed of them, running out 5-0 winners. Marco Thiede notched a brace, while Chad Bond, Greg Draper and a towering header from Cortez Belle sealed the deal. Our away trip to Port Talbot also proved to be an easy one, as we came away with a 5-2 victory. Cortez Belle scored a brace, while Thiede, Bond and Codling got us to another 5-goal trouncing. Away at Bala we once again comprehensively ran out the winners, defeating them 3-1. We led 3-0 for most of the game until a consolation from Stuart Hayes left our defence unhappy at not getting a clean sheet. Our goals once again came from Belle, Bond and Codling

1. TNS 5-0 Aberystwyth
  2. Port Talbot 2-5 TNS
  3. Bala Town 1-3 TNS

League Position: 1st

I was sitting at home, just lounging around really after a whole day of cleaning. I heard my phone ring, but I couldn't find it and missed the call. Minutes later I heard the sound on my phone that usually meant I had an e-mail or text, so I logged onto my laptop and had an e-mail that read:

Dear Mr. Spencer,

It is our pleasure to tell you that you have won the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League Manager of the month award for August. Our team of experts have deemed your 3 wins and the fact that you sit comfortably top of the table enough to merit this award.

We would like you to come and visit our HQ in Cardiff tomorrow where you will recieve your trophy and meet with the press. On behalf of the FAW and CorbettSports.com I would like to congratulate you on a great month and a great achievement,

FAW Chief Executive,

Jonathan Ford.

I was so proud of myself. I had never won an award like this. I owed it all to the players and I then remembered that there must be a player of the month award. Time would tell I assumed. Our next fixture wasn't for 10 days and I would miss tomorrow's training session so I asked my assistant to take it.

I rang him back after asking him to take the training.

"Hey, Mike?"

"Yes, Boss? What's the matter?" He replied.

"You don't happen to know if any of the lads were nominated, or even won Player of the month?" I asked.

"Uhhh, no I haven't heard anything. I completely forgot. Surely one of them had to be?" He asked, bemused.

"I thought the same myself.. anyway, I'll see you on Sunday."

"Yeah.. Alright Boss see you then, congrats again."

"Cheers, Mike."

I arrived at the HQ in Cardiff and recognised the face of Neath striker Lee Trundle and also saw a face that I couldn't quite put a name on. Something Rogers for Carmarthen? Anyway I walked in and was met with men in suits who greeted me kindly and walked me to an area with three trophies. Lee Trundle was standing over a larger one on the left and the Rogers fella was staning over a small trophy on the left. I glanced at the engraved writing on the trophy Rogers was standing over.. 'August 2011 Player of the month Runner-Up' and below it 'Steve Rogers - Prestatyn Town' I then thought to myself.. 'What the ****? Cortez Belle has scored 4 goals in 3 games, and this clown is deemed better!' Lee Trundle did score a hattrick against Airbus and Carmarthen so that was fair enough but this guy.. maybe he played really well but it seemed odd.

The press conference went well. After Trundle and Rogers finished theirs I was sat on a chair and asked questions like:

"3 wins from 3, do you think you can keep it up?"

"Do you think you are the right man to lead the team to glory?"

"Do you think the signings you made are good enough to improve the team?"

I had never heard such stupid questions in my life. What am I gonna say, no? I answered them in the generic way of 'Oh I certainly hope so?' and 'Only time will tell.'

I was confident though. We are going to walk this league. Bring on September.

My first cup match in charge of TNS would be the first leg of the League Cup 2nd Round away at Airbus UK. Airbus have had a decent start, winning two out of five. They have made a poor start in term of goals though. Only three scored and eight conceded in five. I was highly confident and fielded a strong team to hopefully finish they tie here and now. We had one missing in Serginho who had been sent off the match previous, he would be replaced by fit again Scott Evans. It was Morris in goal, Wagué and Steve Evans at the back, Collins and Scott Evans either side. Debisschop between Thiede and Thornton with Bond and Codling outside of Target Man Cortez Belle.

Kick off. Five minutes in and wing back Evans plays in Bond, who's tame effort was easily picked off by Lee-Bulmer between the Airbus sticks. Airbus were next to have a strike when veteran Gareth Owen centred for Danks, but his header went wide. Scott Evans picked up another knock and was forced to go off with right-back Spender having to fill in on his opposite flank. Twenty minutes in and we had a free kick in a mouth-watering position. Sean Thornton stepped up but his shot flashed inches wide of the goal. I was growing impatient and expected a goal by now. The unthinkable happened when Leah ran at our defence, only to be stopped by Spender. The ball broke to Owen twenty-five yards of and he hit it with all his might. Morris didn't even see it. GOAL FOR AIRBUS!! I went nuts. I roared at our centre back pairing who should have closed down the shot. One-nil down in a game we were clear favourites for. They shut down the game after that and we went in at half time.

Half time: 0-1

The second half started brightly when Thiede found Thornton who's powerful shot flashed wide. Hopefully we would pick up some momentum. It didn't however, and I was forced to bring off the tired legs of Codling and Thiede who would be replaced by Draper and Deschilder with thirty minutes remaining. Five minutes later and Thornton once again had a shot from range that had Lee-Bulmer scrambling but the young 'keeper was able to pounce on the loose ball. Finally, we got our reward when Debisschop played a short pass to Belle, who turned, looked up and fired one in from thirty. GOAL FOR TNS!! Belle is most certainly not known for his shooting, he's scored all his goals bar one, well two now, with his head! I didn't want to have to say this, but atleast we had gotten an away goal. The game looked to have finished but Airbus nearly snatched it when all Danks had to to was pass ito and empty net but, he tried to chip Morris who caught the ball and kicked it down the pitch. The ball was flicked on by Belle and it broke to Bond, his perfect long range effort was somehow kept out by Lee-Bulmer. The corner came in and was met by Belle, but his header was also stopped by Lee-Bulmer. The 19-year old 'keeper did himself proud and earned his team a draw.

Final Score: 1-1

Just as last month, there was only three games in September. We began the month with Llanelli visiting Park Hall. We had a fortnights break before that match so we were feeling fresh. Llanelli were third and pushing Bangor for second. The next week we travelled to Newton who had endured a dodgy start, losing all games bar one. After that was the League Cup game. Our final league fixture would be a tricky home tie against Neath. Neath were playing well in fifth place and had an in form Lee Trundle with them.

4. (h) - Llanelli

5. (a) - Newton

6. (h) - Neath

The home game against Llanelli I expected to be tough but, as I've said we are too good for this league. We won 5-0. Young Thiede started the rout after six minutes. Just before half time Debisschop got his first for the club to double the advantage. Cortez Belle got his 5th and 6th of the campaign in quick succession and Bond completed the job with ten minutes to go. On the back of that, we headed south to Newtown. We were dealt an early blow when Ashley Wells found the net. We soon found our rhythm however and Matty Collins levelled matters. After the break we were dealt another blow when left back Serginho was sent off for a rash challenge. With no left back on the bench, centre back Michael Johnston came on to do the job. We took the lead through Belle just moments later and never looked back. We had chance after chance until finally substitute Bond fired home to seal the win. We took three points and three goals back home with us. Next up it was Neath who were on a three game winning run, and were confident of continuing it here. Did they? Hah, no. It was 2-0 after seven minutes. Belle and Draper scoring. It was 3-0 before twenty minutes when Belle fired home from close range. Neath fans were already leaving when minutes later we were awarded a penalty and Andrew Fairbarn was dismissed. Belle slotted the penalty and we relaxed from then on in. We made it five on the hour mark when Codling's pace let him in to cheekily chip the goalkeeper and seal a 5-0 victory. Like I said, walking the league!

4. TNS 5-0 Llanelli

5. Newtown 1-3 TNS

6. TNS 5-0 Neath

League Position: 1st

I knew I would get it and got the same e-mail from the same people.

I then got another e-mail just as I was about to log off, from Cortez Belle. It read:

Hey Boss :)

Myself and Matthieu would like to thank you for helping us get the awards we have been given for this month. For us it just signifies your continuous hard work and dedication to make this club successful.

Thanks and well done on another great month,

Cortez Belle and Matthieu Debisschop.

That was more like it! Finally our players being rewarded. I'm certain it was Cortez who won it, after all he scored six goals in the three games last month. As for Matthieu, he held our midfield fantastically and scored his first for the club. I headed down tho Cardiff again and we picked up the awards and the press gave their usual question and we made our way back. We had a big game the next day, the second leg of our League Cup tie against Airbus. A win would send us to the Semi Final.

We have the away goal and in all honesty I am 100% confident we can get the job done today. In front of our fans was where we were most comfortable. Airbus UK Broughton were the visitors, they gave us a tough time at their place. We had to be mindful of their key players Mark Danks and John Leah. We were forced to field a slightly weakened team, with Collins, Thornton, Thiede and Codling dropped to the bench with Spender, Ruscoe, Deschilder and Draper coming in.

Kick off. Within thirty seconds we had a chance and it was Chad Bond who fired wide after a good run with the ball, we were here to attack. On fifteen minutes we got the reward for our domination when, fresh from his runner-up award, Matthieu Debbischop fired home from twenty yards. GOAL FOR TNS!! We were confident and Spender's strike from thirty five nearly forced it's way in, only for a top drawer save from Lee-Bulmer.

Half time: 1-0 (2-1)

I was forced to bring on Lewis Codling for a tiring Chad Bond during the break. The second half was being largely contested until with twenty five left on the clock, Codling raced through to fire past Lee-Bulmer. GOAL FOR TNS!! The Airbus goalkeeper was the thorn in our side last time out, but was no match for us today. We made it three ten minutes from time when Spender beat his man down the right, and centred for Draper who's powerful header left Lee-Bulmer standing. GOAL FOR TNS!! We knew the tie was sealed and closed the game out. Sean Thornton decided he wanted to finish with a flourish though and found the top corner with a beautifully placed shot with time almost up. GOAL FOR TNS!! And with that, we marched into the Semi-Finals.

Final Score: 4-0 (5-1)

"Hello?" My phone was ringing, blocked number.

"Alright boss, it's Mike." Usually a phone call from my assistant was about player performances in training."

"Whats up?" I responded.

"I'm afraid it's terrible news."

"Oh, ****. What's happened?"

"Cortez, Steve Evans and Matty Collins have all been detained in Llansantffraid police station."

"****'s sake! What for?"

"Sexual Assault"

"**** me! No ****ing way, this is ********."

"It ain't boss. They could all face jail time."

"I'll call you back. ****."

He hung up. I sat in silence for about twenty minutes and headed into town. I'd never been to the police station and by god never ****ing hoped to have gone. The lads were out celebrating our defeat of Airbus in the cup, I'd given the training off the next day. I was told I wouldn't be allowed into the station until the security guard recognised me and allowed me in. The boys were in their cell and I spoke to a few policemen.

"Right Mr. Spencer-"

"Call me Eoin."

"Sure. Well, Eoin, a young woman of twenty-three came in here last night and told us three footballers had raped her at Fire nightclub near town. We sent lads down to investigate and the woman identified three males. Cortez Belle, Steve Evans, and Matthew Collins. They have been with us since about three o'clock this morning. Your boys could be in a whole lot of ****."

I stood in silence.

"I assume they can't play until the issue has been resolved, right?" I asked.

"Or when they get out of jail." He said jokingly.

"Listen to me, these lads are a huge ****ing part of my team and I need them back as soon as possible, when's the court date."

"Calm down, Eoin-"

"Don't call me that." I responded snappily.

"Alright then, sir. You know who you're talking to?"

"Haven't a ****ing clue."

"I can arrest you too if you want?"

"When's the court date?"

"I'll make sure it's as late as possible."

"What the ****?" I said angrily.

"I'm a Bangor fan." He said, followed by a wink.

"**** you."

I stormed out and went home. We had nine days before our next game, pesumably without the lads. I was obviously pissed off at the policeman in the station but I was more so with the three lads. If they are found guilty I was in a load of **** and we would have a tough time over the next couple of years. ****.

It was a weird atmosphere around Park Hall for the game against Afan Lido. Nine days had passed since the incident and it looked as though centre back and captain Steve Evans would be cleared of all charges, but Matty and Cortez looked like they could be in deep, deep trouble.

The court case was set for two days time and all the lads looked out of focus. We had won all seven league games so far, but twenty-one points wasnt enough for a league title.

Matty Williams was the obvious replacement for Belle and came in as the target man and middle of the front three. Chris Marriott, a natural left back, took Steve Evans' place in the heart of the defence. Matty Collins' replacement was Simon Spender, who took the armband for the game.

We started slowly as expected but grew more into the game as Sean Thornton rounded the 'keeper and slotted home. Sean was a big player for us and proved it once more with a superb free kick after a half hour had been played. Into the second half and Matty Williams proved he was a worthy replacement and powered home a header to give us a comfortable lead. With time running out, we were awarded a penalty when Chad Bond was bundled over after some neat footwork. Sean Thornton stepped up and fired it home to earn a well deserved hattrick. We looked like running riot when Fries Deschilder fired home from just inside the area. I was happy and relieved that we saw this one out and we were given the icing on the cake when Lewis Codling somehow skipped past three defenders to finish and win the game 6-0. Beautiful.

T.N.S 6-0 Afan Lido

Thornton 14, 30, 73 (p)

Williams 56

Deschilder 76

Codling 90

It was a bitterly cold morning, 10:30 to be precise, as I pulled up on the curb. I was a in Ruthin, a small town of Denbighsire where the Old Court House was situated.

I knew I was late and entered the courtroom, I immediately saw Cortez and Matty, both with gloomy looks on their face. I took my seat alongside Mike, who whispered in my ear;

"Steve's been cleared."

I breathed out heavily. Too heavily as it turned out, getting looks from all around me. I said nothing, and listened.

The woman in question entered. She was smallish, blonde and a pretty face. She had the look of a scarred woman and fliched when she saw the bustling figure of Cortez and the big head of Matty. It turns out I was too late and the jury was ready to give their verdict.

"We, the jury, find Mr. Cortez Belle guilty of all charges."

Cortez looked up, stood up, and left. I could see a feint tear developing in his eyes as he walked by me. He was facing up to 10 years behind bars and would recieve his time later.

"We also find Matty Collins guilty of Sexual Assault."

Matty looked upset but he was also clearly relieved. He wouldn't be getting as much time as Cortez but any time isn't good. He will be missed. There was a wait of around an hour before we were called back into the courtroom to hear the sentences.

The judge stood up;

"Mr. Cortez Belle, I have reviewed all evidence and statements. I have decided a sentence of 5 years and 1 suspended will suffice. You will be taken to HM Prison in Cardiff.

Mr. Matthew Collins, I have also reviewed all evidence and statements. The sentence is 9 months. You will be taken to Parc in Cardiff also."

That was it. The two lads left, Cortez was in tears. Matty was nearly there too. Steve followed them out and said his goodbyes. I walked out to the van and told Cortez he would be missed, but what he had done was inexcusable. I told Matty he would not be welcome at the club upon his release.

Life goes on, without two key men.

We were eight points clear of Llanelli on top of the table, but the rest of the season without our top scorer and right back who stands head and shoulders above the rest in that department. No doubt, Simon Spender was a decent player with a good head on him and a bit of pace, but Matty was a Welsh International who had played Premier League football. Cortez had fourteen goals in his seven league games. That’s an average of two per game. Having said that, Matty Williams, his replacement, was a United trainee and scored nineteen goals here last season. I had faith in him. One injury, though, and the style would have to be changed.

Saturday, October 22nd 2011 – Carmarthen Away

This game saw us make two change from the usual XI with on loan Goalkeeper Kadú replacing an in-form Ashley Morris. The young Angolan had performed well recently in training. Steve Evans looked sluggish in training and it was clear that his mind was elsewhere so Michael Johnston was given the chance to impress. Other than that it was the same line-up. As per usual we began the game on the front foot and made the breakthrough when Marco Thiede beat the Carmarthen full back and centred for Matty Williams to head home. We quickly made it two when Greg Draper skipped through the defence and coolly slotted home. On the stroke of half-time, Sean Thornton lined up a free kick from the edge of the box on the left hand side. His effort hit the upright and Marco Thiede was there to fire home the rebound. The second half petered along with nothing much happening and with twenty minutes to go, a tiring Williams was replaced with Lewis Codling. This saw Chad Bond move to the spearhead of the attack. Bond was getting plenty of chances but just couldn’t find the net. The lads were tiring so I brought Fries Deschilder for Thiede and young James McCarten got his chance at the back, he replaced Johnston. The game was dying out, or so we thought, as Spender’s pinpoint cross was met by Bond who completed the rout and gave us a brilliant 4-0 away win. The job was done, and we were nine points clear.

Carmarthen 0-4 TNS

Williams 15

Draper 23

Thiede 45

Bond 90

As usual, I got out of my car and walked through the clubhouse and out onto the playing fields, balls, jerseys and cones armed and at the ready. It takes a while to set up training but it’s worth it. When I finished, I went inside and Joan the cleaner/everything that needs to be done person was there.

“Tea?” She asked, with a smile.

“I’m fine thanks Joan, cheers though.”

I took out the telly and searched for the disc of the game at Carmarthen in my bag. I watched the game fully and then went back and looked over stuff. I’m glad I was alone in the room; it makes it easier when you can talk to yourself! The back four were solid throughout, but I noticed something. Everyone who had started the game was completely and utterly wrecked with about fifteen minutes to go. It was only the ninth game of the season.

I ran out to the training area and re-arranged the cones. Less ball work, we had all the skill, and more fitness. I would have to make it seem less obvious and slowly make it more work each day. If we want to win the league, we have to be fit. Especially for next season, as we had the possibility of European Football.

After all the lads had arrived and eaten their breakfast, they slowly made their way out on to the training fields. They jogged for almost half an hour, some were fine, others not. A particular worry was our front three, Matty Williams, Chad Bond and Lewis Codling. They couldn’t keep up. Simon Spender wasn’t too good either. I told Mike to do drills with the others, while I had a word with the quartet.

“Lads, you all jog in your spare time, right?” I asked in a puzzled manner.

I was met with silence. I let out a sigh.

“That’s the difference between you and them.” I pointed to the lads having a mess about with Mike. “I need you all to have a jog, before training starts I want the four of you here, half an hour until I see fit. You need to be doing the same on the weekends at least twice a day. You’re professional footballers, who will most likely be playing in the Champions League next season.

They all nodded and I sent them back out to Mike.

When I went home I received a call, from Simon Spender.

“Hi Simon, you alright?”

“Yeah, boss. It’s just... “

“What?”

“I’m sorry about not being fit enough. It’s hard you know? I’ve got kids and a wife an-“

“Look, Simon.” I interrupted, “It’s alright. I’ll give you a hand. When you’ve got spare time just come down to the clubhouse. We’ve got a spare treadmill; you can work on that, or even take it home!”

“Really? Look thanks gaffer, I’m just nervous about losing my place.”

“Simon, you can’t lose your place. You’re the only right back!”

“Haha, cheers boss.”

“No problem, kiddo. Remember; I’m your manager. It’s what I’m here for.”

“See ya.”

“Bye.”

I sat there smiling. I love my job.

May be a long haul but I reckon if you can get through the first couple of rounds in Europe you could get the money to invest and maybe improve

I might just go through the first season cuz I know im gonna win everything domestically lol

Archived